Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (Waller! Plastique! Furies! Rick Flag! Nemesis!)

Post by catsi563 »

So... he rejects an opportunity... to engage in a no-strings-attached sexual relationship... with WONDER WOMAN. What level of Awareness do I give this guy again?
About what you gave him 3 seems solid.

His will on the other hand seems a bit low because if Diana offered me the same thing Id be engaged in foreplay faster then you could say lasso of truth. :P
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

You know what strikes me as a huge difference between DC & Marvel, looking at characters like the Female Furies?

These are five villainesses who have been a part of the DCU for over forty years by this point, yet you could put their entire biography in a single small paragraph. These characters are ridiculously one-dimensional and tend to only get used to job to heroes en masse.

If they were Marvel characters, their bios would be HUGE- they'd have constant appearances in the backgrounds of other books, be recurring baddies for a successful hero or two, and get a lot of background shots. Marvel has guys of comparable age but even WORSE credibility, like Mutant Force, with bios that dwarf that of any Fury. I think frickin' Mister Peepers would require more time to describe than even Lashina.

And this continues on the odd thing I've noticed where DC characters have weak bios and Marvel guys have huge ones. I've seen nothing for DC guys that's even close to comparable to the Unofficial Appendix to the Marvel Handbook (marvunapp) site. Characters that've appeared in multiple issues are almost impossible to research, with powers being listed in a single blurb and nothing else, and multiple sources have to be checked even for Jobbers with numerous appearances.

I dunno what it is that makes Marvel so prone to insane, OCD overly-obsessive statting. Mark Gruenwald's involvement? The Marvel Handbooks were a million times better for power descriptions than DC's Who's Who series. But you'd think insane statting would be something common to both Marvel AND DC fans.
Jabroniville

Nightshade

Post by Jabroniville »

NIGHTSHADE (Even Eden)
Created By:
Joe Gill & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Captain Atom #82 (Sept. 1966)
Role: Darkness-Wielder
Group Affiliations: The Shadowpact, Suicide Squad, The Jihad, L.A.W., InterC.E.P.T.
PL 8 (146)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 2 (+6)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Government Agent) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Shadows) 4 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
Teleport 10 (Feats: Increased Mass 8) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (48) -- [52]
  • AE: "Solid Shadows" Create 8 (16)
  • AE: "Shadow Homunculi" Summon 4 (Extras: 2 Minions +2, Active, Horde) (24)
  • AE: Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel- The Land of Nightshades) (2)
  • AE: "Shadow Grab" Snare 6 (18)
Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Snare +10 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (The United States)
Responsibility (The Land of Nightshades)- Beings from Nightshade's birth-realm occasionally come to hunt her.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 15 (146)

-Nightshade debuted in Charlton Comics's line after Steve Ditko joined in, meaning that she's by far most-famous for being the inspiration for a Watchmen character- The Silk Spectre. A blonde woman with a black wig, she was Captain Atom's partner and lover for a time. When Charlton goes under, she shows up in the DC Universe during the Crisis on Infinite Earths, which sees her as a background nobody. She eventually joins the Suicide Squad as one of numerous heroic operatives. Her and Nemesis infiltrate Jihad, and relay information to Amanda Waller, who sets up the mission that exterminates most of the villains. She is furious at Waller for putting her in a position to help a massacre of dozens of innocents, as Jihad "shows off" to a client by killing numerous civilians.

-The series gives her an origin story- her mother is from the "Land of Nightshades", and she inherits some powers. Her brother is killed during a mission to the Land, but the Succubus who did so is destroyed trying to possess Nightshade- whose will was stronger than her brother's. After Suicide Squad ended, Nightshade moved on to being one of those "Journeyman Heroes", popping up in random backgrounds or side books (Superboy and the Ravers featured her briefly; she was also in Shadowpact as a recurring cast member).

-Another pricey individual, Nightshade is a good Team Teleporter, but has limited offensive capabilities.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:23 am You know what strikes me as a huge difference between DC & Marvel, looking at characters like the Female Furies?

These are five villainesses who have been a part of the DCU for over forty years by this point, yet you could put their entire biography in a single small paragraph. These characters are ridiculously one-dimensional and tend to only get used to job to heroes en masse.

If they were Marvel characters, their bios would be HUGE- they'd have constant appearances in the backgrounds of other books, be recurring baddies for a successful hero or two, and get a lot of background shots. Marvel has guys of comparable age but even WORSE credibility, like Mutant Force, with bios that dwarf that of any Fury. I think frickin' Mister Peepers would require more time to describe than even Lashina.

And this continues on the odd thing I've noticed where DC characters have weak bios and Marvel guys have huge ones. I've seen nothing for DC guys that's even close to comparable to the Unofficial Appendix to the Marvel Handbook (marvunapp) site. Characters that've appeared in multiple issues are almost impossible to research, with powers being listed in a single blurb and nothing else, and multiple sources have to be checked even for Jobbers with numerous appearances.

I dunno what it is that makes Marvel so prone to insane, OCD overly-obsessive statting. Mark Gruenwald's involvement? The Marvel Handbooks were a million times better for power descriptions than DC's Who's Who series. But you'd think insane statting would be something common to both Marvel AND DC fans.
I like all the stating!

I wish DC was much more descriptive like Marvel.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Yeah, it's pretty crazy that for a lot of DC characters, the only good source of information is their DCA write-up. Really makes me wish they'd make another book so we could get more DC Jobber write-ups. One team that remains un-statted in all my searching is the New Guardians. Two of the team members (Harbinger and Floronic Man) have DCA write-ups, but the others..well, one of them's a guy who's bio literally only says "Magic", so he's a no-go (I just gave him a generic Magic Guy Build), and the others don't have much information on them either.
Jabroniville

Captain Boomerang

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

CAPTAIN BOOMERANG (George "Digger" Harkness)
Created By:
John Broome & Carmine Infantino
First Appearance: Flash #117 (Dec. 1960)
Role: Comic Relief, Gimmick Villain
PL 9 (111)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Deception 7 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+7)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Boomerangs) 3 (+13)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 5 (Fancy Boomerangs), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Boomerangs) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Inventor, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Ultimate Aim

Equipment:
"Exploding Boomerangs" Blast 8 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet 3) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Diminished Range -1) (23) -- (25)
  • AE: "Bladed Boomerangs" Blast 5 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet 3, Penetrating 3, Variable 2- Electrified/Sharp/Blunt) (Extras: Multiattack) (Diminished Range -1) (23)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Boomerangs +13 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Exploding Boomerangs +8 Area (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 14 (111)

-Digger's a funny lil' character in comic book history. Just another Goofy Flash Villain (where his mastery of boomerangs somehow includes keeping a TIME MACHINE BOOMERANG in his arsenal), he ended up getting a huge chunk of his characterization in Suicide Squad. He was depicted as kind of a lazy ne'er-do-well who often screwed up- his antics include helping a teammate get killed because she embarrassed him (he didn't give Mindboggler a warning that a baddie was aiming a gun at her), dressing up as Mirror Master and committing crimes on the side, and trying to run away from a dozen different battles. He got so bad that the team actually pulled off a huge Con on him, forcing his "Mirror Master" guise to help them fight a "Zombie Horde" while Boomerang was ALSO supposed to be on the mission, to the point where he has to Fred Flintstone his ass all over the place trying to make it work, only for the team to reveal themselves when he's basically pissing his pants with fear. Great stuff.

-Digger Harkness is the son of an American soldier and an Australian woman, growing up in an abusive household and turning to crime when audiences heckled his boomerang-themed performances. He would become one of the many "Flash Rogues", using outlandish Boomerangs that went from the usual gimmicked weapons (explosives, razors) to the insane (time machines; boomerangs that could go into space). Though a competent bad guy in The Flash, he was depicted as an incompetent, racist (referring to Bronze Tiger as an "abbo"- slang for aborigine... which he was not), generally-weird guy who couldn't be trusted to do anything. And his slang was totally nuts- calling women "bikes", and saying things that were either true Aussie terminology, or just Jon Ostrander having a laugh.

-Honestly... I don't see why they kept him around, unless they were hoping he'd get killed on a mission and thus couldn't tell on the rest of the team (which is something he would totally do). Waller eventually had him dumped on a deserted island for his many misdeeds, only picking him up a year later when she re-formed the defunct Squad (Boomer was, naturally, in the process of building a giant boomerang to fly himself back to the mainland).

-While on another version of the Squad in Superboy's book, he was shot through the hands by Deadshot, and reappeared later with cybernetic ones. After a few more adventures with the Rogues (including getting Neron interested in the group), he grew fat and lazy, and was killed in Infinite Crisis after Jean Loring (the real killer) had him go after Tim Drake's father, in order to win his reputation back- Digger killed Drake with a boomerang, but was fatally shot in return. Digger's rep had fallen so far by this point that Loring assumed that he would naturally fail.

-Digger's son Owen becomes the new Captain Boomerang, and briefly makes a go of it as a villain before DC just weirded out and killed him off during Blackest Night, as a Black Lantern Digger returns from the dead, tricks Owen into killing people (Captain Cold is disgusted; "the Rogues don't kill women or children"; and shoves Owen into the pit with Digger), and tears out his heart. By the end of the story, Digger is curiously chosen as one of many dead super-people resurrected by the "white light". At this point, he has Energy Boomerangs that he generates from his own body. He eventually lost this near the end of the pre-"Nu52" continuity, being jailed by Tim "Red Robin" Drake for the murder of his father.

-His JLU appearance was great, and he was of course the Comic Relief of his team (alongside Deadshot's Deadpan Snarkiness), nearly screwing up the mission by being stingy before going through the JLU Satellite's metal detector ("seventy-five cents is seventy-five cents. I'm supposed to throw away money?"), and generally being perturbed by everything (Flagg was too serious, Deadshot & Plastique were too eager to cause damage).

-His stats are largely unimpressive, as he never showed too many Gimmick Boomerangs. He's a PL 9 Blaster-type guy, using Equipment like Batman, instead of the Device-stuff that many other Gimmick-Users would have. He's a pest to The Flash, and a liability to the Suicide Squad- in that book, nearly every other member of the team had his measure. The only "Good Showing" I've seen of him was a Robin appearance where he allies with The Riddler, and impresses Tim by knocking down every single one of his Batarangs in one go- naturally, Captain BOOMERANG is a superior ranged fighter with them.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I think Captain Boomerang was the part of the Suicide Squad movie I was most unimpressed with.

In a perfect world, he'd be one of those characters that everybody was talking about. A "Hey did you see that guy in that movie?!!!" kind of character. A Groot if you will.

I've explained this to my wife so many times. "This is the guy who should in no way ever survive any one of the missions they're on, but he survives every last one by sheer luck" like Henchmen 21 and 24 on the Venture Brothers. Captain Boomerang done right in a movie would have been EPIC.

But we got Jai Courtney.

Jai Courtney.

The guy from a Terminator movie which went to great lengths to make alot of the actors at least look somewhat like the actors from the original films.....and the guy they choose for Kyle Reese was not a lean, malnourished, badass but a charismatic void that apparently found the one working gym in the post apoacalyptic future and hit it every day.

Much like how they should have gone with an older, leaner, sarcastic type (Jason Isaacs would have been AMAAAAAAAAZING in this role some 20 years ago) but they went a charismatic void who probably got the job based on being an Aussie.

I'll shut up now. I just had to illustrate my disappointment with the movie and my dislike of Jai Courtney
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

It's funny- my distaste for Nemesis reminds me of my distaste for SHIELD-based books. I guess I never think about it, but I just absolutely do not care for the Spy genre. Which I never noticed, because I don't mind Bond movies. I mean, I consider them popcorn-flicks and pretty stupid, but they're at least fun. But in comics? I cant imagine caring about the genre in the slightest.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Nemesis matters to me because of his older stories. His master of disguise stuff and his deep cover efforts to avenge people the right way. More deep cover detective work, a la the Human Target.

As for not wanting a "friends with benefits" relationship with Wonder Woman? Maybe he just preferred redheads.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

As for not wanting a "friends with benefits" relationship with Wonder Woman? Maybe he just preferred redheads.
Who doesn't? :lol:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

The Jihad

Post by Jabroniville »

THE JIHAD:
-Yes, it's a supervillain army of Evil Middle Eastern Terrorists. I can't imagine comics having the balls to try this now- they'd be accused of racism, religious intolerance, and more- especially since there was no "positive Muslim" character to counterbalance the evil guys. But really, f*ck it- the world has enough of these dickholes in REAL LIFE to make them worthy comic book villains. And hell... it's not like this is a DATED CONCEPT or anything, right? In any case, some of them aren't even Muslims- Ostrander gave them a more international flavor, and names based off of various parts of India, the Middle East, and more.

In any case, "Jihad" is the name given to an "elite" band of losers who engage in terrorist activities on behalf of Qurac (DC's own personal Iraq/Libya- a fountain of terrorists that avoids naming any particular nation as the "evil one"- Marvel's G.I. Joe used Trucial Abysmia for the same purpose). The first mission of the Suicide Squad comic sees the team briefed on the Jihad members's capabilities, and they're given missions to split up and attack them in one-on-one pitched battles. And the Squad defeats them. Easily. Seriously, it's practically a GAG how effortlessly guys like Deadshot & Captain Boomerang dispatch their opponents.

The Jihad goes on to become a recurring threat in the series- essentially, they're Jobbers who are good for a scrap, but generally go down easily and "put over" the main heroes. They recur quite often, with their origins being tied to the Squad (their scientific benefactor was a member of Flag's earlier Squad, and was thought-dead in a mission). Eventually the name got switched to "Onslaught", but they were no more successful. A handful of Squad members have been slain by members of this group, but for the most part, they're a total Job Squad.

The Members:
Djinn & Digital Djinn- Animated digital constructs.
Jaculi I & II- Speedsters w/ Javelins.
Manticore I-III- Big ugly monsters.
Chimera- Actually Nightshade under cover.
Ravan- Master martial artist.
Rustam I & II- Pyrokinetic leader.

Later Members:
Agni- Pyrokinetic.
Badb- Irish Telepath.
Ifrit- Like the Djinn. Powered by Mindboggler's brain patterns.
Koshchei the Deathless- Zombie Controller.
Piscator- Atlantean Janissary.
Dahak- Demon using Quraci woman as host.
Dervish- Female speedster.
Antiphon- Speedster.
Hyve- Huge guy who could transform into a batch of tiny duplicates.
Tolteca- Female cannibal.

-Antiphon, Tolteca & Hyve don't have any real info about them, so I won't be statting them (DC fans SUCK).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Jaculi

Post by Jabroniville »

JACULI I & II
Created By:
John Ostrander & Luke McDonnell
First Appearance: Suicide Squad #1 (May 1987)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Jihad
PL 7 (88)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Terrorist Piss-Biscuit) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 1 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Javelins) 2 (+10)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages: 
Improved Initiative 3, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
Speed 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Limited to Small Bursts) [3]

"Explosive Javelins" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
"Explosives" Blast 6 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Diminished Range -1) (14) -- (15 points)
  • AE: Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Ranged 4) (Diminished Range -1) (5)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Javelin Toss +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Explosive Javelins +6 Area (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +16

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Middle Eastern Terrorist)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 11 (88)

-Jaculi was taken out hilariously easily. After a strong showing against civilians, he was put up against Captain Boomerang, who simply walked up, introduced himself, and then threw a trio of his signature weapons at the guy. Jaculi easily dodged them, owing to his super-speed... but of course seems to have never known what a BOOMERANG was, at which point he got hammered by them on their return arcs. The bleeding villain was then casually kicked off the top of the Jihad's headquarters (Jormungand- a fortress build into the mountains by German WWII agents in Qurac) to his death, with Digger snarking that THE FLASH would have survived that, but this guy evidently wasn't on that level.

-A second Jaculi, a female with identical powers, also showed up. She was killed by Deadshot.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Djinn

Post by Jabroniville »

THE DJINN
Created By:
John Ostrander & Luke McDonnell
First Appearance: Suicide Squad #1 (May 1987)
PL 7 (105)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
Expertise (Terrorist Piss-Biscuit) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 2 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages: 
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Digital Construct"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 6 [6]
Insubstantial 4 [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude --, Will +3

Complications:
Weakness (Computer Console)- A console "the size of a walkman" is all that keeps the Djinn alive- damaging it will destroy his body.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 56 / Defenses: 7 (105)

-The Djinn is a digital construct- a being that comes out of a portable computer device the Jihad leaves lying around. He easily strangles normal humans, and can go Insubstantial... so The Enchantress deals with him by blowing up his computer, which kills him. Another returns in an Outsiders arc- he is not seen once Faust teleports him into another device- a portable television set.
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Furies! Flag! Nemesis! Capt. Boomerang! Jihad!)

Post by greycrusader »

Parallel to the Bronze Tiger situation, both Captain Boomerang and Deadshot were allowed to have good showings against Batman, before he was "Bat-God"ed by Grant Morrison and other, later writers. Digger was shown to be far better than the Dark Knight with Mr. Harkness' favorite weapon, easily knocking a batarang out of the air and even beating Bruce on the draw, though Batman simply dodged the second boomerang and closed with Digger to deliver a knockout blow. Batman flat out stated the ONLY reason Deadshot never hit him was because Floyd unconsciously pulled his shots against Bruce- because deep down Lawton actually admired the hero and did NOT want to kill decent people.

(The new 52 origin of Deadshot was among the WORST re-imaginings of a character's background, along with that of Guy Gardner, and Victor Friezes/Mr. Freeze).

As for Tom Tresser/Nemesis-his original run was pretty decent, when it was about a PL 6-7 hero who used a mastery of disguise, careful planning, and action-hero level fighting skills to take down a government conspiracy. But that genre of story is dead as a doornail in mainstream comics, and Tresser never really fin into the DCU books into which he was shoehorned. Wonder Woman was the most egregious of this, where he was roped into being a Steve Trevor stand-in; I credit her with at least writing a definitive ending to the relationship. She also managed to discard a lot of other random silliness, like having Megalodons swimming around Paradise Island as "protectors" of the isle, because whatever.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Digital Djinn

Post by Jabroniville »

DIGITAL DJINN
Created By:
Keith Giffen & Paco Medina
First Appearance: Suicide Squad #11 (Sept. 2002)
PL 8 (111)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
Expertise (Terrorist Piss-Biscuit) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 2 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Digital Construct"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
Insubstantial 4 [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +3

Complications:
Weakness (Computer Console)- A console "the size of a walkman" is all that keeps the Digital Djinn alive- damaging it will destroy his body.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 58 / Defenses: 7 (111)

-This Djinn shows up on a later team, and is basically an upgraded version of the first.