Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Jab's Builds! (Gambit! Ma Gnucci! Golems! Graviton! Jack Kirby!)

Post by Goldar »

I always liked good old Graviton.

Must be that 50-foot height that we have in common!

And like Arnold Horsehack would say about your next character post-to-come, "Oh, oh, oh I know, I know Mr. Kotter, er Mr. Jab!" Is it Gwenny Lou Sabouki?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 pm I always liked good old Graviton.

Must be that 50-foot height that we have in common!

And like Arnold Horsehack would say about your next character post-to-come, "Oh, oh, oh I know, I know Mr. Kotter, er Mr. Jab!" Is it Gwenny Lou Sabouki?
Yup :).
Horsenhero

Re: Jack Kirby

Post by Horsenhero »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:52 pm Image
My favorite Jack Kirby story:

When he was writing Captain America a couple guys came into marvel's offices and accosted the receptionist, telling her to let that "jew lover" know they didn't like how he was writing Cap and he should change it if he knew what was good for him. The receptionist rang Jack's desk to tell him. Jack asked if they were still there and she responded that "yes, they were." He told her to tell them to wait right there, he was coming down to "talk" to them.

By the time he hit the lobby, they'd thought better of it and fled. Jack took no crap off anyone.

Politics:

When asked about his politics, Jack is credited as saying; "I don't think about politics much. If someone says they're a Nazi, you punch 'em. That's about all there is to it."

The Lawsuit:

Marvel lost every round of the lawsuit brought by Kirby's estate over the rights to his characters. Finally, on the verge of making it in front of the US Supreme Court who had indicated they would hear the case, Marvel settled to the tune of $6 million. Like DC with the case of Siegel & Schuster's heirs regarding Superman, staring at a Supreme Court hearing they could very well lose, they blinked. Kirby's grand daughter has since even done some promotional work for Marvel.

While it would have been a victory for creators' everywhere if the Kirby estate had pressed forward (rumor has it the court favored Kirby's heirs), I can understand why they took the money.
Jabroniville

Golden Girl (Sabuki)

Post by Jabroniville »

GOLDEN GIRL I (Gwenny Lou Sabuki, aka Golden Woman)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Frank Robbins
First Appearance: The Invaders #26 (March 1978)
Role: Retcon Character
Group Affiliations: The Kid Commandos, V-Battalion, Penance Council
PL 7 (82)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Force Beams) 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 1

Powers:
"Force Beams" Blast 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (17) -- [18]
  • AE: "Generate Light" Environment 5 (Light 2) (Feats: Dynamic) (11)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Force Beams +6 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications: 
Responsibility (The United States)- Gwenny Lou is a patriot, despite being the same race as an American enemy.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 9 (82)

-In a weird move, Roy Thomas decided to place a new Retcon Character into his Invaders book- a young Japanese-American girl who gains super-powers thanks to her scientist father. She and her friend (who gained spinning powers as The Human Top) team up with Bucky & Toro, forming The Kid Commandos against evil Axis Powers. 

-Gwenny Lou was later added into the history of the V-Battalion, a group of good guys based around Citizen V (which became important in the Thunderbolts series), and it's been revealed that she died in 1961. Her son became Golden Sun, and HIS daughter became Goldfire- I have no idea if any of them were characters in any comics. Golden Sun died when Goldfire was a little girl, and another of Gwenny Lou's grandchildren became the Japanese heroine Radiance, and is a part of the current Invaders series by James Robinson.

-When I originally posted this character, I explained her thusly:
This strikes me as a pretty lame attempt at Political Correctness, glossing over the racist anti-Japanese propaganda of 1940s comics with some happy U.S.-loyal Japanese superhero, something that would have been EXTRAORDINARILY unlikely in the era of Internment Camps. This was really a different era, and that stuff really wouldn't fly with America at the time.
Horsenhero responded thusly:
Actually, the 442 Regimental Combat Team and 100th Infantry Battalion were made up of Japanese-American volunteers who fought heroicly in the european theatre, seeing some of the most brutal action. Almost every soldier in these units was highly decorated and they included at least one man who would go on to serve in the US congress.

In fact, by the end of WW2 the 442 had become the most highly decorated US infantry command. They took over 800 casualties rescuing the "Lost Battalion" of the 36th Division in France.

As a rather proud American, I make it a point to remember these people who served their country well, even when their country treated them poorly.

So Golden Girl would be unusual, but not impossible.
And I really dug his explanation and rebuttal, as it taught me something I'd never known before. However, upon re-reading my initial post, I realized how my wording came across- as if there was no way a Japanese-American person could be a superhero during the War! What I MEANT was that it would be unlikely the public would support such a character. However, in either case, I could be wrong, judging by the above.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Grey Gargoyle

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

THE GREY GARGOYLE (Paul Pierre Duval)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey Into Mystery #107 (Aug. 1964)
Role: Unused '60s Villain
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, A.I.M., The Lethal Legion
PL 12 (222)
STRENGTH
1/10 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+9)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+13) -- Flaws: Limited to Chemistry
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 2 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack

Powers:
"Hand of Stone"

"Stone Body" (Alternate Form- Move Action) [-1]
Enhanced Strength 9 [18]
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 15) [23]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]

"Petrification Touch" Affliction 16 (Fort; Impaired & Hindered/Immobile & Defenseless/Transformed to Stone & Unaware) (Extras: Continuous +3, Extra Condition) (Quirks: Lasts One Hour, Then Instantly Ends -2) [78]
Transform 6 (3,200 lbs.) (Objects into Stone) (Extras: Continuous) [30]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Hand of Stone +8 (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+11 Stone Body, +8 Impervious), Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Power Loss (Stone Body)- Grey Gargoyle will lose his body alteration power after one hour. He must also first tough his own body to enact the change. Touching magical items (such as the Black Knight's Ebony Blade) has also reverted him to human form in the past. Similarly, his Transformation power ends after one hour.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 148 / Defenses: 13 (222)

-Grey Gargoyle's a classic '60s villain who never really went anywhere, being a goofy gimmick on your everyday mad scientist, with classic Kirby & Lee tendencies like alliterative names, booties, and undies. He's just recognizable enough to be visible in group shots of villains, but otherwise, he pretty much never gets much focus. He debuted as an Evil Scientist who gained powers in a chemical accident, and decided that he needed to steal Mjolnir to become immortal. He fought Thor fairly often in the early days (his Stone Touch could actually affect the Thunder God), but soon shifted to fighting lesser-powered guys like Iron Man and Cap, becoming a Journeyman Villain (LOT of those in Marvel) who frequently tries to steal other scientific devices for stuff. He'd get sent into space twice, but joined the Masters of Evil during the Under Siege arc, and is defeated when The Black Knight's Ebony Blade reverts him back to human form when he touches it.

-After this, it's just '90s stuff, and by that point the Gargoyle was very passe. He's embarassed by The Hulk (who resists the Stone Touch and breaks Duvall's arm), temporarily gives Ben Grimm the ability to become human at-will after freezing him, and then vanishes for almost the entriety of the decade. He'd show up in minor roles on The Raft and during Civil War, doing little. He joins The Lethal Legion to oppose Norman Osborn, but not much comes of it. Oddly, he was chosen to become one of the weapon-wielders during Fear Itself, but I have no recollection of that, having only read bits with Cain Marko, Absorbing Man, Titania and others. He manages to turn the entire population of Paris to stone (!), then fights off Iron Man and a bunch of his supporting cast- he is depowered at the end of the Event (which most people didn't like).

-Grey Gargoyle's a very dangerous villain, since his power is very "all or nothing"- people he touches tend to turn to stone, and that's that. It's a powerful Affliction effect (90% of the time, it will work perfectly- this is hard to reflect in M&M terms without using a VERY high effect, since anyone with half-decent Fortitude can resist the worst effect with even an average roll of 10), going along the Transformed, Hindered & Defenseless lines, while also being Continuous AND Progressive (since it appears to redouble on people). He can also Transform everyday objects. He reverts to human form if he grasps and tries to transform a magical object like Black Knight's sword, but otherwise has few weaknesses, being a quite tough villain in combat- the guy used to slug it out with THOR. He's a solid PL 12 villain, very dangerous to PCs, especially since he's not entirely inaccurate. Easier to hit, however, being only PL 10 defensively.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

OMG, a list of Easter Eggs for the DuckTales movie: http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2017/08 ... -premiere/

The Jigen/Castle of Cagliostro one is AMAZING. A lot of people are seeing A Goofy Movie's Roxanne in the Dog-Girl in one scene, but I don't think that's accurate- it's just a standard-issue Dognose.

And yeah, it's weird that Flintheart Glomgold is Scottish in the show.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

as I understand it, according to the showrunners, Glomgold is still Afrikaaner, its just he makes himself look "More Scottish Than Scrooge" as part of his self-promoting marketing, reconciling how they made him Scottish in the 80's series
Jabroniville

Gargantua

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

A MALE Giant?? GTFO.

GARGANTUA (Edward Cobert, aka "Leviathan")
Created By:
Alan Kupperberg & J.M. DeMatteis
First Appearance: The Defenders #126 (Dec. 1983)
Role: Growing Guy
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, S.H.I.E.L.D.
PL 9 (61)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+0)
Intimidation 10 (+8, +12 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Permanent Size" Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (24 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
Speed 1 (8 mph) [1]
Impervious Toughness 3 [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +11 (+2 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +0

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Responsibility (Altered Form)- Gargantua is permanently stuck around 25-30 feet in size. This prevents him from living a normal life, and renders him mentally inferior to a normal adult. In his original form, he was a scientist and S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent, with the following stats: Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 1, Fighting 6, Dexterity 0, Intelligence 3, Awareness 0, Presence 1.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 15 (61)

-Gargantua (formerly the much-cooler-named Leviathan- not sure why they changed that- there aren't any recurring Marvel Characters with the prior name, just one-shotters) was a scientist who, of course, experimented upon himself, and turned himself into a mentally-retarded giant man who stomped around and did damage. He was silly as hell, and pretty much ended up one of those Journeyman Villains (a LOT of that with the Masters, really) who fought John Walker back when he was Captain America, and Wasp & Wonder Man one time. He hooked up with Doc Ock's Masters in that one-shot story, and has been generally never appeared since then, except in background shots.

-Gargantua is a PL 8 defensively, PL 8.5 offensive fellow, not being enough to beat most heroes, but enough to fend off Wonder Man or U.S. Agent for a couple rounds, until they get the better of him. He's got a lot of Powerhouse-themed stuff on him, but he's weaker than most Team Bricks are. And yeah, his low intelligence (below human average, apparently) REALLY brings down his cost- he's one of the cheapest authentic super-villains I've ever built.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Glorious conGlomeration of great G-rated good guys and ghouls gathered over the past few days.

Sorry... ran out of G's.

Work is great.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Galactic Guardians

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GALACTIC GUARDIANS:
-The Galactic Guardians are a team from the Guardians of the Galaxy book, and are futuristic superheroes as well. They were formed by Martinex, who thought that the Guardians should become even larger as an organization. He recruited:

Mainframe: The Vision of the future.
The Spirit of Vengeance: The Ghost Rider of the future.
Firelord: The former Herald of Galactus and current Protector of the Universe.
Replica: A Skrull shape-shifter who... ugh, another one?... shakes off the evil of her race and becomes a good guy. Formerly a member of the Universal Church of Truth.
Hollywood: The Wonder Man of the future, guilt-ridden over seeing many of his teammates die during the Martian invasion of Earth in the 20th century. Yes, the Avenger perhaps most famous for repeatedly DYING lived to see the Year 3000.
Phoenix IX: The latest host of the Phoenix Force.
Goldar

Re: Galactic Guardians

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:16 pm THE GALACTIC GUARDIANS:
-The Galactic Guardians are a team from the Guardians of the Galaxy book, and are futuristic superheroes as well. They were formed by Martinex, who thought that the Guardians should become even larger as an organization. He recruited:

Replica: A Skrull shape-shifter who... ugh, another one?... shakes off the evil of her race and becomes a good guy. Formerly a member of the Universal Church of Truth.
Hollywood: The Wonder Man of the future, guilt-ridden over seeing many of his teammates die during the Martian invasion of Earth in the 20th century. Yes, the Avenger perhaps most famous for repeatedly DYING lived to see the Year 3000.
Ooh, can't wait to see all these guys statted up!
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

I also can't help that I love the idea of another heroic Skrull.
Just call me Doug.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

One thing that always got me was that the Gray Gargoyle should be still an amazing foe.

Even without his alchemical stone touch, he's made of living stone.

Colossus is "living steel" and he's hell on wheels, especially with his combat training and agility. The only opponent who ever caused serious injury to Colossus in hand-to-hand was the World-Breaker Hulk.

The Gargoyle was equally as quick and agile, while made of living stone. If anything, his parry and his toughness should be on par with someone who went knuckle-to-knuckle with the God of Thunder. Yes, Thor easily breaks granite and such, but the Gargoyle, if I were writing him, would be tough for Goldilocks. He'd make use of defensive roll instead of just gutting it out. I dunno. I also would love to see him against the Thing. I would love to see Ben show some of that maneuverability that Gargoyle has.

He also used to climb buildings - not quite like Spider-Man, he'd wreck any facade because his climbing was punching finger and toe holds in stone or steel.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Gwenpool

Post by Jabroniville »

GWENPOOL (Gwendolyn Poole)
Created By:
Chris Bachalo
First Appearance: Deadpool's Secret Wars #1 (Nov. 2015)
Role: Odd Rip-Off Character
Group Affiliations: Mercenary Organization Dedicated Only To Killing
PL 9 (137)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 7
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Acrobatics 9 (+14)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Mercenary) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 7 (+12)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (Reads Marvel Comics; Knows Everyone's Information), Equipment 4 (Arsenal- Guns, Knives, Swords, etc.), Improved Critical 2 (Guns, Swords), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Survives Surely-Fatal Falls" Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]
"Heals Quickly" Regeneration 4 [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Swords +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Guns +11 (+4-6 Ranged Damage, DC 19-21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications: 
Responsibility (Not Of This Reality)

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 15 (137)

-Possibly the weirdest case of character spinoffs I've ever seen (knocking off both the concept of "Spider-Gwen" and Deadpool), Gwenpool is at least deliberately tongue-in-cheek- a bit of a piss-take on how these kinds of characters work. See, not only was Deadpool a hugely-popular character at this point, but Gwen Stacy-as-Spider-Woman had become a big deal as well, owing to a great costume design and Marvel attempting to "Batgirl" much of their line. Marvel released a series of alternate covers featuring Gwen as all of their other characters, but Chris Bachalo's "Gwenpool" proved especially popular. The character popped up in cosplay and fanart like nuts (apparently) until Marvel took notice and hired Christopher Hastings to based stories around the character, capitalizing on this success.

-Hastings decided that Gwenpool could break the fourth wall like Deadpool does, but only because she's from a world where the comic books exist (the means by which she traveled here are unknown), so she adopts a cavalier attitude because "there are no consequences". Hastings describes it like she's basically playing Grand Theft Auto. And the character proved popular enough to get her own ONGOING the following year, because comic are weird. Her Wikipedia article is basically "The Entirety Of Her Existence" written in longform, so I'll just sum up that she's killed a lot of random people and is generally pretty goofy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Galactic Guardians

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:16 pm THE GALACTIC GUARDIANS:

Ooh, can't wait to see all these guys statted up!
oh! I, uhh... wasn't planning on that :). I mean, I've statted SoV recently, and I'm not sure if most of them are actually different from their past selves. Has anyone actually read stories featuring these guys?