Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Maj. Strasser

Post by Jabroniville »

Captain Renault: By the way, last night you evinced an interest in Señor Ugarte.
Victor Laszlo: Yes.
Captain Renault: I believe you have a message for him?
Victor Laszlo: Nothing important, but may I speak to him now?
Major Heinrich Strasser: You would find the conversation a trifle one-sided. Señor Ugarte is dead.
Ilsa: Oh.
Captain Renault: I am making out the report now. We haven't quite decided yet whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape.

---

Strasser: I strongly suspect that Ugarte left the letters of transit with Mr. Blaine. I would suggest you search the cafe immediately and thoroughly.
Renault: If Rick has the letters, he's much too smart to let you find them there.
Strasser: You give him credit for too much cleverness. My impression was that he's just another blundering American.
Renault: You mustn't underestimate American blundering. I was with them when they "blundered" into Berlin in 1918.

MAJOR HEINRICH STRASSER
Played By:
Conrad Veidt
Role: The Nazi, The Big Bad
Group Affiliations: Nazi Germany
PL 3 (48)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Insight 3 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Expertise (Current Events) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Nazi Officer) 7 (+8)
Perception 4 (+6)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages: 
Benefit 3 (Nazi Major), Contacts, Connections, Equipment 2 (Pistol +4), Minions 10 (German Officers), Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Pistol +2 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (The Third Reich)

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 32--15 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (48)

-Strasser's the "Main Villain" of the piece, but not really a major character- he's just a means to an end, the reason everyone's running around. He basically exists to bark orders, sternly look at Rick or Renault to figure out their intentions, and intimidate Victor Laszlo (realistically, they'd just SHOOT HIM, because there's no rational reason to have to jump through legal hoops in a dictatorship against a known rebel, but hey- that'd end the movie pretty damn fast). He's not overly great at fighting, and goes down dead to one bullet shot, but he's got back-up and connections.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Constrictor! Taskmaster! GoodFellas! Captain Scarlet!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

ooooh looking at these builds my memory banks are overdrawn!

It's like I'm caught.....in barb wire!
Jabroniville

Signor Ferrari

Post by Jabroniville »

"Might as well be frank, monsieur. It would take a miracle to get you out of Casablanca, and the Germans have outlawed miracles."

SIGNOR FERRARI
Played By:
Sydney Greenstreet
Role: The Black Market Dealer, The Information Guy
Group Affiliations: The Casablanca Underworld
PL 0 (48)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Current Events) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Streetwise) 8 (+10)
Insight 6 (+9)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+6)

Advantages: 
Benefit (Wealth), Connections, Contacts, Well-Informed

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +5

Complications:
Reputation (BS-er)- Ferrari is a liar and a con-man, and everyone in Casablanca knows it.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (48)

-Signor Ferrari's just a minor character, but with Sydney Greenstreet portraying him, he couldn't help but seem like a huge character. A corrupt, richer club owner in the city, Ferrari's a rival & confidante of Rick's with an ear in every room- totally aware of everything that's going on in Casablanca. He's not in any kind of shape, and is in no way a fighter, but he's good at his own thing, that's for sure. He ends the film as the new owner of Rick's Cafe Americain.
Jabroniville

The Care Bears

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CARE BEARS
Played By:
Various
Role: Mercenary Do-Gooders
Group Affiliations: The Care Bears, The Care Bear Cousins
PL 6 (96)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 4 (+4)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Care Bear) 7 (+8)
Insight 4 (+7)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 1 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Care Bear Stare) 3 (+6)
Technology 2 (+3)
Vehicles 3 (+5)

Advantages: 
Equipment 3 (Cloud Car- As Car with Flight 3), Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up 2, Teamwork

Powers:
"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

"Fast For a Shrimpy Thing" Speed 1 (2 mph) [1]

"Care Bear STARE!" Affliction 6 (Will; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (Quirk: Limited to Evil Beings) [17]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Stare or Call +6 (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +1, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Care-A-Lot, The Forest of Feelings)- All of the Care Bears & Cousins have a responsibility to protect their homelands.
Responsibility (Token Care Bear Personality Trait- ie. Friendship, Wishes, Day-dreaming, etc.)- Each Care Bear & Cousin is responsible for a particular habit, type of friendship, or other trait, and must stick to it. This often extends to negative personality traits, like grouchiness (Grumpy Bear), gluttony (Lotsa-Heart Elephant), competitiveness and arrogance (Champ Bear), narcolepsy (Bedtime Bear), etc.
Power Loss (Care Bear Stare or Call)- Each Bear or Cousin requires their tummy symbol (or... *ugh*... "belly badge") to use the Stare (or, in the Cousins' case, "Call"). They may also require the ability to speak. I can't remember. I don't know if it ever came up.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 12 (96)

-Behold, the mighty CARE BEARS! Created by a friggin' greeting card company and turning into an international franchise with toys, cartoons, MOVIES and more, I probably watched more of this show than any other cartoon back in my childhood, but not entirely of my own volition- it was just on ALL THE FREAKING TIME. I mean, if you were a kid in mid-1980s Canada, and you wanted to watch a cartoon, it was this and The Mighty Hercules all day long, and you had to deal with it. It was sometimes-amusing and funny (that one where the Evil Scientist is kidnapping the Care Bears to send them to his "Room of DOOM"- which he goes on to say in the same tone of voice about fifteen times), but it was usually really dull. Things got HORRIBLE during the Nelvana-made "same small cast of characters running around" period, so the original run with DiC behind it is much better (DiC and Nelvana are pretty much the defining examples of "Cheap-Ass, Bland Animated Products Aimed at Children" in the 1980s, but each had it's own successes). But seriously, if you see Cheer Bear with her dumb ponytail, and everyone's wearing jackets despite being otherwise nude, RUN.

-Most of the characters are rather bland since they're all based around different types of friendliness and caring (specific Bears include ones for Sharing, Cheerfulness, Tenderness, Friendship, Secrets Between Friends, Birthday Celebrations, etc.), so the more interesting types are always the flawed guys- there's a reason why Braveheart Lion (who tended to be foolhardy and often not entirely brave) and Grumpy Bear (who taught us... that it was OK to be a cynical grouch, I guess. Guess which one I sympathized with more?) are two of the most popular characters.

-There were a handful of movies, two of which hit theatres. The first two are honestly pretty good (the first has a REALLY scary villain considering it's just a head in a book, and the shapeshifting, satanic Darkheart is great in the second). The series got a resurrection lately with some CGI stuff and colour shifts in a few Bears, but really, this is pure, unadulterated kids' stuff, as it should be (not EVERY show can be ultra-cynical and full of smarmy pop-culture references). In all, I'd say the series is VERY hit or miss, with some episodes sucking worse than a black hole, and others actually being fairly interesting.
-The series has been rebooted a ridiculous number of times, seemingly to meet a new generation of children. Seriously, 2002, 2007 and 2012 all saw reboots of the franchise! And again 2018 has some, with new "everyone looks the same" cutesy designs, and extremely colorful bears being the norm after the initial release of characters. The 2002 relaunch is the only one to include the Care Bear Cousins- given that the basic bear design is the cheapest to reproduce, it's no surprise that most relaunches dump everyone but the bears, despite how important Brave Heart Lion in particular was to the franchise. It's a bit bizarre seeing the modern bears, however- each relaunch tends to include most of the original batch (Tenderheart was out for a while, but has returned), but now it's a never-ending series of Care Bears of bizarre colors, most of which are gradients in multiple hues, with inevitable rainbow-based belly badges. There were rainbows on some bears before, but now it's become almost the default- there's four (Bashful Heart, Thanks-A-Lot, Hopeful Heart and Best Friend Bear) in the 2006 relaunch, the special Rainbow Heart Bear from 2017, and Togetherness, Dream Bright, Dare to Care, Care-A-Lot, and I Care Bear in the 2018 line alone! That's FIVE BEARS in the 2018 line with rainbows on their symbols!

Versions of the Franchise:
Care Bears Merchandise (1982): The initial release of merchandise from American Greetings, consisting of greeting cards, small plastic figures, and plush toys. Just a small handful of characters at first, but later added the Care Bear Cousins and additional bears, tying in to the TV series.

Care Bears (1985): The initial release of a cartoon, by DiC. Enemies in this one varied- Professor Coldheart, Auntie Freeze and others. Only 11 episodes came out before Nelvana took over.

Care Bears Family (1986): A 1986-88 continuation of the original series, animated by Nelvana. This was all over Canadian TV at the time, probably due to Canadian Content regulations. Episodes typically featured the gang going down to Earth to help one human in trouble, dealt with No-Heart's villainous schemes (along with his niece Shreeky, who becomes a recurring villain), or featuring Grams Bear telling a story to Baby Hugs & Tugs. 49 episodes were released over three years.

Care Bears: Adventures in Care-A-Lot (2007): A cartoon series focusing only on five bears- Cheer Bear, Grumpy Bear, Funshine Bear, Share Bear, and new character Oopsy Bear. The others tend to appears as cameos or one-offs, with no Cousins. The characters now act very childishly, and are drawn very cutesy, with huge heads. They have an antagonist named Grizzle. This is the debut of the term "Belly Badge", replacing "Tummy Symbol". Only 26 episodes were made.

Return to Care-A-Lot (2012): A CGI series that was the 30th anniversary. Kept to only the Care Bears themselves, and had pretty limited animation. Tenderheart Bear returned as the leader. Only 26 episodes were created.

Care Bears And Cousins (2015): A continuation of the above, which reintroduces the Care Bear Cousins. Only twelve episodes were created. This is notably the final appearance of the Cousins.

Care Package Chronicles (2017): A VERY short-lived, disastrous series that came out on YouTube, and was to feature the Care Bears sending out care packages. It was so poorly received that YouTube unlisted it, and only five episdoes came out.

Care Bears: Unlock the Magic (2019): The most recent reboot, coming out in 2019 and continuing to this day. The characters appear cutesy and quite a bit younger (teenage-ish). 50 episodes have come out so far.

-This set pretty much accounts for nearly every one of the Care Bears (and the Cousins, who are the same in all but name, including their "Cousin Call"), with some minor modifications based off of certain individuals. But yeah, Wish Bear, Grumpy Bear, Cheer Bear, etc. can all be used with this template. Their Stare is pretty weak individually, but keep in mind the little buggers tend to hit about 6 or 7 of these AT ONCE, pummelling poor No-Heart with authority. PL 4 offensively, and PL 2 Defensively, they're no real threat to a Marvel super-villain, but to a scientist who's trying to make the world colder, they're DEADLY.

THE CARE BEARS:
TENDERHEART BEAR (Fur- Brown/Red; Symbol- Large Heart): Presence 5, Dexterity 4, Leadership, Will +8, Ultimate Will Save [12]
-The true leader of the group initially, and usually led field missions. Oddly, he was removed from the reboots until 2012.

TRUE HEART BEAR (Fur- Multi-Pastel on White; Symbol- Multi-Colored Star With Heart Inside): Leadership, Awareness 4, Presence 4, Dexterity 4 [9]
-The Main Leader, introduced in the second film as a retcon, alongside Noble Heart Horse. Typically never went on field missions. She is retconned in as a mother figure at the founder of Care-A-Lot, and thereafter appears in the remainder of the cartoon as a bit of a respected elder and the one who's REALLY in charge (taking over Tenderheart's role). She reappears in the 2002 & 2007 reboots, but is established as a generic backgrounder the same age as everyone else.

CHEER BEAR (Fur- Pink; Symbol- Rainbow):
-Often shown as a bit of a valley-girl, selfish type. One of the major symbols of the franchise, owing to her color scheme and recognizable symbol. Appeared in the later seasons wearing a ponytail and a mall-rat outfit. One of the most important characters.

FRIEND BEAR (Fur- Orange; Symbol- Intertwined Flowers):
-Based around friendship. Friend Bear is the only one Secret Bear talks to, translating their whispers. She is also one of the major characters of the Care Bears Movie, helping the children learn to care. Though she's a frequent backgrounder after that, she becomes far less important, and the Nelvana shows barely use him. Becomes a male character in the 2020s revamp.

GOOD LUCK BEAR (Fur- Light Green; Symbol- Shamrock):
-Visually-distinctive for the coloring and appeared on a lot of merch, but never really had a strong character. He appears a bit in the first movie and off and on in the cartoon series, but wasn't one of the top bears- despite that, he's one of the iconic ones in marketing, because moreso than the others, he really represents how fantastical they are- how many GREEN BEARS do you know? To me, he's also a "classic" Bear- single color, and a single-colored tummy symbol. Simple and to the point, like an old sports team logo.

CHAMP BEAR (Fur- Light Brown, Blue in the Remakes; Symbol- Trophy With Heart): Athletics +8, Agility 4, Profession (Athlete) +6 [7]
-An athletic, exciteable bear, Champ Bear represented trying your best and physical fitness, but because the show needed conflict, was often depicted as over-confident and overly-competitive. He was chosen for the later seasons and wore a sports-jacket and headband there. Curiously, the Remakes made him less plain (actually the plainest of all the bears, with a real-world color) by turning him BLUE. He was actually a later addition to the works, appearing two years after the initial batch of Care Bears, but his merch appearance swiftly led to him being a major cartoon character. The Care Bears' Big Wish Movie oddly uses him as the LEADER of the Care Bears, as Tenderheart was being written out around this time. He is a backgrounder in more shows after that.

GRUMPY BEAR (Fur- Blue; Symbol- Clouds Raining Hearts):
-A cynical, dreary grouch, Grumpy rarely wanted to engage in fun stuff with the others, and would rather bitch about everything all day long. One of the most distinctive characters, meaning he's in every version in prominent roles. His purpose is to show that it's okay to be "down" sometimes, but he's really just there for conflicts. His Deadpan Snarker ways actually made him the most popular Care Bear- in such a saccharine show, having someone who was basically a combination of Rabbit & Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh made for some fun gags, as he riffs on everything. Kind of the same role Grumpy played in Snow White, in fact- someone to represent the cynics of the audience.

BEDTIME BEAR (Fur- Aquamarine; Symbol- Moon):
-Always seen sleeping. The joys of... narcolepsy, I guess? Mostly a background gag.

FUNSHINE BEAR (Fur- Yellow; Symbol- Sun):
-The Pollyana, even for THIS group! Just a backgrounder for the most part. Which is kind of odd, as they debuted in *1982* and are one of the most visually distinctive bears (all yellow), but just never got any use until 2007 series, where suddenly he's a male character with a red ballcap and one of the "Core Five" in the reduced cast!

LOVE-A-LOT BEAR (Fur- Pink; Symbol- Twin Heats):
-Shows up a lot on merch, alongside Cheer Bear, but is really just a minor character- you can kinda tell because the appearance is pretty generic (Cheer Bear is also pink; Tender Heart also has a heart belly badge). Meant to show the joys of love (in the PG sense, I guess). She appears as a backgrounder most of the time, but appears in nearly every series. Has a ponytail in the 2000s relaunch.

WISH BEAR (Fur- Mint; Symbol- Shooting Star):
-Shows the joys of wishes. One of the most powerful bears, having the ability to do nearly anything if she wished it- in the inaugural cartoon, she simply wished everyone to Coldheart's castle. She is a major character in every incarnation of the franchise, though early versions were usually somewhat spacey and naive, not thinking through her wishes. She was the star of the Wish Movie, in which she accidentally wished for three douchey bears to come to Care-A-Lot, though things worked out in the end.

SHARE BEAR (Fur- Purple; Symbol- Twin Milkshakes- Later Lollipops): Create 2 (Feats: Innate, Precise) [5]
-This dirty communist was all about getting children to share their belongings with others. Her twin milkshakes symbol was later changed to a pair of lollipops so that kids wouldn't share germs... really. And yeah, she could actually make milkshakes and stuff come from her stomach. Seemed incapable of just making a gun and shooting No-Heart in the head, which would have been WAY more awesome. She was one of the "Core Five" in Adventures in Care-A-Lot, and did PSAs in the 1980s shows- overall, she is the most important of "the purple ones", usually showing up in every incarnation in an important way.

BIRTHDAY BEAR (Fur- Gold; Symbol- Cupcake):
-Didn't get a lot of focus- one of the least-used of the 1982 originals. Meant to show the joys of birthdays- I think I remember a big one where she helped out a little rich boy who had no friends to come to his birthday party. A maze was involved.

SECRET BEAR (Fur- Orange, Pink in the Remakes; Symbol- Heart-Shaped Lock):
-Spoke only in whispers, usually to Friend Bear. Appears only in cameos in later series, despite a change to being bright pink.

HARMONY BEAR (Fur- Purple; Symbol- Flower With Multi-Colored Petals, Three Hearts or Three Musical Notes):
-Was UK/Australia-exclusive, but later appeared in the second movie, joining the TV show. I never remember her, but she appears frequently in the later shows, having a fancier symbol (now a multi-colored flower), to the point where she's almost a default alongside the "generic" ones like Good Luck & Funshine Bear.

GRAMS BEAR (Fur- Gray/Blue; Symbol- Rose): Agility -1, Awareness 4, Perform (Storytelling) +8 [-2]
-Grams appeared with the Cubs, typically reading boring-ass stories.

GRAMPS BEAR (Fur- Brown; Symbol- N/A):
-A one-off seen in a single photo frame- possibly deceased. He is Grams Bear's husband and grandfather to Baby Hugs & Tugs. Unusually, he wears both glasses and typical "old man" clothes from the '80s- overalls and a button-up shirt.

BABY HUGS BEAR (Fur- Pink; Symbol- Star Peeking Behind Heart):
BABY TUGS BEAR (Fur- Blue; Symbol- Star In Diapers):
-Two annoying kids that shrieked "Goody-Goody-Gosh!" a lot. The Babyfication of a great deal of '80s fiction demanded that BABY Care Bears be created. They came to dominate a huge chunk of the show until they rebooted it with an adventuring squad.

TAKE CARE BEAR (Fur- Honey-Yellow, then Pale Pink, then Mulberry Purple; Symbol- Smiling Apple or Smiling Heart With Star):
-Only appeared in a coloring book about cough medicine in the 1980s toyline. Surprisingly got relaunched in the 2000s with a pink look instead of yellow, and a new belly badge, then got ANOTHER color change in the 2019 Unlock the Magic relaunch! Generally seen as overly cautious/protective.

THE CARE BEAR COUSINS:
* Of the Cousins, only a tiny handful- the first five listed, play any sort of a role.

NOBLE HEART HORSE (Fur- Purple; Symbol- Multi-Colored Heart With Star Inside):
-The leader of the Cousins- True Heart's partner in founding Care-A-Lot (his symbol is the opposite of hers). One of my favorites when I was a kid; I never saw a toy. The removal of the Care Bear Cousins from most incarnations means he has no more role- True Heart shifts to be the same age as the other characters, and in the few incarnations WITH the Cousins, he again doesn't appear!

BRAVE HEART LION (Fur- Brown/Orange; Symbol- Crowned Heart): Presence 4, Fighting 3, Ranged Combat (Call) +2, All-Out Attack, Leadership [7]
-The Field Leader of the Cousins, Brave Heart is boastful and arrogant to the point where it's a major character flaw, and isn't as brave as he seems.

BRIGHT HEART RACCOON (Fur- Purple; Symbol- Lightbulb): INT 8, Technology 4 (+12), Inventor [17]
-One of the major characters- even got to appear in the later season on their flying ship, one of the most important characters. A brilliant inventor, he was the "Smart Guy" character and thus of extreme importance- EVERY '80s show had one of these guys in it.

LOTSA HEART ELEPHANT (Fur- Pink; Symbol- Weight With Heart On It): Strength 4, Agility 0, Features 2 (Increased Weight) [6]
-A giant fat-ass. Possibly a pink reference to drunken hallucinations or ****ed up Disney animated sequences.

COZY HEART PENGUIN (Fur- Purple; Symbol- Wool-Capped Heart): Swimming 4 (8 mph), Immunity (Cold) [5]
-Arguably the cutest character. Not a major character, but had to save everyone from No-Heart once. In a 2000s version, spoke only gibberish.

SWIFT-HEART RABBIT (Fur- Ligth Blue; Symbol- Winged Heart): Speed 6 (60 mph) [6]
-A Speedster. Not a major character.

GENTLE HEART LAMB (Fur- Mint; Symbol- Lace-Covered Heart):
-A wussy afraid of conflict.

PLAYFUL HEART MONKEY (Fur- Yellow; Symbol- Heart With Party Horn):
-A joker. Mostly a backgrounder.

TREAT HEART PIG (Fur- Yellow; Symbol- Ice Cream Cone):
-A gluttonous swine.

PROUD HEART CAT (Fur- Light Brown; Turquoise in the 2000s; Symbol- Pink Star With Heart Inside):
-Extremely prideful. Like a... well, you know. One of the most minor characters in the entire cartoon series- nearly everyone else got something to do- I can't even remember Proud Heart SAYING anything. She does get a focus episode where Playful Heart Monkey wrecks her garden, and the two have to team up to save everyone. Was made turquoise in the 2000s revamp.

LOYAL HEART DOG (Fur- Green/Blue; Symbol- Heart With Dog Collar): Senses (Acute Scent, Tracking) [2]
-Probably the least-used character of the entire original canon. Basically NEVER appears, and when he does, it's only as a backgrounder who rarely says much. The design is a bit weird- like someone shifted the bear ears into floppy hound-dog ones.

xxxxxx KOALA (Fur- Light Brown; Symbol- N/A):
-The Koala is an unreleased figure who never saw even a belly badge- it was meant for the 1990 line, but work was cancelled before anything could be done.

Extra Additions (ie. they don't really matter, and are mostly one-shots):
Original Series:
PERFECT PANDA (Fur- White & Black; Symbol- Gold Star With Ribbon):
POLITE PANDA (Fur- White & Purple; Symbol- Pink Rose With Ribbon):
-These twins only featured in one episode of the show (I've never seen it), but were reissued in the 2000s.

PRIZE BEAR (Fur- Various; Symbol- Tenderheart Bear & Brave Heart Lion Holding a Trophy):
-A promotional giveaway from the '80s, built on bases of Tenderheart & other bears, resulting in multiple colors with the same belly badge. Only 100 were ever created.

AMERICA CARES BEAR (Fur- White; Symbol- Red White & Blue Shooting Star/American Flag):
-Also known as Proud Heart Bear with an environmentalist bent in the early '90s, he now represents America itself.

SEA FRIEND BEAR (Fur- Sea Blue; Symbol- Ocean Wave & Smiling Sun):
-A UK/Australian exclusive in the '80s with an environmentalist theme, Sea Friend was renamed Ocean Friend Bear in 2022 and included in that line, and also changed from male to female.

FOREST FRIEND BEAR (Fur- Light Brown/Dark Brown Symbol- Rabbits Hugging in a Forest/Rabbit & Bear Hugging in a Heart):
-A forest version of the above, also relaunched in 2022.

SURPRISE BEAR (Fur- Deep Purple or Blue; Symbol- Jack In The Box With Star):
-Released in the '80s as merch-only, but was made purple in a 2012 relaunch, and actually got some TV appearances there.

DAYDREAM BEAR (Fur- Blue/Purple; Symbol- Purple Saturnian Heart):
-Released in the UK in the '80s. Has a vivid imagination. Largely got forgotten, never appearing in the cartoons, but suddenly reappeared in the 2000s merchandise, with 2003, 2017 and even 2022 getting versions of her!

I LOVE YOU BEAR (Fur- Yellow; Symbol- Heart):
-A giveaway to charity groups in the 1980s- never had real appearances.

PRECIOUS HEART BEAR (Fur- Dark Pink; Symbol- Two Hearts in a Circle of Hearts):
-A 1991 bear meant to be released, but never was due to low sales for the line. Her gimmick was that a key could unlock her belly badge, and you could store "secrets" inside it.

RECYCLING BEAR (Fur- Light Blue; Symbol- Recycling Symbol Over a Heart):
-A bear that only existed in coloring books and a "Walk-around" character to help convince kids to recycle.

2000s Bears:
OOPSY BEAR (Fur- Yellow/Green; Symbol- No Symbol):
-The accident-prone Oopsy Bear draws his own symbols on his tummy. He debuted in the 2007 series as one of the "Core Five", and often feels left out because he lacks any powers, making up for it with enthusiasm. He only appeared in one other CGI movie and has disappeared since then.

WONDERHEART BEAR (Fur- Pink; Symbol- Pink/Yellow/Dark Pink Layered Heart):
-Tenderheart's young niece. Represents a major character in the Welcome to Care-A-Lot series, despite never, ever getting any merchandise. She is much younger than the other bears, occasionally hanging out with Hugs & Tugs, but she cannot use belly badge powers. A lot of stories feature her learning a lesson. She appears in a music video for the modern line, but no episodes.

BASHFUL HEART BEAR (Fur- Turquoise; Symbol- Heart Behind Rainbow):
-Bashful Heart is the kind of newbie I kind of like to see- a unique color but not a wild one, and with a pretty simple belly badge. Represents shyness and being quieter than others. Bashful Heart was another 2004-era bear who showed up for a bit, then was a backgrounder in the 2012 relaunch. Hasn't appeared since.

LAUGH-A-LOT BEAR (Fur- Orange; Symbol- Laughing Star):
-A 2003 bear who vanished afterwards, only to suddenly reappear with the 2018 line. Has a pretty classic look, with Friend Bear's color and a monochromatic belly badge.

DO-YOUR-BEST BEAR (Fur- Lime Green; Symbol- Kite):
-A merch-only addition to the 2004 line, Do-Your-Best Bear was yet another green one with a motivational bent (kinda like Champ Bear, really), but made appearances in most of the later runs, including the most recent.

PLAY-A-LOT BEAR (Fur- Light Blue; Symbol- Violet Bouncing Ball):
-A 2002-06 bear who never appears in any shows, but got a version in the Adventures in Care-A-Lot style as well before being forgotten. Mostly about the joy of play.

THANKS-A-LOT BEAR (Fur- Dark Teal; Symbol- Shooting Star With Rainbow Trail):
-Distinctive thanks to her very dark color scheme, Thanks-A-Lot Bear debuted in merchandise in 2004, and has actually lived on in multiple incarnations since then! She got a few toys early on, and showed up in the CGI series that came out later. She even appears in supplementary material for the new relaunch.

BEST FRIEND BEAR (Fur- Violet; Symbol- Smiling Heart & Star Linked By Rainbow):
-This guy seems redundant with Friend Bear around. I mean, why do you need BOTH, especially when Friend Bear is one of the classics and has such a plain color scheme versus this purple rainbow-based one? Best Friend Bear debuted in the 2002-06 line and has made subsequent appearances. In many ways, he's almost the progenitor of what the line became- I feel like the vast majority of later Bears became purple ones with multicolored belly badges.

HOPEFUL HEART BEAR (Fur- Fuschia; Symbol- Heart With Radiating Rainbow Lights):
-A strange case of a character brought into the 2004 merchandise line but has never been given a speaking role, despite recurring appearances in subsequent lines. I think the issue is she represents yet another "Pink + Multicolored Belly Badge" visual concept, making her pretty generic. An eternal optimist, which is at least somewhat unique.

SMART HEART BEAR (Fur- Watermelon Pink; Symbol- Apple):
-Teaches that school is fun. Another 2004-era bear that appears in subsequent toy lines but never in any TV shows. I actually like that this one has a more "classical" look- fruity pink with a two-color belly badge actually stands out now that the show's going for wild colors and 18 colors in each symbol.

ALWAYS THERE BEAR (Fur- Hot Pink; Symbol- Pink & Lavender Hearts):
-Represents dependability. Another merch-only bear, appearing in 2006 and sometimes showing up in art, like in the most recent one. Has a pretty classical look, with a simple color (though there are a LOT of pink bears now) and a simple belly badge (almost too much like Love-A-Lot Bear's, though).

AMIGO BEAR (Fur- Red/Orange; Symbol- Aztec Spiral Sun & Hearts):
-A Mexico-themed Bear. Debuted in 2005, but got a TV spot in Adventures in Care-A-Lot, where he is the town's ice cream vendor. Was a backgrounder in the Cousins TV series but hasn't appeared since.

HEARTSONG BEAR (Fur- Teal; Symbol- Rainbow Musical Note):
-A natural musician who always wants to perform. Merch-only, but a long-standing one ever since a 2006 debut, showing up in a variety of toylines, including the current one (where she's a dancing toy). A pretty solid design, where she's one color and has a multicolored belly badge, but not supremely garish nor just "Rainbow + Other Thing".

SWEET DREAMS BEAR (Fur- Light Purple; Symbol- Sleeping Moon & Cloud):
-A pretty unnecessary variant of Bedtime Bear. Appeared in 2005 as part of a new wave of toys, and hit the next two series, and eventually got a TV appearance in Welcome to Care-A-Lot. She is responsible for giving other bears sweet dreams, apparently.

SHINE BRIGHT BEAR (Fur- Fuschia; Symbol- Sunrise Inside Heart):
-A "fashionista" type from the 2006 relaunch. Comes off pretty generic given the "pink/heart" design shared by others. Showed up in the CGI show immediately following this, but never again.

SUPERSTAR BEAR (Fur- Lemon Yellow; Symbol- Multiple Colored Stars & Hearts):
-Kind of a female version of Champ Bear, debuting in the 2002-06 line. Got an Adventures in Care-A-Lot redesign, but never showed up in the shows.

ALL MY HEART BEAR (Fur- Red; Symbol- Red & White Heart):
-Valentine's Day-themed Target exclusive from 2006.

WORK OF HEART BEAR (Fur- Multiple Colors; Symbol- Artist's Palette & Brush):
-A 2006 merch-only bear. One of the first multicolored bears, with each limb, the torso & head all being different colors. Received a toy in 2021 as well.

SHIVER ME TIMBEAR (Fur- Light Brown; Symbol- Heart & Crossbones):
-From the 2007 CGI series. A famed pirate bear who lived "long ago", engaging in grand theft. The other bears talk about him and try to find his hidden treasure. A direct ancestor of Tenderheart.

HEART OF GOLD BEAR (Fur- White; Symbol- Gold Heart):
-A merch-exclusive 2008 bear. Celebrates "making the world a more caring place to be".

PINK POWER BEAR (Fur- Pink; Symbol- Pink Ribbon):
-Target-exclusive from 2008 for Breast Cancer Awareness.

SWEET SAKURA BEAR (Fur- Light Pink; Symbol- Cherry Blossom):
-Sweet Sakura Bear is a Japan-themed character with a pretty classical (if generic) appearance- well-detailed belly badge, though. She was created in 2009, but actually got a figure in 2014 as well.

GREAT GIVING BEAR (Fur- Bright Red; Symbol- Gift Box With Heart Inside): Teleport 10 (Easy, Accurate) [40]
-The Care Bears equivalent to Santa Claus. Appears only in the 2012 cartoon series, but is supposed to be re-released in 2023.

TRICK-OR-SWEET BEAR (Fur- Orange; Symbol- Pumpkin):
-A forgotten bear from 2013, representing Halloween. Has since been replaced by others, but appears briefly in a guidebook with the new art style.

CHRISTMAS WISHES BEAR (Fur- White originally, then Light Blue; Symbol- Christmas Tree):
-Another holiday-themed bear, debuting in 2014. Appears in a 2017 live show held in a Singapore mall, and re-released a few times over the years. Shows up in a modern guidebook as well, in the new art style and now light blue instead of white.

RAINBOW HEART BEAR (Fur- Sparkly Purple; Symbol- Rainbow Making a Heart Shape):
-A 35th-Anniversary celebration bear, debuting in 2017 as a one-off. Had sparkly/glittery fur- I remember seeing this one in stores on the previous Care Bears line before it switched over to the new set. Appeared in a couple unique videos and that's it.

BO THE TAKE CARE BEAR (Fur- Yellow; Symbol- Child's Drawing of a Rainbow):
-Bo was created in 2013 as a unique character to act as a mascot for University Hospitals Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital- a mascot suit was created and a few plushes of different colors- yellow, pink & blue.

PIECE OF HEART BEAR (Fur- Hot Pink; Symbol- Quilted Heart):
-A "Create Your Own Care Bear" contest was held in 2018, with Piece of Heart Bear winning- the quilted heart is made of pieces from various Care Bears to signify the bonds that hold them together. A plush was intended to be created, but was silently cancelled as the Care Bears line switched over from one toy company to another- only two plushes were created. One is owned by the winner of the contest (a nine-year old girl) and the other was actually STOLEN from the booth at Toy Fair!

Douchebag Bears:
ME BEAR (Fur- Lilac; Symbol- Hand Mirror):
TOO LOUD BEAR (Fur- Deep Red; Symbol- Bullhorn):
MESSY BEAR (Fur- Periwinkle; Symbol- Whirlwind):
-A trio of Bears from a CGI Care Bears' Big Wish Movie. Me Bear is a narcissist, Too Loud Bear is a fast-talking wisecracker with a bullhorn, and Messy Bear makes messes. The trio all migrate to Care-A-Lot as outsiders when Wish Bear makes a wish for new neighbors, and have trouble fitting in. Their selfishness results in them asking for more and more extravagant things from a being, and Care-A-Lot is nearly destroyed- realizing the error of their ways, they make good. None of them ever get toys.

2019+ Bears:
UNITY BEAR (Fur- Light Teal; Symbol- Three Paws Forming Triangle):
-Unity Bear is from a 2020 mobile game Panda Pop. Represents the strength of banding together, via "the strongest shape in nature", the triangle.

SWEET MESSAGE BEAR (Fur- Pastel Rainbow; Symbol- Twin Smiling Pink & Purple Hearts):
-A Japan-exclusive from 2022 with fur you could "draw" on.

SPARKLE HEART BEAR (Fur- White; Symbol- Multi-Colored Diamond):
-A Japan-exclusive from 2019. Meant to keep the bonds between people strong.

WATCHFUL BEAR (Fur- Mint Green; Symbol- Star w/ Gold Swirls Around It):
-A show-only bear from 2019, Watchful Bear acts as a mysterious old mentor to Tenderheart Bear, having trained him to be a leader and go his own way many years ago. He shows up in modern times complimenting him and Cheer Bear for their leadership.

DREAM BRIGHT BEAR (Fur- Sky Blue/Lavender; Symbol- Winged Heart at End of Rainbow):
-A classic example of the modern-day "variable color bears", Dream Bright Bear is sky blue but has lavender limbs via a steady gradient shift, and a multicolored belly badge. Teaches optimism. Also totally redundant with Bedtime Bear & Wish Bear.

DARE TO CARE BEAR (Fur- Purple/Pink/Blue/Yellow; Symbol- Yellow & Blue Shooting Stars w/ Rainbow Trails):
-A perfect encapsulation of how wild the color schemes have gotten- Dare To Care Bear has a pink body, purple, pink & blue limbs, and a yellow head, with a multicolored belly badge. "Believes in the power of kindness and friendship" like... a Care Bear.

TOGETHERNESS BEAR (Fur- Rainbow; Symbol- Rainbow Forming a Heart):
-2021 saw the release of Togetherness Baer, a new "god bear" design that is full of gradients, in this case rainbow hues, with a rainbow belly badge (though this is downright plain compared to the FOUR OTHER rainbow-themed bears of the 2018 line). Togetherness is about everyone accepting each other for what they are.

I CARE BEAR (Fur- Light Blue/Green; Symbol- Heart & Earth Linked by Rainbow):
-Yes, yet another multicolored "rainbow symbol" bear. Released for Earth Day in 2022.

TRUE NORTH BEAR (Fur- Pink-Tinged White; Symbol- Maple Leaf):
-A prototype bear in the 2000s that was made a full character in 2022. Represents Canada, with an iconic red toque.

CARE-A-LOT BEAR (Fur- White/Purple/Pink; Symbol- Pink Care-A-Lot Castle Above a Rainbow & Clouds):
-ANOTHER anniversary bear, Care-A-Lot Bear hit the modern line with a 40th Anniversary deal in 2022. She's even got RAINBOW EYES! She celebrates Care-A-Lot itself, and is said to be the very FIRST Care Bear (man, what even is this show's continuity?), and the most powerful.

SWEET MESSAGE BEAR (Fur- Rainbow Pastel; Symbol- Pink & Purple Smiling Hearts):
-A Japan-exclusive bear for the 40th Anniversary. You can write on her.

SWEET CELEBRATION BEAR (Fur- Tan; Symbol- Heart & Star w/ Confetti):
-A brand-new 2022 bear who's all about partying.

CALMING HEART BEAR (Fur- Yellow to Pink; Symbol- Multicolored Butterfly):
-Yet another "gradient"-colored bear, Calming Heart is a newbie who is peaceful and calming.

DESTINY BEAR (Fur- Red; Symbol- Crowned Red Heart on Yellow Shield):
-A UK-exclusive bear debuting in 2023. The ears, paws and nose are all shiny gold, making it stand out.

SPOOKY SPARKLE BEAR (Fur- Orange/Red/Purple Stripes; Symbol- Heart w/ Bat Wings):
-An odd-looking bear with horizontal stripes, Spooky Sparkle Bear is garish and about Halloween, even having vampire fangs on.

LOTS-A-PRIDE BEAR (Fur- Blue; Symbol- Half-Blue/Half-Rainbow Heart):
-Exists only in a merch banner for new- presumably about Gay Pride.

ALWAYS HERE BEAR (Fur- Light Blue w/ White Legs; Symbol- Blushing Heart w/ Three Hearts):
-Except for his feet fading to white, this looks like a pretty generic newbie bear.

BE ME BEAR (Fur- Hot Pink; Symbol- Blank):
-Be Me Bear is an upcoming customizable bear with a blank belly space so you can draw your own symbol.

PEEL & REVEAL BEARS (Fur- Various; Symbol- Various- combines two symbols into one):
-"Blind Bag" bears where you peel off the stuff over their fur to reveal the Bear. Most are unique characters who combine two Bears together.

INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE GIRL BEARS (Fur- Various; Symbol- Various):
-A set of 39 unique bears designed by various people and auctioned off on eBay in 2019. Small plastic figurines only, each representing a certain cause (like self-care, rescue animals, feminism, etc.). Most sold for $130-200, while Kacey Musgraves & Paris Jackson made ones that sold for over $850. Iman, Hilary Duff, Sia, Michelle Williams and others all designed bears.

BLACK LIVES MATTER BEAR (Fur- Charcoal Grey; Symbol- Black Power Fist):
-OH MY GOD THERE'S A BLACK LIVES MATTER BEA-- no, apparently this was created by an ex-American Greetings employee for their art store, and doesn't officially exist. AG made her take it down, anyhow, lol.

Web-Only Bears:
WARM FUZZIES BEAR (Fur- Dark Pink; Symbol- Cloud Hugging a Heart):
HELLO FREN BEAR (Fur- Purple; Symbol- Purple Word Balloon w/ Three Hearts):
SELF CARE BEAR (Fur- Lime Green; Symbol- Peace Symbol in Lotus Circle):
ILY BEAR (Fur- Light Purple/Blue; Symbol- Pink Heart Inside Rainbow Heart):
PIXIE BEAR (Fur- Pink; Symbol- Winged Heart):
ZOMBIE BEAR (Fur- Purple w/ dark patches; Symbol- Pumpkin):
BAD CROWD BEAR (Fur- Purple; Symbol- Upside-Down Purple Heart):
CYBORG BEAR (Fur- Brown/Half-Grey; Symbol- Half-Grey Heart):
INVESTOR BEAR (Fur- Purple; Symbol- Blue Chain):
ENJOYER BEAR (Fur- Light Blue; Symbol- Video Game Controller):
COLLECTOR BEAR (Fur- Orange; Symbol- Coin):
I CAN BEAR (Fur- Orange; Symbol- Blue Rocket Ship):
MAGIC SPARKLES BEAR (Fur- Purple to Pink Gradient; Symbol- Purple Diamond):
TRUE LIGHT BEAR (Fur- Purple/Blue; Symbol- Star w/ Pink Band):
METAVERSE BEAR (Fur- Black w/ Light Blue Outlines; Symbol- Pixelated Blue Heart):
GLITCH BEAR (Fur- Black w/ Red & White Lines; Symbol- White Heart):
-Honest to god *NFT* bears. Exists only digitally. Warm Fuzzies represents the warm feelings people can experience while happy. Hello Fren Bear has glasses and represents online friendships. Self Care Bear represents how you must love yourself before you can love others. ILY Bear ("I Love You" Bear) has a ton of colors and a ponytail. Pixie Bear has wings and flies around telling everyone they're worthy of love. Zombie Bear is about Halloween. Bad Crowd Bear has a punk-like mohawk, leather jacket and bad attitude. Cyborg Bear is from the future where "Grizzle" is worshipped, but is himself loyal to the Care Bears. I Can Bear is dressed up like a superhero, with a purple mask & cape. Metaverse Bear is part of "the metaverse" and Glitch Bear was uploaded by him, but something went wrong- he now glitches in and out of space. Most of the others have no description.

Not Shown Yet: Warm Hug Bear, Ocean Breeze Bear, Believe Bear, Heart Shine Bear, Caring Heart Bear
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm impressed that you managed to list most, if not all, of the Care Bears. I liked them..when I was a kid, anyway.
Has No-Heart done anything stat-worthy? The villain from the first movie is just an evil book spirit with vague magical powers, so not really stattable there. Dark Heart would probably just be a Variable/Shapeshift, I guess using his human form as the baseline? (The Care Bears were so lucky he turned good, because he seemed pretty powerful.) The Wonderland movie had an Evil Wizard that's totally not Jafar, but I don't think he actually did anything besides that one song with the creepy face that's on screen for like less than a second, so not worth statting.
Last edited by KorokoMystia on Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, they're all a little vague. Though oddly, much more menacing than the bad guys of "older kids" fare like He-Man and She-Ra. Beastly and Shreeky were buffoons, but No-Heart and Dark Heart were treated like dangerous threats, and not prone to slapstick. Dark Heart is also where I picked up my love of Animal Shapeshifting characters.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:49 am Yeah, they're all a little vague. Though oddly, much more menacing than the bad guys of "older kids" fare like He-Man and She-Ra. Beastly and Shreeky were buffoons, but No-Heart and Dark Heart were treated like dangerous threats, and not prone to slapstick. Dark Heart is also where I picked up my love of Animal Shapeshifting characters.
It's sort of like the difference between fairy tale villains and more modern fantasy villains. The villains of fairy tales can be frankly absurd in how menacing they are given that the heroes aren't meant to be a threat to them physically outside of one or two weird outliers such as using a special Quest Specific Item, while the fantasy villains are often individuals who the heroes can present a physical challenge to. Naturally older fantasy tends to blur these lines somewhat, which is why Lord of the Rings has Sauron and the Witch-King defeated respectively through jewellery disposal and his own misgendering of an opponent.

As a fun fact, the latter arose from Tolkien's distaste with the ending of Macbeth, as did the scene where the ents converge on Isengard. He was really disappointed that the story didn't feature a woman getting around the 'no man of woman born' rule, and that the forest didn't actually uproot and march upon his castle. So he wrote scenes with those things actually happening into his own fantasy story.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Batwing

Post by Jabroniville »

BATWING (James "Jimmy" Santini)
Created By:
Kurt Busiek & Pat Olliffe
First Appearance: The Untold Tales of Spider-Man #2 (Oct. 1995)
Role: Forgotten Guy
Group Affiliations: The Initiative
PL 7 (74)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Aerobatics 4 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 7 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Startle

Powers:
"Bat Boy"
"Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) [2]
"Animal Senses" Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Echolocation" Senses 4 (Extended, Ultra & Accurate Hearing) [4]

Flight 6 (120 mph) (Feats: Subtle 2) (Flaws: Winged) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Claws +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Prejudice (Freak)- Batwing was permanently in the form of a humanoid bat creature.
Relationship (Mother)- Jimmy's mother feared him a demon when he returned in bat-form, and rejected him.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 8 (74)

-Jimmy Santini is some kid who gained Bat Powers after drinking some funky water in the Carlsbad Caverns, and pretty much resembles the fabled "Bat Boy" of Weekly World News fame. He ended up stealing food to survive after his widowed mother kicked him out of the house, and was hunted by an evil politician. This was all in the mostly-forgotten Untold Tales series, so the character wasn't used much after that, but was one of the guys brought out of the mothballs at Camp Hammond. He didn't really do much of anything, but did turn to the heroes' side after being part of Osborn's Shadow Initiative for a while.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So Batwing is here because I meant to post him with The Initiative guys, but forgot :). He wasn't a major character in it (he seems almost inspired by the "Batboy Joins the Army to Fight The Taliban" post-9/11 images from Weekly World News), but he was there.
Jabroniville

Cerebro's X-Men

Post by Jabroniville »

CEREBRO'S X-MEN:
-The "Cerebro X-Men" was a TINY tiny one-shot done in the late '90s to reintroduce alot of X-characters back into the books, after they'd been split up for a while (mainly adding the Excalibur cast of Kitty, Nightcrawler & Colossus back onto the roster). I actually was fairly into this unique little team of evil X-Men (introduced with real names and civilian I.D.s and everything) who would attack the heroes... so of course it would be revealed that they were just nanite-based entities created by a "false" Xavier (actually Cerebro gone insane... which is totally the only time part of the X-Mansion has come to life and tried to kill everyone... yes...), based off of grouped-together mutants from past adventures, and they were absorbed back into it at the end, wiping them out. Kind of a waste, as these guys would've been great recurring foes, essentially replacements to the over-done and tired Marauders, Hellfire Club or Nasty Boys.

-I actually remember hearing some kind of hype about these characters and getting a bit interested, but they were just some one-shot Carlos Pacheco-drawn guys, based off of the traits of pairs of X-characters. They're PL 10 because that's the state in which they first encountered the X-Men- had they been recurring characters, we'd probably see them turn into PL 8-9 Jobbers. Oddly, Chris Bachalo (who'd join Jason Aaron's run on the X-books years later) was the artist on the issue itself, not Pacheco.

-It's also absurd how much this team has annoyed me over the years. The reasoning is stupid as well: it bugs me that every time I searched my archives for "X-Men", they show up first (as "Cerebro X-Men"). Now, why it never occurred to me to simply call them "X-Men (Cerebro Version)" in my archives is beyond me. Similarly, they're annoying because I've MEANT to re-post them for ages- they should have been posted at RA with the other X-groups. Yet I've ALWAYS forgotten to do so, despite having these builds ready for re-posting for ages (it's not like new information has come out about the characters...).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Crux

Post by Jabroniville »

CRUX (Cristal Lemieux)
Created By:
Steve Seagle & Carlos Pacheco
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #360 (Oct. 1998)
Group Affiliations: Cerebro's X-Men
Role: One-Shot Character
PL 10 (173)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+2)
Expertise (Ice Skating) 10 (+13) -- Uses Presence
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Attack (Elemental Powers) 2 (+10)

Advantages:
Attractive, Defensive Roll 2, Improved Aim, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Control over Fire & Ice"
"Ice Bonds" Affliction 10 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Ranged) (41) -- [53]
  • AE: "Ice Wave" Affliction 10 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Area- 60ft. Cone) (41)
  • AE: "Ice Stream" Affliction 10 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Area- 30ft. Line) (41)
  • AE: "Ice Slick" Affliction 10 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (21)
  • AE: "Ice Slick" Affliction 10 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (21)
  • AE: Create Ice 8 (Feats: Innate, Precise) (Extras: Continuous) (27)
  • AE: Environment 3 (Impede Movement) (3)
  • AE: Plasma Blast 10 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating) (31)
  • AE: "Plasma Burst" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (30)
  • AE: "Plasma Steam" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (30)
  • AE: "Plasma Wave" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (30)
  • AE: "Aura Boost" Aura 6 (24)
  • AE: "Melt" Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Ranged, Objects Only +0) (20)
Plasma Aura 2 [8]
Immunity 20 (Radiation & Cold Effects) [20]
Flight 7 (240 mph) [14]
Senses 1 (Infravision) [1]
Senses 1 (Infravision) [1]
Movement 1 (Sure-Footed) (Flaws: Limited to Ice) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Plasma Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Plasma Area Effects +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Ice Area Effects (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Flame Aura +8 (+2-8 Damage, DC 17-23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 98 / Defenses: 12 (173)

-Crux is a rare power-set amongst major characters, but you'll find them here and there as minor characters- that of someone who controls fire AND ice. Basing her powers off of Sunfire & Iceman, she's weaker at either than both of them, but the fact that she has so many Alternate Effects kind of makes up for it. Like most of the other Cerebro X-Men, she's under-Skilled & Advantages, but is very capable with her powers instead.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Going nostalgically over past posts of some of these guys:

From my Dec. 2007 Care Bears builds for 2nd Edition:

Joshua (still around on our site, as MisterB!) posted, re: Care Bears:
:shock:

:shock:
dwellerofthedeep wrote:Truly the soulless killing machines Colbert warned us about. :) They totally remind me of why superhero settings need their supers.

EDIT: Oh you designed them as good guys... :shock:
Wayfarer wrote:Sadly, your Care Bear build came about a month too late for me. I'd have loved to have seen the reactions of my gaming group to being faced with a horde of summoned Care Bear minions. Ah well... there's always next year :wink:
From my May 2011 3rd Edition builds:
ShatteredFaith wrote:I....I...I dont know weather or not to hate you for stating up Care bears in my favorite PnP system, or to institute you. D:
Speed Monkey wrote:Jab, after you're done torturing us with the Care Bears how about converting your excellent Justice League animated builds to 3e? (Now quick! Someone second this idea before he starts statting up Strawberry Shortcake and friends!)
Someone also pointed out years later that "I knew Jab was crazy when I saw him stat up the Care Bears" :).

Though I think this time around may be the best commentary I've gotten on them.

Regarding Casablanca:
BARON wrote:NICE. 8)
Woodclaw wrote:Of all the builds in all the topics in this forum, I've never thought about seeing a Rick Blaine build. Jab you really have outdone yourself this time. :mrgreen:
From my 2011 3rd Edition builds:
Woodclaw wrote:Great, simply great. Possibly one of my favourite character of all times almost perfectly represented (well almost because there's always a matter of personal discretion in any build). PL4 suits him nicely, but I think I would use a +3 pistol rather than a +4.

Being so burned out, cynical and neutral is what made Rick so great. He isn't a slothful by nature, but still he set some bonduaries in place that define his "personal space" and don't want to stick his neck out. One of the thing I like most is that he and Renault start from very a similar disposition (both very neutral and with no moral standpoint), but both managed to outgrow their disposition in two different but parallel ways: Rick by rediscovering his ideals, Renault by rebelling against a system who has standards so low that even he find disgusting.
Damn, I miss Woodclaw. Dude left RA years ago, and I can't find hide nor hair of him.

Oddly, those are like the only comments my Casablanca builds ever got. It's actually THESE postings that have gotten by far the most commentary. Thanks everyone!
Scots Dragon

Re: Batwing

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:30 am Image
Somewhere Kirk Langstrom is feeling mightily ripped off and doesn't know why.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Landslide

Post by Jabroniville »

I'm afraid of CHANGIN' cuz I... built my life around you. Time makes you bolder- CHILDREN get older... I'm gettin' older, too...

LANDSLIDE (Lee Boder)
Created By:
Steve Seagle & Carlos Pacheco
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #360 (Oct. 1998)
Group Affiliations: Cerebro's X-Men
Role: One-Shot Character
PL 10 (115)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+12)
Athletics 4 (+12)
Expertise (Streetwise) 3 (+3)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Super-Strength & Agility"
Movement 2 (Sure-Footed, Wall-Crawling) [4]
Regeneration 8 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Temper- Landslide made his debut clearing a bar of it's patrons and staff after a violent brawl.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 9 (115)

-Yeah, there's no way most of these guys meet full PL caps in terms of points. Like Landslide here. Okay, first off, that is a GREAT name for a super-character, so I can't believe they used it on a one-shot (actually, that problem persists on this team- I'll mention more later). He looked kinda goofy, being Carlos Pacheco (the team's designer)'s personal dream- a guy with even BIGGER hands and feet than normal- allowing Carlos to use his trademark bulky digits TO THE EXTREME. Landslide was basically a Beast/Sabretooth combo, but lacked most of Creed's more kill-y powers, and was instead a hard-drinking redneck (despite having Rogue for a mental template) recruited to take down the original X-team. Kind of silly because he was so fat and bulky.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:44 am Oddly, those are like the only comments my Casablanca builds ever got. It's actually THESE postings that have gotten by far the most commentary. Thanks everyone!
I think part of the problem with build comments is that they rely on either discussion about the source material, or commentary on the builds themselves. And something like Casablanca is sort of a worst case scenario there because there isn't much to add to discussing the film, usually, and the characters are all low human level, which M&M isn't really designed for.

That said, it's a definite favorite of mine, with excellent dialogue and a fun story. You can really tell the mark of a good story when you easily overlook some of the plot holes in it (how much an obvious MacGuffin the Papers of Transit are, etc.). Then again, I love films and film serials of that era. There seemed to be a lot more wit and wordplay back then.

And they really did have to walk the line carefully with Rick and Victor. Both are suppose to be clearly good men that Ilsa would fall for, but we're also clearly suppose to side with Rick here. Victor is meant to be a heroic man, but one whose vulnerabilities and humanity we're never really suppose to see so that we don't empathize with him too much, because Rick's big goodbye at the end is ruined if we think that Ilsa should end up with Lazlo. It's something you really don't see all that much of in fiction, a love triangle where both of the other options are equally viable and you can pick a side. 9 times out of 10 there's clearly someone we're suppose to be rooting for.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.