Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Gamebook

Re: Jab's Builds! (Queens Beryl & Metalia! Ail & An! The Hell Tree!)

Post by Gamebook »

Skimming through this tour of the world of sailor magical girls makes me realize how inaccurate much of what I have picked up about Sailor Moon from other media is. For some reason I always thought Sailor Moon was a girl with a short black bob haircut who was far and away the most powerful and competent of the Sailors, to the point that all the other girls were really just her cheerleaders. I also thought that she was willingly a Sailor, indeed fanatically devoted to it, the Sailors forming a sort of corps of space defenders of the Earth. I didn't even realize that they were in school and were meant to have secret identities, I thought they were superheroes who all lived on the Moon. God knows where I got all that from, I must have filled in the gaping holes in my knowledge with all the other superhero media I fill my head with. Sailor Moon is one of those franchises that is so ubiquitous in superhero pop culture that you tend to hear about it even if you never make any attempt to seek it out.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

My notes for Episode #70:
Episode #70: The next arc begins its set-up, as Rubeus coldly throws Koan into near-certain death. And yay- it's another REI-focused one! We start off with poor Yuichiro carrying a comically-huge stack of boxes after Rei, begging her to slow down. Instead, she yells at his uselessness, then emasculates him ("you're a man, aren't you?")... shit, this is where I get it from, isn't it? Heh- there's a fun bit with Artemis getting jabbed for making fun of dateless Mina & Mako, which I remember all the way back when I read a guy's "What REALLY happened in the original Sailor Moon" website, because Mako flicking him on the nose was left out of the dub.

In any case, Koan is sent to kill Chibi-Usa, and she hangs out at the Hikawa Shrine- Rubeus toys with her affections, destroys her gift to him maliciously, and she's STILL all "he DOES love me!", comparing the "love" between them favorably to Rei picking on Yuichiro. There's a funny bit where Koan pretends to be a make-up saleswoman and gives this insane speech about how "faith in a man" is worthless and how only looks matter, and the girls just stare at her like she's crazy (and also a cute bit where they call her "ma'am", and it turns out that Japanese women have the same issue with "a term of respect that tends to be given to older women", as it translates pretty much perfectly- "... 'ma'am'?"). Also, nobody apparently recognizes her, despite having the EXACT SAME FACE AND HAIRCUT. REI YOU HAVE FOUGHT THIS WOMAN SEVERAL TIMES. YOU EVEN MET HER EARLIER THAT DAY.

In a bit I still remember, Koan attacks, and Yuichiro DIVES to save Rei (who's untransformed), taking a "Dark Fire" blast meant for her. Koan is like "that's stupid- she obviously doesn't love you, and she treats you like garbage!" Yuichiro can only state "it doesn't matter! I cannot stop the way I feel!", because by God, even these motherf***ing side characters will give you the feelz, and Mars gives her the Japanese equivalent of the greatest insult in the world ("Unforgivable! I can't forgive you!"), transforms, and they get into a brawl, showing one of the few times a Sailor uses her Special Attack without the animation (she uses it a couple of times in the fight). And Koan even gets a killer move- she Teleports, jumps behind Mars, and then elbows her in the face after springing off a tree! Mars takes a hellacious ass-kicking, and nearly dies saving Yuuichiro. She also gives a "Ship Sinking" that explains that she DOESN'T love him, but wants to honor his kindness and sincerity by rescuing him at great cost to herself.

Not only are there great animation and shots in this one (so much of Mars looking injured, but willful and defiant), but it's actually a relatively Usagi-lite episode, which you don't always see. And Koan just LOSES it when her plan not only fails, but Rubeus coldly declares that he never loved her, and her suicide attempt doesn't work. She just lashes out, slashing with her nails at everything, and blaming everyone else for her problems. But rather than react with disgust, Sailor Mars feels PITY for her, and actually takes a Sailor Jupiter knee meant for the villain (a HUGE shot, too). She promises that Koan can still make things right, and soon enough, Sailor Moon uses the "Moon Crystal Power Refresh" to turn her into an ordinary woman.

Great episode. And MAN, that music when Koan is lashing out... just awesome.
Jabroniville

Berthier

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

BERTHIER
Dub Name:
Bertie
Name Translation: Berthierite, an iron sulfide
Role: The Wallflower
Main Uniform Colour: Powder Blue
Hair Colour: White
PL 9 (161)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 4 (+9)
Expertise (Makeup Lady) 1 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+9)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 5 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+5)
Ranged Attack (Dark Water) 4 (+10)
Technology 2 (+7)

Advantages: 
Equipment 5 (Dark Crystal Earrings- Teleport 12), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Dark Water" Snare 8 Linked to Blast 6 (Extras: Sustained +2) (43) -- [46]
  • AE: Generic Energy Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: Environment 3 (Cold 2) (6)
  • AE: "Hypnosis" Affliction 5 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (10)
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
Morph (Any Female Humanoid) 2 [10]

Equipment:
"Dark Crystal Earrings" Teleport 12 (24)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Energy Blast +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Dark Water +10 (+8 Ranged Affliction & +6 Ranged Damage, DC 18 & 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (The Black Moon Family)
Reputation (Bookworm)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 64 / Defenses: 19 (161)

-"Bertie" (yeah, real intimidating name there, guys- though the original name is no scarier) was the "brain" of her team, generally spending her time talking quietly in a cutesy voice while wearing the closest thing possible to lingerie/swimwear, and used ice powers to make her an even BIGGER counterpoint to Sailor Mercury. But holy Hell... they REALLY turned her into Miss Fanservice- in one of her first appearances, she literally walks out of a Magic Mirror BOOBS FIRST, such are her proportions. And then her sexy little "Schoolmarm Dress" actually manages to be hotter than her Blue Swimsuit- even getting a panty-shot when the wind kicks up.

-When Berthier is undone in a chess match against Mercury (she cheats and freezes the girl whenever she loses a piece... but then Tuxedo Mask just cheats and shatters the ice), she attempts suicide after Calaveras & Petz cruelly diss her and call her a failure. However, a simple speech from Koan about how "humans possess a DEEP and ABIDING love!", she switches sides and is Purified. The best part about Berthier, aside from the Fanservice, is that her New Dub voice is done by the V.A. for Madeline Hatter in Ever After High, meaning we get to hear Maddie's high-pitched goofball voice throwing out lines like "Go to Hell!"

-Berthier's more costly than Koan by a little bit, and has a pretty bad-ass Snare (complete with Constricting qualities- basically a Blast Linked in that's Sustained so she can keep choking people) with some Hypnosis as a side-power, but is still no HUGE threat or anything.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Gamebook wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:50 pm Skimming through this tour of the world of sailor magical girls makes me realize how inaccurate much of what I have picked up about Sailor Moon from other media is. For some reason I always thought Sailor Moon was a girl with a short black bob haircut who was far and away the most powerful and competent of the Sailors, to the point that all the other girls were really just her cheerleaders. I also thought that she was willingly a Sailor, indeed fanatically devoted to it, the Sailors forming a sort of corps of space defenders of the Earth. I didn't even realize that they were in school and were meant to have secret identities, I thought they were superheroes who all lived on the Moon. God knows where I got all that from, I must have filled in the gaping holes in my knowledge with all the other superhero media I fill my head with. Sailor Moon is one of those franchises that is so ubiquitous in superhero pop culture that you tend to hear about it even if you never make any attempt to seek it out.
Hah- that's funny :). The one you're thinking of is probably Sailor Saturn: http://sailormoon.wikia.com/wiki/Sailor_Saturn

Owner of the most bad-ass move name of all time: "Death Reborn Revolution!"

But yeah, it's funny, because most of what you heard is quite inaccurate. Though by the end Usagi is pretty well accepting of her role in life (becoming Neo-Queen Serenity in the future), and there IS an undercurrent of Sci-Fi in the universe. Sailor Galaxia has recruited Sailors from across the galaxy, Luna & Artemis are aliens in the manga (from the planet Mau), etc.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Fun Fact: One of the theories out there about the origin of the term "Moe" (a term that means a "platonic interest in cute girls that somehow still seems spine-tinglingly creepy because the fans are probably lying about it") may come from Sailor Saturn, whose real name is Hotaru Tomoe. Sailor Moon was one of the big instigators of "cute anime", with the huge-eyed characters and an increasing focus on younger girls as time went on. Of course, nowadays a TON of anime is focused on "cute" stuff, with the girls getting younger, eyes getting larger, and (for some reason) the eyelids drooping at the edges until the characters looked like they had Down's Syndrome (I mean that literally). Why that's cute is beyond me, but it's totally a thing and a lot of non-shonen anime features it.
Jabroniville

Calaveras

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

CALAVERAS
Dub Name:
Avary
Name Translation: Calaverite, a gold telluride
Role: The Uninteresting One
Main Uniform Colour: Gold & Red
Hair Colour: Brown
PL 9 (138)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Deception 5 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Makeup Lady) 4 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Equipment 5 (Dark Crystal Earrings- Teleport 12), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Whip) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Seize Initiative, Ranged Attack 7, Taunt

Powers:
"Dark Beaut" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
Damage 9 (Feats: Reach 6) (15 points)

Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Dark Beaut +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 25 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 18 (138)

-Calaveras is a shining example of the weaknesses of the group in Sailor Moon R- she was just another vain, spoiled girl, with no major personality points separating her from the others. She doesn't really get up to much, and spends all her time hanging around Petz, forming a little duo that did everything together (in R, both these two and Sailors Venus & Jupiter were combined together to presumably save time- making it clear that the other characters were worthy of more focus to the writers). Calaveras is the cheapest of the Ayakashi Sisters, since her powers seem to come exclusively from her cool Whip, Dark Beaut- it's no major death-weapon, but she's accurate with it, and has the most Combat Advantages (and Defensive talent) of the Sisters. She uses it to counter-act the Venus Love-Me Chain.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Petz

Post by Jabroniville »

PETZ
Dub Name:
Prizma
Name Translation: Petzite, another mineral
Role: The Generic Villain
Main Uniform Colour: Dark Green
Hair Colour: Green
PL 9 (153)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Deception 6 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Investigation 6 (+8)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Makeup Lady) 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Ranged Attack (Dark Energy) 4 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Daze (Intimidation), Equipment 5 (Dark Crystal Earrings- Teleport 12), Improved Aim, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Taunt

Powers:
"Dark Thunder" Damage 9 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 6) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (26) -- [27]
  • AE: "Thunder Blast" Blast 8 (16)
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
"Invisible Shield" Force Field 3 [3]

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Thunder Blast +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Dark Thunder +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4 (+7 Force Field), Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications (Early):
Relationship (Sapphire)- Petz/Prizma loves the Prince.

Total: Abilities: 49 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 48 / Defenses: 17 (153)

-Petz is almost kinda-sorta the leader of the Ayakashi Sisters, being the bitchiest and most over-lordy of them all, but was never really more powerful except when she got a power-up to kill her "traitor" sisters (after they'd turned good). Paired up with Calaveras most of the time, she's one of the benefactors of a superior name in the dub- "Prizma" is MUCH more bad-ass than a name that sounds like a Yiddish insult. Only a few others were benefitted with this, namely Kunzite (to Malachite), Mamoru (The regal-sounding Darien) and Usagi (Serena, which is fitting thematically, though it makes searching for the "Moon Princess" a little bit more obvious with that kind of name).

-Prizma had a bit more characterization than Calaveras though, being in love with Saphir, who was introduced much later. They only briefly pair off near the end, with him sorta apologizing for breaking her heart, then going all "What is this human value known as friendship?". She cares for him when he's been injured by Wiseman, but he doesn't take her advice to be careful, and runs off to meet his doom. Paranoid because Rubeus thinks she's going to betray him like her sisters did, she nearly slaughters the Sailors. In the end, however, Calaveras, Koan & Berthier keep nearly sacrificing themselves to save the others, shocking her with their selflessness. She is quickly purified along with the others.

-Petz is pretty generic in combat- a simple Blaster, though she uses an Invisible Shield precisely once- in order to deflect the Burning Mandala attack. With the death weapon Rubeus gives her, she's easily upgraded to PL 12, just by virtue of sheer power.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Droids

Post by Jabroniville »

DROIDS
Dub Name:
Droids
Role: Villain of the Week, Summoned Mooks
PL 10 (82)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+8)
Close Combat (Chosen Attack) 2 (+13)
Deception 5 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +3

Complications (Early):
Responsibility (The Dark Kingdom)
Disabled (Mute)- Youma can often only shout out their own name. Others are quite chatty.
Vulnerable (Distractions)- Youma pretty much ONLY look at the last immediate thing to draw their attention. This makes them easily distracted, to the point of getting negatives to resist having their attention drawn.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 14 (82)

-Droids are the villains in the latter bit of Sailor Moon R- summoned by the Black Moon Clan. This is the point when the villains start getting REALLY outlandish, featuring oddities like "dark-skinned woman with coconuts on her boobs" and "creature who turns people into desserts". They are PL 10s now, owing to the heightened power of the Sailors. The Droids disintegrate real nice, too- they turn to powdered glass, then fall into a pile from the bottom-up, and their Forehead Crystals land atop the pile before losing color. Very cool.

EPISODE 61- PL 10 (129): "Spray Acid" Blast 6 (Secondary Effect) & Weaken Toughness 6 (Ranged, Affects Objects), Accurate 8, AE: "Powder Puff" Concealment (Cloud), "Self-Driving Board" Speed 2 & Slithering (Easily Removable) [48]
-This Droid is a living "Perfume Bottle", spraying acid. She does really well, until Tuxedo Mask deflects the spray into her FACE- the results erase her features comlpetely. She is vaporized by Sailor Moon while trying to draw eyes back into her face.

EPISODE 62- PL 10 (134): Flight 4, Affliction (Snare + Paralyzed) 8 (Accurate 6), Environment 3 (Cold 2) [52]
-This Droid creates extraordinary cold, and requires Sailor Mercury to give up her dream scholastic career and bail out her friends.

EPISODE 63- PL 10 (110): Strength +1, Fighting +1, Improved Pin, Improved Trip, "Dumbell Lariat" Blast 8 (Accurate 6) [28]
-A pallette-swap of female pro wrestler Bull Nakano, this Droid is a heavy-duty ass-kicker, able to easily beat up Rei's grandpa, and puts a hurting on HER when she takes some shots for him. The brute actually stomps on her repeatedly afterwards, too- just landing stomp after stomp.

EPISODE 64- PL 10 (118): Environment 10 (Impede Movement 2, Light), "Shock-Stick Drumsticks" Damage 8 (Easily Removable) [35]
-This one uses shock-sticks, and creates a massive lightning storm that terrifies the thunder-phobic Sailor Moon.

EPISODE 65- PL 10 (126): Snare 9 (Multiattack, Accurate 5), Hand Weapons +3, Permeate Movement [44]
-This chatty character is wiped otu by Sailor Moon right after she Snares everybody else.

EPISODE 66- PL 10 (104): Banana Sword +3, Avocado Grenades +7 Area [22]
-A goofy Hawaiian girl stereotype, complete with coconut bra. I've remembered this one since I was a teen for some reason. It actually engages in a swordfight with Tuxedo Mask for a period of time, too.

EPISODE 69- PL 10 (186): Weaken All Abilities 8 (Broad, Progressive, Limited to While Controlling), AE: Unicorn Horn Swing +3, AE: Sleep 8 (Cone), Flight 4, Mind Control 8 (Possession) [74]
-An exceptionally powerful Droid, this one doesn't fight too much, but manages to possess Usagi and put her into a Permanent Sleep. Only True Love's Kiss can save the day- Tuxedo Mask does the honors, but because he's pretending not to love Sailor Moon anymore, he pretends like it means nothing. Even though SHE IS LITERALLY FLOATING IN THE AIR WITH LIGHTS SURROUNDING HER when he kisses her.

EPISODE 75- PL 12 (114): Flight 4, "Scythe" Shapeable Area Damage 9, Scythe +3, Protection 5 [32]
-Called "The Grim Man" in the Original Dub, this Reaper-looking fellow invades Chibi-Usa's mind. He is ridiculously powerful, as a construct of Chibi-Usa's afflicted mind- only when Sailor Moon is recognized as a friend does she gain a magical light that lets her easily smack the villain away.

EPISODE 76- PL 10 (153): Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Defenseless/Transformed to Sugar-Bodied Cake-Thing) (Ranged, Cumulative, Accurate 5) Linked to Weaken Toughness 8 (Ranged, Progressive), AE: Create Sweets 1 (Precise, Innate) [71]
-One of the silliest villains, "Marzipan" was also one of the DEADLIEST, as her power lets her transform the Sailors into super-delecate "sugar bodies"- cakes form around their midsections, but their entire BODIES start transforming, meaning that the slightest touch could cause them to crumble. Only a weakness against Sailor Mercury's "Shine Aqua Illusion" technique can stop her.

EPISODE 77- PL 9 (112): Ring Blast 8 (Accurate 4, Homing 2, Multiattack) [30]
-A pretty weak Droid, this one shoots out Rings, but they're deftly avoided by the Sailors, and they whup her right quick.

EPISODE 78- PL 10 (112): Needle Blasts 8 (Multiattack, Accurate 6) [30]
-This one fires needles at people, but was mostly a throwaway to Sailor Venus's nursing antics.

EPISODE 79- PL 10 (166): "Constricting Snares" Snare 8 (Multiattack) Linked to Blast 5 (Multiattack, Secondary Effect) (Accurate 6), Leaping +2, Mind Control 4 (Area- 500 feet +5, Limited to Animals, Touch Range -2) [84]
-This Droid controls animals and whips out constricting snares. The Sailors successfully counters its attacks, but Sailor Moon overly-congratulates Mercury for her skills, distracting them fort he counter-attack.

EPISODE 80- PL 10 (118): Invisible Blast 8 (Accurate 6, Subtle 2) & Illusion (Visuals) 6 [36]
-This one can manipulate people into thinking that Ami cheated on her test thanks to fake scores and stuff.

EPISODE 81- PL 10 (123): Flight 3, Elongation 2, Claws +2, Permeate, 30ft. Burst Blast 9, AE: Blast 8 (Accurate 6), AE: Mind Control 5 (60ft. Area +2, Touch Range -2) [41]
-These two Droids were actually full Black Moon Clan members in the original manga, but were still one-offed. The anime makes them mere Droid goons. When they beat on the Sailors and nearly kill Chibi-Usa's "dearest friend" (who we'd met five minutes before), Chibi-Usa sends out a massive energy burst that knocks them for a mile. They try to "phase" through the ground, but Jupiter blows away their hiding place. Technically their blasts are in Cubes, but that's basically like a Burst to me, so it costs the same.

EPISODE 82- PL 11 (110): Movement (Env. Adaptation- Space/Time Corridor), Morph 2, "Reverses Time's Passage" Deflect 16 [28]
-The final Droid seen in the series specializes in reversing attacks, and can move freely within the tricky Space/Time Corridor. The Sailors are only able to defeat her after timing a "Sailor Planet Attack" at the right moment, so she can't deflect it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Rubeus

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

CRIMSON RUBEUS
Dub Name:
Rubeus
Name Translation: Ruby, a red mineral
Role: The Generic Boss
Main Uniform Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Red
PL 10 (192)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Close Attack (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 5 (+9, +11 Attractive)
Persuasion 4 (+8, +10 Attractive)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 5 (+8)
Expertise (History) 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Assessment, Attractive, Defensive Roll, Equipment 15 (Big Spaceship, Dark Crystal Earrings- Teleport 12), Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Taunt

Powers:
"Crimson Energy" Blast 10 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Multiattack) (36) -- [40]
  • AE: Move Object 10 (20)
  • AE: "Gravity Well" Move Object 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cylinder) (Flaws: Limited to Resisting Movement) (16)
  • AE: "Crimson Beam" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (27)
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
Morph (Any Male Humanoid) 2 [10]

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Crimson Energy +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Area Beam +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Gravity Well +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications (Early):
Responsibility (The Black Moon Clan)- Rubeus has been put in charge of finding and killing "The Rabbit" (Chibi-Usa), and find the Legendary Silver Crystal. He apparently defers to Prince Dimande (they interact little), and takes the advice of Wiseman seriously.
Motivation (Power)
Rivalry ("Esmeraude, you bitch")- Rubeus has his very own "Zoisite", with the disrespectful, smart-assed Esmeraude coming in to taunt him frequently. Eventually, she gives him one last "up yours" by teleporting in as his ship blows up around him for one last bout of snarking.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 30 / Powers: 58 / Defenses: 20 (192)

-Rubeus was about as unsympathetic as you can get. He was hunting a five-year old girl (intending to KILL HER), blatantly used the Four Spectre Sisters as a means to that end, convinced a couple of them to utilize suicide attacks to get his way, and frequently made false romantic overtures in order to better control Koan. He was the initial "Big Bad" of Sailor Moon R, leading the Sisters around with Wiseman as the Of Course He'll Betray Them Vizier-type, but after twenty or so episodes, he was completely replaced by his very own Zoisite- Esmeraude left him trapped on his self-destructing Spaceship, killing him.

-He didn't really do too much on his own- just manipulated the girls into doing his dirty work. Generally speaking, he just wandered around with his jacket slung over his shoulder like some "1950s Cool Guy". Not a lot of depth to this character, but he was decent enough, and rather powerful. He stalemated Tuxedo Mask easily, and has enough Extras and Advantages to him to keep the entire Senshi occupied in their PL 9 status for a good while- a +10 Blast with Multiattack is TERRIFYING to these girls. Never mind that freaking Spaceship, which was packing a Gravity Well so strong that Sailor Moon had to basically go into "Aunt May Mode", and Chibi-Usa had to nearly sacrifice herself too.

My review of Rubeus's Final Episode:
Episode #74: Rubeus's plan- lure Sailor Moon into rescuing her friends, then slowly kill her. Actual dialogue when Esmeraude leaves: "Esmerald, you bitch", translated to "Watch me, woman". Doing Dubs with Subtitles beneath them is the BEST! There's a nice moment where Usagi comes to terms with her newfound maturity, as instead of crying and wailing about "I want to go home!" like her "old self" would have done, she's now forced to suck up her tears and do things on her own- she sneaks out without her remaining allies knowing, so she can't put them in danger. Then CHIBI-USA runs away on her own- for a guy with a Danger Sense about women being in trouble, Mamoru sure sucks at keeping an eye on them.

Sailor Moon & Chibi-Usa end up on the Nemesis Starship, where Rubeus slowly toys with Usagi and taunts her. However, she actually manages to force herself up from a gravity well ("this ship amplifies my powers" he says), and in a nice touch from the animations, her ponytails are clearly being pulled straight downwards all the while. Sailor Moon resisting the pull of the gravity well, while her friends sit crucified and helpless, is one of those bad-ass moments you only get from this show. And then CHIBI-USA pulls off the heroics, destroying Rubeus's Power Amplifier, despite its electric charge!

All this fighting causes Rubeus to get blasted by Moon Princess Halation, and then his ship starts falling apart. He's determined to go down fighting the lot of them, but he's caught in fire, they "Sailor Teleport" away, and he's taunted one last time by Esmerald, who gleefully leaves him to die on the exploding spaceship. Esmerald is thus the new "General", with Prince Dimande saying so in the finale.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Queen Metalia! Ail & An! The Hell Tree! Spectre Sisters!)

Post by Spectrum »

Came across this interesting piece
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hah- I don't think I made that connection before, as most Ice Ladies have the same general theme (check Frosta from She-Ra)- blue & white are always great colors, and just show "Ice Powers" the best, ya know?

But yeah, looking at that braid makes it pretty amusing. I wonder if the girl who designed Elsa's eventual look was a Sailor Moon fan? She's definitely the right age.

Berthier rocks the cleavage HARD with her onesie, but I gotta put my hormones in check and vote for Elsa's elegant, stylish look.
Jabroniville

Esmeraude

Post by Jabroniville »

ESMERAUDE
Dub Name:
Emerald
Name Translation: Emerald, a famously-green emerald
Role: Evil Lady
Hair Colour: Bright Green
PL 10 (150)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Attack (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 5 (+7)
Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Vehicles 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Dark Crystal Earrings- Teleport 12), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Taunt

Powers:
"Green Energy" Blast 10 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Multiattack) (36) -- [37]
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Green Energy +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications (Early):
Responsibility (The Black Moon Clan)- Esmeraude is eventually put in charge of finding and killing "The Rabbit" (Chibi-Usa), and find the Legendary Silver Crystal.
Relationship (Prince Dimande)- Esmeraude is desperately in love with Prince Demande, and will do anything (ANYTHING) to please him.
Motivation (Power)
Rivalry (Rubeus)- Esmeraude is angling for Rubeus's job, and spends Rubeus's last moments making fun of him, then abandoning him to die on his spaceship.
Responsibility (Arrogance)- Esmeraude thinks VERY highly of herself, full of pride and beaming with arrogance. She doesn't suffer insults gladly, and cannot resist taking time to brag.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 19 (150)

-Esmeraude debuted as Rubeus's own "Zoisite" (aka the Aggressively-Ambitious Rival Villain), sporting a noblewoman's laugh (a common anime trope where a woman hides her mouth and does an outrageous, loud "WOH-HO-HO-HO-HO!" laugh, because they find that hilarious I guess) and a pretty great design- terrific use of various shades of green here. Her name comes from the original French word for "emerald", but sounds like "Esmerald" in the New Dub (the Original just used "Emerald"). Once Rubeus was killed, she acted as a goofy villain, at one point getting caught up in her Evil Dessert Shop and stuffing her face like a pig. When confronted by the Sailors one time, she made derogatory comments about the "flat chests and no hips" of the girls, drawing some epic sass-mouth from Sailor Jupiter, who made fun of her for being an "old lady!".

-The largest part of Esmeraude's character came from her undying love for Prince Dimande. Since he barely seemed to tolerate her presence, and mostly focused on trying to rape Sailor Moon (seriously), Esmeraude was beside herself. She once broke up Dimande's kidnapping attempt of our heroine, basically joking to Saphir that she did it (all "Why would *I* do a thing like THAT!" with a big smile) when he confronted her about it. Eventually, though, she grew so obsessive that she made a deal with Wiseman for "greater power". In a neat character moment, she admitted that she didn't trust the old man, but STILL went for the lure, such was her desperation.

-Naturally, Wiseman was being a bastard, and she was thus transformed into a giant Dragon (the only real dragon seen in the show, in fact). Attacking the stronghold palace in Crystal Tokyo (in the future), the Dragon is nearly-unstoppable thanks to its power and Regenerative capabilities (it shrugs off most of the Sailors's attacks). Ultimately, however, "Moon Princess Halation" undoes her, vaporizing the creature into the largest "glass crystals slowly sprinkling down" effect ever seen. Esmeraude is thus cast into "the black void", screaming as she's never seen again. She was pretty one-note as a "Fawning, Vain Female Villain", but her enormous arrogance awas always amusing.

-Esmeraude actually doesn't do much fighting at all, so statting her is tricky.

ESMERAUDE- DRAGON FORM
Dub Name:
Emerald
Name Translation: Emerald, a famously-green emerald
Role: Evil Lady
Hair Colour: Bright Green
PL 12 (166)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 15 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Attack (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Intimidation 0 (+3, +9 Size)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 5 (+7)
Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Vehicles 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Dark Crystal Earrings- Teleport 12), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Taunt

Powers:
"Fire Breath" Blast 14 (Feats: Penetrating 10) (38) -- [39]
  • AE: "Fire Wave" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (36)
Flight 7 (250 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [7]
Growth 12 (Str & Sta +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (60 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
Regeneration 10 [10]

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Fire Breath +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Fire Wave +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +15, Fortitude +15, Will +6

Complications (Early):
Responsibility (The Black Moon Clan)- Esmeraude is eventually put in charge of finding and killing "The Rabbit" (Chibi-Usa), and find the Legendary Silver Crystal.
Relationship (Prince Dimande)- Esmeraude is desperately in love with Prince Demande, and will do anything (ANYTHING) to please him.
Motivation (Power)
Rivalry (Rubeus)- Esmeraude is angling for Rubeus's job, and spends Rubeus's last moments making fun of him, then abandoning him to die on his spaceship.
Responsibility (Arrogance)- Esmeraude thinks VERY highly of herself, full of pride and beaming with arrogance. She doesn't suffer insults gladly, and cannot resist taking time to brag.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 78 / Defenses: 19 (166)

-Esmeraude the Dragon is a PL 12 menace who provides a deadly adversary to the Low-Toughness Sailors, but is undone by Sailor Moon's key attack nonetheless.

Episode #84: With Sailor Moon returned, we find out what happened to the Silver Crystal in the future- it disappeared once Chibi-Usa touched it. Her guilt over this is used by the Wiseman to allow him to capture her (Tuxedo Mask the GIANT IDIOT prevents the girls from chasing after the girl when she runs away out of guilt- "as long as she stays in the palace, she will be safe!" Naturally, she leaves the palace). Esmeraude, meanwhile, gets pissy over Dimande's fawning over Sailor Moon, and so makes a deal with Wiseman for greater power. He lures her with promises of her becoming "Queen Esmeraude", but the full power of the Malefic Black Crystal overwhelms her, transforming her into Wiseman's puppet (she wisely doesn't trust the old man, but STILL goes for this lure, such is her love for Dimande). This ends up with her transformed into a giant Dragon, which immediately attacks the barrier around the palace.

The Sailors are able to wear it down with their attacks (despite some Regeneration), but using the King's advice, they strike its Black Crystal crown (with Tuxedo Mask's precise Rose), then Moon Princess Halation vaporizes the creature in that cool "glass crystals slowly sprinkling down" effect on a huge scale. And so Esmeraude dies, disappearing and ending up cast into "the black void", never to be seen again. Too bad in a way- she was your typical "Fawning, Vain Female Henchwoman" seen so often this season, but her sheer arrogance was always a bit amusing.

With her demise, Wiseman coldly states that "No matter. My objective was never victory for the Black Moon Clan. Eventually, Saphir & Dimande will also give their lives for my cause" And a wicked woman's cackling is heard as we end the episode...
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I haven't mentioned Ever After High on here in forever, but I figured I'd share the fact that the line is basically dead as a doornail right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb06vwKqXUk. Hence the lack of updates or me gushing about something silly in it :). God knows I mainly posted all those builds to amuse myself and rant about some random thing that I liked (hence all the PMs about "I read your thread all the time- except for the bits about the dolls" :)), but it's a bit sad that Mattel's basically put the ax on it. And really in one of those sideways business manners, where they deny, deny, deny that it's going away until they suddenly show up and ToyFair or something with ZERO product about it, and it disappears from toy shelves.

Kind of sad, but really to be expected- they were releasing less and less stuff, had basically canceled the webisodes last year (in the old-fashioned way of "suddenly the animation studio isn't getting contracted for any more work"), and sales hadn't been particularly strong. And Monster High is even dropping in popularity- their "reboot" apparently hasn't gone over as well, and the fad for those has lessened. Who knows if all this stuff will even be around in a couple of years?

Hopefully their DC SuperHero Girls line does well enough to pick up the slack. I'd be more upset about it, but my own personal interest in it somewhat dwindled with the last handful of Webisodes, and I've stopped caring as much about the characters. Only my Disney, Sailor Moon & Wicked fandoms remain eternal, I guess :).
Jabroniville

Saphir

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

SAPHIR
Dub Name:
Sapphire
Name Translation: Sapphire, a blue/green mineral
Role: The Voice of Reason Who Dies
Main Uniform Colour: Blue & White
Hair Colour: Blue
PL 10 (153)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 4 (+8)
Insight 6 (+10)
Investigation 3 (+7)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 6 (+14)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+16)
Expertise (History) 2 (+10)
Perception 3 (+7)
Technology 8 (+16)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Artificer, Equipment 5 (Dark Crystal Earrings- Teleport 12), Inventor, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Blue Energy" Blast 10 (20) -- [22]
  • AE: Force Field 7 (7)
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blue Energy +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5 (Force Field +12), Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications (Early):
Responsibility (The Black Moon Clan)
Relationship (Prince Dimande)- Saphir is very devoted to his brother, and wishes he's quit being so protective, and so obsessive about their Clan.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 10 (153)

-A lot of people found Saphir to be a very plain design, but honestly... that's kind of what I like about him. In a show that tended towards garish costumes and bright colors, here was this guy in plain white slacks with a blue dress-shirt with some small diamonds on it. This very stark appearance paired with the great "Color Theory" of blue & white (which compliment each other VERY well) makes him one of my favorite designs on the show.

-Saphir is Prince Dimande's brother, and a classic "Voice of Reason" character. A genius, he is building a portal between Nemesis and Earth, and instumental to the plans of his brother, and the Vizier, Wiseman. However, Saphir is a good enough judge of character that he doesn't trust Wiseman, and thinks his brother needs to become his own man and drop the senseless feud with Crystal Tokyo. Repeatedly, we see him in the show scolding Esmeraude and trying to get his brother to see reason- but the obsessed, protective Dimande won't listen, and keeps following Wiseman's advice.

-Eventually, Saphir discovers Wiseman's plot while he... openly brags about how he'll betray and kill all of his allies (way to roll for Perception, dude...). He rushes to Earth, but gets badly beaten as a result when Wiseman spots him. He confers with the Four Spectre Sisters, confessing his errors in breaking Petz's heart way back when, but refuses to cower and hide- he instead goes to find his brother and tell him the whole story, and damn the consequences. In a great bit, he is astonished and disgusted at the Sailors for IMMEDIATELY believing him and aiding his journey- "Are you people insane! This could have easily been a trap!" The Sailors just shrug and are like "Yeah, but we just trust people, even when they're our enemies" with a smile. He is AGHAST at this.

-Tragically, the injured Saphir is hit once more when Prince Dimande confronts his "traitorous" sibling, and finally executed by Wiseman. "I have spared you the pain of having to execute your own brother!" Dimande spends the rest of the series in a Post-Traumatic daze.

-Saphir is a bit tricky to stat out, as the character does not appear to be a battlefield operative at all. He's never even seen throwing out an Energy Blast! He can, however, use an impressive Force Field, for all the good it does him- he's no match for Wiseman. Curiously, he's also a Technical Genius- he's apparently building a massive portal between Nemesis and Earth, and creates the Malefic Black Crystal somehow. These massive things (the Black Crystal opposes the SILVER Crystal!) take him a staggering amount of time, but put a point on his incredible genius. Unfortunately, he does all this stuff off-camera, so we never see what he's actually up to- he just kind of pops in and gives status reports, while going "Are you SURE I should be doing this?"

-Saphir's job as the one villain who isn't a giant idiot makes it clear that he's gonna get murdered, but does point to his high Insight score.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

It's amusing how the Black Moon Clan are, for the most part, the same PL as the monsters they summon, since most of them aren't really major battlefield players. (Though they are all fightable bosses in the SNES R beat 'em up game, at least.)