Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Dr. Spectrums! Amphibian! Power Princess!)

Post by Ken »

The reason the Squadron didn't get their "Wonder Woman" until 1982 is because there weren't that many Squadron stories, and the things that happened with the JLA over the years.

In 1969, Wonder Woman lost her powers, part of a bizarre attempt to revamp her. And she left the League (JLA #69, Feb. 1969).

Avengers #69, introducing the Squadron Sinister was in late (Oct.) 1969.
Avengers #85, the Squadron Supreme's first appearance was February 1971.

The Squadron's next appearance was in Avengers 141-144,147-148 published between November 1975 and June 1976. (145-146 were a fill-in story).

The re-powered Wonder Woman didn't rejoin the League until March 1976 (#178), right in the middle of the Avengers story which actually ran long due to the fill-in. (Any appearances of the traditional Wonder Woman in JLA during that 7 year time were either reprints or her Earth-Two counterpart)

The Squadron didn't appeaa again until Defenders #112 in 1982.

Steve Trevor had been killed in 1969, as part of that revamp. When they restored Wonder Woman to her normal, they introduced Steve Howard as a replacement for Trevor. Lyle Waggoner appearing as Trevor on TV insured that Steve Howard would be re-replaced by Steve Trevor. But Steve Howard is why Mr. Shelton's first name was Howard.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: she quickly fell into the arms of the Hyperion of another world- this made her realize that she truly loved the original, and they soon grew closer thanks to her prodding.
In all fairness, she genuinely believed the Hyperion of the other world was the Hyperion she always knew, so in her head, she just fell for the original.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Happy America Day, everyone! Or, you know, whatever you call it :). I assume this place will be dead as balls like it normally is on holidays, so I might not blast out a dozen builds out of frustration at "AGH NOBODY IS READING" like I normally would :). At least it'll be better than your weird Thanksgiving, where basically everyone in America disappears off the internet for three days.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:21 pm Happy America Day, everyone! Or, you know, whatever you call it :). I assume this place will be dead as balls like it normally is on holidays, so I might not blast out a dozen builds out of frustration at "AGH NOBODY IS READING" like I normally would :). At least it'll be better than your weird Thanksgiving, where basically everyone in America disappears off the internet for three days.
While I love the 4th, please blast away haha. Oh happy late Canada day right??
Spam

Post by Spam »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:21 pm At least it'll be better than your weird Thanksgiving, where basically everyone in America disappears off the internet for three days.
Hey, we're busy EATING, ok? We need to take three days to stuff ourselves so we can complain about how fat we are at Christmas.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Well, I made the requisite appearance at my cousin's, talked to the few people I felt like I should, and quietly slipped out to check on my mum, who didn't go because she's been sick. So, yeah...

And happy late Dominion Day!!!

Jabroniville

Foxfire

Post by Jabroniville »

FOXFIRE (Olivia Underwood)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Bob Hall
First Appearance: Squadron Supreme #5 (Jan. 1986)
Role: The Bad Girl, The Repentant Villainess
Alternate Company Equivalent Of: Nobody Specific
Fate: Stabbed in the back by Mink after murdering Nighthawk
Group Affiliations: The Alliance of Evil, The Squadron Supreme, The Redeemers
PL 10 (137)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Athletics 3 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 6 (+7)
Expertise (Streetwise) 5 (+5)
Insight 4 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Perception 3 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (D-Blasts) 4 (+9)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Bio-Blasts), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
"Dry-Rot Energy"
"Disintegration Wave" Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Affects Objects) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area, Penetrating) (60) -- [64]
  • AE: "Disintegration Blast" Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Objects) Linked to Blast 10 (Extras: Penetrating) (60)
  • AE: "Weaken Inner Workings" Weaken Stamina 12 Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Penetrating) (32)
  • AE: "Bioluminescence" Dazzle Vision 10 (20)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Bio-Blast +9 (+10 Ranged Damage & Weaken, DC 25 & 20)
Disintegration Wave +10 Area (+10 Damage & Weaken, DC 25 & 20)
Iniitative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Vulnerable (Mind Control)- The Squadron Supreme have proven themselves very easy to take over mentally for some reason, as it has happened several times. This may be random chance, or an actual weakness.
Power Loss (Dry-Rot)- Foxfire's power does not work on Darkforce-related energy, such as Quagmire's otherworldly goop.
Responsibility (B-Modded Villain)- Having been Behavior Modified by the Squadron, the ex-Institute of Evil members are unable to break the law for any reason, betray any Squadron member for ANY reason, etc. Their minds are no longer truly their own. Foxfire herself is a complex issue- she followed the Institute loyally, but fell in love with Dr. Spectrum, and finds herself unwilling to attack him and his allies any longer.
Responsibility (The Utopia Program)- The Squadron has founded a program designed to cure all the world's ills- Crime, Poverty, Disease, War... even Death itself. Some members are more dedicated than others, but they all strive to help.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 64 / Defenses: 12 (137)

-Out of the entire Squadron cast, most of them avoid looking like they're straight out of the 1980s. Standard super-hero costumes are generally okay through the ages as long as you don't go too obvious with the interests of the era (Dazzler's disco outfit, Rogue's punker gear from the '80s, '90s guys and their guns & spikes), so the generic hero uniforms in the series are safe. Foxfire is not one of these. With her bright blonde hair done in a Grace Jones-short-cut style, torn-up leggings, weird makeup and general skin-showing, she plants this series VERY much in the 1980s. She had an interesting little story going, where she hooked up with Doctor Spectrum once she'd been B-Modded, and kept her attraction once she'd been "cured" of it. Turns out that sex really DOES equal redemption! Who knew?

-She avoided fighting in the Final Battle, not wanting to fight against her lover, but when Spectrum was downed, she did one of the worst things in the entire series- she waltzed up to teammate Nighthawk and "Dry-Rotted" the inside of his heart, killing him instantly. Explaining casually that Nighthawk would have "felt very little pain", she was stabbed in the back by Mink, dying hours later in surgery- yet another corpse in the series.

-Foxfire's a one-trick pony and a Glass Cannon, but boy, what a trick. She can collapse an entire building using a Shapeable variant of her "Dry-Rot" over several rounds (stated to be a few minutes), and can kill someone just by touching them. Weaken Toughness Linked to Blast adds up, but she's still under the standard costs of a PL 10 thanks to her limitations elsewhere (Mink is NOT as ass-kicker, yet killed her with one shot, thanks to the standard "Alternate Universes mean people die easier" trope active throughout all of comics). And yes, her Dry-Rot won't work on Quagmire's Darkforce. She tried it and it didn't do anything.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Giggity giggity giggity

Post by Jabroniville »

QUAGMIRE (Jerome Meyers)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Bob Hall
First Appearance: Squadron Supreme #4 (Dec. 1985)
Role: The Hedonist, Punker
Alternate Company Equivalent Of: Nobody Specific
Fate: Suffocated by Quagmire's otherworldly black-goo when it started gushing from his comatose body
Group Affiliations: The Alliance of Evil, The Squadron Supreme
PL 10 (170)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 3 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+6)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Tar) 2 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Vehicles 3 (+3)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Improved Critical (Snare), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Startle

Powers:
"Otherworldly Tar-Like Darkforce"
"Tar Snare" Affliction 10 (Strength or Sleight of Hand; Hindered, Vulnerable, Visual Impaired & Dazed/Immobile, Prone, Visual Disabled & Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition +3, Cumulative, Progressive +2, Contagious) (Flaws: Limited to One Sense) (80) -- [85]
  • AE: "Tar Storm" Affliction 10 (Strength or Sleight of Hand; Hindered, Vulnerable & Dazed, Visual Impaired /Immobile, Prone, Visual Disabled & Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Extra Condition +3, Cumulative, Progressive +2, Contagious) (Flaws: Limited to One Sense) (80)
  • AE: "Tar Whips" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20)
  • AE: "Tar Blast" Blast 10 (20)
  • AE: "Sticky Fingers" Movement (Wall-Crawling) (2)
  • AE: "Multiple Tendrils" Extra Limbs 4 (4)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Snare +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Tar Storm +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Tar Whips +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Tar Blast +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications: 
Vulnerable (Mind Control)- The Squadron Supreme have proven themselves very easy to take over mentally for some reason, as it has happened several times. This may be random chance, or an actual weakness.
Responsibility (B-Modded Villain)- Having been Behavior Modified by the Squadron, the ex-Institute of Evil members are unable to break the law for any reason, betray any Squadron member for ANY reason, etc. Their minds are no longer truly their own..
Responsibility (The Utopia Program)- The Squadron has founded a program designed to cure all the world's ills- Crime, Poverty, Disease, War... even Death itself. Some members are more dedicated than others, but they all strive to help.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 85 / Defenses: 13 (170)

-Alongside Foxfire, Quagmire is the most recognizably "80s" character in Squadron Supreme. A big hairy guy with punker ("I hate punkers" as the mighty Casey Jones once said) makeup and hair, it's pretty hard to imagine him outside his element without an image change. Humorously, his name at one time was conceivably cool and fitting, but of course now would draw immediate comparisons to the most popular side-character of Family Guy- the vulgar, sex-obsessed rapist Glen Quagmire, and thus he'll probably never be used again except as a joke.

-Quagmire's lot in the series was to be B-Modded into servitude, but lack the social graces anyways, so he still acted like a horn-dog punk, drawing the ire of Blue Eagle (Dr. Spectrum confessed he was starting to like the guy, though). However, he was shown to be truly heroic anyways, as he nearly suffocated on the nerve-gas agents used on the Pacifier Pellets in a factory explosion, as he pulled dozens of men to safety by himself. Trapped in a coma, he began leaking the same goo-energy he wielded from his NOSE, creating a massive problem for the team, and killing Dr. Decibel. With his life support plug removed, he vanished, alongside all his goo, where he reappeared in the Marvel Universe proper to harrass Quasar (in another Gruenwald book) a couple of times, but has not appeared since the mid-1990s.

-Quagmire is fairly one-sided, but that is one REMARKABLE Snare. It's literally FOUR different Affliction effects, all hitting simultaneously- he goes across the Snare-type ones (Vulnerable & Hindered lines), Dazzles visuals by obscuring people's sight, AND it Suffocates people, leaving them Incapacitated at the end. And that's NOT ALL! He uses it at Range, makes in Cumulative (building up over time), THEN makes it Progressive (the Snare gets worse as you struggle with it, as well as the Suffocation), and THEN it's Contagious (anyone touching you will also get stuck). High physical Abilities to go along with the best Snare effect I've ever seen in comics to make Quagmire a FEARSOME opponent. He's still only PL 7.5 on defense, though, so you've got a better chance of stopping him than most guys with incredibly-expensive powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

So Quagmire stole Lady Lark's voice, too, eh?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:36 pm So Quagmire stole Lady Lark's voice, too, eh?
Please wait at least five minutes after posting to note stuff like that :)
Ken

Post by Ken »

In context, Quagmire was sort of the Sinistro analog. He was stated to be an enemy of Dr. Spectrum's and his power was kind of the opposite of Spectrum's as well. Solid instead of energy, dark instead of light, hard to shape into anything specific instead of Spectrum's fairly fine control.

It's like Tom Thumb's foe "Iron Butterfly" (seen in ONE flashback panel) was certainly an analog of the Bug-Eyed Bandit, even though we learned little of him.

drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Does anyone know the Avengers issue where Tom Thumb is flying around in his little saucer thing and spraying some heroine with a thick white goop?
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Arcanna

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh, MAMA.

ARCANNA (Arcanna Jones)
Created By:
J.M. DeMatteis & Don Perlin
First Appearance: The Defenders #112 (Oct. 1982)
Role: The Mage, Team Mom
Alternate Company Equivalent Of: Zatanna (ordinary fishnet-wearing babealicious magician)
Fate: Still alive and on the team.
Group Affiliations: The Squadron Supreme
PL 10 (142)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills: 
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Close Combat 2 (+8)
Deception 5 (+9, +11 Attractive)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 9 (+12)
Expertise (Current Events) 2 (+5)
Insight 5 (+8)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 5 (+9, +11 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 6 (+10)
Vehicles 4 (+4)
Pilot 1 (+4)

Advantages: 
Animal Empathy, Improved Aim, Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Magical Powers"
"Tornado" Blast 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (31) -- [43]
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 9 (19)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind Storm" Move Object 7 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Touch Range) Linked to Affliction 10 (Strength; Hindered & Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree) (20)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind-Assisted Flight" Flight 5 (60 mph) (11)
  • Dynamic AE: Force Field 8 (9)
  • Dynamic AE: Mind Control 6 (25)
  • Dynamic AE: Fire Blast 10 (21)
"Magical Senses" Senses 3 (Magical Awareness, Accurate & Ranged) [3]

"Moonglow Identity"
Morph 1 (Single Form- Moonglow) (Flaws: Resistible by Will) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Tornado +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Fire Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Wind Storm +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Mind Control -- (+6 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+10 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications: 
Relationship (Husband & Children)- Though they are only minor characters, Arcanna's family are an important part of her life. She kept them safe with an illusion when the Overmind wrecked the world, and teaches her children minor spells. She is horrified and helpless when they are kidnapped by the Institute of Evil.
Power Loss (Magic)- Arcanna's powers will not work on unnatural substances like Quagmire's Darkforce goo, nor can her Move Object easily move metals- it is mainly effective on natural substances. She also requires concentration and good vision- nearly any kind of Affliction will remove her control.
Secret (Heavily Pregnant)- Arcanna has become pregnant with her third child- annoyed over how the "Squadron treated me like I was made of GLASS" during her last pregnancy, she's resolved to keep this hidden until she absolutely has to mention it. This consists of creating an illusion that disguises her belly, to the point where nobody realizes just HOW far along she is, even once she tells them the truth.
Reputation (Attractive Woman)- Though she doesn't utilized "Attractive" as written (suggest it and I'll cut you), Arcanna is apparently considered quite beautiful in-universe, to the point where the Whizzer commented that "if my wife knew I was sleeping next to ARCANNA JONES, I just KNOW she wouldn't approve!"

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 50 / Defenses: 15 (142)

-Arcanna, along with the Whizzer, is one of the only Squadron members with children. This made her a fairly interesting character, as her issues with motherhood & pregnancy became important (she wanted to spend more time with the team, and hid her appearance from her teammates to prevent them from getting overprotective with her). Like Stanley (aka Whizzer), she got to live at the end thanks to her family life (I mean, even Gruenwald wouldn't off someone's mother, and he LOVED killing people!), just barely. She went into labour during the final battle, and nearly became the victim of Moonglow, who hestitated once she realized how visibly pregnant the woman was. However, upon being distracted by Shape, Arcanna gave her a taste of her own medicine, and one-punched Moonglow straight out. The series ended after all that death with a semi-positive note: her new child was born, healthy and safe. 

-Of course, then Gruenwald had her lose her baby anyways, as the naturally-powerful infant replaced a Cosmic Entity who was threatening their universe, and it was depressing as all hell, and part of why I really didn't like Death of a Universe. I will say, though, that Arcanna was one of those GOOD kinds of Fanservice. She was hot, wore fishnets, and was often scantily-clad, but it was never really embarrassing or over-done, like "LOOK AT MAH BOOBZ! TAKE ME SERIOUSLY!". She slept in the nude, but covered up nearly all the time, so it was the sexy kind of nudity rather than mindless T&A. Most you got in a single panel was a shot of part of her rump or something- much sexier overall than the thongs of 1990s costuming. The '50s hair just sealed the deal- I actually think Arcanna was far more attractive than the standard Magician Girl Zatanna. Might be the MILF factor twisting me in that direction, though :).

-Arcanna balances out pretty well as a mage, though she lacks the versatility of many. Pretty much all of her Squadron appearances involve her moving stuff with her mind or casting wind at everyone, so she was no Blaster-type out there. What she DID possess was a very powerful Illusion power, much like Moonglow's, where she could keep up a glamour to make her appear skinny instead of pregnant constantly, even in battle (she later switched this to a "Moonglow" identity), not to mention hiding all of Squadron City (probably a bit of Ritualist there, though). Her Magic has a couple drawbacks on, easily handled with a Complication.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

drkrash wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:06 am Does anyone know the Avengers issue where Tom Thumb is flying around in his little saucer thing and spraying some heroine with a thick white goop?

Not specifically, but my guess would be #148. Maybe 85 or 86 otherwise.

Horsenhero

Re: Jab's Builds! (Amphibian! Power Princess! Quagmire! Arcanna!)

Post by Horsenhero »

I have to agree with you Jab...I hated that "Death of a Universe" thing, where they went through and pretty much obliterated every new character who survived the "maxi-series". Only Shape (ugh!) and Haywire survive and they're both taken care of later on. Just a waste really.