Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Nephrite

Post by Jabroniville »

Seriously- THIS DEATH passed the censor boards.

NEPHRITE (Masato Sanjoin)
Dub Name:
Nephlite (Maxfield Stanton)
Name Translation: Green mineral
Role: The Manly Bass-Voiced Guy, The Villain Turned Good
Main Uniform Colour: Gray
Hair Colour: Brown
PL 10 (208)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+7)
Deception 6 (+10, +15 Attractive)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 8 (+11)
Expertise (Astrology) 8 (+11)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+9)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+7, +12 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 4 (+10)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages: 
Attractive 2, Benefit 3 (Wealth), Defensive Roll, Diehard, Equipment 7 (Sword +3, Mansion, Sweet Car), Fascination (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Dark Energy Blasts), Last Stand, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 3, Ritualist, Taunt, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Dark Kingdom Powers"
Blast 10 (Extras: Multiattack) (30) -- [37]
AE: "Drain Energy" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed & Fatigued/Stunned & Exhausted/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Quirk: Victim Needs to be at High Exertion -1) (23)
  • AE: Damage 10 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Area-Line) (26)
  • AE: Teleport 12 (24)
  • AE: Move Object 8 (16)
  • AE: Illusion (Visuals & Audio) 4 (12)
  • AE: "Confusion Effect" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 30 ft. Burst)
  • AE: "Imbues Objects With Energy-Boosting Power" Affliction 8 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Progression +2, Affects Other Objects Only +0) (Flaws: Limited to Focused Exertion At Talents) (16)
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
Morph (Humanoids) 3 [15]
"Summoned Sword" Strength-Damage +3 [3]
"The Stars Know Everything" Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Astrology Check Required) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Sword +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Weaken +10 (+10 Ranged Weaken, DC 20)
Area Blast +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Confusion Effect +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +9, Will +8

Complications (Early):
Responsibility (Gather Energy for the Dark Kingdom)- Even though it pains him to do so, he admits to Naru that he will likely continue to lie to her, because he is an authentically bad person.
Responsibility (Loves Molly/Naru)- Though he is indifferent to the young girl at first, he is stunned when he realizes that her love for him sets off the Dark Crystal. Coming to admire her determination and kindness, he genuinely cares for her, and fights to save her life against Zoisite's Minions.
Rivalry (Nephlite)- Zoisite taunts him frequently, and is eventually responsible for his death- betraying him and having him killed by henchmen.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 27 / Powers: 65 / Defenses: 16 (208)

-Nephlite/Nephrite was in my opinion the coolest of the Shitennou- he had a booming voice of villainy in the Original Dub, could fight like a bad-ass, and had a way smarter approach than Jadeite, while also being more condusive to storytelling. By focusing all his efforts on one person (infesting an object of theirs with the spirit of a Monster, causing them to become obsessed), he would wait till their energy reached it's peak level, and then steal it all at once, producing a MASSIVE influx of power to the Negaforce/Metalia. In his secret identity as Maxfield Stanton, he was a sex object to the ladies, and it allowed him to move freely in the mortal world. Of course, this all got shot to hell once he started developing real feelings for Naru/Molly, Sailor Moon's best friend. He just used her at first, but he was devoted enough to her over time that it became his Achilles Heel. This makes him a much better character than in the manga (some purists are pro-manga and anti-anime, like many are pro-original and anti-dub), where he was just an aggressive vengeance-seeker, trying to avenge Jadeite's death.

-Zoisite, Nephrite's bitchy rival, had Naru kidnapped and sent her three Youma after him. He pumelled them badly (in one of the show's most vicious action scenes, featuring him one-punching three women in a row, then nearly decapitating one with a sword) but in a quiet moment with her, while he was distracted, one of the Youma transformed her arms into spikey vines and fired the equivalent of AN ENTIRE TREE through his shoulder, leaving him mortally wounded. How this passed the US censors (who blocked off even the boob lines during transformation scenes), I have no idea, because he was GUSHING green blood all over the place, and you could see giant branches just sticking out of him. The Senshi arrived and finished the trio off, and Nephrite's face turn was complete. Of course, he lay there dying for the sake of it, eventually dissipating in Naru's arms. Just a magnificent episode overall, and the first true sign that this was more than just "some action anime": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKqEJaeb ... re=related (part 2 here- goes on to part 3). "I'm glad I met you. I'm sorry, but it doesn't look like we'll get to eat that chocolate parfait together..." ... um, excuse me. I seem to have something in my eye....

-Nephrite is a WAY bigger heavy-hitter than poor Jadeite was, and is much more expensive. A PL 10 ass-kicker, the Senshi would've been hard-pressed to do away with him (at one point, they manage to nearly kill him thanks to a distraction from Naru, but Naru leaps into the way of the Tiara, saving his life), and it took three powerful Youma to finish him off, and even then they needed a distraction, as they were no match for him when he was fresh. He had powerful Blasts (including a Multiattacked one), most of the same powers Jadeite did, but he never used objects to drain energy- he just went out and did it. He has a limited ability to tell the future (he looks to the stars for knowledge of whom the next big "expender of energy" will be), and he can infuse objects with the spirit of a Youma. The stats for that are iffy, but I choose to have a simple Transform effect- the Youma itself takes care of mind-controlling the person into being even MORE demonically obsessed with their chosen field.

-He pairs up well against Kunzite, though the two never interacted on-camera- Kunzite is much more variable, however, and is harder to hit. Nephrite's fatal flaw is that he "tanks" everything, making him only PL 8.5 defensively. I also kept him at "only" PL 10 because he was very congizant of the fact that Queen Beryl could kill him easily.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Jadeite! Sailors Mercury & Mars! Nephrite!)

Post by Davies »

He's also the only character in the anime to give a hint of the manga's plot development considering the Generals, that they were originally Endymion's supporters. This is a plotline that was almost completely dropped from the manga except for one scene in one episode, which could just be read as Mamoru suspecting Nephrite's identity and vice versa.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:51 am He's also the only character in the anime to give a hint of the manga's plot development considering the Generals, that they were originally Endymion's supporters. This is a plotline that was almost completely dropped from the manga except for one scene in one episode, which could just be read as Mamoru suspecting Nephrite's identity and vice versa.
Hm, I don't recall that one at all.

That's such a weird bit of manga stuff, considering how the show went. Like the whole "the Shitennou and the Senshi were lovers" thing that started because of one picture Naoko T. drew, and thus inspired a million FanFics.

I actually have almost all of the manga, but stopped reading after the first or second collection, partially due to lack of time. I found it a little more boring, and the fight scenes pretty bad. It's interesting how they tended to just skoosh the villains immediately, wiping them out instead of giving them any characterization or redemption, like the anime did.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sweet! Randomly shopping at the new "Sunrise Records" store in West Edmonton Mall (literally just the old HMV store but with "Sunrise" on the labels- they even have the same shelves!), I found out that they dubbed Sailor Moon R- The Movie! So I gots me the Blu-Ray, and can add Fiore and those Flower Broads to the list of builds to do! I also picked up Sailor Moon Crystal finally, as the DVD set is only 40 bucks (I was kind of thinking about the Blu-Ray, but the price is positively INSANE- ninety dollars for a 14-episode series!).
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:38 am
Davies wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:51 am He's also the only character in the anime to give a hint of the manga's plot development considering the Generals, that they were originally Endymion's supporters. This is a plotline that was almost completely dropped from the manga except for one scene in one episode, which could just be read as Mamoru suspecting Nephrite's identity and vice versa.
Hm, I don't recall that one at all.

That's such a weird bit of manga stuff, considering how the show went. Like the whole "the Shitennou and the Senshi were lovers" thing that started because of one picture Naoko T. drew, and thus inspired a million FanFics.
I believe it's in episode 17 or 18. The two of them pass each other, then pause and look at each other. In the original dub, there's some dialogue here -- "Do I know you?" "No. We've never met." -- but I don't know if it's in the Japanese version or not.
Jabroniville

Zoisite

Post by Jabroniville »

ZOISITE
Dub Name:
Zoysite
Name Translation: Green mineral
Role: The Girly-Man, The Man In Japan/Girl in North America, The Sneaky Villain, The Dirty Rotten Cheater
Main Uniform Colour: Gray
Hair Colour: Blonde
PL 9 (151)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 5 (+7)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages: 
Equipment (Blade), Fascination (Deception), Improved Critical (Nega-Blasts), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Ritualist, Taunt

Powers:
"Dark Kingdom Powers"
Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (24) -- [30]
  • AE: "Drain Energy" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed & Fatigued/Stunned & Exhausted/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Extra Condition) (20)
  • AE: Teleport 12 (24)
  • AE: Telekinesis 8 (Feats: Increased Mass 2- 25 tons) (18)
  • AE: Illusion (Visuals & Audio) 4 (12)
  • AE: "Petal Eruption" Dazzle Visuals 8 (16)
  • AE: Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel- Dark Kingdom) (2)
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
Morph (Humanoids) 3 [15]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blast +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Weaken +10 (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Petal Eruption +10 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications (Early):
Responsibility (Gather Energy for the Dark Kingdom)
Responsibility (Loves Kunzite)- The two are lovers, and hopelessly devoted to each other. Zoisite looks up to Kunzite greatly, and wishes to make him proud at all costs.
Reputation (Vain)- Attacks to Zoisite's vanity are absurdly effective. Even the slightest mark on him/her will result in exponential revenge. He also wusses out any time something bad happens to him.
Enemy (Tuxedo Mask)- The two compete immediatley for the Seven Rainbow Crystals, and things only get worse. When ordered specifically not to harm Prince Endymion by Queen Beryl, Zoisite ignores the orders in a fit of rage, resulting in his death.
Rivalry (Nephlite)- Zoisite taunts him frequently, and is eventually responsible for his death- betraying him and having him killed by henchmen.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 16 (151)

-Zoisite was a supremely unlikeable bitch in the anime. Or should I say "dick"? See, in one of the most famous instances of censorship in anime-to-North-America HISTORY, Zoisite was transformed in the dub to a woman. Not that it took any particular effort- Zoisite looked so much like a woman anyways that the difference was hard to tell. Skinnier body than the other Generals, long flowing hair tied into a ponytail, long eyelashes, etc.- it was a heck of an easy change to make (the only real difference between Zoisite and the actual females of the show was that he wasn't rail-thin). All this to hide the fact that he-she was in a loving relationship with Kunzite/Malachite, who trained Zoisite in the first place. Oh well, it was a change they pretty much HAD to make (even if they didn't mind that he was gay... he was a gay VILLAIN, so they probably wouldn't have wanted to offend the wrong crowd), so I can't get too upset about it. And it really doesn't change the character any.

-Zoisite debuted by actively taunting Nephlite during his chase for the Silver Crystal. Zoisite wanted that job BADLY, and conspired to take it from Neph. His three youma killed Nephlite, and he stole the Dark Crystal, allowing him commandership under Queen Beryl, who admitted that Zoisite showed promise (apparently she had no idea Neph was murdered- or she just didn't care since he'd turned good anyways). Zoisite then hunted for the Seven Rainbow Macguffins... I mean Crystals, trying to combine the Silver Crystal into one, thus allowing the Dark Kingdom victory. Now, why they never quite tried this BEFORE this point was unknown (would've been a lot easier with only one Sailor Senshi around, y'know), but there's no explaining some things.

-Zoisite then started a three-way feud with the Senshi and Tuxedo Mask (who was hunting Crystals for his own reasons), and we had an interesting bunch of episodes centred around these rivalries, as the Senshi questioned Tuxedo's loyalty, and Zoisite & he started brawling quite frequently over it. Eventually, Zoisite combined all the Crystals and mortally wounded Tuxedo Mask with a sneaky Telekinesis-assisted-shot from a sharp stalagmite. But the impending death set up the Deus Ex Machina of Sailor Moon weeping over his body, which enabled his resurrection and the combining of the Silver Crystal into herself, which set off the NEXT big portion of the first season. Enraged with Zoisite's utter failure, Queen Beryl murdered him right in front of Kunzite, who wept openly, but hardened himself for the mission ahead, knowing he had to do what Beryl said.

-Zoisite is notably weaker than Nephlite, but is still much better than Jadeite. He fights more by being sneaky and conniving, plotting away, as nearly every time he fights someone fairly, he loses. He was mostly tied with Tuxedo Mask in all of their fights (they dodged and weaved a lot, using their respective tricks to win), didn't battle the Senshi too much, and used minions to off her biggest threats, so there's no reason to believe he's super-elite. Zoisite is STILL PL 10 though, requiring Sneak Attacks for maximum power, and has the unique Dazzle trick up his sleeve. The Black Crystal is a bit iffy to stat, since it's more of a tool for the villains to do stuff (hunt the Crystal Carriers, turn people into monsters for the Senshi to fight), and it got traded around a bunch (Nephlite invented it just before he died- which is why I didn't stat him up with it- but Zoisite, Kunzite & Prince Endymion all used it as well) but I figured "what the hell" and threw it in there. It transforms people into the standard Youma of the day- but it's not really powerful enough to work on a major hero character. Without it, Zoisite is PL 10 (151), which is even cheaper than Jadeite was. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ahh Good ole Bishonen males. The envy of Fangirls everywhere and fodder for every sort of fiction there can be
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Sailor Jupiter

Post by Jabroniville »

Chibi-Usa: "Hey, how come you know how to pilot a boat, Mako?"
Makoto: *smug grin* "I can do anything!" *winks*

SAILOR JUPITER (Makoto Kino)
Dub Name:
Lita Kino
Role: The Powerhouse, The Tomboy, The Feminine One (yes, that too), The Boy-Crazy One
Main Fuku Colour: Green
Elemental Alignment: Lightning, Wood
PL 9 (154)
STRENGTH
3/4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6, +7)
Athletics 4 (+7, +9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+11)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Ice Skating) 4 (+7, +8) -- Uses Agility
Expertise (Homemaker) 8 (+8) -- Half-Price
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 7 (+8)
Perception 3 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Jupiter Attacks) 2 (+9)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment (Communicator), Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Interpose, Last Stand (Ignores All Damage For 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Startle, Takedown, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]

"I Can Do Anything!" Enhanced Advantages: Beginner's Luck [1]

"Sparkling Wide Pressure!" Blast 9 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 7) (27) -- [33]
  • AE: "Supreme Thunder!" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (16)
  • AE: "Supreme Thunder DRAGON!" Damage 9 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (Flaws: Tiring) (26)
  • AE: "Jupiter Coconut Cyclone!" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (27)
  • AE: "Sailor Teleport!" Teleport 14 (Extras: Extended Only +0, Accurate) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (14)
  • AE: "Sailor Planet Attack!" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (20)
  • AE: "Sailor Planet Power!" Force Field 8 (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Unarmed Senshi +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Supreme Thunder +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Sparkling Wide Pressure +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Coconut Cyclone +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3 (+4 Senshi)

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications (Early):
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Kino Makoto, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are forced to fight evil, and protect Sailor Moon.
Responsibility (Schooling)
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Enemy (Current Big Bad)
---
Responsibility (Temper)- Jupiter is the most easily-angered of the Sailors, and is always the first one to attack. She often over-uses All-Out & Power Attack, robbing her of needed defenses. She is quite often the first Sailor taken down.
Relationship (Usagi)- Makoto Kino doesn't make friends easily- she is tough, brassy, intimidating and insular. It took a weak schoolgirl to break through her defenses and make friends one day, and this changed her life. Mako does not forget this, and is always the first one to spring to Sailor Moon's defense, whether against Sailor Mars, or an enemy.
Relationship (The Other Sailors)- Jupiter is quite close to the other Sailors, but especially Venus. Mars is too proud, and Mercury too bright, to get involved with too many shenanigans.
Obsession (Old Sempai/Upperclassman)- Lita was dumped by an Upperclassman at her old school (named "Freddie" in the Original Dub), and his memory drives her to this day. Any handsome guy will instantly remind her of her old B.F. Regardless of his appearance, demeanor, hobbies, or manner of dress.
---
Obsession (Boys)- Makoto/Lita is boy-crazy like the other girls, but often focuses laser-like on one particular target at a time.
Relationship (Motoki)- Motoki is the only crush of Lita's that goes on for a significant period of time. It gets to the point where she tries to interject in his relationship with Reika, who plans to travel abroad for schooling.
Reputation (Bully and Delinquent)- Word got out that Mako was kicked out of her old school for fighting, and her curly hair and "giant size" (5'7"!?!?!!?!?) makes everyone think she's a ruffian.
Responsibility (Masculinity & Femininity)- Mako is a study in contrasts- the most brawl-happy and combat-ready of the Sailors, she is also the most domestically-gifted by far.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 17 (154)

Sailor Jupiter- The Toughest and Girliest Sailor:
-Sailor Jupiter is just such an incredibly cool, distinct character- one of the most underrated ones out there. A ton of girls I know grew up LOVING her, and I think it all comes down to her basic nature: She is equal parts the most masculine AND the most feminine of the early Sailor Senshi. I mean, she stands out because she's a giantess (in Japan, being 5'7" as a teenage girl is TITANIC), she threatens people, she gets pissed off extremely easily, she beats the shit out of bullies that harass her friends, and she's got the most damaging attacks other than Usagi's. And yet... she wears flower earrings, has flowing bangs and a ponytail, obsessively cleans, gets crushes on boys easily, and is the greatest cook in the land. She's basically what so many girls dream of becoming- tough, strong and cool... but sacrificing ZERO femininity to get there.

Jupiter's Debut:
-Jupiter debuts as a tough girl who was thrown out of her old school for fighting- her violent reputation makes everyone avoid her. However, when she beats the hell out of a trio of toughs who threaten clumsy Usagi for running into their pal, Usagi becomes interested, ignores all of the nay-sayers, and makes an effort to make a new friend. This endears her to the tough Makoto Kino, who hangs out with her from then on, and ALWAYS defends her against others. Soon, she's revealed to be Sailor Jupiter, and proves to be so devoted to kicking ass that she is able to kick ass without transforming, proving it by picking up the Game Machine Man and throwing his ass across the yard before getting her Transformation Pen.

-But while she's this tough, hardcore Fighter-Chick, Mako is also an extremely feminine character- she is a delicate homemaker, taking special care in making numerous special treats at school. Usagi is of course in love with that. And Mako proves her femininity yet again the second a handsome boy shows up- lights in the sky, sparkles in her eyes, and flushing at the cheeks, she moons over Joe the Crane-Game Troll, falling head over heels immediately. "He's just like my sempai!" she warbles, lovingly recalling the older boy who broke her heart (Sempai is Japanese for a person who's older/above you in status). She follows him around endlessly (even when he talks about how "Giant girls like her aren't my type!" ("that's just what HE used to say!"), acts hurt when he doesn't like her, and right when she gets over it... she sees a new boy, and decides to chase after HIM. Jupiter is awesome.

Jupiter in the Show:
-This sets up a lot of running gags- Jupiter is hilariously defensive of Usagi, backing her up against Sailor Mars and others. Anyone outside of her circle who mocks one of them... dies. Yet every single time she meets a new handsome boy, she gets the same reaction- "he's just like my sempai!" She openly crushes on nice-guy Motoki, thus acting as an antagonist to Usagi as they scheme to win his heart. She moons over an ice skater who turns into a Monster, alongside his girlfriend. There's a fun episode where she tries to manipulate Motoki's girlfriend into leaving the country, but ends up cheering them on regardless. But admits that she'll hopefully still be able to win him over.

-Mako is also an effective "ridealong buddy" for Usagi- Ami is too level-headed to join in on shenanigans, and Rei too aloof and proud (she goes along in secret). Mako is just as immature, scholastically-impaired, and boy-crazy as Usagi is at times, so it's fun watching them kind of pair off and act like goofs about their failures. This gives Usagi a partner in crime that works better than the more-normal Naru, who eventually takes a seat.

-Susan Roman's performance of Jupiter is considered the only universally-liked aspect of the Original Dub of Sailor Moon- it's the only thing a "Dubbie" can say in a group of "Subbies" and not have them get their neckbeards into a twist over it. Her dramatic, raspy, breathey voice gave a fun air to the character, easily her finest work (the only other role I know her from is Hanna Dundee in Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, aka "How can a Post-Apocalyptic Show featuring classic cars and f*cking DINOSAURS be so goddamned boring?"). The New Dub version seems to put some effort into matching Roman's delivery a little bit, too.

Jupiter's Talent:
-Jupiter became infamous in the series due to an odd bit of dubbing. See, in the R episode where they're competing over who gets to play Snow White in the play they're putting on, they throw out various excuses as to why they should play the lead (Ami wants the role because she sleeps for much of it, and has fewer lines to memorize)- Jupiter's is, naturally, that she should get the role because she has the biggest breasts. Despite this FLAWLESS LOGIC, the Original Dub decided this wasn't appropes, and so had the dialogue altered to "I have the most experience with acting", which turned into "The most TALENT!" in a later argument. Except they not only kept the motion towards her breasts when she said it, but the "boing!" sound effect at the same time! Henceforth, Sailor Jupiter, the bustiest of the Sailors, was always referred to by the fandom as "the most Talented" due to in in-joke (internet fans by this point were QUITE familiar with the original dialogue).

Jupiter as Time Goes Along:
-The show really glosses over her family life- in the manga, it's stated that her parents were killed in a plane crash, giving her a phobia of airplanes (she actually runs and hides when she sees them). And unfortunately she takes a bit of a back-seat after a point- in Sailor Moon R, she once has to share a Focus Episode/New Power Revelation Episode with Sailor Venus, in a move that made me think the two were paired off separately from "the Main Three". They did give her some new backstory in R, though, with her talking about her old, platonic friend Kenji, and how their relationship was "closer than romance".

Jupiter's Stats:
-Jupiter is built a fair bit differently from her allies. While everyone gets boosts into more physically powerful women fighters, Jupiter becomes REALLY strong and tough, meeting +6 in physical stats, and being very good in melee. She's the only Senshi to be PL 8.5 in melee at all, and has a few more options in combat. Otherwise, she's an ideal Blaster, hitting with tons of Lightning-based attacks (while most Senshi hooked up with one key element, Jupiter left Wood mostly behind and stuck with the lightning of her Planet's namesake except for her final form's attack) in various Areas (the Supreme Thunder Dragon is a particularly horrific example, as it can independently haul ass after a target, but is Tiring to pull off, since she only used it ONCE, in the "let's fill space" arc in "Sailor Moon R".

SAILOR JUPITER (Makoto Kino)- First Season
Dub Name:
Lita Kino
Role: The Powerhouse, The Tomboy, The Feminine One (yes, that too), The Boy-Crazy One
Main Fuku Colour: Green
Elemental Alignment: Lightning, Wood
PL 8 (130)
STRENGTH
3/4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6, +7)
Athletics 4 (+7, +9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+11)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Ice Skating) 4 (+7, +8) -- Uses Agility
Expertise (Homemaker) 8 (+8) -- Half-Price
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 7 (+8)
Perception 3 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Jupiter Attacks) 2 (+9)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment (Communicator), Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Interpose, Last Stand (Ignores All Damage For 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Set-Up, Startle, Takedown, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]

"Supreme Thunder!" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) [15]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Unarmed Senshi +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Supreme Thunder +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Sparkling Wide Pressure +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Coconut Cyclone +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3 (+4 Senshi)

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications (Early):
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Kino Makoto, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are forced to fight evil, and protect Sailor Moon.
Responsibility (Schooling)
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Enemy (Current Big Bad)
---
Responsibility (Temper)- Jupiter is the most easily-angered of the Sailors, and is always the first one to attack. She often over-uses All-Out & Power Attack, robbing her of needed defenses. She is quite often the first Sailor taken down.
Relationship (Usagi)- Makoto Kino doesn't make friends easily- she is tough, brassy, intimidating and insular. It took a weak schoolgirl to break through her defenses and make friends one day, and this changed her life. Mako does not forget this, and is always the first one to spring to Sailor Moon's defense, whether against Sailor Mars, or an enemy.
Relationship (The Other Sailors)- Jupiter is quite close to the other Sailors, but especially Venus. Mars is too proud, and Mercury too bright, to get involved with too many shenanigans.
Obsession (Old Sempai/Upperclassman)- Lita was dumped by an Upperclassman at her old school (named "Freddie" in the Original Dub), and his memory drives her to this day. Any handsome guy will instantly remind her of her old B.F. Regardless of his appearance, demeanor, hobbies, or manner of dress.
---
Obsession (Boys)- Makoto/Lita is boy-crazy like the other girls, but often focuses laser-like on one particular target at a time.
Relationship (Motoki)- Motoki is the only crush of Lita's that goes on for a significant period of time. It gets to the point where she tries to interject in his relationship with Reika, who plans to travel abroad for schooling.
Reputation (Bully and Delinquent)- Word got out that Mako was kicked out of her old school for fighting, and her curly hair and "giant size" (5'7"!?!?!!?!?) makes everyone think she's a ruffian.
Responsibility (Masculinity & Femininity)- Mako is a study in contrasts- the most brawl-happy and combat-ready of the Sailors, she is also the most domestically-gifted by far.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 26 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 15 (130)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Nephrite! Zoisite! Sailors Mercury, Mars & Jupiter!)

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 pm -Susan Roman's performance of Jupiter is considered the only universally-liked aspect of the Original Dub of Sailor Moon- it's the only thing a "Dubbie" can say in a group of "Subbies" and not have them get their neckbeards into a twist over it. Her dramatic, raspy, breathey voice gave a fun air to the character, easily her finest work (the only other role I know her from is Hanna Dundee in Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, aka "How can a Post-Apocalyptic Show featuring classic cars and f*cking DINOSAURS be so goddamned boring?"). The New Dub version seems to put some effort into matching Roman's delivery a little bit, too.
You haven't seen Rock and Rule? GASP!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh shit! Totally forgot that one :)! That was a silly damn movie, but has by far the greatest method of disposing of an eldritch abomination ever- SEVENTIES ROCK.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

No, I'm sorry, you're absolutely completely wrong. Zoisite is a beautiful woman. Most definitely a beautiful woman.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Danelsan's comments from 2011, regarding Sailor Jupiter, and her later powers (her Super StarS attack being Oak Evolution), having aspects of wood (a big-time Asian element):
As perhaps expected, many such characteristics can be linked to her being the wood one.
Wood is linked to growth and muscles/sinews - so it is natural for her to be the tall, strong one

While wood can be considered the second most yang element (fire obviously being the first), it is also the transitory element between water and fire, the greatest yin and the greatest yang. The environmental manifestation associated with it is the wind, born of the interaction of hotter air and colder air. Likewise, she has an overall active, yang personality, but has both masculine (yang) and feminine (yin) aspects to it.

Same can be said of the lightning, not only a reference to Zeus/Jupiter, but also a yin/yang interaction and transition, present in the positive and negative electrical charges interacting and transiting from a more static charge to a sudden discharge.

Maybe I'm just seeing patterns where none was intended (humans are really good at finding/imagining patterns XD), but that is how it seems to me :)
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ill take 2 please

what? Tall gorgeous brunette with a pony tail who can cook and fight better then I can? Sign me up.

Also one quick note regarding Sensei and Sempai. The titles are actually technically gender neutral they're meant to represent any person in a position of authority.

Sensei is any instructor male or female, generally in the Master role in a situation.

Sempai is also likewise meant to be any person in a senior or upper class role.

All the fun things you learn in Martial Arts classes especially when theyre don't in 90% Japanese. :)
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Just in case anyone doubts Jupiter's skill as a fighter:

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Mother of God. So rad...

Of course that's the scene where Prince Endymion humiliates her by easily parrying all of her attacks, then runs off after proving he COULD have just knocked her out :).