Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
bsdigitalq

Re: Jab's Builds! (Electro! The Shocker! Goblins! The Lizard!)

Post by bsdigitalq »

Fifth!

Man, Mysterio is such an underrated villain for me. While not a favorite of mine, I've always felt that he was improperly used and could work as a really good mastermind type villain. Maybe part of the issue is that Quentin Beck himself always struck me as a little "meh" and uninteresting. If there's one thing that could probably be improved, it's the man under the dome.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'll also add myself to the group that likes Mysterio's outfit. Granted, I also like the Shocker and Electro's outfits, but with Mysterio, it really is all about the presentation. It's pretty easy to give Mysterio whatever effect you want. You can make him look majestic, imposing, even creepy just by playing with a few things.

Like, to ramp up the creepy factor, they could make those eyes on his cape claps look REAL, like they're actually moving, blinking, living eyes, make the helmet look like it's full of mist that changes shape and form, looking barely like a man's face, then something more horrific when he wants to terrify you.

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'll also say that Mysterio could be perfect as someone who combines elements of guys like Arcade and Batman's Scarecrow. The guy is an illusionist, special effects and technical genius, etc. I think one of the big problems is that, for some reason, they never give Mysterio any offensive capabilities. Because once the illusion fails, he's generally one-shot by his foes.

Spectacular Spider-Man did something interesting where they initially had Mysterio and the Tinkerer be support staff for the Chameleon, who designed the gear that let him replicate Spidey's powers, but later struck out on his own. He had a lot of robot stand in, robot minions, holographic illusion generators he could reprogram on the fly, and he had laser blasters built into his gauntlets to help sell his "mystic" persona. If anything, I love the idea of Mysterio playing up the idea of being a magician. In a world where magic exists and magic superheroes are in the public eye, questions about whether magic is or isn't real is likely a hot topic. Mysterio taking that and trying to play himself off as a mystic seems perfectly in character, so long as they don't screw with the concept and make him an actual wizard.

I honestly think that if I was ever going to have my own "Arcade" style bad guy, he'd likely be equal parts Arcade and Mysterio, with a heavy Movie/Story/Video Game influence. Like he's someone who is Grant Morrison-levels of obsessed with stories (maybe even make him an obvious Morrison parody), so he has these death traps and illusions based around movies he likes because of meta-fiction reasons and wanting to see how stories play out in different genres, but is mostly about watching people get murdered in fun ways. And he might have a teen-hero version called Player 2 who is that but with video games.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Add me in as well. The fishbowl helmet is to me one of the most underrated costume pieces because not only is it iconic, but its also simplicity itself, and you can do so much with it. have the hero see fears in it or other illusions, have faces and monsters appear in it.

Its an amazing storytelling device if used correctly. Which when combined with the rest of the costume and the arcane mystical look to it makes Mysterio one of the truly iconic spidey villains.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Regarding the Lizard and Stegron, I'm honestly shocked Stegron hasn't gotten more use, especially with the Savage Land around. Dinosaur villains will never be not cool.

As for the Lizard . . . yeah, he's sort of like the Man-Bat in that you can only tell so many stories with him before it gets stale, though I'm against the "extreme" lengths they went with the guy. Honestly, if you want to tell more Lizard stories, just have someone else get the Lizard formula, and let Dr. Conners retire in peace or remain a science advisor to Spidey.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Wow, that last pic with all the arms is AWESOME.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

In the 90s cartoon, Mysterio wielded a big blaster, so that's something. Of course, Spidey took him down in one hit before he got to do anything with it.
scc

Post by scc »

Something about Spidey's rogues just makes me happy. Some are outright jobbers. Some have an iconic look. Some are just plain cool. I agree I love Mysterio's look. If he ever appears in a movie I hope they keep it. I feel the same about Electro. His classic look is my favorite. I always loved the Lizard but the only comics I have of him is Secret Wars where he was a jobber.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

The fishbowl is awesome – as Ares says, both simple and iconic at the same time. The displaced eyes equally so. The rest just exists to draw your attention to those two features.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Mysterio could have all manner of gadgets - indeed, he should have a "Variable" gadgets pool.

Because what would a stunt man, makeup artist, special effects expert and set designer be justified in having?

Deadly base full of death traps - set design. Like the 6" tall Spider-Man story.
Flame throwers and fire bombs - because Quentin would LOVE old school pyrotechnics.
Swinging line and jump boots - because making a micro-version of the stunt-man's hydraulic jump pads is a cinch for Mysterio! And as a stunt man, he would have had as much call for being as good with a lasso as Montanna.
Robots - As said before. Robots with flame throwers, with saws, with lasers.
Sight Affliction Dazzles - making explosions look better with extra propane or lasers.
Holographic projectors.
The cape could be as good a hang glider as Moon Knight's cape, or at least stunt man parachute as well as Batman's.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Put me in the "Mysterio's look is great" group. It has that great combination of silver-age and otherworldly-ness. Mysterio is just one of those villains that need to be played to his strengths. Being able to warp and change someone's perceptions is a very powerful ability, I think some writer's just don't know how to properly utilize it.
Ares wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 2:09 am I'll also add myself to the group that likes Mysterio's outfit. Granted, I also like the Shocker and Electro's outfits, but with Mysterio, it really is all about the presentation. It's pretty easy to give Mysterio whatever effect you want. You can make him look majestic, imposing, even creepy just by playing with a few things.

Like, to ramp up the creepy factor, they could make those eyes on his cape claps look REAL, like they're actually moving, blinking, living eyes, make the helmet look like it's full of mist that changes shape and form, looking barely like a man's face, then something more horrific when he wants to terrify you.
Man those are some amazing pics. The last one with the glowing dome and cape full of limbs is particularly great! When I get home from work, I'm going to have to come back to this page and save these.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

The Thousand

Post by Jabroniville »

THE THOUSAND (Carl King)
Created By:
Garth Ennis & John McCrea
First Appearance: Spider-Man's Tangled Web #1 (May 2001)
Role: Bizarre Villain, Nightmare Fuel
Villain Ranking: D-List (One Shot)
Group Affiliations: N/A
PL 10 (241)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 5 (+6)
Intimidation 13 (+14)
Perception 8 (+8)
Stealth 8 (+12)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Body Made of Spiders"
Enhanced Advantages 5: Evasion 2, Improved Critical (Spider Bites), Improved Initiative, Move-By Action [5]
Senses 5 (Infravision, Radius Sight 2, Ranged Touch- Extended) [5]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling, Slithering) [4]
Elongation 3 [3]
"Spidery Arms" Extra Limbs 2 [2]

"Does Not Set Off Spider-Sense" Concealment 1 (Spider-Sense) (Extras: Continuous) [3]

"Difficult to Destroy"
"Fluid" Insubstantial 1 (Feats: Innate, Selective) [7]
Immunity 30 (Bludgeoning, Slashing Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [15]
"Multiply" Regeneration 8 [8]

"Eat From The Inside Out" Damage 6 (Feats: Dynamic, Reach 3, Subtle) (Extras: Penetrating 5, Continuous +3) Linked to Weaken All Abilities 6 (Feats: Reach 3, Subtle) (Extras: Continuous +3) (62) -- [76]
  • Dynamic AE: "Spider Bite" Weaken Strength 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Progressive +2) (31)
  • Dynamic AE: "Spider Aura" Damage Aura 3 (Feats: Dynamic) Linked to Weaken Strength 4 (Extras: Reaction +3) (29)
  • Dynamic AE: "Spider Storm" Damage 5 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Progressive +2) (29) 
  • Dynamic AE: "Spider Bites" Blast 5 (Feats: Dynamic, Accurate 3) (Extras: Multiattack) Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Progressive +2) (37)
  • Dynamic AE: "Spider Line" Damage 5 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line) Linked to Weaken Strength 6 (Extras: Progressive +2) (29)
  • Dynamic AE: "Spider Wave" Damage 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) Linked to Affliction 2 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area, Cumulative) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: "Webbing" Snare 10 (Feats: Accurate 3, Dynamic) (34)
"Taking Their Skin" Morph 2 (Humanoids) (Flaws: Limited to Individuals He's Just Eaten -2) [6]
"Summon Minions- Spider Swarm" Summon 3 (Feats: Mental Link) (Extras: Active, Controlled) [13]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Spider-Bite +10 (+10 Weaken, DC 20)
Spider Aura +10 (+3 Damage & +4 Weaken, DC 18 & 14)
Spider Area Attacks +5-6 (+5 Damage & +6 Weaken, DC 20 & 16)
Spider Bites +10 (+5 Ranged Damage & +6 Ranged Weaken, DC 20 & 16)
Webbing +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +10, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (Spider-Man)- Carl, an old bully of Peter's, is jealous of his amazing life as Spider-Man, and seeks to replace his enemy.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 147 / Defenses: 14 (241)

-The Thousand debuted in Spider-Man's Tangled Web, a series meant to showcase one-off creative teams in small arcs, all based around characters tangentially-related to Spider-Man. Part of the team behind DC's popular Hitman, Garth Ennis & John McCrea, invented a teen bully who witnessed his target, Peter Parker, being bitten by the radioactive spider. Soon putting two and two together, he dug the dead spider out of lockdown, ATE IT, and soon found himself mutated into a spider-spawning monster that soon ate him and his mother from the inside out (I hate it when that happens). He began eating dozens of people a year (mostly hobos), gaining strength as he went. He finally decided to kill Spider-Man, had him dead to rights, and then of course started MONOLOGUING, giving his entire history and bragging about all the people he's killed. Enough time for the poison he'd given Pete to wear off, causing another fight. He nearly won again, but punched an electrical box (despite Spidey's warning), electrocuting himself. A single spider survived, promising to renew the experience... but was casually stepped-on by a random passer-by.

-Not a bad-sounding story in all (I'm not CRAZY about retcons & addition to Peter's origin, but it's fairly self-contained), and a good example of some REAL horror you can introduce to standard superhero comics. He's a little similar to Swarm statistically, but packs a bunch of different stuff, like the ability to eat people from the inside out, Spider-Man's Webbing, and more. He's also Immune to the Spider-Sense, meaning that Pete's at a disadvantage from THAT, too.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Okay. I love Spidey. I love spiders.

But the Thousand is NOOOOOOPE!

The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I love that idea TBH.

We need more crazy crap like that in comics, even via the Swarm. You could make him terrifying.
Jabroniville

Living Brain

Post by Jabroniville »

THE LIVING BRAIN
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man #8 (Jan. 1964)
Role: Kill-O-Bot
Group Affiliations: The Sinister Six (Jobber Version)
PL 8 (72)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS -- PRESENCE --

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
Technology 3 (+8)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Robot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
Quickness 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Effects) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 4 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 11 (72)

-There's really nothing separating The Living Brain from any OTHER generic Kill-O-Bot in comics. It was created by some scientists to be the most-advanced robot & computer in existence, and was stolen by some crooks in order to help them win at gambling. The robot goes on a rampage, but is eventually defeated by Spider-Man. A complete half-assed one-off, even in the classic Lee/Ditko years, it was only brought back a couple of times, and usually as a quickie gag villain... until someone brought it out of the mothballs in the modern era, usually commenting on it like it was a joke. It showed up during The Superior Spider-Man as part of Boomerang's incarnation of the Sinister Six, which Ock-Spidey regarded as a goofball move. He defeated the villains, and reprogrammed the thing to be a lab assistant.

-Yeah, pretty boring Kill-O-Bot, without any cool weapons, even. It's a bit durable, but is only PL 7 on offense- I'm only statting it because it was a background part of the Superior Spider-Man run.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.