Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Donphan! Celebi! Misdreavus!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (WISC, Volcarona, Bulbasaur, Elves)

Post by catsi563 »

Love McKiernan hes got such a great world and his ability to stay consistent via the timelines of his stories is amazing. Eye of the Hunter alone covers and bounces back and forth between a near 2 thousand year time frame if I recall.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Regarding hair, I wanted the High Elves to look more Japanese (black hair), and the Wood Elves to appear more Fey (multicolored), though both races have most hair colors. Like I said, it's just the stereotype based off of common physical features.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

catsi563 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm Love McKiernan hes got such a great world and his ability to stay consistent via the timelines of his stories is amazing. Eye of the Hunter alone covers and bounces back and forth between a near 2 thousand year time frame if I recall.
I loved Eye of the Hunter, one of the few books to get me to tear up at the end... I loved his books and really liked his writing style, it's just too bad some people couldn't getover his early works' the similarities to LOTR.
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:36 pm Regarding hair, I wanted the High Elves to look more Japanese (black hair), and the Wood Elves to appear more Fey (multicolored), though both races have most hair colors. Like I said, it's just the stereotype based off of common physical features.
That actually makes a lot of sense.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Umber Hulk

Post by Jabroniville »

The creature is huge, and hunched forwards like a gorilla, with massive, club-like arms. However, it is clearly insectoid- its chitinous exoskeleton, compound eyes, and thin hairs give it away. The creature's giant mandibles are more than three feet long, and covered in serrated edges.

UMBER HULK
Role:
Super-Strong Minion Race
PL 7 (79)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 8 (+6)
Perception 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Tremorsense" Senses 2 (Ranged Touch- Extended) [2]
"Ape-Like Arms" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]
Burrowing 4 [4]

"Confusion Ray" Affliction 6 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed to Random Actions) (Feats: Accurate 3) (Extras: Ranged) [15]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Confusion Ray +6 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Inhuman Anatomy)- Umber Hulks cannot speak to sentients.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 23 / Defenses: 11 (79)

Era: Fantasy Worlds
Range: Underground
Colouring: Brown, black, pink, red.
Size: Up to 9.5 feet tall (700-1,000 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Small troops (1-20)
Diet: Seeds, fruit, leaves
Tactics: Strike first with Confusion Ray, then attack all-out with powerful limbs and teeth.

-Umber Hulks are large, constantly-rampaging monsters that live beneath the Earth, smashing through rock as they burrow around. They are primarily known as pawns of the Neogi, a vicious, slaver-race of Spider-Like Abominations. Built like gorillas, but appearing to be giant beetles, they are about eight feet tall and weigh more than 800 lbs. They cannot speak the languages of any sentients but their own, unique tongue, but can be made to understand them.

Jab's Notes: I've never given much thought to the Umber Hulk- it appeared pretty "plain" as monsters go, but they're a sentient race of Gorilla-Beetles. Their art in the original "Monster Manual" is HILARIOUSLY bad. Just a big, stupid-looking, small-eyed Beetle Man.
Jabroniville

Neogi

Post by Jabroniville »

NEOGI
Creature Type: Abomination
Typical Adult Height: 4'0"-6'0"
Birth Rate: 10-50 eggs every 9-10 months.
Lifespan: 0-5 (Child), 6-12 (Young Adult), 13-80 (Adult), 80-100 (Elder)
Nicknames: Spider-Men, Bug People
Sexual Dimorphism: Very little.
Skin Tones: Brown, pink, yellow-ish
Hair: Almost none- typically sport only random hairs.
Racial Mounts: Platforms carried by Umber Hulks
Racial Weapons: Whips
Religion: None

Allies: Umber Hulks (Slave Race), Dark Elves, Mind Flayers

Encounter Groups:
Solo, With Umber Hulk Slave (1 + 1)
Group (2-4, plus 2-6 Umber Hulks)
Bands (4-15 plus 0-3 Elites, 4-20 Umber Hulks, 0-15 Slave Soldiers)
Camp (8-30, plus 1-10 Elites, 8-45 Umber Hulks, 0-200 Neogi Spawn, 0-50 Slave Soldiers, 0-6 Allied Races)

PL Variants:
PL 0: Noncombatants
PL 1-3: Weaker Specimens
PL 4: Common Fighter
PL 5: Elite Soldier
PL 6: Extreme Elites

-Neogi are a much-hated race of slavers & merchants, hailing from faraway worlds that bridge to Castellia only rarely. They arrive en masse, using massive "Slaver Parties" that split off and take captives back to their homeworld, as well as trade and acquire goods from other sentients. Most camps of the Neogi are ambulatory, as they travel frequently.

-Neogi are spider-like creatures, with eel-like heads and mouths full of needle-like teeth. They first appear as "spawn", barely sentient monsters the size of cats that burst forth from the bodies of "Great Old Masters", which are the final stage of Neogi life. They remain Adults for years, until age takes hold and they become bloated and helpless. Their fellows turn on them, crippling them and implanting them with eggs- the creatures are soon eaten from the inside out by the Spawn, who frequently devour each other until only a few grow to adulthood.

-Each Neogi raises at least one Umber Hulk to be its personal slave- a fragile species, they gladly have the Hulks do all their fighting for them. The most powerful Neogi are Mages of all types.

Jab's Notes: One of the curious parts of the great "Lords of Madness" D&D book was the feature on the Neogi, who hadn't appeared in 3rd Edition until that point. Sharing the book with more famous beasts like Beholders, Mind Flayers and Aboleths, they were depicted sort of like how Arabic traders were depicted in older fiction- vicious slavers. As the book says: "to call them amoral would be too generous. They are unprincipled, unethical, ruthless marauders that care nothing fro the lives or property of anyone but themselves."

ADULT NEOGI
Role:
Slavers, Traders, Merchants
PL 5 (82)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+4)
Deception 5 (+6)
Expertise (Merchant) 5 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Darkvision" Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]
"Eight Legs" Extra Limbs 4 [4]
"Neogi Venom" Weaken Awareness 5 (Extras: Progressive +2) Linked to Affliction 5 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned) (Extras: Progressive +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (25) -- [26]
  • AE: "Enslave" Mind Control 5 (Flaws: Unreliable- 3/day) (15)
Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Venom +4 (+5 Affliction & Weaken, DC 15 & 15)
Enslave -- (+5 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 15)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)- Neogi are cruel beings, seeing most things in terms of what they can acquire.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 9 (82)

-Adult Neogi carry a vicious poison and may use an "Enslave" power, but are generally limited warriors that rely on more powerful slaves to fight for them.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

So I was thinking about what other D&D monsters would be nice, and then I remembered the Mimic, always the most annoying thing to find in a campaign or video games. (And its variations like the Greater Mimic and House Hunter Mimic, but those ones are pretty ridiculous.)

Hell, even Pokemon includes Mimics, sort of! (I guess Ditto could count as one, too.) See, in the games, the item containers on the field look like Pokeballs. So every now and then you'd try to pick one up and it'd turn out to be a Voltorb instead. Later generations would introduce new pokemon to fill the same role.

Also, here's a suggestion to add to the ranks of Skeletons..those really annoying Skeleton Wheels from the Dark Souls games that roll around and chip off your health super-quickly with their Multiattack rolling.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I hate umber hulks, especially in Baldur's Gate 2. I generally hate confusion effects in video games anywas (looking at you Zubat!), but then add it to a super strong and durable monster and it becomes a huge pain in the ass! :x
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

L-Space wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:35 pm I hate umber hulks, especially in Baldur's Gate 2. I generally hate confusion effects in video games anywas (looking at you Zubat!), but then add it to a super strong and durable monster and it becomes a huge pain in the ass! :x
ugh- just wait for my Zubat build for conversation about THAT. There is nothing in the world I hate more than endless time-wasting loops of "_____ is Confused" "*annoying-ass tweety-bird sound*" "_________ hurt itself in the confusion" and then you waste your turn and have to do the same thing over again.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:26 pm
L-Space wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:35 pm I hate umber hulks, especially in Baldur's Gate 2. I generally hate confusion effects in video games anywas (looking at you Zubat!), but then add it to a super strong and durable monster and it becomes a huge pain in the ass! :x
ugh- just wait for my Zubat build for conversation about THAT. There is nothing in the world I hate more than endless time-wasting loops of "_____ is Confused" "*annoying-ass tweety-bird sound*" "_________ hurt itself in the confusion" and then you waste your turn and have to do the same thing over again.
So annoying, I swear it was only added in because one of the game developers was a sadomasochist who got off on the players' frustration.

Oh god, I just realized that Zubats and Umber Hulks would probably inhabit the same cave systems... :( :?
Formerly luketheduke86
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thanks for the neogi and umber hulks. The combination comes from the Starjammer setting. Why am I not surprised that my three favorite 2nd ed D&D are on many peoples hate list: Dark Sun, Starjammer and Planescape?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 pm Thanks for the neogi and umber hulks. The combination comes from the Starjammer setting. Why am I not surprised that my three favorite 2nd ed D&D are on many peoples hate list: Dark Sun, Starjammer and Planescape?
Are they hated? My old roommate WORSHIPED Dark Sun, going on and on about how fantastic it was, because it changed the inherent concepts of D&D. Starjammer I can see as being controversial, but was probably just D&D trying to corner the Sci-Fi market, too. What was Planescape like?
Jabroniville

Tropius

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

The creature is a Sauropod at first glance, though is tree-like in colour and texture- it has a massive wingspan (well over 40 feet), but the "wings" are in fact gigantic leaves. Colourful fruit dangles from the creature's neck.

TROPIUS
Role:
Flying F***ing Sauropod!
PL 10 (138)- Minion Rank 10, Sidekick Rank 28
Normal Version:
PL 8-9
STRENGTH 8 STAMINA 10 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 10 (+8, +10 Size)
Perception 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Grass Attacks) 6 (+10)
Stealth +0 (-8 Size, +4 Grasslands)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Long Neck & Tail" Reach 3 [3]
"Leaf Wings" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 7 (Str & Sta +7, +7 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -7 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [15]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
"Armoured Back" Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 9) [10]

"Grass-Type Magical Creature"
Immunity 10 (Water Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
Immunity 10 (Plant Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Quarter-Effect) [5]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Forests) [2]
Enhanced Skills: Stealth 12 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Forests & Grassland) [3]

"Solar Beam Stream" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Quirks: Cannot Attack In the Round Before) (29) -- [36]
  • AE: "Solar Beam" Blast 12 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Inaccurate -1, Quirks: Cannot Attack In the Round Before) (28)
  • AE: "Razor Leaf" Blast 8 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Multiattack) (25)
  • AE: "Stun Spore" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Cloud, Progression +2) (Diminished Range -2) (28)
  • AE: "Poison Powder" Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Cloud, Progression +2) (Diminished Range -2) (18)
  • AE: "Sleep Powder" Affliction 6 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Cloud, Progression +2) (Diminished Range -2) (28)
  • AE: "Tail Lash" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (18)
  • AE: "Dinosaur Stampede!" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited to Movement Path) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Solar Beam +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Solar Stream +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Razor Leaf +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Stun Spore & Sleep Powder +6 Area (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Poison Powder +6 Area (+6 Ranged Weaken, DC 16)
Area Attacks +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Tropius cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Fire, Ice, Rock & Poison Damage)- Tropius creature type leaves it vulnerable to certain types of attack. Even Bird-like creatures do extra damage.

Total: Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 90 / Defenses: 19 (135)

Era: Fantasty Worlds
Range: Deep Forests
Colouring: Green, Brown, Yellow
Size: Up to 39 feet long (10-25 tons)
Encounter Groups: Solitary or Small Clusters
Diet: Plants
Tactics: Stunning with Powders, then attacking downed creatures or Blasting away.

-Tropius is the name given to the large, Sauropod-like creatures that inhabit The Dark Continent. Enormous, powerful, and even capable of flight- they are some of the world's strongest herbivores. Travelling either alone or in packs, they have effective strategies against nearly any kind of opponent (most things they can't out-fight, they can out-fly)- only Dragons and Great Wyverns are known to prey upon adults.

Jab's Notes: Tropius was a pretty sweet-looking Pokémon from the 3rd Generation of games- despite being your typically-goofy undersized Poké-creature (it's a Sauropod and it only weighs a couple hundred pounds?). It could Fly and use Grass-type attacks, making it pretty useful, though of course it suffered from a ton of different attacks. My version is notably MUCH larger than the video game version, though the other one could easily be made from my Europasaurus build- this is a full-on adult, and is essentially a Saltasaurus with Poké-Abilities tossed on.
Jabroniville

Animals on Castellia

Post by Jabroniville »

The Animal Kingdom on Castellia:

Jab's Notes: I had this buried in the middle of my "Magical Animals" wordfile, so I didn't post it up with my other World-Building stuff. But I figure it to be pretty relevant. The links are ancient, so I'll swap some of them out eventually.

Castellia is a very large continent, full of elaborate animal life- some mundane, and others possessing magical abilities (such as flight in a creature that is too heavy to ever be able to fly), thanks to the capriciousness of the Gods, the powers of the Animal Spirits (which often create superior versions of animals- the better to take over the world), and access to the Eldritch Pools that mutate all creatures close to them. Many animals are on the main continent, but others still reside in the Dark Continent, the Eastern Lands (from desert to snowy peak), the Grimmsvell (the Northern icy wastes), and Albador, home of the Elves.

Various variations of each species occur as well- the Cat family Felidae is home to the common Housecat (itself derived from the Wildcat), the Cougar (or Mountain Lion), the Lion and the Lynx all inhabit the common forests of Castellia, and are frequently seen. The Northern territory also sees the Snow Leopard and the Sabre-Toothed Cat (or Smilodon). In proximity to the Giant Forest there are Giant Lions the size of small Elephants. That's just on Castellia- On the Western Islands, there is the Jaguar, and on the Dark Continent there lies the Leopard and other Lions. To the East there be Tigers, Giant Tigers and Leopards, along with the Bobcat and Clouded Leopard. This is just one Family of animals- the others are all like this as well.

Animals are frequently caught, domesticated, or turned into Animal Companions by Rangers and Druids. Others still are hunted for meat, and others to protect crops or livestock. All lands are very wild and relatively-unsettled, with numerous large forests and rainforests providing adequate cover for numerous animal species. Almost nothing is near-extinction- sentient Humanoids have yet to make that kind of a dent in their own territories, and so many animal species can and will attack Humans and other creatures as a source of food. Even so, few animals are suicidal- fear of a "Random Encounter" with an animal that fights to the death is rather rare- most animals seek out solitary Humanoids, and focus on the weak or elderly.

Mammals make up the largest assortment of life on Castellia and the other continents, with Reptiles (the descendants of the mighty Dragons) holding power over only the Dark Continent, though many are known in other lands. Creatures once known only to fossil records (Necromancers often meet with surprise when they randomly attempt to "raise" skeletal remains in certain areas) have been located- with the Dark Continent and Gallea's Dinosaur Valley being home to titanic reptilians, herbivore and carnivore alike. These creatures remain the pinnacle of the Animal Kingdom's power, but cannot survive the harsher winters of the North.

Jab's Notes: Gotta love the D&D-style Animals. Actually, their stats were always kind of weak for standard Animals (PLs are all over the place- a Cheetah or a Housecat could beat the crap out of a Commoner, despite that not being the case in real life, Horses are pathetically weak physically for game-balance purposes, etc.), but then they never really got the care that kewl things like the Purple Worm and Catoblepas did. I utilize my own Animal Builds in these cases, with a few notes and additions- I'll be statting up a few unique D&D-type monsters, plus my own ideas as well.

Similarly, the Animal Dork in me must ALWAYS explain a reasoning for something- there are no forests with Lions AND Tigers in them, nor are their multiple Super-Predators in every area. The stereotypical D&D campaign is full of Suicidal Animals that sprout up out of NOWHERE. I demand reasoning for certain things- like if a Roc lives in an area, it must be relatively solitary, and have a plentiful supply of giant things to eat, because the Dork in me refuses to believe that a bird the size of a 747 could be relatively populous or have an easy time everywhere. Now, this is obviously a whacky fantasy world where people can be half-Spider and turn into Dragons and junk, so real-world science needn't be involved- but really, I demand an internal logic to the world, and it fits to have only one apex predator in one area. It's not like there's a small amount of territory anywhere.

Regarding Power Levels: My Animal Builds were all statted up with the "Elite Animal" concept in mind- heroes in the comics tend to be at LEAST challenged by animals they encounter, and so my animals were kind of "boosted" past their "usual" levels to match this- a PL 10 Batman would completely house a PL 6 Leopard in a fight, but in "The Demon's Head", he actually has his work cut out for him when he faces one. As such, my Animals were all about two Power Levels above their common self (which was always noted in the "Common" portion of the builds). For a D&D-type fantasy world, however, I would expect MOST animals to be lowered to their "basic" levels- this is easily done using just their Attack & Defensive Bonuses (many of which were never idealized anyways), leaving the rest of their stats entirely intact (maaaaayyyybe a few less Combat Advantages, but to each their own). This will create a PL 6 Lion instead of the PL 8 Lion that I've statted up.

Note that you can STILL get use out of the "Elite" regular builds for a greater challenge. And like always, making the animals subject to the Mooks rule reduces a LOT of the difficulty (one PL 8 can beat a group of PL 5 Mooks pretty handily, but PL 5 NON-Mooks is a pretty tough order). It all depends on the game you want.

A blurb about each Animal Species' place in the world:
Large Mammals:
Equidae (Horse, Zebra, Wild Ass)
-Extremely common, especially in Human lands (Elves & Hobgoblins also use them). Easily the most-common type of mount, as Horses are the perfect combination of size, power and speed. Asses include Donkeys and the like, who are tough and sturdy, but viewed as relatively comedic. Zebras exist in the Southlands, and are untameable as a species (individuals may be trained as mounts with extreme difficulty, however.
Fantasy Horses (Pegasus, Nightmare, Hippocamp)
-Magically-different Horses are very common throughout Castellia as well, though much less than most non-magical animals. Pegasi are common in the Mountains of Marsellia, and are ridden as mounts by their Pegasus Knights. Nightmares are the most-likely mount of evil beings aligned to Demonic forces. Hippocampi are a semi-common Underwater Mount.
Unicorn
-Unicorns are very rare, but Immortal creatures of great power inhabiting the most magical forests of all the world's continents. Allied with natural forces, they attempt to protect the forests from intruders, and are considered friends to most creatures, save those that actively hunt them (Lions have been known to do this). They will allow only female virgins to ride them, but are very atypical as mounts due to their rarity.

Cervidae (Mule Deer, Caribou, Elk)
Cervidae (Moose, Megaloceros)
Bighorn Sheep
-The most common "prey species" in most wild lands, they exist all over Castellia. Deer are common enough to be a public nuisance in some parts, and nearly every predatory creature larger than a Wolverine is known to hunt them. Not given much consideration by some, their racks of antlers are nonetheless a prime decoration for hunters looking to prove their machismo to others. Similarly, for those lacking domesticated wildlife, they are the most-important staple species for hunting. The Stag is a great symbol of power and freedom for some people as well. In general, Deer are common everywhere, while the larger species are more common the further North you get into colder lands. Megaloceros are the rarest of all

Suidae (Warthog, Wild Boar)
Fantasy Pigs (Dire Boar)
-Boars are common in most parts, and Warthogs much farther away in other lands. Dire Boars are known only in Orc Lands, as they are a famous mount for those filthy creatures (more civilized Orcs reject them).

Antelopes (Impala, Wildebeest)
-These are common in other lands- primarily the South.

Cattle (Bull, Bison, Gaur, Musk Ox)
-Cattle are among the dominant domesticated animals in all the world, but are more expensive and thus rarer than Sheep or Poultry. Very powerful, they have been domesticated over much of Castellia and all it's continents, but wild herds still exist. Buffalo dominate the Northern Ice Fields, and the mighty Aurochs remain untamed over many Human lands. Musk Oxen are among the best survivors for their size- they can survive in the farthest northern reaches of the world, and rarely interact with other herbivores as a result.
Fantasy Cattle (The Red Bull)
-This creature inhabits the nightmares of all good-aligned beings, and most evil ones as well. Thankfully, their numbers are few- they are servants of Demonic forces, or are solitary beings devoted to control and evil.

Camelidae (Camel, Llama)
Giraffidae (Giraffe, Okapi)
-These large creatures are common to other lands, and are considered rare, exotic creatures worth huge amounts of Gold on the main continent. Camels are common Mounts in South & East lands, especially in deserts, where their ability to go long periods without water come in handy. Giraffes are titanic and famous creatures prone to wild legends in other lands, while Okapi are rumoured-about forest spirits to most.

Hippopotamus
-Hippos are titanic and grouchy beasts, semi-common in Eastern & Southern lands. They inhabit rivers and lakes, and are known to be fearsome by all peoples who share their land.
Tapiridea (Malayan Tapir)
-Solitary, uncommon creatures in the Eastern lands, and they have been seen on other, more distant lands as well.

Rhinocerotidae (Sumatran, Black, White Rhinoceros)
-These huge creatures are from the Eastern lands, but are famous the world over for their incredible power and enormous horns. Among the mightiest herbivores in the world. Rarer than smaller animals, but still reasonably-common in small herds. Black & White Rhinos inhabit different areas. Their horns are often hunted as treasure, but the creatures don't make them easy finds. Few predators other than Rocs and Dragons would tangle with an adult. A few brave souls have tamed individual Rhinos as mounts, but their rarity in most human lands makes the woolly varieties more common.
Rhinocerotidae (Woolly Rhino, Elasmotherium)
-These Rhinos are known to Castellians by their habitats in the Northern lands- the Galleans in particular worship the creatures' power, making them a common subject in Heraldry and Masked Knight lore. The Elasmotherium is one of the alpha herbivores on the Northern Plains- so strong that even the Mammoths wouldn't find them. The Frost Giants utilized them as pack animals at times, while Galleans use some as mounts. Ogres have been known to tame these monstrous creatures, as they love the sheer size and power of the Rhino's charge. In fact, most Ogre cavalry is taken from either these creatures, or their smaller Rhinoceros cousins in different lands.

Proboscidea (African, Asian Elephant)
Ancient Giant Mammals (Mammuthus, Indricotherium)
-Elephants are from the Eastern Lands, with Mammoths inhabit the North. All are known as unstoppable titans, and some powerful human armies have tamed them to wield massive war-howdahs on their backs. Few human armies can wield a more devastating weapon, short of taming and mastering Magic or Dinosaurs.

Giant Sloth (Megatherium
Giant Armadillos (Glyptodon, Doedicuras)
-These creatures are rare, but are known to inhabit the Western lands, as well as the Giant Forest of Lacae.

Mammals:
Rodentia (Brown Rat, Beaver, Capybara)
Fantasy Rodents (Rodent of Unusual Size)
-Rodents are a well-known disease-carrying scourge across all lands, but an important part of life as well- occupying the bottom of the food chain. Beaver are an industrious creature known through the northern half of Castellia, while Capybara are the South, both being semi-aquatic rodents. ROUS are known all over, similar to their smaller cousins.

Marsupialia (Kangaroo, Procoptodon)
Marsupialia (Thylacoleo)
Giant Platypus
-Largely unknown to most, as their homeland is miles apart from human civilization.

Giant Bat
-Common to many forests and giant caves, as well as the whole of Suberranea. Smaller bats share much of the same territory, as the creatures rarely compete for food.

Aquatic Animals:
Pinnipedia (Harbour Seal, Sea Lions, Leopard Seal)
Pinnipedia (Walrus, Elephant Seal)
-These creatures inhabit mostly Northern lands, but often migrate to the Southern coasts of other areas. The Pinnipeds take up varying parts of the food chain, with almost all of them being known fish-eaters. The Walrus tends to hunt for small crustaceans on the ocean floor, and can readily survive in the worst cold thanks to it's tremendous blubber. Leopard Seals are more swift, dangerous hunters, and are rarely hunted for food by any manner of creature. Walruses are prized by all sentient hunters for it's sheer meat, though a large adult is untouchable by all but large groups of Humans, a Frost Giant, or creatures larger than a Polar Bear (even a fully-grown male would hesitate against such a foe). The more common Seals (Harbor especially) are more-readily preyed upon by all manner of creature, making up almost half of the diet of a most Polar Bears. Elephant Seals are among the most titanic members of the Order Carnivora, and maintain footing on some coastlines in large herds that gather for mating season. They rarely interact with other Seal species (save the Harbor Seals), and are in smaller populations (other, larger groups exist farther to the south).

Cetacea (River & Common Dolphins, Dall's Porpoise)
Cetacea (Bottlenose Dolphin, Narwhal, Beluga)
Cetacea (False Killer Whale, Killer Whale)
-The Whales are a large family of creatures, with many varying pods filling the oceans. Dolphins are more temperate creatures, and often migrate, with only a few pods known to interact in the coldest waters. They interact with other creatures, though Bottlenose Dolphins in particular are vicious to their relatives, frequently pummelling them to death for entertainment value. Narwhals and Beluga are the most-permanent residents of the North, and are a large prey source for large predators. Narwhal permanently stay in the very coldest waters at the Northern-most peak of the world, and Beluga habitually make up the lower portion. Killer Whales are one of the most widespread animals on the face of the planet, and thus large pods are seen everywhere. They rarely hunt other Dolphin species, as they hunt different types of game (usually larger creatures, such as whales, walruses or seals). Bottlenose Whales, Pygmy & Dwarf Sperm Whales, and other toothed whales are all occasionally-seen, but are more rare.
Cetacea (Sperm Whale, Zeuglodon)
-These mighty mammals are among the strongest animals in the oceans by far- adult specimens have nothing to fear from anything short of a hungry Dragon (their only predators), or perhaps the mighty Liopleurodon or Megalodon. They are solitary, gathering only to mate, and hunt creatures at the very bottom of the oceans. Their territories are on opposite sides of the Northern continent, so they are not known to interact.
Cetacea (Humpback & Blue Whale)
-Non-predatory and less-scary than the Toothed Whales, Baleen Whales are nonetheless pretty hard to kill. Their largest threats include pods of Orca, huge Dragons, or the horrifying Rocs.

Fish (Piranha, Electric Eel)
Fish (Barracuda, Swordfish)
-Fish are a staple prey for nearly all oceanic creatures- anything smaller than a duck typically eats shrimp and krill. Piranha are common in the Southlands, while all other predatory fish are known to inhabit most types of waters. Many are semi-tame, and used by Underwater Sentients as sentries, Animal Companions or Familiars.

Sharks (Bull Shark, Great Hammerhead)
Sharks (Great White, Megalodon)
-Sharks are common the world over, with Greenland Sharks in the North, and the rest inhabiting warmer waters. They vary in size greatly, but the most famous are of course the largest- Megalodons are the stuff of nightmares, but are thankfully the most-rare type of shark. Anyone who has one at their beck and call is a truly fearsome opponent. Among the most-common Animal Companions for Undersea Rangers & Druids are the Sharks- typically smaller types like Makos & Bulls, which are easier to control than the huge Greate Whites.

Mollusks (Octopus, Colossal Squid)
Mollusks (The Kraken)
-Squid make up a huge portion of the prey for Sperm Whales & Zeuglodons, though they are powerful hunters in their own right. The Kraken are ultra-rare, titanic predators known to bring down entire ships, which makes them famous.

Box Jellyfish
-Common in some areas, they are non-sapient, but are considerably dangerous, especially when they're in massive swarms.

Flying Animals:
Large Birds (Ostrich, Cassowary)
Large Birds (Moa, Terror Bird)
-Large birds are common to the South & Eastlands. Ostrich are popular mounts for games, but not for war, while the Hobgoblin Empire is known to use Terror Birds for the latter role. They rarely cohabitate with Raptors, for those creatures often overpower and outnumber their avian cousins.

Birds of Prey (Peregrine Falcon, Golden Eagle)
Birds of Prey (Condor, Owl, Haast's Eagle)
-Birds of Prey are common all over the world, with large species sharing many of the same traits. Most hunt in the day, but Owls hunt at night. They are common as Animal Companions, as they have a range of vision far beyond any humanoid's.

Fantasy Birds (Giant Eagle, Hippogriff)
Gryphon
-These creatures are very famous, but often quite rare except in certain areas. They prefer large mountainous regions for their large territories. They rarely interact with Pegasi (different areas- often chosen specifically because they don't contain the other animal), and are highly-sought-after mounts, but are quite rare (Gregroy of the Light-Brigade is one of the most notable ones- he eventually sets off an entire squadron of Lacaean Air-Riders). Wiser than most mortals give them credit for, they are hard to catch, and harder to train. Gryphons are famous for slaying human's mounts- Horses are in fact their favourite prey. This makes them very unpopular with humans, but they are similarly hard to catch. Hippogriffs are MUCH rarer (and not truly the offspring of Gryphons and Horses, as is often the rumour), and owning either is a huge status symbol.
-All three varieties often share territory with smaller birds, but will kill any other bird-like creatures equal in size to them. They share too much of the same prey, and are all very territorial, solitary creatures (except when meeting to mate).
Fantasy Birds (Roc)
-World-famous but highly-rare, Rocs are the most powerful Birds in existence, and are mightier than most DRAGONS! They are so large that their territories cover hundreds of miles, as such a creature would soon wipe out all life in their chosen lands. Rocs primarily hunt Whales, Elephants and Dinosaurs, as these large creatures can often sustain a Roc for up to a month (their dietary tracks are thankfully magical) when they are fully grown. Roc Eggs are among the rarest and most-expensive objects in the entire world, but are perilously difficult to find, as the parents' fury is far beyond what most mortals could withstand.

Carnivores:
Canidae (Bulldog, Retriever, Mastiff, Rottweiler)
Canidae (Fox, Coyote, Wolf, Dire Wolf)
Fantasy Wolves (Dire & Giant)
-Canines are domesticated in nearly all lands- almost all intelligent life recognizes the unique traits of community, loyalty and animal senses inherent in the canine types. Wolves have given way to domesticated Dogs in many cases, used for purposes as varied as meat, companionship or as beasts of war. More wild varieties are known as pests, and are frequently dangerous (Wolf Packs can easily bring down one solitary human, and often target children). Wolves are in fact quite-feared in most Human lands for this reason. Larger Wolves are known farther north, while the true Giant Wolves are much rarer, inhabiting the Giant Forest and other lands in smaller packs. Dogs & Wolves are probably the most-common Animal Companions.

Mustelids (Wolverine, Badger, Skunk)
-Mustelids are an important mid-tier predator, with Weasels hunting small animals, and Badgers & Wolverines often attacking larger creatures. Not large, but exceptionally fearsome, most predators give them a wide berth. Some Beast-Kin have been known to tame these creatures (and produce larger varieties), creating effective animal minions.

Spotted Hyena
-Hyena are feared in the Southlands for being disgusting, vile predators prone to digging up human corpses and consuming them, bones and all. Though not more evil than any other animal, Hyena-kind's matriarchal societies, questionable gender-differences (enlarged clitoria that resemble phalluses), and carrion-eating ways make them disliked virtually everywhere. Only Beast-Kin typically tame and keep them as companions.

Felidae (Cat, Lynx, Caracal, Clouded Leopard, Ocelot)
Felidae (Cheetah & Snow Leopard)
Felidae (Cougar, Leopard, Jaguar)
Felidae (Lions)
Felidae (Tiger & Smilodon)
-Cats are famous for their grace, agility and power. Smaller animals are known to be companions and pets, while the wilder varieties are feared hunters. Lynx, Smilodons & Snow Leopards engage in the Northern portion of Castellia (Snow Leopards live in higher mountains, so as to avoid the larger Sabre-Toothed Cats, while Lynx are in more temperate regions). Caracals & Leopards hunt in the Southlands alongside Dinosaurs. Lions inhabit both the Southlands and scattered plains in Castellia proper (they are known to inhabit the caves of the western coasts, as well as being among the few regular-sized animals in the Giant Forest). Tigers, Leopards and Clouded Leopards exist in the Eastlands, and often creep up into the eastern side of the Northlands. Jaguars are known from the Western islands.

Fantasy Cats (Manticore & Chimera)
-Rare, usually solitary beasts, known in more exotic lands, though many find their way into Human areas. Sentiens often capture them and use them as War Monsters- they are famously destructive.

Ursidae (Sun, Sloth, Panda, Black Bear)
Ursidae (Brown, Polar, Short-Faced Bear)
-Bears are common in all lands, with a different species for each area. The Southlands contain none, but Sun Bears frequent the Western Isles, Pandas are known in the Far East, Sloth Bears inhabit the East, and Black & Brown Bears appear all over both Castellia and the East. Polar & Short-Faced Bears are known in the Northlands, as well as the occasional straggler from the Black & Brown varieties. Inter-breeding is known, but fairly rare. Each bear maintains a large territory that no other Bear enters, except to fight or mate. Many interact with other large predators, but their huge size (and the pointlessness of a fatal conflict) keeps them apart from Lions and Tigers for the most part.

Primates:
Prosimians (Tarsier)
Monkeys (Capuchin, Spider Monkey, Mandrill)
Apes (Chimpanzee, Orangutan, Gorilla)
-These man-like creatures are known in the South & East Lands, but are uncommon sights to most Humans on Castellia. Many of them exist only as rumours. Monkeys are nonetheless known as Mages' Familiars.

Primates (Neanderthal Man, Sasquatch)
Goliath Apes
-All are known to exist in varying numbers. Neanderthal are primitive Human-like animals (and considered a source of embarassment to their relatives) in the Northlands, often finding themselves slaves of the Frost Giants. They typically gather in large tribes that hunt down large mammals for food. Sasquatch are intelligent creatures from the same regions, but maintain a solitary existence. Goliath Apes are so rare that many believe that only a single creature exists, but there are in fact small breeding populations.

Reptiles:
Lizards (Monitor, Komodo Dragon)
Constrictors (Boa, Rock Python, Anaconda)
Snakes (King Cobra, Diamondback Rattlesnake)
Fantasy Snakes (Giant Snake)
Crocodiles (Caiman, Nile)
Crocodiles (Saltwater, Deinosuchus)
-Reptiles are known the world over in various forms, but get rarer the farther North you go. Crocodilians are only known in the Southern end of Castellia, or example. Snakes are common in nearly all the forests of the world (though the more exotic varieties are on the Eastern & Southern Lands), with the Giant Snakes being most rare. The Southlands is of course the largest source of all reptilian life.

Insects & Arachnids:
The Deadly Mantis
Giant Ants
Giant Hornets
Giant Spiders & Scorpions
-These titans are very rare except for certain areas, where they have proven quite dominant. Giant Arachnids are VERY common in Subterranea, and are often the preferred mounts of the Dark Elves. Giant Hornets (and other creatures like Bees & Wasps) gather in enormous hives in certain parts of the Southlands, and one particular unit has taken hold in the Southern Tip of Castellia- it has yet to be seen whether this is a freak occurence, or the start of something more...

Prehistoric Creatures:
Theropods (Coelophysis, Troodon, Compsognathus)
Theropods (Dilophosaurus- Real & Jurassic Park)
Theropods (Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Utahraptor)
-These theropods are extremely common in the Southlands, to the point of being the dominant predators there. Hordes of "Raptors" (as all dromaeosaurs are called by the uneducated laymen) are a legendary source of terror for nearly all sentients. They are more rare on Castellia, save for Dinosaur Valley and Dark Elf lands, where large Raptors (largely Deinonychus with the rare Utahraptor) are bred as lethal mounts.

Theropods (Therizinosaurus)
Stegoceras, Pachycephalosaurus
Iguanodon
Hadrosaurs (Parasaurolophus, Lambeosaurus)
-Large plant-eating herbivores, these creatures are most-commonly seen as "prey species" to large dinosaur predators. Despite this, some of them are VERY large, and far beyond the limits of most sentiens to kill unless they have large numbers. Once Dinosaurs became more common on Castellia, it became a quirk of the wealthy class to own one or two of these creaturse (typically a flashier-coloured Hadrosaur with a large crest) as a "house pet" of sorts.

Pterosaurs (Pterodactylus, Rhamphorhynchus)
Pterosaurs (Pteranodons, Quetzalcoatlus)
-Pterosaurs vary greatly in power, and make large migrations, which results in them being some of the more widespread Dinosaurs in the world in terms of range. Most Castellia citizens have seen a flock of these fly by. Some people (particularly the Beldarans and their makeshift "Air Cavalry" protecting their mountainous home) have trained them as large mounts. Though less powerful and intelligent in general than Giant Eagles, they are more numerous, and less strong-willed.

Mammal-Like Reptiles (Dimetrodon, Gorgonops)
-These are very rare creatures, and are not often seen, having been overwhelmed by more powerful creatures.

Aquatic (Ophthalmosaurus, Elasmosaurus)
Aquatic (Tylosaurus, Liopleurodon)
-The vast seas of the planet are home to numerous huge creatures, and few are more terrifying than these. Liopleurodon & Tylosaurus rival the Zeuglodon & the Sperm Whale as terrors of the seas- it is common for many Great Lord-type villains of the seas to have one of these creatures as a "pet" monster. Cities of Undersea peoples frequently train the smaller creatures (Ichtyosaurs in general) as pets, Animal Companions or Guards (though Dolphins & Orca are much more popular and common, as are Sharks). Elasmosaurs have found their way into some land-dwellers' deepest lakes, resulting in legendary "Lake Monster" sightings.

Ceratopsians (Protoceratops, Styracosaurus)
Ceratopsians (Pentaceratops, Triceratops)
-Similar to the Hadrosaur group, these plant-eaters are popular status symbols, but their ferocity and dangerous horns makes them much less common in such roles. Their fabled toughness and battle-hardiness makes them popular symbols of the Gallean Masked Knights, many of whom actually use the beasts as War-Mounts. Armoured Triceratops and other Ceratopsians are rare, but still common enough to be a regular sight to some people.

Sauropods (Plateosaurus, Europasaurus)
Sauropods (Saltasaurus, Mamenchisaurus, Diplodocus)
Sauropods (Brontosaurus, Brachiosaurus)
Sauropods (Argentinosaurus)
-Sauropods are the largest of all Dinosaurs, and take up a dominant herbivorous role in Dinosaur Valley, the Southlands and any other place they inhabit. Their huge bodies require a travelling lifestyle, and full-size adults are so strong than no creature other than Rocs or Dragons would dare take them on.

Carnosaurs (Carnotaurus, Allosaurus)
Carnosaurs (Tyrannosaurus Rex, Charcharodontosaurus)
Carnosaurs (Giganotosaurus, Spinosaurus)
Carnosaurs (Ultimasaurus)
Carnosaurs (Calvinosaurus)
-These massive Theropods are the Kings of Beasts- no land-based Animal predator is larger than the T-Rex... save the legendary Calvinosaurus, which is so rare that most suspect it is merely a fable, and doesn't actually exist. Carnosaurs are the most popular "War Monster", but are rare because most races lack the ability to control them, as they are both less intelligent and tameable than Chimerae or Manticores, and very dangerous in their own right. Most leaders settle for merely using them as Guard Beasts.
Jabroniville

White Worm

Post by Jabroniville »

This creature heavily resembles an Earthworm with massive pincer-like jaws, except that it is longer than a house, pure white in colour, and could swallow you whole.

WHITE WORM
Role:
Giant Arctic Apex Predator, Magical Beast
PL 11 (157)- Minion Rank 16, Sidekick Rank 32
Normal Version:
PL 9-10
STRENGTH 11 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 4 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 13 (+10, +15 Size)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 6 (+7, -4 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Extraodinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Extended Infravision) [6]
"Tremorsense" Senses 4 (Accurate Touch- Ranged 2) [4]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Huge Burrowing Speed" Burrowing 10 (60 mph) (10) -- [11]
  • AE: Speed 5 (60 mph) (6)
"Arctic Predator"
Immunity 6 (Cold Environment & Damage) [6]
Enhanced Skills 16: Stealth 16 (+11 Size) (Flaws: Limited to Arctic Conditions) [4]
Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic, Slithering) [4]

"Natural Size" Growth 11 (Str & Sta +11, +11 Mass, +5 Intimidation, -5 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -11 Stealth) -- (42 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [23]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 9) [11]

"Ice Breath" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) Linked to Affliction 10 (Strength; Hindered & Prone/Immobile & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2, Cumulative) (38.5) -- [39.5]
  • AE: "Area Attack" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Teeth +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Area Attack +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Ice Breath +9 Area (+9 Affliction & Damage, DC 19 & 24)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +12 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +13, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- White Worms cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 39--19.5 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 107.5 / Defenses: 21 (157)

Era: Fantasy Worlds
b]Range:[/b] Arctic Wastelands
Colouring: White, flecks of gray
Size: Up to 60 feet long (7-20 tons)
Encounter Groups: Solitary
Diet: Humans, Giants, any arctic creatures
Tactics: Lashing out with limbs & teeth, using incredible force.

-White Worms (occasionally called "Frost Worms") are among the most titanic Northern predators- it can burrow through ice at shocking speed, and catch people unawares despite it's size. They are the stuff of legend, but horrifyingly real. Few would ever dare attempt to hunt or even tame them, and it is a point of pride for a Frost Giant leader to have a few as Guardian Beasts.

Jab's Notes: White Worms are basically my variation of the Remorhaz/Purple Worm/Frost Worm-type creatures that are all over the place in the D&D books- those guys REALLY like their elongated super-snakey-worm-ice things for some reason. It combines a few aspects, a Breath Weapon (I never liked Cold Damage by itself- Ice-stuff DEMANDS to have a Snare-effect! My Comics Nerd self demands it!), Snake-like motions, grappling power, extreme speed, super-senses and incredible Stealth for such a huge creature to make for a TERRIFYING opponent. It's equal to a Sperm Whale, Zeuglodon or T-Rex in overall power, though can be fought in smaller forms if necessary.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:35 am
Spectrum wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 pm Thanks for the neogi and umber hulks. The combination comes from the Starjammer setting. Why am I not surprised that my three favorite 2nd ed D&D are on many peoples hate list: Dark Sun, Starjammer and Planescape?
Are they hated? My old roommate WORSHIPED Dark Sun, going on and on about how fantastic it was, because it changed the inherent concepts of D&D. Starjammer I can see as being controversial, but was probably just D&D trying to corner the Sci-Fi market, too. What was Planescape like?
Planescape- take the standard Outer (Alignment) Planes, put them in a Great Wheel. Put Sigil, the City of Doors, in the middle of it. Make the inhabitants all kinds of strange species from anywhere.. put them in the Georgian/Charles Dickens environment with a strange language and a host of gangs that would make White Wolf proud. Planescape in a nutshell berk. Most people know it for the very well written Planescape Torment computer rpg.

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.