Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
HalloweenJack

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Ogres! Hill & Stone Giants! Geodude! Trolls!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

been browsing this thread for a week or so. really loving it. keep up the giant boobs....er....good work
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Ogres! Hill & Stone Giants! Geodude! Trolls!)

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:58 am been browsing this thread for a week or so. really loving it. keep up the giant boobs....er....good work
thanks! I fear I may have posted too quickly, given that this is mostly a re-post thread but there's a lot of writing. I've switched to "one a day" posting so I don't run out too soon. I do intend to stat the Original 151 Pokémon, eventually. Figuring out the ecology is the tough/fun part.
Jabroniville

Athach

Post by Jabroniville »

ATHACH:
Creature Type: Monstrous Humanoid, Giant
Typical Adult Height: 15'-18'6"
Birth Rate: 1-2 infants once every year
Lifespan: 0-9 (Child), 10-20 (Young Adult), 21-40 (Adult), 41-80 (Elder)
Nicknames: Abomination
Sexual Dimorphism: Mammaries & size, little else.
Skin Tones: Gray, Brown, Green
Hair: Mottled, patchy and short, all over the body
Racial Mounts & Animals: None
Racial Weapons: Large clubs (usually chunks of tree or building materials)
Religion: Orc Gods

Allies: Orcs, Goblins, Bugbears, Minotaurs, Hill Giants, Fire Giants

Encounter Groups:
Solo (1)
Gang (2-5 plus 0-1 Elite)
Band (5-12 plus 0-4 Elites, 0-10 Allies, 0-20 Slaves, 0-2 Monsters)

PL Variants:
PL 5-7: Weaker Specimens
PL 8: Common Athach
PL 8-9: Elites
PL 10+: Important Characters

-Athaches are an abomination to most Giants- they match some of the largest Giants in the world in terms of size (15-18 feet typically), but they have huge jaws, large lower tusks, peglike other teeth, their skin is a sickly pallid green, and most notably, a huge, skinny arm jutting out from some part of their torso. Most Athaches feature this limb in the dead centre of their chest, but others have one on their side, stomach, or even jutting out of their neck. This is rumoured to be the result of an association between The Giant Gods and dark forces- certainly no other Giants (or even other Humanoids) possess an odd number of limbs naturally. Athaches are probably the rarest Giants of all, taking part in only small tribes that often quickly break up.

ATHACH
Role:
Large Brute
PL 8 (84)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+4)
Intimidation 12 (+10, +12 Size)
Perception 6 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Rocks) 2 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+4, -1 Size)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Equipment 3 (Huge Club), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Club), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Growth 5 (Str & Sta +5, +5 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -5 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [11]
"Giant Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
"Giant's Size" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach 2) [3]
"Giant Stride" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Wall of Mass" Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]
"Third Arm" Extra Limb 1 [1]

"Athach Fever- Bite" Strength-Damage Linked to Weaken Strength 5 (Extras: Progressive +2) [15]

Equipment:
"Rocks" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Resticted to Large Creatures) (Extras: Ranged 9) (11) -- (12)
  • AE: "Giant Club or Cleaver" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Restricted- Size) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (6)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
War Club +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Thrown Rocks +6 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10, Fortitude +11, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (Hill Giants)- For unknown reasons, Athaches are intolerant of Hill Giants, and will attack them on sight.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 15 (84)

Jab's Notes: I kinda liked Athaches in the first Monster Manual I ever read (D&D 3.0's). I thought they were a type of Giant (further inspection revealed they were "Abberations"), and I always dug Giants- they're enough like them anyways, basically fulfilling the same old "Giant Monstrous F***er" concept as most Giants (especially Hill & Frost Giants- Athaches are CR 7, while FGs are CR 9), being a tad lower level than some of the elites (which is odd, given that they're larger and have an extra limb for more attacks). I decided to cart them over to my setting (they're Public Domain enough for "Pathfinder" to use them as well)- just another Giant trotting around the countryside. It's about the same level as your typical "Common Giant" from the other races- it didn't feel right having it be weaker. It's not like CR 7 & 9 are that far apart when you squish 'em down to M&M stats anyways. It's "Extra Limbs = More Attacks" thing is really just reflected in it's accuracy and damage.
Jabroniville

Forest Giants

Post by Jabroniville »

FOREST GIANT:
Creature Type: Humanoid, Giant
Typical Adult Height: 16'-20'
Birth Rate: 1-2 infants once a year
Lifespan: 0-10 (Child), 11-15 (Young Adult), 16-99 (Adult), 100-150 (Elder)
Nicknames: Green Giant
Sexual Dimorphism: Mammaries & size, more delicate features.
Skin Tones: Varying shades between green, yellow and brown
Hair: Varying shades between green, yellow and brown
Racial Mounts & Animals: None, use Giant Wolves, Big Cats, Giant Eagles or Utahraptors as Animal Aides
Racial Weapons: Large spears, bows & arrows
Religion: The Gods of The Wild, Plants, The Harvest, The Hunt, Stealth

Allies: Humans (rarely), Wood Elves

Encounter Groups:
Solo (1)
Gang (2-5 plus 0-5 Animal Aides)
Band (6-10 plus 0-2 Elites, 0-15 Animals)
Tribe (11-40 plus 1-10 Elites, 5-50 Animals, 0-4 Giant Monsters)

PL Variants:
PL 6-7: Weaker Specimens
PL 8-9: Common Forest Giant
PL 10: Elites
PL 11+: Important Characters

-Forest Giants are among the tallest of the large Giant races, but weigh the least, given their slender frames. They are populous in most of the continent's larger forests, and usually keep away from outsiders and the other races unless intruded upon. Their skills at hunting, tracking and living off the forest are legendary, making them a well-sought-out people for apprentice Rangers. They are a mistrustful and distant people most of the time, but have good relations with some Wood Elves and Humans who live nearby, and rarely intrude upon their space unless they seek out war. The inner sanctums of their Tribes are heavily sacred, and few are ever allowed within- they dislike other sentients in "their" forests, but understand it is inevitable, and begrudgingly share it when lands converge. Other Forest Giants are more xenophobic.

-Forest Giants do not interact with most other Giants aside from Common Giants and Ogres who inhabit nearby areas. They tend to ignore and avoid their powerful, bulky cousins when possible, only attacking if they intrude upon the Tribes or attempt to steal their belonging. A more insular and ritualistic people than any other Giant-type other than the Stone Giants, Forest Giants worship The Hunt, the animals of the forest, and the very environment around them, often taking this to extremes, which leads to their distaste for others races' lack of understanding. Many violent interactions with these Giants and other races revolves around someone mistakenly cutting down a 'sacred tree' or slaying a beast that was currently celebrated under a certain calendar month, creating much hostilities. Despite their belief in the sacredness of things, they are not uniformly loving of the forest- they will still kill a great number of animals with impunity, even to excess, in the fervor of the hunt, even moving into Human or Orc lands to do so. This makes Forest Giants dangerous and potentially destructive.

-Despite a reputation for insularity and unkindness to other races, Forest Giants can and will train willing members of other races in their ways, but only if they have personally witnessed that individual's talent and skill, or they have the word of another friend or ally of the Tribe. The trainees are taken into parts of the Tribelands, taught their ways, and often strongly pushed towards their religious way of thinking, with a great deal of extremism.

Jab's Notes: Probably my favourite kind of Giant, I saw these guys in the "Monster Manual II" in Third Edition D&D, and was taken with the whole "Jungle Fighter" thing. I kinda made mine green or yellow, thus matching a pair of less-common Humanoid colour schemes, as well as the mythical "Green Man" of European folklore. What's funny is that these super-tall, poison-javelin-wielding, skinny-build Giants are VERY similar to the Na'vi of James Cameron's "Avatar", to the point where I fear anyone trying to use these guys will get accused of ripping the movie off :).

To combat this, I kinda make them a bit more fey and crazy-like, and as likely to be evil as your stereotypical "Forest-Loving Fantasy Hippie" Mary Sue (always a danger in making your favourite Character Race a Mary Sue group). Then there's the whole "arbitrary rules you may accidentally screw up" thing. It actually kinda bugged me how D&D seemed to make Druids into these Protectors of the Environment who wouldn't let a tree be cut down or an animal be hunted, since there are TONS of untouched forests in these worlds. It's not like extinction is a threat- there are HUNDREDS of animals in the Monster Manuals!

FOREST GIANT
Role:
Giant Man, Forest Creature
PL 8 (112)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+4)
Athletics 4 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Expertise (Forests) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 7 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+5, +7 Size)
Perception 7 (+8)
Stealth 6 (+8, +3 Size)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Equipment 7, Favoured Environment (Forest Terrain), Favoured Foe (Animals), Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2 (Bow & Arrow, Spear), Ranged Attack 7, Track

Powers:
Growth 5 (Str & Sta +5, +5 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -5 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [11]
"Giant Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]
"Giant's Reach" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach 2) [3]

"Forest Creatures"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Forested Terrain) [2]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Forested Disguise" Enhanced Skills 8: Stealth 8 (+11) (Flaws: Limited to Forested Terrain) [2]

Equipment:
"Bow & Arrow" Blast 7 Linked to Weaken Stamina or Strength 4 (Extras: Ranged, Progression +2) (30) -- (31)
  • AE: "Throwing Spear" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Ranged 9) Linked to Weaken Stamina or Strength 4 (Extras: Ranged, Progression +2) (27)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 22)
Bow & Arrow +7 (+7 Ranged Damage & +4 Ranged Weaken, DC 22 & 14)
Throwing Spear +7 (+9 Ranged Damage & +4 Ranged Weaken, DC 24 & 14)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +9, Fortitude +9, Will +3

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 13 (112)

-A basic Forest Giant is an extremely skilled hunter, tracker and warrior, able to follow far quicker and with more secrecy than such a large creature should. Their mighty bows are incredible long-ranged weapons, and they are equally skilled wielding large spears carved from entire saplings.

Jab's Notes: These guys are weaker than other Giants in their size-class, but they're more accurate, and much more Skillful, essentially acting like Rangers. They use Poisoned Ranged Weapons, and have the same Growth as a Frost Giant, despite being a notch taller- their lighter frames puts them down a bit.

Well, not THAT size, but the visual appearance is on point.

FOREST GIANT ELITE
Role:
Giant Man, Forest Creature
PL 10 (139)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Athletics 6 (+14)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Expertise (Forests) 10 (+10)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 12 (+13)
Intimidation 8 (+7, +9 Size)
Perception 9 (+11)
Stealth 6 (+8, +3 Size)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Equipment 7, Favoured Environment (Forest Terrain), Favoured Foe (Animals), Improved Aim, Improved Critical 3 (Bow & Arrow, Spear- any Allotment), Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10, Track

Powers:
"Giant Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]

"Forest Creatures"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Forested Terrain) [2]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Forested Disguise" Enhanced Skills 8: Stealth 8 (+11) (Flaws: Limited to Forested Terrain) [2]

Equipment:
"Bow & Arrow" Blast 7 Linked to Weaken Stamina or Strength 4 (Extras: Ranged, Progression +2) (30) -- (31)
  • AE: "Throwing Spear" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Ranged 9) Linked to Weaken Stamina or Strength 4 (Extras: Ranged, Progression +2) (27)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Bow & Arrow +10 (+7 Ranged Damage & +4 Ranged Weaken, DC 22 & 14)
Throwing Spear +10 (+10 Ranged Damage & +4 Ranged Weaken, DC 25 & 14)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 28 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 18 (139)

-Forest Giant Elites typically have an animal companion of some sort- typically a predator with excellent senses, and preferably large enough to do battle with a large herbivore, another giant, or a large group of Humanoid interlopers. This will increase the cost accordingly.
Shock

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Stone Giants! Geodude! Trolls! Forest Giants!)

Post by Shock »

Without some kind of immunity to poison, wouldn't using poisoned weapons be bad for hunting for food?
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Stone Giants! Geodude! Trolls! Forest Giants!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Cooking usually wipes out poison, I would imagine. Actual jungle tribes use poison to hunt animals plenty, and don't seem to suffer the effects. There's probably a timing thing, too.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I drew this picture ages ago when I was first coming up with Castellia- I really wanted to figure out just HOW big most of the Giants were, so I drew a pic of a human being alongside several Castellian races- an Orc, Centaur, Ogre, Troll, Marsh Troll, Stone Giant, Forest Giant, Fire Giant & Frost Giant.

The sheer size of a Giant is REALLY horrifying, actually. Imagine a real 15' tall person trying to fight you. With a WEAPON, even. Things like this make it seem kinda silly that a lil' dude like that human (who's actually in pretty good shape, though he looks pretty pathetic next to all those other guys) could kill even a HILL Giant, much less all of the other huge beings.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Forest Giants

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:45 am Image

But, at that size, the mountain climbing and spelunking opportunities are FANTASTIC.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Re: Forest Giants

Post by catsi563 »

Ken wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:05 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:45 am Image

But, at that size, the mountain climbing and spelunking opportunities are FANTASTIC.
Your hills and valleys
Are mapped by my intrepid fingers
And in a naked slumber
I dream all this again
~Snow Patrol Crack the Shutters
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Frost Giants

Post by Jabroniville »

FROST GIANT
Creature Type: Humanoid, Giant, Ice/Cold
Typical Adult Height: 13'5"-16'7"
Birth Rate: 1-2 infants once every two years
Lifespan: 0-10 (Child), 11-15 (Young Adult), 16-49 (Adult), 50-75 (Elder)
Nicknames: Ice Giant, White Giant
Sexual Dimorphism: Mammaries & size, more delicate features.
Skin Tones: White, gray or blue, light or dark shades
Hair: White, blue or green
Racial Mounts & Animals: Mammoths
Racial Weapons: Large axes, Spears
Religion: The Gods of Winter, Sailors, Raiding, Frost, Avalanches, Healing & Strength

Allies: Giants, Greenskins, Humans (usually as Slaves)

Encounter Groups:
Solo (1)
Gang (2-5 plus 0-5 Winter Wolves, 0-15 Slaves)
Band (6-12 plus 0-2 Elites, 0-20 Winter Wolves, 0-30 Slaves, 0-12 Mounts, 0-12 Animals, 0-5 Heavies, 0-1 Monster)
Tribe (10-45 plus 2-12 Elites, 2-40 Winter Wolves, 0-75 Slaves, 0-20 Mounts, 0-20 Animals, 0-10 Heavies, 0-4 Monsters)

PL Variants:
PL 6-7: Weaker Specimens
PL 8-9: Common Frost Giant
PL 10: Elites
PL 11+: Important Characters

-Frost Giants are possibly the most numerous of the large Giants in sheer numbers, as they have attained the largest individual kingdom of all Giant-kind, a section of land in the Northern Isles, bridging several huge island masses. This contained, powerful kingdom is considered impenetrable, and most Humans surrounding it have made no attempts at invasion or border-grabbing due to the sheer size and numbers of the Giants. Frost Giants are among the taller Giants, large blue/white Human-like creatures, featuring Nordic fashion, fur clothing, and helmets horned with Mammoth horns and Dragon teeth. As one of the few creatures that can survive in such cold climates, they are unopposed in power, and are a constant source of invasion-based worries for the bordering Human & Dwarf lands.

-Because of their centre of power and their propensity for cold weather, Frost Giants are rarely seen in other lands of Castellia, staying right where they are. This makes them one of the more mythical and feared Giant-types, despite being no more powerful physically than any other. Their kingdom is famously cruel, based around slavery of smaller Human & Dwarf races, and a great deal of their wealth is based around their raids of the others' territories for more riches, arts and slaves. It is known that Frost Giants are one of the few Giant-kin able to breed with humans. This is a rare occurence (the size difference alone produces some... biological problems), but many Norsemen from around the Northern Isles are known to have some "Frostblood" in them, producing great strength, muscle mass, and resistance to the cold.

-Frost Giant religion is seen as very fatalistic and disturbing to many outsiders. Their culture is often dependent upon raiding, and so Stahrl, the God of Raiding and Thievery, is very important to their culture. However, the God of Winter, Formir, is the key of their Pantheon. His children are the Gods of Frost, Avalanches and other winter-based themes. Surprisingly, Healing used to fall under their sight, as White Magic is often keyed to the Northern Frosts.

Jab's Notes: Frost Giants are my second-favourite Giant overall from the D&D books I've read- nothing like a bunch of giant, blue-skinned Norse Giants to act like the real-world Nordic raiding cultures. They make the most sense as having a large kingdom, the "random encounters" actually make sense (since they actively raid, as their own homeland is poor in resources), and most of all, they look cool. Of course, REAL Norsemen didn't actually wear horned helmets (any soldier/fighter will tell you that "Crap Hanging Off Your Head That's Easy To Grab"= Bad Idea), but since this is a fantasy world, they can wear the horns of Megaloceros and Giant Ox-things with pride. Like Fire Giants, I threw in a couple skin colours- I've seen enough blue or white Frost Giants in various media to justify the reasoning.

FROST GIANT
Role:
Giant Man, Arctic Creature
PL 8 (100)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Arctic Ranger) 7 (+7)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 8 (+7)
Intimidation 9 (+8, +10 Size)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+2, -3 Size)

Advantages:
Equipment 4, Favoured Environment (Cold Terrain), Improved Critical (Axe or Spear) 2, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2, Tracking

Powers:
"Giant Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light & Extended Vision) [2]
"Giant's Reach" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Reach 2) [2]
Protection 1 [1]

"Arctic Creatures"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic Terrain) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Norseman" Enhanced Skills 8: Stealth 8 (+5) (Flaws: Limited to Arctic Terrain) [2]
"Used to the White" Immunity 2 (Visual Dazzles) [2]
Immunity 6 (Cold, Cold Damage) [6]

Equipment:
"Axe" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical, Reach 2) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (9)
"Spear" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Penetrating 3, Ranged 7) (15)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Axe +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Spear +6 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10, Fortitude +9, Will +3

Complications:
Weakness (Fire & Heat)- Being Arctic Creatures, Frost Giants take extra damage from flames and heat.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 14 (100)

-Frost Giants are individually very powerful, and are experts at navigating their Northern wastelands for prey, slaves and wealth. Often appearing in bands of 4-6, with Mammoths to carry them or their gear, they can rush into settlements with great speed, annihilate those present, and capture those they deem fit. Slightly less powerful than Fire Giants (and possessing no immunity to Ice attacks, simply a resistance to cold weather), they are nonetheless the mightiest sentients in Northern lands, short of the mighty Dragons.

FROST GIANT ELITE
Role:
Giant Man, Arctic Creature
PL 10 (135)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Arctic Ranger) 10 (+10)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 10 (+10)
Intimidation 12 (+12, +14 Size)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+2, -3 Size)

Advantages:
Benefit (Frost Giant Status), Equipment 4, Favoured Environment (Cold Terrain), Improved Critical (Axe or Spear) 2, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 8, Skill Mastery (Arctic Ranger), Takedown 2, Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:

"Arctic Creatures"
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Norseman" Enhanced Skills 8: Stealth 8 (+5) (Flaws: Limited to Arctic Terrain) [2]

Equipment:
"Axe" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical, Reach 2) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (9)
"Spear" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Penetrating 3, Ranged 7) (15)
"Bone Mail Armour" Protection 1 (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Axe +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Spear +8 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications:
Weakness (Fire & Heat)- Being Arctic Creatures, Frost Giants take extra damage from flames and heat.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 20 (135)

-The best of the Frost Giants are often Rangers, deft travellers of the Northern Lands capable of surviving nearly any kind of terrain, and leading teams of vicious Winter Wolves, gigantic nine-foot-long canines that can ensnare and freeze travellers in their tracks, and follow all varieties of prey, be it sentient or not. The ultimate winter survivalists, Rangers are often the scouting party or the one that runs down fleeing enemies while drawn on massive sleds led by their Wolven charges.

Jab's Notes: Giant Elites fit a big range of PLs, but I ultimately realized that an "Elite" from a race of FIFTEEN-FOOT TALL PEOPLE should easily be a tremendous challenge for even a standard Comic Book Super-Hero. Thus, PL 10 fits quite well- one of these guys could give Spider-Man a run for his money, and when Thor has to go kick some pale blue ass in his own comic, he actually has a reasonable challenge ahead of him with groups of them.
Jabroniville

Winter Wolves

Post by Jabroniville »

WINTER WOLF (Canis arceus)
Role:
Evil Winter Hunter
PL 8 (126)- Minion Rank 8, Sidekick Rank 24
Normal Version:
PL 6
STRENGTH 7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Hunters) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 9 (+7, +8 Size)
Perception 7 (+9)
Stealth 4 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Set-Up, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) [3]

"Winter-Borne Creature"
"White Fur" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+10) (Flaws: Limited to Winter Conditions) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Winter Conditions) [2]
Immunity 10 (Cold Effects) [10]

"Ice Breath" Damage 6 (Extras: Fortitude Damage +0, Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) Linked to Snare 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) (Flaws: Touch Range, Unreliable- 5/day) [18]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Natural Weapons +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Ice Breath +6 Area (+6 Damage & Affliction, DC 21 & 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Winter Wolves cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (The Pack)- Wolves are known by a strict pecking order in the pack, with the Alphas getting first choice in any matter, and Omegas at the bottom. The pack fights as one, and moves as one.
Weakness (Heat & Fire)- Winter Wolves are highly-vulnerable to heat and fire-based attacks, taking much more damage from them.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 48 / Defenses: 9 (126)

Era: Fantasy Realms
Range: Arctic Regions
Stereotypes: Evil.
Colouring: White
Size: Up to 10 feet long (500-1000 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Packs of 3-12 led by adult mating pair.
Diet: Large herbivores, sentients
Tactics: Surround and bring down in groups, tripping or freezing prey.

Jab's Notes: Winter Wolves are basically a cool-looking bad-ass Fantasy Wolf that I got out of a Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual. I like the idea of "Animals plus powers" in Fantasy campaigns, plus the idea of a sentient, evil race of fearsome wolves running around out there. They have a great deal of PL 8 power, in addition to a PL 6 Snare/Damage Linked effect, allowing them to freeze & entrap creatures while Damaging their Fortitude in a Cone Area Effect.
Jabroniville

Bralox

Post by Jabroniville »

The creature is built like a more robust, white ram, yet is taller at the shoulder than a horse would be, and it's horns are far longer, making either a massive loop, or pointing up and backwards.

BRALOX (Ovis braloxus)
Role:
Huge Herd Animal, Mountain Herbivore
PL 7 (56)- Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 7
Normal Version:
PL 2
STRENGTH 6 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Horns), Interpose, Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 1 (8 mph) [1]

"Mountain Dwellers"
Enhanced Skills 4: Athletics 4 (+12) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Cold & High Altitudes) [2]
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]

"Horns" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Natural Size" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+7 Damage, DC 21)
Horns +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Bralox cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.
Responsibility (The Rut)- During mating season, males of the Bovidae Family will go all-out in competing with each other for the ladies. These take the form of brutal head-butting contests that leave them exhausted, and some dead.

Total: Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 11 (56)

Era: Fantasy Worlds
Range: Mountains & Plains
Colouring: White, brown, grey
Size: Up to 12 feet long (1,000-2,000 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Wild herds of 3-25 creatures.
Diet: Grass & vegetation
Tactics: Flee using speed or attack all-out with powerful horns.

-Basically a giant race of Sheep, these creatures exist as basically a prey species for the extra-big predators in Northern areas. After all, creatures that size require a large source of food.

This creature resembles the common Bralox, but is MUCH larger- approaching the sheer size and mass of an Elephant. Long white fur nearly reaches the ground, and it's covered in small patches of light brown fur and some dirt. It's horns resemble a Musk Ox, scaled-up.

GIANT BRALOX (Ovis braloxus)
Role:
Huge Herd Animal, Mountain Herbivore
PL 10 (96)- Minion Rank 7, Sidekick Rank 20
Normal Version:
PL 8-9
STRENGTH 8 STAMINA 11 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 11 (+13 Size)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Horns), Interpose, Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 1 (8 mph) [1]

"Mountain Dwellers"
Enhanced Skills 4: Athletics 4 (+12) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Cold & High Altitudes) [2]
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]

"Horns" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Natural Size" Growth 9 (Str & Sta +9, +9 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed) -- (30 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [19]
Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Reach 3) [7]
"Sheer Mass- Area Attack" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) [18]
"Thick Layer of Skin" Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 9) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Horns +7 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +12 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Bralox cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.
Responsibility (The Rut)- During mating season, males of the Bovidae Family will go all-out in competing with each other for the ladies. These take the form of brutal head-butting contests that leave them exhausted, and some dead.

Total: Total: Abilities: 0 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 16 (96)

Era: Fantasy Worlds
Range: Mountains & Plains
Colouring: White, brown, grey
Size: Up to 35 feet long (5-7 tons)
Encounter Groups: Wild herds of 3-25 creatures.
Diet: Grass & vegetation
Tactics: Attack all-out with powerful horns.

-Bralox grow to truly immense sizes in the farthest reaches of the Nordlands, reaching sizes beyond those of Elephants and most Mammoths. Prized mounts of the Frost Giants, they are also a source of meat, though usually only smaller specimens are taken.

Jab's Notes: These are basically like super-elite Arctic Elephants in scope, and can whup just about anything. I created these guys largely to fill an ecological niche- large things like Dragons and Frost Giants would require huge amounts of food to sustain themselves- so I could either make them creatures that either needed little food, or create a species of fast-breeding giant animals that could help sustain them. This, to me, more easily justifies the crazy creatures of the world.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

I've always been a fan of winter wolves, and I kinda feel they don't get used as often as they could be since they evoke a kind of mythic/fairy-tale atmosphere that many other monsters don't given their status as effective animal spirits.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Yeah winter wolves are a favorite of mine as well.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Stomrvald

Post by Jabroniville »

STOMRVALD, KING OF THE GRIMMSVELL FROST GIANTS
Role:
The Big Bad
PL 11 (231)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+12)
Close Combat (Axe) 1 (+12)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (The Arctic) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 4 (+8)
Expertise (King of the Frost Giants) 10 (+12)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 9 (+13, +15 Size)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+3, -2 Size)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit 5 (King of the Grimmsvell), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment 4, Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Cold Terrain), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Axe) 2, Improved Trip, Inspire, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Startle, Takedown 2, Withstand Damage

Powers:

"Arctic Creature"
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Norseman" Enhanced Skills 8: Stealth 8 (+7) (Flaws: Limited to Arctic Terrain) [2]

"Axe of Kings" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [18]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Penetrating 5)
Linked to
"Ice Snare" Snare 10 (Flaws: Touch Range) (27) -- (29)
  • AE: "White Light" Dazzle Visuals 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Touch Range) (20)
  • AE: "Ice Beam" Snare 9 (27)
-- (29 points)

"The Horn of the Grimmsvell" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [18]
Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- Hearing Perception, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Limited to Animals) (Quirk: Arctic Only) (29 points)

"King's Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [20]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 9) (10)
Immunity 5 (Arrows) (5)
Cold Aura 2 (Extras: Fortitude Damage) (10)
-- (25 points)

Equipment:
"Spear" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Penetrating 3, Ranged 7) (15)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Axe +12 (+12 Damage & +10 Affliction, DC 27 & 20)
Spear +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Axe Snare +8 (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +12, Fortitude +13, Will +10

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 35 / Powers: 86 / Defenses: 21 (231)

-Stomrvald is the mighty King of the Frost Giants, and controls by far the largest amount of land in all the Grimmsvell- most other Frost Giant Kings in the region pay some sort of tribute to him, and they must follow his orders or invite his wrath. It was not always so- Stomrvald was a third-tier member of the Royal Family (the second-youngest nephew of the King), and not expected to amount to more than his brothers. However, he grew up stronger than the other Frost Giants, and soon became his father's favourite, and a notable royal. The King's sons attempted to put him in more dangerous assignments (hunting a marauding Frost Worm, capturing a Frost Dragon's clutch of eggs for future training, taming a Giant Bralox), but he survived every one. No "underdog" story here- he proved himself the best, and was rewarded for it.

-Despite being a favourite to the King, the King's first son was of course made Grand Jarl. But Stomrvald was ambitious, and had a plan. Fearing assassination, he invaded the lair of Shtakarr, the mightiest Frost Dragon in history, an act of sheer suicide or genius. He offered the angry Dragon (after a pronounced battle that he barely survived) a deal: The Dragon would aid him in his eventual dominance of the region, and would be repaid by gaining assured safety, riches and whatever else he desired. The alliance would benefit them both, he explained. Shtakkar was Ancient even then, and was so impressed by the audacity (and creativity) of the Young Adult Frost Giant's suggestion that he agreed to it immediately- after all, what could it cost an immortal Dragon?

-Years passed, and Stomrvald grew in power. The King and his family were slain one horrible day, as a planned invasion of another tribe went awry when their ship was over-turned during a fierce storm (ie. Shtakkar killed them and used the storm as cover), and Stomrvald eventually gained the throne himself. A mutually-beneficial arrangement was set-out, and both Giant and Dragon were allowed to carve out a massive empire. Their alliance made short work of any opposition, and he soon took over the largest Frost Giant Empire since the days before the Gods of Men, Elves & Dwarves came to power. His Empire was only slowed by logistics (Frost Giants require great deals of food to eat, and prefer colder habitats), and even then he managed to demand tributes from every King around him (Human & Frost Giant alike), and often raided the rest. He sits on a massive throne of power, nearly invincible, while Shtakkar the Frost Dragon maintains one of the largest Dragon Lairs in existence, carved out of a mighty Glacier. Both have countless allies, henchmen, slaves and more, and would require huge armies to stop. Stomrvald himself has many sons and daughters with various wives, including various half-breeds with Snow Elves & Humans in the region (he has Alchemists at the ready to alter size for... things), and all are given training as elite warriors- boy and girl alike.

Jab's Notes: Another "Campaign Boss", Stomrvald (Norse language: something-Ruler/King) is one of those guys who has a massive empire in a far-off land, making him nigh-untouchable. For added drama, I made him the father of a Half-Frost Giant character in my heroic party- by virtue of having a human mother, the character is "only" 7'4". Stomrvald himself is PL 12 with his Axe Strike, and PL 11 in many other ways, making him a huge challenge for a group of PL 8-10 PCs.