Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Cho! Delphyne Gorgon! Nyx! Apollo! Athena! Zeus!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Other Olympian Gods, but usually more minor in scope:
Aeolus: King of the winds, keeper of the Anemoi, master of the seasonal winds.
Amphritrite: Queen of the Sea, wife of Poseidon.
Anemoi: Wind gods consisting of Boreas (north), Notus (south), Zephyrus (west), and Eurus (east).
Asclepius: God of Medicine & Healing. His staff still appears on Ambulances and Hospitals to this day. His children are Hygeia (Hygiene), Iaso (Medicine), Aceso (Healing), Aglaea (Healthy Glow) & Panacea (Universal Remedy).
Aura: Goddess of cool breezes and fresh air.
Bia: Personification of violence & force.
Circe: Minor goddess of magic, not to be confused with Hecate.
Deimos: God of terror, brother of Phobos.
Dione: Oceanid; Mother of Aphrodite by Zeus in Homer's version. 
Eileithya: Goddess of childbirth; daughter of Hera and Zeus.
Enyo: A goddess of warfare, companion of Ares. She was also the sister of Ares in some cases. In those cases, her parents are Zeus and Hera.
Eos: Personification of dawn.
Eris: Goddess of discord and strife.
Eros (aka Cupid): Winged youth who embodied erotic love (ie. wanting to bone others).
Ganymede: Cupbearer of the gods' palace at Olympus.
The Graces: Goddesses of beauty and attendants of Aphrodite and Hera. 
Harmonia: Goddess of concord and harmony, opposite of Eris, daughter of Aphrodite. 
Hebe: Goddess of Youthful Beauty. Betrothed to Hercules upon his ascension to Olympus.
Hecate: Goddess associated with magic, witches and crossroads. Expect a lot of modern-day Goths to be in love with her.
Helios:Titan; personification of the sun. 
Hestia: Sister to Zeus & company, but is the most minor Goddess in the stories- a generic Virgin Goddess who guards the Hearth & Home. She was well-worshipped, but rather boring.
The Horae (Hours): Wardens of Olympus.
Hypnos: God of sleep, father of Morpheus and son of Nyx.
Iris: Personification of the Rainbow, also the messenger of Olympus along with Hermes.
Kratos: Personification of power. 
Leto: Titaness of the unseen; the mother of Apollo and Artemis. 
Moirai: Goddesses of destiny and a lotters of fate, more powerful than Zeus.
Momus: God of satire, mockery, satires, and poets.
Morpheus: God of dreams. 
The Muses: Nine women of science and arts. Their names are Calliope (epic poetry, like The Iliad)), Urania (astronomy), Clio (history), Polyhymnia (hymns), Melpomene (tragedy), Terpsichore (dance), Thalia (comedy), Euterpe (song), and Erato (love poetry).
Nemesis: Greek goddess of retribution and revenge. 
Nike: Goddess of victory. This is where the shoe company got it's name.
Nyx:Goddess of night. Treated more like a Progenitor of all things- the darkness itself.
Paean: Physician of the gods. 
Perseus: Son of Zeus, slayer of Medusa, the legendary founder of Mycenae & The Persean Dynasty.
Persephone: The Queen of the Underworld, and symbol of the famous Abduction myth (and an explanation for winter). The Greeks feared her so much they never spoke her name out loud- she's called "Kore" (The Maiden) instead.
Phobos: God of fear, brother of Deimos.
Selene: Titaness; personification of the moon. 
Styx: Goddess of the River Styx, the river upon which gods swear oaths.
Thanatos: God of Death, sometimes a personification of Death. 
Theseus: Son of Poseidon, first Hero of Athens and slayer of the Minotaur.
Triton: Messenger of the Seas, Son of Poseidon and Amphitrite. He holds a twisted conch shell.
Tyche: Goddess of Luck. 
Zelus: Personification of Emulation & Rivalry.
Jabroniville

Lady Hellbender

Post by Jabroniville »

LADY HELLBENDER
Created By:
Greg Pak & Frank Cho
First Appearance: Totally Awesome Hulk #1 (Feb. 2016)
Role: The Best New Villain In Eons
Group Affiliations: None
PL 11 (132)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Space Lady) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Monsters) 8 (+11)
Intimidation 8 (+10)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 4 (+7)
Vehicles 3 (+5)

Advantages: 
Chokehold, Equipment 10 (Giant Spaceship), Great Endurance, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Super-Muscular" Power-Lifting 1 (200 tons) [1]

"Big Mace" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [3]
Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 3) (5 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Big Mace +8 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Gotta Catch 'Em All)- Lady Hellbender is a monster-collector, really.

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 11 (132)

-Lady Hellbender is pretty much just a collection of Frank Cho's favorite things to draw, which of course makes her the BEST NEW VILLAIN IN YEARS. She's a busty, angry, muscular amazon who controls an army of freakish monsters- what's not to love? She touches down on Earth and immediately starts fighting the new Cho-Hulk and Spider-Man. She does well at first, but Cho starts to lose his temper as the "Green" overwhelms him, and She-Hulk has to intervene to prevent him from killing the villain. Her ultimate plan is to capture Fin Fang Foom, which fails- she kisses Cho goodbye, promising to hump him later, because sometimes the writers can't help themselves. Not the GREATEST story arc, but somewhat amusing, and full of the kind of stuff that's kind of missing from a lot of comics.

-But really, I dig the design. Not just because she's totally busty and amazonian (though that's like 90% of it), but because she's distinctive- grey-skinned with red hair, and a big prominent scar on her lip- it sets her apart from the usual "Busty Amazons" out there.

-As a brand-new character, there's little to tell about Lady Hellbender other than that she's super-strong and can hold her own with a Hulk for a while. So basically Just Another PL 10-11 Powerhouse, needing that Mace in order to hit her maximum PL.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Apollo! Athena! Zeus! Ares! Lady Hellbender!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Okay, that's it for the Greeks! Next up- the other Pantheons!

Also- a little survey to gauge interest for potential future projects! Let me know why ones draw your interest:

1) Disney re-posts (it's actually been like five years! Which is funny, as the "Jab loves Disney" thing is a total gag now, but back then I was basically CONFESSING it to you all for the first time!)
2) Gargoyles re-posts (more than five years old)
3) Dinosaur re-posts (because this set is actually ANCIENT now- rivaling these beasts in age!)
4) Wolverine Builds (some new! Some of the older builds are AGES old, and I've been hesitant on posting many of the characters because I wanted to put them down as a "themed set")
5) South Park Builds (I think I've been semi-planning this for like three years :))
6) Contest of Champions re-posts (among the older Marvel characters I haven't touched in years)
7) Primal Rage (this one will include at least some notes on the second game that was unreleased)
8) Invincible Builds (the comic's almost ending)
9) RWBY Builds (I've found that BriarThorne is willing to do all the work in detailing the characters and powers. If anyone else wants to jump in and detail things for me, I can finally do this, even though I don't watch the show :))
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Herc:
-This is an interesting, if basic read. It essentially replaces the Herc/Cho show with "Hercules as a Human-level Gadget-User having Generic Hero Adventures", though I don't see it explained why Herc just went off on his own instead of sticking around with his best friend (who doesn't show up ONCE in all ten issues). He's a normal human with Olympian weaponry, lives in a Little Greece-type place, and fights Street Level threats like crimebosses, Hobgoblin (really? Phil Urich is now evil?) Kyknos and The Kingpin. He gets roped into "Fear Itself" AND "Spider Island", though the latter is much better than the former (a particular highlight is Herc as a Spider-taur having intercourse with Arachne the Spider-taur, while the X-Men are forced to listen, trapped in webs. Gambit's horrified cry of "BUT I CAN STILL HEAR THEM!" is hilarious). There's a nice little story where Hermes realizes the true heroism of current Herc after Zeus sends him to bring Hercules home, but it's annoying to see Nasty Hera & Nasty Zeus AGAIN after the Chaos War.

The real problem here is that once you lose the Cho & Herc team, the whole thing is kinda lost. Having a "regular old-fashioned" hero series (Homebase/Girlfriends/Real Life/Recurring Villains) kind of breaks what was so fun about the wacky adventures from the previous series. It's no real surprise that the whole thing was cancelled after ten issues- and expect to see Hercules back in his super-strong, Shakespeare-speaking form the next time a non-Pak/Van Lente type writes him- "Avengers Academy" already guest-starred one (where TIGRA of all people gives him a lecture on decent dress code- granted the dude WAS naked, but come on, Ms. Pot), and he was that way in "Mighty Avengers" too (which was ongoing at the same time his own series was).
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

I'd be inclined to Contest of Champions or Wolverine (in that order). I'm primarily a fan of comic book builds (and fighting game builds :)); most other series I just skim through. If I had to pick a non-comics series, I'd choose dinosaurs, because they're dinosaurs.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Contest of Champions.

There are some hilariously awful characters from that story that are just begging to be statted up.

Regarding Herc, did you read the most recent series by Dan Abnett? It sort of combined the two approaches, with Hercules having his godly strength back, but hanging out in New York with Gilgamesh as a roommate and fighting monsters. That lasted only six issues before whatever crossover came out at the time killed it, but there was a mini-series that followed that had Hercules teaming up with a bunch of other mythological heroes to do... something. THAT I only saw in trade and flipped through in the store, but I definitely saw Theseus present.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yojimbo wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:33 pm Contest of Champions.

There are some hilariously awful characters from that story that are just begging to be statted up.

Regarding Herc, did you read the most recent series by Dan Abnett? It sort of combined the two approaches, with Hercules having his godly strength back, but hanging out in New York with Gilgamesh as a roommate and fighting monsters. That lasted only six issues before whatever crossover came out at the time killed it, but there was a mini-series that followed that had Hercules teaming up with a bunch of other mythological heroes to do... something. THAT I only saw in trade and flipped through in the store, but I definitely saw Theseus present.
Interesting- I hadn't read the newer series, though I found the "man-bun" humorous ("Through the ages, this has been the hair of the samurai, the emperor, the philosopher. This is the hair of the man who is assured that he may draw from the herd at his leisure, to satisfy the noble aggression of his genital."). All I know is that he ended up on the Mark Waid Avengers as a bit of the odd man out (with no ongoing series or anything), almost more to add some muscle to the squad, which only has JaneThor as a powerhouse at the time.

So the first "Other Gods" are actually just The Exemplars, re-posted because the old ones were on RoninArmy, and I've decided that most builds should have their own posts, rather than just be thrown out as a Template. Especially as these guys are all rather different from each other.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Exemplars

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

THE EXEMPLARS
Created By:
Kurt Busiek, Howard Mackie, John Romita, Jr. & Roger Stern
First Appearance: Peter Parker: Spider-Man #1 (Nov. 1999)
Role: Uber-Powerful Villain, Forgotten Character
Group Affiliations: The Exemplars
PL 9 (85)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Startle, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 5 [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Destruction)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 11 (85)

-The Exemplars were created when a batch of Avengers & Spider-Man creative teams got together and came up with a kind of Cross-Over- eight beings known as the "Octessence" make a wager to see which of their number is the most powerful- each will empower a champion, and those champions will battle to the death. The only one we'd seen beforehand was Cyttorak's champion- the Unstoppable Juggernaut. All eight Exemplars shared a common bond- they all were frustrated at not getting what they wanted out of life.

-An increasingly-heroic Juggy managed to team up with Iron Man, Spider-Man & Professor X to split the Exemplars up and send them across the world. They would return, capturing him and threatening to execute him, but the Avengers broke it up with a massive team (adding Quicksilver, Spider-Man, Nova and Hercules to their full roster)- there was a titanic battle, with the heroes at first doing well because they could fight as a team, while the Exemplars could not (Cap baited Conquest into a punch from Wonder Man, while flipping into Carnivore, for example). However, the tide soon turned, as the vast power of the Exemplars won the day- Decay dumped a wall onto Spider-Man & Cap. Bedlam mind-blasted Scarlet Witch, Justice & Wonder Man. Tempest wiped out Firestar with a wind-blast. Conquest snatched Quicksilver as he ran by, slamming him through a wall. Inferno took out Nova & Giant-Man with a double-blast. Stonecutter took mental control of Iron Man's armor and threw him about. At this point, all seven Exemplars then dogpiled onto Thor & Hercules, the last fighters left- the narration makes it clear they might win against a couple Exemplars, or even FOUR... but seven? The heroes were all defeated save Captain America, who was able to convince the Exemplars that they were being manipulated- Bedlam mind-blasted the others into getting their original personalities back.

-With that, the Exemplars departed in order to "find out what to do next"... at which point we NEVER SAW THEM AGAIN, because none of the creators cared enough to come up with a new story, and no later creative teams could think of one, either. It doesn't help that most of them look dumb, like the creators KNEW they weren't being used again, and so didn't bother to make memorable designs.

-Their base Template is rather unimpressive, being PL 9 and low on points... however, that's just the BASIC set-up, which already makes them highly-durable and strong. Every one of them costs a lot more points than that, thanks to heavy-duty powers that exist way outside of the Template.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:39 pm Interesting- I hadn't read the newer series, though I found the "man-bun" humorous ("Through the ages, this has been the hair of the samurai, the emperor, the philosopher. This is the hair of the man who is assured that he may draw from the herd at his leisure, to satisfy the noble aggression of his genital."). All I know is that he ended up on the Mark Waid Avengers as a bit of the odd man out (with no ongoing series or anything), almost more to add some muscle to the squad, which only has JaneThor as a powerhouse at the time.
Abnett is a good author, even on his own, so the series was more enjoyable than the previous "no powers, magic gadgets" run. It was also much more serious, with Hercules' alcoholism being an important plot point, and the series ending with him going to a bar and ordering a drink.

It introduced a bunch of new gods for the 21st century - one guy was the god of information, I think, and looked a little like David Bowie - but also had Hercules fighting centaurs in Central Park and stuff.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Yojimbo wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:55 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:39 pm Interesting- I hadn't read the newer series, though I found the "man-bun" humorous ("Through the ages, this has been the hair of the samurai, the emperor, the philosopher. This is the hair of the man who is assured that he may draw from the herd at his leisure, to satisfy the noble aggression of his genital."). All I know is that he ended up on the Mark Waid Avengers as a bit of the odd man out (with no ongoing series or anything), almost more to add some muscle to the squad, which only has JaneThor as a powerhouse at the time.
Abnett is a good author, even on his own, so the series was more enjoyable than the previous "no powers, magic gadgets" run. It was also much more serious, with Hercules' alcoholism being an important plot point, and the series ending with him going to a bar and ordering a drink.

It introduced a bunch of new gods for the 21st century - one guy was the god of information, I think, and looked a little like David Bowie - but also had Hercules fighting centaurs in Central Park and stuff.
That fight with the centaurs was the only issue I've read so far and there was actually a pretty good moment when Herc pulls out a super-sleek assault rifle. One of the centaurs calls him out on being a coward and Herc just promptly tells him that he has fought for thousands of years armed with the best weapons the world had to offer (a spear in Ancient Greece, a longbow in medieval times etc.) so shut up. Granted earlier on we saw Herc's Walls of Weapons and he had literally any conceivable piece of military hardware imaginable, including pieces of Athena's wargear and a cosmic cube.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:21 am Herc:
-This is an interesting, if basic read. It essentially replaces the Herc/Cho show with "Hercules as a Human-level Gadget-User having Generic Hero Adventures", though I don't see it explained why Herc just went off on his own instead of sticking around with his best friend (who doesn't show up ONCE in all ten issues). He's a normal human with Olympian weaponry, lives in a Little Greece-type place, and fights Street Level threats like crimebosses, Hobgoblin (really? Phil Urich is now evil?) Kyknos and The Kingpin. He gets roped into "Fear Itself" AND "Spider Island", though the latter is much better than the former (a particular highlight is Herc as a Spider-taur having intercourse with Arachne the Spider-taur, while the X-Men are forced to listen, trapped in webs. Gambit's horrified cry of "BUT I CAN STILL HEAR THEM!" is hilarious). There's a nice little story where Hermes realizes the true heroism of current Herc after Zeus sends him to bring Hercules home, but it's annoying to see Nasty Hera & Nasty Zeus AGAIN after the Chaos War.

The real problem here is that once you lose the Cho & Herc team, the whole thing is kinda lost. Having a "regular old-fashioned" hero series (Homebase/Girlfriends/Real Life/Recurring Villains) kind of breaks what was so fun about the wacky adventures from the previous series. It's no real surprise that the whole thing was cancelled after ten issues- and expect to see Hercules back in his super-strong, Shakespeare-speaking form the next time a non-Pak/Van Lente type writes him- "Avengers Academy" already guest-starred one (where TIGRA of all people gives him a lecture on decent dress code- granted the dude WAS naked, but come on, Ms. Pot), and he was that way in "Mighty Avengers" too (which was ongoing at the same time his own series was).

Ken

Re: The Exemplars

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:40 pm Image

It doesn't help that most of them look dumb, like the creators KNEW they weren't being used again, and so didn't bother to make memorable designs.
Damn. You know the design of a character sucks when being drawn by George Perez cannot make it look good.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Bedlam (Exemplars)

Post by Jabroniville »

BEDLAM IV (Olisa Kabaki)
Created By:
Role: Uber-Powerful Villain, Forgotten Character, Mind-Blaster
PL 13 (156)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:

Powers:
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]

Mind Control 13 (Feats: Dynamic) (53) -- [63]
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Blast" Blast 13 (Extras: Perception-Ranged, Will-Based) (Feats: Dynamic) (53)
  • Dynamic AE: Mind-Reading 13 Linked to Communication (Mental) 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area) (47)
  • Dynamic AE: "Bolts of Madness" Affliction 13 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed to Random Actions) (Perception Ranged +2, Cumulative) (Feats: Dynamic) (53)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Pain" Affliction 13 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Perception-Ranged +2, Cumulative) (Feats: Dynamic) (53)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telelocation" Senses 6 (Mental Detection- Ranged 5) (Feats: Dynamic) (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Mental Blast -- (+13 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Mind Control/Bolts of Madness/Mental Pain -- (+13 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Destruction)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 76 / Defenses: 11 (156)

-Bedlam (Marvel's third) was an eight-year old girl from Kenya with a mental disorder, the medication of which turned her sullen and dead to the world. Before the condition hit, she was bright and had great potential. In the end of the story, Captain America's words got through to her, and, outraged, she mind-blasted the rest of the team into gaining their original personalities back. Empowered by the Ivory Idol of Ikonn, she's a powerful Telepath.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Conquest

Post by Jabroniville »

That helmet is impossible to make look cool.

CONQUEST (Bridget Malone)
Created By:
Role: Uber-Powerful Villain, Forgotten Character
PL 12 (139)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 16 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Irish Republican Army) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:

Powers:

"Armored Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [28]
Blast 14 (Penetrating 6) (34) -- (35 points)
  • AE: "Costume Weaponry" Strength-Damage +2
Offense:
Unarmed +16 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Weapons +16 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:

Complications:
Motivation (Destruction)

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 11 (139)

-Conquest was an Irish Lass with a family history in The Troubles and links to the IRA. Her past indicated possible rape trauma, and a general disdain for authority. Her skill in combat was exemplary- enough to grab Quicksilver by the foot as he ran by. Empowered by the Kestrel Key of Krakkan.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Is there ever an Irish character who isn't directly linked to the IRA?