M&M 3e, Young Protectors OOC (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Horsenhero

M&M 3e, Young Protectors OOC (Full)

Post by Horsenhero »

Question-

I have an interest in running a M&M 3e Young Justice/Teen Titans-ish game in a homebrew setting where players would play a legacy character/mentee of one of the settings' established heroes. The game would start at PL 7 (but with 120pp) as the youngsters are all relatively new to the hero game.

The heroes would all be about high school age (14-16 yrs) at the start.

I would post pics of potential mentors with names and basic archetype or analogue (no real stats to start because that would take up way too much space). e.g. Tiger Woman (Crime Fighter)

The game would cover the basic "teen hero" tropes: Struggles with balancing school, homework and hero work. Young villains enrolled at the same school (because comics). Teen romance, etc.

My initial thought is to use a "dog years" approach to the game, where after the end of each major story arc there is a small time jump where the characters increase a PL (from 7 to 8 going, then 8-9 going from one grade to the next) for the first two PL's and then things move to "normal comic years" at PL9.

Game start stats: PL 7 120pp 4-6 players

Background-

The Ministry of Protection are the Earth's mightiest heroes. For years they have guarded the world from threats both native and extra-terrestrial, but even the mightiest of the mighty can suffer the ravages of age and injury. With this in mind, many of the Ministry have taken on proteges to carry on the fight when they are no longer able to. Operating out of a secret HQ underneath a skyscraper owned by Samuel C. Rowe (Mr. October), the young heroes are preparing for the day when they are the world's first, best defense.

Based in Ravensport (which is to Baltimore, Md what Gotham is to NYC) or New Chapel (a New Orleans analogue). HQ's and equipment in both locales are functionally identical even if cosmetically unique.

HQ Ravensport: Rowe Boat Yards, Warehouse C: Size: Large Toughness: 12 Features: Combat Simulator, Communications, Computer, Defense System, Dock, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Gym, Holding Cells, Infirmary, Living Space, Power System, Secret 3 (+20/DC30), Security System, Workshop 25 points

HQ New Chapel: Corleone Cannery, Abandoned Factory: Size: Large Toughness: 12 Features: Combat Simulator, Communications, Computer, Dock, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Holding Cells, Infirmary, Library, Living Space, Power System, Secret 3 (+20/DC30), Security System, Workshop, Workshop (magic) 25 points

Vehicle: Aero-sub: Size: G Str: 12 Speed: 8 Def: 5 Tough: 11 Features: Navigation System, Remote Control, Special: Air/Sea 25 points

Team Equipment: Comm-links 1pt ea.

viewtopic.php?p=27468#p27468 -Mentor pics
viewtopic.php?p=27469#p27469 -Mentor brief descriptions

Ravensport Prep. cast-IC thread- viewtopic.php?p=30443#p30443
Devil Dog viewtopic.php?p=27609#p27609
N'sekt viewtopic.php?p=27632#p27632
Presto viewtopic.php?p=27823#p27823
Rakshasa viewtopic.php?p=27722#p27722
Vulcan viewtopic.php?p=27494#p27494
Championnat Academie cast- IC Thread- viewtopic.php?p=30451#p30451
Blade of Poseidon viewtopic.php?p=27543#p27543
Blitz viewtopic.php?p=27596#p27596
Knave of Hearts/Jack Clubs viewtopic.php?p=27521#p27521
Warlock viewtopic.php?p=27647#p27647
Yeoman viewtopic.php?p=27617#p27617
Last edited by Horsenhero on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:44 am, edited 26 times in total.
Hawk

Re: Interest Check 3e Young Heroes Game

Post by Hawk »

I would be interested.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

I'm a huge fan of teenage heroes, and the idea of growing into the mask, so you've got me. I'm all in!

Are we able to flesh out our mentors as well? Not stat-wise, but personality, archetype, and our relationship with them?
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Zero Prime wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:15 pm I'm a huge fan of teenage heroes, and the idea of growing into the mask, so you've got me. I'm all in!

Are we able to flesh out our mentors as well? Not stat-wise, but personality, archetype, and our relationship with them?
Yeah. I may have some suggestions since all these guys are images cribbed directly from my DA page, so they mostly have write-ups, but I'm not going to have this "married" to those versions. There will plenty of space to make this unique and your characters your own with as minimal interference from me as I can manage (just to keep things from wandering beyond the envisioned parameters of the game).
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

I've always enjoyed your games. Color me interested!

Edit: If you have a Cap pastiche I would like to make a Shield-slinging Protege.

All-American

Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Hero4hire wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:39 pm I've always enjoyed your games. Color me interested!

Edit: If you have a Cap pastiche I would like to make a Shield-slinging Protege.

All-American

Well, my personal creative vibe really doesn't generally favor flag draped heroes, I have one (guns, no shield)...and she's even the daughter of a villain, so that's built in conflict.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Teen Titans and Young Justice are pretty much among my top ten favorite cartoons, so playing anything along that vibe is definitely of interest to me. Would have to see what you have for mentors to see if I can come up with a protege/legacy character though.
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

No Cap Junior. No problem.
Last edited by Hero4hire on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Sure I'm game been thinking of an arcadian academy game in the HU catsiverse could use a good fun warm up :)
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

I've an idea, not sure how it would work, I suppose that depends largely on the mentors, and their archetypes really. However, an idea is to play a paragon type teen, whose father is a Black Adam-eaque bad ass. Who witnessed the after effects of his father's re, perhaps inadvertently killing his wife, the character's mother while battling our mentors.

He turns his back on his father, and is taken in by a cowled crimefighter. Who both trains the young man, and keeps a cautious eye on him for any sign of betrayal, or loyalty to his birthright.

Basically a super powered skill monkey.
Horsenhero

Re: M&M 3e, Young Protectors (Recruiting)

Post by Horsenhero »

Ministry of Protection (mentor pics)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Horsenhero on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Ministry of Protection: names & archetypes-From the top, left to right, row by row

Thunderchief/ Douglas Dobstrom[Paragon]- Douglas Dobstrom is an immortal paragon possessed of the standard paragon power set, plus sonic powers. The weather in his immediate vicinity tends to reflect his state of mind, but this effect is uncontrolled.
Mr. October/ Samuel C. Rowe[crime-fighter]- A wealthy philanthropist, Sam Rowe took on the identity of Mr. October when one of his charities was infiltrated by the mob and used to launder money. Mr. October is a relentless pursuer of justice and is willing to bend the rules when need be. Samuel C. Rowe is a cunning businessman, having made his fortune in investing in others rather than trying to outplay others himself. He dedicates a large portion of his fortune to several charitable foundations he founded.

Tiger Woman/ Priyanka Bengali[crime-fighter]- A wealthy Indian ex-patriot, Priyanka is the chairman and founder of a telecommunications empire. Trained by her husband, a Gurka commando, she was drawn into crime-fighting when her uncle tried to take over her business by strong arm tactics. Her husband did not survive the conflict which has only strengthened her resolve.The struggle to defend what she'd built from his underhanded tactics opened her eyes to the injustices taking place all around her. Ever since, she has been active as a crusader for justice.

Io[warrior]- A demi-goddess, Io is the daughter of the Titan Rhea and a human adventurer. Trained in the arts of battle by the shades of the greatest warriors of antiquity she defends the Earth against threats beyond mortal ken. Her arch-nemesis is her mother's husband, the Titan Cronus.

Free Spirit/ Elizabeth "Betsy" York [warrior]- The latest avatar of the Spirit of Liberty, Betsy is often the moral compass of the Ministry. While she wears American colors, she views herself as an aspirational figure for everyone and holds no particular allegiance to any government.

Sequoia/ Albert Green [powerhouse/growth]- Albert is an enhanced human with the ability to increase his size, strength and durability at will. Albert is a social activist, dedicating his time and energy to a number of political causes.

Oceana/ O'shana [Weather Controller]- An Atlantean warrior princess, O'shana is one of the founding members of the Ministry of Protection and while she is loyal to her homeland, she is dedicated to defending the entire world.

Chain Lightning/ Jesse Lewis [Speedster]- A human mutated by a military experiment, Jesse is the pride of Ottawa. Unlike so many of his comrades in arms, Jesse does not feel the "weight" of his responsibilities, instead reveling in his unmatched speed. A writer of children's books in his civilian life, none of the horrors he's seen either as a soldier or super-hero has blunted his positive attitude, something that fellow veteran Thunderchief finds astounding.

Skylight/ Esmerelda Garcia [Light Controller]- The high-flying Skylight is the joker of the Ministry, able to find humor in the darkest times. She is literally and figuratively a bright spot, though her seeming inability to take anything seriously grates on heroes like Mr. October and Quiet Man. She is fearless though, subjecting street thug and universal conqueror alike to her snarky jibes.

The Quiet Man/ Caleb King [Gadgeteer]- Caleb King made his decision to fight crime at a young age when his sister was killed by gang bangers in Chicago. He saw them approaching her from behind, but being mute from birth he couldn't warn her. From then on he dedicated himself to fighting the evil he saw in the world. Caleb's inventive genius outstrips his physical gifts, so he relies heavily on technology to augment his effectiveness in the field. Ironically, given his disability, many of his inventions center around the manipulation of sonics.

Queen of Hearts/ Alys Bishop [psionic]- Alys began her journey to being a hero when her brother was abducted by aliens. She scoured the world in pursuit of a way to gain the power to locate and rescue him. After several years of searching she thought she found her answer. A scientist developed an experimental process for increasing a human's psychic powers and Alys jumped at the chance to volunteer. While she gained awesome powers based on the manipulation of emotional force, including the ability to summon her 'blade of passion" (a psychic construct powered by her emotional strength) she never was able to rescue her brother. He visited her one night to reveal he'd been the recipient of cosmic powers and was leaving Earth to explore the cosmos. Determined not to let her powers be wasted, she joined the Ministry of Protection.

Road Runner/Veronica Velasquez [speedster]- Kidnapped by one of Chain Lightning's enemies Veronica was doomed to being transformed into a weapon to be used against the speedster. Unfortunately for the villains Veronica had always been stubborn and during the battle with the Canadian Comet, she broke free of the mental conditioning and instead teemed up with him to bring the villains down. Since then she has dedicated her powers to making sure no others are treated like she was. She acts as a reserve member of the Ministry, called upon when their normal numbers prove insufficient.

Charisma/ Olivia Corleone [psionic]- The younger daughter of crime lord Alfredo Corleone, she inherited his mental powers. She is gifted with telekinetic abilities that allow her to mimic the physical abilities of a paragon, plus she has minor telepathic talents. She concentrates her crime fighting efforts on organized crime with a special emphasis on foiling the plans of her father (Dominator) and her sister Carmen (Sinister).

Tidal Wave/ Jorge Ramos [aquatic warrior]- Rescued from a sinking ship by a squad of Atlantean warriors, Jorge was gifted with a stone that transformed him into an oceanic champion. Similar to the stone which empowers his teammate Canis Major, this stone fused with his body and grants him powers. Jorge far prefers Atlantis to the surface world, but puts his hydrokinetic powers and physical might at the disposal of the Ministry of Protection when called upon to do so.

Mother Knight/ Regina Knight [mystic]- Regina is Earth's sorceress supreme and while the majority of her time is spent countering supernatural threats, she has often assisted the Ministry of Protection in their adventures.

Bestiary/ Daniel T'Kona [shapeshifter]- Daniel T'Kona is a scholar of mythology and cryptozoology from Kenya and is one of the founding members of the Ministry of Protection. While he was born with his powers, which he assumes are a family trait (though as an orphan he can't be certain), he plays them up as being mystical in origin to give him an edge over superstitious criminals and terrorists.

Knight Hawk/ Alan Turney [battlesuit]- Alan Turney got into the hero game by accident. A weapons designer in the the employ Typhon-Galt Corp. He found himself trapped with a group of his fellow engineers and a contingent of the Ministry of Protection's heroes in the machinations of an extra-dimensional destroyer. His knowledge of weapons tech was instrumental in defeating the villain and the adventure whetted his appetite for more. Designing an armored battlesuit that allowed him to form melee weapon from dark matter he joined the Ministry.

Castellan/ Brian Kwon [weapon-master]- After the death of the original Castellan, his friend Brian Kwon, a star of Hong Kong action/wire-fu movies decided to honor the fallen hero by taking up the mantle. While the original Castellan was a paragon empowered by the spirits of Arthurian Knights, Brian relies on his physical prowess and trick weaponry to get the job done.

Canis Major/ Charles Gordon Pine [warrior]- Astronaut Chuck Pine was on the international space station when it was caught in the debris field from an exploding asteroid. While he was attempting repairs on the station a glowing, golden stone permeated his pressure suit and fused itself to his chest. The stone imbued him with enhanced physical abilities, super senses and the power to surround his his hands with claws of pure force. Once on Earth he took up the mantle of Canis Major and designed a costume which purposely played into the "magic primitive" trope so common in fiction. Based on his appearance people tend to under estimate his intellect, forgetting that he's a trained Astronaut and pilot.

Brass Dragoon/ Bronislaw Jakovic [powerhouse]- Bronislaw jakovic is the great grandson of WW2 her "Tank Treadwell" and is gifted with similar powers. He has the ability to transform into a super-strong, nigh indestructible being of living metal. Somewhere along the way, Bron gained a further mutation which allows him to launch himself like a missile toward a destination. His body is immobile during flight, which gave him the inspiration for his name (Dragoons are soldiers who rode horses to the battlefield, but fought as foot soldiers).

Phenomenal Girl/ Amanaki Saechao [paragon]- Phenomenal Girl is a hero from American Samoa who possesses powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal beings. At will she can use "Phenomenal Power" (strength and toughness), "Phenomenal Speed" (super-speed and flight) or "Phenomenal Perception" (a wide array of super-senses). Not all her powers are available at any one time and she must consciously switch between her trio of power suites.

Siege/ Garret Kreel [force controller]- Garret Kreel was one of the few surviving subjects of an experiment in using a mutagenic virus to grant normal humans super-powers. Garret survived the experiment, developing the ability to unleash energy blasts of pure quantum energy. He can also surround himself with an energy field to deflect damage. He has learned over time to use his energy projection as thrust to fly, but when in flight the only way he can use the power offensively is to maneuver so his targets are caught in the line of his thrust.

Hand of Glory/ Audra Li [wields alien artifact]- Audra Li was an Astronaut on the same flight as Chuck Pine, but she was snatched by the alien directing his "Battle Asteroid" toward Earth. Caught and being tortured for information she didn't have, the warlord cut off her right arm during the fruitless interrogation. The Battle Asteroid" was destroyed when the Ministry of Protection launched an assault on it. Audra used the confusion to slip her bonds and attempt an escape. In the process, she grabbed the alien's weapon, which he called his "Glory". The sentient artifact bonded to Audra and morphed to attach at the shoulder to replace her missing arm. The "Hand of Glory" from which Audra takes her alias grants her a dizzying array of powers including flight, energy blasts, energy construct creation, life support, access to a vast library of knowledge, etc.

Mol Man/ Ken Dahl (unpronounceable) [mimic]- The alien entity known as Mol Man is not naturally humanoid. It is the last survivor of an alien protozoan race with the ability to adapt to nearly any hazard. Using it's morphic powers, it created a humanoid form to better interact with the dominant species of its adopted world. With the aid of other members of the Ministry, it has entered human society and runs a "Crime Scene Clean-up" business. Mol Man can mimic the abilities of those nearby as well as engage in rudimentary shapeshifting to disguise itself among humans. It cannot mimic powers of mystical origin...a weakness it finds frustrating.
Last edited by Horsenhero on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

I am interested in the stones that power Canis Major and Tidal Wave. Are there more? Were they related to eachother? Part of a larger group of stones?
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Hero4hire wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:10 am I am interested in the stones that power Canis Major and Tidal Wave. Are there more? Were they related to eachother? Part of a larger group of stones?
Well, if you look at the pics, the stones fuse themselves to the sternum of the host (mechanically they don't count as devices, just power sources). There ARE more and given the similarities between the method of empowerment the assumption is, they're related somehow. They each encountered their stone in a different environment (Jorge got his under water, Chuck got his on a moon mission) but where they are encountered doesn't necessarily correspond to the powers bestowed. That will become obvious once I finish the last few mentor briefs, but I'm taking a short break to rest my fingers and eat.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

You don't lean too heavily into energy controllers, do ya Horsenhero? Just the one light controller and a weather controller.

Queen of hearts is neat though. I like how her weapon is fueled by emotional strength. I have an idea I could run with her as a mantor, taking the concept in a little different direction perhaps.