Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Cerebro's X-Men

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:35 am Image

CEREBRO'S X-MEN:
-The "Cerebro X-Men" was a TINY tiny one-shot done in the late '90s to reintroduce alot of X-characters back into the books, after they'd been split up for a while (mainly adding the Excalibur cast of Kitty, Nightcrawler & Colossus back onto the roster). I actually was fairly into this unique little team of evil X-Men (introduced with real names and civilian I.D.s and everything) who would attack the heroes... so of course it would be revealed that they were just nanite-based entities created by a "false" Xavier (actually Cerebro gone insane... which is totally the only time part of the X-Mansion has come to life and tried to kill everyone... yes...), based off of grouped-together mutants from past adventures, and they were absorbed back into it at the end, wiping them out. Kind of a waste, as these guys would've been great recurring foes, essentially replacements to the over-done and tired Marauders, Hellfire Club or Nasty Boys.

-I actually remember hearing some kind of hype about these characters and getting a bit interested, but they were just some one-shot Carlos Pacheco-drawn guys, based off of the traits of pairs of X-characters. They're PL 10 because that's the state in which they first encountered the X-Men- had they been recurring characters, we'd probably see them turn into PL 8-9 Jobbers. Oddly, Chris Bachalo (who'd join Jason Aaron's run on the X-books years later) was the artist on the issue itself, not Pacheco.

-It's also absurd how much this team has annoyed me over the years. The reasoning is stupid as well: it bugs me that every time I searched my archives for "X-Men", they show up first (as "Cerebro X-Men"). Now, why it never occurred to me to simply call them "X-Men (Cerebro Version)" in my archives is beyond me. Similarly, they're annoying because I've MEANT to re-post them for ages- they should have been posted at RA with the other X-groups. Yet I've ALWAYS forgotten to do so, despite having these builds ready for re-posting for ages (it's not like new information has come out about the characters...).
Jeez, I remember these guys, and you pretty much summed up my thoughts on them. What a complete just waste of some semi-interesting character designs and concepts. Just introduced for a one shot and discarded.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Rapture

Post by Jabroniville »

RAPTURE (Sister Joy)
Created By:
Steve Seagle & Carlos Pacheco
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #360 (Oct. 1998)
Group Affiliations: Cerebro's X-Men
Role: One-Shot Character
PL 10 (109)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Acrobatics 3 (+10)
Close Combat (Sword) 4 (+15)
Expertise (Theology & Philosophy) 7 (+9)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment (Rapier), Evasion, Favored Environment (Airborne), Great Endurance, Grappling Finesse, Improved Critical (Rapier), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Redirect, Set-Up, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Flight" 
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]

Equipment:
"Rapier" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (3)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Rapier +15 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (The Grey King)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 12 (109)

-Rapture's a favored X-concept, a hot blue chick, this one a nun who's a mix of Nightcrawler & Angel. She's basically and elite Flyer/Swordfighter combo, with tons of Advantages & high Attack/Defense, but a little lower in offensive PL than the others (as befits her two progenitors). Not a bad team player, and she can hold off another melee fighter for quite a while. Also, awesome name.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Chaos

Post by Jabroniville »

CHAOS (Dan Dash)
Created By:
PL 11 (74)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -2

Skills: 
Ranged Combat (Plasma Blast) 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Plasma Wave" 
Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Penetrating 8) (41) -- [42]
  • AE: Plasma Blast 14 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (40)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Plasma Wave +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Plasma Blast +8 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Autistic)- Dan is prone to avoid social contact, and act out in an extremely emotional manner with little provocation.

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 14 (74)

-Dan Dash was an autistic mutant with Havok's powers coming out like Cyclops. He was basically a mentally handicapped Super-Blaster, which shows here as a PL 11 Area-Effecting guy with a hell of a blast, but nearly useless in most any situation other than a huge fight. And like Landslide, someone COOL needs to come along and steal that name. "CHAOS" just SCREAMS "I'm Crazy/Bad-Ass/Whatever".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scots Dragon

Re: Chaos

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:14 pm -Dan Dash was an autistic mutant with Havok's powers coming out like Cyclops. He was basically a mentally handicapped Super-Blaster, which shows here as a PL 11 Area-Effecting guy with a hell of a blast, but nearly useless in most any situation other than a huge fight. And like Landslide, someone COOL needs to come along and steal that name. "CHAOS" just SCREAMS "I'm Crazy/Bad-Ass/Whatever".
The portrayal of autistic people in these situations often leaves a lot to be desired. Checking out the issues in question, the portrayal is at best utterly inaccurate and at worst offensive.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
bsdigitalq

Re: Jab's Builds! (Constrictor! Taskmaster! GoodFellas! Captain Scarlet!)

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:44 amDamn, I miss Woodclaw. Dude left RA years ago, and I can't find hide nor hair of him.
Try DeviantArt: https://woodclaw.deviantart.com/
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

bsdigitalq wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:47 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:44 amDamn, I miss Woodclaw. Dude left RA years ago, and I can't find hide nor hair of him.
Damn! Didn't know he was there! His name never seemed to show up on Google for me!
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:13 pm
bsdigitalq wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:47 pm
Damn! Didn't know he was there! His name never seemed to show up on Google for me!
Unfortunately he hasn't been active since last year. It's a shame that he hasn't turned up again, since he was one of the few others who was still enough of a grognard to stick with 2E.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Mercury (Fasich)

Post by Jabroniville »

MERCURY I (Fasich)
Created By:
PL 10 (142)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Hitman) 6 (+8)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 7 (+9)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+9)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Close Attack, Contacts, Improved Critical (Finger-Knives) 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Mercury-Shifting Body & Magnetic Control" 
Insubstantial 1 [5]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 5) [9]

"Magnetism" Move Object 10 (Flaws: Limited to Metallics) (10) -- [11]
  • AE: "Blade Fingers" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+4 Damage, DC 16)
Blade Fingers +13 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +8 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Money)

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 10 (142)

-Mercury's a name and concept they liked so much, they eventually swiped it whole-hog for one of the new "Hellions", Cessily Kincaid. This guy's a Jordanian assassin who specializes in bladey-fingers made out of solid mercury. He's kind of a shifter-type, but mostly is a melee combatant. He also possesses a limited Magnetic Control, available only at normal range. He almost got called "Silverface" by Pacheco, but cooler heads prevailed.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Grey King

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GREY KING (Addison Falk)
Created By:
PL 10 (135)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Art) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Current Events) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Chess Player) 8 (+11) -- Costs 1/2 points
Insight 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Telekinesis & Psionic Power Nullification" 
"Power Nullification" Affliction 10 (Will; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Perception-Range +2, Cumulative) (40) -- [48]
  • Dynamic AE: Force Field 8 (Feats: Increased Mass 2, Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others, Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (27)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 10 (Feats: Precise, Dynamic) (22)
  • Dynamic AE: "TK Attack" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Feats: Dynamic) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: Flight 4 (30 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+4 Damage, DC 16)
TK Attack +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Nullification -- (+10 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+11 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Money)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 48 / Defenses: 11 (135)

-The Grey King is the 'team leader'-type, a knock-off of Jean Grey with Sebastian Shaw's code-name and Magneto's personality, with an extra Power Nullification power. He was portrayed as a snobbish rich boy with a knack for intellectual games (like Chess), very much like the old Hellfire Club enemies. He's a fairly ideal and nasty PL 10, but noticeably lacks Combat Advantages when compared to your usual X-character, since his powers are ALL that he is. That means he's good in a fight at first, but will quickly fall by the wayside if he drops his Force Field too far, or gets caught up nullifying people.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M4C8

Re: Cerebro's X-Men

Post by M4C8 »

Ares wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:44 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:35 am Image

CEREBRO'S X-MEN:
-The "Cerebro X-Men" was a TINY tiny one-shot done in the late '90s to reintroduce alot of X-characters back into the books, after they'd been split up for a while (mainly adding the Excalibur cast of Kitty, Nightcrawler & Colossus back onto the roster). I actually was fairly into this unique little team of evil X-Men (introduced with real names and civilian I.D.s and everything) who would attack the heroes... so of course it would be revealed that they were just nanite-based entities created by a "false" Xavier (actually Cerebro gone insane... which is totally the only time part of the X-Mansion has come to life and tried to kill everyone... yes...), based off of grouped-together mutants from past adventures, and they were absorbed back into it at the end, wiping them out. Kind of a waste, as these guys would've been great recurring foes, essentially replacements to the over-done and tired Marauders, Hellfire Club or Nasty Boys.

-I actually remember hearing some kind of hype about these characters and getting a bit interested, but they were just some one-shot Carlos Pacheco-drawn guys, based off of the traits of pairs of X-characters. They're PL 10 because that's the state in which they first encountered the X-Men- had they been recurring characters, we'd probably see them turn into PL 8-9 Jobbers. Oddly, Chris Bachalo (who'd join Jason Aaron's run on the X-books years later) was the artist on the issue itself, not Pacheco.

-It's also absurd how much this team has annoyed me over the years. The reasoning is stupid as well: it bugs me that every time I searched my archives for "X-Men", they show up first (as "Cerebro X-Men"). Now, why it never occurred to me to simply call them "X-Men (Cerebro Version)" in my archives is beyond me. Similarly, they're annoying because I've MEANT to re-post them for ages- they should have been posted at RA with the other X-groups. Yet I've ALWAYS forgotten to do so, despite having these builds ready for re-posting for ages (it's not like new information has come out about the characters...).
Jeez, I remember these guys, and you pretty much summed up my thoughts on them. What a complete just waste of some semi-interesting character designs and concepts. Just introduced for a one shot and discarded.
It would be easy enough to bring them back, Cerebro could've based them on real mutants or even a team of mutants from another reality that it somehow knew about, yes it's a cheesy idea but we've seen far worse recently.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Goldar

Re: Signor Ferrari

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 pm Image

"Might as well be frank, monsieur. It would take a miracle to get you out of Casablanca, and the Germans have outlawed miracles."

SIGNOR FERRARI
Played By:
Sydney Greenstreet
Role: The Black Market Dealer, The Information Guy
Group Affiliations: The Casablanca Underworld
PL 0 (48)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Current Events) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Streetwise) 8 (+10)
Insight 6 (+9)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+6)

Advantages: 
Benefit (Wealth), Connections, Contacts, Well-Informed

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +5

Complications:
Reputation (BS-er)- Ferrari is a liar and a con-man, and everyone in Casablanca knows it.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (48)

-Signor Ferrari's just a minor character, but with Sydney Greenstreet portraying him, he couldn't help but seem like a huge character. A corrupt, richer club owner in the city, Ferrari's a rival & confidante of Rick's with an ear in every room- totally aware of everything that's going on in Casablanca. He's not in any kind of shape, and is in no way a fighter, but he's good at his own thing, that's for sure. He ends the film as the new owner of Rick's Cafe Americain.
AKA Amahl Farouk!! :lol:
Jabroniville

Cerebro

Post by Jabroniville »

CEREBRO
Created By: Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The X-Men #7 (Sept. 1964)

-Cerebro (Spanish & Portuguese for "brain") is an old-school Plot Device used to explain how Charles Xavier was able to find mutants- using it, he could pinpoint a newly-discovered mutant, thus sending the X-Men to find them. It works as a "Mutant Detector" to most (the X-Men often use "handheld Cerebros" when it's convenient to the plot), while Telepaths can find their powers enhanced to huge levels, allowing them to cover the entire world, and tell mutants apart from regular humans.

-Some quirks: Cerebro can fatally injure an unsuspecting Telepath, who would be unprepared for the huge influx of psychic input. It either detects mutant powers, or the X-Gene within the body- writers have gone with either explanation. Kitty Pryde was the one who upgraded it so that non-Telepaths could use it. Initially, the device was depicted as a weird helmet with a ton of wires sticking out of it- Jim Lee and others drew hyper-complicated wire set-ups in a black room. It took some great direction from Brian Singer in the first X-Men movie to create an "Iconic" Cerebro- keeping the helmet, but sticking it in this gigantic, empty, spherical room, with only a tiny bridge leading to the centre. This questionable design (you could easily fall and injure yourself! They didn't even build a HANDRAIL!) nonetheless fit PERFECTLY the "high technology" aspect of the device, and the comics wisely copied it as quickly as they could.

-This new version of Cerebro is named "Cerebra". Eventually, Forge gives it a robot body, and it leads the X-Men to Limbo during that whole "Terrigen Clouds Circling The Earth Are Fatal To Mutants" thing. It is destroyed in the crossfire of an X-Men/Inhumans fight when Emma Frost leads some Sentinels against the Inhumans. She was later uploaded into a new body.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Danger

Post by Jabroniville »

DANGER
Created By:
Joss Whedon & John Cassaday
First Appearance: The Astonishing X-Men #8 (2004)
Group Affiliations: The X-Men
Role: Sentient Computer GONE MAD, Sarcasto-Bot
PL 12 (295), PL 13 (295) to X-Men
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA -- AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+12)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 8 (+9)
Stealth 5 (+10)
Technology 10 (+15)
Vehicles 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Seize Initiative, Startle

Powers:
"Robotic Body"
Immunity 50 (Fortitude & Mental Effects) [50]
Protection 11 (Extras: Impervious 9) [20]
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [7]
Communication 3 (Technology) [12]

"Holograms" Illusion (Vision & Hearing) 12 (Extras: Area 2) (65) -- [68]
  • AE: "Kill-O-Bot Hands" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (3)
  • AE: Energy Blast 12 (Feats: Split) (25)
  • AE: "Machine Control" Affliction 12 (Tech Skill of Creator; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Progressive +2, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited to Machines) (65)
"Specialty: Killing the X-Men" (All Have Flaws: Limited to Those Who Trained in the Danger Room)
Enhanced Fighting 4 [4]
Enhanced Dodge 4 [2]
Senses 4 (Precognition) [2]
Enhanced Advantages 4: Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 2, Uncanny Dodge [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
vs. X-Men +15 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Kill-O-Hands +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
vs. X-Men +15 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Energy Blasts +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
vs. X-Men +14 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Illusion -- (+12 Illusions, DC 22)
Initiative +9 (+17 vs. X-Men)

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +11 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Life)- Danger has only recently gained sentience, and after some initial attempts to murder the X-Men, she finds herself confused.
Power Loss (Killing Blow)- Danger is incapable of truly killing an X-Man- if given the chance to finish one off, she will not be able to take it.
Responsibility (Warden of Utopia)- Danger was charged with protecting Utopia, and watching over the prisoners within.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 183 / Defenses: 10 (295)

-Whedon added a fair bit to the X-Universe during his run, when you think about it. Sure, Ord died, but he added the Breakworld, a handful of new Mutants (Blindfold, Armor), and Danger here. She is the combined sentience of the Danger Room, and revealed that ever-growing sentiment that maybe Professor Xavier was KIND OF an asshole all along, because it turns out he IGNORED her sentience because "my team needed training", and ignored her appeals to be heard so that the Danger Room would always be there. Gaining more power, she allowed Wing to commit suicide in her environment, and assaulted the entire team with the full breadth of her Hard Light Capabilities (ie. all powers), and experience against the X-Men. EASILY defeating them, she left them all for dead (hilariously, Elixir brought everyone back to fighting form as soon as she left) and fought Professor Xavier himself, who did much better, since "You've never fought ME".

-She was beaten when Kitty Pryde helped her "child", the Wild Sentinel who genocided Genosha, gain full sentience, rendering it comatose and exiled when it realized the totality of what it'd done to Mutant-kind, the X-Men rebuked Xavier for being a dick ("but Scott, it's not that simple" "You're the man who taught me that it was") and then she tried to kill the X-Men AGAIN on The Breakworld... where Emma pointed out that she COULDN'T- she left the X-Men for dead because her programming cannot allow her to deliberately kill someone (granted, impaling Peter & Kitty was pretty close). Eventually, a later writer revealed that Xavier TRIED to help Danger gain sentience, but it was too complicated and he was afraid of killing both her and his X-Men, so he's only a LITTLE guilty for sitting there and letting her suffer. He eventaully fixed her up a bit, and she became an X-Ally, where she's become a minor background character (surprising, given her combat power).

-Danger started out as a Variable Power-having "Hard Light Hologram" user, but eventually stole some alien tech to become a more standard Kill-O-Bot with a sorta-shapeshifting form that really always looks like her, so that part is meaningless beyond looking cool. She's super-strong, super-tough, can Blast or Stab, cast Illusions at PL 12 and also control machinery (she can also give sentience in one particular case, though this may've been an application of the Tech Skill), and is noticeably even BETTER against those X-Men she was created to defeat. She's PL 11 in combat most of the time, but upgrades to PL 13 against X-Men, which was particularly devastating while under New Villain Stink. Even nowadays, she's so good at fighting that they pretty much had to relegate her to the X-Headquarters to keep fights fair.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Capt. Scarlet! The Care Bears! Casablanca! Cerebro!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Seriously, what is it with the X-Men's equpiment trying to kill them? At least the Blackbird hasn't..at least, I don't think so?
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Capt. Scarlet! The Care Bears! Casablanca! Cerebro!)

Post by Ares »

Honestly, I hate the concept of Danger. I hate the idea of the "replacement X-Men" that Xavier sent that resulted in Vulcan and all of his stupidity. I hate it when writers feel the need to take "mentor" figures and make them quasi-evil or incompetent.

It's a trend you see in some comic writers. Geoff Johns made characters like the Guardians of the Universe, Nabu and the Wizard Shazam all semi-levels of incompetent, dickish or evil, while X-Writers have made Professor X into barely better than a villain at times.

I understand the idea is that the heroes have moved beyond needing a mentor figure to go to for answers, or that heroes should be their own authority figures rather than having to answer to someone . . . but this route just seems disrespectful. Futhermore, it negates the idea that people can still be heroic while still answering to a higher authority.

Stuff like Danger pisses me off because the idea is a sound one, someone making the Danger Room into a nigh-unstoppable robot, but you could have simply taken the DATA from the Danger Room and uploaded it into a new Sentinel to achieve the same effect. Charles Xavier was suppose to be the Martin Luther King of the Mutant movement, a lot of his character growth had to deal with learning to let go of his need for control and to relax, and to trust his students to handle themselves.

It's one reason why I prefer the X-Men: Evolution version of Prof. X, it completely avoids this kind of BS while still allowing the character to have some flaws.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.