The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Cyber-Samurai, Lady of the Eternal Winter)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Sixgill! Bruticaa! War Pangolin! The Ogre!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Cool! MUSCLE has some inventive villains like that- I wanted to showcase Brickhouse as a standard... well, BRICK... but also showcase some more interesting powers, hence his shapeshifting and the like.
Jabroniville

Calaverita

Post by Jabroniville »

CALAVERITA (Real Name Unknown)
Hgt:
5'9" Wgt: 140 lbs.
Role: Dark Vigilante
PL 10 (250)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 9 (+13)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+14)
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Streetwise) 10 (+12)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+12)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Vines) 3 (+12)
Stealth 6 (+12)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Fearless, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Coils), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Last Stand (Ignores Damage For 1 Round With HP Spent), Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 4, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown 2, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Dark Spirit"
Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]
Regeneration 4 [4]

"Strangling Marigold Vines" Affliction 8 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Exhausted & Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reversible, Split) (Extras: Progressive +2, Ranged, Extra Condition) (Diminished Range -1) (41) -- [43]
  • AE: "Phasing" Insubstantial 4 (20)
  • AE: "Fade Away" Teleport 6 (Flaws: Medium- Shadows) (6)
Summon Los Guerreros del Craneo 4 (Extras: Active, Controlled, Horde, 6 Minions +5) [40]

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Strangling Vines +12 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Stopping the Cartels)
Enemy (The Cartels and Their Allies)- Mexico is a horribly-corrupt country, with the army, police and government all having links to the Cartels, and those who fight this often keep their silence out of fear. This means that Calaverita has very few friends in high places, or anyone willing to help her out.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 62--31 / Advantages: 29 / Powers: 89 / Defenses: 17 (250)

-Calaverita is an Undead Spirit- her mortal form was that of a police officer, killed in the line of duty by vicious members of a drug cartel in her native Mexico. She was one of numerous victims beaten, tortured and beheaded by a notorious ganglord- however, she was the one chosen by Santa Muerte. "Saint Death", the target of a modern-day new folk-religion of sorts in Mexico, is the controversial "patron saint" of criminals and others whose lives are in constant danger. Saint Death was angered by the viciousness of the cartels, and thus empowered a champion to fight for the innocent victims.

-Calaveras is an acrobatic, dangerous fighter, but possessing of a sense of humor- representing the capricious nature of life in ultra-violent Mexico. Using her powers, she fades into the fray, strangling her victims with her "Living Vines" (of Marigolds, the flower used to give tribute to the dead) while she mocks their futility. Calaveras has become a symbol of hope and force for good in her native Mexico, and is the Numero Uno target of the various Cartels, especially as she grows more brazen in attacking the higher-ups. However, she has also become a figure of terror to them- the men recognize that Calaverita's victims are doomed to spend years as her minions. This is uniquely-fearful to the Cartels, which generally laugh in the face of death, which they see as inevitable.

-Los Guerreros del Craneo: Calaveras also summons small bands of "Skull Warriors" to aid her in battle. These silent, skull-faced figures are actually the immortal souls of her victims given new form- Santa Muerte steals the souls of Calaverita's victims, using them to fight for her champion. They are resurrected after each death, fighting until their debt to the Saint has been paid off.

-Calaverita is an acrobatic fighter, capable of disarming foes with her cruel wit or haunting nature- even the normally-fearless Cartel members (who know they are doomed to live short lives) fear becoming used as her slaves.

Jab's Notes: Calaverita came to me when I was looking up the art-book for "The Book of Life", a somewhat-minor animated film that came out a couple of years ago. While I found the movie pretty typical and with a lot of generic stuff, the art style was AMAZING, and the La Muerte character had one of the greatest designs I'd ever seen. Essentially a Mexican "sugar skull" (or "Calaveras") decked out like a sexy lady with a gigantic sombrero full of candles, I knew immediately I had to make a superhero kind of like that. I combined aspects of that character with the luchador La Parka (a man in a giant skeleton costume), and created Calaverita (the "-ita" suffix makes things sound cuter and more feminine). I threw in a lot of Mexican cultural things (those flowers are related to death and funerals; so are the streamers that are shown in her powers) too, to the point that someone on my DeviantArt actually thought I spoke Spanish :).

-She is also inspired by the deadly drug-war raging throughout Mexico- I figure that, despite my world being more "Typical Super-Hero" in a lot of ways, it would also have gritty bad-asses and heroes who kill, but they'd typically be in the darker, muddier areas of the world, where danger and corruption are even bigger parts of life. The worship of "Saint Death" is a typically-Mexican thing, where the "lost" (drug users, criminals, the poor, etc.) worship something so outside- a suspiciously non-Catholic "Catholic" symbol, and figured that this "Saint Death" may empower a champion to protect the innocent. This character could produce a lot of interesting team-ups, as the heroes who are less likely to strangle their foes and turn them into undead slaves would probably be mortified by Calaverita, who would think herself pragmatic and necessary, and other heroes perhaps a bit naive.

LOS GUERREROS DEL CRANEO
Role:
Summoned Minions
PL 6 (59)- Minion Rank 4
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment (Paired Clubs +1- Split), Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Dark Spirit"
Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Clubs +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 2 (59)

-The Guerreros are forced into servitude for Calaverita, and are generally enough to handle most Cartel goons one-on-one.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shock

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (War Pangolin! The Ogre! Calaverita!)

Post by Shock »

That's a great design
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:35 am That's a great design
Thanks! Might not be something I want to draw over and over again for a sequential comic (though I made sure it was more simplified than La Muerte), but I'm happy with the results :).
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Oh thank god I wasn't the only one with a crush on La Muerte.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:36 pm Oh thank god I wasn't the only one with a crush on La Muerte.
Death never looked so delicious.
Jabroniville

The Dog Pack

Post by Jabroniville »

Dogbull: "Wonderful costumes, master, but why must we wear masks?"
Doberman Puncher: "You imbecile! For DISGUISE!!"
Retriever: "Of course! We wouldn't want to be recognized!"

THE DOG PACK:
-The Dog Pack was created by an insane scientist who believed that canines, morally-superior to and more loyal than humanity, would inherit the Earth. Calling himself Dogmaster, he created a system that enhanced the minds of dogs to human-level intellect and made them bipedal. Dognapping a bunch of animals from the pound, he created his "Dog Pack"- Retriever, Dogbull, Terror Terrier, Doberman Puncher and Greatest Dane. Despite his grandios concept, his plans largely consisted of kidnapping politicians and trying to brainwash them into creating more dog-friendly rules. He was quickly defeated by Osprey, but would return a few other times, eventually facing off against several different heroes- a "Journeyman Villain".

-The group came to be known as an in-joke in both the heroic and villainous communities- people mentioning "the Dog Pack" and snickering to each other, with heroes counting them as among their most ridiculous foes, while even the worst Jobber Villains proclaiming themselves to be "Better than the Dog Pack". Despite that, the individual dogs were not without their capabilities, and unsuspecting people were often clobbered by a surprisingly-powerful fist- all of the Dogs, even the diminutive Terror Terrier, were much stronger than ordinary people.

-The Pack split up following Dogmaster's death during one of those great "Every Costumed Character Alive" crossovers (which also saw Terror Terrier's demise). The other three vanished, but Retriever attempted to become an independent criminal in order to make ends meet.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

The Dog Pack...so much awesomeness. 8-)
Jabroniville

Dogbull

Post by Jabroniville »

DOGBULL
Hgt:
5'2" Wgt: 200 lbs.
Role: Jobber Villain, Joke Villain
PL 7 (71)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+8)
Insight 3 (+2)
Intimidation 3 (+2)
Perception 7 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 1 (Horned Helmet +1), Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Critical (Headbutt), Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [5]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (9 mph) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Helmet +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Ridiculous)- The Dog Pack and Dogmaster are generally seen as jokes and relics to modern-day individuals.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 10 (71)

-Dogbull is a genetically-engineered bulldog, designed to be tenacious and implacable. Given a metal helmet with which to headbutt others, Dogbull was probably the most simple-minded of the Dog Pack. Eager to please, his favorite thing in the world was to dive into people head-first and scatter them aside. He has not been seen much since the Dog Pack split up- he was shown in a menagerie of "Super-Animals" gathered by The Zookeeper, witnessed in a "Mass Super-Brawl" and had been spotted in the employ of a wealthy man forming a minor army of super-villains, but he was rarely heard from.

Jab's Notes: I love the idea of a bulldog simply swapping the animal names around and wearing horns for some stupid reason. And yes, this is my attempt at mimicking those Gruenwaldian scenes where dozens of un-used villains show up at once in background shots (such as The Stranger's collection, or Kraven Jr.'s "Zoo").
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Oh yeah, the Dog Pack! It's funny how they were originally just a throwaway mention in Dogfish's bio, and now here they are getting actual write-ups (and stats) due to people showing interest in them! I just love goofy Jobber Villain Teams. (something I probably got from reading your thread!)
Jabroniville

Greatest Dane

Post by Jabroniville »

GREATEST DANE
Hgt:
8'6" Wgt: 650 lbs.
PL 7 (69)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Insight 3 (+3)
Intimidation 8 (+7)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Hold, Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Ridiculous)- The Dog Pack and Dogmaster are generally seen as jokes and relics to modern-day individuals.
Responsibility (World's Largest Lapdog)- Great Danes are typically non-violent, good-natured creatures, and Greatest Dane is no exception. He deplores violence, and usually has to be forced into carrying it out.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 9 (69)

-Greatest Dane was a Great Dane elevated to enormous size, and was by far the strongest of the Dog Pack. Much too mighty for most normal humans to combat, he was the group's "muscle", though normally had to be goaded into fighting. He was slow and inaccurate, but quite strong, and usually the hardest member of the team to be defeated, though he'd often give up if the others were knocked out or captured. When the Dog Pack split up, he happily retired, performing in traveling circuses and carnivals instead (though some of these turned out to be supervillain plots- these things will happen).

Jab's Notes: This one's entirely about the pun. Coming up with throwaway names for dog-villains, "Great Dane" was an obvious choice for the team's powerhouse (as the Silver Age likely wouldn't use Rottweilers or Mastiffs), but I took it one step farther with GREATEST Dane. That just sounds hilarious to me.
Jabroniville

Doberman Puncher

Post by Jabroniville »

DOBERMAN PUNCHER
Hgt:
5'8" Wgt: 180 lbs.
PL 7 (68)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Punch), Improved Defense, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Counter-Punch!" Benefit 1 (+2 to Accuracy if Enemy Missed a Melee Attack Last Turn) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Wants to Fight)- Puncher LOVES to do battle, testing his skill and speed against rival martial artists. He has a competitive streak a mile wide, and will almost always seek out the strongest fighter and challenge them to a one-on-one contest.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 8 (68)

-Doberman Puncher was raised up from a regular Doberman, and given a ridiculous name and boxing gloves, owing to his increased fighting capability compared to his "brothers". Dogmaster spent thousands of dollars on boxing training for his subordinate, and Doberman took to it rather well. However, learning the sweet science left him a bit arrogant, and over-competitive. This drove him to distraction in battle, as a good enough martial artist would provide an irresistible challenge, and Puncher would callenge them to defeat his style. As he's superhumanly-strong, he generally won against mediocre opponents, but elite superheroes could still win.

Jab's Notes: I was gonna just call him "Pincher", but typing out "Doberman Pincher", I suddenly realized that I had to use the stupidest, most punny name I could think of. I make no apologies.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

"Doberman Puncher" is just one of the most gloriously silly/stupid puns I've ever seen. (And I LOVE stupid puns!) He even has EVERLAST boxing gloves, which just completes the look.
Jabroniville

Terror Terrier

Post by Jabroniville »

TERROR TERRIER
Hgt:
3'8" Wgt: 75 lbs.
PL 7 (74)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
Insight 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Evasion, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Move-By Action, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (3 feet) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Temper)- Terror Terrier is almost constantly angry, and is the first member of his team to fight.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 8 (74)

-Terror Terrier is the diminutive, constantly-furious member of the Dog Pack, fighting due to "Small Dog Syndrome"- many small dogs are pampered and allowed to engage in dominant behaviors that humans find "cute" (such as sitting on another living being), leading to swelled heads and a belief they are the "Alpha" animal around. Since he was a small dog then, he maintained the same fury as an "uplifted", sentient being. This aggressive behavior caused numerous fights, dominance issues within the team, and more, leading to Terror Terrier often being goaded by super-heroes into acting stupidly and putting his team in danger. Terror Terrier was slain alongside Dogmaster during one giant Crisis, as an errant blast from an enemy "Elite Mook" disintegrated both of them- few people even realized the Dog Pack was involved in the battle.

Jab's Notes: Terror Terrier dying alongside Dogmaster is absolutely my "Crisis on Infinite Earths is used to get rid of some characters Wolfman & Perez didn't like" moment, as some silly Silver Age-type characters die as background losers in some crisis that doesn't even otherwise involve them. "Terror Terrier" was an obvious name, and the personality of small dogs gives way to an obvious "type" for this character- a shrimpy, violent pain in the ass.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:01 pm Oh yeah, the Dog Pack! It's funny how they were originally just a throwaway mention in Dogfish's bio, and now here they are getting actual write-ups (and stats) due to people showing interest in them! I just love goofy Jobber Villain Teams. (something I probably got from reading your thread!)
Haha, yeah, like I mentioned in my other thread, I found it interesting that people kept going "no wait- what about the Dog Pack?" when it was literally just some names I threw out there. It reminded me of Len Wein's assumption that the biggest name of the All-New X-Men would be Colossus.

And yes, I just HAD to go with Doberman Puncher once I saw his name in print. The official gloves just sealed the deal.