Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Bor! Angela! Sera! Ragnarok! Gorr! Cul! Hercules!)

Post by Jabroniville »

One thing I notice about the Olympian builds versus the Asgardian ones... is how little's been done with them since I last built these characters. In March of 2012, Hermes, Apollo, Athena, Hera, etc. have all been used about zero times each! I haven't even had to update the bios- I just go into more detail about what WAS there!

At least Thor's been a regular in books, as have his backgrounders- I even had plenty of new villains to build there! I had to build JaneThor, Cul, Bor, etc.!
Jabroniville

Cerberus

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImageImage

Damn guy looks different in every picture.

CERBERUS
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Thor #130 (July 1966)
Role: Greco-Roman Guardian of the Underworld
Group Affiliations: The Olympian Pantheon, Hades
PL 11 (167)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Guardian of the Underworld) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 11 (+11, +14 Size)
Perception 12 (+12)
Ranged Combat (Horn Blast) 5 (+10)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit (Status- God), Close Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 2 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
"Huge Size" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Flaws: Limited to non-STR & STA Increases) [6]

"Dog Form" Morph 1 (Canine or Humanoid) (Extras: Metamorph) [6]
"Canine Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Large Warhammer" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 2, Penetrating 6) (10 points)

"Helmet" (Flaws: Removable) [20]
"Horn Blast" Blast 12 (Feats: Split) (25 points)

"Dog Form" (24 points- Metamorphed to replace Weapons)
"Three Heads"
Enhanced Skills 2: Perception 2 (+14) (1)
"Poisoned Fangs" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split 2) Linked to Weaken Strength 6 (Feats: Split 2) (Extras: Progressive +2) (23)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Warhammer +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Teeth +9 (+12 Damage & +6 Weaken, DC 27 & 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Olympian Pantheon)- Cerberus is loyal to Pluto first and foremost, but also to Zeus, his rightful King.
Responsibility (Guardian of the Underworld)- Nobody gets in or out of Pluto's realm without Cerberus knowing about it.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 62 / Defenses: 11 (167)

Cerberus in Mythology: Cerberus (spoken with a hard "C" in original script and spelled more like "Kerberos", but generally a soft "C" these days) is among the most famous of Greek Monsters, being the three-headed Guardian of Hades' Realm. The offspring of Typhon & Echidna, the two greatest of all monsters, Cerberus was basically impossible to sneak by- a few game heroes tried it over the years nonetheless, including Hercules (who basically straight-up asked Hades & Persephone to "Borrow" Cerberus for one of his Labours, and they ceded to his request, so long as Herc didn't hurt him). He shares a role with the Norse hound, Garm. He's generally shown as having serpents for a tail and stuff, but this gets dropped in pop culture (much like how the Chimera usually has a third head only as a tail, and no Dragon's head like in "Dungeons & Dragons").

-Marvel's Cerberus has shown up a handful of times, as a giant dude who could take Doggie-form and use Magic Weapons and junk to fight guys like Thor and The Sub-Mariner. He's basically a Giant Mook that's really hard to bring down- the heroes generally defeat him, but it's never quite easy. In the "Avengers (vs) Olympus" story, Namor escapes Cerberus, but then Namor & She-Hulk take him out with a single double-team attack.

-Cerberus is PL 11 offensively, but only with that Warhammer of his (he generally fights in Humanoid form, and uses a Morph to switch forms. Since his Devices can't be used in Doggie form, he saves some points by losing them as a Metamorph and fighting with Dog powers). Generally he fights pretty hard, but the PL 12-14 crew of Thor & Namor can make short work of him once they get going. Good luck sneaking by him, though- he's +14 to Perception in Dog Form (the extra Heads help him out).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

fun fact

Kerberos means spotted in greek

yes Hades named his dog spot :lol:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

DARK REIGN:
-We finally get into what Hera's up to in our "Grand Arc", and she leads The Olympus Group against Hercules & Athena. There's some fun backstory by the GREAT Roger Buchemi, who is a REALLY underrated artist- his women are SCORCHINGLY HOT in a flawless sense- they barely have to show any skin to be attractive (though it helps in many scenes). Hera is a MILF Supreme, Athena is a tall, built Goddess, Hebe is girlishly hot, etc. To say nothing of Delphyne Gorgon. There's a nice bit where young Herc has to deal with the death of his mortal father, changing him forever. Most of this trade is by a weaker artist, though.

-Hera's group fights the Dark Avengers in an Event Crossover, while Herc, Athena & Cho escape to bring Zeus back from Pluto's Tartarus. Hera's group is a BIG-TIME assortment, including Typhon, Pluto, Delphyne Gorgon & the loser-y Huntsman.

-Ares gets a great line: "You have me confused with my hated SISTER, who lays with GIRLISH things like strategy and TACTICS." Herc trumps him later when he fights the Shade of his mortal form (who still talks in the old Lee/Kirby faux-Shakespeare), and starts SCREAMING about it- "We are from Ancient Greece! Three THOUSAND years before Shakespeare! IT MAKES... NO... SENSE!!!"

-There's some neat stuff in the Underworld, as Hercules defends Zeus against Pluto's Kangaroo Court, which is rather touching, especially since Zeus is being defended, despite STILL treating Herc like crap. Amadeus talks to his dead parents (and Ben Parker), realizing that *gasp* his sister is still alive! Except I don't think they ever really capped-off on that storyline, as it kinda got dropped later on.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

catsi563 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:36 am fun fact

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ken

Post by Ken »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:50 pm
catsi563 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:36 am fun fact

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Aphrodite

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage
ImageImage

... I can't find images from the "Hercules" issue where she's in a bikini.

FIXED. Thank you, Danelsan!

APHRODITE (aka Venus)
Created By:
Depends on who you ask, but probably Jeff Parker & Carlo Pagulayan
First Appearance: Depends on who you ask, but probably X-Men (vs) Agents of Atlas #2 (Nov. 2009)
Role: Greco-Roman Goddess of Love & Desire, Procreation, Beauty & Grace, Pleasure, Love Poetry & Song
Group Affiliations: The Olympian Pantheon
PL 13 (212)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Deception 7 (+12, +17 Attractive)
Expertise (Magic) 9 (+11)
Expertise (Goddess of Love) 13 (+15)
Expertise (History) 5 (+7)
Insight 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 9 (+14, +19 Attractive)

Advantages:
Attractive 2, Daze (Persuasion), Fascination (Persuasion), Ranged Attack 2, Ritualist

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 2 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Emotion Control" Affliction 13 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Cumulative, Area- 120ft. Burst +3) [65]
"Empathy" Mind-Reading 12 (Flaws: Limited to Emotions, Limited to Love) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Emotion Control +13 Area (+13 Affliction, DC 23)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +9, Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Olympian Pantheon)- Aphrodite is loyal to Zeus.
Relationship (Hephaestus)- The two are married, though she hates her hideous dolt of a husband, and clearly and openly cheats on him.
Relationshp (Ares, God of War)- Aphrodite & Ares have engaged in a torrid affair off-and-on for millennia.
Responsibility (Goddess of Love)- Aphrodite is much like love itself- passionate, contrary, painful and often nonsensical. She is prone to wild crushes, infidelity and great wrath when rejected, yet she truly BELIEVES in love, and has done great acts of kindness in the name of love (such as turning Pygmalion's beloved statue into the human Galatea).

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 84 / Defenses: 11 (212)

Aphrodite in Mythology: Aphrodite is among the most famous and notable characters in Greek Mythology, with some of the most interesting and famous stories. She famously had a torrid affair with Ares (The Greeks had a sense of irony and common sense by mating Love with War), even being caught in the act by Hephaestus (who failed an Awareness Check and actually made his wife a Cestus that would allow her to seduce ANYONE). She helped kick off the Trojan War by giving Paris the greatest bribe in HISTORY- marriage to the most beautiful women in the world- in order to win the contest of vanity between her, Hera & Athena (seriously- the Goddess of WISDOM didn't think to assume the human thought using his boner?). The woman also fell in love with Adonis and others (losing Adonis to a boar sent by a jealous Ares). But yeah- I LOVE that whole metaphor about the Love Goddess being ultimately mercurial, heart-breaking evil one second and stunningly kind the next. The Greeks were freaking POETS, ya know?

-Aphrodite's a truly minor Marvel character, showing up from time-to-time in stories with Hercules, and often in varying roles (antagonistic selfish woman or normal victim of bad people), as befits a member of Greek Mythology. Lately, she's turned up hating on the Agents of Atlas, namely because Venus of that team actually thought she WAS the Goddess for many years (since Marvel takes the Greek/Roman names at random for the various characters, they're explicitly the same people- Marvel finally split the two characters up, making it unclear when Aphrodite's first appearance actually WAS now- the original Venus was a '50s comic character that disappeared by the Silver Age), and Aphrodite's kind of selfish that way.

-The Aphrodite that appears in The Incredible Hercules is more akin to her "mythical" version- vain, arrogant, hedonistic and utterly bored with all the dramatic things going on in the world. She pouts at virginal Athena's boring nature and almost has sex with her attendants in front of Amadeus Cho, who is reluctantly dragged away by the annoyed Goddess of Wisdom. She does offer to help the heroes by stalling Ares from intervening. She recovered a bit after actually MEETING Venus, and decided to change her ways. So of course since this is comics, expect her to be reverted to normal by her next appearance.

-Aphrodite's curious in that she's a TERRIBLE fighter (you know you suck when a regular human can kick your ass in "The Iliad") with some still-superhuman stats, and a VERY one-note, super-powerful ability. Though recent depictions have her without it, classic Marvel showcases her using the Cestus, a magical girdle (Greeks had a mad-on for those things apparently) that makes everyone who sees her fall in love with her. Recent events in Hercules have her giving up her godhood after a singing contest (of sorts) with Venus of the Agents of Atlas, and she gave the Cestus (now looking like a little waist-cloth), so I'm not sure where her Emotion Control aspect comes from. It's the only remotely PL 13 thing about her, as otherwise she's stuck to Ritual magic or her laughable fighting skills (+5 isn't BAD, but really, for a Greek God it's low). But still, it's a good trick. She's enough of a petulant brat to 'only' have 6 in Charisma, but two ranks in Attractive should easily make up the difference.

Divine Offspring:
With Ares: Anteros (God of Reciprocal or Unrequited Love), Phobos (God of Fear), Deimos (God of Terror), Eros (God of Sexual Love), Himeros (God of Desire), Harmonia (Goddess of Harmony), Pothos (God of Sexual Longing)
With Adonis: Beroe (Goddess of the City Beroe)
With Hermes: Hermaphrodite (God of Effeminacy)
With Dionysus: Iakkhos (God of the Eleusian Mysteries), Priapus (God of Garden Fertility- His wang was ENORMOUS)
With Poseidon: Rhodos (Goddess of the Island of Rhodes)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Gorr! Cul! Hercules! Hippolyta! Aphrodite!)

Post by Davies »

Okay. When Venus was introduced in the late 40s, she was pretty clearly intended by her creator (Bill Everett, the creator of Namor) to be the actual deity come to Earth. And when he wrote her teaming up with the Sub-Mariner in the 70s, she was still portrayed as the actual deity. And when she made a brief appearance in the Avengers in the 80s, she made reference to those events. I believe the idea that she wasn't the actual Venus/Aphrodite appeared in Marvel: The Lost Generation, but it's also possible that when the Agents of Atlas were created the author just ignored everything that had gone before in order to make Venus into a completely different character that suited his needs.

So Venus and Aphrodite were always the same person, until they weren't.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, they were clearly the same, but I think SOMEBODY must have pulled rank, because in The Incredible Hercules, Aphrodite is enraged over Venus "pretending to be ME!" and then a crossover between the two books revealed the true nature of Venus: https://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab-s ... post175053
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

IIRC the Marvel versions of Deimos and Phobos were actually born to Nox who slept with Ares while disguised at Venus.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:23 pm Yeah, they were clearly the same, but I think SOMEBODY must have pulled rank, because in The Incredible Hercules, Aphrodite is enraged over Venus "pretending to be ME!" and then a crossover between the two books revealed the true nature of Venus: https://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab-s ... post175053
:evil: <holds up giant "THIS Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things!" sign>
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I am a cesspool of useless knowledge. Some people think of it as being 'too smart'.. sometimes it's just painful.

Hebephilia is the strong, persistent sexual interest by adults in pubescent (early adolescent) children (especially those showing Tanner stages 2-3 of development), typically ages 11–14. Hebephilia differs from pedophilia,[1] which is the strong, persistent sexual interest in prepubescent children.[2][3][4] It also differs from ephebophilia, the strong, persistent sexual interest in later adolescents, typically ages 15–19.[1][5]

So.... eww.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I also just came across this, just in case Jab ever gets to the Egyptian gods.

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
danelsan

Re: Aphrodite

Post by danelsan »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:09 pm ... I can't find images from the "Hercules" issue where she's in a bikini.
This one?

Jabroniville

Re: Aphrodite

Post by Jabroniville »

danelsan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:09 pm ... I can't find images from the "Hercules" issue where she's in a bikini.
This one?

INDEED.