World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Voltron64

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Fyirwhrx! Nero! The Beacon! The Scarab and the Ankh! Project Freedom!

Post by Voltron64 »

I think honestly Dieter could've had a far more happier live had he simply remained as Schwarzkappe.

It all comes down to that really.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Fyirwhrx! Nero! The Beacon! The Scarab and the Ankh! Project Freedom!

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:25 am I think honestly Dieter could've had a far more happier live had he simply remained as Schwarzkappe.

It all comes down to that really.
Maybe. I did choose "99 Red Balloons" as his song for a reason -- it's about how something innocent can cause a catastrophe.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So with Jimmy, was he a character in the game that you killed outside of the game, or did you kill him off in-game?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 am So with Jimmy, was he a character in the game that you killed outside of the game, or did you kill him off in-game?
Both of these last two characters were NPCs who died outside the game.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Stray Brigade

... yes, really.

Incredibly, even in 2013, there were people who still thought it was a good idea to dump their unusual mutagenic and possibly alien chemicals in the wild rather than disposing of them in a safe and sane manner. Once they were done doing so, a particularly curious raccoon drank from the polluted stream, and received an extremely large dose of the mutagens, boosting his intelligence and the telepathic abilities that came with it to literally godlike levels for a brief interval. Ringleader, as he came to be called, doesn't (more like can't) remember exactly what he thought or did during this period. But it seems likely that he's the reason that a large number of animals were drawn to drink from that stream, with each receiving an intelligence boost and some superhu-- er, superanimal powers.

Dimly aware of his responsibility for this, Ringleader decided to organize his new friends for their own protection. It's likely that would have been the end of it, but Baskerville insisted that they should use their intelligence and powers to help and protect other, non-sapient animals, as well as disadvantaged and young humans. This turned out to be much more fun than any of them expected, and so they've kept at it while trying to stay one step ahead of Freedom City's Animal Control and a handful of mad scientists who've figured out that those rotten animals who keep showing up to interfere are doing it on purpose.

As yet, the only member of Freedom City's human superheroic community to have encountered the Stray Brigade is Foreshadow. He's still not completely sure that he truly believes that these are sapient animals, but everything points to that being the case. He hasn't told any of his allies about the group because, really, who would believe it?

Baskerville -- PL8

The detective of the group, and the only one who can understand human speech. He lost his owner to crime, and wanted to protect other humans from that sort of thing even before the mutation.

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 2 | AGL 2 | DEX –2 | FGT 3 | INT 8 | AWE 6 | PRE 4
Powers: Bay of Terror (Perception [Auditory] Area Affliction 8 [Resisted and Overcome by Will; Impaired, Disabled, Paralyzed], Selective), Super-Senses (Senses 4 [Acute Extended Smell, Tracking, Ultra-Hearing]), Talk to Animals (Comprehend Animals 2), Understand Humans (Comprehend Languages 1 [understand all languages]).
Advantages: Defensive Roll.
Skills: Athletics 4 (+6), Investigation 4 (+12), Perception 8 (+14), Stealth 2 (+4).
Offense: Init +2, Bite +3 (Close, Damage 2).
Defense: Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude 4, Toughness 4/2, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 50 + Powers 40 + Advantages 1 + Skills 9 + Defenses 7 = Total 107 points.
Complications: Justice--Motivation. Animal.

Carrier -- PL 8

The group's winged scout, able to inflict non-fatal diseases on those she scratches with her talons. She was tortured by a particularly obnoxious human before gaining sapience, and so while she agrees with the idea of protecting other animals, she's not so sure about most humans ...

Abilities: STR -4 | STA 1 | AGL 2 | DEX -2 | FGT 1 | INT 1 | AWE 1 | PRE 0
Powers: Diseased Talons (Progressive Affliction 8 [Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired Disabled, Incapacitated]), Talk to Animals (Comprehend Animals 2), Tiny (Shrinking 10, Permanent, Innate), Wings (Flight 3, Wings).
Advantages: Benefit 1 (Athletics based on Agility), Defensive Roll 3, Favored Environment (Aerial)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+6), Athletics 2 (+4), Close Combat: Talons 7 (+8), Perception 2 (+3), Stealth 2 (+9), Treatment 3 (+4).
Offense: Init +2, Talons +8 (Close Fortitude 8).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 4, Toughness 5/1, Will 4.
Totals: Abilities 6 + Powers 51 + Advantages 5 + Skills 10 + Defenses 11 = 81 points
Complications: Justice--Motivation. Animal. Easily Distr--OOH!

Karma -- PL 8

The group's mystic, able to control the strands of probability as easily as he now controls his own shade and hue. Of all the team, he's the one who's most focused on eventually finding a place that they can call their own, away from the many dangers of the world.

Abilities: STR -4 | STA 1 | AGL 0 | DEX -2 | FGT -2 | INT 1 | AWE 5 | PRE 0
Powers: Prehensile Tail (Extra Limb 1), Probability Manipulation (Luck Control 4, Luck 4), Talk to Animals (Comprehend Animals 2), Tiny (Shrinking 10, Permanent, Innate), True Chameleon (Concealment 4 [visual], Blending), Wall-Crawling (Movement 2 [wall-crawling]).
Advantages: Benefit (Athletics based on Agility), Defensive Roll 2.
Skills: Expertise: Magic 4 (+5), Insight 8 (+13) Stealth 12 (+17).
Offense: Init +0, Bite -2 (Close Damage -4).
Defense: Dodge 12, Parry 8, Fortitude 4, Toughness 4/1, Will 8.
Totals: Abilties 4 + Powers 54 + Advantages 3 + Skills 12 + Defenses 18 = 89 points
Complications: Acceptance--Motivation. Animal.

Catnap -- PL 8

The class of the group! Really, they should be grateful to her for lending them some of hers, because heaven knows they wouldn't have any otherwise. The only member of the team who actually has a home, and servants who would be absolutely lost without her.

Abilities: STR –4 | STA 2 | AGL 3 | DEX –2 | FGT 2 | INT 1 | AWE 1 | PRE 0
Powers: Catseyes (Senses 1 [low-light vision]), Small (Shrinking 8, Permanent, Innate), Stunning Pattern (Perception [Visual] Area Affliction 8 [Resisted and Overcome by Will; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated], Selective), Talk to Animals (Comprehend Animals 2).
Advantages: Benefit 1 (Athletics based on Agility), Defensive Roll 3, Improved Initiative.
Skills: Acrobatics 9 (+12), Athletics 9 (+12), Close Combat: Claws 2 (+4), Perception 4 (+5), Stealth 8 (+15).
Offense: Init +7, Claw +4 (Close, Damage –4).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 8, Fortitude 4, Toughness 6/2, Will 4.
Totals: Abilities 10 + Powers 50 + Advantages 5 + Skills 16 + Defenses 9 = Total 90 points
Complications: Thrills--Motivation. Animal. Dependents (her servants). Selfish.

Ringleader -- PL 8

The team's leader theoretically. He has the ability to control human minds through eye contact, and can seize control of animal minds even more easily ... though he's reluctant to do so except to save someone's life. Or if it would be funny.

Abilities: STR -4 | STA 1 | AGL 3 | DEX 0 | FGT 2 | INT 3 | AWE 4 | PRE 0
Powers: Keen Senses (Senses 2 [acute scent, low-light vision]), Mind Control (Array: Perception Range Affliction 8 [Dazed, Compelled, Controlled], Limited to Animals, AP: Perception Range Affliction 8, Vision Dependent; Communication 2, Limited to compelled or controlled targets, Linked Comprehend Languages 3 [understood by all]), Small (Shrinking 8, Permanent, Innate), Talk to Animals (Comprehend Animals 2).
Advantages: Benefit 1 (Athletics based on Agility), Defensive Roll 2, Leadership.
Skills: Acrobatics 6 (+9), Athletics 6 (+9), Close Combat: Claws 2 (+4), Sleight of Hand 12 (+12), Stealth 8 (+15).
Offense: Init +3, Claw +4 (Close, Damage -4).
Defense: Dodge 11, Parry 10, Fortitude 7, Toughness 5/1, Will 9.
Totals: Abilities 22 + Powers 62 + Advantages 4 + Skills 17 + Defenses 19 = 124 points
Complications: Thrills--Motivation. Animal. Reputation (urban blight).

Author's Notes: The Stray Patrol were created by Chris Heard and family for Icons Hero Pack 5.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:34 pm He sent Zane a congratulatory note including a well-known Bacon quote when Billie was born. To his mind, it was him saying "stop trying to destroy the universe, your kid lives here". Zane may have taken it differently.
"... I can't tell if he just threatened my 'wife' and child, or if he's implying somebody else is."
The only reasonable solution is to destroy him.
"And that ruins that idea."
Spoilsport.
"So plan B then. Hello, Rachel? I need your help on something I'm working on. Hmm? Oh no reason, just suddenly feeling inspired to finish an old project of mine."
Shock

Post by Shock »

I'm always a fan of animals with super powers.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Huan, Hound of Ultima Thule

When Quo-Dis, one of the youngest of the children of the Ultima, was selected to travel to Claremont Academy for education and to keep an eye on activities there, her grandfather was not best pleased. While conceding the wisdom of the Ultima Prime, Tar-Dis felt that he must do something to make sure that his precious descendant would have protection and companionship among the mortals. And as he was the foremost geneticist among the Ultima, he naturally chose to make that companion and protector, and specifically one that could return Quo-Dis to her homeland in the blink of an eye if it became necessary.

It's not clear whether Tar-Dis intended to create an animal that was sapient, as well as super-powered, or if the "dog" having the same intelligence as a typical human was an undocumented feature. When Quo-Dis met her companion for the first time, she certainly had no inkling that Huan, as she named him, was anything other than a super-animal. The bond between the two was immediate -- understandably so, as Tar-Dis had trained and conditioned Huan to be loyal to Quo-Dis' scent.

Ultiteen, as she was sometimes called, soon introduced Huan to her small circle of friends on Claremont's campus, and to Charlie Graham, whom Quo-Dis had met and befriended. (He also met and developed a ferocious mutual antipathy with "Jill Asia"'s cat.) After the end of Charlie's time with Project Freedom, it was Huan who assisted her in traveling to Ultima Thule, and Quo-Dis had him divide his time between there and Claremont to care for her friend. In the process, though, Charlie stumbled on to the "secret" of Huan's intelligence when she used her telepathy on him.

Quo-Dis was shocked to learn the truth, and -- to her credit -- immediately realized that she'd done something horribly wrong by treating Huan as though he was just a pet. Meanwhile, Charlie was left with the unpleasant suspicion that the other Ultima, many of whom were much better telepaths than either she or Quo-Dis, had to have known the truth about Huan, and simply not cared. This was the first of several incidents that ultimately convinced Charlie that Ultima Thule could not be her permanent home.

Huan and Quo-Dis have developed a genuine friendship in the years that have passed since then, and he accompanies her on all her wanderings of the outer world. He usually only attempts to speak -- which he does with extreme difficulty -- when he is closeted with her, but their telepathic conversations are wide-ranging. The fact that he is the only one of his kind is probably Huan's greatest regret, but he's also not sure about the notion of asking Tar-Dis to engineer a mate for him -- what if they found they couldn't stand each other?

Huan -- PL 9

Abilities: STR 10 | STA 10 | AGL 0 | DEX -2 | FGT 6 | INT 0 | AWE 2 | PRE 4
Powers: Canine Senses (Senses 7 [accurate acute extended tracking scent, low-light vision, ultra-hearling), Longevity (Immunity 1 [aging]), Swift Running (Speed 2), Telelocation (Remote Sensing 20 [scent]), Teleportation (Extended Teleport 12, Increased Mass 5).
Advantages: Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Hold.
Skills: Athletics 6 (+16), Close Combat: Bite 2 (+8), Insight 6 (+8), Intimidation 6 (+10), Perception 6 (+8).
Offense: Initiative +0, Bite +8 (Close Damage 10).
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 8, Fortitude 12, Toughness 10, Will 6.
Totals: Abilities 64 + Powers 70 + Advantages 5 + Skills 13 + Defenses 14 = 166 points
Complication: Loyalty--Motivation. Disability (no manipulators, difficult speech). More Than Meets The Eye.

Author's Note: Inspired by a character created by Jacob Blackmon.
Last edited by Davies on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

A guy named Tar-dis having a companion that can move anywhere through space and possibly time? :lol:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Post by Davies »

catsi563 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:53 pm A guy named Tar-dis having a companion that can move anywhere through space and possibly time? :lol:
Yes, and he is probably a pretty good physician, too. :mrgreen:
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 am The Stray Brigade
I enjoy the concept of superpowered animals.
Mostly because I'm extremely fond of dogs.

But, wow, a super powered pigeon? Ewww. ;~)

Davies wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:38 pm Huan, Hound of Ultima Thule
Are we talking normal Corgi size, or giant sized Corgi?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Pretty Princess Loli-chan!!

And Satosaka Kohaku

When Satosaka Kohaku was just starting her first year of high school, she chanced to rescue a little old man from some jerks, and was rewarded by him with a magical brooch that would allow her to transform into a superhero! Unfortunately, the little old man was actually a deceptive sorcerer, one Dr. H, who planned to use his command over the brooch to turn the resultant superhero into his slave. He was interrupted before he could place the last enchantment on Kohaku, however, and so she was able to retain her free will.

Well, sort of. Whenever she transformed into Pretty Princess Loli-chan, it was like a completely different person took over her mind, and Kohaku could at best offer helpful suggestions to that other mind, who mostly cared about spreading a gospel of complete sexual liberation but could be persuaded to do things that would help the innocent out. She did this for several months at her school, battling various demons, monsters, perverts, and the sexually repressed, before the whole place burned down in one of these fights and Kohaku and her friends were forced to transfer to Akazuchi Academy.

Almost as soon as she arrived there, Kohaku was informed that a certain government agency was aware of her activities, and had decided to recruit Loli-chan (and consequently Kohaku as well) to be part of a team of young superheroes in training to protect the school and Japan as a whole. As someone who had a great deal of trouble making friends because of her shyness, Kohaku welcomed the opportunity to meet other young people in similar situations to her own. Loli-chan was hyped for different reasons that require no real elaboration.

So Loli-chan joined the Campus Defense Club, and served through tragedy and triumph for the next three years. In the process, she had the opportunity to meet with several members of the Magical Girls' Brigade (or Mahoshojodan) who took an interest in her transformations. Some investigation confirmed that Kohaku's brooch and her wand were both relics of the same extraterrestrial culture that the members of the Brigade had reincarnated from, though they appeared to have been damaged during their journey from their distant homeworld to Earth, and further damaged by whatever strange experiments Dr. H had performed on them.

The consequence of this was that Loli-chan was never going to 'grow up', and that it would be impossible for her consciousness to truly merge with Kohaku's, as the other Magical Girls had merged with their empowering spirits. (Seeing the consequences of that merging, Kohaku was not sure that was such a bad thing, but she was much too polite to say so.) And it was also impossible for them to be permanently separated without doing grave harm to both Kohaku and Loli-chan. So even as Kohaku grew into adulthood, she was always going to have a crazy little magical girl sharing space in her skull.

If she'd learned that when she started living with Loli-chan, Kohaku would have probably despaired. But she had slowly come to understand and feel compassion for Loli-chan, so silly, so love-crazed, and yet so very brave, too. From an unwanted houseguest, the other girl had come to be a sort of little sister that Kohaku wanted to protect, and so she was fine with having her with her forever. And Loli-chan was too busy ogling the members of the Mahoshojodan to pay any attention to any of this.

Time passed, and Kohaku graduated from Akazuchi Academy. Her contacts with the government helped her to get a job as a private investigator and open up an office. She has never really enjoyed a great deal of success in this job, since it's an unsuitable job for a woman in Japan, but it works as a way for her to discover problems that she can have Loli-chan solve in her own idiomatic manner, and keeps a roof over their mutual head. It also helps her maintain her independence from the Brigade, whose leaders she likes but does not trust.

Last year, Kinawa Eriko, Legendary Angel Herald Midas, inquired whether she would be able to use some of her contacts to help her discover the whereabouts of a child born fairly recently in the United States of America. As this was well outside her job description, Kohaku politely refused the inquiry ... until Eriko dropped a fairly large check on her desk. Apparently, you could put a price on her independence, and so she's begun an investigation that she suspects is probably going to result to her traveling to America for the first time since high school ...

(She might be more hesitant if she knew that (a) Loli-chan's 'star seed' was damaged not in its journey to Earth but at the very beginning of same, when a woman named Sue Evil tore it out of her own chest and cast it into space, and (b) Sue Evil currently lives in America and would not be best pleased to see the work of her hands abroad in the world. But finding out all that is before her.)

Magical Pretty Princess Loli-chan - PL 10

Abilities: STR 6/1 | STA 3/1 | AGL 3/1 | DEX 7/5 | FGT 5/3 | INT -1 | AWE -1 | PRE 4/1
Powers: Henshin! (Morph 1, Metamorph), Magical Abilities (Enhanced Agility 2; Enhanced Dexterity 2; Enhanced Fighting 2; Enhanced Presence 3; Enhanced Stamina 2; Enhanced Strength 5; Immunity 1 [aging]; Protection 6, Impervious 4), Mobility (Leaping 3; Movement 2 [sure-footed 2]; Speed 5), Pretty Princess Wand (Comprehend 2 (speak and understand all languages); Strength-based Damage 5; Sustained Protection 2; Array: Ranged Progressive Affliction 11 [Resisted and Overcome by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled], Limited to Evil Supernatural Creatures, Limited to Holding at Bay, Affects Insubstantial 2, AP: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 11 [Resisted and Overcome by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled], Limited to making creatures become VERY friendly, Affects Insubstantial 2, AP: Ranged Affliction 11 [Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage, Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized], Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Affects Insubstantial 2, AP: Affects Objects Healing 8, AP: Ranged Damage 11, Affects Substantial 2; Easily Removable), Short (Shrinking 2, Permanent, Innate).
Advantages: Acrobatic Bluff, All-Out Attack, Attractive (to people who should be ashamed of themselves), Diehard, Evasion 2, Fascinate (Oratory), Fearless, Improved Critical (Pretty Princess Strike!), Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Shot 2 (ranged).
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+11), Deception 4 (+8), Close Combat: Pretty Princess Strike 4 (+9), Expertise: Magic 4 (+3), Expertise: Oratory 10 (+14), Insight 6 (+5), Ranged Combat: Magic Wand Magic 2 (+9), Sleight of Hand 4 (+11), Stealth 8 (+13).
Offense: Initiative +7, Unarmed +5 (Close Damage 6), Pretty Princess Strike +9 (Close Damage 11, Crit 19-20), Pretty Princess Exorcism +9 (Ranged Will 11), Pretty Princess LUHV-Wave +9 (Ranged Will 11), Pretty Princesss Shibari +9 (Ranged Affliction 11, Resisted by Dodge), Pretty Princess BEEEEM +9 (Ranged Damage 11).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 7, Fortitude 9, Toughness 11/9, Will 5.
Totals: Abilities 20 + Powers 99 + Advantages 15 + Skills 25 + Defenses 18 = 177 points
Complications: Spreading Free Love Everywhere!!--Motivation. Vulnerable (Mind and Emotion Control). Enemy (Dr. H). Secret Identity.

Satosaka Kohaku -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 1 | AGL 1 | DEX 3 | FGT 3 | INT 5 | AWE 3 | PRE 1
Powers: Disguise Pendant (Morph 3 [humanoids], Removable), Henshin! (Morph 1, Metamorph), Pretty Princess Wand (Comprehend 2 (speak and understand all languages); Strength-based Damage 5; Sustained Protection 2; Array: Ranged Progressive Affliction 11 [Resisted and Overcome by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled], Limited to Evil Supernatural Creatures, Limited to Holding at Bay, Affects Insubstantial 2, AP: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 11 [Resisted and Overcome by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled], Limited to making creatures become VERY friendly, Affects Insubstantial 2, AP: Ranged Affliction 11 [Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage, Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized], Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Affects Insubstantial 2, AP: Affects Objects Healing 8, AP: Ranged Damage 11, Affects Substantial 2; Easily Removable), Trained Strength (Strength-based Damage 2).
Advantages: Accurate Attack, Attractive (to people who like actual women), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 5, Fast Grab, Grabbing Finesse, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Inspire, Jack-of-all-Trades, Languages (English, Japanese [native]), Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 2, Redirect, Well-Informed.
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+9), Athletics 4 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+7), Deception 8 (+9), Expertise: Popular Culture 6 (+11), Insight 8 (+11), Intimidation 6 (+7), Investigation 8 (+13), Perception 8 (+11), Persuasion 10 (+11), Sleight of Hand 4 (+7), Stealth 8 (+9), Technology 6 (+11), Treatment 4 (+9), Vehicles 4 (+7).
Offense: Initiative +5, Unarmed +7 (Close Damage 3), Pretty Princess Strike +3 (Close Damage 6), Pretty Princess Exorcism +5 (Ranged Will 11), Pretty Princess LUHV-Wave +5 (Ranged Will 11), Pretty Princesss Shibari +5 (Ranged Affliction 11, Resisted by Dodge), Pretty Princess BEEEEM +5 (Ranged Damage 11).
Defense: Dodge 10, Parry 9, Fortitude 5, Toughness 6/4/1, Will 9.
Totals: Abilities 36 + Powers 44 + Advantages 28 + Skills 48 + Defenses 21 = 177 points
Complications: Responsibility (mostly for Loli-chan)--Motivation. Prejudice (woman in a man's job). Secret Identity.

Author's Notes: Character created by Fuzzy Boots!
Last edited by Davies on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:24 am
Davies wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:38 pm Huan, Hound of Ultima Thule
Are we talking normal Corgi size, or giant sized Corgi?
The latter, though he's only about as big as a human instead of the size of a horse (like Tolkien's Huan) or a small car (like his other inspiration.) ;)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Davies wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 am Pretty Princess Loli-chan!!
Author's Notes: Character created by Fuzzy Boots!
Yup, that was me. Oh golly... and people think that angsty high school poetry looks bad when viewed later... as chance has it, I have my official justification for the build from the old Atomic Think Tank build thread:
^_^ Early on, I figured on a magical girl since we didn't have one already. The next fun bit is making them interesting. I considered a Dark Magical Girl (specifically, I was thinking of Sailor H from Magical Girl Hunters), then remembered a magical girl anime where the girl in question was a grade-schooler who transformed into an older woman and primarily used her Disguise Pen to change her uniform each episode (Fancy LaLa I see now). I had also considered submitting someone who was a Chibi by nature (c.f. Chibi Sue in Ghastly's Ghastly Webcomic (NSFW) or Katie of Project Chibification but that goes against the "non-obviousness" clause for the campaign. I wound up settling on someone whose magical form was much younger than the normal form. This led on to a backstory involving a perverted sorcerer. The powers / abilities were largely a matter of my semi-random build process followed by me finding justifications and then tuning things to more closely fit the evolving concept. I blame the initial concept on a lack of sleep, but I think it could be interesting to play.
So yes, it all came from a logical premise that just kept extending itself... I think I made a few of the players uncomfortable with her antics. I know that I made myself uncomfortable a few times.

Things I liked about the concept
  • I liked that Loli-chan was basically the Tank of the team in a lot of ways. She hit, and took hits, in a way that was at odds with her size.
  • Related to that, part of my intent was that Loli-chan was not a team player in the way a lot of the magical girls are, setting up each others' attacks and the like or using strategy. Instead, she was a brawler who just kind of waded into battle most of the time.
  • I enjoyed the interplay of Kohaku and Loli-chan in their internal dialogue. While they were each in control in their own form, the other was always free to kibitz, and while I sometimes feel I went a bit too far with Loli-chan being id-driven (and sexually charged), that's also part of the whole childishness thing. Kohaku was uneasy about unleashing Loli-chan, but she was the one with the power to deal with problems, and I think it was also liberating in a way to get to do things that were not proper, but which she could blame on Loli-chan being in control.
  • One of my favorite feats for Loli-chan was near the beginning of the game, where she ran to where Doc Otaku was and used Fascinate to keep him in place while she did her magical girl speech. Fascinate is one of those iffy Feats in that it doesn't have much effect in combat and generally doesn't do a great deal to set up your teammates, but it's a great way to hold off an enemy until everyone else arrives, and it really fit with the way Magical Girls always seem to get their speech in.
  • I liked that Kohaku had a completely different set of skills in her Normal Identity so that, when not transformed, she could hold her own in certain areas.
Things I didn't like
  • I wound up regretting the whole sex-charged aspect of her. It was just a little too creepy, and it really was not necessary most of the time. 90% of her character arc would have worked the same way if she simply was childishly impulsive.
  • She had a bit of a random grab-bag of powers and Feats that were the result of me grabbing things out of Mecha and Manga that looked cool. I don't remember ever actually using the Exorcism alt, for example.
  • Because I got a bit creeped out by the sex factor, I think I pulled back in later chapters, which hurt characterization.
  • As was discussed in a PM with Davies within the last year or so, I assumed he was angry with us for how we handled one of the scenarios, going to combat when we could have resolved things more easily outside of it, and that I was a big factor in the slowdown that resulted in the game getting cancelled. In retrospect, a PM from me back then might have established that no, that was not the case.
  • Tremendously minor thing, but using bolding for Loli-Chan's speech/thoughts got really annoying after a while because I would want emphasis,
    but couldn't go too much further.
In the end, I got my goal of being in a Davies game (people not around at the time might not have realized just how much of a legend Project Freedom was), and I had some fond memories, but as I told Davies when he asked me for permission to include Loli-chan in the setting, I honestly haven't really given her a second thought over the years, so I had very little input. I approve of what was done with her in the setting.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The thing I liked about Loli-chan, which showed up in the second and third adventures, was that she was as much, if not more, concerned with other people's romantic happiness than her own. That, and the great speech Kohaku gives Loli-chan after Inara does her thing, really solidified in my mind how these two should work. I really wish I could have seen more of it.