Jab’s Builds! (Sword of Sodan! Nightmare Creatures/Circus! Lawnmower Man!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Set! Chthon! Cyttorak! Devils! Ghost Rider! Manticore!)

Post by M4C8 »

Scots Dragon wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:54 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:50 am Though I'm with Ares in deriding how a lot of modern comics has become way too strict and dogmatic in its biases. Sure, almost all art is based around the creator showing people how they see the world in some way, but looking back at the '60s, '70s and '80s, writers were actually capable of things like subtlety and not being overly preachy. Compare Chris Claremont's openly feminist Carol Danvers to the stuff she'd doing nowadays, and it's STILL night and day. Going over the top only creates a backlash, and (probably more importantly, if you're a comic book company) loses sales.
Except that the story that's lost most sales for Marvel lately has been Secret Empire, while the push towards diverse books has resulted in a far greater readership, with the explicitly feminist and positively-portrayed Muslim Ms. Marvel being a pretty clear example of that. Especially in a day and age where Muslims are being met with unwarranted hostility over the actions of a group of extremists largely active in the Middle East, despite the fact that white supremacist violence is far more common and a far greater source of terrorist actions in the west.

It's also telling how people call out supposed left-wing biases, but very few people are willing to call out the identity politics inherent in making nearly every single character a straight white male. Or the identity politics inherent in the complaints which are made whenever a given character is presented as anything other than a straight white male.

And I have to ask, where is the top?

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear was labelled as going 'over the top' and 'pushing an agenda down peoples' throats' because of these pretty limited lines of dialogue;
Mizhena: I am Mizhena, faithful of Tempus. Praise the Lord of Battles!
Charname: Mizhena? That's an unusual name. I don't think I've heard it before.
Mizhena: I created the name myself several years ago. My birth name proved unsuitable.
Charname: What was wrong with your old name?
Mizhena: When I was born, my parents thought me a boy and raised me as such. In time, we all came to understand I was truly a woman. I created my new name from syllables of different languages. All have special meaning to me, it is the truest reflection of who I am.
This resulted in a gigantic controversy where death and rape threats were levelled at one of the lead writers, Amber Scott, and the worst people on the internet went on a multi-week screeching contest. All because of forcing the SJW agenda of 'there is a transgender person', with one common complaint being that it didn't fit the Forgotten Realms setting. This resulted in perhaps the most hilarious bit of fake geekery when people shared a statement from Ed Greenwood, who claimed that it did fit the setting, and the complainers thought he was one of the Beamdog designers and not, y'know, the person who created the Forgotten Realms to begin with.
Hostility towards Muslims is not unwarranted, the terrorist atrocities across the world (Killing over 32,000 people in 2014 alone) the organised sexual abuse rings, and the rise in acid attacks and various other imports from their 'Rich' culture have lead to people feeling unsafe in their own countries, many for the first time in their lives. Yes of course these events are due to a minority but the unwillingness of the Muslim community to address these very real issues and the immediate accusations of racism towards anyone who does just leads to more division and distrust.

As for comics, genuine comic book fans don't use the race or gender of a character as an indicator as to whether they'd pick up a title or not and yet those long term fans are the ones being accused of bigotry just because they don't want the character they grew up reading being killed off and replaced by less interesting copies. What's worse is a huge number of those new fans are using race and gender in their decision and yet somehow that's seen as perfectly fine and not bigoted in any way. If for instance you've never previously been interested in reading a Spider-Man comic because Peter is white but now will because there's a black kid under the mask then frankly you're racist.
There are untold non white and non male characters in Marvel and they have been starring in their own titles for decades. Only a handful of characters are popular enough to maintain a long term book, these character are usually the genre-defining icons of the industry (Spider-Man, Wolverine etc.) and they're still the most popular characters to this day despite the vastly more diverse modern fan-base. Most characters, including most white male characters never become successful enough to maintain anything other than a limited series.
If for whatever reason a writer feels the need to primarily feature characters of a specific race or gender (Which is wrong in of itself, you can't fight the perceived discrimination of one group by being discriminatory against another) then push some of the many that already exist or use some imagination and create new characters don't just replace all your most beloved, most successful established characters with race/gender swapped teen copies and then accuse the fans of racism/sexism when the copies don't sell as well, it's unnecessary, it's disrespectful to the fans and the characters and frankly it's just lazy. The complaints from fans aren't inherently about that the character is now black or female it's that an established popular character was unnecessarily changed or replaced in the first place, again promote existing characters or create new characters and release their books alongside the original icons then everyone wins.
I've recently been watching the reaction videos to trailers for movies such as Captain America: Civil War and Thor: Ragnarok and among the literally hundred of videos a high number of the people in them were black, Asian and female fans and do you know what I noticed? not a single one of them was complaining about 'Yet another' movie about a straight white male nor did any of them seem to have any problem 'Identifying' with the characters (Which is the primary justification by SJW types for all aforementioned race/gender swapped copies in the comics) they were all just ecstatic to see the characters they love on screen.
Last edited by M4C8 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:50 am
Scots Dragon wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:33 am
Ares wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:27 am Though it's hilarious hearing Jim stop a story to avoid controversy. Can you imagine the absolute bitch fit the current Marvel writers would have if they were told to keep their political leanings, ideology, identity politics, and similar stuff out of comics?
Well without it we wouldn't have... um... any of the comics we have now, actually. People tend to forget that the Jewish immigrants from Europe, one of whom lost a father to criminal violence, creating an indestructible and explicitly immigrant character (with a Hebrew name and drawing from Moses parallels) who opposed forces of tyrannical capitalism was not only a thing but something that led to basically the entire superhero genre as we know it.

Nothing new under the sun, after all.
The "they told an immigrant story" is more of a scholarly take on their work after the fact (I don't believe either said explicitly that's what they were doing; though Siegel WAS the son of Jewish immigrants who fled the pogroms in Russia), though it can certainly be seen that way- Superman was the "idealized immigrant", as Garth Ennis later pointed out in Hitman, though in a way that seems contrary to a lot of modern thought about ideal immigration- Superman WANTED to conform, adapt and join the melting pot.

Similarly, the whole "his father died to violence; creates invulnerable man" thing was only thought of a fair bit later. I'd hardly say the entire genre depends on writers putting their ideologies down, however- Superman bounced around in a lot of ways before Siegel & Shuster really came up with the final idea, and it's questionable just how much any of their biases went into it.

But yes, writers/editors of the day often put their ideologies in print. The biggest one was arguably Martin Goodman, who, as a Jew, felt that the Nazis needed to be talked about more. His "Timely Comics" were thus instructed to have heroes beating up on the Nazis. Various heroes also battled corruption (ie. the evil capitalists you mention... though really- "Greed = Bad" is a pretty universal sentiment... until the '80s).

Though I'm with Ares in deriding how a lot of modern comics has become way too strict and dogmatic in its biases. Sure, almost all art is based around the creator showing people how they see the world in some way, but looking back at the '60s, '70s and '80s, writers were actually capable of things like subtlety and not being overly preachy. Compare Chris Claremont's openly feminist Carol Danvers to the stuff she'd doing nowadays, and it's STILL night and day. Going over the top only creates a backlash, and (probably more importantly, if you're a comic book company) loses sales.
Marvel is a business first and foremost and sales are what's most important. Like any business/company that sells multiple products (The products in this instance being the characters) some products are far more popular than others, their sales making up a large percentage of the income of the company. It's pretty damn obvious that deciding to no longer sell all of your most popular most successful products and alienating your long term loyal customers is going to lead to a huge slump in sales.
Last edited by M4C8 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

He looks a lot like Pumpkinhead in this one, minus the tail (and with a modesty diaper).
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

MissRo wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:28 pm Image

He looks a lot like Pumpkinhead in this one, minus the tail (and with a modesty diaper).
Hey, he does! Though I'm surprised that someone else even knows about Pumpkinhead :P.
Formerly luketheduke86
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

L-Space wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:35 pm Hey, he does! Though I'm surprised that someone else even knows about Pumpkinhead :P.
The original is on my 'watch every Halloween' list. The second one is pretty good too. We have both of them on VHS. The syfy sequels were hot garbage, but then every movie syfy does is hot garbage, amirite?

Pumpkinhead is one of my all-time favourite movie monsters. I love his design, and he's such a dick. XD
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

The most I know about Pumpkinhead is that he has that awful PC game, Bloodwings: Pumpkinhead's Revenge, (which is supposed to be based on the second movie, but really barely has anything to do with it, just having a few movie clips from it) and that he's playable in that one horror-themed fanmade fighting game.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:53 pm The most I know about Pumpkinhead is that he has that awful PC game, Bloodwings: Pumpkinhead's Revenge, (which is supposed to be based on the second movie, but really barely has anything to do with it, just having a few movie clips from it) and that he's playable in that one horror-themed fanmade fighting game.
Haha, I actually have a Pumpkinhead build ready to go and be posted as soon as the Ghost Rider stuff is done, thanks to HalloweenJack finally pestering me enough to do builds for the Terrordrome game, and his willingness to do all the research himself so I don't have to :).
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:13 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:53 pm The most I know about Pumpkinhead is that he has that awful PC game, Bloodwings: Pumpkinhead's Revenge, (which is supposed to be based on the second movie, but really barely has anything to do with it, just having a few movie clips from it) and that he's playable in that one horror-themed fanmade fighting game.
Haha, I actually have a Pumpkinhead build ready to go and be posted as soon as the Ghost Rider stuff is done, thanks to HalloweenJack finally pestering me enough to do builds for the Terrordrome game, and his willingness to do all the research himself so I don't have to :).
Heh, that's great! I always like to see fighting game builds from you. (I've kind of wanted to build the characters from Power Instinct myself, but the characters from the last game in the series are nigh-unresearchable because that game only came out in Japanese arcades. The Wiki does actually have descriptive movelists for most of the characters int he series, though, so it's better than the SNK wiki..) I've played Terrordrome myself. It's actually a good way to get builds of most of the iconic horror movie characters out, since it's got most of the iconic guys like Freddy and Jason in there.
Jabroniville

Bounty Hunter (Haskill)

Post by Jabroniville »

BOUNTY HUNTER I (Lemuel Haskill)
Created By:
Roger McKenzie & Don Perlin
First Appearance: Ghost Rider #30 (June 1978)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliation: None
PL 8 (128)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (History) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Cowboy) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Powers:
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
Immunity 5 (Hellfire Damage) [5]
Hellfire Blast 8 (16) -- [17]
  • AE: "Hellfire Lasso" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Hellfire +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Gathering Souls For Mephisto)- Failing to get even one of the fifty means his soul belongs to Mephisto for eternity.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 7 (128)

-A one-off character who appeared in only one three-issue arc of Ghost Rider back in the late '70s, the first Bounty Hunter has about the most generic name in comic book history. He was Lemuel Haskill- a vicious, dishonorable bounty hunter in the Old West who was shot dead by his final victim- a man he'd shot in the back after agreeing to meet him outside. Finding himself in Hell, he was confronted by Mephisto, who told him to collect fifty souls in order to save himself from becoming Mephisto's property- he agreed, but was informed that a single failure would result in his soul being forfeit forever.

-Haskill captured Johnny Blaze and prepared to hang him, but ANOTHER demon jumped out and tried to claim Blaze's soul. The two allied to beat it back, but then three MORE demons- claiming to be Haskill's human victims- arrived, fighting both. GR transformed back into Blaze, repelling the demons with his human touch, but Haskill was helpless before the reforming, hellfire-resistant demon cowboys, who dragged him kicking and screaming into Hell. The character has never returned, and Blaze mentioned that he was never able to fight the demon inside of him.

-The Bounty Hunter shot Hellfire (typically from a gun, though he could apparently manifest it normally) and was immune to the same, making him a deadly opponent for Ghost Rider. As a Late '70s adversary for a Street Level guy, he's only PL 8.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

MissRo wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:46 pm
L-Space wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:35 pm Hey, he does! Though I'm surprised that someone else even knows about Pumpkinhead :P.
The original is on my 'watch every Halloween' list. The second one is pretty good too. We have both of them on VHS. The syfy sequels were hot garbage, but then every movie syfy does is hot garbage, amirite?

Pumpkinhead is one of my all-time favourite movie monsters. I love his design, and he's such a dick. XD
Nice! I think Pumpkinhead is the first horror movie I ever saw and I was about 3 or 4 at the time lol. Definitely an underrated slasher film, and agree that the sequel is pretty decent too. Never saw the syfy sequels, but I steer away from syfy movies on principle :lol:.
Formerly luketheduke86
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:13 pmHaha, I actually have a Pumpkinhead build ready to go and be posted as soon as the Ghost Rider stuff is done, thanks to HalloweenJack finally pestering me enough to do builds for the Terrordrome game, and his willingness to do all the research himself so I don't have to :).
HELL YES.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:13 pm
glad to be of service, chief
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

gotta go against the grain about the second Pumpkinhead being good though

i mean aside from Soleil Moon Frye all growed up and gothed out......oh yeah. I have a type.

I might as well get it out there about how hot I thought Danielle Harris was in Urban Legend.....though I think she's just hot period. LOL I remember somebody giving me grief when Rob Zombie's Halloween was coming out about how I'd go on about how hot she'd become. They were all "dude....she's the little girl in Halloween 4 and 5" and I'm like "Yes, and she's grown up since then".

shhooot, don't give me grief on that. girl's older than I am.

and she's THIS tall.

Well that doesn't really work in text, but you get me.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

and don't believe that lie about me pestering Jab

sure, I did, but one day he messages me on Facebook and is all "So...Terrodrome?"

Looking forward to it myself.
Jabroniville

Ghost Rider (Ketch)

Post by Jabroniville »

GHOST RIDER III (Daniel "Danny" Ketch)
Created By:
Howard Mackie & Javier Saltares
First Appearance: Ghost Rider #1 (May 1990)
Role: Mystical Super-Hero
Group Affiliation: The Midnight Sons, The Secret Defenders, The New Fantastic Four
PL 12 (217)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Demonic Lore) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Streetwise) 1 (+2)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 11 (+12)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Vehicles 8 (+13) -- Flaws: Limited to Ground Vehicles

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment 2 (Motorbike), Improved Critical (Chain), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"The Penance Stare" Affliction 12 (Will; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Incapacitated) (Feats: Incurable) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Visual Sense-Dependent) (Quirks: Limited to Amount of Pain Target Has Caused -1) Linked to Blast 6 (Feats: Incurable) (Extras: Perception Range, Will Save) (Flaws: Visual Sense-Dependent) (Quirks: Same as Affliction) (54) -- [60]
  • AE: Soulfire Blast 8 (Extras: Will Save) (24)
  • AE: Hellfire Blast 8 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (24)
  • AE: "Chain" Blast 7 (Feats: Extended Reach, Accurate) (16)
  • AE: "Moving Chain" Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (21)
  • AE: "Chain Snare" Snare 8 (Flaws: Limited to A Few Targets) (16)
  • AE: "Shuriken Chain" Blast 5 (Feats: Accurate 2, Extended Reach) (Extras: Multiattack) (20)
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [5]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]

"Frickin' Sweet Ride"
Speed 8 (500 mph) (Flaws: Requires Bike) [4]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling, Water-Walking) (Flaws: Requires Bike) [2]
"Ride Through Flames" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (Flaws: Limited to Movement Path, Requires Bike) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Hellfire +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Soulfire +10 (+8 Ranged Will Damage, DC 23)
Penance Stare -- (+12 Perception-Ranged Affliction & +6 Damage, DC 22 & 21)
Chain +12 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Moving Chain +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Chain Snare +10 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Ride Through Flames +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Ghost Rider)- Danny Ketch will transform into Ghost Rider any time he needs to punish the evil. Ketch's own stats are STR 1 & STA 3- the rest are the same.
Enemy (Deathwatch, Blackout)- Ghost Rider had a few recurring rogues- Blackout murdered his comatose sister.
Relationship (Johnny Blaze)- Blaze and Ketch became great allies during their ride as "Spirts of Vengeance", and later discovered they were long-lost brothers.
Power Loss (Penance Stare)- The Penance Stare, in addition to losing effect over innocent beings guilty of no wrongdoing, will not affect those under the influence of drugs, or those with more than two eyes (??). Nor will it work on soulless beings.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 118 / Defenses: 11 (217)

-With the age of black leather, pockets, darkness and blood upon us, it was perhaps only a matter of time before Ghost Rider made a comeback- with a flaming demonic head, gory transformation sequences (his face MELTS, as Mark Texiera was only too happy to draw for us), and leather 'n' spikes everywhere, he was a natural. Curiously, despite bringing back dozens of old characters for a new '90s-style Marvel Universe (The New Warriors were comprised of them, we also had Luke Cage), this Ghost Rider was a new legacy character who got beaten up by Deathwatch and his gang, in an attack that put his sister into a coma. He touched a motorcycle with demonic energy residing within, and was transformed into the Spirit of Vengeance.

-Danny, as the new Ghost Rider, was no happy-go-lucky guy like Johnny Blaze was in most of the stories I've read. No, this guy was something different- tortured. Inhuman. Vicious. The Rider spoke entirely differently than Ketch did- he was a different person on every level. Ketch was nearly killed by his predecessor, until Blaze realized that a different demon, not Zarathos, was merged with Danny.

-Danny Ketch had numerous problems befall him- in addition to fighting Deathwatch's goons, he faced Blackout (who murdered his comatose sister). He got his very own "Venom" in Vengeance (you KNOW you're a big name when you get a Mirror Image Anti-Hero!). The Spirits of Vengeance (as he & Blaze were called) joined the Midnight Suns and fought various supernatural menaces, like Lilith and her spawn. 

Ghost Rider's Success:
-Ghost Rider was HUGE in the '90s. I remember every kid I knew going on about how awesome he was- his impressive visual appearance, alongside Mark Texiera's muddy, ink-stained art, was a hell of a sight. Howard Mackie, also on some of the Spider-Man books, did the story chores. He not only had his own book, but the Spirits of Vengeance duo-title. He was the centrepiece of the ENTIRE Midnight Sons line, expected to prop up a half-dozen unproven titles (Nightstalkers, Morbius, The Darkhold Redeemers, even the old, faltering Dr. Strange).

-Alongside Wolverine and The Punisher, he represented the "New Age" of heroes- grim, gritty, violent bad-asses who were unafraid to kill their foes, enacting dark vengeance. This eventually was seen as a stain on comics- while Wolverine had the staying power to live past this era, GR and Punny were not, and had their books canceled in the end- both guys were seen as relics and troubled causes; bad apples who weren't to be replicated or copied any longer. However, only Frank Castle really moved on from this to become a success, after a "mourning period" of several years. GR faded away, and the entire line based around him disappeared as well.

Later Ketch Stuff:
-Ketch went through the wringer later on- the relative success of Fox's Ghost Rider movies meant the concept needed a comeback... but since the movies used JOHNNY BLAZE, we had a weird case of Back-To-Basics Syndrome, as a minor act from the late '70s suddenly got pushed anew. In the end of his series, Danny was merged with the demon Noble Kale, who became the King of Hell after an agreement with Blackheart- this freed Danny to gain a normal life. Later books would reveal that Danny's life had fallen apart- addicted to mayhem, he fought guys in bars for kicks, and it was revealed that many old "Ghost Riders" went crazy, too. He becomes a knight of the angel Zadkiel- out to absorb the powers of the other Spirits of Vengeance, thus freeing them of the curse. He thus becomes an antagonist to Blaze, but is eventually turned good again after Zadkiel is slain while storming the Gates of Heaven. Ketch thinks himself free... but is forced to become the Ghost Rider again to fight a murderous Highwayman. With no book, he is currently unseen, having last shown up warning the Superior Spider-Man about Blackout's powers, and recommending he kill the villain as soon as he gets the chance.

Ghostly Powers:
-Ghost Rider in the '90s is essentially a PL 10-ish fighter with a PL 12 Penance Stare attack, losing a lot of power and versatility to Johnny Blaze (though more powerful than the '70s Ghost Rider by a ways). He's strong and mean, but not staggeringly more powerful than a number of his foes. I remember one of the first big "PL disagreements" in my thread actually spawned from me writing GR down as a PL 9 when I did Return of the Sinister Six builds in 2006 :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.