Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Nebulon

Post by Jabroniville »

My captions couldn't one-up this one. Not going to try.

NEBULON, THE CELESTIAL MAN (Presumably has some alien real name)
Created By:
Len Wein & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Defenders #13 (May 1974)
Role: Recurring Foe (for The Defenders), Weird Alien, Cult Leader
Group Affiliations: The Ul'lula'ns
PL 10 (180)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Deception 3 (+7)
Expertise (Philosophy) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Extraterrestrial Traveler) 3 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+9)
Insight 2 (+6)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Technology 4 (+9)
Vehicles 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 5, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Ul'lula'n Physiology"
"Underwater Creature"
Immunity 2 (Drowning, Pressure) [2]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Underwater) [2]
Swimming 6 (30 mph) [6]
"Six Limbs" Extra Limbs 2 [2]
"10 foot Size" Elongation 3 [3]

"Energy Manipulation"
Blast 12 (Feats: Split) (25) -- [28]
  • AE: Create 12 (24)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (6)
  • AE: Teleport 17 (500 miles) (Extras: Extended- 16,000 miles) (Flaws: Distracting, Standard Action) (17)
"Energy Shield" Force Field 4 (Extras: Impervious 10) (Flaws: Immobile -2) [11]
Morph 3 (Flaws: Tiring) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Blast +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8 (+12 Force Field), Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Preparing Earth)- Nebulon's mission is to prepare Earth for a takeover by his Ul'lula'n people.
Involuntary Transformation (Human)- Nebulon will lose all of his powers if he is without contact with a biospheric energy source (ie. a planet) for a long period of time.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 66 / Defenses: 9 (180)

-Nebulon (requested by Horsenhero long-ago for the old Think Tank forum) is a typically-strange Defenders villain- an alien squid-thing that took humanoid form, he showed up on Earth to terraform (well, aquaform, really) the planet to make it a suitable habitat for his people. Shapeshifting into a bizarre Golden God-type dealie, he did some stuff, and made multiple attempts at taking over the world, at one point using The Squadron Sinister as his allies. He ran through several issues- including some where he formed a cult based off of 1970s fad-religions after taking to heart some alien beings' advice to help others (in his cult, all men had to admit that "we're all bozos!" and wear clown masks). He ultimately faded away and died after fighting alongside the Avengers (in order to drain their energies to power his cult or whatevs), sacrificing himself to protect his mate Supernalia, who also died (she committed suicide because she felt it was bad to be manipulating The Defenders into fighting The Avengers to stop her husband). Just a bizarre case of Marvel in the 1970s being weird.

-Nebulon's a pricey PL 10. I had to ask Horsenhero which level he was seen to be at, and he defined him as "probably PL 10 in Jab write-ups" (hee-hee, I laugh at the sound of that- though Horsenhero says that it's better than some guys who build even Jobbers like the Wrecking Crew as PL 12s). He's enough to challenge The Defenders in his debut, and The Avengers (with some help) later on, and his Blasts are enough to "stagger the Hulk". He's got some of the benefits of Growth (namely Reach), but he doesn't really need the actual power, as it doesn't affect his stats either way (he's just as strong in his regular form).
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Night Nurse! Redshirt! Nitro! Nekra & Mandrill!)

Post by Spectrum »

I'm vaguely remembering a cute yellow aquatic alien girl from Marvel. Was she related somehow to Nebulon?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Horsenhero

Re: Jab's Builds! (Night Nurse! Redshirt! Nitro! Nekra & Mandrill!)

Post by Horsenhero »

Spectrum wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:22 pm I'm vaguely remembering a cute yellow aquatic alien girl from Marvel. Was she related somehow to Nebulon?
The only "cute, aquatic, yellow alien" I recall is Marina of Alpha Flight and she's a member of the Plodex. Not related to Nebulon at all...or at least not yet.
Jabroniville

Necrodamus

Post by Jabroniville »

NECRODAMUS
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: Defenders #1 (Aug. 1972)
Role: Magical Minion
Group Affiliations: Various Masters
PL 5 (115), PL 10 (115) Powered-Up
STRENGTH
1/14 STAMINA 3/14 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -1

Skills: 
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+12)
Intimidation 4 (+3)
Perception 4 (+6)

Advantages: 
Ritualist

Powers:
"Low-End Mage"
"Impenetrable Barrier" Create 12 (Extras: Impervious) (36) -- [38]
AE: Mind Control 7 (28)
AE: Teleport 10 (20)

"Youthful Form" (All Have Flaws: Must Sacrifice/Defeat Powerful Being First)
Enhanced Strength 13 [13]
Enhanced Stamina 11 [11]
Impervious Toughness 8 [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Powered-Up +6 (+14 Damage, DC 30)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3 (+14 Powered-Up), Fortitude +3 (+15 Powered-Up), Will +3

Complications: 
Power Loss (Lack of Souls/Masters' Will)- Necrodamus depends on his masters- The Undying Ones- for his powers, and his ability to sacrifice souls to them.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 64 / Defenses: 7 (115)

-Necrodamus is a pathetic worm of a man- a shriveled-up sort who slobbers over his great Godly masters in order to gain more power. A classic snivelling toady, he works for The Undying Ones, and a common schtick is to defeat a superhero and gain a youthful, powerful form as a result. One time, it was Namor, and another time it was Agatha Harkness. Both times, he was defeated (the Defenders held him off long enough for a spell's time to end, and The Scarlet Witch- then just a magical trainee- sent out a powerful Hex that swept him up in a maelstrom). Later, he appeared to fight Wanda and her husband, The Vision, forcing Vision to allow Necrodamus' spirit to inhabit his body- he burned his disgusting old one in response. However, this being a Marvel Team-Up issue, Spider-Man got involved, and Wanda strengthened Vision's soul, forcing Necrodamus out- the villain chose to die rather than inhabit the next-closest being, a puppy.

-He would reappear as a minion of N'astirh (of Inferno fame) in Fantastic Four, kidnapping Mantis (yeah, in an FF story. Guess who was writing? Go on, try.), but the FF & Kang (??) forced the planet Mercury out of alignment with the others, ruining Necrodamus' spell and sending his soul into dissipation again.

-Necrodamus is a pretty weak goon most of the time, working in the shadows and taking on people in sneak attacks. However, on two occasions he's grown to a Hulk-like form that's much more dangerous (a PL 10 Powerhouse). Much of the time, though, he's just a go-between for more-powerful masters.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Nocturne (The Forgotten One)

Post by Jabroniville »

NOCTURNE I (Angela Cairne)
Created By:
J.M. DeMatteis & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Spectacular Spider-Man #190 (July 1992)
Role: Forgotten Character, Bat-Lady
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (102)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Police Officer) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)

Advantages: 
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Bat Lady"
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
"Animal Senses" Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Echolocation" Senses 4 (Extended, Ultra & Accurate Hearing) [4]

"Prehensile Hair"
Extra Limbs 2 [2]
Enhanced Advantages 3: Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Hold [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications: 
Disabled (Mute)- Nocturne can no longer speak.
Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)- Nocturne has big bat wings.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 9 (102)

-Nocturne (there are a LOT of Marvel characters named this, as it turns out- a forgotten Generation X villain, the Exiles's Sexy Nightcrawler Girl, and some one-off Night Raven successor named "Graham Gray Poldark" who was later removed from continuity) is a minor character in the early '90s Spidey books that ended up being forgotten- she was transformed by a mutate of Baron Zemo into a mute bat-winged lady. She faced Spider-Man a few times, cared for the Puma, and then disappeared for good, while other characters used the name... which, truth be told, is a very good name for a female character- mysterious, pretty and involves the night.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horsenhero

Re: Jab's Builds! (Redshirt! Nitro! Nekra & Mandrill! Nocturne!)

Post by Horsenhero »

A Bat-Lady with prehensile hair? Weird.
Jabroniville

NFL Superpro

Post by Jabroniville »

Dear God... I need that toy.

NFL SUPERPRO (Phil Grayfield)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Jose Delbo
First Appearance: NFL Superpro Special Edition #1 (Sept. 1991)
Role: The Worst Hero of All-Time
Group Affiliations: The National Football League
PL 7 (93)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Deception 1 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Football Player) 7 (+12) -- (Uses Agility)
Expertise (Reporter) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Great Endurance, Equipment (SuperPro Suit- Protection +2), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Move-By Action

Powers:
"Slightly Enhanced Physique"
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+6 Costume), Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Ex-NFL Superstar)- Phil Grayfield was a superstar football player, and losing this aspect of his life still hurts.
Motivation (Justice)- Superpro fights evil on behalf of football players everywhere, or something. He is especially disgusted by drugs.
Enemy (Marco Sanzionare)- This Poor Man's Lex Luthor (hell, he's a Poor Man's Fifth-Stringer Evil Rich Iron Man Foe) was behind many of SuperPro's early adventures, and then chose to mess with him again later.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 12 (93)

-Hahah, SUPERPRO. Fabian Nicieza has since admitted he only worked on this character to get free NFL tickets, and he was created by some assortment of NFL people & Marvel staffers, and it shows, having created one of the most famously bad comic books in history (Nicieza insists it was meant for a YOUNG audience- not the one that came to read comics). He had a brief 12-issue run (still too much for this crap), having cliched fight scenes, groan-inducing football-related puns in mid-fight ("How about an autograph?" *PUNCH*/ "Okay, I give!" "No- you RECIEVED. A POUNDING, that is!"), a really goofy-looking costume, and a bunch of guest-stars (Spider-Man in issue #1- even though usually he only showed up in book #2. Sales were expected to be so crappy they needed a boost in the FIRST issue!) to make him seem less lame. He was a football player hobbled by injuries who got doused in some Generic Experimental Comic-Book Chemicals (tm), became a peak human guy, wearing some elite football uniform (created by a guy who was a huge football fan and an eccentric scientist) that was super-tough. His only recurring villain was a generic "Sleazy 80s Millionaire Crimelord" Marco Sanzionare, and "named" super-villains include a football-player-turned-NINJA by the name of "Quick Kick". It's kind of stupidly amusing, like a really crappy movie, at times, and I have several of these awful, awful issues.

-Nobody in these books seems to be trying very hard- Nicieza, normally a good writer, gives us Quick Kick the football-player-turned-ninja, and Instant Replay- a guy who somehow makes being a Time Travelling Assassin boring- Quick Kick even goes by the WRONG NAME at one point! Buzz Dixon, who takes over much of the book later on, writes in garbage like The Head Hunters (evil failed football players who play an illegal game against real-life NFLers they've kidnapped) and The Happy Campers (normal guys with silly powers). He even pissed off the Hopi nation by writing some Hopi fundamentalists as bad guys in one book.

-Unsurprisingly, the character faded away into obscurity, and now that the NFL won't license its name out to this kind of crap, we'll probably never see him again. Robert Kirkman wasn't even allowed to use him in his Marvel Team-Up run- instead, he had to have Stilt-Man refer to him in the past tense ("I beat up a guy called SuperPro last week- silliest looking guy..."). Me, I kinda wish they'd "Catman" him into a legit, awesome threat, just to see the look on supervillains' faces when he came in and beat the snot out of them. As a kid, I didn't hate him so much- I even made "NHL Superstar", a HOCKEY GOALIE version of SuperPro, who shot pucks out of his blocker and used a stick (which makes him about a thousand times cooler than this idiot already). Superstar's catchphrase should be "I'm NHL Superstar, and I'm here to beat THE PUCK out of crime!"

-So yeah, this guy kinda sucks. He's got a lot of football player-style "Rushing" tactics (Move-By Action, Athletics), and he's not BAD at fighting, but he's only a PL 7 scrub, and would lose to anyone except some members of the Zodiac Cartel or maybe an Acolyte or two. Okay, so he beat up Crossbones a bit during a Cap guest appearance, but 'Bones got the better of him by cheating, and now that this guy's a jobber, he's done with great showings.

-There's a bit of a hard thing to figure out regarding how powerful Phil Grayfield is, though. The writing on the books was so half-assed that a guy who supposedly gained enhanced strength, athletic abilities, etc., during a chemical bath, and gaining a super-durable football uniform, was depicted as: a) needing to use extra effort to toss a particularly heavy henchman, b) needing to dodge and weave to avoid bullets, and c) vulnerable to cobra venom on Crossbones' knife, which easily cut into his calf. So, at best we're talking about a guy who was at Captain America's physical level, and he's probably a good bit lower. Nothing to SNEEZE AT, of course, but he's barely superhuman at all, and his suit only gives a +2 Toughness bonus, since it appears to have little effect on his durability.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Nitro! Nekra & Mandrill! Nocturne! NFL SuperPro!)

Post by Ken »

I think you missed including the details of his suit in the actual write-up.

I wonder if the dropped the "NFL" and just called him "SuperPro" if he could be brought back.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:12 am I think you missed including the details of his suit in the actual write-up.

I wonder if the dropped the "NFL" and just called him "SuperPro" if he could be brought back.
It's in his Equipment.
KorokoMystia

Re: NFL Superpro

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 am NFL SUPERPRO (Phil Grayfield)
Created By:
First Appearance: NFL Superpro Special Edition #1 (Sept. 1991)
Role: The Worst Hero of All-Time
PL 7 (93)
Ah, good old Superpro. I first heard about him in somebody's review, and, well, he still sucks now. It's great that you're building the rest of his villains like Instant Replay, too. I feel like Superpro would be a better hero if he had..I dunno...exploding footballs. (which I would totally give him if I ever used him in a game) Something besides his fists, anyway.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Heh, I remember G.I.Joe introduced a character called Capt. Gridiron around this time who was also football themed and DID have exploding football grenades.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Quick Kick

Post by Jabroniville »

QUICK KICK (Karl Moore)
Created By:
First Appearance: NFL Superpro #2 (Nov. 1991)
Role: Ex-Partner Turned Villain
PL 7 (91)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+10)
Deception 3 (+3)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Investigation 1 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Football Player) 5 (+9) -- (Uses Agility)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Equipment 2 (Katana, Nunchaku, etc.), Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Martial Arts Strike" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Equipment:
"Katana" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (4)
"Nunchaku" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Fast Grab, Improved Disarm) (3)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Katana +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Nunchaku +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Self-Improvement)- Karl is obsessed with becoming greater- he used to wach the entire football game on replay just so he could figure out his own mistakes.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 5 (91)

-Quick Kick was a short-lived personal nemesis of SuperPro- an old football teammate, Karl Moore was obsessed with being the best, and had a personal rivalry with Phil "SuperPro" Grayfield from their playing days- this being a parallel universe where black athletes aspire to be as good as their white teammates. Like most failed athletes, Karl soon became a ninja enforcer, and he recognized Phil in-costume because he never forgets the way people move and stuff. Of course, considering that Phil DOESN'T COVER HIS FACE when he wears his costume would probably be an important factor here, but Karl's all like "HAHAH I NEVER FORGET A FACE, GUY WHOSE FACE ANYONE WHO'S EVER PLAYED WITH HIM SHOULD RECOGNIZE!". He was presumed dead after falling from an airplane, and we never saw him again, though I, for one, plan on including him in tons of background scenes should I ever become a real comic book artist.

-Curiously, Phil (pre-SuperPro) called him "Stu" twice during the flashback part of the issue- by the time we see him in modern times, Phil identifies him as "Karl? KARL MOORE?!" Methinks neither the writer nor the editor gave a rat's ass, even by issue 2 of this book.

-Quick Kick is basically a PL 7 Ninja-type dude, quite strong but not exactly well-rounded.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:32 am
Ken wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:12 am I think you missed including the details of his suit in the actual write-up.

It's in his Equipment.
Ulp. Sorry. My mistake.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
M4C8

Re: Nocturne (The Forgotten One)

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:15 pm Image

NOCTURNE I (Angela Cairne)
Created By:
J.M. DeMatteis & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Spectacular Spider-Man #190 (July 1992)
Role: Forgotten Character, Bat-Lady
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (102)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Police Officer) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)

Advantages: 
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Bat Lady"
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
"Animal Senses" Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Echolocation" Senses 4 (Extended, Ultra & Accurate Hearing) [4]

"Prehensile Hair"
Extra Limbs 2 [2]
Enhanced Advantages 3: Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Hold [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications: 
Disabled (Mute)- Nocturne can no longer speak.
Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)- Nocturne has big bat wings.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 9 (102)

-Nocturne (there are a LOT of Marvel characters named this, as it turns out- a forgotten Generation X villain, the Exiles's Sexy Nightcrawler Girl, and some one-off Night Raven successor named "Graham Gray Poldark" who was later removed from continuity) is a minor character in the early '90s Spidey books that ended up being forgotten- she was transformed by a mutate of Baron Zemo into a mute bat-winged lady. She faced Spider-Man a few times, cared for the Puma, and then disappeared for good, while other characters used the name... which, truth be told, is a very good name for a female character- mysterious, pretty and involves the night.
If I remember correctly she had vague empathic abilities which she used to communicate with others.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ares wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:45 am Heh, I remember G.I.Joe introduced a character called Capt. Gridiron around this time who was also football themed and DID have exploding football grenades.
Thanks, I remembered the toy but couldn't remember his name. Wasn't there also a figure based on the American Footballer the Fridge?
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'