Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

FoH

Post by Jabroniville »

THE FRIENDS OF HUMANITY:
Created By:
Scott Lobdell & Tom Raney
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #291 (Aug. 1992)
Role: Racist Army
Leaders:
Graydon Creed

-The F.O.H. were a weak-ass 1990s response to '80s Anti-Mutant organizations like The Right and The Purifiers. Since Scott Lobdell was involved, it was as half-assed as The Upstarts turned out to be, though I guess Fabian Nicieza's gotta take SOME of the blame as well, since X-Force dealt with them a bit, too. They're failures for the same reason Graydon Creed himself was a failure- he's basically a more 100% douchebaggy version of Robert Kelly, who was a GOOD anti-mutant activist: Kelly was a guy who had good points hidden behind a wall of bad opinions, and you could totally see his side, and even sympathize a bit. Creed was just a bigot, frothing at the mouth, and his goons (typically just guys in purple unitards with guns) were useless filler. Hell, X-Force once invaded a compound of at least forty of them and EFFORTLESSLY took it apart, cracking jokes all the while- they rescued captured teammates Rusty & Skids basically without even trying (a fun bit included the team arguing over which squad counted as "Team A" and another featured Warpath walking down the stairs nonchalantly carrying about a dozen unconscious dudes).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

National Force

Post by Jabroniville »

THE NATIONAL FORCE
Created By:
Roger McKenzie & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: Captain America #231 (March 1979)
Role: Fifth Columnists/Nazi Successors
Leaders:
Doctor Faustus

-Nazis are always great villains, and every once in a while, Marvel resurrects the real thing, not just a stand-in like HYDRA. Their name is probably based off of The National Front, a real-life white supremacist organization; I had a Social Studies class in College that featured a documentary about them. The looks on the faces of the minorities in class afterwards was something to see, let me tell you- especially when the guy went into detail about how blacks are "civilization destroyers", while asians- who white supremacists actually don't seem to mind- are "civilization sustainers", and whites are naturally "civilization creators". Don't tell him about Ancient Mesopotamia.

-The National Force is created by Cap villain Doctor Faustus, using the fourth Captain America (the super-strong, insane one) as a patsy called The Grand Director. His Bucky eventually went more sane and became Nomad. Sharon Carter, Cap's Always-Captured Girlfriend of the '60s, was killed off in this storyline to get rid of her. The Director committed suicide, but reappeared in modern times as part of Ed Brubaker's run on the book (Sharon had long-since returned anyways).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds! (WICKED!! Elphaba! The Wizard! FIYEERRRRROOOOOO!!! Glinda!)

Post by drkrash »

Well. It's taken me WEEKS to catch up on the last 40 pages or so.

I had comments, but it's all on old stuff. Since Wicked was most recent, I'll once again remind Jab that one of my friends was in the original Broadway cast with Cheno and Idina. (She was in the ensemble, but eventually played Madame Morrible.)
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Black Spectre

Post by Jabroniville »

BLACK SPECTRE:
Created By:
Steve Gerber & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Daredevil #109 (May 1974)
Role: Background Mook Army
Leaders:
The Mandrill
Unknown

-These guys are a minor force seen most-often in Daredevil's book, where they were part of Mandrill's army of female followers, disguising their gender with bulky costumes. Mandrill's plan was similar to Charles Manson's, in that he wanted to foment race riots and war within the United States (though putting Adolf Hitler's face on Mount Rushmore is a much more elaborate plan than Manson ever envisioned), then take control from the ensuing chaos. They disappeared after this, only reappearing in Mark Waid's current Daredevil run as a sacrificial lamb... since they're not a major organization like HYDRA or A.I.M., it's possible to DESTROY the group in continuity, which is exactly what happens when Daredevil finds The Omega Drive, a collection of data on five major "Megacrime" organizations, and releases all the info on Black Spectre after they frame him, make him a target, and try to frame The Black Cat at the same time. This destroys the organization, gets countless members killed, and proves to the others that DD isn't bluffing.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

drkrash wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:03 am Well. It's taken me WEEKS to catch up on the last 40 pages or so.

I had comments, but it's all on old stuff. Since Wicked was most recent, I'll once again remind Jab that one of my friends was in the original Broadway cast with Cheno and Idina. (She was in the ensemble, but eventually played Madame Morrible.)
Sweet! I remember you making that post, because it popped up while I did a search on my old threads. Ensemble seems like a fun gig, though as the guys in Behind the Emerald Curtain said, you don't really make great "New York" money. Playing different stuff each day seems fun, though. And your F-ups are more amusing to the crowds (I remember Book of Mormon having a skeleton lose a maple donut during Spook Mormon Hell Dream, then a random guy grabbing it and handing it back in one move- pretty slick), instead of "OMG, remember when Glinda butchered her line/fell over?"

But feel free to comment on the old posts. I do so become addicted to comments on my builds/the characters I comment on :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I'm also reminded of how my posting style has changed. Not wanting to "spam" the poor old forum (with most people choosing the "10 posts per page" option), I posted these in groups of 4-5 for the most part. I did that for most "Crappy Teams", too (like The Supremacists or System Crash). Nowadays, I actually stick to a "one per post" set-up, both to make the archives a little easier to search through (building The List was tricky thanks to a lot of names disappearing into group-posts), and to fit the "15 per page" count, which to me is the ideal post-number (10 is too little and stuff gets lost easily, 20 is too much, especially for my kind of long-windedness).
Jabroniville

Sons of the Serpent

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SONS OF THE SERPENT
Created By:
Stan Lee & Don Heck
First Appearance: The Avengers #32 (Sept. 1966)
Role: Forgotten Mooks, Racist Army
Leaders:
General Chen
Dan Dunn (TV demagogue) & Montague Hale
J.C. Pennyworth (black guy in a white disguise)
The Hate-Monger
Lucas Green
Russell Diabola (demon)
Supreme Serpent (unidentified)

-An early group of bigots, The Sons of the Serpent were created by Stan Lee during the post-Jack years of The Avengers, and were secretly led by General Chen, a Communist Chinese guy, which is odd, because they were later used as stand-ins for various far-right White Supremacist organizations, such as the Ku Klux Klan and the National Front. They were beaten down numerous times, but often popped up in later books for one-shot stories. One was led by J.C. Pennyworth, a BLACK guy disguised as a white businessman who was with the group because he wanted power. 

SON OF THE SERPENT
Role:
Mook
PL 4 (35)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+2)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Terrorist) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Technology 1 (+1)

Advantages: 
Equipment 4 (Laser Guns), Ranged Attack

Equipment:
"Laser Gun" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)
"Blaster Staff" Blast 6 (12)
"Gas Grenades" Affliction 6 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Cloud) (Diminished Range -1) (17)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Laser Guns +3 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Blaster Staff +2 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications: 
Responsibility (Terrorist)

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (35)

-Sons of the Serpent are usually disbanded quickly, but are often more well-armed than your usual Henchmen, packing Gas Grenades, Electified Serpents (minions disguised as staffs) and Blaster Staffs in addition to the usual gear.

ELECTRIFIED SNAKE
Role:
Disguised Weapon
PL 5 (72)- Minion Rank 6, Sidekick Rank 15
Normal Version:
PL 4-5
STRENGTH -3 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -4

Skills: 
Athletics 6 (+3)
Close Combat (Bite) 1 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 14 (+6 Size)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+11 Size)

Advantages:
Crushing Pin, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Startle

Powers:
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Senses 3 (Acute Infravision, Scent) [3]

Electrical Aura 5 [20]
Morph 1 (Staff) [5]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Aura +4 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +0, Fortitude +3, Will +1

Complications: 
Disabled (Animal)- Snakes cannot speak to humans, nor use their tails to easily manipulate objects.
Disabled (Senses)- Snakes have poor eyesight & hearing.
Weakness (Cold-Blooded)- Reptiles are cold-blooded- that is, their bodies are the same temperature as the air around them. As such, they are slow & sluggish in cold temperatures, and will die quickly if left in winter-like conditions. They must warm up before they are any good.

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 5 (72)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

To offer a comment on way back to the Virtua Fighter builds: the VF guys were dull builds because they are dull characters. I'm an unapologetic defender of fighting game stories; they're not brilliant, but they *matter.* If VF had a better story - or, ya know, a story - it might not be dead. And yeah, I know the hardcore will state how deep the fighting is, but VF is not a hot property anymore because the characters lack character.

On present topic: anyone recall any stories that plausibly tried to explain where mook armies got their mooks from?
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

drkrash wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:30 am To offer a comment on way back to the Virtua Fighter builds: the VF guys were dull builds because they are dull characters. I'm an unapologetic defender of fighting game stories; they're not brilliant, but they *matter.* If VF had a better story - or, ya know, a story - it might not be dead. And yeah, I know the hardcore will state how deep the fighting is, but VF is not a hot property anymore because the characters lack character.

On present topic: anyone recall any stories that plausibly tried to explain where mook armies got their mooks from?
Well, the other reason is that in games like VF, Tekken, ect. the characters are all basically the same build, mostly: Accurate Human-Level Martial Artists. At least Tekken has some wacky, off-the- wall characters and devils and dragons that shoot lasers. and the characters are more developed than VF.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

KorokoMystia wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:43 am
drkrash wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:30 am To offer a comment on way back to the Virtua Fighter builds: the VF guys were dull builds because they are dull characters. I'm an unapologetic defender of fighting game stories; they're not brilliant, but they *matter.* If VF had a better story - or, ya know, a story - it might not be dead. And yeah, I know the hardcore will state how deep the fighting is, but VF is not a hot property anymore because the characters lack character.

Well, the other reason is that in games like VF, Tekken, ect. the characters are all basically the same build, mostly: Accurate Human-Level Martial Artists. At least Tekken has some wacky, off-the- wall characters and devils and dragons that shoot lasers.
To clarify, I wasn't complaining about Jab's builds, but rather that we could spend time discussing Street Fighter, while the VF builds generated nothin'.
Jabroniville

The Hellfire Club Goons

Post by Jabroniville »

THE HELLFIRE CLUB
Created By:
Chris Claremont & John Byrne
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #129 (Jan. 1980)
Role: The Wealthy Elite & Their Goons
Leaders:
Sir Gordon Phillips
Elias Bogan
Sebastian Shaw
Roberto daCosta (Sunspot)

-The Club themselves are most-notable for being the group of supervillains in the "Inner Circle"- Sebastian Shaw, Emma Frost, Harry Leland & Donald Pierce, soon being joined by Selene when Pierce & Leland left. Actually the REAL leader of the Club was Sir Gordon Phillips, an Englishman who's not an important character- the Inner Circle were the dangerous connivers within. Eventually Phillips died of the Legacy Virus, and things bounced around to the point where SUNSPOT became the leader of the group, attempting to legitimize it. Though this often gets ignored and he's just some wealthy gadabout these days, and Kade Kilgore formed his own aspect of the group, removing mutant members.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

The Right

Post by Jabroniville »

THE RIGHT
Created By:
Louise & Walt Simonson
First Appearance: X-Factor #17 (June 1987)
Role: Forgotten Mooks, Racist Army
Leaders:
Cameron Hodge

-One of the early anti-Mutant organizations out there, The Right were Cameron Hodge's goons, and centred around the third-tier X-Factor book. Since Louise Simonson was writing, it was pretty forgettable stuff, and they didn't really go anywhere. Their most-notable aspect is the fact that they use Goons in Power Armour, packing creepy smiley-faces on the front in a kind of sick irony. They weren't seen much after the apparent death of Hodge, nor when he was resurrected by demons and made an immortal assistant to Genosha- they only reappeared in the modern era, upon the resurrection of their master.

-And yes, I should have posted them when I statted up Hodge again :).

SMILEY-FACE BATTLESUITS
Role:
Elite Mooks
PL 7 (80)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+2)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Terrorist) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Technology 1 (+1)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Powered Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [42]
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
Protection 8 (8)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
"Creepy Smile" Enhanced Skills 4: Intimidation 4 (+7) (2)
"Missiles" Blast 7 (Extras: Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5 Uses) (21) -- (22)
AE: "Machine Guns" Blast 7 (Extras: Multiattack) (21)
-- (52 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Armoured Strength +4 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Machine Guns +5 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Missiles +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2 (+10 Battlesuit), Fortitude +2, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (Terrorist)

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 4 (80)

-Smiley-Faced Battlesuits aren't the most elite fighters ever, but they're highly-dangerous for what amounts to Henchmen, and I would probably not even use Minion Rules for them. At certain points in X-Factor, they held Immunities to all the powers of the X-Factor members, making them a MUCH tougher foe- most other appearances use them as merely Elite, PL 7-ish Mooks.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Corporation

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CORPORATION
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Deady Hands of Kung Fu #23 (April 1976)
Role: Evil Corporation
Leaders:
Senator Stivak
Curtiss Jackson
Filippo Ayayla
Veda
Dr. Karl Malus
Veil

-A pretty generic "Evil Organization", their schtick is mainly to be a parody of Corporate America, with bad guys in suits. They still use super-villains as agents, naturally, but only in minor books- the REAL superhero books get to use HYDRA and A.I.M. like God intended.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Maggia

Post by Jabroniville »

THE MAGGIA
Created By:
Stan Lee & Don Heck
First Appearance: The Avengers #13 (Feb. 1965)
Role: Mafia Stand-Ins
Leaders:
Count Nefaria
The Masked Marauder
Madame Masque
Bruno Karnelli
Silvio "Silvermane" Manfredi
Top Man
Hammerhead

-The Maggia are an obvious stand-in for the real-life Mafia, who were quite often not directly named by certain media organizations, often for fear or reprisal (an old wrestling tag team called The Black Hand were basically threatened by "legitimate businessmen" for repeatedly muttering "Mafia, mafia..." under their breaths and wearing black gloves). The name makes it pretty clear, as do the Italian names of most of their members, but needless to say, this was one of Marvel's comic-booky attempts to include real-life crime figures amongst all their tights-wearing bad guys. Of course, they ALSO hire supervillains and mad scientists, but wouldn't YOU if you were simple Mafiosi in a world of high-level supercrime?

-The Maggia, like the real Mafia, isn't exactly one big organization, but a collection of smaller ones, often allied or feuding with each other. Count Nefaria was the biggest attempt at a major supervillain from the group, but Spider-Man villain Silvermane ended up being the most-used and commonly-seen. And only in comics could the semi-realistic Mafia Boss be turned into a cyborg in order to gain immortality. Nonetheless, there are ALSO real "Mafia" families, often there to fight The Punisher, while the more colourful characters end up fighting the Cyborgs and Super-Villains of The Maggia.

MAGGIA MOOK- ABOVE-AVERAGE
Role:
Mook
PL 4 (36)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+2)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Automatic Weapons), Ranged Attack

Equipment:
"Machine Gun" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Guns +3 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (36)

MAGGIA MOOK- STANDARD
Role:
Mook
PL 3 (24)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 1

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+2)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Automatic Weapons)

Equipment:
"Machine Gun" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Guns +1 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (24)

-Maggia Hitmen are basically like regular Mooks but with slightly-different Skills focusing more on criminal enterprises and shaking people down.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Maggioso?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.