Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Hag & Troll

Post by Jabroniville »

HAG
Created By:
Howard Mackie & Mark Texeira
First Appearance: Ghost Rider #23 (March 1992)
Role: '90s Bad Girl, Psychotic Murderer
Group Affiliations: The Deathspawn, Hag & Troll
PL 8 (124)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills: 
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 3 (+3)
Expertise (Streetwise) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Investigation 2 (+2)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Life Drain" Weaken Stamina 8 [8]
"Hypnosis" Affliction 8 (Will; Entranced/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative, Area- Visual Perception) [24]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Life Drain +8 (+8 Weaken, DC 18)
Hypnosis +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications: 
Responsibility (Brother, Troll)
Enemy (Ghost Rider)
Motivation (Bloodlust)- Hag is even crazier than her brother, and murders for the sheer fun of it. Her lust for blood and violence often drives her to foolish acts.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 31--13 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 12 (124)

TROLL
Created By:
Howard Mackie & Mark Texeira
First Appearance: Ghost Rider #23 (March 1992)
Role: '90s Bad Boy, Psychotic Murderer
Group Affiliations: The Deathspawn, Hag & Troll
PL 8 (118)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Deception 3 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Streetwise) 5 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Chokehold, Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Tentacle Arm), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork

Powers:
"Life Drain With Tentacle Arm" Weaken Stamina 7 (Extras: Ranged) (14) -- [15]
  • AE: "Tentacle Arm" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Ranged 7) (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Life Drain +9 (+7 Weaken, DC 17)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +4

Complications: 
Responsibility (Sister, Hag)
Enemy (Ghost Rider)
Motivation (Bloodlust)- Troll is pretty nutty, but not as bad as his sister. He still genuinely loves killing, however.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 27--13 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 10 (118)

-Hag & Troll were the unofficial ultra-'90s (ie. they were sadistic murderers rather than just normal villains) top flunkies of Deathwatch, and stuck around the Ghost Rider-verse for months trying to revive DW (Deathwatch, not Darkwing Duck) and kill GR. They were pretty weird demons, being a little bit super-strong, and packing some nasty Life Draining capabilities, but were mostly just jobbers. They were tricky if they ganged up on the heroes of the day (usually Ghost Rider & Johnny Blaze, back when they teamed up), but were ultimately not that great. They were beaten in a giant Web of Spider-Man/Venom/Spirits of Vengeance cross-over after Venom (in his "Protector of Innocents" phase as an anti-hero) found them killing some Guardsmen, taken into custody, and then never seen again.

-Hag & Troll aren't entirely pushovers, being PL 8 guys with Death Touches and some pretty hefty Ability Scores. They're a good challenge as a duo for most PL 9 or 10 heroes in small numbers, and play off each other well. Troll is stronger than Hag, and has a longer range on his Weaken Stamina effect (it comes from his arm converting to a long tentacle that can grapple people as well), but Hag has All-Out Attack and a Hypnosis power to make up for some lower Ability Scores across the board, so she's more expensive. Troll is a bit more sensible, and Hag more crazy, but they're still pretty much a one-time threat for most characters. In the '90s, they did pretty well against certain threats, but they were still Hench-Jobbers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Zarathos! Centurious! Ghost Rider! Deathwatch!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Some assorted Ghost Rider notes:
* I actually do very little posting of GR characters. Not only because I'm not really a fan, but because they're so DIFFICULT to do. Lots and lots of powers, random power levels (most of the time they fight vampires and junk, but then they go and tangle with top-tier demons!) and histories so full of Power-Ups and De-Powerings it's ridiculous. Of all of Marvel's major and once-major characters, GR might be the least-posted- I have
one build from 2007
(!!- page seven of my original thread!), circa Revenge of the Sinister Six, and one from late 2012. That's it! I only post these guys five years apart!

* I was actually gonna post the various GR-themed builds when I got to them in their respective letters of the alphabet- builds for the Spirits of Vengeance and Snowblind were posted without a care when I was doing the "S" names, since I assumed I was just gonna do whatever with them. It was a bit later that I realized I didn't wanna post the Ghost Riders under "G" and just leave out Deathwatch, Blackout and the others.

The Spirits of Vengeance:
Doghead
Pao Fu
Verminus Rex
Wallow

* Ghost Rider is the source of my very first "Hey, I think you got the PL a little wrong..." comments (you know you've "made it" as a poster when you get THOSE :)), because I assumed he was a weak-ish PL 9- a step below a full-on pro. Because I'd never picked up on him as especially powerful in his various appearances. 'twas a guy named "MM" whose "Rock Howard" gif STILL WORKS all these years later, and he posted:
Actually, I have to disagree with the fact that Ghostrider isn't one of the heavy hitters. I haven't seen him do much mind you, mainly guest start in other comics, and the two times that I saw him show up he basicly ended the fight.

The first was when he teamed up with the Fantastic Four. He turned his penance stare on GALACTUS! I don't care who you are, if you take on Galactus, you automatically get upgraded to a heavy hitter category.

The other was in a short story I read (I THINK it was canon) where Ghost Rider teamed up with the X-men. Ghost Rider was the one who killed the Brood Queen almost by himself (albiet aided by Wolverine and Gambit, but Ghost Rider was the one that was dealing the most damage and having the most effectiveness). Maybe the two stories I encountered over-hyped him a bit, but I'd say he'd at LEAST equal PL 12, and that would be a little low.

Secondly, you could change his bike from an easy to lose device to a vehicle. Vehicles are allowed to have super-powers, you just buy them with equipment points. It's cheaper, and lets you make it a LOT better.
What's sad is that I remember THIS (specifically, the Galactus remark has always stuck with me), but not his immediate follow-up:
Actually, I should probably rescind my previous comment. Ghost Rider does fluctuate in power a lot, and if at that time in the comic he was a lot weaker, then it makes sense.
The artist's lament- ignore all the compliments and dwell on the one thing they said that was negative :). Though I remember his additional "I just realized that your Hulk is PL 12, and if he got toned down that much, then it's okay for Ghost Rider. Man, I should really think before delivering scathing comments. Sorry if I offended."
Jabroniville

Vengeance

Post by Jabroniville »

VENGEANCE (Lieutenant Michael Badilino)
Created By:
Howard Mackie
First Appearance: Ghost Rider #21 (Jan. 1992)
Role: Totally '90s Creation
Group Affiliation: The New York Police Department, The Midnight Sons
PL 12 (213)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA -- AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Police Officer) 4 (+5)
Insight 1 (+2)
Intimidation 12 (+13)
Perception 3 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+9) -- Flaws: Limited to Ground Vehicles

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment 3 (Motorbike), Improved Critical (Chain), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"The Penance Stare" Affliction 12 (Will; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Incapacitated) (Feats: Incurable) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Visual Sense-Dependent) (Quirks: Limited to Amount of Pain Target Has Caused -1) Linked to Blast 6 (Feats: Incurable) (Extras: Perception Range, Will Save) (Flaws: Visual Sense-Dependent) (Quirks: Same as Affliction) (54) -- [61]
  • AE: Soulfire Blast 8 (Extras: Will Save) (24)
  • AE: Hellfire Blast 8 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (24)
  • AE: "Chain" Blast 7 (Feats: Extended Reach, Accurate) (16)
  • AE: "Moving Chain" Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (21)
  • AE: "Chain Snare" Snare 8 (Flaws: Limited to A Few Targets) (16)
  • AE: "Shuriken Chain" Blast 5 (Feats: Accurate 2, Extended Reach) (Extras: Multiattack) (20)
  • AE: "Detachable Body Spikes" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [5]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 9 [9]

"Frickin' Sweet Ride"
Speed 8 (500 mph) (Flaws: Requires Bike) [4]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling, Water-Walking) (Flaws: Requires Bike) [2]
"Ride Through Flames" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (Flaws: Limited to Movement Path, Requires Bike) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Body Spikes +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Hellfire +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Soulfire +10 (+8 Ranged Will Damage, DC 23)
Penance Stare -- (+12 Perception-Ranged Affliction & +6 Damage, DC 22 & 21)
Chain +12 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Moving Chain +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Chain Snare +10 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +9, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Vengeance)- Badilino will transform into Vengeance any time he needs to punish the evil. His own stats are STR 1 & STA 3- the rest are the same.
Enemy (Anton Hellgate, Zarathos)
Power Loss (Penance Stare)- The Penance Stare, in addition to losing effect over innocent beings guilty of no wrongdoing, will not affect those under the influence of drugs, or those with more than two eyes (??). Nor will it work on soulless beings.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 120 / Defenses: 7 (213)

-Vengeance is basically what happens when the writer runs out of ideas, and then goes "hey, y'know what our hero needs? A VENOM!" Basically, Howard Mackie created a guy who was essentially Ghost Rider, but MORE BAD-ASS, adding huge size, chains and junk, while also being an antagonist. Actually, I saw a picture of him and thought he was pretty sweet when I was a kid (I even made a supervillain with the same name, then called him "Revengeance" before deciding that was just too much... naturally, a Metal Gear Solid game would later use this name), so I wasn't ALWAYS the type to turn up his nose at all the over-the-top '90s stuff. And yes, Mackie is also the guy who F'd up Spider-Man so badly in the '90s as well.

-So Lt. Badilino here killed his family after being exposed to the hellfire of the Demon Lord Zarathos, and went out hunting Ghost Rider, even selling his soul to Mephisto for more power. Eventually discovering that Danny Ketch WASN'T Zarathos, he started teaming up with him and the rest of the Midnight Sons line. He stuck around for a fair bit, and of COURSE teamed up with Venom, but eventually took his own life after being driven insane (he was slaughtering people for perceived sins however small, and realizing this error, wanted to protect innocents from himself). He ends up helping Noble Kale (the demon formerly possessing Danny Ketch) rule Hell, because later Ghost Rider stuff is weird. He is freed by Ketch, and aids in the destruction of Blackheart (the son of Mephisto). Badilino separates himself from the Vengeance entity, and returns to Earth. A later guy (a dude named Deputy Kowalski who had his hand eaten by a cannibal) gained Vengeance powers came later, but he was swiftly made a joke character alongside The Orb.

-Bios indicate that Vengeance had the EXACT SAME POWERS Ghost Rider did, which makes him a trifle dull. The only thing different is his detachable body spikes.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

About the "GR uses Penance Stare on Galactus" thing, that was actually from the 90s Fantastic Four cartoon:
Here's the clip. (Youtube link)

It's still really awesome, though. Because the Penance Stare hurts you based on how much pain you've caused, and well, Galactus has caused a LOT of pain, given the countless nummber of planets and lives he's destroyed.
Jabroniville

Noble Kale

Post by Jabroniville »

NOBLE KALE
Created By:
Ivan Velez, Jr.
First Appearance: Ghost Rider #76
Role: Retconned Origin Guy
Group Affiliation: The Midnight Sons, The Secret Defenders, The New Fantastic Four
PL 12 (218)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Demonic Lore) 4 (+5)
Expertise (History) 7 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 11 (+12)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment 2 (Motorbike), Improved Critical (Chain), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"The Penance Stare" Affliction 12 (Will; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Incapacitated) (Feats: Incurable) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Visual Sense-Dependent) (Quirks: Limited to Amount of Pain Target Has Caused -1) Linked to Blast 6 (Feats: Incurable) (Extras: Perception Range, Will Save) (Flaws: Visual Sense-Dependent) (Quirks: Same as Affliction) (54) -- [60]
  • AE: Soulfire Blast 8 (Extras: Will Save) (24)
  • AE: Hellfire Blast 8 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (24)
  • AE: "Chain" Blast 7 (Feats: Extended Reach, Accurate) (16)
  • AE: "Moving Chain" Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (21)
  • AE: "Chain Snare" Snare 8 (Flaws: Limited to A Few Targets) (16)
  • AE: "Shuriken Chain" Blast 5 (Feats: Accurate 2, Extended Reach) (Extras: Multiattack) (20)
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]

"Frickin' Sweet Ride"
Speed 8 (500 mph) (Flaws: Requires Bike) [4]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling, Water-Walking) (Flaws: Requires Bike) [2]
"Ride Through Flames" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (Flaws: Limited to Movement Path, Requires Bike) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Hellfire +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Soulfire +10 (+8 Ranged Will Damage, DC 23)
Penance Stare -- (+12 Perception-Ranged Affliction & +6 Damage, DC 22 & 21)
Chain +12 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Moving Chain +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Chain Snare +10 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (Mephisto)
Power Loss (Penance Stare)- The Penance Stare, in addition to losing effect over innocent beings guilty of no wrongdoing, will not affect those under the influence of drugs, or those with more than two eyes (??). Nor will it work on soulless beings.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 118 / Defenses: 11 (218)

-Noble Kale is a pretty confusing character in Ghost Rider lore. The origin of the Danny Ketch version of GR was that the Motorcycle was part of a Magical Macguffin (the Medallion of Power)... but as Howard Mackie left the book with its sixty-ninth issue, the new writer- Ivan Velez, Jr.- Retconned in his own! Noble Kale was an eighteenth-century guy who became the first Ghost Rider as a result of his Pastor father's deal with Mephisto- Pastor Kale was a general douche, and an abusive loon, burning Noble's black wife at the stake as a witch- her curse set the Furies on their town, and the Past cut a deal to save them, binding Noble's soul to that of a demon. A disagreement then ensued between Mephisto and an Angel- eventually, they agreed that neither owned Noble's soul- he was instead cursed to wander the void until called by one of his descendants. In the end, it was he who was merged with Danny Ketch when his sister was attacked, turning Danny into the newest Ghost Rider.

-The whole truth was revealed in Ghost Rider #76, when Vengeance used his own Penance Stare on Danny. Kale, in control of Ghost Rider, made him more and more vicious. Blackheart and his Spirits of Vengeance face Kale, but Danny imbues Kale with the power of the Angel of Death, and Blackheart is obliterated. Now the ruler of Hell, Kale frees all the souls imprisoned within, on the promise that they commit no further evil.

-However, in the Peter Parker: Spider-Man series, a bunch of confusing circumstances occur, as Noble proclaims that all or some of his backstory is a lie- this was, naturally, written by Howard Mackie, who wanted to undo what Velez had done to his own personal creation. He re-merges with Danny Ketch to save New York, but is eventually re-excorcized when his new book fails. And Ketch later regains Ghost Rider powers under different circumstances, leaving the whole thing up in the air.

-Honestly, the whole thing reeks of Writer Arrogance- the newbie, whom I've never heard of, deciding that no- the Old Origin isn't good enough- EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG (my least-favorite Comic Book Trope by far), and instead Ghost Rider has some totally different origin. Not that either was a particularly awesome origin, but it seems idiotic to spend the last six issues of a comic book run on Retconning the hero's origin (which had been intact for about six years by that point), just so you can get your own idea over.

-Noble is pretty much the same as other Ghost Riders, with his own Penance Stare.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

While the character is a retcon mess, I have to admit that bike he stole from Kaneda looks pretty awesome with the flaming wheels.

EDIT: by the way, anyone knows if the new Mammoth-riding GR is also empowered by Zarathos? If so that guy sure gets imprisoned in human souls a lot for such a hugely powerful demon XD
Jabroniville

Witch Woman

Post by Jabroniville »

"Would that be the hot pants, sir?"
"AYE!!!... The hot pants!"

WITCH WOMAN (Linda Littletrees)
Created By:
Gary Friedrich & Tom Sutton
First Appearance: Marvel Spotlight #10 (June 1973)
Role: Forgotten Villain
PL 8 (102), PL 9 (102) to Hellfire-Powered Beings
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+3)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Theology) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Hellfire) 1 (+7)

Advantages: 
Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Powers:
"Hellfire Control"
"Solid Hellfire Objects" Create 5 (Extras: Movable) Linked to Hellfire Aura 3 (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Affects Others Only +0, Limited to Objects) (27) -- [30]
  • AE: Hellfire Blast 9 (Feats: Variable- Hellfire & Fire) (19)
  • AE: "Drain Hellfire" Weaken Powers 9 (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Limited to Hellfire) (18)
  • AE: "Space Warp" Teleport 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Drain Hellfire -- (+9 Perception-Ranged Weaken, DC 19)
Hellfire +7 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Satanic)- Linda was unfairly possessed, and is usually twisted by evil.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 12 (102)

-Witch Woman was an early Ghost Rider foe- an Apache woman who became possessed by the devil after her roommate introduced her to Satanism. Her soul sacrificed to the devil before she could escape, she became Witch Woman, and was charged by Satan to capture Ghost Rider's soul. She defeated the then-novice hero, but started monologuing her origin, allowing him to escape- Satan punished her by forcing her to injure herself in front of the hero. Her father and fiance began caring for her comatose body, but Satan took control of her body, and she escaped. She was saved by GR and the Son of Satan, who escaped Hell by fighting through a horde of demons. She soon became an ally, teaching Johnny Blaze how to better use his powers (this was how he learned to create a Flame Cycle), and soon fell in love with him. He loved Roxanne, however, and sent Linda away- she returned to her reservation, marrying her fiance, though she no longer loved him.

-Mephisto (since revealed as the "Satan" in the earlier stories) appeared before Linda years later, asking her to once again become Witch Woman, and she agreed. She attempted to seduce a modern Blaze, but he shot her with his Hellfire Gun, then had her arrested. She's yet to reappear. Overally, a pretty weird story- a victim of naivete and circumstance who gets a pretty sad ending, all things considered.

-Witch Woman has some pretty powerful Hellfire Control, letting her do some pretty inventive things (like Johnny Storm's Fire Objects power, or draining Ghost Rider's own Hellfire). Despite that, she's a very "70s" opponent, and thus doesn't have a very high PL.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Lilith (Demon Queen)

Post by Jabroniville »

LILITH
Created By:
Howard Mackie & Andy Kubert
First Appearance: Ghost Rider #28 (Aug. 1992)
Role: Mother of Demons
PL 13 (282)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Magic) 19 (+23)
Expertise (History) 5 (+9)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 2 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 4 (+12)

Advantages: 
Benefit 4 (Queen of the Lilin), Chokehold, Close Attack, Improved Critical (Magical Blasts) 2, Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 5, Ritualist, Startle

Powers:
Immunity 11 (Life Support, Aging) [11]
"Magical Might" Variable 15 (Magical Powers) [105]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Magical Blasts +12 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +14, Fortitude +14, Will +11

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Lilith seeks to take over the entire world, using her children The Lilin.
Power Loss (Depends on Followers)- Lilith's power can be dependent upon the number of her followers. If many are slain, she will slowly lower in power.

Total: Abilities: 114 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 121 / Defenses: 14 (282)

-Lilith was sort of the crux behind the whole "Midnight Sons" line- an immortal Demon Sorceress from Ancient Atlantis, and one of its few survivors, she unleashed her numerous children (an assortment of Demonic Mooks), but was sealed within the leviathan Tiamat by rival sorcerers, and trapped for millinnia. She used her magic to affect the outside world, but is finally unleashed in the modern world. She chooses to fight against some beings who threatened her- these being Ghost Rider, Blaze, The Nightstalkers, The Darkhold Redeemers, Doctor Strange and Morbius- The Living Vampire.

-As a result, nearly every book featuring the "Midnight Sons" tag was a never-ending string of fights against one-off foes with curious powers and hideous looks. Lilith herself was problematic, because she was that weird combination of Fanservice and Weird-Looking that left her kind of "meh" in my eyes- even Preteen Jab wasn't entranced by her giga-cleavage outfit, because it was pretty clear that her Wolverine Mask-Fans were PART OF HER HEAD, which looked way too freakish.

-Of course, they teamed up, killed her children, and erased her existence. She kinda-resurrected for a bit, at this point working for Centurious- an old Blaze foe. Eventually, however, she and her children were banished to the "shadowside" dimension. However, with the death of the Ghost Rider comic and its line, her creator Howard Mackie joining the names of creators no longer with any power at Marvel Comics, and the fact that every new updated Ghost Rider book featured all-new threats instead of old ones (as the '90s book was now considered a relic emblematic of a bad period for comics), meant that she was un-used.

-And HOLY HELL was that a downgrade- the Big Bad of an entire line of comics, to disappearing for ten years, until a mid-book cameo in Captain Britain and MI-13, itself a third-tier book. She was shown as having been imprisoned within Avalon for whatever reason, and was freed alongside other demonic forces by Pete Wisdom, all so he could have the Skrulls banished en masse from the shores of England. She later appears as part of Dracula's inner circle as they prepare to invade the United Kingdom... but is largely-ignored by the story, never doing anything of note save the occasional "hand-wave" to explain away certain things (like why Dracula's forces aren't savagely burned by sunlight when they're flying around in space- where the Sun is much more dangerous).

-Huh, no bio-site lists her magical capabilities. SO IT'S VARIABLE POWER THEN! She's very powerful- enough that Doctor Strange didn't try to just Magic her away, and she also holds sway over a bunch of Elite Demon Mooks. Her Power Level is extremely high, even for a Marvel villain, making her something nobody can afford to just brush off- it took a fairly large concentration of super-heroes to kill her the one time, and in Captain Britain, she managed to create a force field that covered the entire United Kingdom, preventing any outside forces from coming in to help. She's basically the villainous version of a deus ex machina in that tale, as that's something like a 20-rank Create Power, or Affects Others Force Field at a massive scope.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Zarathos! Ghost Rider! Deathwatch! Lilith!)

Post by greycrusader »

Witch Woman's look is SUPER-1970s, as if the artist just throw fringes (because obviously a Native American character HAS to have fringes or feathers on the costume) with a generic 70's soft-core porn movie outfit. And the whole Sorority of Satan Worshipers thing is also MASSIVELY dated, from grade-C indie horror movies.

I imagine the character got a return because the writer/artist vaguely recalled her and didn't bother to look up how Witch Woman was actually kind of a decent hearted victim of black magic, not someone who would cut a deal with Mephisto. Or just didn't care, since she's such an utterly nobody as a villain or supporting character.

You know, its really odd how Danny Ketch went from being a HUGE hit to an utter obscurity in comics within a decade; I realize the character ended up with a "stink" on him because that version of Ghost Rider was incredibly IRON AGE (shoulder pads! spikes! sister in coma and then murdered by a demon! hellfire chain!), but still...I'd blame it on how horribly convoluted the poor guy's origin story got (ret-conned into Johnny Blaze's half-brother! his powers come from an ancient medallion, no wait-possession by Noble Kale, not wait, he's an Angel of Judgement!) but hell, the Punisher survived being turned into a divine hit-man going after demons. And then Frankencastle.

A BIG part of this is how movie and TV adaptations of characters FORCE editors and writers into going "back to basics"-Disney and WB are chasing fans of the shows and movies, and those just about always feature the versions which screenwriters grew up with, which means Flash is Barry Allen, Hulk is a green, inarticulate brute, and yes, even Ghost Rider is Johnny Blaze. Note how prior to this, just about EVERY character except the super-popular ones who had passed into pop culture on a big scale were subject to change; Wally West was THE Flash for close to twenty five years, Dick Grayson grew up into Nightwing and never looked back, the Hulk was Grey Hulk and/or the "Prof" Hulk for a decade, etc. So it actually pushes real change or character development backward by tying it to a much more slowly evolving medium

All my best.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, Ketch is one of the weirdest examples of that- Punisher died a similar death as a character... but came roaring back with a comeback thanks to Ennis/Dillon.

Hell... that's probably the only reason anyone still cares about him. That run was considered pretty creatively good (maybe not GREAT... but definitely good), and then some movies followed. Ketch suffered from both NOT having that kind of a revamp, but also had his "Big Movie" be taken by his predecessor (who truthfully has a MUCH better name and origin).

This left Ketch, one of Marvel's biggest cash cows of the early 1990s, an utter relic. Adding two MORE GRs since then has only ruined what could have possibly been made out of him. Anyone trying "Back To Basics" goes back to Blaze (who ironically was nowhere near as successful a character as Ketch).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

*whew*! FINALLY finished another big round of transferring pics from PhotoBucket to SmugMug. This time around, I got the Ever After High set, plus Big Hero Six! I was thinking I was almost finished... then I looked at my list and saw a full array of Avatar AND Star Wars builds that'd never been transferred over yet. The 3-4 steps required to do this makes this all VERY time-consuming and irritating, particularly because Ronin Army is an awful, AWFUL forum- Editing a page sticks you in the MIDDLE of your post instead of the top (where the pictures are), and it only allows four pics per image, so it's annoying if you paste too many over.

So basically the sets I need to transfer over:
Star Wars: 179 pics
Video Games (Final Fight & stuff): 51 pics

So I've made considerable headway (the Animal Builds were the most arduous), but I'm just about finished!
Jabroniville

The Lilin

Post by Jabroniville »

THE LILIN:
-Not gonna lie: a HUGE chunk of why I started a "Ghost Rider" set was so that I could finally figure out the whole story on these guys. This is a thing I'd wanted to do for years, but never really got around to it.

-The Lilin are a band of baddies created by their mother, Lilith, who formed a demon army to help her rule the world. Pilgrim would help them find various others of their kind, and it would turn out that GR's foe Blackout was Lilith's own grandson. The Lilin eventually attacked Johnny Blaze's carnival, with the Spirits of Vengeance slaying Creed and fighting back the others. Meatmarket was slain by the Nighstalkers in their book's first issue, but various other Lilin would constantly be popping up. In one big battle, Meatmarket was brought back to life and killed, Pilgrim slain, and Fang killed by Morbius. Lilith would eat the sole survivor to regain some strength, but resurrect many of her children in a later battle.

-The Siege of Darkness story arc saw Lilith and Zarathos ally against the Earth, but most of the Lilith were again killed, and Lilith's obscurity meant her children would remain unseen as well.

LILIN TEMPLATE
Created By:
Various
First Appearance: Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Nighstalkers & Marvel Comics Presents Issues
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliation: The Lilin
PL 7 (69)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+8)
Expertise (Occult) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 7 (+7)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Startle

Powers:
"Immortal Demons"
Immunity 3 (Disease, Poison, Aging) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Lilith's Will)- Most Lilin are fanatically devoted to their "mother".

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 7 (69)

-It turns out that many, MANY of the Lilin were simply one-off "Freak of the Week" opponents in filler stories. More than one appear as baddies in Marvel Comics Presents one-offs that have no other purpose other than to fill a story and almost cross over to the main Ghost Rider line, as demons vex the Scarlet Witch, Devil-Slayer and others. Others are threats that only opposed one villain (Bloodthirst & Parasite fight Morbius; Short Circuit only faces the Nightstalkers). Baseline Lilin are PL 7 barely-above Mook-status guys.

Lilin Members:

BAD TIMING- PL 8 (89): "Time Control" Affliction 8 (Speed/Athletics; Dazed & Vulnerable/Defenseless & Stunned/Paralyzed) (Ranged, Accurate 4) [20]
-Bad Timing could control time, whatever that means. He was shot by Louise Hastings during a battle involving a mass number of Lilin, then finished off by Frank Drake's exorcist gun "Linda".

BLOODTHIRST- PL 9 (81): ST 8, STA 8 [12]
-Super-strong and with some vampiric traits, Bloodthirst had three-digit hands and red skin. He was actually part of a very "slow burn" story arc in Morbius, as his essence was injected into Michael Morbius, giving him some shapeshifting/Elongation-based powers and greater ferocity- this included causing Morbius to murder Louise Hastings of the Darkhold Redeemers. But Morbius eventually fought off the control, and Bloodthirst manifested as a bit of a Mirror Image Villain. However, during their fight, the genius Morbius injected him with a chemical compound that caused Bloodthirst to suffer a fatal heart attack and die. He disintegrated into dust, and was never seen again.

CARVER- PL 8 (84): ST 8, STA 8, FIGHTING 8, Immunity 5 (Hellfire) [15]
-Carver is a huge guy who dresses like a surgeon, and "has an affinity for sharp objects".

CREED- PL 8 (109): "Body Part Separation" Summon Body Part 2 (Extras: 8 Minions +6, Horde, Controlled), "Sonic Green Light Beam" Blast 8 (Accurate 4) [40]
-Creed is ancient, having been around in Atlantean times. He is a spiritual sort who wanted no part in fighting, but did Lilith's will. When the Lilin first attacked, Creed was massacred by Johnny Blaze, who shot away his body piece by piece, leaving only Creed's head. He thanked Blaze for finally giving him peace, then expired.

DARK LEGION- PL 7 (101): Summon Clones 4 (Extras: Horde, 8 Minions +6) (Flaws: Source- Bleeding) [32]
-A background guy with a trucker's cap. He could turn into clones of himself, but only if he bled, it seems- he thanks officers for shooting at him, and springs clones up from the blood.

DOC- PL 6 (75): ST 3, STA 4, INT 4, Treatment 6 (+10), Knives +2 [6]
-A medical genius, Doc did a lot of background stuff, and used two giant surgical knives. The maniacally-smiling villain got Meatmarket a new body and modified some Darkholder ninjas into demonic hybrids. He was killed by the Midnight Sons during a battle in Greenland, but was later seen spying on them during the Siege of Darkness.

FANG- PL 7 (78): "Black Slime Form" Slithering, Insubstantial 1, Features: Poisonous Blood, Claws +1 [9]
-Fang is devoted to his mother, and protects Lilith as a bodyguard of sorts. Morbius eventually killed him by sucking his blood dry. He was eventually resurrected, but did nothing but background stuff.

GIRTH- PL 7-9 (107): Deflect 10 (Extras: Reflection, Redirection), Ranged Attack 8 [38]
-A huge, fat green guy, Girth could redirect powers around, causing the Spirits of Vengeance to strike each other. When someone explained this to Ghost Rider, he threw his chain around in multiple directions, killing Girth. He only appeared in an issue of Marvel Comics Presents.

THE INFINKS
-The Infinks are one-off menaces who vexed a drunken Devil-Slayer during a single Marvel Comics Presents comic- he accidentally summons them from another dimension, but eventually sends them back. They appear to be demonic, mutated babies, and don't seem to carry any particular powers beyond being a massive horde.

MANBAT- PL 7 (75): Flight 6 (Winged) [6]
-No relation to the DC character... this guy can fly. That's all I got.

MEATMARKET- PL 8 (89): ST 8, STA 8, FIGHTING 8, "Graft Body Parts" Variable 2 (Flaws: Requires Body Parts, Limited to Powers Possessed By Those Parts) [20]
-The villain from Nightstalkers #1, Meatmarket appears to be a huge corpse with ribs sticking out of his body. He is slain by the Nightstalkers (with his head sent back to his grieving mother by the Nighstalkers, meant as a warning). She resurrects him with Doc's help later on, but he's killed once more. He returned once again, this time acting as a recurring "Background Mook", never again mattering to any stories. He was last seen as one of many demons fought by Devil-Slayer. He hasn't appeared since 1994. It's said that his body was actually invisible, and that he required grafted parts in order to be seen.

NAKOTA- PL 7 (94): Precognition 4, Remote Sensing (Vision) 8, Regeneration 5 [25]
-A young Lilin, Nakota was recruited alongside Fang. She is a bit stronger and tougher than most people. As the most-passive Lilin, she was often used as "bait" for the heroes, or the "eyes" of her team, seeing as how she could see the future, and for miles away.

OUTCAST- PL 8 (79): ST 6, STA 6, FIGHTING 1, Senses 4 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Tracking) [10]
-This guy is strong-looking and really furry, with spikes on his body. I don't know much about him other than his appearance. It's said that he at first ignored his mother's call, but only came to help her later. I think this means the writers later just included him in a later group without explanation, LOL.

PARASITE- PL 8 (154): Mind Control 6 (Extras: Possession), "Mist Form" Insubstantial 2, Ranged Attack 8, "Empower Others" (All Have Affects Others Only) Lightning Blast 8, Blast +2 (Must Be Struck First), Flight 6, Strength +2, Stamina +2 [85]
-Parasite takes part in an odd arc in Morbius, as Morbius's vampiric ex-girlfriend Martine Bancroft is resurrected, but is tainted by the power of a Lilin. The Parasite controls her, giving her various Magical Powers as well, until Morbius is able to kill Martine once more. The Parasite reveals itself and lashes out, but is one-shot-killed by a Hellfire-spouting ally of Morbius's named Empyrre, who now realizes on which side to fight. It is unclear how many powers are Parasite's and how many come from his host, but Martine never showed the powers after the "Empower Others" abilities listed above.

PILGRIM- PL 9 (91): "Cut a Portal" Damage 8, Dimensional Travel 3 (Portal +2), Claws +2 [22]
-A devoted Lilin, Pilgrim was the "Team Transport". He was killed by a Lilin version of Danny Ketch, who forced Pilgrim to cut a portal into his own stomach. He attempts a romance with Nakota, but is "easily beaten" by Blaze & Ghost Rider, and is forever trapped within the Shadow Side Dimension.

PIXIL- PL 10 (194): Insubstantial 3, Morph 4, Variable 10 (Limited to Within The Cess), Affliction 10 (Transformed to Cess Electronic Creature) (Continuous +3, Limited to Final Degree) [125]
-Pixil comes from a weird Marvel Comics Presents one-off by some guys (Cefn Ridout? Charles Adlard?) I've never heard of, who probably just wanted to tell some oddball story that had no other place. Pixil was sent to the internet by Lilith in order to corrupt the Earth's "electronic arteries" with dark mist, but was instead changed by the experience. He ruled over The Cess, the place that holds all deleted files and internet things for some future purpose- it was built around the sleeping Ars Magna (some monster thing), which awakens and assaults Pixil while he was trying to convert the Scarlet Witch into one of The Cess. She escaped but Pixil was dragged back by the creature, and never reappeared.

SCATTER- PL 7 (87): Mind Control 6 (Visual Perception, Touch Range) [18]
-Scatter has big ears and, apparently, hypnotic powers.

SHORT CIRCUIT- PL 9 (80): ST 3, STA 3, Deflect 10 (Limited to Electrical Energy), Dimensional Travel 3 (Attack 8, Requires Electricity), Immunity 5 (Electrical Effects), Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4) [11]
-Short Circuit appears as a death row inmate unaware of his Part-Demonic heritage, and requires Electrical energy to live. He was thrown in the electric chair, but this only activated his powers, and he killed most of the people in the prison and freed the inmates. The Nightstalkers were hired by an inmate's sister to investigate, and fought him. Blade & Hannibal King were sent into another dimension by the villain, but Frank Drake used the energies of the "Linda" gun to bring them back, then shut off the prison's auxiliary power, reverting the villain to dust.

SISTER NIL- PL 9 (104): "Succubus" Weaken All Abilities 8 (Broad, Simultaneous), Regeneration 6, Expertise (Magic) 8, Ritualist [35]
-An itty-bitty girl who looked like an attempt at recreated DC's Death, Sister Nil was a Lilin meant to infiltrate Dr. Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum, where she killed Wong's fiancee. Strange beat her, but she soon loosened her bonds to Lilith, and came to appreciate and love Strange. She eventually left after saving Strange's life (and feeling jealousy towards Clea, Strange's love), trying to find her way in the world. She hasn't been seen since.

SKINNER- PL 10 (111): ST 9, STA 9, FIGHTING 10, Slashing Aura 6 [42]
-A savage, bestial fighter, Skinner is the strongest Lilin. He was a skeletal demon who took human form, and had even settled down to raise a family. When Lilith came calling, he killed them and added their flesh to his body as a memento, blaming the heroes for fighting Lilith, and necessitating their demise (he didn't want his family being used as Lilith's pawns). He recovered from being "blasted to ashes", but after the Siege of Darkness, was imprisoned in a jail designed specifically for demonic types. After a while, he broke out and fought Ghost Rider a few more times, slaughtering his way across the nation tryind to find his enemies once Lilith was killed. Ghost Rider caught up to him and dragged him from his motorcycle for two hours until Skinner surrendered- he was imprisoned in The Vault.

SKITTER- PL 7 (71): ST 4, AGILITY 5 [2]
-Skitter is a puny guy who is only seen fleeing the fight involving Girth and the heroes, summoning Lilith to help. He is congratulated for his quick-witted thinking, but does not reappear.

SPIT FIRE- PL 8 (89): Blast 8, Accurate 4 [20]
-Spit Fire had flame breath. This reptilian Lilin was killed by Mordred after nearly killing Jinx of the Darkhold Redeemers during an attack on the Brooklyn Bridge.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:10 am, edited 7 times in total.
Jabroniville

Anton Hellgate

Post by Jabroniville »

ANTON HELLGATE
Created By:
Howard Mackie & Ron Garney
First Appearance: Ghost Rider #48 (April 1994)
Role: Forgotten Magic Guy
Group Affiliations: None
PL 10 (221)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Thanatologist) 10 (+13)
Expertise (Criminal) 8 (+11)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 1 (+5)

Advantages: 
Benefit 3 (Wealth), Equipment (Wing Attachments- Flight 5), Connected, Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
Power-Lifting 1 (25 tons) [1]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Magical Blast 10 (Flaws: Rank 9-10 Limited to Magical Beings) [18]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Blast +10 (+8-10 Ranged Damage, DC 23-25)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +9, Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications: 
Motivation (Greed & Power)- Hellgate is a crimelord.
Motivation (Learning About Death)- Hellgate wants to create creatures of great power from dead bodies, and wishes to learn all he can about death itself.

Total: Abilities: 92 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 10 (221)

-You have no idea how much this guy has been pestering me. See, the PROBLEM was, I was statting up the "A" guys, and his name popped up. Unfortunately, since I'd by then decided to stat up "Ghost Rider" characters in one fell swoop, I figured I would leave him until then. And so he remained- a single name from "The List" under the "A" names, including on my Master Sheet (a piece of paper with names blanked out). And since I am OCD as balls and INSANE, this single name sticking out amidst a sea of blacked-out "A" names has been irking me for like, MONTHS. To the point where I had to stat him out weeks ahead of the rest of the "GR" names. Maybe I should see a shrink.

-In any case, Anton Hellgate is a death-obsessed businessman and crime-boss, creating genetically-altered henchmen out of dead bodies, all for sale to the highest bidder. He thus created Snowblind, Dead, Rak & Ripper as his own henchemen. He sent several henchmen to kill members of the NYPD, but Vengeance (himself a cop) intervened. Hellgate became a manipulator who wanted Vengeance to fall into his grasp, in an attempt to understand the nature of the being's powers.

-Hellgate seemingly was set up as the new "Big Bad" of the Ghost Rider title, replacing the deceased & defeated Lilith & Deathwatch- a crimeboss with mysterious magical powers (ie. '90s-style Blasts), he frequently fought the characters and plotted away behind the scenes, though he was beaten pretty early on in a match against the Penance Stare of Ghost Rider. He captured Vengeance and tortured him for information, but at the same time Ghost Rider destroyed much of his property and organization structure. Vengeance finally escaped, and Hellgate took a ten-issue break before returning as a recurring menace once more. Things culminated in a final battle in Ghost Rider #76, featuring Hellgate and all of his allies against Ghost Rider and all of HIS allies- the two leaders squared off, but Vengeance lived up to his name, divebombing Hellgate. Hellgate's minions tried to pull him off, but he exploded in a blast of hellfire, killing Hellgate and all of his goons, save Snowblind. The character has never reappeared- dying about two years after he was created.

-Hellgate is smart and connected, but lacks raw power- Ghost Rider has beaten him pretty handily, despite that Blast.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Jab's Builds! (Zarathos! Ghost Rider! Deathwatch! Lilith! The Lilin!)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

The Lilin are jobbers I can get behind. I can't believe they have a Manbat. 8-)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Zarathos! Ghost Rider! Deathwatch! Lilith! The Lilin!)

Post by Ken »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:32 pm The Lilin are jobbers I can get behind. I can't believe they have a Manbat. 8-)
Who looks like what would happen if Kirk Langstrom was a nudist....
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.