Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Jab's Builds! (Thor Builds! The Executioner! Enchantress! Lorelei!)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

The Enchantress is like the Wasp to me: I didn't care about her at all, and then I watched Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and now I love her. The episode where she comes after Baron Zemo for revenge after being betrayed is probably her high point--it's just amazing to see all these supervillains terrified that the Enchantress is coming to get them.
Jabroniville

Hogun

Post by Jabroniville »

HOGUN THE GRIM
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey into Mystery #119 (Aug. 1965)
Role: Grim Adventurer, Deadpan Snarky Guy
Group Affiliations: Asgard, The Warriors Three
PL 10 (142)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 2 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Asgardian Warrior) 9 (+10)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+2)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit (God), Diehard, Equipment 2 (Mace), Evasion, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Mace) 2, Improved Smash, Quick Draw, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Startle, Takedown 2, Teamwork

Powers:
"Asgardian God"
Impervious Toughness 3 [3]
Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) [2]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Power-Lifting 1 (25 tons) [1]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

Equipment:
"Mace" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 5) (8 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Mace +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10 (+2 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Asgard)
Quirk (Grim)- Hogun is very grim and sarcastic about things, and tends to hide his true feelings. Only a handful of people get how truly warm-hearted he is.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 11 (142)

-Hogun is kind of ahead-of-his-time as characters go- the Grim Vigilante type who broods but is actually caring deep-down. Granted, I'm not sure how much of that is his '60s self, but knowing Stan Lee's specialty of "Contradictory Characters" (meek but powerful; smart but beastly-looking; brilliant but arrogant; etc.), it wouldn't be too much of a shock. Also, Stan apparently intended to make Hogun as much like Charles Bronson as Fandral was Errol Flynn- this may make Hogun one of the most bad-ass fighters in the Marvel Universe.

-Hogun is not Aesir as the other two Warriors are- his homeland was conquered generations ago by Mogul of the Mystic Mountain, and he was made an honorary Asgardian. He is brusque, taciturn and stern in his lecturing of his more exciteable comrades-in-arms.

-He's a bit more rounded that Fandral, but lacks his fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants quick fighting style, making him a much cheaper individual on points. As an advantage, he gains Power Attack and a bit more raw Toughness.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Hogun got a solo story in the weekly Marvel Superheroes book that was pretty cool. He's off wandering Asgard when some kid attaches himself to his side to learn how to become a warrior. Hogun has no time for this, of course, but the kid won't let up. And then Hogun gets into a really savage fight, no quarter asked nor given, and the kid is just horrified by what he sees. He doesn't want any part of this and goes home to his family.

And Hogun, quietly, whispers "Victory."
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

There was a 1970's "Marvel Spotlight" or something that featured the Warriors Three and while it mostly was just them getting in bar fights in NYC, it was pretty amusing. Fandral was having a great time and when the press showed up, Hogun threatened to slice off the "on air" reporter's nose off for sticking it where it doesn't belong. It was a pretty fun, if essentially meaningless story.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yeah, the Warriors Three have been around the Marvel Universe almost since the beginning...but they've never really DONE anything of importance; they've always been barely-touched on backgrounders/minor supporting cast member. Occasionally they get a back-up tale or two focusing on them (usually individually rather than as a trio), stories of light comedy or mildly poignancy. Which is a shame, because they're basically a super-powered version of the Three Musketeers, as portrayed by Errol Flynn, Charles Bronson, and John Candy. They're just waiting for the proper writer to come along, shake off the cornball elements they're saddled with, get them away from Asgard for awhile, and have a hell of a 6-issue miniseries adventure!

(Oh, I forgot...Marvel is too "smart" to do miniseries anymore, because reasons).

All my best
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Enchantress

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:30 pm

THE ENCHANTRESS (Amora)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey Into Mystery #103 (April 1964)
Holy MOLEY.

The Enchantress was always fun and showed what a strong design she's got in that they rarely every changed it. It's pretty much perfect as far as an iconic outfit goes.

I was also glad when Amora's attitude towards Thor started to get portrayed properly, like in Avengers: EMH. I've seen a lot of comics readers (and even a few writers) act like Amora was a mostly harmless villain whose biggest sin was wanting to have sex with Thor, and that Thor was an idiot for not just shacking up with her. But that's not what Amora is. She isn't some harmless love-struck girl who pines for this guy she can never have, not matter how amazing her boobs are and how much she throws herself at him.

Amora has spent her immortal life going after Thor, trying to use seduction (magical or mundane) or violence to claim him, tries to ruin his life when he rejects her, and has used her powers to force men to serve her, literally and Biblically. Amora is literally a superstrong, durable, immortal, magic using stalker and rapist, basically using the magical equivalent of a date rape drug to try and get what she wants. There are a lot of horror stories of women like her and what they can do to the people they obsess over. People like Amora are a special dangerous kind of crazy.

At the same time, the optimist in me likes the occasional hints that there is something worth saving in her, like when she wanted to escape Battleworld to warn Asgard of the threat a Beyonder-powered Doom posed, or her admitting that if she had kissed Thor, she might have genuinely fallen for him and changed her ways. But at the end of the day, her selfishness and cowardice prevented her from standing by Thor's side during a pivotal moment.

I honestly miss her as a villain, and it's a shame that modern Marvel has become a place where she apparently just doesn't fit in. But I've made it clear that I'm in the camp that hates what modern Marvel has become, and hopes it can pull its head out of its ass soon.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Volstagg

Post by Jabroniville »

VOLSTAGG THE VALIANT/VOLUMINOUS
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey into Mystery #119 (Aug. 1965)
Role: Big Funny Fat Guy
Group Affiliations: Asgard, The Warriors Three
PL 10 (124)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 12 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Asgardian Warrior) 7 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit (God), Close Attack, Diehard, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Blade), Improved Smash, Interpose, Quick Draw, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown, Teamwork, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Asgardian God"
Impervious Toughness 9 [9]
Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) [2]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Features 2: Increase Mass 2 [2]

Equipment:
"Staff" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 6) (8 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Staff +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Asgard)
Responsibility (Past His Prime)- Volstagg is slower and fatter than the average Asgardian, and has long since passed his physical prime.
Relationship (Family)- Volstagg is a proud husband, and father to a large brood. Threats to them, or to ANY children, will be met with the full breadth of Volstagg's impressive power.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 11 (124)

-Volstagg (based off of Shakespeare's Falstaff, an enormously popular buffoon who became a popular supporting character, producing one of fiction's first "Spin-Offs", appearing in another play after Henry IV) was initially a buffoonish fat guy who frequently caused problems for his teammates while stealing credit and failing. Eventually under Walt Simonson and some earlier writers, he'd morphed into the character we recognize today- the big, funny fat guy who fights with a drink in hand and kicks ass with his pals. He's still a braggart, but now at least he can back it up. The big change seems to be when he nearly sacrificed his life to save a child- it would later be revealed by Simonson that Volstagg himself was a family man.

-Volstagg is resurrected following Ragnarok, but is framed by Norman Osborn into setting off the Siege event, as his battle against the U-Foes is meant to act as another "Stamford Incident", and justify a government assault on Asgard- he later punches out Osborn at the event's finale. He later becomes JaneThor's companion, but ultimately finds the discarded hammer of the deceased Ultimate Thor, and becomes a "War Thor" after becoming enraged at seeing human children die against Surtur's Fire Demons.

-He's the fattest Asgardian by far (Sunspot almost broke his back just LIFTING Volstagg against his will!), still a fairly good fighter, and he's strong as hell. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
StarGuard

Re: Jab's Builds! (Deathstroke! The Ringer! Thor Builds!)

Post by StarGuard »

RUSCHE wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:33 pm I always have been a fan of Thor and his place in the Marvel pantheon. It is not his power that I admired, it was his way on facing evil. Straight to the point and never backing down. I can see about people's view on a new power feat a week, yet hell look a Thanos That guy gets a power up every story ark he is in. His face off against The Midgard Serpent while Hela had cursed him is a prime example of why I love the guy. Bones brittle and shattered and being held together by his armor and facing off against HIS prophesied end,he faces it with a smirk and determination few of his fellow heroes could. My 2 cents worth. As always love the builds.
This shared personality trait with Steve Rogers explains the respect the two have always have had for each other and the reason Thor mourned Captain America as he did a year after his death. They are of one indominatable spirit.

I chuckle every time the phrase "little known" is used to describe character from the 60s and 70s ... you know because I remember those comics ... buying them off the rack at the time ;) Matter of fact ... the animosity today's Jane-Thor brings to some is the same way I felt about Beta Ray Bill and Masterson when they made their debuts ... still not a fan of those guys :(

PS: totally stealing the Hogan build someday ... because he's my second favorite non-Thor Asgardian ... Sif being first in case you wondered :D
Last edited by StarGuard on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Thorbuilds

Post by Ares »

Yojimbo wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:39 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:16 am -Frickin' Thor. Basically created to be Marvel's answer to Superman (some historical reports have said as much, others play coy), but with a mythological, magical bent, Thor's been all over the place, but has consistently been well-portrayed. That's thanks to the loving hands of several creators- Jack Kirby considered this a favourite, and then there's Walt Simonson and the last creative teams in recent years as well- Thor draws as many A-list creative teams as Wonder Woman (but sells better).
As a kid who loved Middle-Earth, D&D, and superheroes equally, Thor was pretty much a no-brainer. I was also lucky enough to be in the midst of my formative years as a comic book consumer when Walt Simonson was writing the book. It's really one of the greatest runs of all time, comparable to Stan & Jack on Fantastic Four or Stan & Steve on Spider-Man or Englehart & Rogers on Batman.
I definitely agree. Being a fan of crossovers, genre mashups and the like, superhero comics have always had a special place in my heart. If it was JUST guys in costumes and superpowers having adventures, it would be enough. But the fact that you can have a setting where one character is a literal Norse god as a superhero, then have said god be part of a team of heroes who travels to an alien world to fight giant robots, while the chi-channeling martial artist winds up kung fu fighting dinosaurs in a lost jungle hidden in Antarctica, well, I couldn't love the genre more because it allows for ALL genres.

I love that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has really embraced that aspect, where you've got Iron Man, Spider-Man and Daredevil for your classic superheroes, Capt. America and Agents of SHIELD for your superspies/soldiers stories, Iron Fist and Dr. Strange for your more mystical/urban fantasy series, Jessica Jones for your police/detective stories, the Guardians of the Galaxy for your sci-fi stuff, etc. If anything, the major failing of the Thor movies was not embracing the fantasy aspect openly enough.

My own superhero setting would definitely embrace that kind of thing, where you'd have some D&D/Warcraft style fantasy setting out there existing as its own thing with semi-regular crossovers with the superhero setting, a Star Wars/Trek sci-fi setting defined enough to be its own thing, with more interacting from superheroes, a fleshed out martial arts scene on Earth, more supernatural horror/urban fantasy, etc. These settings are suppose to be fun, so why not engineer something where the caped flying brick, the literal paladin, the kung fu master, the super soldier, the modern mystic and the space ranger are all fighting cyborg dinosaurs in some alien gladiatorial arena?
-I think some of the only Thor appearances that I enjoy involve him being a rarely-speaking giant dumb weapon, almost as if nobody's actually PLAYING him in a game, but that Thor himself is a Power of the other Avengers- sorta like Captain Planet. In many Hickman & Remender Avengers issues, he just kind of grunts along and then does something awesome, like pretending to give up, only to tear his hammer through an Alien Super-Robot or something like that. Thor, it seems, kicks ass the more silent he is.
I think that ignores one of the best aspects of Thor: his rampant, over the top braggadacio. Thor's much more fun when he's explaining in minute detail how he's going to kick your ass, in florid, faux-Shakespearean prose. It's the key to his charm, and the only real bursts of personality he gets (otherwise, he's just a straight-up paladin sort of guy in order to be worthy enough to wield Mjolnir).

What's more fun, Thor silently (the god of thunder, silent? C'mon!) beating up a huge giant monster, or Thor loudly exclaiming:

"Come lightning! Come thunder! Answer your master's call! Now, creature, you face the full fury of the unfettered storm! Have at thee!"

And then he thrakka-krakka-doom's the hell out of the guy.

I mean, yeah, Thor's overpowered. But the best Thor stories are him dealing with cosmic threats above and beyond the average Avenger's pay grade, or having to deal with something he's not actually equipped to deal with, like being turned into a frog or something.
This. A THOUSAND times this. The Avengers sourcebook of the old Marvel SAGA system had an advice box about how to play gods next to Thor's entry, and the basic point was that when playing a god, think BIG and think GRAND. You never just punch a guy, you haul back your fist while making a grand proclamation about how your opponent is about to face the punch that sunders the heavens. When you defend a point from attack, you swear by your father's beard and by the divine blood in your veins that no villains shall make it past you. When you eat a good meal, you remark how this dish rivals that of the immortal chefs of Asgard.

Everything is big and bold and epic and FUN. I know I keep using that word but that's the truth of it. Its one thing Kurt Busiek got right in his mixed presentation of Thor. When the Grim Reaper raised several Avengers from the grave, only for them to eventually return to the afterlife, Thor does his "I SAY THEE NAY!" line and proceeds to smash dozens of demons away from him as he makes a be-line towards the Reaper. He says something to the effect of

"This shall not pass! Those noble souls thou didst profain, they were our comrades! Our brothers and sisters! You have despoiled their bodies and tarnished their memories, and for THAT, Reaper, THERE WILL BE A RECKONING!"

Cue hammer shot to the Reaper's face.

Or as Busiek Thor also put it: "ULTRON! We would have WORDS with thee."

Though in addition to how grandiose and bombastic Thor and other gods should be, I also like it when writers have touched on other elements of Thor, such as how important customs of hospitality, words of honor, obligations of the host, and similar things were. The Dresden Files does a good job of showcasing these "unwritten rules" of the supernatural world, which translates well to some portrayals of Thor. Basically, the guy is VERY polite and a perfect gentleman, generous to people, he is a generous host and a perfect guest in anyone's home. Thor has bouts of arrogance, he feels (not unjustly) that he's due a certain amount of respect, his first response to an issue is to hammer it and only be tactical when that doesn't work, but he's a genuinely fun guy who loves life, is a good friend, is legitimately polite and friendly to people who don't antagonize him, etc. He's basically most of the positive aspects of the jock, good ole boy and southern gentleman archetypes, with just enough of an ego and competitive streak to keep things interesting. In that regard, movie Thor is pretty solid. He just needs to make some more grandiose proclamations during a fight.

As for Thor being overpowered, I think Thor just occasionally suffered Superman syndrome where the writers would have the hammer come up with some new powers to solve the issue of the day. If you stick Thor and Superman to some well defined, core abilities, and not go all Jeff Loeb power-wank crazy, then they can serve equally well as part of the Avengers or Justice League, having their own high powered adventures, or stopping the Wrecking Crew or Metallo from knocking over a bank.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:35 am Yeah, the Warriors Three have been around the Marvel Universe almost since the beginning...but they've never really DONE anything of importance; they've always been barely-touched on backgrounders/minor supporting cast member. Occasionally they get a back-up tale or two focusing on them (usually individually rather than as a trio), stories of light comedy or mildly poignancy. Which is a shame, because they're basically a super-powered version of the Three Musketeers, as portrayed by Errol Flynn, Charles Bronson, and John Candy. They're just waiting for the proper writer to come along, shake off the cornball elements they're saddled with, get them away from Asgard for awhile, and have a hell of a 6-issue miniseries adventure!

(Oh, I forgot...Marvel is too "smart" to do miniseries anymore, because reasons).

All my best
Yeah, the current "prevailing wisdom" is that nobody buys an intentionally-short Limited Series any more, so Marvel won't produce one. They'll instead devote press paper to comics doomed to fail after six or seven issues, and cancel them THAT way! MUCH more efficient :)!

Of course, this has the effect, as I've mentioned before, of "poisoning" certain lower-tier characters, many of whom might not get a chance in the future because their name gets attached to an "ongoing series" that is swiftly cancelled. The Black Knight is always the example I use, as Marvel made the ill-timed decision to release an ongoing featuring him trapped in a different dimension, which could NOT have been more obviously "we're flooding the market with fifty #1s, and this one's going to fail right out of the gate". And now anyone who's a fan of the Black Knight is gonna have to deal with a comic company gun-shy on the character, because as expected, his book failed so badly.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:22 pm also another few tidbits.

About Amora: there was an issue of a Marvel Superheroes Special that featured Volstagg telling his kids some stories about his previous heroic ages. The one he told had Odin sending him to earth to get Thor back to Asgard. He was young and petulant and hanging out with Loki, Skurge, and Amora....with the latter three plotting against him unbeknownst to him. Loki had Amora to lead Thor to get her some huge jewels which were a component to keeping Frost Giants from escaping into earth. Volstagg of course tells the kids that he was a great hero and Thor sort of a doddering fool (of course it's the other way around) and that he had the Enchantress infatuated him. Of course as he tells the story, Amora just happens to be passing by.....gets amused and listens.....by the end of the story the kids of course don't believe him, but Amora so amused by the story walks up onto the porch and confirms the story before giving Volstagg the kiss he claims to have never gotten....which makes steam shoot out his ears and turn beet red. Amora walks off amused...the kids believe him....and Volstagg's wife comes out henpecking him for kissing strumpets in front of their children. He follows "Yes my pet....of course my dove", etc.
Hah- that sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder if that's in on of my Thor collections? Fun story.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Yeah, Marvel's whole concept of not doing mini-series is an odd decision. Especially in the current comic market, where manga, which often have a defined beginning, middle and end, even if their chapters in a larger story, are gaining in market share.

It isn't magic. This isn't like the "old days" when I first was buying comics and the issue number stood for anything. Now, the perpetual cycle of reboots and renumbers has left that entire concept meaningless. If anything Marvel should completely embrace the concept of self-contained stories done as mini-series, even if each miniseries fits into a larger character/group narrative. It would make them easier to repackage as trades and would give the trades an easily discernible numeric progression.

But what do I know?
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

After watching the first Avengers movie it dawned on me how most of the characters (Cap, Hawkeye, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor) would lend themselves perfectly to a fantasy setting (in my head it was the LOTR movies) they're almost the fantasy classes made flesh. As for a Sci-Fi, what about an Earth similar to that of the Star Trek Earth (where everything's pretty much perfect and humans are a space-faring race) where the age of super-heroes is almost seen as a myth, then some major event happens and the long-lived heroes (such as Hercules, Thor, Vision etc.) meet back up to reassemble the Avengers.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

M4C8 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:16 pm After watching the first Avengers movie it dawned on me how most of the characters (Cap, Hawkeye, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor) would lend themselves perfectly to a fantasy setting (in my head it was the LOTR movies) they're almost the fantasy classes made flesh. As for a Sci-Fi, what about an Earth similar to that of the Star Trek Earth (where everything's pretty much perfect and humans are a space-faring race) where the age of super-heroes is almost seen as a myth, then some major event happens and the long-lived heroes (such as Hercules, Thor, Vision etc.) meet back up to reassemble the Avengers.
My personal D&D 5th Edition take on some of the most iconic Avengers are:
  • Thor/Hercules: Fighter, Champion (while they can fit the Barbarian mold as well, I believe that the Champion works better for them because of it's simplicity, Thor and Herc aren't stupid, but they tend go for the straighter route most of the time)
  • Hulk: Barbarian, Berserker (pretty straightforward)
  • Ant-Man & Wasp: Druid, Circle of the Moon (this might seem a bit of a stretch, but the key part of both these characters are animal control and shapeshifting)
  • Iron Man: Wizard, ??? (I really don't like equating Tony to a wizard, although it's one of the few ways to properly represent his armor, plus now playing armored wizard is actually possible)
  • Captain America: Paladin, Oath of the Ancients (in previous editions I would say Fighter, mostly because the classic oath really don't suit him well)
  • Hawkeye: Ranger, Hunter (I hate the bow=ranger equation, but in this case I think it works pretty well)
  • Scarlet Witch: Sorceress, Wild Magic (I don't think this need an explanation)
  • Quicksilver: Rogue, Arcane Trickster (this one is very much of a stretch, but I really can't find a good equivalent to Pietro's abilities, so I went for some lateral thinking and tried to figure out how to replicate the results)
  • Black Knight: Warlock, Pact of the Blade (I was very tempted to make him a fighter, but in the end Dane's big deal was always the Black Blade)
  • Black Panther: Fighter, Battlemaster (while I hate to give T'Challa of all people an archetype based on improving others, I think it fits)
  • Black Widow: Rogue, Assassin (very straightfoward)
  • Falcon: Ranger, Beast Master (again)
  • Ms Marvel: Fighter, Eldritch Knight (Carol combines high level military skill with enormous firepower, so it kind of fit)
  • Vision: Wizard, Transmuter (most of Viz's powers have to deal with manipulating his own body)
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Vidar

Post by Jabroniville »

VIDAR
Created By:
Alan Zelenetz & Bob Budiansky
First Appearance: Thor Annual #12 (1984)
Role: Side Character
Group Affiliations: Asgard
PL 11 (134)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Aesir Soldier) 4 (+5)
Insight 1 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+8, +9 Size)
Perception 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Staff), Improved Disarm, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown

Powers:
"Immortal Aesir"
Power Lifting 1 (50 tons) [1]
Impervious Toughness 5 [5]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]

"Half-Storm Giant"
Growth 2 (ST & STA +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

"Magical Staff" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Staff +9 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +12 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Asgard, Odin)

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 11 (134)

Vidar in Mythology: Barely a character in the comics, Vidar is stated to survive Ragnarok in mythology- he slays the Fenris Wolf after the creature devours his father. Vidar is stated to be the son of Odin and the jotun Grior, and is known for being exceptionally silent.

-Vidar is the half-brother of Thor, and the son of Odin by a Storm Giantess (lucky devil, that Odin). He was a huntsman and warrior, but sort of retired to become a farmer in the Asgardian mountains- he assists Asgard in times of need, however. When his wife Solveig was murdered by Storm Giants, he warred against them alongside the God of Thunder and Hoder (another God)- on a later occasion, he was given Thor's power to fight an alliance of Storm & Frost Giants. He was slain in battle with trolls during Ragnarok. I figure him for PL 10.5-ish.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.