Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Bill! Thermal Man! Odin! Mangog! Destroyer!)

Post by Ares »

Yeah, the Destroyer is just one of those awesome concepts made moreso by a simple but iconic and badass design. It's the Thermal Man concept done right, a superweapon designed by frickin Odin that is meant to kill gods and worse than gods. It also looks like it walked off a Heavy Metal Album cover, which doesn't hurt things at all.

I'm not sure if it gets used too much, too little, or just right. I'd lean more towards "just right" or "too little", as every appearance has it treated with the kind of menace it should be, and it hasn't succumbed to over exposure as far as I can tell. Frankly, the Destroyer, Doomsday and even guys like the Joker should be more of a nuclear option for comics, used sparingly so that their impact actually has some weight to it.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I wouldn't mind regular Joker appearances if he were more of a regular crook- like, he schemed to off Batman, but he was still a thief and stuff. Insane Supporting Cast-Killing Serial Killer Joker can get bent.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I always loved the awesomeness of the Destroyer.
Jabroniville

The Bio-Electric Fury of... no wait

Post by Jabroniville »

THE FENRIS WOLF
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey Into Mystery #114 (March 1965)
Role: Big Bad-Ass Wolf
Group Affiliations: Asgard
PL 14 (225)
STRENGTH
15 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Hunter) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 10 (+10, +18 Size)
Perception 10 (+12)
Stealth 4 (+8, -8 Size)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Asgardian Physiology" 
Immunity 5 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Cold, Disease, Sleep) [5]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrowth) [5]
Immortality 1 [2]
Morph 1 (Wolf Forms) [5]
Power Lifting 6 (50,000 tons) [6]
Impervious Toughness 15 [15]

"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 4 (120 mph) [4]

"Area Attack" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (28) -- [29]
AE: "Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Penetrating 10) (12)

Growth 16 (+16 Mass, +8 Intimidation, -8 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -16 Stealth) -- (96 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-STR & STA Boosts) [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Natural Weapons +10 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Area Attack +14 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +16 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will +8

Complications: 
Disabled (Animal)- The Fenris Wolf cannot use his giant paws to easily manipulate objects.
Enemy (Thor, Asgard)

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 95 / Defenses: 10 (225)

Fenrir in Mythology: Fenris is typically called "The Fenris Wolf" by people nowadays, and was called either "Fenrir" or "Fenrir's Wolf" to the Norse. Fenrir is the son of Loki (and thus brother to Hela & Jormungand), and bit off Tyr's hand centuries ago when the Norse had to chain him. In Ragnarok, he is fated to slay Odin, King of the Gods, but be himself killed by Vidar.

-The Fenris Wolf is kinda the ultimate adversary of Norse Mythology in a few ways (alongside Jormungandr), as he's the guy who's supposed to swallow up Odin at Ragnarok, to be killed by Vidar. In the comics, he alternates between being a big fuzzy wolf-man, and being a huge friggin' 100-foot-long Wolf. Personally the latter is cooler, but he's been elite in either form. This makes him one of those guys with a Non-Boosting Growth set-up, as he's still able to match Thor in combat otherwise. Except for that time Captain America held him off and Thor just straight-up whupped him. At one point he used a +2 Magic Hammer (he one-shot-killed Kurse with it), which doesn't alter his PL at all.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

it's gender seems to change from time to time too. sometimes it's male....and sometimes it's a female giving birth to things like Sturm and Drang via Surtur or the Hoarfen via a frost giant (maybe Ymir)

But both those stories were Peter David and since the thing rarely got use in the old days maybe it wasn't defined as a male or female

or since it's Loki's kid it can shapeshift

or it was from a earlier Ragnarok cycle

I just don't know
Jabroniville

Shatterfist

Post by Jabroniville »

SHATTERFIST (Real Name Unknown, aka Power Glove)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco, Ron Frenz & Al Milgrom
First Appearance: Thor #440 (Jan. 1992)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil
PL 8 (95)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+3)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Powers:
"Power Gloves" (Flaws: Removable) [18]
Damage 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating) (22 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Power Gloves +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 12 (95)

-Hah, now here's a straight-up loser. I only know him from the bios section at the back of the first Dark Reign trade, and he's so minor he doesn't even have a Real Name yet! Just some aimless thug with a Device on him, there's no explanation of his origin, where he got those Power Gloves, and what the hell he thought he was doing fighting THOR of all people when he's just a Jobber. Even his bios tend to make fun of how sucky he is! Pretty much a contender for "Worst Supervillain Ever"- amazingly, there's actually a DC character with exactly the same name.

-The character actually debuts as a "Cross-Time Villain" of Thor's when Zarrko the Tomorrow Man summons villains from the past and future. Thor has thus never encountered Shatterfist before, and only later meets him for the "first" time. A clever bit, but the guy really just had no character beyond "Criminal with some powerful gear". He later popped up on that MASSIVE Masters of Evil team in Thunderbolts, but was given a quick and humiliating beat-down.

-Just an awful PL 8, a guy with only one actual attack, and he's PL 6 defensively. His full-on Punch is actually QUITE dangerous if it hits, but he's barely more capable than a henchman in terms of accuracy, so he's still pretty low-level. All-Out & Power Attack might help a BIT to help him dish out the damage, but he sure sucks all-around.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Valkyrie

Post by Jabroniville »

VALKYRIE (Brunnhilde, aka Samantha Parrington, Barbara Norriss, Sian Bowen)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & John Buscema (original), Steve Englehart (modern incarnation)
First Appearance: The Avengers #83 (Dec. 1970)
Role: The Iconic Defender, Warrior Chick
Group Affiliations: The Defenders, The Valkyrior, The Secret Avengers, The Lady Liberators
Avengers Grade: D-Level (only a Secret Avenger)
PL 10 (145)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+14) -- Flaws: Limited to Riding
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (History) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Valkyrie) 9 (+10)
Insight 2 (+3)
Investigation 4 (+5)
Intimidation 8 (+9)
Perception 6 (+7)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Dragonfang), Improved Smash, Minion 6 (Aragorn), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Asgardian Physiology"
Power Lifting 1 (50 tons) [1]
Impervious Toughness 3 [3]
Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) [2]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]

"Valkyrie Powers"
Super-Senses 4 (Precognition) 4 (Flaws: Limited to Impending Death) [2]
Super-Senses 3 (Detect Death- Ranged & Acute) [3]

"Dragonfang" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Subtle- Appears Invisible When Sheathed) [7]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 5) (8) -- (9)
  • AE: "Spear" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Extended Reach 2) (3)
Enhanced Advantages 1: Quick Draw (1)
-- (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Spear +8 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Dragonfang +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10 (+2 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Valkyrie of Asgard)
Responsibility (Aragorn)

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 16 (145)

ARAGORN
Role:
Flying Mounted Beast
PL 7 (75)- Minion Rank 6
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+5)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+5 Size)
Perception 5 (+8)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Attractive (To Women), Diehard, Follow-Up Strike, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hooves), Improved Initiative, Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 [3]
"Natural Weapons- Hooves" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Protection 2 [2]

"Wings" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Hooves +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications: 
Disabled (Animal)- Aragorn cannot speak to humans, nor use his hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 23 / Defenses: 13 (75)

Valkyrie- One Tough Bio To Figure Out:
-Criminy, now THIS is an overly-complex character! Debuting first as Brunnhilde, the Samantha Parrington persona came into things, and there was a bunch of switching around, as Valkyrie's mind could be transplanted into the bodies of various women over the years. A major character in The Defenders, pretty much the "this is where D-League heroes go when they can't make The Avengers" book of Marvel's '70s & '70s & '80s (that kind of concept tends to invite the most inventive writing, and gain the most vocal kind of fans, but in small numbers), she did all KINDS of stuff, switching identities, gaining and losing new powers, etc. So I'm absolutely confused as to where one ends and the other beings- even the Annotated Appendix to the Marvel Universe has a dozen Defenders appearances of "normal" Brunnhilde, and a hundred of the "Samantha" Valkyrie, as if they're different people (but with one personality in the other), but nobody around her seems to ask what's up... I'm so confused.

Valkyrie's Origins:
-Initially, Valkyrie was just The Enchantress in a disguise, meant to befuddle The Avengers by getting the female members of the team to turn on the men. However, apparently liking the idea (or maybe just the "Armored Boobs" costume), Thomas used it for another character a year later- a Hulk opponent named Samantha Parrington. Later, Steve Englehart would make her one of his trademark Defenders (ands he's arguably the most-iconic member of the group- most of the others are either better known for other stuff, or not known at all). Anthony Kraft and Ed Hannigan, later writers, would "flesh out" her backstory, and then J.M. DeMatteis & Mark Gruenwald would have to deal with THAT, which is probably why her character history is now such a mess, and now she's JUST a Valkyrie, nothing more.

-Brunnhilde is a Valkyrie- the mightiest of their number. She was trapped in stasis by The Enchantress after discovering Amora's evil nature (explaining why Amora was able to "become Valkyrie" at one point- she was siphoning off her powers). Months later, Amora would bestow the powers upon a wealthy socialite named Samantha Parrington, who fought The Hulk. Finally, a woman named Barbara Norriss was given the powers in order to help out The Defenders, who were teaming with Amora on some mission. Curiously, the two "switched spirits"- Norriss' essence was trapped in Brunnhilde's real body in Asgard, while Brunnhilde was walking around on Earth. Eventually, the two Valkyries fought, the Norriss-in-Brunnhilde Val was tossed into Niffleheim.

Valkyrie Continues On:
-Eventually, Norris's body was murdered, and Valkyrie's spirit floated around free- Dr. Strange helped her regain her true body. Feeling PO'd because Odin had ignored her plight for so long, Val rejoined The Defenders and rejected Asgard. However, she was still assigned by Odin to watch over Moondragon while she attempted to reform, and ended up "dead" fighting her and the Dragon of the Moon, along with the rest of the team at the end of the Defenders book. She was eventually resurrected along with the others, Dr. Strange putting her in the body of a woman named Sian Bowen, and she was killed AGAIN during Loki's invasion of Asgard. Eventually, there was a big Ragnarok-y Reboot, and most of the Norse Gods returned- Brunnhilde was seen as a member of the Secret Avengers for a number of issues, then moved on to become the central character of The Fearless Defenders. And she slept with Flash Thompson. 

-But really, I think most people think of Valkyrie as a Defender, first and foremost. Hell, she barely even interacts with THOR, despite him being the #1 Asgardian Hero at Marvel. Her distinctive appearance (statuesque woman with "Operatic Fat Lady" braids and the iconic "Round Boob-Covers") means that she's often the most-interesting person in any given Group Shot, and she's on a LOT of the old covers of the book. However, the confusing nature of her history, the fact that the team was killed-off in their last issue, and her unimportance to the main Thor book, all combined together to make her a CLASSIC "D-List" character, with nobody wanting to use her. With the recent FD book failing to sell (initial sales were good, then plummetted), and Thor now being... a super-strong woman with blonde hair... I don't imagine Valkyrie getting another push soon.

Valkyrie's Power:
-Valkyrie's one of those classic pains in the ass characters to determine for Power Levels, because she uses a super-sharp Sword, PLUS is super-strong normally, AND is supposed to be a really good fighter, which adds up to a PL 12 or something using M&M's system. She seems like a PL 11 if you just read her stat-line & Powers/Skills descriptions, but if you read the comics, she's NEVER THAT GOOD- she doesn't seem to get any strong wins. In The Fearless Defenders, her most recent showcasing, she's DEFINITELY not that elite- she's more of a high-end Goonsweeper than somebody who's overly powerful. And in the '70s Defenders books, the team is REALLY not that tough- Marvel characters were significantly-less-powerful in the 1970s than they are today, post-Power Creep. 

-So yeah, I've never seen Valkyrie portrayed as a supreme threat like a PL 11 theoretically should be. I mean, who has she beaten than a PL 10 couldn't? Nobody, by my recollection- she threatens people like Hawkeye, and might give Spider-Man some trouble, but that's it. I'd give her PL 10 now, and PL 9 back in the Bronze Ag (largely due to lower strength- she hardly seems that powerful then). She has a set of assorted minor powers, such as Detecting and Foreboding Death, a Quick Changing Sword that's normally invisible, and a Flying Horse Minion (the same Aragorn that Black Knight used- he gave him to Val when he left The Defenders).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Goldar

Re: Jab's Builds! (Odin! Mangog! Destroyer! Fenris! Valkyrie!)

Post by Goldar »

Yay, Valkyrie!

Maybe I can help to clear up, at least a little, where Valkyrie's power level should be today. :)

"The Valkyrie" that I came to love in the '70's was the Barbara Norriss version, with an interesting, mysterious past. She was created to be Marvel's first super-strong female character and a force to be reckoned with. She broke the Defenders out of a prison that three of the physically strongest heroes could not.

However, she quickly became a watered down version. While not immediately known to us fans, this was because she was not the true Brunhilde Valkyrie. That Barb-Val version was only about 1/12 of Brunhilde's 45 ton strength, hence little to no strength feats or major villain beat-up. However, the Barbara-Valkyrie did face the Hulk a number of times, took hits from the Hulk and jumped onto old Jade Jaws from awesome heights, fought the Executioner but eventually losing, stood up to Namor for one panel and even went up against a newly revived Wonder Man holding her own for a number of panels.

Brunhilde-Valkyrie, the Valkyrie in full possession of her powers, is not only the strongest Valkyrie, but also the strongest Asgardian realm female, except for Hela and the Jane Thor.

For example, the average Asgardians female can lift 25 tons and the average male 30 tons. Sif can lift what the average man can. The Warriors Three can each lift 5 tons more, or 35 tons. Brunhilde-Valkyrie can lift 45 tons, Hela and Jane 100+.

So Brunhilde Valkyrie should be higher in strength than 10, since I believe most of them had 10 listed. She is 1.5 times stronger than Sif. I see her as a low level PL 12 myself, but definitely a PL 11. And with her golden mystic sword Dragonfang, Valkyrie is mighty, if written correctly.

Hope this helps.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Yay, Valkyrie!

Maybe I can help to clear up, at least a little, where Valkyrie's power level should be today. :)

"The Valkyrie" that I came to love in the '70's was the Barbara Norriss version, with an interesting, mysterious past. She was created to be Marvel's first super-strong female character and a force to be reckoned with. She broke the Defenders out of a prison that three of the physically strongest heroes could not.

However, she quickly became a watered down version. While not immediately known to us fans, this was because she was not the true Brunhilde Valkyrie. That Barb-Val version was only about 1/12 of Brunhilde's 45 ton strength, hence little to no strength feats or major villain beat-up. However, the Barbara-Valkyrie did face the Hulk a number of times, took hits from the Hulk and jumped onto old Jade Jaws from awesome heights, fought the Executioner but eventually losing, stood up to Namor for one panel and even went up against a newly revived Wonder Man holding her own for a number of panels. I believe Barb-Val was in the 3.5 ton range at that time, same as Luke Cage, and she was about 5'9" 145 pounds.

Brunhilde-Valkyrie, the Valkyrie in full possession of her powers, is not only the strongest Valkyrie, but also the strongest Asgardian realm female, except for Hela and the Jane Thor. Brunhilde-Valkyrie stands 6'3" and weighs 475 pounds. She is much bulkier and has shown muscles, whereas Barb-Val was sleek and strong, no bulk, no muscles. I viewed Barb-Val like a two-armed Bionic Woman level of strength.

For example, the average Asgardians female can lift 25 tons and the average male 30 tons. Sif can lift what the average man can. The Warriors Three can each lift 5 tons more, or 35 tons. Brunhilde-Valkyrie can lift 45 tons, Hela and Jane 100+.

So Brunhilde Valkyrie should be higher in strength than 10, since I believe most of them had 10 listed. She is 1.5 times stronger than Sif. I see her as a low level PL 12 myself, but definitely a PL 11. And with her golden mystic sword Dragonfang, Valkyrie is mighty, if written correctly.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I meant to edit my post to add a few forgotten points and it wound up duplicating the first. But at least the added parts are there. Sorry. :oops:
Sidious

Re: The Bio-Electric Fury of... no wait

Post by Sidious »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:15 pm Image
I love this pic. now I want to read Peter David's X-factor.
Jabroniville

Mercurio

Post by Jabroniville »

MERCURIO THE 4-D MAN
Created By:
Gerry Conway & John Buscema
First Appearance: Thor #208 (Feb. 1973)
Role: Alien Menace
PL 10 (174)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Alien Conqueror) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+3)
Technology 3 (+7)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages: 
Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]
Power-Lifting 1 (12 tons) [1]
Immunity 3 (Heat, Cold, Radiation) [3]

"Fireball" Blast 11 Linked to Snare 11 (Feats: Reversible, Dynamic) (57) -- [61]
  • AE: "Wall of Flame" Blast 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (41)
  • AE: Create Ice Objects 10 (Feats: Innate, Dynamic) (22)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Elemental Powers +9 (+11 Ranged Damage & Affliction, DC 26 & 21)
Wall of Flame +10 Area (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Gramos's Power & Survival)- Mercurio often appears trying to save his homeworld, or developing weapons for it. He also wants to invade Earth.
Power Loss (Left & Right Sides)- Fire only comes from the right side of Mercurio's body, and ice from the left. So if one side is trapped or something, he'll only be able to use one power.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 75 / Defenses: 13 (174)

-Mercurio is a Thor character initially- the denizen of an alien world who has his consciousness projected into a wealthy Earthling in order to build a device that will save his planet "Gramos". He uses his energy-siphoning power to try and grab more of Thor's might (an initial taste turned him half-blue and gave him ice powers in addition to fire), but Thor & The Warriors Three defeated him. He later appears needing Thor's help to stop a being coming from a "God Jewel", which helps save Gramos, and then fights Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) after tricking him into building a galaxy-threatening weapon on Gramos. Later, Mark Gruenwald (who else?) used him as a background face in Quasar as one of The Stranger's prisoners. He was later killed during the Maximum Security "Event", blowing up after trying to absorb too much energy (he was trying to teleport himself back home). MC48 tells me he's turned up alive in the FlashVenom one-shot.

-And no, it has never been explained just what is "four-dimensional" about him- his home planet is still in the Milky Way Galaxy.

-Mercurio is yet another Ice & Fire-based guy (something I always thought was rare- it turns out there's LOTS of them, just only minor characters). He's tough enough to throw down with Thor or Captain America for a good bit of time, but still doesn't appear to be anything special. He CAN "use both powers simultaneously", which makes me think he's snaring & blasting guys, which is pretty nasty. So there's that.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Thialfi

Post by Jabroniville »

THIALFI
Created By:
Dan Jurgens
First Appearance: Thor #43 (Jan. 2002)
Role: Speedster
PL 8 (99)
STRENGTH[/b] 6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+12)
Expertise (God) 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)

Advantages: 
Equipment (Weapons +2), Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Intitiative 2, Move-By Action

Powers:
Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) [2]

"Speed Enow to Outrun an Arrow" Speed 8 (500 mph) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Weapons +8 (+8 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Asgard)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 15 (99)

Thialfi in Mythology:
Thialfi and Roskva are two mortal siblings who are servants of Thor, after Thialfi betrayed Thor's hospitality by sucking the marrow from the bones of a goat he'd eaten, thus making the creature lame in one leg when Thor resurrected them the following morning. In the "Utgard-Loki" story, Thialfi races against a being that is later revealed to have been Thought itself.

-Thialfi, a minor character in the myths, did not appear in Marvel until 2002, as Thor never really had need of a servant. He began life as a human boy who was orphaned by Viking brutality- Thor shamed Odin into helping the child, owing to the Gods' responsibility in the sins of their worshippers. Odin used the Odinforce to transform Thialfi into an Asgardian- the speediest of them all. Among Odin's orders were that Thor would take Thialfi as a close friend when the boy came of age- this happened when Odin died and Thor became ruler of Asgard. Tensions struck among some of the old guard over this, but Thialfi eventually proved himself. However, he was cast into a future-world ruled by a dictatorial Thor, and was killed by a guardian Wolf when he attempted to slay the Thunder God. The character has never reappeared.

-Thialfi is a decent fighter, but a background character and one-note Speedster.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:08 pm Yay, Valkyrie!

However, she quickly became a watered down version. While not immediately known to us fans, this was because she was not the true Brunhilde Valkyrie. That Barb-Val version was only about 1/12 of Brunhilde's 45 ton strength, hence little to no strength feats or major villain beat-up. However, the Barbara-Valkyrie did face the Hulk a number of times, took hits from the Hulk and jumped onto old Jade Jaws from awesome heights, fought the Executioner but eventually losing, stood up to Namor for one panel and even went up against a newly revived Wonder Man holding her own for a number of panels. I believe Barb-Val was in the 3.5 ton range at that time, same as Luke Cage, and she was about 5'9" 145 pounds.

Brunhilde-Valkyrie, the Valkyrie in full possession of her powers, is not only the strongest Valkyrie, but also the strongest Asgardian realm female, except for Hela and the Jane Thor. Brunhilde-Valkyrie stands 6'3" and weighs 475 pounds. She is much bulkier and has shown muscles, whereas Barb-Val was sleek and strong, no bulk, no muscles. I viewed Barb-Val like a two-armed Bionic Woman level of strength.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I meant to edit my post to add a few forgotten points and it wound up duplicating the first. But at least the added parts are there. Sorry. :oops:
Thanks for the help :). I gave her Power-Lifting for those bouts of lifting power, since she often doesn't give the impression of being in a higher tier- she feels more skillful than strong.
Jabroniville

Magni

Post by Jabroniville »

MAGNI (Magni Thorson)
Created By:
Dan Jurgens
First Appearance: Thor #50 (Aug. 2002)
Role: Future Son
Group Affiliations: Asgard
PL 13 (225)
STRENGTH
17 STAMINA 15 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Close Combat (Hammer) 1 (+8)
Expertise (Aesir) 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 9 (+12)
Perception 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Hammer) 2 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Lightning) 2 (+8)

Advantages: 
Benefit (Status- God), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hammer), Last Stand (Ignores Damage for 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Takedown, Ultimate Effort (Strength), Withstand Damage (Trade Defense for Toughness)

Powers:
"Immortal Aesir"
Power Lifting 5 (100,000 tons) [5]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 13) [14]
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]

"Mjolnir" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Indestructible, Restricted 2- Those Worthy) [49]
"Weather Control" Environment 6 (1,000 feet) (Impede Movement, Visibility) (12)
Movement 1 (Space Travel) (2)
Flight 1 (4 mph) (2)

"Lightning Bolt/Hammer Line" Damage 13 (Extras: Area-Line 120ft. +3) (52) -- (60)
  • AE: "Lightning" Blast 14 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Indirect- From Above, Penetrating 6) (37)
    AE: "Hammer Smash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (8)
    AE: "Hammer Throw" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Ranged 17) (24)
    AE: "Hammer Spin" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +18/+1/2) (29)
    AE: "Obscure Visuals" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extars: Attack, Area- 30ft. Burst) (8)
    AE: "Air Control" Move Object 16 (Flaws: Concentration) (16)
    AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 13 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (17)
    AE: Flight 11 (8,000 mph) (24)
-- (76 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Hammer Smash +8 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Hammer Throw +8 (+18 Ranged Damage, DC 33)
Lightning Bolt +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Lightning +8 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +16 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Asgard, Thor)- Magni is honor-bound to follow his father's will. However, he is learning to discover that Asgard is a dark place, and is bad for humanity.

Total: Abilities: 96 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 83 / Defenses: 15 (225)

Magni in Mythology: Magni is one of the sons of Thor and a Jotun, but basically doesn't do anything in the myths.

-Magni is one of those "Future Son" characters, coming from New Asgard in 2020, and is the son of Thor and the Enchantress. Appearing much like his father, he also descended to Midgard to help out mortals, as his father had done, despite his father's increasingly power-mad personality. He disagreed with Thor & Loki's treatment of mortals, but followed his father out of loyalty. However, he ultimately turned against Thor when some Asgardian rebels were executed, and under the tutelage of Sif, he gained control of Mjolnir. He challenged Thor to lift it, but Thor could not (as he'd executed Jake Olson years earlier)- Desak the God-Slayer attacked, and killed numerous Gods before Thor slew him- Thor realized how badly everything had gone, then went to the past to warn Thor not to kill Olson. Magni thus disappeared from existence. Despite comics' glorious and continued attempts to Spin-Off every single character 9000 times, we have never seen Magni again.

-Magni is essentially a less-skilled, PL 13 version of his father, with a lot less seasoning on him (and less experience with how to use the Hammer). However, he's stronger than Thor, so he's still incredibly-dangerous.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Mangog! Destroyer! Fenris! Valkyrie! Magni!)

Post by Ares »

If I remember my mythology correct, Magni's big deal was that he was vastly stronger than any other Asgardian, even his father.

There was a myth about one immense giant that fought Thor, supposedly the largest and mightiest giant of the time (he also may or may not have been some artificial construct made of stone). During the fight, the giant threw an immense stone at Thor, but Thor responded by throwing Mjolnir at the stone, smashing through the stone and caving in the giant's skull. Unfortunately, the immense giant fell on top of Thor, and was so heavy that even with his belt of strength he was trapped beneath it. The other Asgardians did everything they could to try and move the giant off of Thor, but couldn't budge it.

Then comes Magni, a young child at the time, who casually lifts the giant off of Thor's body, and berates his father for taking a nap underneath a fallen opponent. Magni was essentially to the Norse what Hercules was to the Greeks: the strongest guy around without question. And since he was just a kid in the myths, he seems like prime fodder for an Earth-based hero in the modern era.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.