Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Sailor Venus

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

SAILOR VENUS (Minako Aino, aka Sailor V)
Dub Name:
Mina
Role: Wannabe Starlet, The Annoying One, The Copy of the Main Hero
Main Fuku Colour: Orange
Elemental Alignment: Metal, Love
Hair Colour: Blonde
PL 9 (137)
STRENGTH
1/2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 8 (+8, +10 Sailor)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Idol) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 8 (+8)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Venus Attacks) 4 (+10)
Stealth 1 (+6)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Daze (Persuasion), Defensive Attack, Equipment (Sailor Communicator), Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Seize Initiative, Set-Up 2, Ranged Attack 3, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]

"Venus Love-Me Chain!" Blast 8 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (21) -- [29]
  • AE: "Love-Me Chain as Snare" Snare 8 (Feats: Tether, Reversible, Fast Grab) (Flaws: Limited to One Target) (19)
  • AE: "Love-Me Chain as Whip" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (16)
  • AE: "Love-Me Chain as Object-Grabber" Move Object 7 (14)
  • AE: "Crescent Beam!" Blast 7 (Feats: Improved Critical (15)
  • AE: "Crescent Beam Shower!" Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Tiring) (16)
  • AE: "Sailor Teleport!" Teleport 14 (Extras: Extended Only +0, Accurate) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (14)
  • AE: "Sailor Planet Attack!" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (20)
  • AE: "Sailor Planet Power!" Force Field 8 (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Sailor Strength +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Crescent Beam +10 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Crescent Beam Shower +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Love-Me Chain +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Chain Whip +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Planet Attack +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Aino Minako, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are charged to fight evil, and protect Sailor Moon.
Responsibility (Schooling)
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Obsession (Idols & Becoming an Idol)- Minako eventually shifts in personality to become desperately obsessed with idol singers. She loves them, and she wants to BE one, at all costs.
Relationship (Katarina & Alan)- Minako loved Alan, but upon realizing that he cared for Katarina more, she stepped aside and let them be together.
Reputation (Idol Chasing Ditz)- The other girls eventually become rather annoyed as Mina becomes more and more manic.
Reputation (Unlucky in Love)- Minako was cursed as "Sailor V" to always be unlucky in love- all of her attempts at it will go awry.
Enemy (The Dark Kingdom, Ail & An, The Black Moon Clan, The Death Busters, Queen Nehellenia, Sailor Galaxia)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 19 (137)

Sailor V- From Upstart Manga to Additional Cast Member:
-Sailor Venus was the toughest "fit" into the Sailor Moon cast, and took the longest to be normalized. Problematically, she started life as "Sailor V", from a manga of the same name, by the same creator- Naoko Takeuchi essentially had a pretty popular little deal with Sailor V, and took the entire concept and shifted it a bit (mineral-themed villains, a talking cat sidekick, called attacks, etc.) for Sailor Moon, which ended up as a sequel. And so with Sailor V joining THAT cast... suddenly we had two characters with more or less the same personality, as Moon was essentially the same kind of character as V- a giddy, crush-having schoolgirl. They even had the same family- a group based off of Naoko's own!

-This heavily contrasts the manga, in which Venus was the actual straight-up LEADER of the Sailor Senshi, packing a dangerous sword and probably being the best overall fighter. "Serious Venus" was around for quite some time, as the others had been around for so long and had so much time to develop their relationships, so there was less time for her.

Sailor Venus- The Final Inner Senshi:
-This was made worse by the timing- Sailor Venus actually didn't make her debut until Episode #33, and the first season only lasted thirteen more episodes! Up until that point, Sailor V was just some silly thing the girls were all obsessed with, with episodes featuring her arcade games, her upcoming movie, etc. And right after she debuts is when Zoisite is killed, Sailor Moon is revealed to be the Moon Princess, and Mamoru/Endymion is kidnapped and brainwashed! There's STUFF going on! And so her characterization kind of has to fall by the wayside.

-This left Sailor Venus (as she was renamed) in a tough spot- the anime creators either had her as the most serious, mature Sailor, or the silliest- she's a bit normal in her civilian form, but in the "Countess Trains Girls To Be Princesses" episode, she's dancing with her partner as if she was a kindergartener, pumping her arms with her eyes closed! And the later seasons seem to kind of blow poor Minako off- in a few Sailor Moon R episodes, she's actually stuck SHARING Focus Episodes with Sailor Jupiter- one of them shows the two like they've paired off as a regular duo, arguing over some silly thing like friends do.

Her Past Explained:
-The Original Dub was extremely weird with her, too- the whole Sailor V/Sailor Venus thing is literally NEVER EXPLAINED, and she just pops up one day as Sailor Venus, despite numerous episodes having featured Sailor V stuff heavily. Things were made worse by her biggest, big-time Focus Episode being left out of the airing, as it deals with her "Sailor V" past. Minako's old friend Katarina (who's hooked up with Minako's old crush, Allan, from back when they all lived in England...) arrives under the sway of Kunzite, and becomes the monster Papillon (Butterfly) in order to kill Minako. Usagi helps out (magically able to pilot boats when her Disguise Pen transforms her into an ACTUAL Sailor), and soon we get the backstory- Minako & Katarina were partners, fighting crime and Monsters in England back when Minako was just Sailor V. Minako was in love with Allan, but when she found out that Allan & Katarina were in love, she allowed them to believe that she was killed in a blast. Sailor Moon thinks Venus should be SUPER-bitter and hate them, but the more-mature Venus insists she's not EVIL or anything, and convinces Sailor Moon to use the Healing Activation to cure Katarina of the Dark Kingdom's brainwashing. The final summation: Venus is the most-mature of the Sailors. Well, THAT'd go away once she became the "Idol singer-obsessed" one of the bunch. This one was a nice showcasing of the old Sailor V manga. But it's REALLY weird that this "Allan" guy was the key to much of the backstory, but didn't even actually APPEAR- he was just in the flashbacks!

Venus Becomes Set In Stone:
-Eventually, the writers would give up on her "maturity" and just turn her into the wackiest, goofballiest, Idol-obsessed Sailor. This was pretty much finalized in the episode where she begins taking care of the other girls, who've all come down with colds. "Nurse Venus" begins taking care of them in increasingly-horrible ways, eventually driving Mercury, Mars & Jupiter crazy with her incompetent care (Mars is fed a soup full of salt, then has music blared at her at maximum volume). This goofy version of Venus seems to be the "iconic" one, as Venus Fans almost always cite it as their favorite episode. It's a bit odd to see the "Weird, Idol-Obsessed One" in a show where SAILOR MOON is the main character, but that was always kind of my issue with the character- I could never figure out Venus Fans, because to me, it was like cheering on the one character who was basically like the main character, but moreso.

Venus's Stats:
-Sailor Venus is a pretty "typical Sailor"- fast and Blast-y. Faster than she is tough, she eventually packs some serious firepower, using multiple variations of her base power and the Snares from her Love-Me Chain. The basic Chain is really just a Blast, much like the Crescent Beam, but I figure it's stronger since she dropped the Beam almost entirely once she got the Chain attack. She also uses the one-off R technique "Crescent Meteor Shower"- a Multiattack Tiring Blast, or can alternately use the Chain as a Snare or a Move Object (in a one-off episode, she grabs a boulder with it and moves it out of the way- something she could never do unarmed).

SAILOR VENUS (Minako Aino, aka Sailor V)- First Season
Dub Name:
Mina
Role: Wannabe Starlet, The Annoying One, The Copy of the Main Hero
Main Fuku Colour: Orange
Elemental Alignment: Metal, Love
Hair Colour: Blonde
PL 8 (122)
STRENGTH
1/2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 8 (+8, +10 Sailor)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Idol) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 8 (+8)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Venus Attacks) 4 (+10)
Stealth 1 (+6)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Daze (Persuasion), Defensive Attack, Equipment (Sailor Communicator), Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Seize Initiative, Set-Up 2, Ranged Attack 2, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]

"Crescent Beam!" Blast 7 (Feats: Improved Critical) [15]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Sailor Strength +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Crescent Beam +9 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Aino Minako, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are charged to fight evil, and protect Sailor Moon.
Responsibility (Schooling)
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Obsession (Idols & Becoming an Idol)- Minako eventually shifts in personality to become desperately obsessed with idol singers. She loves them, and she wants to BE one, at all costs.
Relationship (Katarina & Alan)- Minako loved Alan, but upon realizing that he cared for Katarina more, she stepped aside and let them be together.
Reputation (Idol Chasing Ditz)- The other girls eventually become rather annoyed as Mina becomes more and more manic.
Reputation (Unlucky in Love)- Minako was cursed as "Sailor V" to always be unlucky in love- all of her attempts at it will go awry.
Enemy (The Dark Kingdom, Ail & An, The Black Moon Clan, The Death Busters, Queen Nehellenia, Sailor Galaxia)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 19 (122)

-Sailor Venus drops to the standard PL 8 Sailor build in the first season.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Nephrite! Zoisite! Sailors Mercury, Mars & Jupiter!)

Post by Davies »

Sailor Venus fandom can be illustrated as follows.

And they're the kid grinning.

Usagi is daffy but more or less stable. Minako. Is. Nuts. You never know what she'll do next. She'll do things like two-timing her dates (usually the male is doing this) when she knows that there are villains hunting girls. She'll get excited about having her pure heart stolen because it means that despite everything, she's got a pure heart!
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

My notes on the famous Sailor Venus episode:
Episode #78: This is a pretty famous one for Sailor Venus fans, largely because it completely defined her new personality. Perfected it, basically. A wave of flu virus has hit Juban District in Tokyo (even back then, the Japanese always wore medical masks to avoid transfering illness to others), and all of the Sailors have come down with it... except for Minako. And unfortunately... she is the world's crappiest nurse. She leaves Makoto's place a disaster area, and is then taking care of poor Rei, insisting she'll get her "rice gruel" right this time. Watching Rei eye it suspiciously while Minako's eyes light up like a child on Christmas morning is hilarious. And then of course she A) adds too much salt, B) spills the ENTIRE THING on Rei, and C) dumps her out of bed while trying to change the sheets. Then somehow she blows up Rei's stereo, and the poor girl has had it.

In a bizarre moment, Mina jumps from the ground to the second-floor balcony of Usagi's home! Not even in Sailor form! This... this goes against my theory that their Sailor Forms are powered-up compared to their normal ones! How... how did this happen?!?

Then stuff gets awesome- Mina finally stops F-ing up and Usagi feels a bit better. They have one of those "girl chats" where Usagi's all "is this 'cause I'm the Princess?" and Minas all "Nah, it's because we're great friends and I feel at ease around you". Then, while the Sailors triumphantly stagger through the streets, REFUSING to let the flu virus hold them back from their duty, Mina stumbles upon Esmeraude's plot, and the villainess goes "this means you found out about my plan to make everyone sick, then give them medicine laced with Dark Power?". Mina's all "of course I knew that!" Even though SHE HAD NO IDEA. That is so rad.

Hey- Venus uses the CRESCENT BEAM in her solo fight! We haven't seen that in ages! And then the others arrive, and we get Bubble Spray! Some director was nostalgic, I see. They make short work of the Droid, Esmeraude leaves, and soon poor Minako now has to deal with a flu of her very own... and must survive the ordeal of NURSE USAGI. One of the funnier episodes, largely for slapstick and the growing anger/frustration of the poor Sailors.

(Monster Powers: Multiattack Needle Blasts)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

SAILOR V:
-I really never followed this much (information was hard to find when I was a teen), but the Sailor V manga consisted of a solo heroine and her sidekick Artemis fighting against the Dark Agency. Her family was much like Usagi's own, and she even had a dorky nerd named "Amano" who had a crush on her! Basically, the whole thing comes off as the "planning stage" for Sailor Moon.

-Her enemy in the series is Danburite, who was reincarnated on Earth after being killed in the Silver Millennium. His love for Venus in the olden times turned into an obsession in modern ones, leading him towards evil. He disguised himself as an actor to get close to her (the actor's superhero persona looks a lot like Tuxedo Mask, too), but he broke her heart when his identity was revealed. Minako finally killed him in the end.

My review of the only episode of the anime to use any of this:
Episode #42: OH MY GOD THIS ONE!! I forgot about it! The infamous "Sailor Venus meets her old boyfriend from England" episode, which was deleted from the list of North American dubs initially. It's a huge bit of backstory for the mostly-ignored Venus character. And wow, it turns out it's important to the overall plot, too- the "Dark Spots" on the Sun appear as the final warning sign of encroachment from the Dark Kingdom.

Anyways, Minako's old friend Katarina (who's hooked up with Minako's old crush, Allan, from back when they all lived in England...) arrives under the sway of Kunzite, and becomes the monster Papillon (Butterfly) in order to kill Minako. Usagi helps out (magically able to pilot boats when her Disguise Pen transforms her into an ACTUAL Sailor), and soon we get the backstory- Minako & Katarina were partners, fighting crime and Monsters in England back when Minako was just Sailor V. Minako was in love with Allan, but when she found out that Allan & Katarina were in love, she allowed them to believe that she was killed in a blast. Sailor Moon thinks Venus should be SUPER-bitter and hate them, but the more-mature Venus insists she's not EVIL or anything, and convinces Sailor Moon to use the Healing Activation to cure Katarina of the Dark Kingdom's brainwashing. The final summation: Venus is the most-mature of the Sailors. Well, THAT'd go away once she became the "Idol singer-obsessed" one of the bunch.

This one was a nice showcasing of the old Sailor V manga. But it's REALLY weird that this "Allan" guy was the key to much of the backstory, but didn't even actually APPEAR- he was just in the flashbacks!
Jabroniville

Artemis

Post by Jabroniville »

ARTEMIS
Role:
Mentor Figure
PL 4 (99)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA -1 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+9)
Athletics 10 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Deception 6 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Computers) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 9 (+11)
Expertise (History) 2 (+4)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+0)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)
Technology 8 (+10)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Evasion, Fast Grab, Grappling Finesse, Improved Initiative, Last Stand (Ignores All Damage For 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Prone Fighting, Uncanny Dodge, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (4 mph) [3]

"Cat Agility"
"Righting Reflex" Movement 1 (Safe Fall) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]
Leaping 1 [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
(-2 Strength & Speed, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness -1, Fortitude +2, Will +6

Complications: 
Disabled (Animal)- Artemis cannot use his paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (Minako)- Though Artemis is sarcastic and often very cruel to his charge ("none of you have boyfriends, so you're stuck here with us cats!"), he genuinely cares for her.
Relationship (Luna, Diana)- Artemis falls in love with Luna after years of bickering, and even have a daughter come from the future in Diana!
Responsibility (Never Knows Anything Important)- The Cats have tons of information locked inside their minds, and are always there with exposition. Unfortunately, they never learn these things until its plot-relevant, meaning that most things are left mysterious until they literally just happen, at which point the Cats can now explain what's going on.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 66--33 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 7 (99)

-Artemis was Minako's Cat Sidekick in Sailor V, thus predating Luna by a ways. When Venus makes her debut in Sailor Moon Artemis is alongside her. He & Luna are established as old allies from the Moon Kingdom, and soon they reveal that the "Mission Control" that Luna has been talking to each night, commisserating over their mission, was in fact ARTEMIS all along! This thread, which went on for like twenty episodes, was thus blown off as a gag, with an embarrassed Artemis (with tins of cat food beside him) never explaining why he was tricking Luna.

-Eventually, a status quo was set in- while Luna was more important, Artemis was usually alongside her to bark orders and give mentorly advice. Except that he was a bit of a stubborn ass at times, and Minako often punished him for his smart-assed, sarcastic manner. He would make fun of their datelessness, or scream "I hope you get fat!" at their excitement over a cake shop, and she would either jab him with her finger (the Original Dub edited this out once) or just trap him in a picnic basket or something. However, on several occasions the cat really came through- more than once, he would be the sole hero left to tackle a villain while the others were indisposed, and we would cycle back to seeing a scratched-up, exhausted Artemis taking on a Monster more than twice the size of a human being, with superhuman powers!

-Artemis and Luna would later hook up, with her stodginess and seriousness and his more careless, sarcastic manner making a good pair. Their kitten, Diana (notice that all three cats use names based around Moon Goddesses of the ancient world) was ridiculously cute, too. Curiously, since Mamoru was often apart from the group, the sarcastic Artemis was really the only male contact the girls had in most of their missions- I'm just now realizing that. In the manga, he was a bit more calm and rational, and occasionally took human form in times of crisis.

-Though not a major combatant, Artemis is able to hold off villains for a significant chunk of time, despite having -1 Toughness and -2 Strength. He is, if nothing else, REALLY REALLY PERSISTENT. Hell, I even gave him Last Stand & Withstand Damage, two things that almost NEVER end up on Cat characters!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:55 pm Sailor Venus fandom can be illustrated as follows.

And they're the kid grinning.

Usagi is daffy but more or less stable. Minako. Is. Nuts. You never know what she'll do next. She'll do things like two-timing her dates (usually the male is doing this) when she knows that there are villains hunting girls. She'll get excited about having her pure heart stolen because it means that despite everything, she's got a pure heart!
Heh- nice. I can get behind that, a bit. Usagi is a silly, dumb teenager, but Minako is the one to do the TRULY insane things.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MissRo wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:23 am I love how passionate you are about your fandoms, Jab! What would you say are your top 3?
Heh, thinking about it, I was pretty obsessed with A Goofy Movie back when I was a teen, too. It was probably one of the movies I watched more than any other. Oddly, I never saw it in theatres- I just watched the hell out of the VHS my parents bought.

But it's funny how my Sailor Moon one worked- my obsession was so deep that I was watching almost ANYTHING from Japan, and went through every SM page on the Anime Web Turnpike, which is incredibly STILL A THING (though most of it's 404'd, so I think it might be dead). It was 100% behind me going to Japan on a 2-week exchange in 1998. I watched every episode in the 65 they aired multiple times... but by the time the show finally got the later episodes dubbed (only a couple of years later), I was barely watching. I saw MOST of Sailor Moon R in the end, and watched all of Sailor Moon S, but I could barely tell you anything that happened in them. This is in sharp contrast to remembering specific SCENES of the original run.

It's funny to look at the fandom now, too- the fans of the original, who were mostly children at the time, have grown up into nostalgic 25-30 year-olds, and they're all huffy over the new dub having different voices, even though the "prevailing wisdom" of the Old Fanbase was that "Original Dub SUX, Subtitles RULE!", and Dub fans were made fun of by the elitist traditionalists. Just goes to show you how fandoms can get pretty contentious. I mean, I never thought I'd see the day when we'd have people nostalgic for the original, censored, super-altered version of the series.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:06 pm Another series I missed out since it became big in America after I became an adult. *sigh*
You should have shown the foresight to become an adult animation-nerd. Surely the 1990s provided no drawbacks to THAT!
Jabroniville

The DD Girls

Post by Jabroniville »

THE D.D. GIRLS
Dub Name:
The Doom & Gloom Girls
Role: Elite Mooks
Main Uniform Colour: Various
Hair Colour: Various
PL 9 (147)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Deception 4 (+5)
Intimidation 8 (+9)
Perception 5 (+6)
Stealth 6 (+11)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Improved Critical (Tentacles), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Startle, Taunt

Powers:
"Dark Kingdom Powers"
Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [4]
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]
Burrowing 6 (4 mph) [6]

"Tentacles" Snare 8 (Feats: Tether, Chokehold, Reversible) (27) -- [30]
  • AE: "Tentacle/Fire Attack" Blast 9 (Feats: Variable- Fire or Piercing) (19)
  • AE: "Electric Shock" Damage 8 (8)
  • AE: Move Object 9 (Flaws: Limited to Ice) (18)

"Illusion Caster Jewel" (Flaws: Removable) [12]
Illusion (Visual and Auditory) 5 (15 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Blast +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Snare +9 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Electric Shock +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications (Early):
Responsibility (Queen Beryl's Will)
Power Loss (Illusion Jewel)- The Jewel (possessed only by a single D.D. Girl) is easily-broken- a simple melee attack with a hard enough object is enough to shatter it.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 11 (147)

-The D.D. Girls are a group of five villains who showed up in the penultimate episode of the first season, who for some reason had never shown up before. This was especially unusual because they beat the CRAP out of the Sailor Senshi, sneaking up on them, trapping them, and even killing Sailors Jupiter, Mercury, Venus & Mars, while the Senshi only ever managed to defeat them using suicide attacks. This makes them better than Jadeite and Zoisite by FAR, and about equal to Nephrite and Kunzite in some ways. Of course, they were fighting in Antarctica, using hit-and-run tactics, as well as dividing up the entire team in ways they couldn't handle (flying and stuff).

-Personality-wise, they were just your standard "Taunting Youma", but you can't deny their tactics. One-by-one, the Senshi were snagged, separated and killed, though each time, the Girls lost one of their own. Jupiter killed two with a suicide attack. Venus killed one with a point-blank Crescent Beam, the resulting explosion leading her to a screaming death. Mercury broke their Illusion Jewel, but was killed. Sailor Mars did the best, slugging it out with two of them, before vaporizing one. Then, in her last gasp of strength, she burned the other alive with an "I'm not finished yet". Just awesome, AWESOME stuff. And like I said... all the pain they'd inflicted beforehand, murdering the Sailors one by one? Mars paid that bitch back TENFOLD.

-The D.D. Girls are very powerful enemies, just above the equal of a Season One Senshi one-on-one, but they have all the classic attacks they're weak against. They can Snare from afar, zap with electricity, shoot fire (they create a magma storm once), manipulate ice for their own purposes (a giant "Ice Monster" thing traps Sailor Mars and makes a dome), burrow underground at great speeds, fly and even cast Illusions (though that's only the main one, and it can't fool Ami's Computer). Just lethal one-time foes for the Senshi, especially because there's five of them.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Re: Jab's Builds! (Zoisite! Kunzite! Sailors Mars, Jupiter & Venus!)

Post by Shock »

And how much time did you spend googling for DD girls? :mrgreen:
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

About six hours.

I mean, I found the above pic after two minutes, but...
Jabroniville

Queen Beryl

Post by Jabroniville »

QUEEN BERYL
Dub Name:
Queen Beryl
Role: The Big Bad (Initially), The Demon Queen
Hair Colour: Red
PL 12 (214)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 5 (+9)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 10 (+13)
Expertise (Dark Kingdom Ruler) 6 (+9)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 9 (+13)
Perception 5 (+8)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Benefit 3 (Queen of the Dark Kingdom), Equipment 10 (D-Point Base, Crystal Ball), Fascination (Intimidation), Improved Critical (Magic Bolt), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10, Ritualist, Taunt

Powers:
"Dark Kingdom Powers"
Blast 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (36) -- [45]
  • AE: Damage 12 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (32)
  • AE: "Form Giant Crystal" Strength-Damage +3 (6)
  • AE: Blast 10 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (28)
  • AE: Weaken Strength 8 (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Ranged) (20)
  • AE: Teleport 12 (Extras: Extended) (36)
  • AE: Move Object 12 (24)
  • AE: Illusion (Visuals & Audio) 8 (24)
  • AE: Deflect 11 (11)
  • AE: "Scrying" ESP (All Senses) 10 (Flaws: Limited to Crystal Balls) (30)
"Eternal Sleep" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled/Transformed & Unaware) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous +3) (Flaws: Distracting) [32]
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
Immunity (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Crystal Shard +9 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Blasts +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Blasts +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Weaken +10 (+8 Ranged Weaken, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +5, Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Queen Metalia)
Relationship (Prince Endymion)- Beryl loves the hypnotized Prince of Earth.
Enemy (Sailor Senshi)
Vulnerable (True Love)- Beryl, being a selfish, hateful being, cannot withstand pure, true love. Tuxedo Mask's red rose is the purified form of love most true, touching it will cause a massive Weaken Stamina effect. Especially if it hits her in the boobs.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 29 / Powers: 86 / Defenses: 22 (214)

Queen Beryl- A Disney Villainess in Anime:
-Queen Beryl was set up as the Big Bad of Sailor Moon, making it a very excellent case of hierarchies in super-villains (a hallmark of anime)- you've got the common Youma, the slightly-upgraded ones (The DD/Doom and Gloom Girls, The Seven Deadly Shadows and Tethys/Tidus), the Shitennou as main leaders, then Queen Beryl herself as the wicked queen whom they all serve. And then they introduce HER Boss, Queen Metalia! That let you know this was a REALLY bad-ass show. Beryl herself was every stereotype of the Dark Queen personified- every bit as manipulative, scary and evil as Maleficent or Snow White's mom, with a small backstory showing that she was an Earth woman who fell for Prince Endymion. Out of jealousy, she turned to Queen Metalia, and became her agent on Earth.

-Beryl ruled over the Four Heavenly Kings with an iron fist, dooming Jadeite to a horrifying Eternal Sleep for his repeated failures, and murdering Zoisite for disobeying a direct order when she tried to hunt down Tuxedo Mask. Obsessed with Endymion, she had Tuxedo Mask kidnapped and brainwashed into her slave, and she made a last stand against Sailor Moon. When Endymion's brainwashing was broken by his love for the heroine (when she whips out the Locket he gave her in the Moon Kingdom, millennia ago, the jig was up), Beryl went nuts, tried to impale them both with a giant crystal, and get stabbed fatally by a final Rose Strike to the cleavage (I HATE IT when that happens!). Apparently Mamo-chan's love for Usagi was so great that his roses could now crack and decay the bodies of evil beings. As Beryl died, she begged to be resurrected and given power by Queen Metalia, and it was given. Thus began the final battle of Season One.

Beryl Casts a Wide Shadow:
-Beryl was a terrific Big Bad in her own right, for all the reasons I mentioned above. People like her were needed, because the (often needlessly redundant) Big Bads of the Sailor Moon Universe tended to be the exact same: Big super-bad cosmic entities of random evil, devoted to destroying for destruction's sake, with little personality or character beyond "KILL EVERYTHING!" So you had Queen Beryl, with human jealousies and rages on top of being a supreme fearsome Queen. They never really topped this character OR her Generals, which is why the first season still comes across as the overwhelming best. Some villains in later seasons could be cool, the future Senshi could be cool, and the Senshi attacks all got improved over time, but the Shitennou & Beryl were the best group of villains by far. The Weird Sisters were silly-looking, the Witches 5 ultimately very generic, the Amazon Trio & Quartet were more goofy than great, etc., plus all their future villains either started looking the same after a point (Queen Nehellenia was just like Beryl in a lot of ways), or they got boring (Prince Dimande & company, in my opinion).

-It's curious that this villain interacted with the heroes so little- Beryl spent the entire show sitting in her throneroom, waving her hands over that Crystal Ball. Compare her to any of the other villains, who had TONS of conversations with the good guys, and you'll see it's rather odd. Hell, the only time she and Sailor Moon EVER MEET is in the very last episode of the first season, and then it's a very quick fight.

The Power of Beryl:
-Beryl is very powerful, but not overwhelmingly so. She's strong enough to kill one of her Shitennou (with their relatively-low Toughness saves) easily, but in a drawn-out fight, has her own weaknesses. She's only PL 8 on defense (one Rose basically has her dead to rights), but with high-powered Blasts, a lot of Magic, and that dreaded Eternal Sleep power. It's outside her normal array because it's Continuous, and she only used it once, so I wasn't gonna stat it, but what the hey? It makes her a super-heavyweight in points-cost, which fits such an elite villain. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Queen Metalia

Post by Jabroniville »

QUEEN METALIA
Dub Name:
The Negaforce
Role: The REAL Big Bad, The Woman Behind The Woman
Main Colour: Purple/Black Energy
PL 15 (332)
STRENGTH
-- STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 6 (+10)
Insight 5 (+10)
Intimidation 10 (+14, +21 Size)
Investigation 6 (+11)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 10 (+17)
Expertise (Dark Ruler) 5 (+12)
Perception 6 (+11)
Ranged Attack (Blasts) 6 (+12)

Advantages: 
Benefit 5 (Queen of the Dark Kingdom), Fascination (Intimidation), Improved Critical (Magic Bolt) 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Ritualist, Taunt

Powers:
"Energy Entity"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Insubstantial 3 [15]
Flight 4 (60 mph) [8]
Protection 12 [12]

"Dark Kingdom Powers"
"Line Blast" Damage 15 (Feats: Penetrating 10) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Line +3) (70) -- [76]
  • AE: Blast 16 (Feats: Penetrating 12, Increased Range 2) (46)
  • AE: "Burst Blast" Damage 15 (Feats: Penetrating 10) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (70)
  • AE: Teleport 15 (30)
  • AE: Telekinesis 15 (30)
  • AE: "Create Darkness" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Attack, Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (12)
  • AE: Healing 15 (30)
"Imbue Others With Dark Energy"
Growth 15 (Str & Sta +15, +15 Mass, +7 Intimidation, -7 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -15 Stealth) -- (84 feet) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0) [30]
Concealment (Visuals) 2 [4]
Mind Control 12 (Extras: Concentration Duration) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) [36]
Affliction 12 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed Personality) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous +3) (Flaws: Distracting) [48]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (0 Damage, DC 0)
When Possessing Beryl +6 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Blasts +15 Area (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Long-Range Blast +12 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 31)
Mind Control +0 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Imbue Dark Energy +12 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 20), Parry +0 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +8
"Possessing Beryl" Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +20, Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications:
Obsession (Ruling the Universe)
Enemy (The Sailors, Queen Serenity)

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 259 / Defenses: 17 (332)

-Queen Metalia was the FINAL Final Boss of the first Sailor Moon season- your everyday Eldritch Abomination that wants to rule the world or blow it up or whatever. She wasn't really any different from any other personality-less Destroyer of Worlds, so it's a good thing she had such great henchmen. Her only moves in the series were to slowly brainwash poor Mamo-chan into Prince Endymion, start blacking out the Sun, and finally possess a dying Queen Beryl into "Super Beryl", where she attempted to blast away Sailor Moon as Princess Serenity. Serenity was about to lose, with Beryl/Metalia ripping on her about how horrible the world was... until the memories and souls of her friends joined with Serenity, she broke the seal on the Silver Crystal, and caused a massive eruption that consumed both Queens, killing them once and for all. This is basically the most epic Season Finale in the history of TV.

-Metalia's a beast, plain and simple. Much more than a common super-villain, she's got an unbelievable amount of powers. She can Heal Beryl's fatal wounds with a touch, possess her, brainwash Mamoru, grow to huge size (both as energy and infusing Beryl with might), create massive darkness, general magic stuff, and create a Blast of energy so huge that it creates a hundred-foot tall ice plume in Antarctica. She's also Living Energy, with all the powers that entails (Immunities & Insubstantial, Flight). A true menace, one that can only be defeated by using the most powerful weapon in the universe.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

Beryl's monster face legit gave me nightmares bro.

Thought about you today as I watched beauty and the beast for the eighteen millionth time this week. What did you think of the live action version?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

From JetWolf's review that I found on her blog:
Then it’s the main event, and — proving yet again that maybe Usagi’s on to something with her fervent belief in them always being there — her friends kick death in the nuts to heed her call and lend their strength in what is probably the biggest Their Friendship Is Awesome moment in a season packed with them.

Berytalia’s been screeching about how the world is rotten and people suck and there’s no love, and Usagi’s all oh bitch no, my friends and I love each other so much even you killing them didn’t do shit, so sit your gigantic ass down, shut up and suck on some pink light.

I may be paraphrasing.

But for real, Usagi’s relentless optimism even in the face of a hundred-foot high screaming green ladydeathmonster, and then being completely right because her friends are just not going to be stopped by something stupid like dying is about the purest embodiment of this series. If you don’t get goosebumps every time those ghostly hands come to join Usagi then you need to go immerse yourself in a bathtub of puppies stat because you are dead inside.

Also, because the tiny details are important dammit, mad love for Rei’s hand joining Usagi’s first, and for Mako’s hand being noticeably bigger than everyone else’s.

And then Usagi dies.

Fuck the end of this season is so good.