Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Nitro

Post by Jabroniville »

NITRO (Robert Hunter)
Created By:
Jim Starlin & Steve Englehart
First Appearance: Captain Marvel #34 (Sept. 1974)
Role: Mid-Tier Villain
PL 11 (131)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+4)
Technology 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Blast Punch), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Explode & Reform"
"Living Bomb" Damage 11 (Extras: 120ft. Burst +3) (Quirks: Not Every Round -2) (42) -- [44]
  • AE: "Hand Blast" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Quirks: Not Every Round -2) (20)
  • AE: "Blast Punch" Strength-Damage +9 (9)
"Gaseous State" Insubstantial 2 (Flaws: Unreliable- 1-2 Rounds At a Time, Limited to After Exploding) [6]
Features 1: May Spend a Hero Point to Increase Area Effects' Range [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Area Attacks +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Blast Punch +8 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Power Loss (Explosions)- Though Nitro can explode easily, anything that prevents him from reforming will prevent him from exploding again. If a portion of his body is kept apart from the rest, he will become trapped and unable to reform. He can also not explode indiscriminately- when Iron Man controlled him to explode repeatedly, he passed out from the strain.
Reputation (The Stamford Killer)- Not only are several heroes gunning for the guy due to killing a few of The New Warriors, Nitro is hunted by the general public, and the people of Atlantis.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 12 (131)

-Straight outta Scranton, Pennsylvania, Nitro had some experiments forced upon him by the Kree, and of course then became an evil super-villain opposing Captain Marvel. A low-level villain, he was nonetheless responsible for Mar-Vell developing his rare form of cancer- one of his Blasts blew up a canister containing some carcinogenic gases, poisoning the hero and dooming him to a long death. Despite being responsible for the death of a great hero, he was basically used as a Villain Whore, generally pairing off with every hero in the Marvel Universe at least once. His opponents included Omega the Unknown, Spider-Man, Skids (his body could not re-form inside Skids' Force Field), Iron Man, and more.

-He was generally under-utilized until the opening portion of Marvel's giga-event Civil War- teaming up with a group of forgotten super-villains, he was attacked by The New Warriors, and since his powers were hopped-up by super-drugs, he exploded with MUCH more force than normal, killing six-hundred people (including sixty children) and the heroes Namorita, Night Thrasher & Microbe. The idea of some under-trained kids going up against lethal super-villains in a public space ended up being the spark that ignited the Superhuman Registration Act, causing the Civil War. He escaped punishment at first, but was soon maimed by Wolverine and imprisoned by Namor for his crimes (since Namorita was his cousin). He has since popped up in mostly background scenes (with Penance/Speedball punishing him once more for Stamford), as despite having the one-two punch of having been responsible for killing FOUR super-heroes (making him more deadly than Doctor Doom, Magneto, Apocalypse and the Kingpin combined, if you wear tights), he still has zero character beyond "villain who blows up", so nobody really feels like using him.

-Nitro has a very high-powered Area Effect (if boosted, it can be INSANELY powerful, since it takes over such a large range- the one at the start of Civil War was HUGE and more strong enough to one-shot Namorita (who's pretty tough). He doesn't have much else to him, and his power is easily-nullified by a smart character- pretty much the #1 most-common way Nitro loses is somebody prevents him from reforming, like quickly trapping his gaseous after-form in something before he can regenerate.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Ero! Screwball! Freedom's 5! Numinus! Night Nurse!)

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:49 pm
Ares wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:56 am Night Nurse is an excellent example of worldbuilding, tho. I mean, if you think about it, every superhero without either the resources for their own medical treatment (Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark) or some kind of healing ability would eventually need medical treatment for injuries most doctors would have to report to the police. And it also makes sense that some medical practitioners would admire superheroes for the lives they save. So having one or more of them being a part of a ring of doctors who take care of superheroes off the books makes a lot of sense. Some settings like Empowered even go so far as to have specific hospitals set up for superpowered beings, simply because their health requirements are so unique.
Cecelia Reyes would be perfect in that role, her force field would even protect her from any negative effects of her patients powers.
Huh- that's a good point. Reyes is critically under-used, too- though a largely Non-Combatant superpowered person isn't in high demand for most books, she'd be ideal for the job.
M4C8 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:07 pm His daughter Clare (Who looked far too young to be his daughter given his advanced age) took up the Iron Cross mantle and physically merged with her armour when her Inhuman abilities emerged.
Yeah, I read up on her, and she's one of the many NuHumans. And yet another strange example of what happens when you extend the lives of everyone who was active in the Golden Age. Like Cyclone being the college-aged daughter of people who were children in the early 1940s, or the ENTIRE HOWLING COMMANDOS somehow looking only middle-aged since 1960 or so.
Jabroniville

Deb Whitman

Post by Jabroniville »

DEB WHITMAN (Debra Whitman)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Al Milgrom
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man #196 (Sept. 1979)
Role: Temporary Love Interest
Supporting Cast Ranking: E-List
Group Affiliations: None
PL 0 (4), PL 1 (4) Saves
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Secretary) 4 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +1

Complications:
Disabled (Insight)- Debra tends to see the best in people- even when there is none there. This causes her to just assume that Peter Parker is Spider-Man, and that her abusive husband is a great guy.

Total: Abilities: 0 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (4)

-Deb Whitman was one of the "Post-Mary Jane" girls that Peter dated, debuting in 1979, after MJ walked out on him after rejecting his marriage proposal. She was the secretary of the Biophysics Department and Empire State University, Peter's school, and started obsessing over Pete a bit. A bit of a weirdo, she idealized people and often inverted their values- this prevented her from speaking out against her abusive husband. She began to suspect that Peter was Spider-Man, but when he confessed, the shock made her come to her senses. She left New York to finally divorce her rotten husband. And that was basically it for Deb Whitman, who really comes off like kind of a loon. I haven't read many comics featuring her, but I recall her coming off a bit like a humorless nerdy-looking girl, which is actually kind of an interesting sort of girl for Peter to date (Gwen's drama queen act & MJ's party girl thing being very opposite to that). I seem to remember some kind of mini-fanbase for her (or at least that era of the book).

-She briefly appeared post-Civil War, writing a "Tell-All" book about Peter, now that his secret identity was public knowledge, but it was just a minor bit. She actually got WAY more play in the 1990s cartoon series, acting as a very smart girl who dated Flash Thompson, and a bit of a friendly rivalry with Peter. Ya know, I think THAT'S the Deb Whitman I'm remembering. She certainly would have statted up better (she was Pete's equal in intelligence, pretty much). Regular Deb is just a Secretary Bystander.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Numinus! Night Nurse! Redshirt! New Sun! Nitro!)

Post by Jabroniville »

So why is Deb Whitman being posted in the middle of the "N" guys? Well, because I apparently neglected to re-post her along with all the OTHER Spider-Man characters. I only discovered this while making a total list of the "builds to do" for each letter of the alphabet (I'm not on the spectrum shut up), realizing that my old "Deb Whitman & Liz Allan" entry no longer applied, but that I'd only posted a "Liz Allan" as a replacement build. So here's Deb! Good ol'... mostly-uninteresting... Deb Whitman.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

haha- looking at ancient builds is a kick. Checking up on some 2010-era 2nd Edition builds, I find my Mega Man stuff (which lasts a couple of weeks) gets commented on by only a single poster (I used to notice that back in the day- certain sets would draw in posters I didn't know... and then they'd disappear once those builds were over)- a guy called Man Called True. And then right at the end I get comments from Taliesin, Thorp, Arkrite, Luke and even DAVIES. Hell, I didn't know you'd been around that long, Davies- you pre-date me by two years!

It's just funny that like... the same group of people have been around these forums for so long.

Tragically, many of the Sig Pics of the era have been eaten alive by the PhotoBucket Screwjob- Taliesin's & Luke's are now lost to the dust.

And I found an infamous post for me: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 7c#p663464

Why is this such a big deal to me? Because for some reason, this random-ass post (by a guy who only joined the forum to comment on this random picture of DC heroes and arabic characters) came out of nowhere, threatened to distract people (MY THREAD? Have an OFF-TOPIC DISCUSSION? Can you imagine?), and generally made we way angrier than seems reasonable looking back at it today. But I was like, legit furious that somebody would just randomly interject into my thread with something so dumb. Though it seems clear the guy didn't speak English as a first language.
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds! (Wrecking Crew! WildPride! White Tigers! Wraiths!)

Post by drkrash »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:54 pm so yeah, like I said, this next little batch of characters were created thanks to an email exchange between me and Dr. Krash (ugh don't like typing "drkrash" so I'm anglicizing it :)), creator of the Fight! RPG (the best translation of fighting game mechanics into RPG terms), who pointed out that his son had found a small handful of Spider-Man-related characters I'd yet to stat. I threw them into The List for later application, but I figured since he's been a solid poster, I'd just put them all out right away!

It turns out most of them are Spider-Man characters from around the same time- I'm thinking his son was reading a couple years' worth of books- around the time Dan Slott was doing "Monster of the Week" tales, before giving up and doing standard "modern" stories again.
My son told me that all of these characters came from DK Publishing's Spider-Man Character Encyclopedia. We love those DK books; I have loads of them.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Screwball! Numinus! Night Nurse! Redshirt!)

Post by Ken »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:20 am Man, I love Redshirt and the MILF. They should be featured in every book at some point.
A MILF representative should be in every book.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Nanny

Post by Jabroniville »

NANNY II (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Louise & Walter Simonson
First Appearance: X-Factor #30 (July 1988)
Role: Creepy Villain
PL 10 (162)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Science) 10 (+16)
Insight 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Technology 10 (+16)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Giant Aircraft With Teleporters & Stuff), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Nanny Cybernetic Array"
"Pixie Dust" Affliction 8 (Will; Fatigued/Stunned/Controlled) (Extras: Cumulative, Progressive +2) (32) -- [36]
  • AE: "Holographic Projector" Illusion 8 (24)
  • AE: "Machine Pistol" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)
  • AE: "Rockets" Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: Teleport 8 (16)
"Jetpack" Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
"Respulsor Field" Force Field 8 [8]
"Telescoping Arms" Elongation 2 (Flaws: Limited to Arms) [1]
"Telepathic Shielding" Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Pixie Dust +4 (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Machine Pistol & Rockets +8 (+5-8 Ranged Damage, DC 20-23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+12 Force Field), Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant & Cyborg)- Nanny is three feet tall and trapped in a cybernetic harness.
Motivation (Abducting & Controlling Children)- For their own good, Nanny wants to take care of the mutant children of the world, often having their parents killed to do so. She will also transform adult mutants into children to control THEM as well.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 77 / Defenses: 12 (162)

-Nanny II is similar to the Robotic first one (a minion of Magneto's), but is based around grabbing up mutant children and forming little armies of them- she was a good-natured scientist working for The Right, and was sealed into a mechanical "egg" when she rejected their Anti-Mutant nature- she was left mentally unbalanced by the experience, and thus began gathering mutant children. She kidnapped Jean Grey's neice & nephew, among others.

-Since it's from the Simonson era of X-Factor, I'm assuming the stories aren't very good, but Claremont used her as well. Her stories tend to be unpleasant, and feature parents being killed and children being taken away. She's also responsible for the death of Ricochet's mother in Slingers, and turned Storm into a child for a while in X-Men (this was undone during the X-Tinction Agenda), which is what allowed her to finally gain her powers back after Forge had de-powered her YEARS earlier. This is presumably due to having incredible technology and genius at her disposal, though it's often not quite clear- the writers just like being creepy with her. Green Lantern villain Kryb would later take this to a whole NEW level of disturbing, and was a much more successful character- Nanny is just too goofy. It leads to a lot of dumb stories where the heroes regress to infantile behavior (or Chris Claremont's weird thing with Body Horror/Transformations), and the character isn't terribly interesting, even if her backstory is a bit tragic.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Orphan-Maker

Post by Jabroniville »

ORPHAN-MAKER (Peter)
Created By:
Louise & Walter Simonson
First Appearance: X-Factor #31 (Aug. 1988)
Role: Creepy Villain, Super-Minion
PL 11 (135)
STRENGTH
3/9 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Big Gun- Blast 8), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Orphan Maker Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [69]
Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Protection 10 (Extras: Impervious 7) (17)
"Jet Pack" Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) (20)

"Clouds of Glory Dust" Affliction 8 (Strength; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Vulnerable/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud, Extra Condition) (24) -- (25)
  • AE: "Screening Unit" Affliction 6 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (18)
-- (86 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Orphan Maker Armour +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Gun +10 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Clouds of Glory +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Screening Unit +10 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+14 Armour), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Nanny)- Orphan Maker does Nanny's bidding, after she saved him from one of Mister Sinister's culls at an orphanage he controlled.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 69 / Defenses: 4 (135)

-Orphan-Maker is Nanny's minion, and is actually PL 11, owing to a highly-durable Armoured Suit that renders him invulnerable to many attacks. Intellectually, he is still a child, but he's shrugged off Cyclops' Optic Beam like it was nothing in the past, and has some nasty powers that can mess with heroes' powers and defenses, so watch out.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Lost Boys & Girls

Post by Jabroniville »

THE LOST BOYS & GIRLS
Created By:
Louise Simonson & Terry Shoemaker
First Appearance: X-Factor #35 (Dec. 1988)
Role: Kidnapped Super-Kids

-This squad of kids were used in a single X-Factor story, where Orphan-Maker and Nanny II mind-controlled some mutant children into doing her robotic bidding. Listed on the team but without powers (possibly they might have had Super-Strength or Telekinesis, being Greys and all) were Joey & Gailyn Bailey, the children of Jean Grey's sister Sara. These characters would basically vanish forever, not showing up after Sara was killed in a later storyline. I was only going to build this "Big Top" character at first, but it turns out she was part of this huge stable of characters, including some recurring villains I'd never build before, so I ended up having to build Nanny, Orphan-Maker and the other Lost Boys & Girls. THANKS, MARVEL.

BIG TOP
PL 0 (3)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
None

Advantages:
None

Powers:
Summon Giant Teddy Bear 3 (Extras: Heroic +2) (Flaws: Source- Teddy Bear) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: -6 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 0 (3)

GIANT TEDDY BEAR
PL 7 (45)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 8 (+6, +10 Size)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Stuffed Bear" Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
"Only Stuffing" Toughness -5 [-10]
Growth 9 (Str & Toughness +9, +9 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -9 Stealth) -- (30 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [19]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +4, Fortitude --, Will -1

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: -8 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 8 (45)

MONITOR (Tammy Blake)
PL 0 (2)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
None

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Monitors Life Signs"
Senses 8 (Detect Life & Powers- Ranged, Acute, Analytical) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: -6 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 0 (2)

SPEEDFREAK (Sheila Blake)
PL 2 (9)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
None

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Super-Speed"
Speed 6 (120 mph) [6]
Quickness 6 [6]
Enhanced Advantages 3: Evasion, Improved Initiative 2 [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 2 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 4 (21)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Ero! Screwball! Freedom's 5! Numinus! Night Nurse!)

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:40 am
M4C8 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:49 pm
Ares wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:56 am Night Nurse is an excellent example of worldbuilding, tho. I mean, if you think about it, every superhero without either the resources for their own medical treatment (Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark) or some kind of healing ability would eventually need medical treatment for injuries most doctors would have to report to the police. And it also makes sense that some medical practitioners would admire superheroes for the lives they save. So having one or more of them being a part of a ring of doctors who take care of superheroes off the books makes a lot of sense. Some settings like Empowered even go so far as to have specific hospitals set up for superpowered beings, simply because their health requirements are so unique.
Cecelia Reyes would be perfect in that role, her force field would even protect her from any negative effects of her patients powers.
Huh- that's a good point. Reyes is critically under-used, too- though a largely Non-Combatant superpowered person isn't in high demand for most books, she'd be ideal for the job.
M4C8 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:07 pm His daughter Clare (Who looked far too young to be his daughter given his advanced age) took up the Iron Cross mantle and physically merged with her armour when her Inhuman abilities emerged.
Yeah, I read up on her, and she's one of the many NuHumans. And yet another strange example of what happens when you extend the lives of everyone who was active in the Golden Age. Like Cyclone being the college-aged daughter of people who were children in the early 1940s, or the ENTIRE HOWLING COMMANDOS somehow looking only middle-aged since 1960 or so.
I've always been surprised at just how many WW2 era heroes are still operating in the modern era (Although most of them are rarely seen) whether it be through longevity, suspended animation or time travel.
Apparently Cecelia Reyes is one of the characters that's going to be in the New Mutants movie, played by Alice Braga.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

You mentioned that you wanted to do a Monster section sometime soon. Were you thinking of including the new(ish) Howling Commandos?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Network

Post by Jabroniville »

NETWORK III (Valerie Martin)
Created By:
Paul Jenkins & Ramon Bachs
First Appearance: Civil War: Front Line
Role: Forgotten Character

-Network appears to be a one-off, and shares a name with a New Universe character, and one of the forgotten X-Students. She had the cybernetic ability to connect herself to the internet, and tries to help out the resistants during Civil War before being captured. She appears to have not shown up again.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:49 pm You mentioned that you wanted to do a Monster section sometime soon. Were you thinking of including the new(ish) Howling Commandos?
Both Warwolves, yes. I should check the whole roster, now that I think about it.
Jabroniville

Nekra

Post by Jabroniville »

Seriously -- WHAT IS KEEPING THAT ON??

NEKRA (Nekra Sinclair)
Created By:
Steve Gerber & Ross Andru
First Appearance: Shanna the She-Devil #5 (Aug. 1973)
Role: Jobber Villain, Slutty Dresser
Group Affiliations: The Black Spectre, The Lethal Legion
PL 10 (145)
STRENGTH
1/8 STAMINA 2/7 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills: 
Deception 6 (+10)
Expertise (Arcane Lore & Spellcraft) 8 (+9)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+10)
Insight 6 (+8)
Intimidation 7 (+11)
Perception 6 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+6)
Stealth 5 (+10)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Attractive, Distract (Intimidate), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ritualist, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Rage-Based Enhancements"
Speed 3 (8 mph) [3]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Immunity 2 (Heat, Cold) [2]

"Rage-Based Attributes"
Enhanced Strength 7 [14]
Enhanced Stamina 5 [10]
Power-Lifting 1 (12 tons) [1]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 7) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications: 
Power Loss (All Powers)- Nekra needs to be angry to use all of her powers. This is far less of a weakness than The Hulk (who specifically needs to be Raging), since she's nearly always angry, but a successful Persuasion or Control effect could calm her down and drop all of her Powers to nothing. She will also lose her abilities after about an hour of straight use.
Prejudice (Appearance)- An albino, Nekra is quite odd-looking, and stands out in a crowd, even WITHOUT the most Stripperific outfit in history.
Relationship (The Mandrill)- The Mandrill & Nekra are very close to the point of siblings, and will avenge each other if necessary.
Relationship (The Grim Reaper)- Nekra is the Reaper's love-slave, and has constantly attempted to return him from the dead. Despite this, he really doesn't love her.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 12 (145)

-Nekra debuted after her partner, The Mandrill, packing a similar origin story, but in reverse: Nekra was born to a black family, but had chalk-white skin (plus fangs)- said to be an albino, though she had black hair. A Mutant, she was loathed by her parents and her community, and ran away to the desert, where she found the Mandrill. His pheromone powers, and her ability to empower herself whenever she was angry, allowed them to survive. She & Mandrill formed the Black Spectre organization after years on the run (scavenging and looting), and faced Shanna the She-Devil in the early days- they were even responsible for killing her father! Eventually, Nekra is abandoned by her partner, and captured by Daredevil, Shanna and the Black Widow.

-Subsequently, Nekra splits off from the Mandrill, and becomes a bit of a Journeyman Villain, as of course Shanna's book failed and the character disappeared. She appears in some Vision and the Scarlet Witch issues as the lover of the Grim Reaper (and partner of Black Talon)- when the Reaper dies in combat, she reanimates him so well that even HE does not realize that he's dead! However, when her love for him overpowers her hatred for others, her spell loses power. She later fights Spider-Man, Henry Py, and Alpha Flight. After a brief affair with Mister Hyde (ew), she reanimates the Reaper once more, with the caveat that he must kill one person every 24 hours to keep on going. His first victim? Nekra.

-Nekra is later reanimated by Daimon Hellstrom, who uses her to spy on Doctor Druid, whom she later kills with a bullet through the forehead. This leads to her basically vanishing for a number of years, though she retains her powers after M-Day. She loses to the Loners in the Runaways book, and joins the Reaper's new Lethal Legion, but is betrayed by him- they were set up to job to Norman Osborn's "Dark Avengers". We also discover that she has a daughter named "Death Reaper", but she is later killed during Chaos War when a reanimated Vision explodes.

-Nekra is thus a fairly weird character- primarily used for her distinct appearance (smokin' hot pasty nudist) rather than her pretty generic powers (Hulk Lite), and as one of Marvel's few really interesting-looking Female Villains. Her uncomfortable, weird link to The Mandrill has been forgotten for ages, as he's gone in a different Jobber Villain direction, and she's usually paired off with the loser Grim Reaper instead. But WOW, that look- her costume is quite possibly the skankiest in all of comics, and SCREAMS "1970s" for how skin-baring it is- the relaxing of the Comics Code unleashed a lot of women like this- bearing uber-cleavage or whatever whack-off fantasies the artists had. It kind of helped turn comics from "that thing for kids" to "that thing for young adult perverted nerds"

-Nekra's a PL 10 Scrapper compared to the Controlling Mandrill, having high physical abilities across the board, as well as pretty decent accuracy. Working side-by-side with Mandrill and his pheromone manipulation, they can make a pretty deadly team. She's shown magical abilities in the comics, but they all come from getting ingredients and casting spells over vats of steaming whatever, so she can't whip out zapping spells, make zombies, or teleport on the fly like anyone with the "Magic" power can- it's all Arcane Lore & preparation, useless in battle- she CAN create Zombies, but only via craft, not Power. Her key weakness is that she has to be angry to use any of her powers- with her low Will Save, a hero with their own Emotion powers would finish her but good.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.