M&M 3e, Young Protectors OOC (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: M&M 3e, Young Protectors (Recruiting)

Post by EpicEclipse »

Hero4hire wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:22 pm Technically it isn't terribly cost efficient? Losing 8pp in Defenses for a savings of 4pp. But I think it fits the concept. So I went with it.
Cost efficient perhaps not, but it's a cleaner mechanic for shoring up toughness.
Syncretik

Post by Syncretik »

WARLOCK (Ronan Greenwood)

PL 7 (120)
STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 1, FIGHTING 3, DEXTERITY 1, INTELLIGENCE 4, AWARENESS 7, PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+3)
Athletics 0 (+3)
Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+9)
Deception 0 (+2/+4)
Expertise: Magic 7 (+11)
Insight 1 (+8)
Intimidation 0 (+2/+7)
Investigation 1 (+5)
Perception 1 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+5/+10/+12)
Ranged Combat: Sorcery 4 (+5)
Stealth 0 (+1)
Treatment 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Attractive 1, Cool (Persuasion; Intimidate), Power Attack, Ritualist, Untapped Potential

Powers:
Sorcery:
  • Eldritch Blast: Blast 9 linked to Move Object 3 (Limited Direction: Only Away), - 26pts
  • Mind Reading: Mind Reading 7 (Cumulative; Insidious; Subtle 1; Feedback), - 1pt
  • Create Object: Create 6 (Increased Duration: Continuous; Innate; Stationary; Subtle), - 1pt
  • Telekinesis: Move Object 6 (Increased Range: Perception; Increased Mass 1 [3 tons]; Precise; Subtle 1), - 1pt
  • Blink: Teleport 4 (500ft. in a move action; Accurate; Change Direction and Velocity; Turnabout; Precise; Subtle 1), - 1pt
  • Longstride: Teleport 10 (1000 miles in 2 move actions; Extended; Limited to Extended; Increased Mass 1 [100lbs]), - 1pt
Telepathy: Mental Communication 1 (100ft.), - 4pts

Magical Attunement: Radial Magical Awareness, - 2pts

Offence:
Eldritch Blast: Blast 9 and Move Object 3, +5 (DC 24/DC 13)
Telekinesis: Move Object 6, +5 (DC 16)
Create Object: Create 6, +5 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 18)

Initiative +1

Defence:
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fort 5, Tou 4, Will 9

Complications:
Conduit: Ronan is a conduit for magic, and the potential opening this creates occasionally attracts beings of ill-intent. It is possible for him to draw more deeply on the conduit then is perhaps prudent, at the cost of a variety of negative effects; most commonly just strain on his body - anywhere from fatigue to a coma, depending on the amount of power drawn, but higher amounts of power also increase his magical 'presence', increasing the odds of attracting some "thing".

Curiosity Significantly Inconvenienced the Adept: Although normally fairly cool and collected, Ronan responds to new magical discoveries with an almost child-like (more child-like?) glee, and is quick to start poking around in things, despite the potential danger.

Relationship: Whilst he would have trouble putting a name to the relationship he has with Mother Knight, she's acted as a parent-figure to Ronan for the past 4 years, and he values her as such.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 13 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 32 / Defences: 19 (120)

--------------------------

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 143lbs
Hair: Chestnut brown; brief ponytail
Eyes: Green
Skin: Caucasian; slight tan

Background:

For the first 11 years of it, Ronan lived a fairly happy and normal life; he was popular and high-achieving in school, he loved his parents, and they him, etc. Then one day the three of them were out shopping when a fight broke out between some Ministry members and a group of aliens; clawed, spined, and black-skinned, from young(er) Ronan's perspective they were clearly bad guys just asking for a drubbing, and he was eager to watch it happen. His parents, being rather older and wiser were keen to get away, but Ronan, oblivious to the danger didn't want to move. Just as they were about to physically carry him away, one of the aliens separated from the fight and moved towards them; as he went to attack, Ronan instinctively closed his eyes and threw up his hands. After about a minute, when he determined that he was not, in fact, dead, Ronan opened his eyes and saw two things: one the alien was buried in a nearby wall, and two, Mother Knight was standing in front of him. He also didn't see a third thing: his parents. Mother Knight adopted him as her ward that day, and by mutual unspoken consent they have not spoken a single word about it since.

Having seen first hand his magical potential, Mother Knight shortly began training him in the mystical arts (or rather, helping him to control/refine what was already there), but Ronan often got the impression that she was studying him as much as teaching him. Before to long, Ronan discovered that mages are typically taught, not born, and even amongst those would-be students only some have real magical potential; natural magic-wielders like himself are exceedingly rare, so much so, in fact, that Mother Knight herself had never met one, only read about them. Given this improbability, Ronan assumed that this was the reason for her almost invasive curiosity. He was, of course, only partially correct.

Four years later, Mother Knight's suspicions were finally confirmed: a powerful extra-dimensional creature attempted to use Ronan to gain entry to this plane. So strong was this being that it overwhelmed even Mother Knight, and it was only by the fortuitous intervention of some of the other Ministry members that she was saved. For his part Ronan remembers none of this, and remains blissfully unaware of the event. A few months later, however, at the start of the next term, he was sent of to New Chapel. Whilst Mother Knight managed to conjure up a sufficiently convincing excuse for this, Ronan knows there is something important that she is not telling him. Combined with the fact that he has an odd feeling that Mother Knight is somehow afraid of him, things have grown a little tense between the two of them.

Some clarifications:
  • Ronan dispatched the bad-guy that attacked him, not MK - the first manifestation of his powers.
  • There is a question regarding what caused his parents death: the [bad guy] or Ronan's power surge. MK knows, but she's not telling. Ronan, naturally, chooses to believe it was the alien.
  • The aliens were a raiding party from a warrior-culture species, come to test their mettle against the warriors of another planet. When he asked about the fate of the aliens, MK heavily implied that they had been "dealt with" (i.e. killed). This may or may not actually be true, but MK hoped it would give him some measure of closure, as well as hopefully preventing him from trying to chase after them.
  • One of my assumptions is that the vast majority of mages are taught, not born.
  • Whilst MK, as the Sorcerer Supreme equivalent, faces down all sorts of powerful beings, but the one from the "event" attacked her in her own home/stronghold - which she thought secure - and in the body of her ward. Hence the fear.
Last edited by Syncretik on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Okay folks, I've missed a couple PM's and posts and I'll get to answering them as soon as I can. My day has been mostly been eaten up with helping with a few charitable donations/preparations regarding flooding relief for the Texas Coast.

I may lose some chunks of days coming up due to the same sort of activity, but I'll make sure I get to everyone as soon as I can.

Going to answer PM's now, then I'll go back through and see if I missed any questions on this thread.

***PS: Except where a specific power or background has been brought to my attention, I haven't really started poring over characters in detail yet, so if I haven't commented on your build...that why.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Some interesting submissions all said. I can see Emily getting on well with Geoff in a friendly rival sort of way, both being fairly athletic. Same with Jackson, except for Jackson being significantly higher in that regard, it would be less competition and more like a benchmark she wants to surpass, competing with her effort versus Jackson's genetics.

I'm curious how some of the more overtly powered individuals will get on it a school. N'Sekt and StarGuard proposed tiger guy for example. They seem interesting, just wondering how they would fit in to a normal school.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:58 pm Some interesting submissions all said. I can see Emily getting on well with Geoff in a friendly rival sort of way, both being fairly athletic. Same with Jackson, except for Jackson being significantly higher in that regard, it would be less competition and more like a benchmark she wants to surpass, competing with her effort versus Jackson's genetics.

I'm curious how some of the more overtly powered individuals will get on it a school. N'Sekt and StarGuard proposed tiger guy for example. They seem interesting, just wondering how they would fit in to a normal school.
I don't know about the getting along at public school thing, though that could prove difficult for some. My biggest moment of humor has been because at least 3 builds are sporting "Untapped Potential", making this read more like a Chris Claremont story where every blinking character is "potentially the most powerful" character ever. Given the bonus Untapped Potential gives for the price I might have to re-think that particular advantage.

Also. since I don't have the supplements for 3e, I may have to ask about a few of the Advantages that don't appear in the core rules. Also, if an Advantage doesn't appear in 3e, ask before you apply it. Advantage effects often change from 2e to 3e, so don't port any 2e only Advantages over without checking first.
Horsenhero

Re: M&M 3e, Young Protectors (Open recruiting ends 8/30))

Post by Horsenhero »

At first blush, all the characters look acceptable (though that is a *heck* of an array on Yeoman).

Keep in mind I haven't dug real deeply into them as far as math or precise abilities yet. I may ask for changes and I'm becoming increasingly leery of the "Untapped Potential" Advantage (but no decisions on that yet).

For those characters who have powers that are obvious physical changes remember to have some explanation of how you can manage both the powers and getting along at a public school without being "outed" as a hero from moment one.

Come Wednesday, when open recruiting closes I'll really start digging into the nitty gritty of the builds.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

And the plethora of Move Objects and Create powers is phenomenal too.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:45 am And the plethora of Move Objects and Create powers is phenomenal too.
And with as large as my array is...I have neither. ;)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:45 am And the plethora of Move Objects and Create powers is phenomenal too.
Well... 3 out of 7 builds, and none of the uses are really out of place given the descriptors and abilities of the characters that have them. I could narrow mine down a bit to be less broad in possible uses, since Blitz's create is more meant specifically to throw up barricades, not to trap people or make things to throw at or drop on people. Just defensive structures. Her move object is a bit more utility, utilizing the same functionality of her gauntlet that lets her fly to make other things "fly" just under her control.

Vulcan's are energy and matter manipulation and Warlocks are magic. Ultimately, the three do sort of poke the same energy manipulator role somewhat, Blitz is just a bit more blaster-y while the other two are more toolbox types.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

After some consideration (and watching the other submissions start to pile up), I'm going to go with a flight-based speedster who will probably develop into a fast-moving paragon. Charger is a slight re-skin of a high school heroine I started playing on that other board before my gaming exile took hold. I'll try to get her posted tomorrow.

AJ is a military brat, the daughter of an Air Force test pilot, and she is a very fast and agile flyer. While she is primarily 'apprenticed' to Thunderchief, she does a bit of advanced flight training with Skylight.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Am I the only one that is really disappointed Mr October isn't Reggie Jackson?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I think the epidemic with Untapped Potential just due to it being in a book dedicated to teenaged heroes. Granted that doesn't mean EVERY teen hero needs it. It makes sense for some archetypes and powerless than others. I think I'll nix it from Blitz and maybe see if I can find a different way to give that "has more power than she knows" sort of thing. I'll pm you some thoughts on it Horse hero.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

I've updated Vulcan with complications, and after a PM with Horsenhero I've added a couple of complications that directly address their concerns in regards to his Transform. Firstly, should he be under emotional distress he must succeed at a DC 20 Will Check or he suffers either a -2 or a -5 to any applications of his Limitless Possibility array. Secondly, should he attempt to Transmute a complex device, he must make a DC 25 Will Check or be Vulnerable, Defenseless given the concentration he must maintain.

I've also added some fellow submissions into his relationships, he's a guy who needs to keep his powers under control, however, I wanted to temper than with teenage rebellion, so I picked Johnny Diamond as a character who he could blow off steam with in typical youthful fashion. Secondly, I wanted to add some awkward highschool crush feel to it as well, so I added an unspoken affection for Emily. If either of these relationships are an issue for the players, I can easily change them.

I also dropped Untapped Potential, with Extra Ordinary Effort it makes it superfluous anyways, though at the cost of being Fatigued rather than exhausted. One question, in the Luck Power Profile, it says you could purchase Ranks of Luck that duplicate a single effect of a Hero Point, if allowable I'd love to switch my Luck 2 from Re-rolls to Recovery for more power stunts, which I feel is thematic for such a broad power descriptor.

Any comments or concerns would be greatly appreciated!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Woah ZP, I'd recommend wait to see who gets chosen before designating the crush and bff. Though thank you for the pick and confidence.
"Something pithy this way comes."
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

ImageImage
Rakshasa
aka Nameer
PL: 7 (120 pts) - OPL: 7; DPL: 7; HP: 1; LP: 2

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 5, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 9, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 1 (+6/10 balance checks), Athletics 1 (+6/10 climbing), Deception (+2), Expertise [Business] 3 (+5), Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 2 (+4/10 with roar), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat (+0), Stealth 1 (+6/10 forest and grasslands)

ADVANTAGES: All-out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (1) (Claws and Fang), Improved Grab, Improved Initiative (1), Languages (1) (English; Base Hindi), Luck Points (2), Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge, Ultimate Effort (Intimidation Checks)

POWERS:
Big Cat Roar: Enhanced Skills 3 (Intimidation 6 ranks, Flaw: Sense-dependent [Auditory]), Enhanced Advantages 1 (Ultimate Effort [Intimidation Checks], Flaw: Sense-dependent [Auditory]); 2 pts
Feline Senses: Senses 6 (Low-Light Vision, Scent [Acute], Normal Hearing [Accurate and Extended], Ultra-Hearing), Tracking; 6 pts
Feline Agility: Speed 2 (8 mph/120 fpr), Leaping 2 (30 ft), Enhanced Skills 2 (Athletics 4 ranks, Flaw: Limited to Climb Checks) Enhanced Acrobatics 2 (4 ranks, Flaw: Limited to Balance Checks), Enhanced Skills 2 (Stealth 4 ranks, Flaw: Limited to forest and grasslands); 7 pts
Feline Reflexes: Enhanced Advantages (Improved Initiative 1, Uncanny Dodge); 2 pts
Claws and Fang: Enhanced Advantage (Improved Critical 1) ; 1 pt
Iron Will: Enhanced Will 4 (Flaw: Limited to Mental Effects); 2 pts
Rakshasa Powers: 11 points Array; 14 pts
Telepathy: Mind Reading 7 (Flaw: Limited to Surface Thoughts), Communication (Mental, 100 feet), ; 11 pt
Shapeshifting: Morph 2 (male human figures, approximately same size);
1 pt
Invisibility: Concealment 5 (All visual senses and normal hearing, Extra: Precise)
; 1 pt
Ethereal Form: Insubstantial 2 (Gaseous; Extra: Subtle 1)
; 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9
Close Attack +9
Unarmed +9 DC 20 [Claw and Fang +9, DC 20, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +0

DEFENSES:
Dodge +9 [DC19.] Parry +9 [DC19]
Toughness +5, Fortitude +5 Will +5 (+9 against mental effects)

COMPLICATIONS:
Legacy: Rakshasa has acquired all the enemies of Tiger Woman in the short time they have operated together.
Family Feud: Nameer's uncles, human and Rakshasa, plot against his inheritances.
Isolation: The gateway to Nameer's homeland is only naturally open once every five years
Curiousity: killed the cat. Let's hope not in this case.

Abilities 64 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Advantages 7 + Powers 34 + Defenses 5 = 120 / 120

Build Comments: So ... started in Egypt and pushed into Mesopotamia before ending up in India. Alexander's travels doesn't a have thing on this build. Character is totally inspired by Tiger Woman and the awesome picture (I swear I first saw in a Thor build, but maybe not), the tiger abilities are definitely a mash of my own PL8 super-soldier and Thor's Lion build. Thanks Thor. There is ton of room for this character to grow in his skills, cat abilities, and Rakshasa powers so here is hoping he makes the cut.

Quick background to be filled in deeper (read as Complications) as I get to know more about Tiger Woman. Nameer, or Nam' to his friends, was rescued when a cub by Tiger Woman during the battle for her corporation with her uncle. He had hired an evil cult of Rakshasa as magical muscle. During the conflict Nam's family tried to intervene but were slain for their efforts leaving only Nam' to be raised by Priyanka aka Tiger Woman. Unable to return him to his hidden home, she has done her best to raise Nam with respect to his true heritage. He has now come of age for a young warrior and is slowly learning "mother's" business, legitimate and otherwise. Rowe has convinced her this new team is just the place for Nam' to make his way on the world. Today is the day of his first day in Ravensport.
Last edited by StarGuard on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 15 times in total.