Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Sidious

Re: Jab's Builds! (Fenris! Valkyrie! Magni! Absorbing Man! Fafnir!)

Post by Sidious »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:39 pm
Sidious wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:36 pm
danelsan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Have you considered using Jab's actual Godzilla build instead? it is not here yet, but I assume it is still available in the GR forum.
It's not for M&M...
Wait- I'm confused. How is the M&M Fafnir a basis for a Godzilla build in another system, and why would my Godzilla build not be a better one?
I just meant it's inspired me to use Fafnir as a basis for a Godzilla build in Marvel. I have stats for Fenrir, Marvel lost the Godzilla license long before the game came out. The two have remarkably similar powers. If only Marvel had defined heights for growth instead of the 10x, 20x 30x, etc stuff.
Sidious

Re: Jab's Builds! (Fenris! Valkyrie! Magni! Absorbing Man! Fafnir!)

Post by Sidious »

danelsan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:16 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:39 pmWait- I'm confused. How is the M&M Fafnir a basis for a Godzilla build in another system, and why would my Godzilla build not be a better one?
My understanding is that seeing your Fafnir build reminded Sidious of an existing sheet for Fafnir in faserip, which they intend to use as a basis for their Godzilla.
Bingo.

Gamers Guide #2 p 25 to be exact.

Same one I used to build Fenris, though I used the wiki to flesh him out a bit more since I want to have a throw down with him, cerberus, the chimera, hydra and Garm at some point (I have faserip stats for all of them and Fenris is actually the weakest of that bunch. I disliked it).
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Valkyrie! Magni! Absorbing Man! Fafnir! Loki!)

Post by Ken »

I sometimes wonder why someone whose name is pronounced "low key" isn't subtler.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ken wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 pm I sometimes wonder why someone whose name is pronounced "low key" isn't subtler.
Because his original nature is the personification of a forest fire, and they ain't all that subtle.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 pm I sometimes wonder why someone whose name is pronounced "low key" isn't subtler.
Ah, I see what ya did there. :P
Jabroniville

Sigyn

Post by Jabroniville »

SIGYN
Created By:
Roy Thomas & John Buscema
First Appearance: Thor #275 (Sept. 1978)
Role: Dutiful Wife of Loki
Group Affiliations: Asgard
PL 6 (53)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (God) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 1 (+2)

Advantages: 
Great Endurance

Powers:
Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Asgard)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 6 (52)

Sigyn in Mythology:
Sigyn is the dutiful wife of Loki the trickster. She is said to protect him from the snake venom that drips onto his face during his imprisonment, which is set to end at Ragnarok. Every time she empties the tray that catches the poison, venom drips in Loki's eyes- his howls of pain shake the Earth, explaining Earthquakes.

-Loki is such a mega-villain in the Thor books that I figure bringing in his wife might have been weird for the Silver Age creative team, though "Evil Villain; Beautiful Dutiful Wife" would have been CLASSIC Stan 'n' Jack. But it might have complicated matters, and we never saw Sigyn until 1978, with Roy Thomas's run on the book. She appears very, VERY rarely, only popping up for an arc here or there, and hasn't been seen since 1995. Loki is said to have admired her from afar, having her intended, Theoric, murdered. He then mimicked Theoric for their wedding, which under Asgardian Law, was nonetheless legit- Odin was furious, but Sigyn was all "well under the law we're married, so I have to be dutiful". She was made "Goddess of Fidelity", but Loki was banished from Asgard. Their two sons, Narvi and Vali, died young.

-When Roy Thomas finally wrote the "Loki punished by the Snake" punishment, Sigyn appeared in the book for the first time, doing the same thing she did in the myth (catching the venom in a tray). Loki quickly escaped, and frequently abandoned his wife, who would nonetheless still be loyal. One time, she accidentally killed Donald Blake (who'd been separated from Thor) while attempting to capture him as a pawn to help Loki escape another punishment, but created a clone instead. This is discovered, and Thor forgives her, realizing she meant no harm. The character has not reappeared since, skipping over Lady Loki and Kid Loki as concepts.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Stan and Jack were trying to do super hero comics, using a mythological figure. Roy Thomas was trained as an English and Literature teacher before he got into comics. He kept trying to go in and make the comics more faithful to the myths as they are known. As such, he'd do things like try to fit in the snake venom story.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Ken wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 am Stan and Jack were trying to do super hero comics, using a mythological figure. Roy Thomas was trained as an English and Literature teacher before he got into comics. He kept trying to go in and make the comics more faithful to the myths as they are known. As such, he'd do things like try to fit in the snake venom story.
Strangely enough, this is the same Roy Thomas who created Banshee...as a man during his run writing X-Men. Even Stan asked; "Roy does know Banshee's are female, right?"

Still, since Sean Cassiday is one of my favorite X-men...I'll forgive.
Jabroniville

Shawna Lynde

Post by Jabroniville »

SHAWNA LYNDE
Created By:
Doug Moench & Keith Pollard
First Appearance: Thor #314 (Dec. 1981)
Role: Love Interest
PL 0 (25), PL 3 (25) Saves
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Perception 1 (+3)
Treatment 5 (+8)

Advantages: 
None

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Donald Blake)- Shawna's nursed a crush on Blake for years.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (25)

-Shawna Lynde is one of those "mid-term Love Interests" that often get forgotten in the mix- between the 1960s "Generic Love Interest" chicks and the '90s-style "Permanent Love Intersest" types. Deb Whitman is another one of these. She's a med school classmate of Donald Blake's who had a secret crush on him, and once they became colleagues, she became a total Damsel In Distress for Donald/Thor to rescue. With a romantic interest in Thor, she began feuding with "Sybil", who was Sif in disguise, and when Thor dropped the "Donald Blake" identity entirely, Shawna grew worried about his disappearance. Then Fandral appears, says that Blake will never return, pays them some gold coins to pay his debts, and then MIND-WIPES them so they never remember his existence at all.

-Weird, WEIRD story arc. Equal parts "Generic '60s Girlfriend" and "WELP I'm out of ideas, so let's drop the status quo and completely erase all of the Secret Identity stuff!"
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Can you imagine waking up with a pile of gold, but no idea how you got it? It's like..."Who the hell did I rob? Prince John? Scrooge McDuck?"
Ken

Post by Ken »

Horsenhero wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 amStill, since Sean Cassiday is one of my favorite X-men...I'll forgive.
I preferred Parker Stevenson. Oh wait, that was the Hardy Boys. ;)

Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Ken wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:42 am
Horsenhero wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 amStill, since Sean Cassiday is one of my favorite X-men...I'll forgive.
I preferred Parker Stevenson. Oh wait, that was the Hardy Boys. ;)
Well, that would be Shaun Cassidy, not Sean Cassidy anyway. Nice callback to the teenage heart throb my sisters' room was wallpapered with (well, him and Leif Garrett).
Jabroniville

Hoder

Post by Jabroniville »

HODER
Created By:
Roy Thomas & John Buscema
First Appearance: Thor #274 (Sept. 1978)
Role: Blind God, Seer
Group Affiliations: The Asgardian Pantheon

Hodr in Mythology: Hodr is the blind God tricked by Loki into firing an arrow of mistletoe at Baldr, killing the most beloved of the Gods. He was thus slain by Vali, the son of Odin and a Jotun.

-Hoder is a blind, elder Asgardian God (the original myth seems to indicate a standard-age God), which brings to mind how aging works among these people- Thor & Loki are apparently ageless, but Odin looks hella-old, Volstagg is said to be past his prime, and then there's this guy. He's pretty much filler, but gains visions of faraway lands.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Re: Loki, God of Mischief

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:44 pm Image

And of course this, the finest example of a character-defining moment in a single panel, ever.
That was great, although my personal favorite Loki moment was in the final issue of Lost Gods (i.e. the book that replaced Thor during Heroes Reborn) where Loki appeared in the middle of a mega-battle between Set and all the asgardians after the big bad had turned him into a tree and delivered a genius speech about the fact that, against all odds, he's not evil just terribly bored of his fellow gods.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Absorbing Man

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm Image

I still love the 1960s "jailbird" pants.

THE ABSORBING MAN (Carl "Crusher" Creel)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey Into Mystery #114 (March 1965)
Role: Dumb Mook
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, The Lethal Legion
Absorbing Man is one of those great uncomplicated villains that we don't get enough of these days, just a guy with a unique power to challenge the hero for a one-off story. No big motivations about taking over the world, Creel is just a thug with some power who does whatever he wants. He's like the supervillain equivalent of an outlaw biker. His complications, rather than motive based, are all about his relationship with his wife, Titania, to whom Creel has always been incredibly devoted. They make an oddly adorable couple, which was one reason why their portrayal against Jane-Thor pissed people off.

Creel's also someone who, while never a genius, did know a thing or two about how to use his powers. Captain America noted while doing a write-up of Creel that he displays some "vicious cunning", supposedly once faking out Capt. America by pretending not to notice Steve sneaking up on him, so that when Steve tossed his shield at him to try and sucker punch him, Creel was able to absorb the shield's properties.

Creel's abilities to absorb things like the powers of his opponents or grow due to absorbing the size of large objects makes for an interesting opponent. I also agree that we need more heroes with this kind of power. The Amazing Man heroes in DC have it, but are little used, despite being a black hero. In fact, I was annoyed that the second Amazing Man was casually killed off, and rather than bring him back they just replaced him with a relative with the same powers.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.