World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Fyirwhrx! Nero! The Beacon! The Scarab and the Ankh!

Post by Davies »

Author's Note: Character created by Jalinth!

Zalman

Born into a coven of necromancers, there was little hope that Zalman would have a normal life. His early years were filled scenes of horror he accepted as normal. The walking dead were as familiar to him as livestock to a farm child. When other children would be learning to milk a cow, Zalman was being given lessons in how to strip the lifeforce from the cow and consume it. His pets were the skeletons of animals that he animated.

Even ignoring the dark magics in use, the coven was a poisonous place. Scheming and backstabbing was constant. The dozen members were only united by fear of other mages. If not for the threat of the other covens and circles in the area, the coven would have broken into open fighting many times over. As the youngest person in the coven who was not expressly there for experimentation, a great deal of effort was spent by each of the members to bring the boy into their shadow. He was young and talented. Brimming with potential, but not strong enough to be a threat. A perfect apprentice.

Zalman quickly learned how dangerous this could be. Anytime he got to close to someone, another would take steps to drive them apart. Sometimes violently. Even Zalman's parents acted in this manner, and soon Zalman viewed them as just two coven members. No different then any of the others.

The boy learned to walk a perilous path. By alternatively showing favor and disdain to each of the 12, he was able survive. It was a delicate balance, and there were numerous times when Zalman feared for his life, and not only from those with whom he was not in favour. Apprentices were viewed as both as students and as experimental subjects. Any time a mage believed he had perfected a rite of personal enhancement before using it on himself, the final test was always to see how young Zalman responded to it. During this time he learned all he could, taking lessons from each covener in turn. Always hiding just how much he had learned. If he became too powerful, he would be a threat not an asset.

The value of power was driven home when Zalman was thirteen. The man who had sired him wished to use his spawn for yet another experiment, one that Zalman knew was flawed and would probably kill him. All his efforts to convince his father of the dangers only enraged the proud man. He ordered one of his undead servitors to seize the boy and drag him to the ritual circle. Zalman promptly countermanded the order, and forced the mighty zombie to launch a ferocious attack on its erstwhile master. His father only survived by the narrowest of margins, and only because Zalman felt some faint, lingering affection for the man. Zalman's status changed after that. He was no longer a test subject for dangerous experiments or a prize to be won. Instead he became recognized as a true member of the coven, albeit a junior one. The change suited him immensely.

Years passed, and Zalman found himself growing bored. He felt there was nothing more he could learn here, and the others were growing more and more concerned with his power. He decided to leave, and seek power elsewhere. One bright day after a particularly grueling ritual, Zalman broke into the various secret places of the others and stole the most valuable and useful tools. To prevent pursuit, he delivered the location of the coven's lair to a nearby chapter house of the Order of the Ashen Stake. Even if they survived the visit by those zealous vampire hunters, the coveners would be in no condition to pursue him.

Wandering from place to place, Zalman added to his power through means fair and foul. In some places he seduced his way into the trust of a teacher, in others he simply took what he wished. In all cases, he moved on when he felt there was nothing more for him to learn. This behavior would catch up with him, and eventually Zalman was forced to flee for his life. He had made too many enemies, caused too much pain, and burned too many bridges. There was nowhere in the world he could hide for long.

Realizing this, he decided the only thing to do was to go to another world. His studies had revealed the existence of other realities, and the means by which to travel to them. He searched for a world where he could further his quest for power, and perhaps come to rule. When he came to Earth-Prime, Zalman expected to continue as he had in the past. The problem was there were far fewer true practitioners of the art and those that there were tended to be more powerful than he had heretofore known.

Soon Zalman was in a bad position. The locals were far harder to fool, and those he could often had no actual usable arcane knowledge. Many he took to be powerful adepts proved to be amateurs with no awareness of the true nature of the power they wielded. Even more infuriating was the fact that most had their power handed to them on a silver platter. No years of dangerous study, just one random event and they had the power of an archmage. Still, Zalman was lucky and adaptable. He probably would have managed to carve himself a comfortable niche if he had not crossed paths with a young witch calling herself Seven.

The two fought on a number of occasions. Zalman had the advantage of power and ruthlessness, but Seven had near as much power, and allies she could trust. More often then not, Zalman was forced to retreat in the face of certain defeat. It was not these successive defeats that shook Zalman's world view, but rather Seven herself. Finding someone stronger not a surprise, but how she seemed to live with that power was... unsettling. Her companions were trustworthy. Her teachers were friends. Power for her was not a goal, but rather a means to an end, and the end was not personal comfort. It was contrary to everything he had ever known. On his home world even those who defended the weak ruled them.

The young necromancer became obsessed with figuring out what made Seven tick. Their battles gradually became less contests of power, and more philosophy discussions punctuated with mage bolts. Ever the eager student, Zalman would experiment with altruism, stopping some super-villains even tough they were not directly in his way. He even helped Seven stop a particularly nasty extra-dimensional entity from entering the dimension. In the wake of that incident, he gave up on the darker aspects of his repertoire, instead calling on the more wholesome elemental powers he mastered during his long wanderings.

Eventually, Zalman decided that Seven could truly be right and so he allowed himself to be defeated. Surrendering to Seven, he was stripped of his dark tools and sent to Blackstone. He spent three years there before he was released on probation, into the company of Project Freedom in April of 2008, where he became one of the linchpins of what was known as "the B-Team", alongside Charlie Graham. Though Harriet Wainwright was suspicious of the magic that he wielded, distrusting all sorcery no matter how supposedly wholesome, she gradually grew more accepting as time passed.

Zalman had truly changed, and he showed it most clearly in the way that he unleashed the totality of his magic against the forces of the Terminus, sacrificing his life to buy the lives of his friends and companions. Yet for a necromancer, death is merely a stepping stone, and though Zalman had forsaken most of those powers, they had not forsaken him. He slowly crawled back from what lay beyond over the course of four years, and elemental beings appeared on Earth-Prime to herald his eventual return, in a ritual that involved the members of Project Freedom.

There was a price for such magic, however. When he drew the first breath of his second life, he realized that the magical power he had always relied upon was gone. All of it had been consumed by the spell of resurrection, and now he was only a man with the knowledge of a mage, instead of the potency. Yet he was alive, and surrounded by true friends, and he was satisfied with this outcome.

Within a year, though, things changed dramatically. As the role of Master Mage fell vacant, he knew -- who better? -- that this meant dark tidings for his adopted world. And the man that Zalman had become was not satisfied with simply warning his friends of the rising malevolence. He would have to find a way to stand with them against it. So began his quest to regain what he had given up, learning the magics of Earth-Prime.

He is, again, a quick study, even if one who no longer seeks power for its own sake, or for his own comfort. Where before he abandoned his mentors without a backward glance, now he seeks to build a network of contacts and allies that recapitulates, to some degree, the pattern of the wards that shields the world from the darkness beyond. His name is now often mentioned among those who practice the arts for righteous reasons, and some wonder whether this traveler from another world might become the next Master Mage.

Zalman regards such gossip as an absurdity -- how could someone touched by the darkest of dark arts possibly become reality's champion? No, he seeks merely to take care of matters until those who decide such things make their choice. It will not be him.

Unless, of course, it is.

Zalman -- PL 11

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 4 | AGL 1 | DEX 1 | FGT 8 | INT 2 | AWE 3 | PRE 3
Powers: Aegis of Abbridon (Sustained Impervious Protection 10), Magic (Array: Ranged Affliction 14 [Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized), Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Affects Incorporeal 2, Indirect, AP: Environment 6 [4 points of effect], Selective, AP: Ranged Damage 14, Indirect, Variable 2 [magic], AP: Nullify Magic 10, Broad, Simultaneous, Precise, AP: Move Object 14, Precise, Subtle, AP: Burst Area Affliction 7 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Transformed), Progressive, Selective, Limited to Blanking Recent Memories, AP: Remote Sensing 8 [Vision], No Conduit, Dimensional 3, Subtle), Mystic Senses (Senses 6 [acute magic awareness, vision counters magic concealment, vision counters illusion]), Wings of Fire (Flight 3), Wisdom of the Dead (Enhanced Advantage 1 [Eidetic Memory]).
Advantages: All-out Attack, Eidetic Memory, Contacts, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fearless, Improved Critical (Storm of Ghorummaz), Languages 4, Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Ranged Attack 7, Ritualist, Second Chance 2 (Expertise: Magic, Intimidation).
Skills: Deception 5 (+8), Expertise: Life Sciences 2 (+4), Expertise: Magic 18 (+20), Expertise: Military 4 (+6), Expertise: Philosophy 2 (+4), Insight 10 (+13), Intimidation 12 (+15), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 10 (+13), Persuasion 5 (+8).
Offense: Initiative +1, Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 2), Storm of Ghorrummaz +8 (Ranged Damage 14, Indirect, Crit 19-20), Grasp of Ghorrummaz +8 (Ranged Affliction 14, Resisted by Dodge, Indirect), Mists of the Modrossus -- (Burst Area Will 7).
Defense: Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 14/7, Will 14.
Totals: Abilities 48 + Powers 70 + Advantages 19 + Skills 36 + Defenses 22 = 195 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Friendships. Reputation. Temper.
Last edited by Davies on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:06 pm Davies, I forgot to commend you on getting Robin's daughter's name right. I think I only mentioned her mother's name once or maybe twice.
But this happened much more recently. ;)
Shock wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:05 pm
Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 2:49 am A part of me hopes that Songbird would wind up a single mother after an encounter with Herc. Not to mention the drama that would cause (I'm sure Herc would want to take the kid back "home" and that wouldn't likely go over well), but it would technically make Charlie and Robin family.
Oh man that would be funny. I can just imagine the adventures little Caroline and her Auntie Charlie would get into.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:07 pm
Shock wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:06 pm Davies, I forgot to commend you on getting Robin's daughter's name right. I think I only mentioned her mother's name once or maybe twice.
But this happened much more recently. ;)
Shock wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:05 pm
Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 2:49 am A part of me hopes that Songbird would wind up a single mother after an encounter with Herc. Not to mention the drama that would cause (I'm sure Herc would want to take the kid back "home" and that wouldn't likely go over well), but it would technically make Charlie and Robin family.
Oh man that would be funny. I can just imagine the adventures little Caroline and her Auntie Charlie would get into.
Heh. My long term memory is better than my short term. I understand that's one of the perils of aging ;}
Shock

Post by Shock »

AP: Burst Area Affliction 7 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Transformed), Progressive, Selective, Limited to Blanking Recent Memories
That one's new. And a little scary.

I think my favorite Zalman memory is the horror Wainwright felt at realizing he was B-Team's moral center.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:45 pm
AP: Burst Area Affliction 7 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Transformed), Progressive, Selective, Limited to Blanking Recent Memories
That one's new. And a little scary.
Mists of the Modrossus, from Power Profiles: Magic Powers.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I've spent way too much time the past couple of days trying to decide if Robin would put nanites in her daughter.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

You're assuming they didn't just transfer over in the womb.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:55 am I've spent way too much time the past couple of days trying to decide if Robin would put nanites in her daughter.
Well, you have until the timeline reaches 2017 and she's old enough to join Seven-Up (the aforementioned group of elementary school kids with superpowers) to figure it out, and Arkrite is right that the decision might be out of Robin's control.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Shock wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:45 pm I think my favorite Zalman memory is the horror Wainwright felt at realizing he was B-Team's moral center.
Hard to believe but Zalman was normally the most calm and collected member of the team. Not only that but he was also the one of two team members who got along with pretty much everybody.
Who would have guessed that the terrifying necromancer, responsible for the deaths of of so many, would wind up being everybody's trusted confidant?

Though my favorite memory is every time that Zalman had his magic negated.
Because every time the bad guys expected an easy victim and he immediately knocked somebody on their ass against all odds.

Actually the dice just seemed to love Zalman, it always felt like we had a PL15 monster on the team. ;~)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Jalinth is having some issues logging into the boards at the moment.
He asked me to pass along that he has read the writeup on Zalman and he quite likes it.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:54 am [Jalinth] asked me to pass along that he has read the writeup on Zalman and he quite likes it.
:D
Davies

Post by Davies »

Author's Note: This character created by Tattooedman.

Donnie Benis, aka Curve

Growing up in the Fens, crime was the only way Donnie Benis could support his sick mother who had been left years before by his father. One night, sixteen year-old Donnie was trying to break into a house when he was caught by the owner, Nicolas "Nico" Pizaro. Nico easily caught the teenager and quickly tied him up, then asked him why he was thinking, trying to break into someone's house. After Donnie explained why he had tried to rob Nico the older man felt a surge of pity for Donnie and then offered to teach him the real way to break into places to rob.

Nico Pizaro was a semi-retired cat burglar and he took Donnie under his wing to pass on the old-time skills of burglary. As Nico looked at it the older generation of crooks had a certain class to them -- not like the kids today, who were all about guns and violence, a road that led nowhere. He could tell that Donnie had the mentality to make good use of these skills. Donnie was doing crimes to take care of his family, and that makes a man careful -- something every good burglar needs to be.

For about six years, Nico taught Donnie everything he knew about breaking and entering, from mental training to take notes on the layouts of buildings to physical training to be able to climb, shimmy, and crawl through the most obscure possible ways into a building. Then Nico finally died from his cancer he had been quietly suffering from, the reason he had chosen to retire. Donnie was heart-broken but he knew that Nico would want him to go on with his life.

For several years thereafter, Donnie's life was that of a successful burglar. He spent about half the year planning jobs and then pulled them off with a small crew (or sometimes alone) and lived off the swag. Then on a solo second-story job his climbing line broke. As he fell Donnie fell something swell up inside him. The next thing he knew he was hovering in mid-air, three stories above the ground. He finished the job and over a few months played with his new found powers to see what he could do.

He soon moved up to superhuman crimes, though he kept them to basic robbery still, he didn’t want to rule the world he just wanted to do his chosen job and be able to retire. So being able to break into a jewelry store and fly away faster than any cop car could follow was a great back up plan. Then Johnny Rocket happened upon him. Donnie quickly found himself matched for speed, and he hadn’t really used his other abilities enough to be much of a serious threat to the speedster.

(It should perhaps be noted that Johnny Rocket remembers this in a somewhat different fashion. He found Donnie to be the first person who'd ever forced him to 'redline' his speed in order to keep up, was further challenged by Donnie's complete three-dimensional maneuverability, and was also forced by Donnie's protective force field to use especially clever tactics to capture him rather than the rapid-fire punching he'd relied on to that point. The complexity of the encounter left him gasping when it was finally over. And that was when they were both much slower than they are now.)

In the end Donnie went to jail, but he wasn't too upset about it, after all if your gonna take the chances doing what he did for a living you’d better be ready to pay the price for getting caught. In the five years after his capture and conviction Donnie realized that the life of a professional thief doesn't normally end too well. Nico had been the exception, and even he'd been a profoundly lonely man. The birth of a daughter, Mallory, to his then-time girlfriend was a huge deciding factor for him.

Released into the custody of Project Freedom, Donnie found himself one of the B-Team's stalwarts. Called on to do things that were well outside his areas of expertise, caught in the never-ending emotional hurricanes of the rest of the team, he soldiered through supported by coffee, the occasional cigarette, and the love of his little girl. On the team's final mission in the Terminus, he lost an arm to Madrigal Martinet's Kordion blade, but sent the Annihilist through several walls with a kinetic blast, taking her out of the fight.

He accepted his pardon in his hospital bed, where he also learned that a job with a security firm had been arranged for him by the late Harriet Wainwright. His lost arm was replaced by a prosthetic, and then by the first bionic limb manufactured by SaneTech. By 2011, he had developed a good enough reputation as a security consultant that he was able to start his own firm, which soon counted a number of very high-paying clients in its roster -- most notably Claremont Academy, where Mallory was starting to study on a scholarship.

While he doesn't go looking for trouble as some of his fellow members of the Project do, he hasn't been able to avoid it when it comes looking for him. His work in security has seen him facing off with some serious threats, especially during the darker days of the Grant Administration. Now that that's over, things are starting to look up a bit, but on the other hand his baby girl is now a teenager -- with powers!

Donnie Benis -- PL 12

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 2 | AGL 3 | DEX 5 | FGT 8 | INT 0 | AWE 3 | PRE 0
Powers: Cyber-Arm (Strength-based Damage 2), Force Field (Sustained Impervious Protection 11), Hover (Flight 1), Kinetic Energy Manipulation (Array: Enhanced Flight 15, Dynamic, DAP: Ranged Damage 15, DAP: Ranged Multiattack Damage 8, Accurate 3, Split Attack 3, DAP: Ranged Affliction 15 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Hindered and Vulnerable, Immobile & Defenseless), Extra Condition, Limited Degree, DAP: Selective Burst Area 2 Affliction 10 (Resisted by Dodge; Vulnerable, Defenseless, Prone), Instant Recovery, DAP: Selective Burst Area Affliction 6 [Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Hindered and Vulnerable, Immobile and Defenseless, Paralyzed and Mute], Concentration, Extra Condition, Reversible, DAP: Perception Range Move Object 9, Precise), Kinetic Senses (Senses 11 [accurate extended ranged radius detect movement, penetrates concealment, tracking).
Advantages: Equipment, Improved Initiative, Improvised Tools, Second Chance (Disable Device), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Taunt.
Skills: Acrobatics 5 (+8), Athletics 5 (+7), Deception 12 (+12), Expertise: Security 13 (+13), Expertise: Streetwise 12 (+12), Insight 10 (+13), Perception 10 (+13), Ranged Combat: KEM 4 (+9), Sleight of Hand 8 (+13), Stealth 10 (+13), Technology 7 (+7).
Offense: Initiative +9, Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 4), Kinetic Bolt +9 (Ranged Damage 15), Buckshot +15 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 8), Slow Mo Bolt +9 (Ranged Affliction 15, Resisted by Dodge), Trip Wave -- (Burst Area 2 Selective Affliction 10, Resisted by Dodge), Slow Mo Field -- (Burst Area Selective Affliction 6, Resisted by Dodge).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 8, Toughness 13/2, Will 10.
Totals:Abilities 46 + Powers 78 + Advantages 7 + Skills 49 + Defenses 23 = 203 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Family (Mallory). Job (security consultant).
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:52 pm but on the other hand his baby girl is now a teenager -- with powers!
He's been through the Terminus, how bad could it be? :twisted:
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:24 am
Shock wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:55 am I've spent way too much time the past couple of days trying to decide if Robin would put nanites in her daughter.
Well, you have until the timeline reaches 2017 and she's old enough to join Seven-Up (the aforementioned group of elementary school kids with superpowers) to figure it out, and Arkrite is right that the decision might be out of Robin's control.
My thinking was that Robin spent a lot of time achieving fine control over her nanites and she would be able to keep them out of the womb if she wanted. She'd then be faced with the choice of whether to use them to keep the baby healthy or keep them away with the thought that being connected to the Ultimans would be enough of a challenge for her daughter.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:52 pm
My thinking was that Robin spent a lot of time achieving fine control over her nanites and she would be able to keep them out of the womb if she wanted. She'd then be faced with the choice of whether to use them to keep the baby healthy or keep them away with the thought that being connected to the Ultimans would be enough of a challenge for her daughter.
It's your call.

In other news, have a (slightly) updated article from the ATT, describing the history of Centuria's homeworld.