Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Wall

Post by Jabroniville »

AMANDA WALLER
Created By:
John Ostrander, Len Wein & John Byrne
First Appearance: Legends #1 (Nov. 1986)
Role: "Big Brother" Government Figure, The Manipulator
PL 3 (94), PL 6 (94) Defenses
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 8 (+11)
Expertise (Computers) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Current Events) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Streetwise) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Super-Heroes) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Government) 10 (+14)
Insight 7 (+12)
Intimidation 9 (+12)
Investigation 5 (+10)
Perception 2 (+7)
Persuasion 8 (+11)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
Benefit 4 (Director of Task Force X), Connected, Contacts, Ranged Attack 7, Well-Informed

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (American Security)- All Waller does, she does for the security of the United States. And she will do ANYTHING for her country.
Secret (Numerous Conspiracies)- There's also a lot of bodies buried, and she knows the hows and the whys.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 76--38 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (94)

-Amanda Waller is the central character of Suicide Squad- make no bones about it. This short, overweight, scrappy woman is nonetheless a very powerful person in the United States government, and is in charge of the "Task Force X" program. It's also a way to get her out of the hair of certain people in power- the rabble-rousing Democrat Waller is a thorn in the side of a man who is clearly President Reagan ("remember social programs, Mister President?" "Now, now, Amanda- be nice"), and he & his aides are only TOO happy to have her out of the way running military missions.
-Waller's backstory is given early- she grew up poor, but fought to get her kids through college. When her daughter was raped and murdered by a local criminal, her husband was killed murdering the man responsible- so she put HERSELF through college, moved into politics, and helped out a few socially-progressive individuals. Waller is hard-assed and hard-nosed in the series- completely unafraid to scream at a dangerous supervillain or two, and she takes no crap from ANYBODY. Those she respects can tell her off, though, such as the psychiatrist she put in charge of her agents' mental well-being- she's acknowledges his expertise when he derides what she's doing to some of these basket-cases.

-Waller was smart and capable (at one point, she was deposed as team leader- her response was to place an actor under her direct command in charge of the Squad instead), but not infallible- her inability to compromise lead to the deaths of several under her command, and more than once threatened to ruin her career entirely. In the end, she is imprisoned for her methods in bringing down a criminal organization using Squad members as assassins. She is later released and put in charge again, helping out in various political operations across the world. She spends a bit of time on the shelf here and there (her "Daddy" is Jon Ostrander, who left DC periodically), but she was eventually put into a position of power again when President Lex Luthor needed a director of Metahuman Affairs. Imprisoned again, she ends up as one of the Checkmate organization. She gets a great run in JLU as her typical self- a high-level, secretive government operative who thinks she's doing what's right- in this case, she's a huge antagonist, leading the Cadmus organization against the Justice League, out of fear for their increasing power and dominance in world affairs. This was a great case of "The Villain Thinks They're Right", because you could 100% see how Waller would believe she was justified in wanting to take down the League- and when she finds out she's wrong, she releases the team and fights on their side. This led to a bit more of Waller in various books, usually doing the same kind of "Antagonistic Government Figure doing Black Ops stuff" concept, ultimately leading to a big role in the New 52, with a controversial redesign into a sexy chick. DC has since wised up and put her back into her original form for the "Rebirth" era stuff.

-I love the very concept of Waller- at her core, she's a short, overweight black woman who wields near-unimaginable power. The very idea is that she's what SHOULD be the least-powerful person in the world, and is somehow NOT. It's fairly stupid how DC's rebooted her into the standard Generic Comic Book Body-Type, as not only is she just one of HUNDREDS of identical-looking women out there, but it ruins the entire contrast of her power with her appearance. It's like making a skinny Kingpin.

-Not a powerhouse, this spark-plug of a woman is all about the Skills. She's not particularly likeable or nice, but has a ton of interpersonal skills, is able to scare just about anybody, and can manipulate with the best of them. She's a master of information gathering, discovering Task Force X's existence and putting herself in place as its leader, then ensures that she knows where the bodies are buried, and makes herself indispensable to anyone in political power. This gives her a permanent "Get Out Of Jail Free" card, allowing her to get up to all kinds of nonsense. All of that makes her precise Skills hard to determine ("Manipulate & Hide Records" isn't easily found), but Government, Current Events, Connected, Contacts, & Benefit pretty much cover all the bases as far as I'm concerned. She's highly dangerous, but in that way that's entirely roleplaying.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Re: Shade

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:26 am Image

SHADE, THE CHANGING MAN (Rac Shade)
Created By:
Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Shade, The Changing Man #1 (June 1977)
Role: Failed Hero
Group Affiliations: The Suicide Squad
PL 9 (104)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 8 (+12)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Interpose, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"M-Vest" (Flaws: Removable) [22]
Force Field 8 (Extras: Impervious 7) (15)
Flight 4 (30 mph) (8)
"Alters Appearance" Morph 1 (Alternate Form) (Flaws: Uncontrolled- Different Viewers See Different Things) (4)
-- (27 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+11 M-Vest), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Reputation (Criminal)- Shade was framed for a crime in his home dimension, and fights to clear his name.
Relationship (Mellu- Fiancee)- Shade's fiancee hunts him down for his crimes.
Reputation (Dingus)- Shade tends to spend a lot of time complaining about Earth's simplistic technology compared to Meta (his homeworld), and it's given him the reputation as being a grouchy, condescending whiner.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 11 (104)

-This is a character about whom I know absolutely nothing- I only vaguely know the name. He's apparently one of Ditko's numerous characters invented for his DC run, and like most of them, a failure who disappeared, lasting only eight issues before the "DC Implosion" of 1978 (where low sales and profits dictated a nuking of the line) killed it. He's a fugitive from another dimension (named "Meta"), who uses a stolen "Miraco-Vest" to fight. He is ultimately captured, but escapes through a portal as the book ends. Suicide Squad is the next time we see the character, in an ugly red suit with yellow circles all over it- he agrees to help the team so long as they can help him return to Meta.

-Shade tires of spending time on Earth, and so is convinced by Lashina to betray the Squad and take a detour through Apokolips to Meta- he doesn't wish to, but feels he has no choice. He is wracked with guilt as he's finally sent home, having doomed some members of the Squad organization to die. A remake of his book came out for Vertigo only six months later, with Pete Milligan (part of DC's "British Invasion" of weird British writers working on their new "adult" line) & Chris Bachalo, featuring a version of the character who used a "Madness-Vest". He was killed repeatedly in the series, coming back in different forms each time. It's probably the least-successful and least-beloved out of those early Vertigo books, as Neil Gaiman & Grant Morrison were working on its contemporaries.

-Honestly, I felt this character was HORRIBLE, I didn't understand why he was there, he looked stupid, and everything about him was boring- he failed to draw my interest at all, and was one of numerous heroic characters I felt dragged the book down too much.

-Shade has a powerful Force Field, but isn't that elite a combatant all by himself- he doesn't even have any offensive super-powers!
He looks like Starfox in his summer costume. :P
L-Space

Re: Jab's Builds! (X-Men 2099! Titannus! Ganymede! Suicide Squad!)

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 am Hm, Calgary Comic Expo has a pretty solid guest list this time around: https://calgaryexpo.com/guests/media-guests/

I assume the old Doctor will have the biggest line, because UGH I'm the only nerd anywhere who hates that show. Jeremy Renner's a hell of a "get", though, and John Cusack is probably the biggest overall STAR who's going to be there- responsible for one of the most iconic scenes in movie history.
Wow, that is a pretty impressive lineup, I'm a bit jealous. I know of other's who dislike Doctor Who, surprisingly most Doctor Who fans don't seem to get defensive too over it either, unlike some fandoms.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:38 pm-I love the very concept of Waller- at her core, she's a short, overweight black woman who wields near-unimaginable power. The very idea is that she's what SHOULD be the least-powerful person in the world, and is somehow NOT. It's fairly stupid how DC's rebooted her into the standard Generic Comic Book Body-Type, as not only is she just one of HUNDREDS of identical-looking women out there, but it ruins the entire contrast of her power with her appearance. It's like making a skinny Kingpin.
Yea, changing her look was stupid and I'm pretty sure whoever was in charge of that decision didn't understand that her look was actually kind of important to her character.

Also I'd pay good money to see a meeting between Waller and Kingpin. It would be amazing!
Formerly luketheduke86
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 am Hm, Calgary Comic Expo has a pretty solid guest list this time around: https://calgaryexpo.com/guests/media-guests/

I assume the old Doctor will have the biggest line, because UGH I'm the only nerd anywhere who hates that show. Jeremy Renner's a hell of a "get", though, and John Cusack is probably the biggest overall STAR who's going to be there- responsible for one of the most iconic scenes in movie history.

I'll nerd out hardest for Patrick Warburton (I've been watching him since Dave's World, but he's the friggin' TICK!), Rider Strong & Will Friedle, though- Boy Meets World fans represent! And holy shit, there's Todd MacFarlane. Wasn't expecting THAT one.

And of course Stan Lee's promised "retirement" lasted about as long as he realized he can still command huge lines and major money for autographs. I wonder what a signed Ravage 2099 #1 is worth now?

I've only heard of like 3 or 4 of the "Artist & Creator" people this time around: https://calgaryexpo.com/guests/artists-and-creators/

Dan Parent and the Least I Could Do (ugh, how is THAT still popular?) guys are there, as always. Jim Shooter will be cool. His blog is always a very interesting read.
You're not the only one who hates Doctor Who, I'm English and I've hated it since I was a kid in the eighties. I was kind of excited when I heard it was coming back because I like sci-fi stuff in general but it was still terrible, I just can't abide the low budget CG and shitty practical effects. I'll admit I liked how Matt Smith as played the character but I still couldn't ignore every thing else.
Although I fully agree with you on Doctor Who, I am a fan of a few shows that you've said didn't interest you, I loved Phineas and Ferb and was almost as obsessed with Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis as I am with Marvel comics.

Not knowing much about DC can I ask why Shade was called 'The Changing Man'
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Mindboggler

Post by Jabroniville »

MINDBOGGLER
Created By:
Joe Cavalieri & Rafael Kayanan
First Appearance: The Fury of Firestorm #29 (Nov. 1984)
Role: Sacrificial Teammate
Group Affiliations: The Suicide Squad
PL 8 (82)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 1 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
Illusion (Visuals & Hearing) 8 (24) -- [25]
  • AE: "Vertigo Effect" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Vertigo +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Enemy (Firestorm)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 10 (82)

-Mindboggler was chosen as the Sacrificial Teammate during the Squad's first mission in their own book- kind of a "Proof of Concept", if you will. If you're gonna be called SUICIDE Squad, then the missions should be rather dangerous. And so this recurring Jobber Villain from Firestorm's book was killed in the first mission. It was important to the story, too- during the debriefing, she humiliated teammate Captain Boomerang with her Illusion power, embarrassing him in front of the others. And so ol' Boomer let her get killed on the mission- he saw a member of the Jihad aim his firearm at her, but gave no warning. She was then incorporated into the digital computer matrix for the "Djinn".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:27 pm

I'll nerd out hardest for Patrick Warburton (I've been watching him since Dave's World, but he's the friggin' TICK!), Rider Strong & Will Friedle, though- Boy Meets World fans represent! And holy shit, there's Todd MacFarlane. Wasn't expecting THAT one.

And of course Stan Lee's promised "retirement" lasted about as long as he realized he can still command huge lines and major money for autographs. I wonder what a signed Ravage 2099 #1 is worth now?

I've only heard of like 3 or 4 of the "Artist & Creator" people this time around: https://calgaryexpo.com/guests/artists-and-creators/

Dan Parent and the Least I Could Do (ugh, how is THAT still popular?) guys are there, as always. Jim Shooter will be cool. His blog is always a very interesting read.
You're not the only one who hates Doctor Who, I'm English and I've hated it since I was a kid in the eighties. I was kind of excited when I heard it was coming back because I like sci-fi stuff in general but it was still terrible, I just can't abide the low budget CG and shitty practical effects. I'll admit I liked how Matt Smith as played the character but I still couldn't ignore every thing else.
Although I fully agree with you on Doctor Who, I am a fan of a few shows that you've said didn't interest you, I loved Phineas and Ferb and was almost as obsessed with Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis as I am with Marvel comics.

Yessssssss another one!!

P&F is okay. The whole "every episode is the same" thing kind of kills me on it. But Caroline Rhea as a MILF I can appreciate.

Shade is a "changing man" because of his Morph power.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Suicide Squad! Enchantress! Chemo! Shade! Waller!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Didn't Captain Boomerang also get Slipknot badly hurt? There's a lesson to be learned there: If you're a jobber on the Suicide Squad, don't get near Captain Boomerang.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:33 pm
M4C8 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:27 pm

Yessssssss another one!!

P&F is okay. The whole "every episode is the same" thing kind of kills me on it. But Caroline Rhea as a MILF I can appreciate.

Shade is a "changing man" because of his Morph power.
Oh yeah sorry I missed that, I thought it was part of his tech :oops:
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Plastique

Post by Jabroniville »

Artists seem to have trouble coming up with finalized costumes for DC villains.

PLASTIQUE (Betty Sans Souci)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Pat Broderick
First Appearance: The Fury of Firestorm #7 (Dec. 1982)
Role: Explosives Expert, Flirt
PL 9 (121)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Explosives) 10 (+13)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 3 (+6)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Evasion, Improved Defense, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Explosives"
Blast 9 (Feats: Triggered- Time) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) [27]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Explosives +9 Area (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Captain Atom)- The two were once married, but she often goes back to villainy.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 16 (121)

-Plastique is a Firestorm villain that later ended up marrying Captain Atom of all people after starting off as a terrorist working to separate Quebec from the rest of Canada, but she showed up in Justice League Unlimited in the Task Force X episode, flirting with eternal sociopath Deadshot the entire time (using some DECIDEDLY un-G-rated dialogue), and threatening to stuff a plastic explosive down an unconscious Atom Smasher's throat to get their team out of the Watchtower. Unfortunately for her, just as the team was about to get caught, Deadshot SHOT HER EXPLOSIVE while she was still holding it, leaving her a smoking wreck while the rest of the squad escaped. Note to super-villains: Don't trust Deadshot.

-She was a member of the Suicide Squad for one mission, and attempted to betray the team during a mission in Qurac- she was uncovered and stopped by Nemesis, and Waller had her brainwashed to suppress all memories of the team. Her marriage to Captain Atom came after a story where she got disillusioned from terrorism, then reformed and earned a pardon. However, a lack of comics featuring the couple (Extreme Justice, their book, was cancelled, and Capt. Atom became one of those guys who just couldn't make regular appearances work) meant that the marriage happened off-panel, and then she just suddenly showed up single and a villain again.

-Plastique is more of a "Street Level" character who used to use Equipment as her central gimmick, but in the '90s, she developed a self-generating explosive power, making her 27 points more expensive.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Enchantress! Chemo! Shade! Waller! Plastique!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Speaking of shows I don't like... what's the deal with Steven Universe? I feel like the characters are EVERYWHERE, and it's become the new Adventure Time for showing up with memes and stuff... but I've watched a dozen episodes, and they've all been drek. None of the jokes are funny, the character designs are hideous (it looks like they wanted to be "inclusive" by showing a ton of deliberately-ugly female characters instead of the standard hot/cute ones other shows use) the voice work is awful (Garnet just speaks in a fake accent and dreary monotone), and the plot makes ZERO SENSE because nothing is ever explained. Like... why are these three characters doing stuff, and why are they hanging out with this kid? At least Adventure Time is generally just absurd for the sake of absurdity, and is more often straightforward (if weird). Not that I haven't been utterly confused at some of THEIR episodes, too...
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

The three superheroes hang with Stephen because he's the son of their teammate, and was born with his mother's magic gem powers.

I also think Amythest is cute as hell.

The weird mountain statue is another of their dead "sisters" who went all dark Phoenix.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Skaramine wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:04 am The three superheroes hang with Stephen because he's the son of their teammate, and was born with his mother's magic gem powers.

I also think Amythest is cute as hell.

The weird mountain statue is another of their dead "sisters" who went all dark Phoenix.
I just don't understand what's going on with her lips. The body and face would be fine, but she's got this combination of "puckering" and "deformed' going on up there.
Jabroniville

Blockbuster (Mark)

Post by Jabroniville »

I can't believe "Freep" didn't catch on.

BLOCKBUSTER I (Mark Desmond)
Created By:
Gardner Fox & Carmine Infantino
First Appearance: Detective Comics #345 (Nov. 1965)
Role: One-Note Villain, Powerhouse
Group Affiliations: The Suicide Squad, The Secret Society of Super-Villains
PL 9 (81)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+2)
Intimidation 8 (+6)
Perception 2 (+0)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (Batman)
Relationship (Roland- Brother)- Roland manipulates Mark into committing crimes.
Enemy (Netflix)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 13 (81)

-Blockbuster's gotta have one of the most generic comic book looks in history- he's just a big guy in torn clothes. No funky skin color, no costume, no anything- he's just big! He was a chemist who experimented on himself to become stronger, but he grew Hulk-like and aggressive, losing his intelligence in teh process. He was manipulated by his brother Roland (a criminal), committing crimes until Batman & Robin discovered them. He fought Batman a few times, but was killed in the very first mission of Amanda Waller's Suicide Squad. Curiously, he did not reappear until the Nu52 revived him as an idea.

-Blockbuster is a pretty basic PL 9 Powerhouse- much stronger than Batman's ordinary bad guys, but nothing so above & beyond.

-There have been three other characters named Blockbuster, one of whom (Roland, who'd been mutated by Neron) became a Kingpin-like crime-boss in Nightwing's book. The DC Adventures build will do for him, I would think- it was clearly written by a big fan who had an idea of how to use the "Added Effects" stuff for Improved Critical Hits. The other three are all short-lived characters (III was on Lex Luthor's Infinity Inc., IV was Martian Manhunter in disguise, and V was an unknown female).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Enemy (Netflix?). :lol:
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Skaramine wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:59 pm Enemy (Netflix?). :lol:
Well played sir, well played.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!