Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hela! Red Norvell! Ymir! Thor Girl! JaneThor!)

Post by drkrash »

L-Space wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 pm
So for me, some bad some good, and I'm definitely glad I didn't read far enough to get to the Absorbing Man comic.
Didn't have to read far; it was only a few issues into the run.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Malekith

Post by Jabroniville »

MALEKITH THE ACCURSED
Created By:
Walt Simonson
First Appearance: Thor #344 (June 1984)
Role: Evil Sorceror-King
Group Affiliations: Svartalfheim
PL 12 (219)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 8 (+12)
Expertise (Dark Elf King) 10 (+14)
Expertise (Magic) 11 (+15)
Expertise (History) 2 (+6)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 4 (+12)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Artificer, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 4 (King of Svartalfheim), Improved Critical (Magic), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist

Powers:
"Asgardian Physiology"
Immunity 4 (Aging, Cold, Heat, Disease) [4]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]

"Magical Might"
Morph 4 (Any Form) (Extras: Attack) [24]
Teleportation 8 (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (32) -- [35]
  • AE: Blast 12 (24)
  • AE: Illusion (Vision & Hearing) 10 (30)
  • AE: "Mist Form" Insubstantial 2 Linked to Flight 4 (30 mph) (18)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Magical Blast +12 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +10, Fortitude +11, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Ruling the World)
Enemy (Asgard)
Weakness (Iron)- Iron is anathema to the Dark Elves. Being touched by it will instantly cancel Malekith's spells, and weapons forged from it are extra-painful.

Total: Abilities: 98 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 68 / Defenses: 14 (219)

-Malekith is a third-tier Asgardian villain who nearly plunged the Earth into an eternal winter after The Casket of Ancient Winters was destroyed. I find him rather goofy-looking and uninteresting ("oh, look! Another immortal Asgardian shapeshifting sorceror!"), though it was funny how he got killed by his own former minion, Kurse. He was sold by his own mother as an infant, ending up imprisoned by trolls, but a sorcerer trained him in magic. The sorcerer did so to help make peace in their realm, but Malekith was all "Hellz naw" because then the war that forged him would have been pointless. Then he killed the sorcerer. And then his mother.

-This led to Malekith's attack on Earth, which nearly killed everyone there from the vast winter the Casket unleashed. He was imprisoned, but later attempted to take control of Asgard by taking Baldur's place at a crowning ceremony- he was uncovered and slain by Kurse, his former minion. This was his last appearance for years, until The Incredible Hercules saw him attempt to have Hercules kill the Queen of the Dark Elves- he was beaten when Thor (disguised as Herc) saved the day, and Hercules (disguised as Thor) threw the fight, and proclaimed that "I have ALWAYS KNOWN that you were my superior!" He has appeared since then, usually as a sub-Loki manipulator out for himself- his modern appearances actually outstrip his past ones, especially now that he was the Big Bad of the second Thor film (the only one I haven't really felt like seeing).

-Malekith is essentially a PL 12 Mystic (he once got the drop of Loki, beat him up, and switched their appearances). He has your standard Magic Stuff, but doesn't really get enough play for an extended set of abilities. He's quite adept at changing the appearances of others, though.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Wow, I'm delighted so many people have commented on JaneThor- I knew that was gonna be a big one, which is why I made sure her "day" of posting was followed by a short-story bio and a guy I posted last year for the "K"s :).

It's interesting that we all have slightly different takes on things, but nobody's just shaking the rattler for their own gender or nothin'. Why, we're almost entirely civil!
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

While I like Thor, I wouldn't really care for JaneThor replacing Thor, but it was just handled so badly. I did enjoy reading the bio, though. I can only imagine what you'd have to say about Riri Williams if you ever get to her, though..Really, in my opinion, the more characters get statted, the better. Plus people can always use the builds of characters they don't like as punching bags or something.
HalloweenJack

Re: Harald Jaekelsson

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:35 am Image

HARALD JAEKELSSON
Created By:
Garth Ennis & Glenn Fabry
First Appearance: Thor Vikings #5 (Sept. 2003)
Role: One-Shot Villain
Why people let Garth Ennis write mainstream Marvel characters, I will never understand.
I actually liked Vikings. It wasn't just "OMG this guy sucks! Let's humiliate him!". It was....an actual story.

Now yeah it had the usual Ennisisms, and yeah Thor got his ass kicked, but he also came back from it and had a great moment at the end where Harald is badmouthing his allies about how he's beaten Thor again and how he'll kill them as well when they try and aid him.

And they're all "Uh no...he's Thor. He doesn't need our help" which leads to Harald turning and literally getting punched into orbit by the thunder god
Shock

Post by Shock »

The part about the whole JaneThor thing I like the least is how Thor, normally confident to a fault, suddenly becomes "unworthy" because Nick Fury (a mortal!) said something mean to him. Is that really all it takes?

OK, that and the Absorbing Man/Titania incident. :roll:
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Ah, Malekith...the villain who took "Marvel has bad villains in movies" to a new low. Seriously, if you've never seen Thor: The Dark World, consider yourself lucky. Easily my pick for the worst Marvel film to date (since 2008). I wasn't really extra fond of Malekith prior to that and now I can barely read his comic appearances without them being ruined just by name association.

Honestly I'm just not that fond of Malekith as a character on the whole, mostly because he's one of those villains who seems to be too smug and self-satisfied to be taken seriously given his background. I understand he's supposed to operate with a Joker-esque level of psychopathy, but it never quite hits for me.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

So... Eccleston... you didn't want to be typecast as The Doctor to avoid being typecast

and instead take such glowing roles as

a dark elf?

Or Destro?

How's that working out for you?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

The Dark Man

Post by Jabroniville »

THE DARK MAN
Created By:
Stephen Grant & Greg LaRocque
First Appearance: Thor #323 (Aug. 1991)
Role: Unstoppable Foe
PL 15 (215)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (History) 2 (+2)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 14 (+16)
Perception 4 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages: 
Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Axe) 2, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Immortal Being of Fear"
Regeneration 16 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [17]
Immortality 16 [32]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Senses 3 (Darkvision- Extended) [3]

"Dark Man's Axe" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [8]
Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 10) (12 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Axe +12 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +16, Fortitude +16, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Testing Others' Fear)- The Dark Man travels about, fighting and attempting to kill people- only if they refuse to give in to terror or childish emotions are they allowed to live.
Relationship (Desire- Wife)- The Dark Man's wife tests others' resolve against seduction, and tranforms the failures to stone.

Total: Abilities: 108 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 74 / Defenses: 10 (215)

-The Dark Man is a one-shot Thor foe who was meant more as a "Test of Valor" kind of thing than a real villain- he'd threatened both Odin AND Thor in the past, attacking them and trying to kill them, in order to terrify them and test their resolve. When Thor refused to back down against his unstoppable foe (decapitation was a minor inconvenience), and merely wished that his father know that he died without begging for mercy, The Dark Man allowed him to live. Odin, remembering his own brush with The Dark Man, refused the guy's gift of a horse, not wishing to ever deal with him again. He apparently has no relation to The Fear-Lords- he's just some guy who's obsessed with Fear, and may be testing all people throughout their lives. The Marvunapp bio's writer "really loved" this story, but the character has never reappeared.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

drkrash wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pm
L-Space wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 pm
So for me, some bad some good, and I'm definitely glad I didn't read far enough to get to the Absorbing Man comic.
Didn't have to read far; it was only a few issues into the run.
Wow really? My mind must of purged itself of such a horrible event because I have no recollection of it :lol:.
Formerly luketheduke86
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:38 am But yeah, like I said, none of this would be an issue (hell, Cho is what? The eighteenth Hulk now?) if Marvel hadn't done all of it at once, which is basically like holding out a flag and saying "HEY LOOK! WE'RE SO WOKE AND UPDATED!!! AREN'T WE AWESOME???? NEWSWEEK AND TUMBLR WRITERS, TELL US WE'RE AWESOME!!!" It's cloying and dumb.

Though I can sympathize with Marvel somewhat (though DC has this problem MUCH worse), in that if they debuted their universe TODAY, there'd probably be more of that diversity among the big names (that said, The Ultimates didn't really do much for that aside from Fury and Wasp, and Wasp kind of got forgotten about as a minority). But since they're going off of older stuff, and the older heroes are all that's popular, they're kind of stuck with Affirmative Action Legacy Characters.
That's kind of the issue with the attempting to add diversity to the old comics companies. There's no good way to go about it. If they do it all it once, it's wrong to one group. If they do it too slowly, then it's wrong to another group. If they stand pat, they'll REALLY hear how wrong it is. It's part of the sad legacy of the past that permeates American society as a whole, comics is just one small area. Nothing we can solve here, for sure.

What we can solve is getting Marvel to get Malekith more run outside of just Thor comics. I think Jason Aaron has done a fantastic job with Thor overall and one my favorite arcs was the one with Thor and The League of Realms that took on Malekith as he regained control of the Dark Elves. I didn't get him before that, and I certainly wasn't impressed with him in The Dark World, but I became a huge fan after that.

It should also probably be noted that the new Kurse is a female now as well. :)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Goldar

Re: Harald Jaekelsson

Post by Goldar »

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:10 pm
Ares wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:35 am Image

HARALD JAEKELSSON
Created By:
Garth Ennis & Glenn Fabry
First Appearance: Thor Vikings #5 (Sept. 2003)
Role: One-Shot Villain
Why people let Garth Ennis write mainstream Marvel characters, I will never understand.
I actually liked Vikings. It wasn't just "OMG this guy sucks! Let's humiliate him!". It was....an actual story.

Now yeah it had the usual Ennisisms, and yeah Thor got his ass kicked, but he also came back from it and had a great moment at the end where Harald is badmouthing his allies about how he's beaten Thor again and how he'll kill them as well when they try and aid him.

And they're all "Uh no...he's Thor. He doesn't need our help" which leads to Harald turning and literally getting punched into orbit by the thunder god
I like Vikings and Viking stories too.

Not to mention size, but, uhm, I don't think his sword is big enough. :lol:

And why does he have a face on his lower abdomen?
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Shock wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:30 pm The part about the whole JaneThor thing I like the least is how Thor, normally confident to a fault, suddenly becomes "unworthy" because Nick Fury (a mortal!) said something mean to him. Is that really all it takes?
The trick, as far as I understand, is that Fury wasn't talking to Thor, but to Mjolnir, since the other big point of this run is that the took Mjolnir implied sentience and ramped it up a lot. The general idea i s that many of Jane tricks with the hammer is actually her letting Mjolnir go nuts, whereas Thor kept the hammer on a short leash.
Plus there's the entire thing that Nick Fury is no longer a mortal, but some kind of semi-cosmic entity in the Watcher class of power.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Jormungand

Post by Jabroniville »

JORMUNGAND, THE MIDGARD SERPENT
Created By:
Stan Lee & John Buscema
First Appearance: Marvel Tales #105 (Feb. 1952)
Role: Monstrous Dragon
Group Affiliations: Asgard
PL 16 (332)
STRENGTH
23 STAMINA 20 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Asgard) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 9 (+12, +24 Size)
Perception 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Flames) 5 (+5)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
Growth 24 (Str & Sta +24, +24 Mass, +12 Intimidation, -12 Dodge/Parry, +6 Speed) -- (384 feet) (Feats: Innate) [49]
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 31) [35]
Immunity 8 (Aging, Cold, Heat, Disease, Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) [8]

"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]
"Fits Around the Earth" Elongation 10 [10]

"Sea Creature"
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
Swimming 8 (60 mph) [8]
Movement 2 (Slithering, Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [4]

"Flame Line" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 1000ft. Line +6) (105) -- [111]
  • AE: "Flame Breath" Blast 25 (Feats: Increased Range 5) (Extras: Penetrating 16) (71)
  • AE: "Flame Breath" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 1000ft. Cone +5) (90)
  • AE: "Giant-Size Smash" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (45)
  • AE: "Ethereal- Around the Earth" Insubstantial 4 (20)
  • AE: "Poison Bite" Weaken 17 (Extras: Progressive +2) (51)
  • AE: Illusion (Visual & Hearing) 10 (30)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+23 Damage, DC 38)
Poison Bite +9 (+17 Weaken, DC 27)
Flame Area +15 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Flame Breath +5 (+25 Damage, DC 40)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +24 (+16 Impervious), Fortitude +20, Will +10

Complications: 
Disabled (Animal)- Jormungand cannot use his giant limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Enemy (Thor, Asgard)- Thor is destined to slay Jormungand, and is thus the only creature Jormungand fears.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 238 / Defenses: 32 (332)

Jormungandr in Mythology: The Midgard Serpent is the child of Loki and the Jotun Angrboda, and is so large that he's said to encircle the entire Earth. Once, Thor lifted part of it to the sky when it was disguised as a common housecat- this act terrified Utgard-Loki and his houseguests when Thor accomplished it. Another time, Thor lopped the head off of an ox and dredged Jormungandr from the bottom of the sea, but his boatmate cut the line out of sheer terror. When the Serpent releases its tail from its mouth, Ragnarok will begin- he and Thor are destined to slay each other in combat- Thor will slay Jormungandr, walk nine paces, and then fall dead from the serpent's venom.

-The Midgard Serpent is one of the greatest mythological monsters ever created, and is beautifully simple in execution: He's a snake so large that he encircles the entire Earth (note: Columbus did not discover the roundness of the Earth- pretty much EVERY culture that wasn't stupid as balls had this figured out centuries earlier). Jormungand's popped up a handful of times in the comics (reflecting two of the above fables), but the only one that really matters is the epic Simonson-drawn & written brawl that took place over an entire issue. Ol' Walt used nothing but SPLASH PAGES for the entire story (and this is pre-Image Comics, mind you), and Jormungand & Thor beat the absolute hell out of each other for the entire thing.

-Jormungand later returns from Hel, and is slain once more when Thor & Beta Ray Bill blast free from his stomach after he swallows the heroes. Morgan Le Fay later resurrects him to stall the Avengers when she adducts the Scarlet Witch in Kurt Busiek's legendary run on The Avengers.

-How tough is this guy? Well, in addition to being so large his body stretches over the HORIZON, Thor's last-ditch fatal strike that slew the beast proved fatal to himself, and vaporized his entire body. Yeah, this guy is so hardcore that Thor, the MOST POWERFUL HERO ON EARTH, was VAPORIZED just by killing the damn thing.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:12 am
Shock wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:30 pm The part about the whole JaneThor thing I like the least is how Thor, normally confident to a fault, suddenly becomes "unworthy" because Nick Fury (a mortal!) said something mean to him. Is that really all it takes?
The trick, as far as I understand, is that Fury wasn't talking to Thor, but to Mjolnir, since the other big point of this run is that the took Mjolnir implied sentience and ramped it up a lot. The general idea i s that many of Jane tricks with the hammer is actually her letting Mjolnir go nuts, whereas Thor kept the hammer on a short leash.
Plus there's the entire thing that Nick Fury is no longer a mortal, but some kind of semi-cosmic entity in the Watcher class of power.
Well that's dumb.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.