World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Shock

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Dr. Anastasia Joy, Agents of the LOLI

Post by Shock »

Japanese teenage A-Team?

So awesome.
Davies

Post by Davies »

With a kick of Japanese teenage Leverage, The Assassination Classroom, Grisaia Phantom Trigger ...
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Bear

Post by Bear »

So is Kouichi a Kamen Rider?
Davies

Post by Davies »

So far, he's declining to comment on how exactly he ended up the way he did, and says that he'll discuss it only if Kei reveals her secret.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Heh heh heh.
Well as a fan of the A-Team (and Leverage) I approve.

Though I suspect poor Fuzzy's going to come in thinking a certain somebody got her own agency ;~)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:35 am Heh heh heh.
Well as a fan of the A-Team (and Leverage) I approve.

Though I suspect poor Fuzzy's going to come in thinking a certain somebody got her own agency ;~)
There was a moment when I saw the title and wondered... :lol:
Davies

Post by Davies »

Well, I did consider mentioning Loli-chan in the "whispers" section, but the post was getting a little long. I also considered having Yuuko as the head of the Shin Kaze Gundan, but that's a little too hard edged for her.

Anyway. Tomorrow I'll be busy watching a certain movie, so no update until Saturday.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Fingers crossed that this movie turns out better then the last few.
Have fun!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Eh. On the other hand, I now have my next two or three ideas for this thread.

Tomorrow: You Know Who from Olympia, Washington.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Minerva

As with all the beings worshiped as gods along the Cosmic Coil, her origins are somewhat obscure. Was she in truth born full-grown and in armor from her father's head? Or is one of the other, lesser-known myths of her beginnings true? It is even possible that she was not the same goddess who aided Odysseus on his long voyage home, that that goddess of battle cunning fell in the Gotterdammerung of the sixth century and was replaced, in the aftermath, by a younger goddess promoted into her place. Perhaps that is why she favors her Etruscan name rather than the Greek.

Be that as it may, the modern history of Minerva begins far more recently. In 1948, a professor of philosophy at Emerald City's Malory College looked out upon the students beginning their education under his care, and despaired. What good would a classical education do these children in a world where cities could be destroyed in an instant, where super-men walked and even flew the skies? The world had gone back in time to an age before the flowering of philosophy, to a time of myth. With that in mind, the professor gazed at the bust of Pallas on his shelf of books and offered a sincere, genuine prayer to the goddess of wisdom, if she existed or had ever existed, to grant him the understanding to teach the students what they needed to know.

And Minerva answered, in person. She first assured the professor that he had not taken leave of his senses, then proclaimed that the basis of a classical education remained valid even in a decidedly non-classical era. To prove this claim, in answer to the professor's summoning, she would remain on Earth to guide both him and his students. Through her godly powers, she created the identity of Mary "Minnie" Verde, the professor's new secretary, privately acting as his advisor and counselor. She also assured him that she would protect the entire academy from harm from the strangeness in this new world.

So things remained for quite some time. Minerva wasn't a superhero as such -- she didn't fight crime or prevent disasters. While many of the students at Malory College caught glimpses of her over the years, most just assumed that they were imagining things. A very few knew better, but they kept their protector and champion a secret, remembering occasions when strange mystical forces had threatened them and been beaten back by the woman with the spear and the shield. In her secret identity, Minerva happened to cross paths with the Centurion of Freedom City in his secret identity, but neither encountered the other on more formal occasions.

In 1960, however, Hades invaded Freedom City, far to the west. Horrified, Minerva took flight to join the battle against the god of death, yet the conflict ended before she arrived on the East Coast. Further, in doing so she drew the attention of Zeus to her own presence on Earth-Prime, long after the summons she answered should have passed. After condemning Hades to the Underworld, Zeus commanded Minerva to return to Olympus. Obedient to the will of the Father of Gods and Men, she did so, sending a brief farewell to her now-elderly professor. For a brief while, as gods reckon time, Minerva turned away from Earth, not wishing to witness what the passage of time would do to those mortals she had left behind, and fearing the worst for their world.

And then, in 2008, Olympus came under assault by mortal criminals who sought to steal the powers of the gods for themselves -- and worse, succeeded in doing so! Minerva took up her arms again to battle against these madmen and -women, and joined forces with the mortal Captain Thunder, who had been granted a portion of Zeus' own might. Awed at this man who bore up under the weight of such power, her interest in the mortal world was once more rekindled. In a world with such souls in it, what else might be possible?

To return to Earth, however, would require her to once more be summoned by a mortal agent, and the odds did not seem good that such a miracle would happen twice. Minerva remembered then that she was the goddess of scheming, and devised a plan. After obtaining the help of Morpheus, god of dreams, she was able to strip herself of her immortality and much of her might and magic, placing them in a gem which she left in Morpheus' possession. Thus dispossessed, she no longer counted as one of the gods whom the Pact held back, and she was able to travel to Earth, arriving once more at Malory College, in the year 2011.

She found that it remained what it had been when she left ... and despite being (until very recently) an unchanging goddess, that unsettled her. Mortals and the institutions of mortals were meant to change and grow, and Malory College had done neither. Thanks to her preparations, she was able to take the identity of Minnie Verde, as a namesake of the woman who'd been a secretary there generations earlier. However, her efforts to become an advisor to the professors she worked for came to naught. What times had changed, they did not seem to have improved.

Yet she did find a handful of students who seemed to have the potential for true wisdom, and some of them became her friends -- most notably a slightly insane young woman named Yuuki Yukimura, who somehow stumbled on to Minerva's true identity within a few days of their first meeting. Yuuki encouraged Minerva to take flight as a true superhero, which Minerva found herself somewhat reluctant to do. Surely protecting the college and its students would be meritorious enough without seeking the public's regard.

After only a year of this, however, things started to go wrong. Yuuki was expelled from the college when it became clear that her family was not the wealthy benefactors the registrar had believed. Disturbed by this, and still somewhat uneasy with the stultification of the college she'd once loved, Minerva abandoned Malory College herself. She managed to arrange for Yuuki to receive a scholarship to study at Saint Martin's University, and offered to travel there with her. The offer was gratefully accepted by Yuuki's parents.

From there, it was just a matter of time before Yuuki's pleas for her to embrace superheroism broke down Minerva's defenses, and she debuted as a superhero protecting Olympia and the entire state of Washington. Recruited by the Freedom League, she gratefully became a member. When the Silver Storm broke out in Emerald City, Minerva briefly returned there to reveal that the wicked goddess Eris was fanning the flames of madness, and joined forces with the Sentinels to oppose her. She has accepted an honorary membership with the team, sometimes called upon when their full membership isn't quite up to a challenge.

Of course, the fact that she has walked away from Olympus does not mean that Olympus has walked away from her, and Minerva is frequently drawn into the intrigues of her family. She must walk a careful line with them, since she no longer enjoys their immortality, and matters which would be only a momentary trouble for the other Olympians would bring about her end. But there are occasional benefits, such as the warnings she receives from Harmonia when Eris begins her schemes ...

Minerva -- PL 12

STR 10 | STA 12 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 8 | INT 5 | AWE 7 | PRE 5
Powers: Aegis (Enhanced Defenses 8 [Dodge 4, Parry 4], Immunity 17 [critical hits, electrical damage, flame damage, magic damage], Easily Removable), Doru (Strength-Based Damage 3, Improved Critical, Reach 1), Easily Removable), Magic Helmet (Immunity 5 [emotion effects], Removable), Might of the Immortals (Impervious Toughness 12, Immunity 11 [aging, life support], Power Lifting 2), Rides the Wind (Flight 6), Speaks The Truth (Comprehend Languages 4).
Advantages: Attractive, Close Attack 3, Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (doru), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Jack-of-all-Trades, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ritualist.
Skills: Expertise: Magic 8 (+13), Expertise: Philosophy 17 (+22), Intimidation 8 (+13), Insight 12 (+19), Investigation 8 (+13), Perception 13 (+20), Persuasion 12 (+17).
Offense: Initiative +4, Unarmed +11 (Close, Damage 10), Doru +11 (Close, Damage 13, critical 19-20)
Defenses: Dodge 12/8, Parry 12/8, Fortitude 12, Toughness 12, Will 12
Abilities 110 + Powers 71 + Advantages 10 + Skills 34 + Defenses 9 = Total 234 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Family (the Olympians). Friends (Yuuki Yukimura). Secret Identity. Truthful.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yuuki Yukimura

Now let me ask you, for you seem like a clever and unbiased person, and somewhat cute as well -- if you tell someone interviewing you that your father is Doctor Yukimura, and they get all excited because they've heard of a famous Doctor Yukimura who does brain surgery or something like that, and they just assume that you are talking about this person rather than your father the veterinarian, and you can't clarify the matter because you can't read minds and don't know that they're operating on false pretenses, isn't the whole mess which then ensues really their fault and not yours? Absolutely! Definitely! Probably. But did that interviewer get expelled? No!

Yuuki's mother and father had been so happy when they'd heard she'd been accepted at Malory College, too. Her little brother had just sneered but even he had been nice enough to promise that when his gang ruled the city the college would pay only a pittance in protection money, which was practically saintly for him. (And it wasn't like his gang even managed to rule their tenement, so even if someone were inclined to view it as a threat, it was a really silly threat.)

True, actually attending Malory College was a lot less exciting than getting into it had been. Nobody was exactly mean to her, but nobody was really friendly, either. It was hard to understand many of the conversations going on around her, even the ones that weren't in foreign languages, since everybody else seemed to come from backgrounds where going hungry at night wasn't something that happened, the way that it had for Yuuki's family. But eventually it would get better, she was certain.

And it did! Four days after classes started, she met an honest to goodness superhero and found out her secret identity! Of course, when Minerva swore her to secrecy, she immediately agreed. She wasn't the sort of person who went around telling secrets! Why, when her brother and his gang had robbed that 7-11, she hadn't turned him in to the police, had she? No! She'd beaten him and his little punk friends silly, then put on a costume and, at knife point, returned all the stuff they'd stolen but not eaten yet and paid for the stuff that they had! That was the sort of person Yuuki wanted to be -- the sort of person you could count on.

Every day after that was one long adventure, and a glorious one at that. But all good things must come to an end, and eventually someone found out that she was the daughter of a poor veterinarian and not a rich brain-or-whatever surgeon. Out she was kicked. But Minerva came to her rescue, and though Yuuki was sad to be leaving her parents and even her little brother behind, moving to Olympia promised to be the start of something better. And it was.

Yuuki eventually graduated from Saint Martin's University and got a job working as Minnie Verde's secretary there. She does her best to cover for Minerva's absences, on those occasions when she doesn't dash into battle to help her best friend. It's not really clear how Yuuki can do some of the things that she has managed to do -- a best guess is that she was mutated thanks to MarsTech's labs, which weren't terribly far from her home growing up. Regardless, anyone who fights MInerva has Yuuki Yukimura to deal with as well!

Yuuki Yukimura -- PL 8

STR 8 | STA 8 | AGL 3 | DEX 1 | FGT 4 | INT 0 | AWE 3 | PRE 3
Powers: Fast (Speed 4), Leaping (Leaping 4), Never Heard The Word Impossible (Enhanced Advantage 1 [Uncanny Dodge], Enhanced Defenses 8 [Dodge 4, Parry 4]), Resilient (Impervious Toughness 8, Regeneration 5), Strange Mind (Immunity 20 [mental effects]).
Advantages: All-Out Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Luck 4, Ultimate Effort 3 (Fortitude Checks, Toughness Checks, Will Checks), Uncanny Dodge.
Skills: Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+8), Deception 7 (+10), Expertise: Secretary 5 (+8), Insight 6 (+9), Perception 6 (+9).
Offense: Initiative +3, Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 8).
Defenses: Dodge 8/4, Parry 8/4, Fortitude 9, Toughness 8, Will 7.
Abilities 60 + Powers 50 + Advantages 9 + Skills 16 + Defenses 6 = 141 points
Complication: Responsibility--Motivation. Friends (Minerva). Wacky.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Minerva, Yuuki Yukimura

Post by Davies »

<pauses while doing prep-work for tomorrow's post> Y'know, when fortune smiles on something as crazy as trying to make up a story around Nazi espionage in Central and South America, it seems proof like none other that not only does God exist, but you're doing His will. <nods>
Davies

Post by Davies »

El Lince

The origins of the curse on the eldest son of the Villagatos family of Argentina are somewhat obscure, but are believed to date back to at least the seventeenth century. By the twentieth century, the curse had weakened to the point where those subject to it had some control over it, and used their ability to transform into a cat-like humanoid to protect their family's interests. However, just what doing so has entailed has varied from generation to generation.

In January of 1942, the eldest son of the Villagatos family, Jose Arturo Villagatos, was contacted by agents of the Thule Society, operating in conjunction with Operation Bolívar. He was already known to be sympathetic to the fascist tendencies of his own nation and to those of Germany and Italy, but the Thule Society were less interested in his politics than his supernatural powers. They wanted him to work for them as an assassin and saboteur, and offered their magical assistance in altering the curse so that more of Jose Arturo's own mentality was in control of the beast's power.

Intrigued by this possibility, Villagatos agreed to take part in a black magical ceremony, which succeeded in altering the nature of his bestial form. (It also slightly diminished the cat's ability to resist magical influence, something that the Thule magicians were not quite so keen to inform him.) Thus transformed, he adopted the code name of el Lince (The Lynx) and began operating as a secret agent of the German government throughout South and Central America.

Almost immediately, el Lince's activities caught the attention of the Envoy, who had begun his own personal war against Axis influence in the southern hemisphere in 1942, first assisting the protection of Allied shipping during the Battle of the Caribbean, both for its own sake as well as to intercept any German U-Boats that happened to discover Utopia. The first direct clash between the two came in May of that year, when el Lince attempted to assassinate Mexico's President Manuel Ávila Camacho and much of his cabinet, in the apparent belief that this would prevent the Mexican government from declaring war on Germany.

The battles between the Envoy and el LInce followed a pattern -- while the Envoy was always able to prevent the cursed cat man from inflicting as much damage as he sought to inflict, Sarlyn was never able to capture his enemy for any length of time, either. Even when he reduced el Lince to unconsciousness, the cat would recover and slip away while the Envoy was attending to other matters. It was the first time the Utopian had ever had the experience of developing a grudge against someone, and he found that he did not relish the experience at all.

The final battle between the two foes came in July of 1944, when Jose Arturo was smuggled into the United States proper to assassinate and sabotage a Mexican fighter squadron undergoing training there, later known as the Aztec Eagles. In this battle, the Envoy enjoyed the support of other super heroes -- specifically of Lady Liberty and Adrian Eldrich -- and was able to capture and hold his foe, who reverted to human form when reduced to sleep by Eldrich's magic. During their subsequent interrogation of him, Lady Liberty used her powers to undo the magical compulsion that had been driving el Lince. The discovery that he had been unduly influenced by his Thule Society allies offended Villagatos' pride, though not enough to prevent him from escaping at the first opportunity.

In August of 1944, most of the German spies in Argentina were rounded up, including Jose Arturo's handler. The man himself escaped capture, fleeing into hiding in Brazil. Focused as he was on affairs in Europe, the Envoy was unable to assist in tracking down el Lince until June of 1945. With assistance from Brazilian army forces, he tracked the cat man's movements and was able to determine that his old enemy had stumbled into one of the many portals that led to the Lost World. The Envoy elected not to pursue el Lince any further.

The curse on the Villagatos family was passed to the eldest son of the next generation of the family seven years later, suggesting that Jose Arturo had finally met his end. Yet it seemed that whatever had been done to curse changed it, weakening it -- all that the next victim received was catlike senses, not a full transformation. The curse wouldn't regain its full power until the 1990s. Without their powers, the Villagatos family managed to escape the notice of the military juntas that might have used them for sinister purposes. So it could be said that, in the end, Jose Arturo Villagatos, for all his sins, did much to protect his family.

El Lince -- PL 9

STR 6 | STA 6 | AGL 7 | DEX 3 | FGT 8 | INT 2 | AWE 4 | PRE 1
Powers: Catlike Speed (Leaping 2, Movement 1 [Slow Fall], Speed 4), Claws (Strength-Based Damage 2, Penetrating 4), Feline Senses (Senses 6 [Acute Smell, Danger Sense, Darkvision, Tracking, Ultra-Hearing]).
Advantages: Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Evasion, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Startle, Uncanny Dodge.
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+15), Athletics 7 (+13), Expertise: Survival 8 (+10), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 12 (+13), Perception 8 (+12), Stealth 9 (+16).
Offense: Initiative +11, Claws +8 (Close Damage 8, Penetrating 4).
Defense: Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 10, Toughness 8/6, Will 6.
Totals: Abilities 74 + Powers 20 + Advantages 10 + Skills 30 + Defense 11 = 145
Complications: Vengeance--Motivation. Family. Accidental Change (to human form when rendered unconscious or asleep, to beast form when angry).
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

El Lince (Lynx?) seems to fit my general physical stats for Jaguar of the Champions. Good show. :) Even the same name, Villagatos. Nice cross pollenation. :)
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Skaramine wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:15 pm El Lince (Lynx?) seems to fit my general physical stats for Jaguar of the Champions. Good show. :) Even the same name, Villagatos. Nice cross pollenation. :)
Yep, it's my intention that this guy is Santiago's great-grand-uncle or something of that degree. What was amazing was how well the real world history worked out ...