World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Enemies: The Ultimates: Binder, Plasmoid, Slick, Blackstar, Charger

Post by catsi563 »

actually found champions/hero system to be a relatively easy conversion to M&M.

attributes can usually be divided by 5 such as someone with a 60 Strength in hero = a 12 strength in M&M fairly accurately.

Hero characters tend to have higher agilities so an average of 3-5 usually works and a general split of Con and Body can be done for Stam

Speed is usually a nice easy anything below 4 is nothing and anything 5 or above is one or more ranks of Improved initiative.

All converts nicely using a lot og champs heroes and villains in HU right now.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Enemies: The Ultimates: Binder, Plasmoid, Slick, Blackstar, Charger

Post by Davies »

My method is similar but a bit more involved. I may post some notes when I get through my backlog.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Voltron64

Re: Panda & Raccoon

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:25 pm
catsi563 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:17 pm
Voltron64 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Fun fact about the horribly burnt corpse of Albert Zersoiten, about the only thing missing from it were it's head and upper spine.
And even that would be part of a master plan. :twisted:
Sorry, no, They Did Not Save Destroyer's Brain, and the autopsy was really really thorough. I'll go into details about that when I get done Firewing's entry (the last one in Enemies) in a couple of weeks.
I didn't imply They Saved Destroyer's Brain, It was more Omega kept it as a trophy.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:32 am I didn't imply They Saved Destroyer's Brain, It was more Omega kept it as a trophy.
Hmmmm!
Ken

Post by Ken »

catsi563 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:42 pm actually found champions/hero system to be a relatively easy conversion to M&M.

attributes can usually be divided by 5 such as someone with a 60 Strength in hero = a 12 strength in M&M fairly accurately.

Hero characters tend to have higher agilities so an average of 3-5 usually works and a general split of Con and Body can be done for Stam

Speed is usually a nice easy anything below 4 is nothing and anything 5 or above is one or more ranks of Improved initiative.

Having converted several hundred (actually, over 1000) Champions characters to M&M, I found a) it's pretty easy and b) some things are easier to do by feel than by mathematical precision.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:12 am
Voltron64 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:32 am I didn't imply They Saved Destroyer's Brain, It was more Omega kept it as a trophy.
Hmmmm!
Can you imagine the number of people attempting to buy said brain? A less scrupulous sort could make a mint selling "Doctor Destroyer" brains. ;~)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:48 pm Thoroughly broken by these experiences, most notably the fact that they were completely separated from each other during their stay in Blackstone, Panda and Raccoon were finally released in 2013. They've been assisted in finding a new place for themselves by Toxic and other current members of Project Freedom. It remains to be seen whether the fact that they're both in their fifties and well past their prime will truly stop them from returning to the criminal life that's all they've ever known ...
And now I really want to punch Thunder and Lightning in the nose.
No, wait, I want Charlie to punch them in the nose!

The saddest part is that Panda and Raccoon really lack skills to get themselves respectable jobs, their reputations are going to hinder them, their powers don't really translate into non combat jobs, and their enemies are legion.
I mean, Viper and the Cartel? You'd probably need to find somebody pretty powerful to ward off any reprisals from those groups.

I don't like their odds of staying on the right side of the law.
scc

Post by scc »

catsi563 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:42 pm actually found champions/hero system to be a relatively easy conversion to M&M.

Nice builds. I am always interested on how others convert characters from other systems. A lot of abilities and powers are pretty straightforward while others definitely require a little more thought. I did conversions as well. Look forward to more builds.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:56 am
And now I really want to punch Thunder and Lightning in the nose.
No, wait, I want Charlie to punch them in the nose!
The good news is there was probably a bit of punching in the nose when you guys fought them in the part of the campaign that's theoretical.
Arkrite wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:56 am The saddest part is that Panda and Raccoon really lack skills to get themselves respectable jobs, their reputations are going to hinder them, their powers don't really translate into non combat jobs, and their enemies are legion.
I mean, Viper and the Cartel? You'd probably need to find somebody pretty powerful to ward off any reprisals from those groups.

I don't like their odds of staying on the right side of the law.
No, probably not. The semi-good news is that they don't have to worry about the Cartel anymore; it was busted up in the mid-90s, and most of it's resources were absorbed by SHADOW's UK division and the branch of VIPER that operates in South Africa. (This is the Fifth/Sixth Edition version of VIPER that really is a snake cult.) The bad news is, they have enemies in Dr. Destroyer's former organization, which became the Capoyabun's organization.The really good news is that Raccoon has come into an inheritance from his parents (who never disowned him) that gives them a little financial security for a while. Neither of them knows how to manage money, though, so ...
scc wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:02 am Nice builds. I am always interested on how others convert characters from other systems. A lot of abilities and powers are pretty straightforward while others definitely require a little more thought. I did conversions as well. Look forward to more builds.
Builds you shall get!
Last edited by Davies on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Thunder & Lightning

Post by Davies »

Thunder & Lightning
Very very fright'ning!

There was never really any doubt that John Harrington and Margaret Russell would marry each other. Their respective parents were close friends, and when they each had children within a few weeks of each other, a boy and a girl, there was much joking that they'd created a way for the two families to unite. The jokes kept being told as the two children grew up, and somehow they stopped being jokes. The two started dating in high school, got engaged after graduation, and married in 1987 after John got his accounting certificate.

Had they really come to love each other or were they simply bowing to parental pressure? Only they know that ... and maybe they've forgotten.

Their honeymoon was a lavish gift from their parents, a boat on which they could sail around the Gulf of Mexico like the independently wealthy that they hoped to one day be. Less than a day out from land, though, their boat was caught in a sudden storm that rained down strange precipitation onto both of them. Disturbed by this eventuality, they returned to shore, sold the boat, and resolved to live within their means henceforth. They weren't to know that they'd been subjected to the effects of the same "weather controlling devices", designed by one Sebastian Stratos, that would empower Captain Thunder.

They figured that out over the next few weeks. Margaret had been granted tremendous strength and resistance to injury, while John had the power to discharge lightning bolts. It's to their credit that they didn't go mad with power immediately, as all too many mutated individuals do. On the other hand, they also didn't come to any profound realizations about the nature of power and responsibility, either. They had no interest in being psychotic villains or equally-psychotic heroes like the ones they read about in the news. So they resolved to never use their powers for any purposes.

Yes, they were fond of making resolutions, weren't they? But they stuck to the one about their powers for nearly a decade, through many situations -- such as when they moved to San Francisco a week before Loma Prieta -- probably tempted them quite a bit. However, perhaps the weight of living under two resolutions was a bit too much for them. Or perhaps they attempted to salve a deep and abiding unhappiness in their lives with material things that cost more than they could afford. Be that as it may, they found it harder and harder to live within their means.

Finally, in 1996, they realized that they would not have enough money to pay what they owed in income taxes. After some mild panic, John hesitantly suggested that they use their powers to perform some burglaries to get the money they would need. At least, that's how Margaret tells it; John portrays it more as a decision that they both developed independently. Regardless, they did agree to the notion, and took some pleasure in burglarizing a federal building to get the money needed to get the government off their back.

Unfortunately, they hadn't learned their lesson, and the next year they had to do it again, and the next year, and the next. In 2000, they were finally caught by a pair of superheroes, and went to jail for their crimes. They served five years of an eight year sentence before a federal judge ordered their release in support of the Project Freedom initiative in Freedom City, an opportunity for them to put their superpowers to use for the common good.

Needless to say, they were miserable. Any hope they'd ever had of a normal life was ruined by the notoriety that they earned as members of Project Freedom. (Some may have described what they earned as fame, but not these two.) When they were finally released from the program, there was no doubt in either of their minds what they would do now. Everyone called them supervillains? Fine. They'd be supervillains. Since then they have worked for VIPER as super-mercenaries, taken cities hostage, and generally made public nuisances of themselves as some of the most wanted criminals in the United States.

And all because of a lousy honeymoon.

Thunder -- PL 11

STR 14 | STA 10 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 8 | INT 0 | AWE 3 | PRE 2
Powers: Flight (Flight 8), Invulnerablity (Immunity 10 [life support]; Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 10), Strength Tricks (Array: Burst Area Affliction 7 [Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Stunned], Extra Condition, Limited Degree), Super-Breath (Array: Close Range Cone Area Move Object 11, Limited to Pushing Object Away, AP: Create 11, Requires Water, AP: Close Range Cone Area Nullify Fire Powers 5, Broad, Simultaneous).
Advantages: All-Out Attack, Improved Initiative, Interpose, Move-By Action.
Skills: Expertise: High Society 4 (+6), Expertise: Superheroes 4 (+4), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 8 (+10), Perception 6 (+9), Stealth 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Throwing 4 (+8).
Offense: Initiative +8, Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 14), Thunderclap -- (Burst Area Fortitude 7).
Defense: Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 12, Toughness 14, Will 10.
Totals: Abilities 90 + Powers 54 + Advantages 4 + Skills 18 + Defenses 13 = 179 points.
Complications: Revenge--Motivation. Hatred (Charlie Graham).

Lightning -- PL 11

STR 1 | STA 3 | AGL 5 | DEX 3 | FGT 7 | INT 0 | AWE 2 | PRE 3
Powers: Electrical Control (Array: Ranged Damage 14, AP: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 14 [Resisted by Dodge, Fortitude to remove; Visually Impaired, Visually Disabled, Visually Unaware], Limited to One Sense, AP: Ranged Multiattack Damage 9, AP: Burst Area 2 Ranged Damage 7, AP: Weaken Electronics 7, Affects Only Objects, Broad, Simultaneous), Electromagnetic Field (Sustained Impervious Protection 10), Electrical Phase Shift (Accurate Easy Extended Teleport 7, Increased Mass 3), Invulnerability (Immunity 5 [electrical damage]).
Advantages: All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Startle.
Skills: Athletics 4 (+5), Ranged Combat: Electrical Control 5 (+8), Intimidation 7 (+10), Perception 4 (+6), Stealth 4 (+9), Technology 4 (+4).
Offense: Initiative +7, Unarmed +7 (Close Damage 1), Lightning Bolt +8 (Ranged Damage 14), Actinic Flare +8 (Ranged Affliction 14, Resisted by Dodge), Chain Lightning +8 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 9).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 7, Fortitude 9, Toughness 13/3, Will 9.
Totals: Abilities 48 + Powers 95 + Advantages 5 + Skills 14 + Defenses 17 = 179 points.
Complications: Thrills--Motivation. Jealousy.
Davies

Leech

Post by Davies »

Leech

Once upon a very strange time -- the late sixties, to be precise -- there was a cab driver named Frank Winston, who'd been driving the streets of San Francisco for what felt like forever. He honestly believed that he'd seen everything the world could possibly show him, from the time when all four of those 'beetle' fellows had crammed into the back of his hack and yelled 'follow that car', to the time when some long-haired kid had stabbed him when he went around to pull her out of the cab, to the time he'd driven right through a fight between those Champions guys and a bunch of weirdos dressed in green underwear. His was a jaded soul.

So one fine evening, he picked up a guy in a long black cloak from the airport. Well, it takes all kinds, right? And so what if he laughed in what Frank had to admit was a rather sinister way when Frank talked about the weather? People are gonna laugh how they're gonna laugh. No point in getting antsy about it. And after all, the way that the guy kept telling him to change directions abruptly just meant that it took a long while to get where they were going, raising the fare by quite a bit, to the point where it was probably the highest amount he'd ever accumulated at one time by the time they got out to some haunted-looking place in the boonies.

And then the guy smiled, and suddenly Frank knew that, no, he hadn't seen it all, and there were quite a few things he was better off never seeing. But it was too late for such realizations. The passenger held up a gold coin and began moving it back and forth before Frank's eyes, like he was trying to hypnotise him or something. Of course, it didn't work on a tough-minded character like Frank, and so when he got out of the cab and followed the passenger up to and in through the front door of the house, it was entirely his own decision to do so, even if he found himself wondering why he'd decided this as he stepped over the threshold.

Had Frank known that his passenger was John Fulton, the infamous Archimago, and that his destination was the House that Hate Built, it probably would not have saved him. Led by Archimago, whose mystic knowledge easily uncovered the clues that led to the hellbound heart of the House, the cabbie was right on the verge of freedom when the fell wizard tapped the House's mystical power to transform him into a hideous monster, stripping away Frank's mind and perhaps even his soul until there was nothing left but Leech.

Over the decade that followed, Leech proved to be an effective servant for Archimago, bound to follow him regardless of which patron's commands Archimago now heeded. When Archimago needed him not, Leech sought out the rivers and wetlands to make his home. When free, he lashed out at anyone who crossed his path, for whatever remained of his personality was driven by rage against the very world. And then one day the link that bonded him to his master shattered with Archimago's death, and Leech was left with no master. Startled by this, he proved to be easy prey for ARCADE, who imprisoned him for decades.

But Leech proved more cunning than his captors realized, and when ARCADE moved into its new headquarters, he seized the opportunity to escape into the bayous of Louisiana. Viewed as a low priority target by ARCADE, he has remained free ever since. He has clashed with La Sirene on at least one occasion, when the Mayombe attempted to seize control of him. Their rough magic didn't come close to seizing his will in the way that Archimago's had, however, though he was perfectly content to attack such a disgustingly beautiful creature such as the Lady of the Waves. Eluding capture on that occasion, Leech remains at large ...

... and is the only creature in all the world who knows that with the death of Adrian Eldritch, the way is now open for Archimago's return.

Leech -- PL 10

STR 8 | STA 11 | AGL 4 | DEX 0 | FGT 8 | INT -1 | AWE -1 | PRE 6
Powers: Alien Eyes (Senses 1 [infravision]), Amphibious (Immunity 2 [suffocation]; Movement 1 [environmental adaptation (water)]; Swimming 4), Chameleonic (Visual Concealment 2, Blending), Clinging Grip (Movement 2 [wall-crawling]), Leech Grip (Array: Weaken Strength 8, AP: Weaken Stamina 8, AP: Weaken Intellect 8, AP: Weaken Will 8), Resilient Form (Immunity 11 [aging, life support]; Impervious Toughness 6).
Advantages: Chokehold, Close Attack 4, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Startle.
Skills: Athletics 6 (+14), Expertise: Magic 6 (+5), Intimidation 8 (+14), Perception 12 (+11).
Offense: Initiative +4, Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 8), Leech Grip +12 (Close Weaken Various 8).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 13, Toughness 11, Will 4.
Totals: Abilities 70 + Powers 43 + Advantages 10 + Skills 16 + Defenses 13 = 152
Complications: Vengeance--Motivation. Physical (no fine manipulators, unable to speak).
Davies

Lazer

Post by Davies »

Lazer

Emil Nelson was just a naturally greedy man. As a child in the 1950s, he stole his schoolmates' toys, and eventually moved on to stealing loose change and later large sums of cash from the neighbors. He might have gone on to a very profitable career as a second story man, but the army drafted him when he was eighteen and sent him straight to Vietnam. In the army, however, Nelson found a new niche for himself as the company's scrounger. The corruption he encountered was breath-taking in its scope, and Emil found that he loved the thrill of being an arms dealer.

But the war finally ended and Emil didn't love being an arms dealer enough to stay in a collapsing third world state, so back he went to America in 1973. Extricating himself from the army proved relatively simple, and with his GI benefits and the contacts he'd made in the service, he was able to set himself up as a player back home, as well. He was enough of a player, in fact, that the Mafia made him an offer he couldn't refuse for a piece of his action. A smarter man than Emil would have given the Mafia what they wanted and continued to grow richer. Emil, however, was a greedy man and wanted every dime that he could get out of his operation.

Just like that, his contacts started to dry up or turn on him, and his storehouses were looted or bombed. Emil found himself with nothing other than a package he'd managed to obtain from one of AEGIS' trucks, containing a prototype for one of their Chevalier laser rifles. Emil had a choice -- he could sell the rifle to his last remaining contact for a fraction of its worth and go back to being a burglar, or he could do something crazy as well as stupid.

Supervillainy it was! Rather than maintain that last contact, Emil used the rifle to rob them of a suit of protective gear and a jet pack, pretty much what every other gadget-wielding supervillain used. His plan after that was a bit clever, though -- it involved posing as a vigilante superhero out to take down the mob, counting on the support of other, genuine superheroes to protect him against retaliation.

As he sat in the jail cell, he wasn't really sure what had gone wrong. Maybe shooting those unarmored mob types with the laser, killing them in the fight, had given the superjerks some sort of notion that he was other than what he pretended to be. Or had it been offering them a cut of what he stole from the mob as thanks that tipped them off? Well, now he faced another choice -- he could sit on his ass until some sort of opportunity for a break out combined with the unlikely chance of being able to recover his gear came along, or he could do something crazy as well as stupid.

Ratting out his former contacts it was! The feds came in and took over his case, Emil went into witness protection and lasted a whole three years before he started up as a burglar once again, attracting the mob's attention. They killed him in a rather overly dramatic manner, and that was the end of this strictly D-list supervillain. The modifications he made to his Chevalier were deemed too hard on the batteries by AEGIS' technical department, and no one seems likely to pick up where the original Lazer left off.

Lazer -- PL 8

STR 0 | STA 3 | AGL 3 | DEX 4 | FGT 4 | INT 0 | AWE 0 | PRE 0
Powers: Armored Suit (Impervious Protection 8, Removable), Goggles (Senses 1 [low-light vision], Removable), Jetpack (Flight 7, Removable), Laser Rifle (Ranged Damage 9, Penetrating 9, Easily Removable).
Advantages: Accurate Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2 (laser rifle), Power Attack, Precise Attack (Cover), Ranged Attack 4.
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+11), Athletics 6 (+6), Deception 10 (+10), Expertise: Soldier 6 (+6), Insight 8 (+8), Perception 6 (+6), Stealth 6 (+9), Technology 4 (+4), Vehicles 6 (+10).
Offense:
Initiative +5, Unarmed +4 (Close Damage 0), Laser Rifle +8 (Ranged Damage 8, Critical 18-20).
Defense: Dodge 5, Parry 5, Fortitude 6, Toughness 11/3, Will 4.
Totals: Abilities 28 + Powers 41 + Advantages 10 + Skills 30 + Defenses 10 = 119 points.
Complications: Greed--Motivation. Enemy (the Mafia).
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Enemies: Panda & Raccoon, Thunder & Lighting, Leech, Lazer

Post by Davies »

Next character should be up tomorrow, I need to do some heavy thinking on her backstory and how it works with what was actually going on in Canada during the 80s.
catsi563

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Enemies: Panda & Raccoon, Thunder & Lighting, Leech, Lazer

Post by catsi563 »

Ladybug? :shock:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ken

Post by Ken »

That super-mutant guy who's name I'm blanking on?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.