BSDQ's OCverse Builds

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
bsdigitalq

White Wraith

Post by bsdigitalq »

WHITE WRAITH (???)
PL 10 (295)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 10
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 8
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+15)
Athletics 5 (+10)
Deception 8 (+13)
Expertise (Current Events) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Eastern Europe) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Streetwise) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Tactics) 8 (+12)
Insight 5 (+10)
Intimidation 5 (+10)
Investigation 7 (+11)
Perception 8 (+13)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+14)
Stealth 6 (+16)
Technology 4 (+8)
Treatment 4 (+8)
Vehicles 8 (+16)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Assessment, Attractive, Benefit 4 (Cipher), Close Attack, Connected, Contacts, Daze 2 (Deception & Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 44, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Deception), Favored Environment (Snow/Winter), Grabbing Finesse, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Jack-of-all-Trades, Languages 4 (Unknown Native Language; Chinese, English, French, German, Russian, Turkish), Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack 2 (Ranged, Concealment/Cover), Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 7, Redirect, Seize Initiative, Skill Mastery 2 (Intimidation & Stealth), Takedown, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed

Powers: 
“Enhanced Human”
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Quickness 1 [1]
Regeneration 5 [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

“Helmet” (Flaw: Removable) (10) – [8]
Feature 1 (Rebreather) (1)
Immunity 5 (Sensory Affliction Effects) (5)
Senses 4 (Darkvision, Infravision, Tracking) (4)

“Cloak & Armor” (Flaw: Removable) (9) – [7]
“Armored Knuckles” Strength-based Damage 2 (2)
Feature 1 (Voice Modulator) (1)
Immunity 1 (Cold) (1)
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) (2)
Protection 3 (3)

Equipment:
Armored Snowmobile (8)

“Gear” Binoculars, Commlink, Concealable Microphone, Flashlight, Grapnel Gun, Laser Sight, Mini-tracer, Multi-tool, Restraints, Suppressor, Targeting Scope (12)

“Arsenal” Anti-Personnel Land Mines, Anti-Tank Mines, Assault Rifle, Bolas, Flash-Bang Grenades, Grenade Launcher, Heavy Pistol, Knife, Rocket Launcher, Sleep Gas Grenades, Smoke Grenades, Sniper Rifle, Taser, Tear Gas Grenades (188)

“Hideout”
(Small, Toughness 8, Communications, Concealed 4, Garage, Gym, Isolated, Living Space, Power System, Workshop) (12) – [44]

Offense:

Unarmed +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Gloves +13 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Ranged Attacks +15 (+5 Damage/Affliction, DC 20/15)
Rocket Launcher/Mines (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +7, Fortitude +10, Will +10

Complications:

Enemy (Russia)- The White Wraith is an internationally wanted fugitive by numerous states and non-governmental organizations, but none moreso than Russia. She is even classified as a “lone wolf terrorist” by some groups.

Enemy (Siloviki)- Besides her raids on Russian military installations, the White Wraith frequently clashes with the Siloviki, the principle villainous presence in Eastern Europe.

Flashbacks- The White Wraith has frequent flashbacks to some terrible past events, possibly involving whatever it was that caused her to become what she is today.

Motivation (Anti-Russia Activism)- The White Wraith fights to curtail Russian military and political aggression in Eastern Europe.

Reputation (Loner)- Though she is not averse to working with others, and indeed maintains a rather large network of allies and associates, for the most part the White Wraith works alone.

Responsibility (The Common People)- The White Wraith feels a strong compulsion to protect civilians from the aggression of Russian military and police forces.

Total: Abilities: 106 / Skills: 96--48 / Advantages: 101 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 15 (295)

The White Wraith is something between modern folklore and rumor. No one knows where she comes from; she is Slavic, but that could mean a whole host of different ethnicities and nationalities. No one knows how she came to be; some sort of super-assassin experiment gone rogue, a highly skilled ex-Spetsnaz sniper, or the member of an ancient secret society of women killers. What is known is that there is a woman in high-tech white and grey armor and hooded white cloak, wielding advanced weaponry with superhuman skill, who stalks the battlegrounds of eastern Europe and brings a halt Russian military and political aggression, only to then disappear without a trace.

Ordinarily this would make her unlikely to ever encounter a western heroine like Thunder Woman, but the Russian invasion of Georgia at a time when Samantha and the NPU were conducting an archeological survey was strange time for Samantha. She encountered the White Wraith shortly after her confrontation with Ares and his Children, as after Thunder Woman intervened to stop the invasion, the Russian military was given permission by CENTRI to pursue her on the grounds of violating the UNEC resolutions regarding extraordinary involvement and intervention into international affairs.

She was barely able to hold her own against the onslaught of military forces, and once a small strike force of members of the Federal Guard came to be involved all Thunder Woman could do was run. That was when the Wraith intervened on her behalf, allying with partisans to disable the Russian military ground forces while taking on the Federal Guard members herself and actually beating them. She sheltered Thunder Woman and helped her to reach the Russian border, where the Federal Guard would be unable to pursue her. Samantha never saw her afterwards, and after the whole "international fugitive" affair was over, she has considered returning to Eastern Europe to seek out and thank the mysterious blonde woman who rescued her...
Last edited by bsdigitalq on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: BSDQ's OCverse Builds

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh yeah, I always dug this one's look- very cool with the "white & black spy gear"- she looks more like a video game character than a standard comic book one (that's not an insult, btw :)). Though I'd imagine in a regular comic book, like many of your characters, she'd either have simplified line-work, or be the same because modern comics LOVES putting lines on what used to be standard uniforms :).

The whole "pretty blonde lady beneath the scary skull-mask" thing totally works, by the way. The "Mysterious Ghost" thing is cool, too.

Good Christ that's a lot of Advantages. 44 Ranks of Equipment seems like a lot- most of those Weapons can be Alt-Effects of each other. Obviously she's a Combat/Skill-Monkey type of character, so priceyness is to be expected- most Daredevils or Black Widows hit around 200 points.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:47 am Oh yeah, I always dug this one's look- very cool with the "white & black spy gear"- she looks more like a video game character than a standard comic book one (that's not an insult, btw :)). Though I'd imagine in a regular comic book, like many of your characters, she'd either have simplified line-work, or be the same because modern comics LOVES putting lines on what used to be standard uniforms :).
I referenced various "Metal Gear Solid" characters like Solid Snake and Sniper Wolf while designing her, so that's likely why she looks more like a game character than something from a comic.
Good Christ that's a lot of Advantages. 44 Ranks of Equipment seems like a lot- most of those Weapons can be Alt-Effects of each other. Obviously she's a Combat/Skill-Monkey type of character, so priceyness is to be expected- most Daredevils or Black Widows hit around 200 points.
Yeah, I could probably alt those weapons off of each other, though even then, I imagine she'd still be around +250 pp at the end of the day. HeroLab doesn't offer an option to alt effect equipment like it does powers, at least not unless you wanna build the equipment as devices, and I wasn't having any of that. Maybe I'll go back later and redux that bit, see how much it saves her.

But regardless, some of that priceyness is intentional. Given that she's supposed to tangle with some of the Federal Guard, who are most assuredly *aren't* lightweights, I figured I needed to build her up into this almost ultimate-badass, a kind of Deathstroke-like figure who can take on multiple superpowered opponents and walk away from it. Add in some assistance from a handicapped Thunder Woman and some flubbed saves on the part of the Federal Guard members and I could see that scenario happening.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

That's cool - the backstory you told me about the "White Tights" in Eastern Europe was rad, too (how have I NOT heard more about that? That's insane. And hot.). Thunder Woman sure does need saving a lot for a Class 750 or whatever she is- you'd think even an amateur at that strength level would be a little more solo-happy. The tricky thing about having a Paragon/Powerhouse as your main hero (one I suffer from with Mega-Woman, too- I'm all "Okay, she's the central character" and then I realize that most of my villains would have no chance against her :)).
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:41 am That's cool - the backstory you told me about the "White Tights" in Eastern Europe was rad, too (how have I NOT heard more about that? That's insane. And hot.). Thunder Woman sure does need saving a lot for a Class 750 or whatever she is- you'd think even an amateur at that strength level would be a little more solo-happy. The tricky thing about having a Paragon/Powerhouse as your main hero (one I suffer from with Mega-Woman, too- I'm all "Okay, she's the central character" and then I realize that most of my villains would have no chance against her :)).
Well, the thing about the "International Fugitive" story arc is that it is more or less Thunder Woman at her lowest. She's been dealing with gaslighting from three Greek gods who specialize in fear, Miranda Iryn's own meddling in her heroic and personal life, Nemo Oudeis going after her and destroying an entire borough of Newport just to prove how outclassed she is against him. Now, add in getting bombarded by the Russian military while trying to save her friends and colleagues from getting slaughtered, and then hunted down by a strikeforce of competent military-grade heroes for violating international law, and well yeah, I think she needs all the help she can get. ;)
bsdigitalq

Zharova

Post by bsdigitalq »

ZHAROVA (Regina Abramova)
PL 11 (271)
STRENGTH
7/2 STAMINA 10/3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 8 (+12)
Athletics 4 (+11/+6)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Tactics) 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages: 
All-out Attack, Attractive, Beginner’s Luck, Benefit (Famous Heroine), Benefit (Member of the Federal Guard), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Favored Environment (Flying), Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Inspire, Languages 1 (Russian, English), Leadership, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Redirect, Teamwork, Ultimate Effort (Fire Attacks)

Powers: 
“Daughter of Fire” Alternate Form (Move Action, -1 point) [146]
Energy Aura 4 (Extra: Precise) (17)
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Enhanced Stamina 7 (14)
Enhanced Dodge +2 (2)
Feature 1 (Quick Change) (1)
Flight 10 (2000 mph) (20)
Immunity 11 (Fire Effects, Heat) (11)
Insubstantial 3 (15)
Affects Corporeal on Strength 7 (7)

"Pyrokinesis” Blast 11 (Extras: Area- 60 cft. Shapeable +2, Precise) (45) -- (51)
AE: “Fire Blast” Blast 13 (Extras: Secondary Effect on rank 9, Split) (36)
AE: “Fire Nova” Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 120 ft. Burst +3) (44)
AE: “Fire Wave” Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 250 ft. Cone +3) (44)
AE: “Concentrated Fire Blast” Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 5x120 ft. Line +3) (44)
AE: “Burning Touch” Energy Aura 7 (Extras: Penetrating 11, Stacks with Energy Aura 4) (39)
AE: “Cremating Blast” Blast 10 linked to Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Affects Objects Only, Increased Range) (40)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Aura +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Boosted Aura +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Area Attacks (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Blast +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12/+10 (DC 22/20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +8

Complications:

Enemy (Koschei the Deathless)- Zharova’s primary nemesis is the immortal sorcerer-king who has repeatedly plagued Russia for centuries. In particular, his interest in her lies in her ability to wield the power of the Zhar-Ptitsa, something he could never accomplish himself.

Enemy (Tsar Atomik)- The nuclear powered thug has never forgotten his defeat by Zharova and Thunder Woman, and part of his deal with Alexsei Mikhailov is to have a chance for some payback against both of them.

Enemy (Zhelezoruka)- Zharova has repeatedly clashed with the Russian gangster bound to an extradimensional parasite. At least part of this is a result of the Zhar-Ptitsa’s influence, as the parasite that gives Zhelezoruka his quasi-mystical powers utterly offends the elemental spirit.

Fame- Zharova is the most famous hero from Russia at this time. Even the return of the Red Guardians has not eclipsed her celebrity, as many younger Russians and hero enthusiasts prefer her over some old Soviet war heroes whose heyday was when their parents were kids.

Motivation (Legacy of Rodina and Mikula)- As the current most famous hero in Russia, Zharova has a legacy of famous Russian heroes to live up to. And considering how well regarded the memory of Rodina and Mikula is, those are some huge shoes to fill.

Motivation (Patriotism)- While Regina is far from blind to the Motherland’s faults, it is still her home and she is fiercely protective and loyal to it (though this does have limits, which are tested more often than she’d like).

Relationship (Andrei Beregov)- As the most famous hero in Russia and a member of the government controlled Federal Guard, Zharova has many powerful members of Russian society interested in “sponsoring” her. But the one that appears to have won out is rising star Andrei Beregov, who has courted her favor in order to boost his own public appeal and popularity, while also leveraging his considerable political and economic power in her favor. Regina appreciates his support, but is leery of what he intends to use her for, and how if she ever rejected him, he could utterly destroy her reputation. She is in league with the devil, and she is not sure how to get out.

Relationship (Baba Yaga)- The Little Grandmother, emissary of the Old Slavic Gods and archwitch, who bears a close kinship with both the Zhar-Ptitsa and Koschei the Deathless, has encountered Zharova on a few occasions, giving her counsel and guidance in how to work with the Zhar-Ptitsa. But Baba Yaga’s mentorship is not wholly selfless, and knowing her children’s stories, Regina is afraid of what price she will have to pay for the archwitch’s favor.

Relationship (Bogatyri)- Zharova has a generally more favorable relationship with the third of Russia’s notable teams of heroes than the government or the Federal Guard. This positive relationship has helped to improve the Bogatyri’s standing in the eyes of the public, and Zharova continues to publicly endorse them, much to the disapproval of her superiors.

Relationship (Federal Guard)- Zharova has a complicated relationship with her team, only fitting considering there are eleven other members. She despises Neuslav as a creep, doesn’t get along all that well with Zarya or Molniya (who are both jealous of Regina’s beauty and public adoration, and also of her ability to refuse to be sexually objectified, while they have to sex themselves up for their superiors and Russian teenagers), and Prizrak, Shturmovik, Spektr, and Zenit are nonentities as far as she’s aware, and she knows nothing of Strashnyysver’s existence. Which leaves Kamengorsk (a good battle buddy who has helped train her), Voskhod (whom she respects and trusts immensely) and Zimasyn (whose connection to Mystic Russia gives them a mutual affinity) as her only friends in the whole group.

Relationship (The Firebird)- The Zhar-Ptitsa is a living entity, and now that Zharova is the vessel for its power, it takes up some headspace in her mind. A major part of Regina’s adjustment to becoming Zharova has been dealing with having another, distinct voice inside her head, although having the Zhar-Ptitsa around to offer some advice has been helpful. However, piss it off, and she could lose her powers at an inconvenient time.

Relationship (Thunder Woman)- Though they were initially enemies, over time Regina has come to appreciate and view Thunder Woman as a peer in the heroic community. Both have come to the aid of the other if possible, and Regina is one of the few allies outside her immediate circle that Samantha can call a friend.

Relationship (Vigil Alliance)- While not as friendly as with the Bogatyri, Zharova maintains a much more positive view of the new team formed from the membership of the Red Guardians. Again, her superiors disapprove of this, and are frustrated by their inability to punish her for it. She maintains a friendly, if strictly professional attitude with Nightingale, cares little for Velikisyn and his Leninist crusade, views Stalkhozyain as a non-entity, and *really* doesn’t like Chernorda (much like with Zhelezoruka, this is in part a reaction of the Zhar-Ptitsa to the eldritch symbiote inside Chernorda’s undead body). The ones she does get along well with are Tugarin (similar powers, and a generally cheery, friendly and fun-loving disposition), Koldun (who offers up an avenue for mentorship without the pitfalls of Beregov or Baba Yaga), and Lady Midday (who she shares a kinship with in terms of “normal women forced into enormous elemental power”, and regards as something of a little sister).

Reputation (Beauty Queen)- Even before becoming Zharova, Regina was already famous as a beauty queen in the Russian military. That she has leveraged her popularity and some favors to prevent herself from being forced to wear something more sexually provocative or pose for pinups has frustrated her fans and superiors, and images of her in any form of undress tend to go for rather high prices.

Responsibility (Federal Guard Member)- At the end of the day, Zharova is a member of a government-controlled task force of extraordinary law officers and public champions. And while she can get away with a few things thanks to public support and the favor of a few key allies like Andrei Beregov, she still has a duty to her people and country that she much stay true to.

Responsibility (Host of the Firebird)- As a host for a living elemental being, Regina also has the duty of taking care of the Zhar-Ptitsa while it uses her body as a home. She can’t just simply use its power for any reason, and if it feels so inclined, it will withdraw its power from her, or even flat out leave her.

Rivalry (Andronik)- Due to certain actions and views that she has taken, Regina is not terribly popular among the Russian officials who oversee the Federal Guard. They don’t even like the fact that the most popular hero in Russia is a *woman*. That’s why they created Andronik, a man literally made to be an icon of Russian might. For now, he’s busy working as a member of Interguard, the UN’s own extraordinary taskforce. But when they are sure he’s ready, the officials intend on replacing Voskhod with Andronik as the new leader of the Federal Guard, and do everything they can to prop him up while marginalizing Regina.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 26 / Powers: 146 / Defenses: 12 (271)

Zharova is Regina Abramova, a woman who was born with a strange affinity for fire to begin with. As a young woman she volunteered for service in the Russian army, where she distinguished herself with her skill and beauty, winning the Miss Russian Army pageant. However, the true test of her character and ability would be when she and her unit were caught in the midst of an invasion by the sorcerer-king Koschei and his Deathless Horde. She fled into Mystic Russia, where she was captured and imprisoned at Koschei's fortress at the magical island of Buyan. There she met the legendary Firebird of Slavic myth, also a captive of Koschei, and her natural affinity for fire drew the two together. She made a pact with the entity and merged with it, transforming into a being of living flame and destroying the egg housing the soul of Koschei, single-handily turning back his invasion.

This victory earned her a position in the Federal Guard, the Russian government's official team of extraordinary "heroes", plus fame and fortune. She is the most popular and well known of the Federal Guard, not just in Russia but all over the world, and her fame has given the struggling team a much needed boost of esteem.

She first encountered Thunder Woman while in pursuit of the criminal turned nuclear powerhouse "Tsar Atomik", and the two initially clashed before teaming up to stop the criminal. Though they regard each other as friends, Zharova has had to fight Thunder Woman on a few occasions. But despite this their friendship remains strong, and Zharova continues to function as a strong, legitimately heroic member of the Federal Guard, despite the efforts of the Russian government to bend her spirit and make her a much more controllable individual. However, to do so she has had to make some pacts with some less than benevolent figures, and Regina wonders what will happen when she has to make good on her end of the bargains she's made...
Last edited by bsdigitalq on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ah, cool. Always liked this character's design- the uniform is plain, but pretty much HAS to be- we're here for the burning red fire chick with the crazy-rad wings.

It's interesting how big Russia's heroes are in your setting- Marvel & DC typically have "Rival School" teams that oppose their major squads, but they're generally one-note antagonists with few other abilities. Though their foreign names make it tricky to keep track of who's who in the descriptions, I like that different personalities are present. The two heroines being forced to be "sexed up" is an interesting twist.

One thing I'm noticing is the incredible points-cost of many characters- a sure sign of Skillmonkeys also having tons of Powers and/or Advantages. I do very similar things with my OCs, but most of my high-end characters tend to crap out around 220-240 (Iron Man & Thor at Marvel are at similar levels)- you've got a LOT of people surpassing that. This to me says there's more of a similarity to DC's way of doing things, at least regarding powers & competency. And also, it's telling me that you're posting your "Big Name" characters first, because even Sandstorm and your other PL 10-11 types are all pushing the same points-cost at about 200-ish points.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:07 am Ah, cool. Always liked this character's design- the uniform is plain, but pretty much HAS to be- we're here for the burning red fire chick with the crazy-rad wings.
All of the Federal Guard members wear the same basic outfit, with some differences between each member to help distinguish each other. But that plainness is intentional- a sort of visual commentary on how boring a Russian government team would be. That even extends to their lackluster name- the "Federal Guard."
It's interesting how big Russia's heroes are in your setting
An artifact of the Vigil Alliance and their cast of enemies and supporting characters predating Thunder Woman or any of my other major superhero creations. Plus, I'm just a huge enthusiast of Russian culture and history in general, so there was always gonna be some sort of bias there.
Though their foreign names make it tricky to keep track of who's who in the descriptions
Oh yeah, Russian names can get pretty nuts sometimes, though I've adjusted to it over time. I think it helps if you hear them said out loud, instead of reading them and trying to figure out how you're supposed to say something.
One thing I'm noticing is the incredible points-cost of many characters- a sure sign of Skillmonkeys also having tons of Powers and/or Advantages. I do very similar things with my OCs, but most of my high-end characters tend to crap out around 220-240 (Iron Man & Thor at Marvel are at similar levels)- you've got a LOT of people surpassing that. This to me says there's more of a similarity to DC's way of doing things, at least regarding powers & competency. And also, it's telling me that you're posting your "Big Name" characters first, because even Sandstorm and your other PL 10-11 types are all pushing the same points-cost at about 200-ish points.
Always been a big DC fan more than Marvel. I think it's because when I was growing up I always found the Marvel cartoons incredibly dense and nonsensical as a kid, while BTAS and STAS were much easier for my kid brain to comprehend and understand, both in terms of visual action and storytelling. This extended into the comics, where I could almost immediately figure out what was going on in a given DC comic as a kid, while Marvel's comics were too chaotic and over the top for me. Also didn't help that everyone looked so mean and menacing to me, more worthy of being villains than heroes.

Also probably a factor is that I essentially treat every character as a fully formed individual that has hit his/her peak- I think the only characters I intentionally low-balled in order to reflect their limited experience are Thunder Woman, Thunder Girl, and August Star.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

And anyway, that's it for Thunder Woman's solo allies! Next up, starting this weekend, will be a couple teams she is affiliated. In the meantime, seems Photobucket has noticed my prodigious usage of it, so I will be spending time finding a new image host and then taking all my images on Photobucket and hosting them onto the new one. SmugMug seems like a good option...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yup, as was noted in my thread and a few others, PB has decided that it will now charge $500 PER YEAR for image hosting, which is so freaking much that I have to believe they were dying on bandwidth and needed to be out of the business entirely. I'm kinda surprised you weren't just hotlinking from DA- doesn't that work just fine?
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:07 amI'm kinda surprised you weren't just hotlinking from DA- doesn't that work just fine?
Not according to past experience attempting it. Hotllinks from DA tend to blow an image up to it's max size, instead of what the default is. When they work for me, that is.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Aaaaaaand now that issue is taken care of. Goddamn Photobucket and their temper tantrums...I would've been perfectly happy to even pay as much as ten bucks a month for hotlinking privileges, but almost $400 a year? Yeah, screw that noise...
bsdigitalq

The Allegiance: Afterburner

Post by bsdigitalq »

AFTERBURNER (Chris Broome)
PL 11 (235)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10/6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Aero/Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletics 6 (+9)
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Extreme Sports) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+6)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 8 (+13)

Advantages: 
Attractive, Beginner’s Luck, Benefit (Allegiance Member), Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Redirect, Seize Initiative, Set-up, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers: 
“Fire-Propulsion based Super-Flight”
Energy Aura 3 (Flaw: Limited to while flying) [9]
Enhanced Traits 34 (Fighting +4, Parry +5, Dodge +5, Close Combat: Super-Flight Attacks +4; Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Evasion +1, Favored Environment (Flying), Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 3, Improved Smash, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge) [34]
Flight 11 (4000 mph) [22]
Immunity 8 (Fire Damage, Friction, Heat, Pressure) [8]
Protection 4 (Flaw: Limited to while flying) [2]
Quickness 5 [5]

“Super-Flight Attacks”
"Firebomb” Blast 11 (Extras: Area- 30 ft. Burst) (33) -- [40]
  • AE: “Suffocating Funnel” Affliction 11 (Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated; resisted by Fortitude)(Extra: Area- 30 ft. Cylinder) (22)
  • AE: “Firebolts” Blast 10 (Extras: Accurate, Multiattack) (31)
  • AE: “Fire Explosion” Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30 ft. Burst, Penetrating 11) (33)
  • AE: “Hit Everything” Strength-based Damage 5 (Extras: Area- 250 ft. Burst +4, Selective) (30)
  • AE: “Rapidfire Punches” Strength-based Damage 5 (Extra: Multiattack) (10)
  • AE: “High Speed Strike” Strength-based Damage 5 (Extras: Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 8) (15)
  • AE: “Boosted Aura” Energy Aura 5 (Extra: Stacks with Energy Aura 3) (Flaw: Limited to while flying) (15)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Super-Flight Attacks +14 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Area Attacks (+11 Effect/Damage, DC 21/26)
Firebolts, +12 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +17

Defenses:
Dodge +15/+10 (DC 25/20), Parry +15/+10 (DC 25/20), Toughness +7, Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:

Enemies (Lots of C to Z-listers)- Afterburner has attracted the attention of a wide range of lesser villains, the majority of whom form the bulk of the membership of the extended Crime Masters roster. He even has some recurring villains in the main rosters of some notable villain teams, like Quagmira of Overthrow and Hyperdrive and Game Master of the Crime Masters' founding group.

Fame- As a former (and according to some, still current) celebrity figure, Afterburner regularly has paparazzi and tabloid journalists chasing him down, trying to find something they can use in their publications. This has caused trouble for him and the Allegiance before, both in terms of reputation from potentially embarrassing moments, and in terms of these people interjecting themselves in the middle of a battle.

Fear (Being Forgotten)- Chris is not getting any younger, and he fears what will happen as younger performers rise up and overtake him. Part of his becoming a hero was his way of staying in the spotlight, but he knows it won't last either. He is deathly afraid of the idea that eventually, he will be nothing more than a footnote in history.

Motivation (Getting Serious)- Though known for his mixture of high-stakes daredevil stunts and humorous wisecracking, Chris greatly desires to move on from that and be taken seriously as a hero. Too often, he is his own worst enemy in this area, and should just embrace what he is good at.

Motivation (Thrill Seeker)- Chris' foray into extreme sports began and ran on his desire to take as big a risk as possible. He's tried to turn this down as a hero, but still occasionally seeks to get a thrill out of his heroics.

Relationship (Harmonika)- As a fellow performer, Chris feels like he has a kinship with Harmonika. While she dismisses his attempts to socialize with her as part of his regular horndog routine, the truth is that Chris looks at Harmonika as the sister he never had, and he is sensitive about revealing this information. Thus, a lot of people think his attitude around her is just his typical overly-aggressive flirt persona.

Relationship (Megabeast)- Afterburner loved to relentless taunt and annoy Megabeast back when he was Behemoth of the Bestiary. Now that he's become a superhero...Chris still teases him, but tries to make it a bit more friendly. He's honestly not quite sure what to make of being a teammate to a guy he used to fight fairly regularly.

Relationship (Silver Centurion)- Chris genuinely tries to emulate Casca's heroism, but is often put out by the Silver Centurion's seriousness.

Reputation (Clown)- Chris developed a persona of being a bit of a goof as a performer. But what worked as an entertainer then has come back to haunt him as a hero, as many people, villains and heroes alike, don't take him very seriously, and Chris chafes at this situation.

Reputation (Horndog)- Afterburner is a notorious megaflirt, pretty much hitting on almost any remotely attractive woman he meets. Even before Chris became a superhero, gossip writers would often pen articles detailing his love life and the numerous women he dated and bedded.

Rivalry (Jetstream)- Afterburner is engaged in a kind of friendly rivalry with Hispanic heroine Jetstream, of the hero team SHE. As a fellow flying speedster and a celebrity performer, they have engaged in a war of constantly one-upping each other at airshows and special public events.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 120 / Defenses: 14 (235)

Hailing from the realm of extreme sports, Afterburner projects the image of a hot headed, high spirited thrill seeker, always daring new extremes. This seems appropriate given his powers of superspeed and flame projection, but the truth is that he is very insecure about his ability to stay in the limelight. Afterburner fears being forgotten, especially as new, young talent emerges, and he wants to make his mark on history. He hopes that being a member of the Allegiance and billing himself as the fastest man on Earth will do that. So far, its inconclusive if that is the case or not; there's plenty of contenders for top speedster, and Revere of the Statesmen is still arguably the best in that area.
Last edited by bsdigitalq on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Neat stuff- the whole "Superhero as Celebrity" thing is something that comics doesn't always focus on as much as it should- there's a LOT of potentially interesting stuff there. Paparazzi, keeping up with fame, dating publicly and trying to keep your name in the news (remember when Ryan Seacrest & Teri Hatcher were "dating" because both had projects in the works?), etc. The Fantastic Four never was able to capture that, even with Johnny (a close comparison to this guy, actually).
bsdigitalq

The Allegiance: Blacksmith

Post by bsdigitalq »

BLACKSMITH (Bashir Manassa)
PL 12 (230)
STRENGTH
11/3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise: Engineering 10 (+17)
Expertise: Magic 2 (+9/+17)
Expertise: Science 6 (+13)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 2 (+9)
Perception 4 (+7)
Ranged Combat: Hammer of Vulcan 2 (+10)
Technology 8 (+15)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages: 
Beginner’s Luck, Benefit (Allegiance Member), Close Attack 3, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Jack-of-all-Trades, Languages (Arabic, English), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Skill Mastery 3 (Expertise: Engineering, Expertise: Science, Technology), Teamwork

Powers: 
“Blacksmith Armor” (Removable, Feature: Quick Change) [50]
Enhanced Strength 8 (16)
Flight 8 (500 mph) (16)
Immunity 8 (Disease, Environmental Conditions- All, Poison, Suffocation- All) (8)
Power-lifting 1 (1)
Protection 10 (Impervious 10) (20)

“Hammer of Vulcan” (Easily Removable) [52]
Enhanced Trait 7 (Expertise: Magic +8; Artificer, Ritualist, Skill Mastery: Expertise: Magic) (7)
“Alchemy” Transform 12 (Nonliving to Nonliving) (Extras: Increased Duration, Increased Mass 3: 12 tons, Increased Range) (75) – (81)
  • AE: “Alchemic Creations” Create 12 (4000 cft.) (Extras: Continuous Duration, Impervious, Movable) (60)
  • AE: “Alchemic Blast” Blast 14 (Extra: Penetrating 10) (38)
  • AE: “Alchemic Fire” Blast 12 (Extra: Area- 250 cft. Shapeable +4) (72)
  • AE: “Alchemic Trap” Snare 14 (Extra: Reversible) (43)
  • AE: “Hammer Strike” Damage 14 (Extra: Penetrating 10) (24)
  • AE: “Alchemic Deconstruction” Weaken Toughness 14 (Resisted by Fortitude) (Extras: Affects Objects Only, Concentration, Increased Range) (42)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Unarmed Armor +10 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Hammer Strike/Blast, +10 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Area Attack (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Snare/Transform/Weaken +10 (+14 Effect, DC 24)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +13, Fortitude +8, Will +9

Complications:

Enemy (The Secret Shadows)- The sinister cabal of sorcerers has been seeking the Hammer of Vulcan for a long time, and will gladly pull it from Blacksmith's cold dead hands.

Enemy (Moloch)- The off-and-on leader of the Secret Shadows has a particularly strong vendetta against Blacksmith, thanks to the scar the hero gave him.

Enemy (The Homonculus)- In its endless quest to fill the void in its body, the Homonculus has clashed with Blacksmith on more than a few occasions, trying to get at the alchemic fires of the Hammer. The Homonculus believes that by obtaining the Hammer, it will find a way to permanently end its quest for sustenance.

Motivation (Builder)- Bashir delights in making and building things, especially anything that improves lives.

Relationship (Doctor Quantum)- Out of the entire membership of the Allegiance, Doctor Quantum is the one Bashir gets along with the most. As a fellow smart man, they both are constantly discussing esoteric science far beyond the capability of the other members to understand, and Bashir has helped Doc improved his harness, while Doc has helped to illuminate the workings of the Hammer.

Responsibility (Family)- Blacksmith has worked tirelessly to bring his family over to the United States to avoid the tensions of the Middle-East.

Responsibility (The Hammer)- The Hammer has attracted a lot of trouble for Bashir and affected those close to him. He has tried to get rid of it a few times, but due to his blood heritage, it keeps finding its way back into his hands.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 102 / Defenses: 20 (230)

Bashir Manassa is an immigrant from Lebanon. As a child he grew up in a large family supported by his factory worker father, who encouraged his children to study hard so they could get good jobs as adults. Bashir showed a great deal of promise growing up, enough to attract scholarship offers from major Western technical universities. As a young man, he moved to the United States, promising his family that he would return to bring them back with him.

After graduating with high honors Bashir became a senior engineer for a major construction firm. One of the company's contracts revolved around the reconstruction of a wrecked museum. During a day on the job, Bashir and the rest of the crew were attacked by agents of the mysterious and sinister Secret Shadows. These minions were looking for something, and interrogated their victims relentlessly, before leaving them for dead. But Bashir survived, and as he crawled around the wreckage, he grasped the handle of something that felt warm to the touch. When he pulled, it revealed a hammer with strange arcane sigils on its head, glowing with a fiery light.

Bashir took the hammer to one of the museum's scholars, who was able to determine that the markings matched references to a mythical artifact known as the "Hammer of Vulcan," created by the legendary alchemist Xozimos from the same material as the Philosopher's Stone. The Hammer had been thought lost for centuries, but it seemed as though it had been discovered by employees of the museum at some point and shipped to them before the museum had been destroyed.

That was when the minions of the Secret Shadows returned. They had been looking for the Hammer, and attacked Bashir. Reacting instinctively he fought back using it, and was surprised to discover that it responded to him, almost as if he was naturally gifted at using it. With the powers of the Hammer, he was able to defeat the creatures.

The Secret Shadows continued to try to take the Hammer, sending increasingly more powerful agents against him. And with each new enemy the confrontations became more public. To protect himself, Bashir used the power of the Hammer to forge a suit of armor for himself, powered by the Hammer's energies. During his first public appearance, fending off the monstrous creature known as the Homonculus, he was dubbed "The Blacksmith." He accepted and embraced this name.

Blacksmith had a storied career afterwards, fending off repeated attacks by the Secret Shadows, the Homonculus, and his archnemesis, Moloch, the ousted leader of the Secret Shadows who Bashir scarred in battle. His work to immigrate his family to the United States has been complicated by this career and conflicts in the Middle East, and on a few occasions he outright renounced the Hammer. It's power was not worth the price it had. And yet, every time he rediscovered the Hammer, almost like it sought him out. Bashir later discovered that he is in fact a descendant of Xozimos, and that the Hammer is compelled to seek any adult descendant of its maker. So stuck with it, Bashir has committed to heroism full time.

Blacksmith accepted an invitation to join the Allegiance, in part so as to have assistance in his never ending defense against the Secret Shadows.