The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Cyber-Samurai, Lady of the Eternal Winter)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Hardhat

Post by Jabroniville »

First guy in the third row.

HARDHAT
Hgt:
6'0" Wgt: 250 lbs.
Role: Charger
PL 8 (86)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Constuction Worker) 4 (+4)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Head Ram), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Synapsid Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
"Head Ram" Strenght-Damage +3 (Extras: Penetrating 5) (Inaccurate -1) [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Head Ram +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 9 (86)

-Hardhat was a simple construction worker, fired for stealing supplies and reselling them on the black market. Eager for revenge, he asked Dr. Khameleus to give him super-powers, but was shocked and angered at his permanent transformation. Seeing nowhere else to turn to, he joined The Dino Crew, and soon destroyed the building his old company had been ordered to raise. He stuck around with The Dino Crew on several missions, finding some destructive peers, but he was never considered a member with much credibility.

Jab's Notes:
I forgot I had this guy until recently- I didn't even include him in my plans! All of a sudden I realized there was another Standard Dinosaur Type I forgot! Hardhat is pretty simple- a PL 8, weakass type guy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Allosaurus

Post by Jabroniville »

Second guy in the third row.

ALLOSAURUS (Allan Szatkowski)
Hgt:
6'6" Wgt: 550 lbs.
Role: Lower-End Powerhouse, Mini-T-Rex
PL 9 (121)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+9)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
Power-Lifting 1 (25 tons) [1]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 5) [6]
"Dinsoaur Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]
"Carnosaur Bite" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) (Inaccurate -1) [3]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Groundstrike" Affliction 8 (Strength; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded) Linked to Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Bite +6 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 11 (121)

-Allosaurus joined the Crew, and basically acts like a smaller, more agile version of T-Rex, having most of the same powers. He seemed to get along with his teammates, but soon left to his home country of Poland, where the superheroes are less-dense. He also sometimes fights in the Maximum Fighting Championship.

Jab's Notes: Al is mainly there for completion's sake, and is a new one- I mean, why NOT add an Allosaurus? I figure him for the type of guy who was quickly forgotten (due to being a bit redundant on a team with T-Rex), only rarely trotted out.
Jabroniville

Thunder Lizard

Post by Jabroniville »

Last guy in the second row.

THUNDER LIZARD
Hgt:
9'0" (13' with neck) Wgt: 2,500 lbs.
Role: Powerhouse, Usurper/The Starscream
PL 10 (124)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 12 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Intimidation 9 (+11)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 7) [8]

"Sheer Size"
Reach 2 [2]
Features 2: Increased Mass 2 [2]

"Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Strength; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded) Linked to Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) [18]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +13, Fortitude +12, Will +4

Complications:
Weakness (Headlocks)- With his giant neck, Thunder Lizard is vulnerable to headlock-style grabs.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 10 (124)

-Thunder Lizard joined the team in its second big recruitment drive, but problems immediately asserted themselves- TL immediately began taking jabs at T-Rex's leadership qualifications (which, to be fair, weren't many), and suggested that as the strongest member of the Crew (aside from Ultrasaurus, who was largely non-sentient), he should take command. Eventually, he decided to simply fight T-Rex for leadership- using his size and weight advantage, he was able to overpower T-Rex, and defeated him. T-Rex left the group in shame, attempting to start random fights with other supervillains to prove his worth once again, but the hero Night Dragon encountered him, and was able to convince him that the only way to regain his reputation and confidence was to simply take leadership back by force. And so, T-Rex and a small group of superheroes attacked Thunder Lizard's Dino Crew, and took them down- T-Rex was able to get his win back, and booted TL out of the Crew.

-Thunder Lizard has largely not reappeared to fight superheroes very often, but has been seen in background scenes or in giant mobs of villains. He had a long run as a powerhouse in the Megahuman Fighting Championship, but consistently failed to win the gold- despite his power, he is vulnerable to some kinds of grapples, and the loss to T-Rex shattered his confidence, taking his "chin" and heart away.

-In his debut, with full New Villain Stink, Thunder Lizard was easily PL 11 as a Powerhouse. However, the years were less kind, and he plateaued quickly and lost some confidence, dropping to +6 to attack. He's still extremely strong and dangerous, but is no longer the Top Tier he once was.

Jab's Notes: I came up with the name years ago, but I didn't really think about the character until just now- I came up with the "Power Hungry" thing where he unseats T-Rex. Also, a bipedal Sauropod looks REALLY WEIRD. He basically needs to be huge just to keep from looking like a baby Dinosaur, because there's no way to make a human-shaped guy look good.
Jabroniville

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Alistaire Argent! The Dino Crew!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Jack of Spades wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:49 pm I am totally stealing the Dino Crew.
Heh- thanks. They're a fun bunch of losers. A typical "encounter" is just the Top Five (plus maybe Ankylus), but I couldn't help but just pile guys on to the group, and come up with weird personalities for some of them.
Jabroniville

Spinosaurus

Post by Jabroniville »

Second guy in the bottom row.

SPINOSAURUS (Andre Spinelli)
Hgt:
7'4" Wgt: 850 lbs.
Role: Powerhouse, Usurper
PL 10 (139)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Intimidation 9 (+10)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 5) [6]
"Carnosaur Bite" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) (Inaccurate -1) [3]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 4 (120 feet) [4]
"Sail & Tail" Reach 1 [1]

"Power Sail" Affliction 10 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (20) -- [21]
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Strength; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded) Linked to Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (18)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Bite +6 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12, Fortitude +11, Will +5

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 11 (139)

-Spinosaurus is a Mafia hoodlum marked for death, and joined The Dino Crew for protection- he drew the Superpower Lottery on the team, agreeing to become Dr. Khameleus' new creation- a Spinosaurus Man (the creature had recently-come into vogue, despite being known for decades, and Khameleus unlocked the DNA secrets of it). Joining the Crew for a few successful missions, he pulled the exact same trick Thunder Lizard pulled earlier, challenging T-Rex for leadership and winning (oddly, this went unmentioned by everyone). When, in the final stages of their latest caper (taking hostages on top of the World's Tallest Building), he was thrown off the roof of the skyscraper, resulting in his defeat. The Crew rejected him as leader immediately, and went to prison. T-Rex would spring them a weak later, but would pummel them for turning on him so easily, then let them get arrested again "to teach them a lesson".

-Spinosaurus is equal in power to T-Rex in every possible respect, but with a Dimetrius-esque Power Sail attack and longer tail. His bite is slightly less-Penetrating to compensate a bit.

Jab's Notes: Another newbie, Spinosaurus just fills the ranks. I thought it'd be cute to have another T-Rex level guy, and then do the EXACT SAME STORY that happened with Thunder Lizard! I mean, what's more comic-booky than repeating the exact same story over and over again?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Quetzalcoatlus

Post by Jabroniville »

Last guy on the bottom row.

QUETZALCOATLUS (Arlo Rodriguez)
Hgt:
7'0" Wgt: 400 lbs.
Role: Flying Villain
PL 9 (99)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Aerobatics 1 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+10)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Thief) 4 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+7)
Stealth 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Dinsoaur Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]
Impervious Toughness 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Power)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 11 (99)

-Quetzalcoatlus joined the Crew, immediately making himself known for an unusual amount of competence, especially compared to Pterrax. Arlo did well for himself, and impressed everyone, save the jealous, conniving Pterrax. Arlo wasn't rubbing it in or anything, but the others sure were, and so Pterrax connived to have Arlo taken out- he informed some powerful heroes as to what the Crew were up to, and pointed out that Quetzalcoatlus was the new ringleader, and most powerful member. The heroes divebombed Arlo and beat the living hell out of him, accidentally crippling him, figuring him for a Class 50 or something. Quetzalcoatlus never teamed up with the Crew again, developing Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Jab's Notes: He came out looking a bit cooler than I imagined, and I had to come up with an excuse for why he wasn't a regular on the team, since he's obviously better than Pterrax. As I imagined Pterrax as a snide, rotten, sneaky little bastard, this was only too perfect. Also, this is the kind of sick stuff that amuses me.
Jabroniville

Ultrasaurus

Post by Jabroniville »

ULTRASAURUS
Hgt:
328' (100 meters, longer with neck) Wgt: 200,000 tons
Role: Kaiju
PL 15 (123)
STRENGTH
19 STAMINA 20 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+4)
Perception 4 (+3)

Advantages:
Diehard, Improved Critical (Unamed), Interpose, Power Attack, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
Power-Lifting 3 (200,000 tons) [3]

"Kaiju-Sized" Growth 20 (Str & Sta +20, +20 Mass, +10 Intimidation, -10 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -20 Stealth) -- (192 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [41]
Impervious Toughness 19 [19]

"Tail Lash" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (30) -- [31]
  • AE: "Dinosaur Stampede!" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited to Movement Path) (15)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+19 Damage, DC 34)
Area Attacks +15 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +20 (+10 Impervious), Fortitude +20, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Survival)

Total: Abilities: -18 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 96 / Defenses: 31 (123)

-Ultrasaurus is a Kaiju, a giant monster created when the Atomic Bomb testing in the American Southwest irradiated the remnants of the skeleton of an extinct Sauropod species. Somehow reactivating ancient DNA buried deep within (SCIENCE!), the skeleton reanimated, but at a spectacularly-increased size. Dubbed "Ultrasaurus" after the dropped taxonomy for another little-known Sauropod, the creature caused a massive panic, but was discovered to be generally non-violent, albeit disconcertingly-large and difficult to feed properly. It was due to be transported to Kaiju Peninsula in the Pacific, but the Dino Crew abducted it during its move. They used a modified version of Valedictoria's Mind Control device to help turn the creature violent towards humans, and sent it against populated cities. The creature easily withstood the entire Legion of Light, but soon the Mind Control was countered, and the beast assaulted The Dino Crew, flattening them.

-Ultrasaurus has been Mind Controlled on two separate occasions, but has also been used by humanity as a weapon against other Kaiju, after it imprinted on the heroic dragon Raegon, having mistaken him for an infant version of its own species.

Jab's Notes: Ultrasaurus was created a few years ago, but was intended to be more of a guy who got TURNED into a gigantic Sauropod. But while thinking about some Kaiju for my setting, I realized it'd be cooler to go the Mind-Controlled Monster route instead, and so Ultrasaurus became an irradiated character with a ludicrous backstory.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

And once again, Jab, I'm cherry-picking the bad guys and finding guys I wanna swipe for a heel/face turn.

Allosaurus - I always liked him MORE than T-Rex just for the sake that he had proper arms. (Then I realized that a T-Rex's arms were even more muscular than Arnold Schwarzenegger's, they're just stuck on a friggin' yooj body.) Plus, he's Polish, so, why not? A basically dumb, but ultimately good hearted galoot given just the right chance.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Compsognathus

Post by Jabroniville »

Fourth guy in the third row.

COMPSOGNATHUS (Horace Holder)
Hgt:
5'2" Wgt: 112 lbs.
Role: Shrimpy Guy, Shrinking Villain
PL 7 (99)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+4, +16 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Size-Changing Harness" (Flaws: Removable) [24]
"Fun Size" Shrinking 12 (Extras: Affects Others- Limited to Objects) -- (6 inches) (30 points)
(-3 Strength, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation, -1 Speed)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (+12 Size, DC 16-22), Parry +6 (+12 Size, DC 16-22), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Responsibility (Small-Man Syndrome)- Horace is very sensitive about his height, and tends to act boisterous and energetic to seem "larger than life".

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 24 / Defenses: 7 (99)

-Horace Holder was a very short man, and prone to a classic case of "Small-Man Syndrome"- he stomped around, acting as "big" and ostentatious as possible, in hopes of seeming bigger than he really was. It rarely worked- people usually cracked jokes behind his back and made fun of his exaggerated actions. Failing to intimidate anyone in his early life as a drug dealer or con-man, he instead switched to being a messenger/runner for powerful dealers. Eventually, he moved up the ranks and got a new assignment- carting a "Supercrime" device across state lines. The device was one of the Shrinking Harnesses created by the Mighty Mite before his death- realizing this was his chance for the "big time", Horace arranged to have the pick-up people and the people who hired him killed by suggesting that each group had betrayed the other. He then went into business for himself.

-Unfortunately, he didn't have much luck, and realized he needed a "crew". The only contacts he could locate were the Dino Crew- the band of enormous chowderheads were naturally unimpressed by a non-dinosaur, shorter-than-average guy trying to join up with them, but he managed to convince them that his powers were useful in theft. And so he became "Compsognathus" (though none of the others could pronounce it), acting as a lookout, escape-guy and money-grabber. He only appeared with the team a handful of times before mysteriously disappearing- it was later revealed that he got annoyed at the group's disrespect and stupidity, said the wrong thing, and got smacked for it. He quit the team and sold the harness (which he admits he should have done in the first place) for a mint, retiring from crime and getting a "regular job" once the money ran out. He's more of a footnote to the team.

Jab's Notes: I figured at least a couple members of the Crew would be non-dinosaurs (I mean, how many guys would really agree to that?), and so kind of came up with a personality as I went. I figured him for a guy with "Small-Man Syndrome" after a few guys I've seen (including an old Store Manager of mine, who liked to throw his power around), which would naturally not mesh well with this team. So I invented an old Shrinking-Themed hero, gave Compy here an inferiority complex, and kind of went to town... then did the "the next writer forgot about him" thing to explain why he was suddenly missing. Not everyone's set up for this life, after all.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Last guy in the third row.

KENTROSAURUS (Ken "Kenny" Thompson)
Hgt:
6'4" Wgt: 525 lbs.
Role: Powerhouse
PL 9 (93)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 1 (+1)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Tail), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Power-Lifting 1 (25 tons) [1]
Impervious Toughness 3 [3]
"Dinsoaur Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
"Thagomizer" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (Inaccurate -1) [10]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Thagomizer +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +9, Fortitude +9, Will +3

Complications:
Secret (Identity)- Kenny Thompson is on the run from his old gang, and is now disguised as a dinosaur-man to avoid detection.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 10 (93)

-Kentrosaurus is the latest addition to the Dino Crew. A lifelong gang member who had a price on his head, he had two choices: disappear or die. With his old gang hunting for him, he agreed to be transformed into another Dino Crew member in order to disguise himself permanently. Upset and annoyed about his condition, he is vengeful and carries grudges, but still fits in with the Dino Crew (though, of average intelligence, he finds himself superior to his allies). He appears off and on with more recent groupings of the Crew, particularly when they're opposing an entire super-team.

-Kentrosaurus is essentially a smarter, less-powerful version of Thagomizer, lacking his raw power, but still fitting a PL 8.5-9 sort of build.

Jab's Notes: Kentrosaurus is one of my favorite dinosaurs, so I wanted to add one to the Crew. I figured on a Blue/Pink color scheme because I actually find that a very eye-popping combination. And also it'd be funny to see the other Crew members make fun of him for having such a "sissy" color.
Jabroniville

Raptor Pack

Post by Jabroniville »

Second guy in the second row.

RAPTOR PACK (Ray Troyer)
Hgt:
5'10" Wgt: 160 lbs.
Role: Summoner/Duplicator
PL 7 (204)
STRENGTH
1/3 STAMINA 2/4 AGILITY 2/4
FIGHTING 4/8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+3, +8 Deinonychus Form)
Perception 2 (+3, +8 Deinonychus Form)
Stealth 2 (+4, +7 Deinonychus Form)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Deinonychus Form"
Enhanced Strength 2 [3]
Enhanced Stamina 2 [4]
Enhanced Agility 2 [4]
Enhanced Fighting 4 [8]

Enhanced Skills 20: Athletics 7 (+9), Close Combat (Claws) +2 (+10), Intimidation 5 (+8), Perception 5 (+8), Stealth 1 (+7) [10]
Enhanced Advantages 8: Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Claws) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Set-Up, Teamwork [8]

"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Terrible Claws" Strength-Damage +3 [3]

"One-Man Raptor Swarm" Summon Deinonychus 6 (Feats: Mental Link) (Extras: Active, Controlled, Sacrifice, Horde, 32 Raptors +10) [96]
Immortality 20 (Flaws: Source- Active Raptors) [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Deinonychus +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Terrible Claws +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +2 (+8 Deinonychus Form)

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+10 Deinonychus, DC 20), Parry +4 (+10 Deinonychus, DC 20), Toughness +2 (+4 Deinonychus), Fortitude +3 (+4 Deinonychus), Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 162 / Defenses: 10 (204)

-Ray Troyer is the odd man out on the Dino Crew- he was just a punk kid who was hanging out with the wrong crowd, when they got recruited by the supervillain "Dread-Head", who was in need of some quick henchmen. This happens from time to time in a super-world- you're just hanging around in an alley or by a drughouse or something, and some guy in tights throws you a uniform and names you a "Dread-Man" or something. The crew was mopped up pretty quickly by the hero Silverwolf, but when Dread-Head unleashed the transformative powers of The Changing Stone (which could turn you into whatever you thought of), the artifact shattered- its dust covering Ray. He was thus transformed into whatever he was thinking of- he wished to outnumber the hero once more, and to have claws to match his. Trying to think of a clawed animal, all he could think of was Jurassic Park, and thus he instantly became an entire pack of Deinonychus (in his head, they were "Raptors").

-The "Raptors" soon overwhelmed both Silverwolf and Dread-Head (who was badly injured and hospitalized), and escaped- Ray soon shifted back to human form, but was unable to turn into any other form- the Stone had permanently altered him, but in a limited manner. However, he soon used his powers at will, defeating several heroes in quick encounters, and always escaping (he could simply make his "true self" the last conscious Deinonychus and flee). Eventually, he and the Dino Crew met up, and formed an alliance- the numbers game soon overcame every hero they encountered (including the Legion of Light), and they were set to take over Mega City (not that anyone had any particular IDEA on how one "takes over" an entire city), until the heroine Emerald Witch managed a "Chain Lightning" spell that struck the entire horde of Deinonychus at once, defeating Ray.

-The Legion recovered from their injuries, and took out the remaining conscious Dino Crew while the police arrested some of the others- Ray was arrested (but could not be de-powered). He appeared with a Crew a couple of other times, but his innate human-form, and his relative weakness (he was no stronger than a fairly tough human; certainly nowhere near the league of the others), made him not fit in very well, and he was typically only seen as a "solo" villain after that. He also got a bit of a reputation as being a smug little punk, a "trenchcoater" who was "too good" to wear tights or a uniform, as all he wore were jeans and a bomber jacket most of the time (and aside from that period where the entire Legion of Light wore bomber jackets for a couple months, that wasn't really appropriate super-attire).

-As "Raptor Pack", Ray is a difficult adversary to overcome, as he can transform into an entire horde of dangerous creatures all at once. Though a single Deinonychus is a minor adversary for a professional superhero, thirty-two of them is QUITE a different matter, and they can quickly overwhelm even highly-durable opponents. Ray is also enhanced into a similarly-powerful creature, and is technically the entire horde at once, so knocking out the "main one" is immaterial. Thirty-two PL 7s can be much more dangerous than even five PL 10s, even with the "Minions" rule in effect.

Jab's Notes: This is an idea I came up with long, LONG ago- a guy whose power was that he could transform into an ENTIRE PACK OF RAPTORS. I mean, how bitching would that be? It's a combination Summon/Duplication thing. It's perfect for a villain (a combination of unfair & bad-ass, plus you wouldn't have to draw it issue after issue), and you don't really need a "costume" when you turn into animals. The personality came last- I just always imagined him being a "punk kid" looking character, complete with sunglasses and a '90s-style Parted Haircut, so his attitude & origin came from there. I love the "was a bystander in a super-battle, and just took the Macguffin" origin concept, and copied it from another O.C. hero I made up. Some quick workarounds and names thrown down, and I was set. I even stuck the whole "Trenchcoater" stereotype onto him, explaining that part of my universe. Always Show, don't Tell.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And that's it for the Dino Crew! I actually had them all laid out beforehand, EXCEPT for Kentrosaurus, Raptor Pack & Compsognathus, so those builds are like a year younger than the others.

I keep going back and forth on which characters to post, but I guess it doesn't really matter, as I often come up with new ideas anyways. I just like to keep "on theme", so I'm not just posting at random. So the whole Crew go down at once, but I'll probably pop in with some of the major heroes after a point. I have the "Agents of Aquarius" (Serpent Society but with aquatic themes instead of snakes), Legion of Light (the main hero squad), SuperStar (my Spider-Man-like solo hero), some individual baddies for my Legion heroes, a Golden Age JSA-like hero team, and more. I'll try to have pics ready, but I'll still only be posting about one build a day.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Yeah, the Dino Crew seem like fun jobbers to use, and I'm interested in the Agents of Aquarius as well. The idea of Serpent Society but with aquatic animals is pretty clever.
Jabroniville

Gryphon

Post by Jabroniville »

He largely exists as a lot of sketches, though I think I've settled on those bulkier-looking dudes who resemble the SAMAS suits of "Rifts".

GRYPHON (Brady "Buck" Ross)
Role:
Good Ol' Boy, The Un-PC One, Powersuit Guy
PL 11 (197)
STRENGTH
3/11 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 10/9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11, +10 Armoured)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Military) 8 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5, +7 Armoured)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Guns) 4 (+14)
Stealth 2 (+4, -2 Armoured)
Technology 4 (+4)
Treatment 2 (+2)
Vehicles 3 (+7)
Vehicles 8 (+15) -- Flaws: Limited to Piloting

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit (Military Rank), Daze (Deception), Diehard, Equipment (Military Gear), Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Guns), Improved Initiative, Interpose, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Skill Mastery (Piloting), Ultimate Piloting Skill

Powers:
"GRYPHON Power Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [80]
Enhancements:
Enhanced Strength 7 (14)
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 9) (17)
"Wing-Assisted Flight" Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (Flaws: Last 2 Ranks are Winged -2) (16)
Movement 2 (Space Travel 1, Sure-Footed 1) (4)
"Lamplight" Environment 1 (Light) (1)
Immunity 5 (Heat, Cold, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (5)

Enhanced Perceptions:
Enhanced Skills 2: Perception 2 (+7) (1)
Senses 8 (Extended & Low-Light Vision, Infravision, Extended Hearing, Communication Link- To Base, Detect Energy- Ranged & Acute) (8)
"RADAR" Senses 4 (Radio Sense- Accurate, Radius) (4)

Arsenal:
"Rocket Launcher" Blast 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Unreliable- 6 Uses) (28) -- (35)
  • AE: "Wrist-Blaster" Blast 8 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Multiattack) (25)
  • AE: "Blaster Array" Blast 11 (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Distracting) (Inaccurate -1) (21)
  • AE: "Rail Gun" Blast 12 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (Inaccurate -1) (31)
  • AE: "Grappling Hook" Movement 2 (Swinging, Wall-Crawling) & Enhanced Advantages 1: Improved Hold (5)
  • AE: "Grappling Claw" Damage 4 (Feats: Reach 4) (8)
  • AE: "Vibro-Blade" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 5) (7)
  • AE: "Taser" Affliction 8 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reach 4) (12)
Armor Flaws:
Reduced Skills 6: Stealth 6 (-3)
Reduced Fighting 1 (-2)
-- (100 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Unarmed Suit +10 (+11 Damage, DC 25)
Grappling Claw +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Vibro-Blade +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Wrist-Blaster +14 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Blaster Array +11 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Rail Gun +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Taser +8 (+8 Afflicton, DC 18)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (+9 Armored, DC 20-19), Toughness +4 (+12 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (The American Military)
Relationship (Mindy Anderson)- Buck is cocky, down-to-Earth, smart-assed and rebellious, and loved to take risks in his sweet gear. Mindy is an anal-retentive, by-the-book, angry, sometimes-arrogant woman who was extremely protective over her expensive "baby". They were in constant radio contact during missions. This rarely ended well.
Weakness (Electrical Surges, Extreme Cold)
Enemy (The Dragon, Black Gryphon)
Rivalry (Hippogriff, Pegasus & Unicorn)
Relationship (Osprey)- Gryphon spent a significant period of time admiring his teammate Osprey, seeing her as the perfect woman- tough as nails, fighty, unpretentious and confident. He was literally the only person on the team who didn't realize that she was a lesbian.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 80 / Defenses: 16 (197)

-With the sudden rise of superhumans in the modern era, the American Government realized that it soon needed some added firepower on their side- fighter jets and naval barrages are great, but they won't stop a man-sized target who can easily idle up to an arm's length from expensive machines and smash them. And so the GRYPHON PROGRAM was launched- gathering the four major military branches together (no mean feat) on a project for the modern American Super-Soldier. Buck Ross, an infantryman (who could not become a fighter pilot, as his body type was too large), won the top marks out of all the numerous men who applied for the strenuous test, and was chosen. He was put into a partnership with Mindy Anderson, the Head Scientist of the project and builder of the armor, and the two collaborated on becoming a superhero (complete with crime-fighting ways) with loyalty to Uncle Sam.

-As Gryphon, Buck was allowed a degree of autonomy, but was also made a spokesperson for the government- he would be publically-sent against foreign agents, international targets, and more. He was allowed to join The Legion of Light, but was expected to relay information back to his superiors (a shadowy cabinet of agents from various services) and push the team towards causes sympathetic to America. As a natural rebel with a penchant for troublemaking (and an experienced military hand's cynical knowledge of the dirty-dealing of the upper echelons), Buck was constantly forced to balance his personal desires and morals with his often-secretive orders. He was often forced to refuse (or deliberately botch) missions he found morally-reprehensible- generally speaking, he was not asked to do illegal or immoral things, but he would often come to realize the full story of his targets and become a bit sympathetic, or simply refuse to target people he knew to be superheroes. He was also sometimes charged with arresting his fellow teammates, and was often ordered to fall back from dangerous missions in order to protect American interests (his expensive armor) or avoid embarrassment and blame hitting his bosses- he would refuse, and was often taken to task for it. Though he never expressed disloyalty to America, or deliberately put other Americans at risk, he was the cause of numerous headaches in Washington.

-On several occasions, Buck was replaced as Gryphon with others- at other points, other available suits were given to rivals. Enemies could infiltrate government offices and work against him behind the scenes, and some officials were straight-up corrupt. Though an agent of the government, he knew well enough that oftentimes his missions were just about avoiding blame or providing the proper scapegoats. It didn't help that his collaborator, Mindy, was often antagonistic towards him (he was a "good old boy" and often had trouble taking orders from "uppity women", while Mindy was tempermental and demanding, as well as snobbish towards his more blue collar origins & lack of scholastic career).

-Buck gets along well with most of his teammates in the Legion of Light, though his blunt, politcally-incorrect manner of speaking (he insists that being PC is garage and has a penchant for saying things that offend people) can rub others the wrong way. The aristocratic Silverwolf and him often don't get along, and his long-running attraction to the rough & tumble Osprey went nowhere (as he was literally the only person who ever met her who didn't realize that she was a homosexual). He and the calmer, more serene Night Dragon actually get along very well, despite their vastly-different origins. He respects the command decisions of Athena and Mega-Woman, eventually getting used to taking orders from "broads", so long as they were strong and tough as hell.

Jab's Notes: Gryphon is based off of my old Avengers-ish character "Robotech", who was entirely based visually off of the Veritechs seen in the Palladium Games advertisements that populated comics of my youth. I had NO IDEA what this "Robotech" was, but I liked how those robot-y things looked, and so I made Robotech my "Powersuit Guy", complete with boxy suit and ear-antennae. I imagined him as looking and sounding like Gunnur from "Dino Riders" (Peter Cullen doing his "Ironhide" voice), and kept the character all the way to the present day, modifying him with the more mythical creature in order to change the name and bring some "mythology" into things (and give him a Rogues Gallery of stuff like Dragons, Hippogriffs, etc.).

I also came up with the "Bridge Bunny" thing inspired from the REAL "Robotech", making the Mission Control girl a much smarter person, but also argumentative and nasty- their bickering would be half the fun. I also turned Gryphon into a "Good Ol' Boy" stereotype, but also creating a POSITIVE example of the gung-ho, conservative-minded, gun-totin' character type- this is usually so derided in the media, so it was fun to see where I could take what I found to be a more authentic version of how people in service really are. Plus, throwing an argumenative, blunt, SUPER-un-PC character into a super-team is usually the easiest way to have some fun.

-I also took some inspiration from Larry Hama's "G.I. Joe" run, including various things about politics in the military, dealing with low-end materials, and the annoyances of the job. As the official "Government Superhero", Gryphon would have to deal with a metric TON more annoying politics than anyone else.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spam

Post by Spam »

American Super Soldier. Was that a deliberate acronym?