Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Crimson Curse

Post by Jabroniville »

CRIMSON CURSE (Aerika Harkness)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Brent Anderson
First Appearance: A-Next #4 (1999)
Role: Legacy Hero
PL 8 (110)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Magic) 7 (+10)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Nature Powers) 2 (+8)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Nature Powers), Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Flight Via the Winds" Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]

"Manipulate Nature"
"Waterspouts" Move Object 8 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Water) (16) -- [20]
  • AE: "Wind" Move Object 7 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited to Away, Touch Range) (7)
  • AE: "Wind" Features 2: Snuff Flames, Throw Off Arrows, Other Effects (2)
  • AE: "Roots & Vines" Environment 5 (250 feet) (Impede Movement 2) (10)
  • AE: Fire Blast 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Fire Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Secret (Lots of Stuff)- Crimson Curse doesn't talk about herself much.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 9 (110)

-Crimson Curse is the daughter of Agatha Harkness (!!! Agatha is like a bajillion! Her ADULT SON has greying hair! When the frig did she give birth in THIS case?!?), and is sort of Scarlet Witch-like, having vague magical might. She was level-headed and reserved, skipping a lot of the angst or mystery of characters like this, who are generally treated like potential dangers. She does some background stuff helping out, but sacrifices her life in order to stop an alternate reality's Doctor Doom, sapping her life energy in order to stop his Cosmic Cube.

-Crimson Curse has nature-based powers, working differently from a lot of Mages.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hugo! Abigail! Ed! Kolin! Menat! MC2-Verse!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

I always had a soft spot for A-Next. Not the greatest, but fun.

I did like how Curse up there (dressed) dispersed the evil Wonder Man's ionic form as it was just energy meant to disperse
Jabroniville

Thunderstrike (Kevin)

Post by Jabroniville »

THUNDERSTRIKE II (Kevin Masterson)- MC2 Version
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz
First Appearance: Thor #392 (June 1988)
Role: Legacy Hero, Boring Guy
PL 10 (140)
STRENGTH
2/12 STAMINA 3/12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Art) 3 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Thunderblast) 2 (+9)

Advantages:
Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Absorbed the Powers of Thunderstrike"
Enhanced Strength 10 [20]
Enhanced Stamina 9 [18]
Leaping 6 (500 feet) [6]

"Thunderblast" Blast 10 (20) -- [21]
AE: "Shatter Objects With A Touch" Damage 10 (Extras: Penetrating) (20)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Bullets & Missiles +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (Loki)- Most of Thor's enemies are likely enemies of Kevin as well.
Relationship (Eric Masterson- Father)- Eric died many years earlier- Kevin still misses his father desperately.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 65 / Defenses: 8 (140)

-In the late '90s, Kevin Masterson was the young son of Eric Masterson, who by this point was the deceased former Thor & Thunderstrike. DeFalco & Frenz, Eric & Kevin's creators, helped out the character in the MC2 'verse, turning him into the new Thunderstrike. Unfortunately, in so doing, they made Kevin the most common-sense-having, stoic, rational guy around, with the world's simplest superhero costume. In short, he was the most boring character in the universe. Kevin is a pretty solid powerhouse, but leaves the team near the end, in order to spend time in an alternate universe where his father was still alive. In a final summation of the MC2-verse in the 2000s, Kevin returns to the team, helping turn the tables against the villains. The mainstream Kevin has subsequently become the second Thunderstrike also, but in a more "Billy Batson" context.
Jabroniville

American Dream

Post by Jabroniville »

Okay that last one's not canon :).

AMERICAN DREAM (Shannon Carter)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Brent Anderson
First Appearance: A-Next #1 (1999)
Role: Legacy Character
PL 9 (135)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+11)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Close Combat (Shield Bash) 2 (+12)
Deception 2 (+5)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Shield Toss) 5 (+12)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment (Gear, Scale Mail), Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Shield Attacks), Improved Defense, Interpose, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown 2, Teamwork

Powers:
"The Super-Soldier Serum- Absolute Peak Human"
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Immunity 2 (Poison, Disease) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]
Regeneration 2 [2]

"Captain America's Mighty Shield" (Feats: Restricted to Those Trained, Indestructible) (Flaws: Easily Removable) [14]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Evasion (Total 2), Withstand Damage (2)
"Shield Toss" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Dynamic, Ricochet 5, Split 2) (Extras: Ranged 6) (Diminished Range -1) (15) -- (18)
  • Dynamic AE: "Shield Bash" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Penetrating 3) (7)
  • Dynamic AE: "Bouncing Shield" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable 6, Selective 6) (15)
  • Dynamic AE: Enhanced Dodge 2 & Parry 2 (Extras: Sustained +0) Linked to Enhanced Strength 5 (Flaws: Limited to Resisting Movement) (9)
-- (20 points)

Equipment:
Assorted Gear (3)
"Scale Mail Costume" Protection 2 (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Shield Bash +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Shield Toss +12 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Area Toss +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
"Without Shield" Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 Costume), Fortitude +6, Will +7
"With Shield" Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4 (+6 Costume), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Power Loss (Shield)- If Shannon misses badly with her Shield (natural 1-5), she will be unable to use it's attacks or defenses until she runs up and grabs it. Similarly, if an enemy catches it, the same applies.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 10 (135)

-Shannon Carter appeared briefly in the first A-Next issue, working at Avengers Mansion, but suddenly showed up in costume in the fourth issue, being announced as their new teammate. She's the neice of Sharon Carter, but takes after Captain America (one of MANY blonde women in that kind of costume, actually- Stargirl & Shooting Star have similar looks). Initially wielding a small disc (like Red Guardian II), she ends up with the shield of an alternate universe Cap. Appearing off and on in the MC2-verse, she also appeared as one of the Cross-Time Caps in a more recent story, helping out Steve, Bucky-Cap, U.S. Agent and Commander A of the 25th Century.

-American Dream is basically Cap Lite, lacking the Super-Soldier Serum and much of the dominating personality, but still being a pretty good heroine. PL 9 (135), and quite well-balance so long as she's using the Shield right.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arkrite

Re: American Dream

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:16 am Okay that last one's not canon :).
... I think they'd have done better if it had ;~)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 am
I just find it funny that the artist CLEARLY knows how fabric works (those pants, while tight, still have folds in the material), yet colored it in like she just painted her naked torso with shiny paint. No folds or creases, and total Boob-Sockage :)
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:54 am
Arkrite wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 am
I just find it funny that the artist CLEARLY knows how fabric works (those pants, while tight, still have folds in the material), yet colored it in like she just painted her naked torso with shiny paint. No folds or creases, and total Boob-Sockage :)
Bodypaint is a thing, so...
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, but then there'd be a nipple visible on at least the far breast. Of course, the guy was probably aiming for PG-rated over R :).
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:40 am Yeah, but then there'd be a nipple visible on at least the far breast. Of course, the guy was probably aiming for PG-rated over R :).
The nipple should be visible either way with something that tight, regardless of if it's fabric or bodypaint.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I could never really 'accept' American Dream for a very petty reason, she's a teenage girl (albeit a highly athletic one) and yet she's somehow able to throw that shield around like Cap does, I just couldn't see how that was possible. It's also one of the reasons I preferred Bucky Barnes taking the Captain America identity over Sam Wilson, aside from the history he at least had a bionic arm that gave him the strength to throw the shield.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

M4C8 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:35 pm I could never really 'accept' American Dream for a very petty reason, she's a teenage girl (albeit a highly athletic one) and yet she's somehow able to throw that shield around like Cap does, I just couldn't see how that was possible. It's also one of the reasons I preferred Bucky Barnes taking the Captain America identity over Sam Wilson, aside from the history he at least had a bionic arm that gave him the strength to throw the shield.
Actual real world medieval weapons and armour weren't all that heavy, and Captain America's shield based on its size wouldn't be more than 6-7 pounds all-in-all, even assuming it was pure steel, and it's not. It weighs only a third as much as steel according to at least one source, and thus wouldn't be much more than a couple of pounds. Coupled with the fact that it reacts weirdly to kinetic energy, and the fact that before receiving the shield she was already active as a superhero and used a set of smaller throwing disks which showed that she had at least some experience with throwing weapons, and it honestly doesn't seem all that odd to me.

The disc used in the olympic discus-throw is much less aerodynamic and twice as heavy as that, but various women have thrown that thing over 250 feet in the past.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:13 pm
M4C8 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:35 pm I could never really 'accept' American Dream for a very petty reason, she's a teenage girl (albeit a highly athletic one) and yet she's somehow able to throw that shield around like Cap does, I just couldn't see how that was possible. It's also one of the reasons I preferred Bucky Barnes taking the Captain America identity over Sam Wilson, aside from the history he at least had a bionic arm that gave him the strength to throw the shield.
Actual real world medieval weapons and armour weren't all that heavy, and Captain America's shield based on its size wouldn't be more than 6-7 pounds all-in-all, even assuming it was pure steel, and it's not. It weighs only a third as much as steel according to at least one source, and thus wouldn't be much more than a couple of pounds. Coupled with the fact that it reacts weirdly to kinetic energy, and the fact that before receiving the shield she was already active as a superhero and used a set of smaller throwing disks which showed that she had at least some experience with throwing weapons, and it honestly doesn't seem all that odd to me.

The disc used in the olympic discus-throw is much less aerodynamic and twice as heavy as that, but various women have thrown that thing over 250 feet in the past.
As far as I know the 6-8 pounds (3-4 kg) range is common for wooden round shields which are a good frame of reference for Cap's manhole cover in terms of size and shape.
Given that those shields were made of European Lime wood, which has a density of 535 kg/m^3. Steel has a density around 7850 kg/m^3, meaning that it's about 8.5 times heavier than wood (which is why there were no actual full metal shields in medieval Europe). Even if the steel-vibranium combo in one third of steel in weight that equates to 2.8 times the weight or between 8.5 and 11.3 kg (19-25 pounds), which is pretty enourmous to carry around attached to your arm.

And this is why I tend to give physics and history a break when I read comics ;)
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

The metal shield can get away with being a lot thinner than a wooden shield though, so I figured it balanced out.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:13 pm

That's why I said it was petty, while I know she technically could use the shield, in my mind it would take someone with enhanced strength at least equal to Cap's to use it as effectively as he does, especially when used as a throwing weapon.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:01 pm The metal shield can get away with being a lot thinner than a wooden shield though, so I figured it balanced out.
Thin metal has the tendency to bend, which is kind of problematic, especially if it's spread over a large surface. A viking era shield was between 6 and 12 mm thick (that's about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch) averaging around 8 mm. That's an extremely small amount of material and a metal sheet of similar size and thickness would already be at the risk of bending after a single blow.
In general the problem is that metal and wood have very different mechanical responses depending on the size and shape of the object. Wood is much stiffer in thinner sheet (compare a piece of extra thin balsa wood with an extra thin sheet of steel, for example), which makes for a lighter protection. On the other hand metal is generally tougher to break and much easier to shape, which is why it was prefered for armors (BTW, wooden armor existed in some cultures, but they were never widespread).

BTW, sorry Jab for highjacking you thread.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)