Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Marvel 2099- Ghost Rider! Punisher! DOOM! X-Men!)

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:06 pm Marvel Wiki says that Titannus's armor had the power to absorb energy, including gamma energy, and he also had flight boots. He also appeared in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance video game.
ugh- Comicvine's bio doesn't include most of that. Very annoying. It also looks like he's a non-Shapeshifting Skrull.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Skaramine wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:02 pm Marvel has a "Hulk Skrull" and never sent him to whup on the Fantastic Four?

No wonder they're perrennially getting their asses kicked.
well, he's just a dumb one-off by Robert "Power-Geek" Kirkman, and he died in his debut in the dumbest way imaginable.

And "perrennially"? Until recently, Marvel was smashing up DC in sales, badly. What do you mean here?
Jabroniville

Preak

Post by Jabroniville »

PREAK
Created By:
Javier Grillo-Marxuach & Greg Titus
First Appearance: Annihilation- Super-Skrull #2 (July 2006)

-Peak was a one-off character who joined Super-Skrull's small army in Annihilation- he was a Class 1-25-level being who could duplicate into THOUSANDS of creatures, making him above and beyond one of the most powerful aliens in Marvel Comics (even doubling every two ranks, you'd need a TON of them to equal a thousand creatures- at least twenty ranks of Multiple Minions). However, he made a heroic sacrifice against the Annihilation Wave, dying in order to buy his teammates some time.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Um, I think Tyrannus' Complications might need some revision. Also --
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:10 pm And "perrennially"? Until recently, Marvel was smashing up DC in sales, badly. What do you mean here?
I think he means the Skrulls.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

The Turacs

Post by Jabroniville »

TURAC & ELIANNE TURAC
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Russ Heath
First Appearance: Dracula Lives #1 (June 1973)
Role: Originator of Dracula

-Turac was a Turkish warlord who invaded Transylvania in 1459- he captured Prince Dracula and instructed a Gypsy at a nearby camp to heal the prisoner. The woman, hateful of Turac for what he'd done to her people, decided to make him suffer, and came up with what in retrospect is one of the worst ideas in recorded history: she afflicted Dracula with the vampire's curse! So you know, this had repercussions- Turac immediately slew her, but the damage was done.

-Dracula murdered Turac for the destruction of his people (Turac had raped and killed Dracula's wife), then raised him as a vampire. Turac was then instructed to murder his own family, but was eventually himself killed by his surviving daughter, Elianne. Elianne swore revenge, and sacrificed a young boy to some "Dark Gods" for eternal life- the Gods also took all the positive things from her personality at the same time.

-Elianne would survive into modern times as a master of the occult and vampire-fighting. She had her men capture Quincy Harker and murder dozens of innocents in the process (to cover their tracks), all in an attempt to get Harker to help her find Dracula. Eventually HE found HER, and easily killed her and her agents. She was destroyed before she herself could rise as a vampire, slain by an officer of Scotland Yard. Her powers are simply "vague sorcery" (probably more Ritualist than anything) and Agelessness.

-And yeah, these two were kind of RIGHT on that precipice of "should I just actually make stats for them?". My dislike of vampires, and the vagueness of their powers & skills (Turac is just "Warlord + Vampire", while Elianna has some kind of "Magic") kept them out of contention.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:10 pm
Skaramine wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:02 pm Marvel has a "Hulk Skrull" and never sent him to whup on the Fantastic Four?

well, he's just a dumb one-off by Robert "Power-Geek" Kirkman, and he died in his debut in the dumbest way imaginable.

And "perrennially"? Until recently, Marvel was smashing up DC in sales, badly. What do you mean here?
The Skrulls get whipped. Secret Invasion was their closest return to awesome.

Marvel is my bar.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

And on that topic, the biggest issue for Marvel is not the diversity heroes (well, they might have gone a LIIIIIITTLE overboard with the character replacements, but I still don't think it's the main issue) it's too many crossover events and the price. I can read Batman for $2,99 or I can read Avengers for $4.99, No brainer. They got a little full of themselves and it's coming back to bite them. Nothing they can't fix.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, I noticed the price issue a few months ago. Marvel used the excuse that they're keeping stateside operators in business and that's why it's more expensive, but I dunno.

The worst part was all the tie-ins and stuff. Monsters Unleashed was pretty fun (at least until the "Buy our new series!" final issue, which was 100% just the last kid), but every friggin' book I was collecting had a tie-in, costing more than a regular issue. That was an expensive damn month.

According to my shop, the recent Marvel revamp is being treated like a "Jumping OFF point" by a huge portion of the fandom, and it's gonna kick Marvel right in the ass.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Skaramine wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:20 pm

The Skrulls get whipped. Secret Invasion was their closest return to awesome.

Marvel is my bar.
Ah, okay. Reading the first sentence, I was thinking you meant that MARVEL was getting whipped.
Jabroniville

Helleyes

Post by Jabroniville »

HELLEYES
Created By:
Doug Moench & Frank Robbins
First Appearance: Adventure Into Fear #28 (1975)

-Helleyes is a freaky monster with hundreds of eyes all over his body- he claims to control all of Hell (though of course he's one of DOZENS of beings to claim ownership there, as Marvel has numerous Satanalogues). The eyes on his body are portals to other dimensions, where his one-eyed minions haunt mortals with their own personal hells. He appears in a Morbius-themed story, as the Non-Vampire and some human allies confront the beast. He is killed by Morbius once the hero finds his "weak eye".

-Statistically, he's one for the "Hell Lords" Template.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:21 pm Heh, well my lack of comments were due to being out of town since Thursday. ;)
You and your mystery disappearances. You know how many build-sets you've missed out on because you didn't tell me when you were leaving? I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME, ARES :P.
Marvel 2099 was an interesting idea, just poorly executed. Whereas the Legion of Superheroes was set in a more distant future and more of a space opera with superheroes, Marvel 2099 was a cyberpunk take on the Marvel Universe, the potential to be their own version of Batman Beyond before that was a thing.

What hurt the overall line, I think, was that it was too "safe" in some ways. Spider-Man 2099 and Doom 2099 were probably the only decent titles of the run. Beyond that you just had too many legacy characters when you could have introduced at least a few new heroes. And a lot of the "legacy" books weren't even that interesting takes on the concepts.
Yeah, making the ENTIRE LINE aside from Ravage 2099 just "______, but in the FUTURE!" really made the line come off as redundant. And really, why would almost every superhero be a copycat of a prior one? Sure, they established that these guys were inspired by the "Heroic Age", but everyone was a plagiarist except the Mad Max Corporate Executive dude?
Having the X-Men still be an oppressed minority at the time was just the same premise as the regular books but with a different, less fleshed out cast. Why not do something where, after 100 years, mutants are actually sort of celebrities? Where even the freaky looking ones are seen as "cool" and "edgy", while the beautiful ones are like movie stars on steroids? They make up a noticeable portion of the population and are actually somewhat "protected", able to use their groups past persecution as a shield. So that the X-Men are no longer about mutants being oppressed, but have to focus on the other side of things where they have to police their own, keeping mutants from abusing their power and position.
Too forward-thinking for what was probably the most half-assed "2099" series. The others had some differences and artistic merit- this one was just a cash-in, plain and simple. They just wanted those "X-Dollars", and so copied things as quickly as possible. I remember my friends making fun of the group, even as they were trying to come off as bad-ass, with various members having easy equivalents to the X-Men at the time- Bloodhawk was Wolverine/Archangel, Meanstreak was Quicksilver (then on X-Factor), Krystalin seemed visually a bit like Storm (flowing stuff; darker skin; long hair). Xi'an was their version of Xavier, too.
Jabroniville

Techmaster

Post by Jabroniville »

TECHMASTER (William "Billy" Bitzer)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco, Danny Fingeroth & Frank Springer
First Appearance: Dazzler #7 (Sept. 1981)
Role: Forgotten Villain, Inventor
PL 6 (81)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Technology 4 (+10)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Inventor, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Metallic Hands" Strength-Damage +3 [3]
"Metallic Face" Protection 2 (Weak Point- Non-Face Shots) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Metal Hands +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+5 Face Shots), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Revenge)- Techmaster unfairly blames a rock promoter named Osgood for setting him up to fail with his fatal light-show.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 7 (81)

-Techmaster is a forgotten foe of Dazzler's, being an inventor whose light-display went out of control at a disco show, killing several innocent revelers. His handsome face ruined and his hands lost, he built replacements and sprung the Enforcers from jail to help him get revenge on the show's promoter, who he thought set him up. The promoter, a friend of Dazzler's, was saved when Dazzler arrived and knocked the villain back with her purse (she couldn't use her powers without any sound in the room, and hurt her fists on his metal-backed face). When Techmaster fell over the railing, he was saved by that same promoter, and willingly departed, saying they were even. His only other appearance in comics aside from this handful of issues was when he's shown equipping Johnny Guitar & Doctor Sax in an Initiative comic's flashback sequence. Otherwise, anything you could do with Techmaster would be better handled by Techno or The Tinkerer.

-A very weak, PL 6 villain, Techmaster couldn't even beat a powerless Dazzler, much less a real superhero.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Sham

Post by Jabroniville »

SHAM (Diamanda LaSalle)
Created By:
John Francis Moore & Ron Lim
First Appearance: X-Men 2099 #22 (July 1995)
Role: Would-Be Xavier
Group Affiliations: The X-Men 2099
PL 8 (92)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+6)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+4)
Insight 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Illusion-Casting"
Illusion 8 (Vision & Hearing) [24]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Disintegration +10 (+10 Damage & Weaken, DC 25 & 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (The Theatre of Pain)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 24 / Defenses: 10 (92)

-Huh- I apparently forgot one, as MC48 pointed out. Sham is an illusion-casting mutant who was captured by the Theatre of Pain. She escaped, and helped the X-Men out greatly during the process, joining up with the team soon after. She became one of the guardians of Halo City, but seemed to fall into the background after that, with her powers being ineffective, as Illusion-Stuff usually is.
Jabroniville

Ganymede

Post by Jabroniville »

Ron Lim's art really kind of started taking a dump after a point.

GANYMEDE
Created By:
Ron Marz & Ron Lim
First Appearance: Silver Surfer #80 (May 1993)
Role: Miss Fanservice
Group Affiliations: The Spinsterhood
PL 12 (165)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Space Traveller) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Improved Critical (Staff), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]

"Spinster Energy Staff" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [15]
Energy Blast 12 (24) -- (25 points)
  • AE: Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) (3)
"Spinster Belt" (Flaws: Removable) [15]
Flight 8 (500 mph) (16)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
-- (18 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Staff +11 (+13 Damage, DC 29)
Staff Blast +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +11, Fortitude +11, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (The Tyrant)
Responsibility (The Spinsterhood)- Ganymede is so devoted to defeating the Tyrant, that she initially refuses to give in to her feelings for Jack, as the Spinsterhood forbids such things.
Relationship (Jack of Hearts)- The two pair off romantically once Tyrant is defeated by Galactus.
Rivalry (Persephone)- Another Spinster is Ganymede's rival.

Total: Abilities: 96 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 10 (165)

-Ganymede was a Silver Surfer character and member of the Spinsterhood- a group devoted to wiping out the Tyrant. She attacked the Surfer, fearing him an agent of the baddie, but the two were kidnapped by Tyrant's REAL agents. The gang lost badly against Tyrant, but Galactus arrived to save the day- Ganymeded stayed at the side of Jack of Hearts, one of the heroes present (he was injured), fell in love with him and refused his advances, before finally giving in. Eventually, however, she abandoned him to continue the hunt against Tyrant (who at this point was already dead- I think the writers were just getting rid of her), and Jack returned to die in Avengers: Disassembled. Ganymede has never reappeared, even during Annihilation.

-According to ComicVine, Ganymede was typically reduced to a fanservicey role, being disrobed frequently, despite her membership in a "Spinsterhood" that refused sexuality.

-PL 12 seems high for a nobody, but Ganymede was able to hold off the Silver Surfer for a time, and had the advantage against Terrax- Heralds of Galactus are ungodly powerful, and you have to be top-tier in order to scrap with them.
Jabroniville

Warriors of a Thousand Galaxies

Post by Jabroniville »

Kirby always did some great one-off Goons.

THE WARRIORS OF A THOUSAND GALAXIES
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Thor Annual #2 (1966)

-Appearing in only a single annual, these four brothers were chosen to be adversaries of Thor and the Warriors Three during some kind of super-gladatorial contest- the Tournament of Titans, in Asgard. Alas, we only saw a little bit of them, as their fights ended without victors, and all the heroes combined forces against The Destroyer armor. Odin thus rewarded all eight as victors. We never saw these goofs again, which is odd, as most Stan & Jack originals popped up again and again.

-Brok the Crusher was biggest and strongest. Drom the Spirit-Weaver was tiny, yet created illusions so great that they frightened Volstagg, who frequently ran away from them. Galp of the Steel Arm wielded a heavy mace, while Tyr of the Burning Blade was a swordsmen.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.