M&M 3e, Young Protectors OOC (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
McGuffin

Re: M&M 3e, Young Protectors OOC (Full)

Post by McGuffin »

Horsenhero wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 amSorry I disappeared for a bit...I'm having a sale on commissions and I've been a bit busy. It's amazing how quickly dirt cheap commissions will perk up languishing business. 8-)
Happy to hear you're doing well! :)
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

McGuffin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:14 pm
Horsenhero wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 amSorry I disappeared for a bit...I'm having a sale on commissions and I've been a bit busy. It's amazing how quickly dirt cheap commissions will perk up languishing business. 8-)
Happy to hear you're doing well! :)
Ditto.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Re: Coldspell's senses: Coldspell has Magical Awareness (Extended, Radius, Acute, Accurate), so her powers detect the presence of magic, not simply its' use. IF Presto! (or Warlock for that matter) was a standard sorcerer, she could only detect their magic when they cast spells, but since they're both magical beings she can potentially detect their presence just as she can detect a magical artifact. Her power is much more effective against someone or something that is magic as opposed to someone who just uses magic.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

@Ravensport- Just waiting on N'Sekt's surprise action.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Horsenhero wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:34 pm Re: Coldspell's senses: Coldspell has Magical Awareness (Extended, Radius, Acute, Accurate), so her powers detect the presence of magic, not simply its' use. IF Presto! (or Warlock for that matter) was a standard sorcerer, she could only detect their magic when they cast spells, but since they're both magical beings she can potentially detect their presence just as she can detect a magical artifact. Her power is much more effective against someone or something that is magic as opposed to someone who just uses magic.
Or against someone who uses a billy club. Sorry team.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

Point of clarification, typically if you fail a Resistance check against Damage, you take a cumulative -1 Penalty to consecutive resistance checks, regardless of whether that Resistance is Toughness, Fortitude, or Will.

If there's a house rule that the penalty only applies to specific type of Resistance used that's fine, just makes having Alternate Resistance not as effective at chipping down the big bad with the team.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Yep, it's a penalty to resistance checks vs damage specifically. Doesn't affect resistance checks vs other powers.

Would be good to know if there is a house rule though. :)
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Zero Prime wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:54 am Point of clarification, typically if you fail a Resistance check against Damage, you take a cumulative -1 Penalty to consecutive resistance checks, regardless of whether that Resistance is Toughness, Fortitude, or Will.

If there's a house rule that the penalty only applies to specific type of Resistance used that's fine, just makes having Alternate Resistance not as effective at chipping down the big bad with the team.
Okay, I didn't see anything like that specified in the rules, the cumulative -1 is only ever referred to in regard to toughness saves...and it makes little sense when taking the effects of various Afflictions into consideration (since Afflictions often apply effects that target resistances). As far as I know the big reason for alternate checks is to get around "Toughness" which is usually the beefiest save.

Now maybe there's a change in verbiage in a later printing or errata that specifies that and if someone points me to it, I'll certainly honor it but it isn't written that way in the rulebook I've got.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Damage Resistance Check
Toughness vs. [Damage rank + 15]
Success : The damage has no effect.
Failure (one degree): The target has a –1 circumstance
penalty to further resistance checks against damage.
Failure (two degrees): The target is dazed until the end
of their next turn and has a –1 circumstance penalty to
further checks against damage.
Failure (three degrees): The target is staggered
and has a -1 circumstance penalty to further checks
against damage. If the target is staggered again (three
degrees of failure on a Damage resistance check), ap-
ply the fourth degree of effect. The staggered condi-
tion remains until the target recovers (see Recovery,
following).
Failure (four degrees): The target is incapacitated .
Copied from my pdf of the 10 Year Penultimate Edition. I do have a pdf of the first hero handbook printing, but I can't access thay one from my phone for comparison. :/
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

That only mentions toughness vs. damage. It doesn't talk about fort or will.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

It says "to further resistance checks against damage." It doesn't specify toughness aside from it being the default resistance check for damage.

Edit: Here's the original block from the 1st print of Hero Handbook. It is identical near as I can tell
DAMAGE RESISTANCE CHECK
Toughness vs. [Damage rank + 15]
Success : The damage has no effect.
Failure (one degree): The target has a –1 circumstance
penalty to further resistance checks against damage.
Failure (two degrees): The target is dazed until the end
of their next turn and has a –1 circumstance penalty to
further checks against damage.
Failure (three degrees): The target is staggered
and has a -1 circumstance penalty to further checks
against damage. If the target is staggered again (three
degrees of failure on a Damage resistance check), apply
the fourth degree of effect. The staggered condition
remains until the target recovers (see Recovery,
following).
Failure (four degrees): The target is incapacitated .
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

So for Ravensport, we're just waiting for N'Sekt then back to the top of the order for a regular round, right?

Also, advance warning, I will be traveling for the holiday this week (Tuesday night to Late Saturday), with limited access- best to assume I will not have time to post until I get back.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

Horsenhero wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 amPresto! gets an action. Everyone gets an action. Start punching and zapping or something and I'll start rolling saves for my sacrificial lambs.
I thought we were on to the regular round to speed things up?
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Hawk wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:17 pm DEVIL DOG

"I'm sorry I didn't bring my sunglasses, with all this Glare you radiate Vulcan. You wouldn't want to blind someone now would you?"
:lol: lol uh more like ... opps ;)
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Hawk wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:33 am
Horsenhero wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:34 pm Re: Coldspell's senses: Coldspell has Magical Awareness (Extended, Radius, Acute, Accurate), so her powers detect the presence of magic, not simply its' use. IF Presto! (or Warlock for that matter) was a standard sorcerer, she could only detect their magic when they cast spells, but since they're both magical beings she can potentially detect their presence just as she can detect a magical artifact. Her power is much more effective against someone or something that is magic as opposed to someone who just uses magic.
Or against someone who uses a billy club. Sorry team.
Or a Rakshasa maybe? Whose realm uses magic like we use technology? :)