Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (NFL SuperPro! Instant Replay! Vampires! Morbius!)

Post by Davies »

"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Rachel V.

Post by Jabroniville »

RACHEL VAN HELSING
Created By:
Gene Colan & Marv Wolfman
First Appearance: Tomb of Dracula #3 (July 1972)
Role: Vampire Hunter
Group Affiliations: The Dracula Hunters
PL 7 (83)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (The Occult) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages: 
Equipment 2 (Stakes +2, Pistol/Crossbow +5), Improved Critical (Stakes), Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Stakes +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Pistol +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (Dracula)- Rachel is descended from Abraham Van Helsing, and takes up his old cause against Dracula.
Relationship (Frank Drake)- Though Frank starts off quite cowardly, he and Rachel eventually form a relationship, though it isn't to last.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (83)

-The final part of the trio from Tomb of Dracula, Rachel Van Helsing is the great-granddaughter of Abraham Van Helsing. She was fiery and confident, while Quincy was cynical and Frank Drake was cowardly. Eventually, however, she and Frank fell in love, though they split soon after Dracula was killed by Quincy. Eventually, she is killed by Dracula and turned into a vampire (Dracula may be one of the most successful villains in the Marvel universe- Doom, Magneto & Galactus have more credibility, but none of THEM outlive all their enemies!). Overcoming Dracula's control temporarily (this is the story in which Storm temporarily becomes a thrall of Dracula, too), she begs Wolverine to end her suffering, and he does. Frank Drake avenged her death... temporarily.

-Smart, tough and capable, Rachel is all too human in a world of monsters.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

What happened to Rachel makes me a little mad, given that Tomb of Dracula ended on the most upbeat of terms, with Dracula destroyed in as conclusive a manner as can be imagined -- and even without that, Dracula having reached a point where he doesn't really want to be a monster anymore -- and Rachel and Frank finding happiness together. All undone, so Chris Claremont could tell a not terribly scary story.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Horsenhero wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:54 am Love that pic of Frank with his oh-so-90's gun!

Kind of generally related to Frank...I've always thought it was kind of a mistake for Marvel to include Dracula in their canon universe. Dracula should be a top tier threat, playing the long game against his enemies. The problem is compared to Dr. Doom or Thanos or Dormamu or Ultron, he's kind of lacking. He has too many weaknesses and just lacks the overarching formidability an arch-villain needs. More than anything though, in a world where the science and magic of the MU exist and are widely used, his most crucial weapon, fear is seriously blunted. Super-heroes face threats as creepy and horror inducing as Dracula all the time.

This isn't to say he can't be a good villain, but it's hard for him to be a great one.
Yeah, I get into this with my Blade build, but I think a huge part of why vampires continually fail to gain traction with comic audiences is that in a world of Gods, Kill-O-Bots and mutant world-breakers.... vampires are so MUNDANE.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:15 am What happened to Rachel makes me a little mad, given that Tomb of Dracula ended on the most upbeat of terms, with Dracula destroyed in as conclusive a manner as can be imagined -- and even without that, Dracula having reached a point where he doesn't really want to be a monster anymore -- and Rachel and Frank finding happiness together. All undone, so Chris Claremont could tell a not terribly scary story.
I find it ironic that Claremont, who had a major point of contention over the fact that he wanted the X-Men to gravitate off the team & move on over the years (Cyke, Kitty, etc.), and characters to truly evolve... made sure than the Tomb of Dracula cast Back-To-Basics'd so hard.

Odder still that Rachel has never returned, as far as I can tell.
Jabroniville

Quincy Harker

Post by Jabroniville »

QUINCY HARKER
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Tomb of Dracula #7 (March 1973)
Group Affiliations: X-Students
Role: Background Character
PL 6 (54)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY -4
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Mystical Lore) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Mystical Lore) 4 (+16) -- Flaws: Limited to Vampires
Insight 3 (+7)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 7 (Specialized Wheelchair), Minion 3 (Saint- German Shepherd), Ranged Attack 4, Ultimate Vampire Lore

Equipment:
"Wheelchair"
"Wooden Darts" Blast 4 (Extras: Multiattack) Linked to Weaken Strength 4 (Extras: Multiattack, Ranged, Progressive +2) (32)
"Net Lined With Garlic" Snare 4 (12)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Wooden Darts +8 (+4 Ranged Damage & Weaken, DC 19 & 14)
Net +8 (+4 Ranged Affliction, DC 14)
Initiative -4

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +7

Complications:
Hatred (Vampires)
Enemy (Dracula)- The Lord of Vampires has killed Quincy's wife, crippled him, then slew the family of his mentor, Abraham Van Helsing. So it's kinda personal.
Disabled (Crippled)- Quincy is elderly, cannot move without the use of his wheelchair, and has already suffered one heart attack.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (54)

-Quincy Harker is the protege of Abraham Van Helsing (of Dracula fame), and became a recurring nemesis for the villainous Dracula in Tomb of Dracula. However, he'd been crippled and left wheelchair-bound, and his wife killed. With some Comic-Booky touches, he'd made his wheelchair into a moving Anti-Vampire Arsenal and left deathtraps all over the family mansion. He also took in Abraham's orphaned grandchild Rachel, turning her into a vampire hunter as well. And of course all of these deaths and maimings were the result of Dracula. Knowing his own death awaited, he plunged a silver stake into Drac's heart, then his time bomb went off, demolishing the castle and killing Harker. Dracula ultimately resurfaced, but Quincy's bones acted as a lethal deterrent to vampires attempting to enter the British Isles- they all had to be invited in. Important to MI-13's plans to protect Britain was Dracula destroying a fake set of bones, thus resulting in the immolation of his army.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted some of these guys. Quincy comes from just last year, when I posted some "Q" guys, but Jack Russell and the Nightstalkers guys come from the Atomic Think Tank era of my thread/s! No wonder I have to expand so much on my old commentary :).
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

The anime movie based on Tomb of Dracula has some odd changes, that I think I brought up before. Like, Frank Drake looking really different and having martial arts instead of a fancy gun, and Quincy (named "Hans" for...I have no idea why) has a cane-sword.

This results in..A very ridiculous fight scene. (Youtube link)
Davies

Post by Davies »

KorokoMystia wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:30 pm The anime movie based on Tomb of Dracula has some odd changes, that I think I brought up before. Like, Frank Drake looking really different and having martial arts instead of a fancy gun, and Quincy (named "Hans" for...I have no idea why) has a cane-sword.

This results in..A very ridiculous fight scene. (Youtube link)
I had no idea this even existed. Thanks.
Jabroniville

Hannibal King

Post by Jabroniville »

HANNIBAL KING
Created By:
Gene Colan & Marv Wolfman
First Appearance: Tomb of Dracula #25 (Oct. 1974)
Role: Vampire Detective
Group Affiliations: The Nightstalkers, The Midnight Sons
PL 9 (194)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Streetwise) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Supernatural) 7 (+10)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 5 (+9)
Perception 3 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Guns) 4 (+12)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Pistol +5), Favoured Enemy (Vampires & Supernatural Beings), Improved Critical (Guns), Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Tracking, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Super-Strong Vampire"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 [7]
Impervious Toughness 8 (Flaws: Not versus Wood, Fire, Silver or Holy Weapons) [4]
Regeneration 10 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) (Flaws: Source- Blood) [6]
Immortality 4 (Flaws: Not if Staked, Beheaded or Dealt With in Mystical Ways) [4]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Senses (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]

"Hypnosis" Mind Control 8 (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (24) -- [26]
  • AE: Shapeshift 3 (Flaws: Limited to Wolves, Bats, Mist) (24)
  • AE: "Command Vermin" Mind Control 4 (Extras: Area- 250ft. Burst +4, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Limited to Animals, Limited to Rodents, Bats & Wolves) (24)
"The Vampire's Bite" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Weaken Stamina 8 (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to 1 Rank Per Minute) Linked to Affliction 8 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Vampire) (Extras: Cumulative, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to Drained Victims) [18]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Vampire's Bite +10 (+7 Damage & Weaken +8 & Affliction +8, DC 22, 18 & 18)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +7, Fortitude --, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)- Hannibal is a detective, and also refuses to give in to his vampiric urges.
Enemy (Vampires)- Hannibal King is an enemy of Deacon Frost (his sire, whom he killed) and Dracula in particular, but all vampires in general.
Motivation (Hunting the Supernatural)- The Nightstalkers wish to slay all supernatural creatures- even Ghost Rider is a potential target of theirs.
Weakness (Garlic, Sunlight)- Both are anathema to vampires, and will cause horrible pain. Direct sunlight will kill a vampire of any power level.
Weakness (Holy Symbols)- Witnessing or touching a Holy Symbol is painful to vampires, but only if the wearer belives.
Weakness (Lack of Blood, Home Soil)- Though Immune to Fortitude Effects, Hannibal can effectively starve to death if deprived of blood- he is even addicted to the substance. He must also spend some amount of time in contact with his native soil.
Quirk (No Reflection)- Vampires do not cast reflections in any mirrored surface.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 100 / Defenses: 10 (194)

-Hannibal King was a Tomb of Dracula character with the gimmick of being a repentant vampire- killed by Deacon Frost, he refused to give in to his vampiric urges, and instead drank from animals or blood banks, and still went about his Detective work at night. He met up with Blade early-on, and the two of them teamed up to kill Frost. When they teamed up with Frank Drake, they met up with Doctor Strange and cast The Montesi Formula, which destroyed all the vampires in the world- King was immune because he had never killed a human being with his powers. The trio eventually teamed up again as The Nightstalkers in the "Midnight Sons" era of Ghost Rider's books, and had a short-lived title for a while.

-King's later stories were extremely minor in scope (at one point, Blade slew him to prevent him from aiding a formula to remove all Vampires' weaknesses at the expense of returning their souls, but he returned quickly), and he's a very obscure character overall (despite being one of three comic book characters ruined by Ryan Reynolds, who FINALLY managed to get one right with the Deadpool movie, and just might save what was becoming a floundering career suffering heavy bomb-damage and a reputation for soulless, bored performances)- the fact that his closest allies, Doctor Strange and Blade, don't tend to sell very well in comic book form seems to hurt one of their side-character buddies. One of the more clever things about the character was his introduction, which revealed he was a vampire only in the last panel, though clues were spread throughout the issue- Marv Wolfman pointed many out to fans, as Wikipedia points out (check it out; it's kinda fun).

-Hannibal King is a vampire just like Dracula, and has most of the same core powers, with Shapeshifting, Hypnotism and Vermin Control thrown onto a very strong character. Combining Vampire Powers onto any other kind of build (in this case, a Detective of fairly high skill) proves to be a very expensive proposition- with their trademark Immunity to Fortitude Effects, they have almost 100 points spent on Powers. King isn't exactly hella-tough or anything (and would lose BADLY against Dracula himself), but he's still fairly effective.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Blade

Post by Jabroniville »

BLADE (Eric Brooks)
Created By:
First Appearance: Tomb of Dracula #10 (July 1973)
Role: Vampire Slayer
Group Affiliations: The Nightstalkers, The Midnight Sons, The Vanguard, MI: 13
PL 10 (141)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 5 (+11)
Deception 1 (+2)
Expertise (Supernatural) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Supernatural) 6 (+13) -- Flaws: Limited to Vampires
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+6)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Equipment 3 (Gear), Diehard, Favored Foe (Vampires & Undead), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Stakes) 2, Improved Critical (Blades) 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Last Stand, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Takedown, Tracking

Powers:
"Vampiric Traits"
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [3]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Cybernetic Hand" (Flaws: Removable) [16]
"Machine-Gun" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18)
"Grappling Hook" Movement 1 (Swinging) (2)
-- (20 points)

Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]
Immunity 1 (Vampire's Bite) [1]
Senses 2 (Supernatural Awareness- Ranged) [2]

Equipment:
"Weaponry"
"Guns" Blast 6 (12) -- (15)
  • AE: "Stakes" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical 2 on Vampires) (Extras: Ranged 4) (6)
  • AE: "Double-Edged Katana" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 5) (8)
  • AE: "EMP Grenades" Affliction 7 (Tech Skill of Creator; Impaired/Disabled/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Technology) (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Stakes +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Sword +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
EMP Grenades +7 Area (+7 Affliction, DC 17)
Guns +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
Obsession (Killing Vampires)- Blade often goes psychotically crazy around vampires, to the point where he killed two men to get at a kid who was dressed as Dracula for Halloween. He is friends with the unwilling-vampire Hannibal King, however.
Enemy (Dracula)- Drac killed Blade's mentor Afari, and Blade has hunted him for years as a result.
Disabled (One Hand)- Blade has recently lost his hand, and utilizes a Removable Cybernetic replacement.
Motivation (Hunting the Supernatural)- The Nightstalkers wish to slay all supernatural creatures- even Ghost Rider is a potential target of theirs.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 25 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 15 (141)

-Blade is one of those bizarre things in comics: an overwhelming success in cinemas (to the point where he had a Trilogy before any other Marvel hero), yet comic books have continuously proven unable to give him any sort of traction. He debuted in Tomb of Dracula as a stereotypical black character (Marv Wolfman, his creator, admits this- he talked in a "Marvel Black" way) who was a bad-ass Vampire Hunter, and was kept out of the book on purpose to avoid overshadowing the rest of the less-capable cast.

-Blade's origin is actually really awesome- he was a whoreson who gained supernatural powers after the vampire Deacon Frost killed his mother in childbirth. He was trained in Vamp-Killing by a radical black jazz-man, and soon became a great blade-based hunter. He ganged up with the Anti-Drac Crew for a while, then went off on his own. He moved around some of the B-level books for a while (fighting Morbius once), but ultimately vanished for over a decade until the "Midnight Sons" line came a-calling and he joined The Nightstalkers (aka his old pals Frank Drake & Hannibal King) once again. That book only lasted eighteen issues, and attempted relaunches have always failed. Like I said, he's just been too much of a minor character to get much use, and many books just play up the "Psychotic Anti-Vampire Bigot" part of him, like when he tried to kill Spitfire (who'd been turned into a vampire) or Jubilee (who got the same treatment in X-Men). He is at once Marvel's most prominent vampire hunter by FAR, yet also a failed guy who just gets trotted out either as a guest star, or in his own short-lived book.

-He's had about a dozen failed mini-series and attempted full-time series since then, but for some odd reason, Blade ONLY WORKS AS A FILM CHARACTER. I don't know quite what it is- maybe because vampires are such pedestrian foes for comic book heroes, they need the added "oomph" of a Hollywood movie making them appear super-fast and wire-fu-ish. Martial arts will always work better in a medium fueled by animation and visible movements (part of why the still-good Avatar: The Last Airbender comic books still pale before the animated series in quality- the fight scenes just don't have the same impression in the static comics medium- super hero epics still can, but not the fluid, energetic style of combat Blade or Aang would use). It also helps that Blade was one of the first major uses of new Matrix-esque cinematic techniques regarding fight scenes.

-Blade actually comes by "on the cheap" since he's a very basic build- an effective Investigator who is also a really good fighter, but is mostly dependent upon equipment and a Machine Gun Device to do his stuff. He's not bad by any means, and is in fact the most effective member of the Nightstalkers by a ways, and more than enough to take on many of my other Marvel character builds (Daredevil, Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, etc.), especially since he's much stronger than most of them. He was initially just a "pretty strong" guy at first (but has a natural Immunity to the bite of Vampires), but gained powers due to an odd reaction to the bite of Morbius.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Vampires! Morbius! Werewolf! Nightstalkers!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Blade was even in the 90s Spidey cartoon, and so was PUNISHER of all people.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Vampires! Morbius! Werewolf! Nightstalkers!)

Post by Ares »

What was funny was Blade originally wasn't a half-vampire. The vampire attack when he was in utero had merely made him immune to being turned into a vampire. From what I remember, the 90s Spider-Man cartoon introduced the concept of Blade being half-vampire and trained by Whistler. Those elements where then used for the film, after which in the comic Blade got attacked by Morbius, whose weird nature wound up turning Blade into a half-vampire to make him match the film. So another example of a good cartoon influencing a character.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Deacon Frost

Post by Jabroniville »

DEACON FROST
Created By:
First Appearance: The Tomb of Dracula #13 (Oct. 1973)
Role: Arch-Nemesis (to Blade)
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (257)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Treatment 6 (+11)

Advantages: 
Inventor, Startle

Powers:
"Super-Strong Vampire"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
Impervious Toughness 14 (Flaws: Not versus Wood, Fire, Silver or Holy Weapons) [7]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) (Flaws: Source- Blood) [5]
Immortality 4 (Flaws: Not if Staked, Beheaded or Dealt With in Mystical Ways) [4]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]

Shapeshift 4 (Flaws: Limited to Wolves, Bats, Mist) [28]
"The Vampire's Bite" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Weaken Stamina 8 (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to 1 Rank Per Minute) Linked to Affliction 8 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Vampire) (Extras: Cumulative, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to Drained Victims) [18]

"Create Doppelgangers" Summon Vampire 5 (Extras: 64 Minions +12) (Extras: Variable- Doppelgangers of Bitten Subjects, Controlled) (Flaws: Requires a Bitten Subject) [75]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Vampire's Bite +8 (+8 Damage, Weaken & Affliction, DC 27, 22 & 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Deacon Frost wishes to be the Lord of Vampires.
Enemy (Blade & Hannibal King)- Frost gave both their powers, and both despise him.
Weakness (Garlic, Sunlight)- Both are anathema to vampires, and will cause horrible pain. Direct sunlight will kill a vampire of any power level.
Weakness (Holy Symbols)- Witnessing or touching a Holy Symbol is painful to vampires, but only if the wearer belives.
Weakness (Lack of Blood, Home Soil)- Though Immune to Fortitude Effects, Deacon Frost can effectively starve to death if deprived of blood- he is even addicted to the substance.
Quirk (No Reflection)- Vampires do not cast reflections in any mirrored surface.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 160 / Defenses: 6 (257)

-Deacon Frost was a scientist attempting to find the secret to immortality via the blood of a recently-killed Vampire. He accidentally got stabbed by the needle himself, and of course turned into a Vampire. Anyone he turned would also generate a doppelganger for whatever reason (and create MORE doppelgangers by biting THOSE doppelgangers!). He hoped to create an army that would help him oppose Dracula himself. However, he's best known for the creation of Blade (years before he would become a major name)- he fed from Blade's pregnant mother, thus imbuing Blade himself with vampiric might. Frost ALSO turned Hannibal King (another of the Darkstalkers). King & Blade teamed up against an ARMY of their own clones, and destroyed Frost.

-A NEW Deacon Frost appeared many years later, with a whole new appearance and personality. Turns out it was a doppelganger of the first, but it got eaten by a demon that he himself had summoned. He was next seen with his ORIGINAL look (the interloper was an imposter), and was later staked by Blade while defending Dracula. He's probably better known for Stephen Dorff's portrayal in the Blade film, but to be fair, BLADE is better known for the Blade film, too.

-Frost is astonishingly-expensive, largely thanks to his ability to Summon an insane number of Vampiric Doppelgangers (who are apparently weaker enough compared to the originals that Blade & Hannibal King could wade through a bunch of them). Without that, he's only SLIGHTLY expensive, largely owing to his Vampirism. He's still only PL 8, though- he's not a supreme ass-kicker by any means.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu May 19, 2022 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Deacon Frost

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:55 am Image

DEACON FROST
Created By:
First Appearance: The Tomb of Dracula #13 (Oct. 1973)
Role: Arch-Nemesis (to Blade)

He's probably better known for Stephen Dorff's portrayal in the Blade film, but to be fair, BLADE is better known for the Blade film, too.
Yeah, the Blade movies worked a lot better for different reasons, partially due to the vampire craze of the era (Buffy, Angel and Vampire: TM were all pretty big at the time) and vampires being a lot more threatening when there's no superheroes around. Then again, in those movies vampires got nerfed pretty hard as well, given that their powers basically consisted of "never gets old", "really fast, kind of strong", and "will eventually heal from non-weakness related deaths". Blade was more geared towards the Buffy / Underworld level of vampires than anything.

It again goes back to my thinking that in comics, vampires work better as more the Castlevania type, where Dracula basically became a demon and his entire castle is some Lovecraftian Horror he's beaten into submission to act as his home, and every actual vampire is a boss monster. Having "clans" of vampires and "mook" vampires just waters them down, ironically enough. Then again, Castlevania Dracula and Strahd from Ravenloft are two big sources for vampires to me. But vampire mythology is so convoluted you can basically do anything with it.

It actually makes me wonder if werewolves wouldn't work better as the more wide-spread monster type. The idea of clans fits them a little better due to the pack structure of actual wolves, and their more limited abilities (strong, fast, regen and super senses) make them a better "mook" type as well. And unlike vampires, werewolves have a fairly consistent mythology and weaknesses.

The idea of Deacon Frost having powers unique to him was also kind of fun, and something that could have been explored more as well.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.