Emerald Flame's Character Builds

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Emerald_Flame300

Re: Emerald Flame's Character Builds (Mechamorphs)

Post by Emerald_Flame300 »

RED IMPULSE

Dexterity 5
Fighting 4
Intellect 3
Awareness 3
Presence 3

ADVANTAGES
Assessment, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 16, Evasion, Favored Environment:
Airbourne, Move-by Action, Second Chance: REF save while flying, Skill Mastery: Vehicles

SKILLS
Athletics 3 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+7), Deception 2 (+5), Expertise: Covert Operations 4 (+7),
Insight 5 (+8), Investigation 3 (+6), Perception 4 (+7), Ranged Combat: Throw 5 (+10), Stealth 4 (+9),
Vehicles 14 (+19)

POWERS
* Armored Clothing (Removable)
Protection: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness)
* Red Impulse Team: Summon 8 (Active, Heroic, Horde, Mental Link, Multiple Minions 2: 4 minions,
Responsive)

EQUIPMENT
Heavy Pistol, Red Impulse Corsair

OFFENSIVE
Initiative +5
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 13)
Heavy Pistol, +5 (DC 19)
Throw, +10 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 18)

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation: Justice: Red Impulse is the leader of the Red Impulses, an elite flying unit that is sworn to
fight against the Galator threat.
Secret Identity: Red Impulse is secretly the father of Ken (G-1)

LANGUAES
(N) English

DEFENSE
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8, Will 8

POWER POINTS
Abilities 58 + Powers 93 + Advantages 25 + Skills 24 (47 ranks) + Defenses 21 = 221

Fighter Jet - PL 8

Strength 10
Defense -4
Toughness 10
Size Huge

POWERS
*Air-To-Air Missiles: Burst Area Damage 11 (DC 23; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 21 [8 ranks
only], Homing 8: 8 extra attempts, Increased Range: ranged)
*Machine Guns: Damage 8 (Alternate; DC 23; Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack)

* Flight: Flight 12 (Speed: 8000 miles/hour, 16 miles/round)
Independant Air Supply: Immunity 1 (Suffocation: Independant air supply)

OFFENSE
Air-To-Air Missiles: Burst Area Damage 11 (DC 23)
Machine Guns: Damage 8, +4 (DC 23)

POWER POINTS
Abilities 4 + Powers 64 + Advantages 0 + Features 0 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 1 + Equipment 0 (0
ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 69

Red Impulse is the name given to the mysterious captain of of the jet fighter team of the same name. Later in the series, it is revealed that Red Impulse is actually the alter-ego of Kentaro Washio, the father of Ken Washio.

Kentaro was an ace pilot, who could compete with the best. One day, Galactor attacked which caused Kentaro's plane to crash. Ken had thought that his father was dead but had actually gone into hiding and eventually joined ISO as the captain of the aerial force, Red Impulse.
Last edited by Emerald_Flame300 on Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Emerald_Flame300

RED IMPULSE TEAM PILOT

Red Imulse - PL 8

Strength 2
Stamina 2
Agility 4
Dexterity 4
Fighting 4
Intellect 2
Awareness 3
Presence 3

ADVANTAGES
Contacts, Equipment 14, Evasion, Favored Environment: Airbourne, Second Chance: REF Saves while
flying, Skill Mastery: Vehicles

SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+6), Athletics 4 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+6), Expertise: Aircraft Tactics 3 (+5),
Insight 2 (+5), Intimidation 1 (+4), Perception 3 (+6), Ranged Combat: ???? 2 (+6), Stealth 2 (+6),
Vehicles 10 (+14)

POWERS
Armored Uniform (Removable)
Armor-weave uniform: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness)

EQUIPMENT
Fighter Jet

OFFENSE
Initiative +4
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 12)
Throw, +4 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 17)

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation: Responsibility: The pilots of Red Imulse have all sworn loyalty to Red Impulse.
Secret: Nobody knows who the members of Red Impulse are.

LANGUAGES
(N) English

DEFENSE
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 5, Toughness 7, Will 8

POWER POINTS
Abilities 48 + Powers 4 + Advantages 19 + Skills 16 (31 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 103

Red Impulse composes of fighter jet pilots that possess abilities that rival (if not surpass) many nation's air force divisions. Their main equipment includes red fighter jets that possess high-performance abilities and a twin engine that gives the jet high speed and great maneuverability. The jet's main weapon is a set of missiles as well as a vulcan gun that has a high firing rate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Huh, so this one did the "Mystery Helper as Family Member" trope, too? That must've been big in Japan, as Speed Racer/Mach Go Go Go! did the same thing with "Racer X".
Emerald_Flame300

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:28 pm Huh, so this one did the "Mystery Helper as Family Member" trope, too? That must've been big in Japan, as Speed Racer/Mach Go Go Go! did the same thing with "Racer X".
Yeah, It seems like that the trope is frequently used.
Emerald_Flame300

Re: Emerald Flame's Character Builds (Gatchaman)

Stand by....

I finally decided to tackle a favorite of mine.

RONIN WARRIORS!!

-or- In Japan... Yoroiden Samurai Torūpā, which translates to Legendary Armor Samurai Troopers

I have decided to post them in one large block, so all the characters will be posted at the same time. My knowledge of the cartoon is based on the American version, so I had to delve into the net and use my Search-Fu along with my Wiki-jutsu.

I was able to get a good chunk of background info and so I think that I will be able to build some reasonable characters.

I am aiming at PL 10 / 150 pt builds for the Ronin Warriors. The reason for this is that I like to make characters that could be plugged into a game without too much hassle. The Dark Warlords will probably be around PL 12 / 180 pts. This was done for "show reality" in that it usually took at least 2 Ronin warriors to beat down one Warlord.

I do not know if I will be stat'ing out Tulpa. He is a near-god level character and I just don't know where to put his power level.

SO stay tuned... it won't be long now!!
Emerald_Flame300

RONIN WARRIORS

An introduction is in order... or more specifically... Backstory.

Thousands of years ago, there was an evil emperor named Talpa who attempted to conquer the Earth. The Ancient One was able to defeat, Tulpa and banish him to the Nether Realm. The Nether Realm is a ghostly realm of nightmares and formlessness.

Since the armor that Tulpa left behind could not be destroyed, the Ancient One split it apart into nine separate armors with their own powers and virtues. Each of the nine armors were infused with a Confucian or Bushido virtue with armors:
Righteousness (Wildfire)
Grace (Halo)
Trust (Torrent)
Justice (Hardrock)
Wisdom (Strata)
Loyalty (Cruelty) (Spring)
Serenity (Illusion) (Summer)
Obedience (Venom) (Autumn)
Piety (Corruption) (Winter)

The armors were then locked away until they were needed to defend the Mortal Realm from the evil Dynasty..

At the start of the series, Talpa has been able to re-acquire four of them, Cruelty, Corruption, Illusion, and Venom. He bestowed these suits on four humans who became his Dark Warlords.

The five remaining suits, were claimed by humans and now they fight the growing forces of Tulpa.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Ronin Warriors! I know the name, but not much else besides the armours. It reminds me of Saint Seiya. (Which really doesn't get stat builds that often, especially not in 3rd edition)
Emerald_Flame300

I have found that a lot of the anime series especIally the "supernatural " ones have a very "flexible" power level. In one episode characters can open massive dimensional rifts and then in the following epsiode they cant open a closet door.

Seriously though.. it's hard to quantify some of the abilities.
Emerald_Flame300

RYU OF THE WILDFIRE

Dexterity 5
Fighting 5/3
Intellect 2
Awareness 4
Presence 4

ADVANTAGES
Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical
2: Sword of Wildfire (Pair): Strength-based Damage 4, Instant Up, Leadership, Move-by Action, Power
Attack, Quick Draw, Sidekick 10, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+7), Athletics 5 (+9), Close Combat: ???? 8 (+13), Insight 3 (+7), Intimidation 1 (+5),
Investigation 2 (+4), Perception 2 (+6), Ranged Combat: ???? 1 (+6), Stealth 3 (+8), Technology 1 (+3),
Treatment 1 (+3), Vehicles 1 (+6)

POWERS
Ronin Armor of Wildfire (Removable)
* Armor Plates: Protection 8 (+8 Toughness)
* Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 16 (Traits: Agility +2 (+5), Fighting +2 (+5), Strength +2 (+4), Stamina
+2 (+3))
* Immune to Fire/Heat: Immunity 12 (Common Descriptor: Fire/Heat, Critical Hits)
* Instant Change (Jin): Feature 1

Sword of Wildfire (Pair): Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 23; Multiattack, Penetrating 6)

OFFENSE
Initiative +5
Grab, +5 (DC Spec 14)
Sword of Wildfire (Pair): Strength-based Damage 4, +5 (DC 23)
Throw, +5 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +5 (DC 19)

COMPLCIATIONS
Motivation: Responsibility: Leader of the Ronin Warriors
Rivalry: Tulpa

LANGUAGES
Native Language

DEFENSE
Dodge 9, Parry 10, Fortitude 7, Toughness 10/11, Will 9

POWER POINTS
Abilities 48 + Powers 44 + Advantages 25 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 150

Strength 5
Stamina 2
Agility 3
Dexterity 2
Fighting 4
Intellect 0
Awareness 1
Presence 0

SKILLS
Close Combat: Claws 3 (+7)

POWERS
* Growth: Growth 2 (+2 STR, +2 STA, +1 Intimidate, -2 Stealth, -1 active defenses, +2 mass ranks;
Innate; Permanent)
* Protection: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)
* Senses: Senses 4 (Accurate: Scent, Low-light Vision, Tracking: Choose Sense 1: -1 speed rank)

OFFENSE
Initiative +3
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 15)
Throw, +2 (DC 20)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 20)

LANGUAGES
Native Language

DEFENSE
Dodge 6, Parry 7, Fortitude 2, Toughness 6, Will 2

POWER POINTS
Abilities 26 + Powers 13 + Advantages 0 + Skills 2 (3 ranks) + Defenses 9 = 50

Here is the first of my builds.... I opted to post him right away. He is Ryu with White Blaze.

Ryo Sanada is the unofficial leader of the Ronin Warriors who is often accompanied by the large white tiger, White Blaze. Known to be brash and impulsive at times, he is nonetheless good-hearted and fiercely loyal. A tenacious warrior, Ryo was the first of the five ronin to engage the Evil Dynasty's force invading Shinjuku and the first to be rescued by Mia and Ully after their initial siege on Talpa's castle.
Using the virtue of Jin (benevolence), Ryo can summon the red Armor of Wildfire to become Ryo of the Wildfire . This armor draws power from heat and fire and armed with a pair of katana called the Swords of Wildfire. These swords can connect at the kashira to form a double-bladed sword style weapon from which Ryo unleashes his finishing move, the "Flare Up Now", a giant, fiery shock wave. Ryo later acquires the white Armor of Inferno, which requires the energies of four additional armors to summon. This armor's tremendous power was too great to harness until Ryo gained the twin Swords of Fervor, lit. Strong Violent Swords) by defeating Lord Sabrestryke. Together, Ryo can unleash the finishing move, Rage of Inferno which shoots rays of flame from the swords' blade.
Jabroniville

Re: Emerald Flame's Character Builds (Ronin Warriors)

Post by Jabroniville »

Huh- this is a show I'd only heard of, but never seen. You're right- if that was any more similar to Saint Seiya, there'd have been a lawsuit. That dude looks EXACTLY like a character from that show!

The issue with the lack of Seiya builds is that it was only popular in a few countries, and missed out on the North American anime boom(s) entirely. Despite how influential the show was, it is very unknown in North America still.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:07 am Huh- this is a show I'd only heard of, but never seen. You're right- if that was any more similar to Saint Seiya, there'd have been a lawsuit. That dude looks EXACTLY like a character from that show!

The issue with the lack of Seiya builds is that it was only popular in a few countries, and missed out on the North American anime boom(s) entirely. Despite how influential the show was, it is very unknown in North America still.
It feels like anime bulids in general are pretty rare now, too. I mean, you do still see them on occasion, like in this thread, but not like the ATT where there was an entire open thread for people to post their own anime builds. But yeah, despite Seiya's popularity in some places, it completely failed to catch on North America (probably because DiC's dub of it is..reeaaally bad.) Now, as a show, Saint Seiya is very much a cliched shonen series with a bland main protagonist, but I still really like the armor designs and special moves.
Emerald_Flame300

KorokoMystia wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:04 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:07 am Huh- this is a show I'd only heard of, but never seen. You're right- if that was any more similar to Saint Seiya, there'd have been a lawsuit. That dude looks EXACTLY like a character from that show!

It feels like anime bulids in general are pretty rare now, too. I mean, you do still see them on occasion, like in this thread, but not like the ATT where there was an entire open thread for people to post their own anime builds. But yeah, despite Seiya's popularity in some places, it completely failed to catch on North America (probably because DiC's dub of it is..reeaaally bad.) Now, as a show, Saint Seiya is very much a cliched shonen series with a bland main protagonist, but I still really like the armor designs and special moves.
Acruelly, I think Ronin Warriors arrived on the anime scene BEFORE Saint Seiya. I could be wrong thought.

I've been a fan fan of anime for a long time. I enjoy the story telling.. if not a little predictable at times. The biggest problem is that when the anime series arrives in America, they usually edit the hell out of it and crop out the more in depth or mature story lines so you are left with a lesser product.

I remember the anime thread on the 'Think Tank.

Stay tuned... I hope to have the rest of the Warriors posted today.

* quick correction:

Ronin Warriors anime first aired in 1988
Saint Seiya Manga first debuted in 1986.
Emerald_Flame300

CYE THE TORRENT

Dexterity 5
Fighting 2/0
Intellect 2
Awareness 3
Presence 3

ADVANTAGES
Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Assessment, Close Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Evasion, Fearless,
Improved Critical: Jumonji yari of the Torrent, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Luck, Power Attack,
Seize Initiative, Skill Mastery: Close Combat

SKILLS
Acrobatics 1 (+5), Athletics 4 (+8), Close Combat: Jumonji yari of the Torrent 9 (+11), Expertise (STR):
Swimming 4 (+8), Expertise: ???? 4 (+6), Insight 4 (+7), Investigation 2 (+4), Perception 4 (+7),
Persuasion 1 (+4), Stealth 1 (+5), Treatment 2 (+4), Vehicles 1 (+6)

POWERS
Ronin Armor of Torrent (Removable)
* Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 16 (Traits: Agility +2 (+4), Fighting +2 (+2), Strength +2 (+4), Stamina
+2 (+3))
* Gauntlet Claws: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 22)
* Immune to Water /Pressure: Immunity 14 (Common Descriptor: Aquatic, Critical Hits, Environmental
Condition: High Pressure, Suffocation: Breathing)
* Instant Change (Shin): Feature 1

Jumonji yari of the Torrent
* "SUPER WAVE SMASHER!!!" [Sure-Kill]: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Line Area: 5 feet wide by
30 feet long, DC 20, Reach (ranged): 5 ft.; Activation: move action)
* Yari Snare: Cumulative Affliction 8 (1st degree: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless
and Immobilized, Resisted by: Dodge, overcome by Damage or Sleight of Hand, DC 18; Cumulative, Extra
Condition, Increased Range: ranged; Limited Degree)
* Yari Strike: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 23; Multiattack, Penetrating 4, Reach (melee): 5 ft.)

Tanto: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 21; Penetrating 2)

OFFENSE
Initiative +8
"SUPER WAVE SMASHER!!!" [Sure-Kill]: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Gauntlet Claws: Strength-based Damage 3, +3 (DC 22)
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 14)
Tanto: Strength-based Damage 2, +3 (DC 21)
Throw, +5 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +3 (DC 19)
Yari Snare: Cumulative Affliction 8, +5 (DC Fort/Will 18)
Yari Strike: Strength-based Damage 4, +12 (DC 23)

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation: Protecting Earth-realm
Rivalry: Sekhmet, the Dark Warlord of Venom

LANGUAGES
Native Language

DEFENSE
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 12/11, Will 6

POWER POINTS
Abilities 36 + Powers 64 + Advantages 15 + Skills 19 (37 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 150

> Cye Mouri wears the light blue Armor of Torrent , which represents the element of water and the guiding virtue Shin (Trust). His rival is Sekhmet, the Dark Warlord of Venom.
> He is the oldest member of the Warriors and one of the calmest.
> His weapon is a Jūmonji yari, whose prongs can close, allowing him to grab opponents from afar or cut through obstacles. The armor is also equipped with a tantō dagger and a claw-like weapon on the gauntlet, but he has, apparently, never used either of those.
His sure=kill is Super Wave Smasher, a powerful burst of water.

> Cye's family name, Mouri, possibly came from the real-life Japanese daimyo Mouri Motonari.
Last edited by Emerald_Flame300 on Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Emerald_Flame300

Kento of Hardrock

Dexterity 4
Fighting 5/3
Intellect 2
Awareness 4
Presence 3

ADVANTAGES
All-out Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Critical:
Naginata Blade: Strength-based Damage 5, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Weapon Break

SKILLS
Athletics 5 (+10), Close Combat: Naginata Blade: Strength-based Damage 5 5 (+10), Insight 2 (+6),
Intimidation 1 (+4), Investigation 2 (+4), Perception 3 (+7), Stealth 1 (+4), Technology 1 (+3), Vehicles 2
(+6)

POWERS
Ronin Armor of Hardrock (Removable)
* Armor Plates: Protection 10 (+10 Toughness; Impervious)
* Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 12 (Traits: Strength +2 (+5), Fighting +2 (+5), Stamina +2 (+2))
* Immunities: Immunity 3 (Critical Hits, Suffocation: Breathing)
* Instant Change (Gi): Feature 1

Three-section Naginata of Hardrock
* Naginata Blade: Strength-based Damage 5 (DC 25; Penetrating 5, Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
* "IRON ROCK CRUSHER!!!" (Sure-Kill)
> Seismic Blast: Burst Area Damage 10 (Linked; DC 25; Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, DC 20)
>Shockwave: Burst Area Affliction 8 (Linked; 1st degree: Dazed and Vulnerable, 2nd degree:
Stunned and Prone, Resisted by: Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude, DC 18; Burst Area: 30 feet radius
sphere, DC 18, Extra Condition; Limited: Targets on the ground, Limited Degree)

OFFENSE
Initiative +3
Grab, +5 (DC Spec 15)
Naginata Blade: Strength-based Damage 5, +10 (DC 25)
Seismic Blast: Burst Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Shockwave: Burst Area Affliction 8 (DC Fort/Will 18)
Throw, +4 (DC 20)
Unarmed, +5 (DC 20)

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation: Responsibility: Protecting the Earth-Realm
Rivalry: Dais, the Dark Warlord of Illusion

LANGUAGES
Native Language

DEFENSE
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 9, Toughness 12, Will 6

POWER POINTS
Abilities 44 + Powers 68 + Advantages 10 + Skills 11 (22 ranks) + Defenses 17 = 150
* Kento Rei Fang wears the orange and brown Armor of Hardrock, which represents the element of Earth and the guiding virtue Gi (Righteousness/Justice). It is said to be the most violent of the armors. His rival is Dais, the Dark Warlord of Illusion.
* Kento is arguably the strongest of the Ronin Warriors, as he can perform feats of great strength without his armor.
* Kento has a short temper, but he also has a good heart.
* Kento is also good friends with Cye and Rowen.

* His weapon is a combination of a three-section staff and a naginata which he sometimes wields like a pair of nunchakus in close combat. The armor's sure-kill is Iron Rock Crusher which causes a massive earthquake-like disruption around him.
Emerald_Flame300

ROWAN OF STRATA

Dexterity 3
Fighting 3/1
Intellect 8
Awareness 3
Presence 3

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Contacts, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Evasion, Fearless, Improved Aim,
Improved Critical 2: * Ronin Armor of Strata, Improved Initiative, Inspire, Precise Attack (All) 4, Ranged
Attack, Skill Mastery: Ranged Combat

SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+8), Athletics 3 (+7), Close Combat: ???? 2 (+5), Deception 2 (+5), Insight 5 (+8),
Intimidation 2 (+5), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 3 (+6), Ranged Combat: Bow of the Strata 8 (+11),
Stealth 3 (+9), Technology 2 (+10), Treatment 2 (+10)

POWERS
Ronin Armor of Strata (Removable)
* Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 16 (Traits: Agility +2 (+6), Fighting +2 (+3), Strength +2 (+4), Stamina
+2 (+3))
* Immunities: Immunity 4 (Critical Hits, Environmental Condition: Space, Suffocation: Breathing)
* Instant Change (Chi): Feature 1

Bow of the Strata
* Bow Shot: Damage 8 (DC 23; Increased Range: ranged, Penetrating 8)
* "ARROW SHOCKWAVE!!!" [Sure-Kill]: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30
feet long, DC 20, Increased Range: ranged; Activation: move action)

OFFENSE
Initiative +10
"ARROW SHOCKWAVE!!!" [Sure-Kill]: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Bow Shot: Damage 8, +12 (DC 23)
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 14)
Throw, +4 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +3 (DC 19)

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation: Responsibility: Protecting the Earth-Realm
Rivalry: Anubis, the Darklord of Cruelty

LANGUAGES
Native Language

DEFENSE
Dodge 8, Parry 6, Fortitude 5, Toughness 12/11, Will 6

POWER POINTS
Abilities 50 + Powers 53 + Advantages 18 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 150

* Rowen Hashiba wears the indigo Armor of Strata, which represents the element of air and the guiding virtue Chi (Wisdom)

* His enemy is Anubis, the Darklord of Cruelty.

* He is said to have an IQ of 250, making him the most intelligent of the Ronin Warriors. He often acts as a voice of reason to Ryo and Kento's hotter tempers. Rowen is close friends with Sage, as they share similar interests

* His weapon is a collapsible bow which draws a seemingly unlimited amount of arrows from a small quiver attached to the armor's back. His sure-kill is Arrow Shockwave, an extremely powerful light arrow.

* Rowen's name Hashiba is most likely from Toyotomi Hideyoshi's original surname, Hashiba. Toyotomi was Oda Nobunaga's successor, and unified Japan under his rule for a short while.