Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Lockjaw

Post by Jabroniville »

LOCKJAW POOCH
Role:
Dog
Game Appearances: ClayFighter 33 1/3
PL 7 (107)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages: 
Close Attack, Ranged Attack 6

ClayFighter Fighting Style: 
Accurate Attack (Quick), Defensive Attack (Block), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Brutal), Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Dog Rush/Doggie Copter" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Multiattack 4) (Reduced Defenses -1) (6) -- [8]
  • AE: "Rising Bite" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical, +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (4)
  • AE: "Collar Throw" Blast 4 (Reduced Defenses -2) (4)
"Claytalities" Features 1: May Create a Unique Move as a Coup-de-Grace [1]
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Special Moves +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Collar Throw +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Dr. Kiln)- Lockjaw is loyal to his owner.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 7 + 7 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 11 (107)

-Lockjaw is the dog of Dr. Kiln, modified by science into a semi-sentient being loyal only to him. He was thought dead in ClayFighter 33 1/3, but turns up alive in Sculptor's Cut as a playable character.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Zappa Yow Yow Boyz

Post by Jabroniville »

THE ZAPPA YOW YOW BOYZ (Kapu, Gling & Fofo)
Role:
Terrible Trio, Cannibals
Game Appearances: ClayFighter 33 1/3: Sculptors Cut
PL 7 (88)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 7 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Expertise (Island Cannibals) 4 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+3)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages: 
Ranged Attack 6

ClayFighter Fighting Style: 
Accurate Attack (Quick), Defensive Attack (Block), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Brutal), Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Claytalities" Features 1: May Create a Unique Move as a Coup-de-Grace [1]

"Kid Toss" Blast 4 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Reduced Defenses -2) (Diminished Range -1) (4) -- [5]
  • AE: "Zappa Snappa" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Special Moves +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Kid Toss +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Getting Others Off Their Island)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 6 + 7 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 12 (88)

-Well, you gotta admit this is original- a trio of miniature cannibals, the Zappa Yow Yow Boyz are the only Fighting Game characters I've seen that are actually THREE PEOPLE as one fighter- three tots standing on each other's shoulders. They're natives on the Claymodo Island upon which all the characters find themselves. I statted them up as a single character for ease of translation, as otherwise things get kinda weird (with Blasts & Moves Limited to With Other Brothers).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Houngan! Sumo Santa! Earthworm Jim! Dr. Kiln!)

Post by Jabroniville »

All done ClayFighter! Took longer than I wanted to today, because work is nuts. This was an interesting set, largely due to my lack of familiarity with the characters these days. But hoo- that's a lot of characters. This is part of why I generally hesitate to do large-scale Fighting Games.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

GLA

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GREAT LAKES AVENGERS/DEFENDERS/X-MEN/CHAMPIONS/INITIATIVE (aka THE LIGHTNING RODS):

These guys are the kind of sucky characters that suck ON PURPOSE (this is opposed to the other kind that Rob Liefeld & Jeph Loeb normally produce). They're written as basically a set of dumb heroes who do dumb things, but try hard and are heroic nonetheless. Hawkeye generally gets wrapped up in their stories (he quit The Avengers to help them out), and they appear infrequently over the years. Every once in a while, however, Marvel gets the idea that these hilarious characters just absolutely need their own comic book series, and we find the occasional GLA book out there.

In general, I find them a whole lot less amusing than say, The Tick's deliberately-goofy comic book universe, and I think it's due to the fact that they're what I call "Saturday Night Live Characters"- people who are fine as a one-note joke, but the gag gets old after a while. It's not like "guy who dies a lot" has a great shelf-life as a gimmick, nor does "hero who is actually a fat woman who is actually a supermodel". These jokes are insanely simple, and once they wear off... you're left with nothing. The best jokes come from character and situations, not just something being physically absurd. I mean, Big Bertha being fat is an okay gag, but there's nothing else to it. Now, Deadpool being in love with her because she's fat and he's a chubby chaser? THAT'S funny. Deadpool being unattracted to her supermodel secret identity is a great gag, as is him unmasking after she does an "appearances don't matter" rant, which causes her to vomit.

Also, I generally prefer Joke Characters that were either accidentally stupid (the Dark Rider with no hands! Boomslang!) over "HUH-HUH, THIS GUY IS FLAT AND HIS NAME IS FLATMAN!" It's... just a REALLY EASY joke to make, you know? It takes about five seconds to create a character as good as any of these people. Plant Control... but only Leeks! Someone with the power of a Nite-Light! A guy who can change himself to match any ethnicity!

The team's gone through a few name-changes, usually based off of whose book they're appearing in these days- The Great Lakes Avengers/Defenders/X-Men/Champions/Initiative, and they got called The Lightning Rods when Thunderbolts was around (Hawkeye did the same "training" thing with the ex-villains, too).

The Group's Debut:
-The group forms when Mr. Immortal, upon realizing that he cannot be killed, decides to become a costumed adventurer, putting out an ad in the local paper for teammates. This group, The Great Lakes Avengers, features an assortment of goofy losers- Flatman, Doorman, Dinah Soar & Big Bertha. Hawkeye & Mockingbird spot the team's heroics, and though annoyed at their naivete and stealing of the "Avengers" name, agree to become their mentors. They actually take part in some real superhero missions (fighting Terminus, among others), being seen as guys who try hard, but are just a little too weak to be taken seriously.

Subsequent Appearances:
The group takes several large breaks over the years, as various writers don't feel the need to deal with them (their status as Byrne originals wasn't particularly helpful once he bailed from Marvel entirely). They show up fighting Maelstrom one time, and Dinah Soar is killed. Joining the squad is Squirrel Girl, who was then going through her own resurgence as a Comedy Character. Grasshopper also joins, but is killed, creating a running gag of newbies in the suit also meeting quick demises. Upon receiving a subpoena from the Avengers (who suddenly care about the name), and realizing that they're all mutants, they rename themselves the Great Lakes X-Men for a time. When Marvel Girl demands they drop the name, they switch to "The Great Lakes Champions".

During the post-Civil War era, they join up with the Superhuman Registration Act, forming the Great Lakes Initiative, becoming Wisconsin's respresentative, in the two-year period where they actually tried to actually go with the "each State gets their own superhero team" thing. Here, they ally with Deadpool in his comedy series. The hero Gravity gets hooked up with them by Norman Osborn, much to his dismay, and Squirrel Girl eventually leaves.

The Modern-Day Team:
-2016 saw a revamped Great Lakes Avengers book, which has one of those "Someone spammed out the entire plot on Wikipedia" descriptions, and it sounds kinda dumb.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Horsenhero

Re: Jab's Builds! (Earthworm Jim! Dr. Kiln! Great Lakes Avengers!)

Post by Horsenhero »

Funny thing about these GLA characters is that one of them (Mr. Immortal) is actually coming to television. The New Warriors series that has been optioned for a pilot will feature Mr. Immortal, Squirrel Girl, Night Thrasher and Microbe...so somebody thinks the "guy who won't stay dead" is worthwhile as a serious character.

Well, as serious as any character on a team with Squirrel Girl needs to be anyway.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

From what I've read, the New Warriors series is going to be more of a comedy series than a serious superhero series, sort of like Friends meets The Flash (CW). Which is a shame, given the Warriors were never a comedy team, but hey, I can't fault them for wanting to try a different genre of superhero television, and since the New Warriors have been the whipping boys of the MU since Civil War, it makes sense they'd use them for this idea.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Horsenhero wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 am Funny thing about these GLA characters is that one of them (Mr. Immortal) is actually coming to television. The New Warriors series that has been optioned for a pilot will feature Mr. Immortal, Squirrel Girl, Night Thrasher and Microbe...so somebody thinks the "guy who won't stay dead" is worthwhile as a serious character.

Well, as serious as any character on a team with Squirrel Girl needs to be anyway.
Bizarre that MICROBE of all people is getting his own TV character, given that his entire existence can be summed up as "Failed oddball character; died in Civil War and actually stayed dead".
Jabroniville

Re: Boogerman

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:12 pm

my best friend in seventh grade was OBSESSED with this game. I just didn't get the appeal even then
Yeah, that's... a weird one to find overly-amazing. It received more hype than almost any other game of its era (falling short of an Animated Series), but was so mediocre that I don't think anyone reviewed it above 70%.
Jabroniville

Mr. Immortal

Post by Jabroniville »

MISTER IMMORTAL (Craig Hollis)
Created By:
John Byrne
First Appearance: The Avengers West Coast #46 (July 1989)
Role: Easily-Killed Hero, Joke Hero
Group Affiliation: Great Lakes Avengers
PL 7 (123)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Card Player) 7 (+8)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 1 (+2)
Perception 3 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+3)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Interpose, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Homo sapiens supreme- Evolved Past Death"
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Immortality 18 [36]

"Crazed Return From Life" (Flaws: All Powers Require a Recent Resurrection, and Fade after several rounds)
Enhanced Strength 2 [2]
Enhanced Stamina 2 [2]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [0.5]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [0.5]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Crazed Return +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+5 Crazed Return), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Dinah Soar)- Mr. Immortal is the only human being to speak the dinosaur-girl's native language, and the two are also in love. It's one of comics' only examples of the woman being significantly uglier than the man.
Responsibility (Uncontrolled)- Mr. Immortal returns to life in a super-strong, uncontrolled state that makes him very dangerous. Only Dinah could calm him down when this happened.
Responsibility (The Great Lakes Team)
Reputation (Loser Hero)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 10 (123)

-"All you're threatening me with is death! And DYING's what I do best!" That about says it all for this guy- a hero who dies in nearly his every appearance- he has the totally original power to simply regenerate back to life in moments. Of course such a silly power necessitates him being kind of sucky to make up for its game-breaking, and being a Mort character on a deliberately goofy team suits that just fine. Mr. Immortal is the team leader, but isn't really that great of a leader- the whole concept is so inherently silly that they're nothing but a joke in-world, even when they DO save the entire universe during their better moments!

-Turns out his powers bring him to the attention of a Cosmic Entity named Deathurge, who played himself up as an imaginary friend for years, before revealing he's been watching Craig this entire time as he will eventually become the last living creature in the universe, and discover the secret to everything. Craig was initially suicidal after seeing his father and beloved stepsister die on separate occasions, but found that he could not die- this gave him the calling to become a superhero.

-Mr. Immortal and Dinah Soar became lovers, and he became the only one to figure out her language, while she was the only one who could calm him down in his psychotic "post-resurrection" state. However, she was killed fighting Maelstrom, Deathurge taking HER away, too- this made Craig realize that the being was definitely NOT his friend, though the being admitted to finding Craig like a "son". Craig realized he was Homo sapiens supreme, and this gave him renewed purpose, and he single-handedly stopped Maelstrom by convincing the villain to join him in suicide to avoid their ultimate purpose- to outlive everything. Naturally, Craig came back.

-Mr. Immortal's a pretty simple build: a guy who's a decent fighter (not compared to most melee fighter-focused heroes, of course) and reasonably in-shape, but is still basically human, but unkillable. Totally. Unkillable. He will Resurrect from ANY fatal wound within almost no time at all, no matter how bad it was (ie. True Resurrection), and Rage for a bit before calming down. He's PL 7 for most of his stats, and weaker than the rest of his team, since he has no actual offensive powers. His whole schtick is using suicide attacks or distracting people, since hey- you can't kill him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Before we get too much further- how did the hitboxes work in ClayFighters? I can see it being a major problem with all the odd shapes.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:55 am Before we get too much further- how did the hitboxes work in ClayFighters? I can see it being a major problem with all the odd shapes.
According to this guy on Twitter, they were a nightmare: https://twitter.com/lythero/status/7971 ... 89?lang=ms
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:45 am
Horsenhero wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 am Funny thing about these GLA characters is that one of them (Mr. Immortal) is actually coming to television. The New Warriors series that has been optioned for a pilot will feature Mr. Immortal, Squirrel Girl, Night Thrasher and Microbe...so somebody thinks the "guy who won't stay dead" is worthwhile as a serious character.

Bizarre that MICROBE of all people is getting his own TV character, given that his entire existence can be summed up as "Failed oddball character; died in Civil War and actually stayed dead".
Much like how Nega-Sonic Teenage Warhead was chosen for Deadpool solely due to her name, I imagine Microbe was chosen because of how lame he is, given the comedy nature of the show. I also imagine him and Mr. Immortal were chosen because their powers are pretty cheap. Mr. Immortal just gets back up after something kills him, while Microbe just does the "vague telepathic finger on the temple" move to let you know he's talking to bacteria.

I actually worry for poor Night Thrasher. He's either going to be the only serious superhero who gets made fun of for his name, or he's going to be every black stereotype on a skateboard.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I am reminded of the Thunderbolts / Lightningrods fight, where Mr. Immortal was the last one standing of his team and completely surrounded. He does his usual spiel about how the worst thing they can do is kill him, which won't work. "That's why they call me Mr. Immortal!"

Only for Moonstone to casually backhand him, knocking him out cold, quipping "Well I guess it's too bad they don't call you Mr. Conscious."

Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

I just think it's kind of funny that anyone finds Mr. Immortal game breaking at all. How many times do normal protagonists die in comics? Hardly ever. So, it's only the fact that he tends to act suicidally that gives his powers any "play" at all. After all, when compared to say...Wolverine...Mr. Immortal isn't game breaking at all. You could make him a fighter equal to Shang Chi and Wolverine would still be more game breaking. This is one of those times when a writer's/readers' perception has failed to take into account the conventions of the genre. His abilities are actually no more absurd than several other more "serious" characters.

The only thing that makes Mr. Immortal a joke is that he's written like one. This same concept could be taken and be handled well in a more serious book.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

It does make one wonder: what happens when Mr. Immortal is hurt, but not killed? If you break his arm, will it heal quickly, or will it just stay broken because it isn't a like threatening injury? And if the latter, if he's killed later, will the broken arm be fixed with the rest of him, or will only the lethal injury be taken care of?

It'd be funny to see him do his "worst you can do is kill me" schitck to someone like Bane, who proceeds to break his arms, legs and spine, retorting "That which does not kill you can still cripple you for life."