Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Horsenhero

Re: Jab's Builds! (Crazy 8! Deathstroke! Mangler! The Ringer!)

Post by Horsenhero »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:29 pm Have the Chi'tauri (the aliens that appeared in the first Avengers movie) ever appeared in a comic book? I'm not actually sure, myself.
Yeah, they were in The Ultimates originally. Since they were playing coy with Thor in the beginning, obviously Loki couldn't be the catalyst for the formation of the Ultimates, so when the story was written...space aliens.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Should be noted that they also showed up as Shapeshifing aliens in the Ulitmates Animated version as the antagonists for both movies.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Thorbuilds

Post by Jabroniville »

"How do you make someone stronger than the strongest person? It finally came to me: Don't make him human — make him a god. I decided readers were already pretty familiar with the Greek and Roman gods. It might be fun to delve into the old Norse legends... Besides, I pictured Norse gods looking like Vikings of old, with the flowing beards, horned helmets, and battle clubs.  ...Journey into Mystery needed a shot in the arm, so I picked Thor ... to headline the book. After writing an outline depicting the story and the characters I had in mind, I asked my brother, Larry, to write the script because I didn't have time. ...and it was only natural for me to assign the penciling to Jack Kirby...
-Stan Lee

"I did a version of Thor for D.C. in the fifties before I did him for Marvel. I created Thor at Marvel because I was forever enamored of legends, which is why I knew about Balder, Heimdall, and Odin. I tried to update Thor and put him into a superhero costume, but he was still Thor." (...) I knew the Thor legends very well, but I wanted to modernize them. I felt that might be a new thing for comics, taking the old legends and modernizing them."
-Jack Kirby

THOR:
Why I Don't Like Thor:
-Frickin' Thor. Basically created to be Marvel's answer to Superman (some historical reports have said as much, others play coy), but with a mythological, magical bent, Thor's been all over the place, but has consistently been well-portrayed. That's thanks to the loving hands of several creators- Jack Kirby considered this a favourite, and then there's Walt Simonson and the last creative teams in recent years as well- Thor draws as many A-list creative teams as Wonder Woman (but sells better). He's had more luck with them than nearly every other hero I can think of, too. And he's almost always linked to the Avengers (hell, his big villain brought the team together!). For some reason, though, I never much cared for him. Part of it's just the excess of POWER he's got (I always liked the more mid-range heroes), and the often-vague descriptions of just what he could do. Also, I never collected books featuring Thor when I was younger- I wasn't half as familiar with any Thor stuff as I am with other heroes whose books I'd never read. And when I got into comics, ERIC MASTERSON was Thor, not the original guy- so "My Thor" was always someone else. Plus, I always liked Greek stuff better, so I'm biased.

-Reading his books nowadays still leave me a bit cold- I can't really get into a guy who can literally do anything to win a fight. It's boring to read ("Oh hey, I can just use the Odinforce to kill my enemy. Too bad I didn't do that last time I had a struggle" or "Oh well- time to use my hammer to teleport an army of guys into another dimension, because that's a thing I can do casually, even though Norse Gods had to use the Rainbow Bridge to reach Asgard in the myths"), a cheap way out from writing yourself into a corner, and more. Anyone who can whip out Time Travel, the God Force, or about five different kinds of "Force" as a Limit-Break just bores me. He's one of the few Avengers who can straight-up wreck a story because he can take most of the villains by himself, actively ruining the conflict because he's just so over-the-top. I've read more than one Avengers tale that was more or less "the team struggles against a foe, but of course Thor can whup on them".

-Not to mention the "Thorbags"- the fans of Thor who populate various forums and care ONLY about "good showings" and Thor winning every damn fight like it's the only thing in the world that's important. I mean, what are we? Twelve? WHO CARES how powerful he's shown, or if he jobs to a new big villain or something (particularly if he gets the win back)? As long as the new characters aren't annoying Mary Sues (say, Red Hulk) who ONLY exist to beat everyone else, I don't see how it should matter. But there are fans who literally only care about wins and losses.

Thor in the 1960s:
-The recognizable "Thor" character debuted in a 13-page story in Journey Into Mystery #83 (Aug. 1962), written by Stan Lee & Larry Lieber (Stan's unsung brother), and drawn by Jack Kirby. A preceding Thor had appeared in Venus in the early 1950s, but is basically out of continuity. The book featured a doctor named Donald Blake being crippled in an accident, and transforming himself into the mighty Norse God (here reimagined as a blond-haired, caped powerhouse who speaks in Shakespearean dialect for no apparent reason other than it sounds "old-school") in order to beat up some Rock Aliens. The book sold well, and this eventually set Lee & Kirby off on a run that would last for six straight years. Journey Into Myster would eventually take the name Thor.

-The character would prove popular enough that he would join the new "Avengers" team the year after his debut- his evil stepbrother Loki resulting in Marvel's biggest solo stars coming together. That book was popular as well, but not as much as Lee/Kirby's TRUE opus- The Fantastic Four. Thor would leave the book in a hurry, but would eventually become so iconic to it that he would be forever included in the "Big Three" that each Avengers writer tried to include in the series.

-A specialty of Kirby's was creating bizarre worlds filled with crazy-looking characters- generic villains like Cobra, Mr. Hyde & Grey Gargoyle soon gave way to Ego, a living PLANET. As Thor wasn't restricted to Earth (or "Midgard", as the Asgardians called it), he could go anywhere, and do whatever bombastic stuff he wanted. The book was popular, but largely self-contained- like the Hulk, Thor tended to operate in his own little world, so that other heroes rarely fought "Thor Guys"- characters like The Warriors Three, Heimdall and others usually operated in their own little world, while guys Iron Man or Daredevil fought could be "shared" with others. Eventually, the "Donald Blake" personality would be done away with, as would the boring love interest, Jane Foster, in favor of Asgardian adventures- Blake's persona would be revealed as a trick played on Thor by Odin as punishment.

Thor in the 1970s:
-When Jack quit Marvel in 1970, the book too a turn- Kirby was more influential here than he was in many other books, and it kind of "needed" him. John Buscema replaced him as the regular penciler, and Stan soon left as well, with a series of other writers (Gerry Conway, Len Wein, Roy Thomas) writing thereafter. The book did well enough to survive (I haven't read anything regarding its quality, but considering the books that DIDN'T survive that decade, it must have been decent), but it's largely 100% forgotten because...

Thor in the 1980s (aka Walt Simonson takes over):
-Walt Simonson took over the book in Nov. 1983, and Thor's world changed forever. Marvel: The Untold Story and other sources corroborate that Simonson's first issue was an immediate smash hit, and altered the course of the series thereafter. It was HUGE. As both writer and artist, Walt solo'd a tale that revamped numerous characters, introduced many others (Beta Ray Bill being quite notable), and culminated in the most famous stories of several guys (featuring Jormungand, Odin, Surtur, Loki, and the ultimate death scene in comics history). Generally speaking... as good as Kirby's Thor was, there is only one "Real Daddy" here, and his name is Walt Simonson.

-Walt's run was only about three or four years long, and he left feeling that it was due for a change in direction, and he wanted to reduce his workload. Tom DeFalco, the Editor-In-Chief of Marvel, took over the book and ran it for the next several years, doing his patented "Neither great nor really bad" comic book writing style. This sounds vaguely insulting, but given what the '90s looked like for comics, Tom seemed to be a solid "Steady the Course" kind of guy.

-A couple years ago, I FINALLY got into the Simonson Thor run, and was very impressed- the art is a bit dated and scratchy by today's standards, but there's a real energy to it, and the characterization is FANTASTIC. What amazed me the most was how characters I have hated in other books come across well. Odin, in most Marvel Comics, is this Chaotic Dickhead-aligned old bastard who does things just because he's an asshole and that's that- Simonson's Odin is clever, crafty and wise, and never does things just to be a cock to his son. There's a GREAT bit where he convinces some Asgardian children to guard his wife Frigga upon Surtur's invasion of the realm- they complain at first, because he's obviously just putting them out of harm's way, but Odin is able to make it seem like a GREAT idea, because he himself fears that his wife won't leave his side unless she thinks that SHE is guarding the CHILDREN, and so he needs to send the kids away to ensure her protection. A great bit.

-And then the OTHER characters! Loki is crafty and conniving sure, but he's also FUNNY. Bad things happen to him, almost to a comical level. The Enchantress is a mopey, nasty figure. Lorelei is actually entertaining as a less mature, bratty Enchantress. Sif is cool. Beta Ray Bill of course seems awesome. The Executioner gets a massive 100% character turnaround, and a death so epic that resurrecting him is just out of the question. Even side-Asgardians like The Warriors Three and Heimdall are great. But THOR? Thor is... just the same damn boring nothing he's always been. It's astounding that three or four trades' worth of collected stories can make the ENTIRE Asgardian Pantheon seem amazing, yet Thor himself still remains an undynamic bore. And the OTHER most-noble Asgardian, Balder, is the only OTHER one who's also utterly-dull, too!

Thor in the 1990s:
-Thor had a less-rough decade than many others in that much-decried era. He was missing for much of the run, as when I got into comics in the early '90s, Thor had been replaced by a mortal named Eric Masterson. Masterson was a rare bearded hero, and sported a bitching mask, and did the "Rookie Hero" thing for a while. Under DeFalco's writing, Masterson would keep some powers after Thor returned, becoming Thunderstrike, one of many "Spin-Off Heroes" in that decade (joining U.S. Agent and War Machine, two guys who preceded Eric in "filling in" for the main hero for months, before giving the title back). During a big chunk of time, Thor was drawn by Mike Deodato Jr., doing a very '90s-style, Fanservice-heavy book that featured the Enchantress as the hero's love interest.

-Thor was ultimately killed with most of Marvel's non-mutant heroes in the Onslaught story, returning for Heroes Reborn- his book was relaunched in 1998.

Thor Post-2000:
-A ton of big-name creative teams have been on Thor in the past couple decades. He also got to be on Kurt Busiek's wildly-popular Avengers revamp, curing a lot of the ills of the '90s, and becoming a fun part of the book as the team's mightiest member in a way that didn't overshadow the others. Matt Fraction had a run, but his tale Fear Itself was met only with yawns, leading to him getting publicly annoyed, and most of his story being glossed over very quickly. He discovered a half-sister (Angela, formerly of Image Comics), faced Odin's evil brother, and more. 2014 saw the character become "unworthy" and thus replaced by the forgotten Jane Foster in Jason Aaron's run- Aaron had been successful on Wolverine and the X-Men and Scalped, so was given a run with the character. We'll see where this controversial run ends up, though sales were good for quite some time.

-I think some of the only Thor appearances that I enjoy involve him being a rarely-speaking giant dumb weapon, almost as if nobody's actually PLAYING him in a game, but that Thor himself is a Power of the other Avengers- sorta like Captain Planet. In many Hickman & Remender Avengers issues, he just kind of grunts along and then does something awesome, like pretending to give up, only to tear his hammer through an Alien Super-Robot or something like that. Thor, it seems, kicks ass the more silent he is.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Crazy Eight

Post by Davies »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:53 pm although rethinking it since it's been a while since I read it, I think the wife may have killed him and CE just took the fall for her
That's how I remember it too.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

ASGARD:
-Asgard is basically a Land of Super-Awesome Kirby Guys, as everyone wears elaborate, multi-colored outfits with lots of fun headgear. The original Origin Myth of Asgard was that Muspelheim, the land of fire, and Niflheim, the land of ice, met each other and created the steam that founded the world. Ymir, father of the Giant race (Jotuns), sprang forth, and his cow licked some ice that revealed Buri, the first Asgardian. Buri's son Borr married the giantess Bestla (NICE), whose three children were Odin, Vili & Ve. 

The three brothers eventually slew Ymir, and forged the world from his corpse- his blood became a great sea, his body the land, his hair the trees, and his bones the mountains. His skull formed the Heavens. Vili & Ve disappear fighting Surtur, ruler of Muspelheim and ruler of the Fire Demons, leaving Odin to rule all of Asgard. Millennia later, we reach modern times, with the greater mythology revealing itself as Stan Lee & Jack Kirby work on the Journey Into Mystery title, Jack putting the most of his costume-designing efforts on that book. Eventually, a rudimentary basis set in Norse Myth appears, though so much has changed as to be something totally unique.

Eventually, true Ragnarok occurs, and the Gods die. Thor rebuilds Asgard in Oklahoma, and gathers the Asgardians, reborn into mortal form. However, soon Asgard is destroyed in the weak Siege story, and Odin returns to the throne. Odin eventually leaves Asgard in the care of the Vanir (specifically, a triumvirate of female Goddesses- Freyga, Gaea & Idunn) after Thor & Cul (Odin's... long-lost brother?) kill each other in Fear Itself. Asgard is rebuilt in Oklahoma once more.

The Nine Realms:
Alfheim- Home of the Light Elves. Who never show up.
Asgard- The planetoid that features all of the heroes.
Hel- The land of those who died outside of battle, neither honored nor dishonored. Ruled by Hela.
Jotunheim- Land of the Frost Giants.
Muspelheim- Home of Demons- ruled by Surtur.
Nidavellir- Home of the Dwarves who make all of the weapons. It's actually just part of the Asgardian planetoid in the comics.
Svartalheim- Home of the Dark Elves- it shows up semi-frequently with some second-tier Asgardian villains.
Vanaheim- Home of the Vanir- a sister race to the Asgardians. Also part of the Asgardian planetoid, it was the home of Frigga, Odin's bride.

Other Worlds:
Niffleheim- Realm of the dishonored dead. Hela also rules here.
Valhalla- The famous realm of honored heroes. In myth, men who died at war lived here, in an eternal party.
Nornheim- Part of Asgard; ruled by Karnilla the Norn Queen.
Heven- Land of Angels; cut off by Odin long ago, and discovered in Original Sin... not one of Marvel's more popular story-arcs.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Asgard gets rebuilt in Oklahoma?? Were the writers at Marvel on crack or something? I mean, the Norse were a seafaring people. Why rebuild your home somewhere there's no access to the sea? On a scale of 1 to 10 ranking "least to most stupid decisions in comic writing", that scores at least an 8.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Horsenhero wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:38 am Asgard gets rebuilt in Oklahoma?? Were the writers at Marvel on crack or something? I mean, the Norse were a seafaring people. Why rebuild your home somewhere there's no access to the sea? On a scale of 1 to 10 ranking "least to most stupid decisions in comic writing", that scores at least an 8.
J. Michael Straczynski was not having a particularly good period for his writing plans, and I'd argue still isn't. Between 'darker and edgier take on a comic that was already a darker and edgier take' and 'the worst possible comic ever' and 'reboot Wonder Woman entirely' and 'Superman goes pointlessly walking across America with questionable liberal politics', this almost seems quaint.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Funny thing is, Asgard is STILL in Oklahoma. It was already established there by 2008's Secret Invasion. Like... that's a long time ago by comic book standards! Nine+ years is an ETERNITY for a shake-up in the "status-quo".
Jabroniville

Thor

Post by Jabroniville »

THOR, GOD OF THUNDER (Thor Odinson, Dr. Donald Blake)
Created By:
Stan Lee, Larry Lieber & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey Into Mystery #83 (Aug. 1962)
Role: God, Epic Hero, Supermanalogue (kinda), Power-Cap Definer, Flying Brick
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Asgardian Pantheon, The Thor Corps., The God Squad
Avengers Grade: A-Level
PL 14 (262)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Close Combat (Hammer) 1 (+10)
Expertise (Aesir) 8 (+10)
Expertise (History) 2 (+4)
Insight 6 (+9)
Intimidation 11 (+15)
Perception 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Hammer) 4 (+12)
Ranged Combat (Lightning) 4 (+12)
Treatment 7 (+9)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Benefit (Status- God), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hammer) 4, Improved Smash, Interpose, Last Stand (Ignores Damage for 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Startle, Takedown 2, Ultimate Effort (Strength), Withstand Damage (Trade Defense for Toughness)

Powers:
"Immortal Aesir"
Power Lifting 5 (50,000 tons) [5]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 13) [14]
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]

"Mjolnir" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Indestructible, Restricted 2- Those Worthy) [53]
"Weather Control" Environment 6 (1,000 feet) (Impede Movement, Visibility) (12)
Movement 1 (Space Travel) (2)
Flight 1 (4 mph) (2)

"Lightning Bolt/Hammer Line" Damage 14 (Extras: Area-Line 120ft. +3) (56) -- (66)
  • AE: "Lightning" Blast 14 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Indirect- From Above, Penetrating 6) (37)
  • AE: "Hammer Smash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (8)
  • AE: "Hammer Throw" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Ranged 17) (24)
  • AE: "Hammer Spin" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +18/+1/2) (29)
  • AE: "Obscure Visuals" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extars: Attack, Area- 30ft. Burst) (8)
  • AE: "Air Control" Move Object 16 (Flaws: Concentration) (16)
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 13 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (17)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Movement 3) (Extras: Portal +2) (12)
  • AE: Deflect 12 (12)
  • AE: Flight 11 (8,000 mph) (24)
-- (82 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Hammer Smash +10 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Hammer Throw +12 (+17 Ranged Damage, DC 32)
Lightning Bolt +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Lightning +12 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +15 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +15, Will +13

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- If removed from Mjolnir for more than one minute, Thor will transform back into human form (if he has one). This sometimes vanishes as a limitation based on the era.
Responsibility (Honour)- Thor is not one to lie nor cheat.
Enemy (Loki, Ulik, Jormungandr, Hela)
Rivalry (The Incredible Hulk)- As two of the strongest beings alive, they naturally dislike each other and come to blows.
Rivalry (Hercules)- The Son of Zeus is Thor's greatest heroic rival, though they often see eye-to-eye as well. Hercules bristles against the greater fame of Herc.
Responsibility (Asgard, Odin)- Thor must do his father's bidding, or that of Odin's replacements. This can be bad, because Odin is a royal (literally) dick.

Total: Abilities: 100 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 30 / Powers: 87 / Defenses: 21 (262)

Thor in Mythology: Thor in the myths is a simple-minded, red-haired buffoon- aggressive, stupid and easily-angered. That said, his might is legendary- his attempts to strike an illusory Jotun resulted in three massive valleys in Northern Europe, his strength was such that he could nearly lift the Midgard Serpent (disguised as a cat), and he was temporarily able to grapple with Old Age itself. Thor was often paired up with Loki in "travelling tales" that explained certain aspects of the world, but while Loki was clever, Thor was simplistic. Marvel's version adds Flight, intelligence, blonde hair, nobility, thoughtfulness and more- it's essentially an entirely different character.

-I thought long and hard (huh-huh, I said...) about where to place Thor on the PL scale- he's EXTREMELY strong and tough compared to most Marvel heroes, and he's not a bad fighter either. I like lower PLs in general, but THIS guy? Thor is a PL 14 in my book, and that's a pretty big shift- I used to put EVERYONE within a PL 12 boundary if I could help it. But even then I admitted that Thor was actually higher-level- I just wanted him to fit more playability-wise with his team. Now? It's 3rd edition so I don't have to care so much. And since Thing & She-Hulk types are +13 damage unarmed, it only makes sense that Thor is a few notches higher (+16 normally, and Mjolnir knocks him up even higher- there's no easy way to fit that into PL 12 without making him very, very inaccurate. Thor is quite a good fighter as well, but uses Accurate Attack to improve his attack bonus rather than have a big number, as +11 seems more than good enough. He's SUPPOSED to be a godlike, super-experienced fighter, but I have never IN MY ENTIRE LIFE seen him use elite fighting tactics beyond "hit and then hit harder". He probably COULD dodge and weave, but usually is just a straight-on fighter, and I'd put him at a level with good fighters, but not elites (guys like Spidey, Kingpin & Black Knight are more accurate in general).

-At PL 14, Thor is a ways above even Iron Man (2 PLs basically make it REALLY unlikely Iron Man would ever win in a fair fight, which is as it should be), and well above most Marvel villains. His Silver Age self was more PL 11-12, and so guys like Mister Hyde (PL 10) and The Wrecker (PL 11) were more dangerous enemies. Nowadays, Thor makes mincemeat out of most guys on that level. Mjolnir costs a pretty penny, for good reason. It's a powerful Strike, has Area Effects (a Burst for his "whirl it around me" trick, with a half-price +0.5 Extra, a Line, and, a ranged Blast (Lightning), a weather controller (outside the Blast Array, so he can do them simultaneously), AND it can throw him across dimensions. The Belt of Strength is an occasional Boost to Strength that renders him supremely tired once he takes it off, and goes unstatted since it's a rare deal (probably boosts him by 2-4 ranks in Strength & Toughness). Thor's Hammer is basically a Dr. Strange-level plot device, and he can spend a Hero Point to travel through time (an ability he later "gave up"), use the God Force, etc., to beat the new Big Bad.

-Note Thor's defenses, which place him as a "mere" PL 12/12.5. That's deliberate, as most Super-Heavyweights lack defensive capability, usually just eating whatever attacks come their way. I can't possibly justify a Thor with more than +11 to Parry, and certainly +10 to Dodge is enough- he's never struck me as particularly light on his feet, and he's never seemed as durable as he is strong or damage-heavy. After all, it's virtually his stock in trade to pull out the Last Stand Advantage (ignore all accumulated damage for a turn) or eat something with Withstand Damage. Getting out of the way is for sissies, and Thor is a MAN'S MAN, dammit!

ImageImage

THOR, GOD OF THUNDER (Thor Odinson, Dr. Donald Blake)- Bronze Age
Created By:
Stan Lee, Larry Lieber & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey Into Mystery #83 (Aug. 1962)
Role: God, Epic Hero, Supermanalogue (kinda), Power-Cap Definer, Flying Brick
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Asgardian Pantheon, The Thor Corps., The God Squad
Avengers Grade: A-Level
PL 13 (244)
STRENGTH
15 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Expertise (Aesir) 8 (+10)
Expertise (History) 2 (+4)
Insight 6 (+9)
Intimidation 10 (+14)
Perception 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Hammer) 4 (+10)
Ranged Combat (Lightning) 4 (+10)
Treatment 7 (+9)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Benefit (Status- God), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hammer) 2, Interpose, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Takedown 2, Ultimate Effort (Strength), Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Immortal Aesir"
Power Lifting 5 (50,000 tons) [5]
Impervious Toughness 11 [11]
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]

"Mjolnir" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Indestructible, Restricted 2- Those Worthy) [49]
"Weather Control" Environment 6 (1,000 feet) (Impede Movement, Visibility) (12)
Movement 1 (Space Travel) (2)
Flight 1 (4 mph) (2)

"Lightning Bolt/Hammer Line" Damage 13 (Extras: Area-Line 120ft. +3) (51) -- (60)
  • AE: "Lightning" Blast 14 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Indirect- From Above, Penetrating 6) (37)
  • AE: "Hammer Smash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (8)
  • AE: "Hammer Throw" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Penetrating 6) Extras: Ranged 16) (23)
  • AE: "Hammer Spin" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +16/+1/2) (29)
  • AE: "Air Control" Move Object 16 (Flaws: Concentration) (16)
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 13 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (17)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Movement 3) (Extras: Portal +2) (12)
  • AE: Deflect 12 (12)
  • AE: Flight 11 (8,000 mph) (22)
-- (76 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Hammer Smash +9 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Hammer Throw +10 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 31)
Lightning Bolt +13 Area (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Lightning +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +13 (+14 Belt, +6 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +12

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- If removed from Mjolnir for more than one minute, Thor will transform back into human form (if he has one).
Responsibility (Honour)- Thor is not one to lie nor cheat.
Enemy (Loki, Ulik)
Rivalry (The Incredible Hulk)- As two of the strongest beings alive, they naturally dislike each other and come to blows.
Responsibility (Asgard, Odin)- Thor must do his father's bidding, or that of Odin's replacements. This can be bad, because Odin is a royal (literally) dick.

Total: Abilities: 98 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 76 / Defenses: 19 (244)

-Here's a weaker, PL 13 Thor, that fits a lot of '80s & '90s adventures before Thor got REALLY elite. It can also fit if you want him closer to the rest of the team. Y'know, I actually think I like this version more, as he's not quite as excessively powerful, but he doesn't really match modern Thor as much. Even in this "lesser" form, Thor is a bit beyond Iron Man, and a league ahead of Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, The Thing or other PL 11 superstars. I think this kinda fits the Walt Simonson classic Thor run of the '80s quite well, since Thor was elite, but was still regularly challenged by people.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:53 am Funny thing is, Asgard is STILL in Oklahoma. It was already established there by 2008's Secret Invasion. Like... that's a long time ago by comic book standards! Nine+ years is an ETERNITY for a shake-up in the "status-quo".
I think that because it's just the location of a magical city and doesn't make much difference to actual narrative beyond 'oh, it's in Oklahoma for some reason now', it's not really something that they've had much genuine reason to change. It doesn't really have much serious lasting effect on the setting or its characters, and thus it's just kinda... there.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So here's the overall list of guys I'll be statting up and posting here. I was surprised when I laid them out just how many names there were- what I thought would be about 2 weeks will take closer to three... though really, I'm pretty sure that's how long I usually took on things like my "Cap" series, my "Iron Man" one, etc. So another of Marvel's big names would realistically take some doing as well.

This set is part of a greater series I've been planning in doing for about a year, but kept putting off for various reasons (largely because I'd get hyped on something else). Having compiled "The List" (Sorry, Spectrum! It was easier to organize all the characters alphabetically than by book!), I eventually added the guys whose builds still remained on the Atomic Think Tank- this left huge chunks of names from both Thor's book, and various Greek-themed stuff. Eventually, I took those names out from the various letters (The "A" section was STUFFED with Greek names- Athena, Ares, Apollo, etc.) and decided to make it a separate project. Then "The Incident" happened and delayed some things, then I got other plans, etc., until FINALLY I decided to sit down and do it.

So we'll be seeing the "Thor" guys up first, followed by The Olympians, then some assorted other Pantheons who've appeared. A handful of these builds will be all-new, like Jane Foster (note: she will be posted around Oct. 15th. Please leave all arguments for or against until then- I'm BEGGING you :)!) and some background Gods like Idunn & Thialfi, while others will be re-posts. I'll also include "________ in Mythology" notes for the characters from Norse myth, and do my standard thing where I re-do my original rants about the characters. Some, like Sif or the Warriors Three, had almost NOTHING written about them in my original 2012-ish builds of the characters!

The To-Build List:
Thor
Thunderstrike
Thunderstrike II
Gruenhilda
Valkyrie
Dargo Ktor
Red Norvell
Beta-Ray Bill
Jane Foster
Jake Olson
Susan Lynde
Magni

Gods:
Odin
Frigga
Asgardians
Angela
Kelda
Karnilla
Balder
Bor
Fafnir
Sif
The Warriors Three
Idunn
Surtur
Vidar
Hoder
Frey
Heimdall
Desak
The Dark Gods
Mimir
Those Who Sit Above in Shadow
Sigyn
Tyr
Thialfi
The Dark Man
Angela

Villains:
Ulik
Loki
Mangog
Laufey
Utgard-Loki
Zarrko the Tomorrow Man
The Enchantress
Cul- The Serpent
The Executioner
The Thermal Man
The Absorbing Man
Lorelei
Mr. Hyde
Bloodaxe
Shatterfist
Megatak
Mercurio
Mongoose
Quicksand
The Destroyer
Garm
The Fenris Wolf
Jormungand
Hela
Gorr the God-Butcher

New Builds:
Dargo Ktor, Red Norvell, Jake Olson, Susan Lynde, Magni, Thialfi, Asgardian Template, Kelda, Bor, Sigyn, Desak & The Dark Gods, Those Who Sit Above in Shadow, Frey, Hoder, Tyr, Laufey, Cul, The Thermal Man, Gorr, Angela
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

It's also worth throwing Sera on that list given how fundamentally important she is as a supporting character in Angela's books.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:20 am It's also worth throwing Sera on that list given how fundamentally important she is as a supporting character in Angela's books.
Angela's near the end- I'll have to take a look at her bio. The only stuff I've seen of her was in Bendis's Guardians of the Galaxy, where she does almost nothing.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:24 am
Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:20 am It's also worth throwing Sera on that list given how fundamentally important she is as a supporting character in Angela's books.
Angela's near the end- I'll have to take a look at her bio. The only stuff I've seen of her was in Bendis's Guardians of the Galaxy, where she does almost nothing.
The entirety of Angela: Queen of Hel was focused on the relationship between Angela and Sera and was actually really good. Brian Michael Bendis is not good at characters who he isn't properly interested in, and is not so good at giving focus to queer characters.
Jabroniville

Asgardians

Post by Jabroniville »

ASGARDIAN TEMPLATE
PL 7 (53)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (God) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 1 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment (Weapons +2), Great Endurance

Powers:
Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Weapons +5 (+8 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Asgard)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 6 (53)

-This build represents common, baseline Asgardians. PL 5.5 defensively, but packing PL 6.5 offensive capabilities with their weapons. 9 times out of 10, these guys are seen as "rank & file" in Odin's court, have no effect on the overall plot other than warm bodies for villains to kill, and more. But several stories establish the danger in facing them- they can mow down invaders like nobody's business.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.