Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Captain Ochre

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

CAPTAIN OCHRE (Richard Fraser)
Created By:
Gerry Anderson
Role: Filler
Group Affiliations: Spectrum
PL 7 (91)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Spectrum Agent) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Police Officer) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Military) 6 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+3)
Investigation 6 (+10)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Guns) 2 (+8)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 6 (+12)

Advantages:
Benefit (Spectrum Agent), Equipment 6 (Spectrum Pursuit Vehicles, Firearms +5), Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Gun +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (The Mysterons)
Responsibility (Spectrum)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (91)

-Captain Ochre is an ex-Military & Police Investigator with extra Piloting skills, but less "book-smarts" than the other smart guys at Spectrum, having been a poor student. Not wanting to take lower ranks in the army after getting poor grades, he switched to the World Government Police Corps- his ingenuity and imagination were key aspects in his success, and he took down a powerful crime syndicate. Rejecting a promotion to a desk-job, he agreed to join Spectrum, who set up a fake "assassination" and made him one of their agents, often in charge of bodyguarding important people. Of course, he shows up only periodically in the show, so this is all background stuff- he's apparently quite popular with whatever FanFic writers work on Captain Scarlet stuff. The CGI update turned him into a sexy Irish lass.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Cloud 9! Hardball! Constrictor! Bengal! Taskmaster!)

Post by Jabroniville »

So I figured this time around, instead of just Template-ing the other Captains, I would create separate builds for them. Though they're pretty much still the old Templates.

Looking at Captain Scarlet builds over the years, I see that my original build was actually from TEN YEARS AGO:
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 7d#p426368

That was actually page TWENTY of my original thread, for the purposes of measuring the time out. The only comment I got on it at first was from Libra, famous for commenting on EVERY THREAD EVER during his time on the boards. He was from England and was apparently a fan: "Bless you for statting the good Captain. I watched the series regularly in my younger days and remain fond of it. :D". Servitor (a poster whom only now do I realize was a CONSTANT presence in my thread back in the day; I actually feel bad that I have no idea where he went, or how big a presence he was on my thread until it was too late to acknowledge it).

You can tell it's an old build because the "PL 10 (150)" Capt. Scarlet is actually only PL 9 :). I used to do that ALL THE TIME back in the day- using the points value but not realizing you had to make them potent enough to earn the level.

The first 3rd Edition build of Capt. Scarlet is from 2012, five years later (and five years ago, now): http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1017909

Naturally, Kreuzritter popped in right away with a correction :). He was actually the only one to comment, though. I think this might thus be my most-popular rendition of the characters ever :). This time around, I actually built the entirety of Spectrum- not just the main character- my old 2e thread was really bad for just statting random faces here and there, then moving on to something else.
Jabroniville

Captain Brown

Post by Jabroniville »

CAPTAIN BROWN (Real Name Unknown- Possibly Alan Stevens)
Created By:
Gerry Anderson
PL 7 (81)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+3)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit (Spectrum Agent), Equipment 6 (Spectrum Pursuit Vehicles, Firearms +5), Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Initiative +4

Defenses:

Complications:
Enemy (The Mysterons)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (81)

-Captain Brown was a mere one-shot guy, killed and replaced by The Mysterons, and sent as a living Suicide Bomber against the President of Earth. The scene where the puppet explodes on-camera is a pretty notable, memorable one, but the character obviously never shows up again. Nothing really exists for his backstory beyond what FanFic writers can come up with.
Jabroniville

Captain Grey

Post by Jabroniville »

CAPTAIN GREY (Bradley Holden)
Created By:
Gerry Anderson
PL 7 (82)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Athletics 3 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Swimming)
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Naval Officer) 6 (+9)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+2)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:

Offense:
Initiative +4

Defenses:

Complications:
Enemy (The Mysterons)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (82)

-A loner who is older than the other Agents, Captain Grey was visually based off of Sean Connery, and did a lot of naval work. He was the original captain of the Stingray vessel, which was later given to Troy Tempest in the Marianimation show Stingray. He loses some points for being a loner who tends not to work with others, and for the fact that he almost never appears- he's easily the least-used of the recurring Captains of Spectrum.
HalloweenJack

Re: S.I.G.

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:46 pm "The Mysterons. Sworn enemies of Earth. Possessing the ability to recreate an exact likeness of an object or person. But first, they must destroy...
Leading the fight, one man fate has made indestructible. His name:"

CAPTAIN SCARLET AND THE MYSTERONS:
-Captain Scarlet was a great little show, filmed in the "Super-Marionation" style of Gerry Anderson, filmed with semi-lifelike puppets. This was the darkest of all his shows (the most famous of which was Thunderbirds, which I've actually never seen, beyond a single episode), featuring a gang of invisible Martian villains who murdered innocent people, duplicated their bodies, and used them to commit acts of murder, terror and destruction upon the human race (all because some humans accidentally blew up one of their cities). They were opposed by Spectrum, a group of international heroes (usually going by "Captain ______" with the latter being a colour) defending the planet.

-Captain Scarlet was the nigh-indestructible hero, fighting The Mysterons and their allies, Captain Black (himself a former Spectrum agent) and an assortment of murdered-humans-turned-Mysteron Agents. His partner and best friend was Captain Blue, and their leader was the stern, grumpy Colonel White. Backing them up were an assortment of minor Captains, and The Angels- a band of female fighter pilots. The series was popular enough to get a short-lived CGI remake in the 2000s (with really, REALLY awful-looking CGI), but like most non-Thunderbirds Anderson shows, it's been kind of forgotten to history.

-My personal memories of this show are of watching it as a kid on YTV- I don't recall when they aired it (it seems a bit of an odd fit for The Zone's afternoon programming), but it was definitely on their station for some time. I only vaguely remember it from back then (I was REALLY young), but my dad mentioned seeing it when he was a kid, and I thought Captain Black was BAD-ASS. I remember a bit of the Angels, too. My better memories come from about 8 years ago, watching BBC stuff on TV, and finding Captain Scarlet all of a sudden popping up on their schedule. Watching it again was a kick, though I believe it was taken off the air fairly quickly.

-Some of my favourite moments are situations where regular people are mortified at the flippancy with which most Spectrum Agents react to news of Captain Scarlet's "death", knowing that he'll get better. Better still is when Colonel White, furious with Scarlet's refusal of a direct order (that ended up saving the day), sentenced him "to DEATH!" "DEATH, sir?" at which point White points out that since Scarlet can't be killed, he'll be forced to just let the matter slide. Funny stuff.

-The show actually has an AMAZING "Fan Page" assortment: http://www.spectrum-headquarters.com/ca ... arlet.html is probably the best one. It contains scads of information, gleaned from multiple sources, giving backstory to even minor characters. It's basically one of those Tolkine bio-books, but for Super-Puppets. I actually found this site for the first time the LAST time I did Captain Scarlet builds.

Sample episode: Manhunt (featuring an act of "compassion" from Captain Black that may've just been a cover for his escape): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usUI7TIUtp8

Used to watch that on the Sci-Fi Channel back in the day. Much preferred it over Stingray.
Jabroniville

Captain Magenta

Post by Jabroniville »

CAPTAIN MAGENTA (Patrick Donaghue)
Created By:
Gerry Anderson
PL 7 (89)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Spectrum Agent) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 7 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+3)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 3 (+7)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:

Offense:
Initiative +4

Defenses:

Complications:
Enemy (The Mysterons)
Reputation (Criminal)- Captain Magenta was a criminal for years before joining Spectrum.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (89)

-Magenta is different from the other Agents in that he's a lifelong criminal who went straight, recruited by Spectrum because they needed someone who knew the insides of criminal organizations. His backstory contains a lot of stuff about how he just became a crook to make money, but ended up forming New York's various gangs into a giant syndicate. He joined Spectrum on the promise that he'd receive a full pardon from the world courts.
Jabroniville

Dr. Fawn

Post by Jabroniville »

DOCTOR FAWN (Edward Wilkie)
Created By:
Gerry Anderson
PL 4 (68)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+8)
Insight 1 (+4)
Intimidation 1 (+3)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 1 (+3)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 6 (+10)
Treatment 8 (+12)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit (Spectrum Agent)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Gun +6 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (The Mysterons)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (68)

-Dr. Fawn is a non-combatant for the most part, having little in the way of fighting experience. He's a great biologist with technological expertise, setting up a hospital full of doctor and nurse robots. He appears infrequently in the show, Fan Fiction and the comics they made. The CGI series uses a much older guy named Doctor Gold.
Jabroniville

Lt. Green

Post by Jabroniville »

LIEUTENANT GREEN (Seymour Griffiths)
Created By:
Gerry Anderson
Role: Communications Guy, Naive Young Kid
PL 7 (85)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Spectrum Agent) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Music) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+3)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 6 (+10)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:

Offense:
Initiative +4

Defenses:

Complications:
Enemy (The Mysterons)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (86)

-Lieutenant Green is a major recurring character, showing up in every episode as the Communications Officer aboard Cloudbase, acting as an assistant to Colonel White. He's young and rather dutifully-serious, and not quite as naive or impetuous as characters like this tend to be- he's more Colonel White's Yes-Man and the guy who relays White's orders to the other members of Spectrum. He has African-esque features, as Gerry Anderson was big on a Star Trek-style future where all races worked together. This actually marks him as one of the very first black characters to have a major role on a TV series.
Jabroniville

The Angels

Post by Jabroniville »

THE ANGELS
Created By:
Gerry Anderson
Role: Female Fighter Pilots
PL 4 (73)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Expertise (Spectrum Agent) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+3)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 9 (+13)

Advantages: 
Benefit (Spectrum Agent), Equipment 8 (Fighter Plane), Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (The Mysterons)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (73)

-Gerry Anderson shows actually featured a fair bit of women in dangerous, action-based roles, and Captain Scarlet was no exception. Here, the Angels were a quintet of female fighter pilots, flying in a diverse squadron.

The Angels:
DESTINY ANGEL (Juliette Pontoin)- PL 4 (73):
-Destiny Angel breaks with the "musical naming" of the Angels, and is a wealthy Frenchwoman. She kind of randomly chose piloting as a back-up career, but ended up loving it, becoming an ace pilot. Charming and sophisticated, she is all-business when on the job. She might be the leader of the Angels, seemingly taking the forefront in many missions, and has been paired up with Captain Scarlet by many fans, though their relationship is pretty much 100% professional in the show. She is based visually off of Ursula Andress. The CGI series features her as Captain Black's former love, resulting in complications when she begins to fall for Captain Scarlet. Here, she takes a much more active role as Scarlet's partner.

SYMPHONY ANGEL (Karen Wainwright)- PL 4 (85): INT 4, AWA 3, Investigation 6 (+9), Hairdresser 2 (+6), Science 4 (+7), Technology 8 (+12) [12]
-Symphony was a genius student and an expert in industrial espionage before she fell in love with flying. The most generic-looking of the Angels (she was the only one not based on a real celebrity), she was paired up with Captain Blue romantically, though it was usually more implied than directly stated. Though brave and intelligent, she is impetuous to a fault. The CGI series uses a completely different character- an Asian woman, as Symphony, and drops the relationship with Captain Blue.

MELODY ANGEL (Magnolia Jones)- PL 4 (74): Languages 1 [1]
-Melody is among the very few black female characters in a recurring role in a TV show during the late 1960s... she was one of the first recurring black characters PERIOD, much less one who was a fighter pilot. She was the daughter of cotton farmers, and was truant during much of her scholastic career, but developed to be bright enough to build an airplane out of the wreckage of one she'd crashed, and fly it back to civilization. She was modeled after Eartha Kitt. The CGI series depicts her as a white lady.

RHAPSODY ANGEL (Dianne Simms)- PL 4 (78): AWA 4, Investigation 4 (+8) [5]
-A pretty redhead, Rhapsody went into law and sociology in school, but walked away from the empty life of a debutante and was trained by Thunderbirds's Lady Penelope of all people. She was based visually off of 1960s model Jean Shrimpton, but is one of the least-used Angels in the show, and appeared in even fewer episodes of the remake.

HARMONY ANGEL (Chan Kwan)- PL 4 (77): FIGHTING 6 [4]
-Harmony is of Chinese descent, but grew up in Japan, where she developed an early love for flying. Quiet and often "inscrutable", she is also a martial artist (a black belt in Judo), but doesn't feature in many episodes. That said, she's pretty remarkable for the era- a female ass-kicker who's Asian, in a 1960s TV show. She was based visually off of Tsai-Chin, a Chinese-English actress who actually appears in a lot of stuff, even in modern times (she's known for You Only Live Twice's opening and playing Fu Manchu's daughter when he was played by Christopher Lee, and was even in Grey's Anatomy). The remake CGI series depicts her as a charismatic Southerner.

KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Constrictor! Taskmaster! GoodFellas! Captain Scarlet!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

There was also a Captain Indigo, who was so minor that in the original series that he only appeared in one episode, got killed and replaced, and never appeared wearing the Spectrum uniform.
Jabroniville

Col. White

Post by Jabroniville »

COLONEL WHITE (Charles Gray)
Created By:
Gerry Anderson
Role: The Boss
PL 7 (91)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 3 (+9)
Expertise (Spectrum Agent) 8 (+13)
Expertise (Science) 1 (+6)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 6 (+10)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+3)
Technology 1 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages: 
Benefit 3 (Head of Spectrum), Equipment 6 (Spectrum Pursuit Vehicles, Firearms +5), Leadership, Ranged Attack 2, Teamwork

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (The Mysterons)
Responsibility (Spectrum)- Colonel White leads Spectrum as Commander-In-Chief, and is much more "by the book" than most of his charges.
Temper- Colonel White can become agitated in his high-stress job, and he's not above yelling at someone who screws up. He's generally more fatherly with his advice, however.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (91)

-Colonel White was the grouchy, stern leader of Spectrum, often doling out advice and orders. He was an ex-military guy chosen to lead the team on Cloudbase, and he was a pretty good character overall. He had a lot of the standard Leader Tropes- dishing out unwanted orders, getting disobeyed occasionally (he shouted "Idiots!" more than once at the Captains, and once sentenced the immortal hero Scarlet to death for disobeying him once), but ultimately he was usually right, and had good results. He's less-capable physically compared to his allies (he has a Desk Job, after all), but in his prime, he was the equal to any of them save Captain Scarlet himself. His backstory contains some interesting bits, like backing up the rebellion against a British Military Government decades before the series takes place, earning him worldwide respect.
Jabroniville

The Mysterons

Post by Jabroniville »

THE MYSTERONS:
-The Mysterons are a mysterious (duh), unseen force in the show- Gerry Anderson wished to make them invisible, because he didn't want people to be disappointed if REAL Martians were discovered and didn't look like the Martians in his show (God, that era of science...). The Mysterons were living happily on Mars until Captain Black panicked upon seeing one of their city's probes- he blew it up, and the Mysterons swore vengeance upon all humanity. Merciless, destructive beings, they declared a "War of Nerves" with the Earth- rather than acting in secrecy, they decided to openly state their goals and intentions, often leaving cryptic clues as to their next targets.

-The Mysterons may or may not have natural powers, or just high technology. Their "Retrometabolism" capabilities allow them to create anything imaginable, so long as it was destroyed first- this allows them to kill and replace human beings (Captains Black, Brown & Scarlet, most notably; many other innocent victims appear throughout the show), their entire city (when it's destroyed by Captain Black in the pilot), vehicles, and more.
Jabroniville

Captain Black

Post by Jabroniville »

"This is Captainnnnnn Blackkkk...."

CAPTAIN BLACK (Conrad Turner)
Created By:
Gerry Anderson
Role: Mirror Image Villain, Enemy Agent
PL 8 (109)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+6)
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (Spectrum Agent) 7 (+10)
Expertise (Mysteron Agent) 7 (+10)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 9 (+9)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Guns) 2 (+11)
Stealth 4 (+7)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+8)

Advantages: 
Benefit 2 (Mysteron Agent), Equipment 2 (Firearms +5), Ranged Attack 5, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Gun +11 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (The Will of The Mysterons)
Responsibility (Human Side?)- Captain Black is seemingly an automoton doing the Mysterons' will, but may be able to exert his natural personality at times.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 14 (109)

-Captain Black was an AWESOME villain- a creepy, nasty-looking individual, he was a Black-Costumed Version of the good Spectrum Agents, effectively an early Mirror Image Villain. In actuality, he WAS one of them, but an impulsive action on his part destroyed a Mysteron city, resulting in them setting off their "War of Nerves" with mankind (ironic, for a man who was apparently devoted to peace). He was generally just a Mysteron Stooge on Earth, doing their physical bidding when their temporary Retrometabolised slaves failed- he received regular advice from the Mysterons, though it was anyone's guess as to how much of their programming was a part of him. When he had Symphony Angel dead to rights, he chose to let her go with a non-lethal dose of radiation to cover his own escape- was he actually showing compassion, as he stated? Or just covering his own exit? Who knows?

-Captain Black is believed to have been meant for only a single episode, but his distinctive look and traits (sunken eyes, five-o'clock-shadow, the deep voice of the Mysterons) made the creators keep him around. And really, he was just plain cool- menacing, cold, calculating and named CAPTAIN BLACK, which is an awesome codename. Contrary to my memory, he only wore the dark version of the Spectrum uniform in his earliest appearance- the rest of the show features him in leather jackets and the like.

-Captain Black is basically like Captains Blue or Scarlet in overall talent, but lacks any real super-powers, beyond being a villain and thus being able to regularly cheat- The Mysterons are basically omniscient, seeing everything that goes on Earthside, and he gets a 2-point Benefit from that (it doesn't always come up). He lacks overall charisma (being a monotonous-voiced scary guy), but he's pretty intimidating.
Jabroniville

Casablanca

Post by Jabroniville »

CASABLANCA

Next up on my builds, something totally different- I've done TV-themed builds, but not alot of Movie-themed ones. So I figured I'd tackle one of the greatest movies of all time (and one of my personal favourites)- Casablanca! I mean, how do you top this? A story about refugees in French Morocco, fighting the Nazis, hiding, meeting again after a failed relationship, heartbreak, new friendships and patriotism- and it wasn't even supposed to be a big movie! Just a standard thrown-together Hollywood story, written by a big group of people; it should've been generic and forgotten. But everything about it kinda came together to make on of Hollywood's greatest stories.

The hardest thing about these builds is going to be deciding just WHICH quotes to use for each character. This movie is, far and away, the MOST quotable movie in the history of Hollywood. #2 ain't even close.
Jabroniville

Rick Blaine

Post by Jabroniville »

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in ALL THE WORLD, she walks into mine."

---

Rick: Last night we said a great many things. You said I was to do the thinking for both of us. Well, I've done a lot of it since then, and it all adds up to one thing: you're getting on that plane with Victor where you belong.
Ilsa: But, Richard, no, I... I...
Rick: Now, you've got to listen to me! You have any idea what you'd have to look forward to if you stayed here? Nine chances out of ten, we'd both wind up in a concentration camp. Isn't that true, Louie?
Captain Renault: I'm afraid Major Strasser would insist.
Ilsa: You're saying this only to make me go.
Rick: I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
Ilsa: But what about us?
Rick: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
Ilsa: When I said I would never leave you.
Rick: And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that.
[Ilsa lowers her head and begins to cry]
Rick: Now, now...
[Rick gently places his hand under her chin and raises it so their eyes meet]
Rick: Here's looking at you kid.

RICK BLAINE
Played By:
Humphrey Goddamned Bogart
Role: The Hero, The Cynical Club-Owner, The Broken-Hearted
Group Affiliations: Various Failed Rebellions & Movements, Rick's Cafe Americain
PL 4 (79)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Business) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Club Owner) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Gambling) 6 (+9)
Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Soldier) 2 (+4)
Insight 5 (+8)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 5 (+8)
Technology 1 (+3)
Vehicles 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Contacts, Equipment 4 (Rick's Cafe Americain, Pistol +4), Improved Aim, Luck, Ranged Attack 3, Well-Informed

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Pistol +4 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Rick's Cafe Americain)
Addiction (Alcohol)
Responsibility (Loves Ilsa Lund)- She left him with a broken heart, and her memory brings him only alcoholism and pain.
Obsession (True Neutral)- Rick sticks his neck out for nobody, and no longer has political lineage to any cause, having lost so many fights before.
Hatred ("As Time Goes By")- If he hears that song again, Rick will fly into a rage.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (79)

-Rick is Casablanca's main character, and WHAT a character. Burnt out, cynical, a lothario with no seeming moral standpoint- something was taken out of him years ago, and in the film we see the reason why- he was left by the woman he loved, for unknown reasons. Now, the former gun-runner and freedom-fighter is a saloon owner in "free" French Morocco, holding that his political leanings were a mistake, and now he refuses to take risks and "Stick his neck out" for anybody. Once the woman (Ilsa Lund) comes back into his life, sporting her husband, the European Resistance leader against the Nazis, he's left with some important decisions. He can leave Casablanca with her with the "Letters of Transit" he recieved from a patron if he wants (and she wants to), but can he let her leave her husband, who's so important to the world? And how long can he hold to absolute neutrality in a world where the Nazis increasingly stretch their fingers across the world? His answer to that provides one of the most epic, amazing speeches in the history of Hollywood. Not to be missed.

-Rick's a solid fighter, but strictly low-level. He's smart, charismatic and likeable as all hell (women love him, even Captain Renault, his rival/buddy, admits that if HE was a woman, and Renault himself was not around, then he'd totally go for Rick), and has a boatload of Complications. He has a gun and a sweet bar (Rick's Cafe Americain), and a ton of Skills to go along with a former military man, and it's hard to lie to him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.