Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Russian

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:58 am Image

THE RUSSIAN (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Garth Ennis & Steve Dillon
I probably wouldn"t hav4 had any issues with Garth's Punisher series if he hadn't felt compelled to bring other Marvel superheroes into the mix. Because unless the hero is Superman, Garth should never be allowed to touch actual superheroes. I understand he loves war comics, and that isn't really a problem. Write all the war comics you want then. Just leave superheroes out of it. Part of the hate apparently stems from "World War 2" era heroes, saying that he feels such notions are disrespectful to actual soldiers. Which just shows Garth is kind of an idiot.

So him doing a Punisher book, fine. Him then bringing Spider-Man, Daredevil and Wolverine solely to make them look like idiots is just bad form. He did this in Hitman, but at least most of the time it was Garth's own creations, with Superman and Batman generally looking okay and only poor Kyle Rayner getting the short end. I really can't imagine how any editor let Garth screw over their flagship character and one of their most popular characters of the time.

I loved how Daredevil Season 2 actuall recreated that scene, and then vastly improved on it by having Matt verbally give as good as he got, take a third option and get some satisfaction by beating Frank unconscious.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Razor-Fist (Young & Scott)

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

RAZOR-FIST I & II (William Young & William Scott)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Paul Gulacy
First Appearance: Master of Kung-Fu #29 (June 1975- Young), #105 (Oct. 1981- Douglas)
Role: Jobber Villain, Journeyman Villain
PL 8 (105)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+10)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+6)
Insight 5 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit (Ambidexterity), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Hand-Knives), Instant Up, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Powers:
"Hand-Knives" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Knives +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Disabled (No Hands)- Razor-Fist needs a bit of assistance to engage in ordinary activities, like wiping his own bum.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 6 (105)

-The first Razor-Fist was William Young, an assassin sent after Shang-Chi by Carlton Velcro, a crimelord. He was accidentally shot to death by Velcro's guards in his debut. Later, Doctor Doom used a pair of robots impersonating Razor-Fist and sent them against Shang-Chi.

-The second Razor-Fist was William Scott, named as such because of his fast punches- he and his brother Douglas took the same title and pretended to be only one person. Each one lost one hand in a car accident, and had them replaced by knives. Velcro accidentally shot one of them to death.

-Both Razor-Fists are pretty weak-ass characters, losing quickly to Shang-Chi and being shot by accident thanks to goons.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So Razor-Fist has now been split up into TWO builds, with the remaining guy to be added tomorrow :).

And I'm back to posting 4 builds per day with this set, as many of the "R" names are mere re-posts. Though Random is a re-post from July last year, and has a LOT more info to him, as my old bio was pretty sub-standard. There's few "Big Names" to be posted here (it's basically Rogue & Rom, then nothing). Glad someone's looking forward to Rom, because that was a build that I'd considered impossible to do for years, owing to terrible online bios for the guy.
Woodclaw

Re: Razorback

Post by Woodclaw »

Horsenhero wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:27 am Okay...I'll admit it...I like Razorback. I liked him better before John Byrne made him a mutant, but I understand why that was done (there really isn't any skill sharing between driving trucks and piloting space shuttles or I'd be working with NASA by now).

I liked in the original story that Buford was a big, redneck guy and kind of a tech genius (counter-intuitive for comics), after all he constructed both his electrified mane AND made his Peterbilt remote controlled, which is pretty cool. Sure, he's not anywhere close to Iron Man's league, but that's still impressive bits of engineering.

I'm a fan of oddball (but not joke) heroes, so Buford is my kinda guy.
MacynSnow wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:34 amGood ol' Buford here is one of my top 3 "good idea/bad look" heroes(the other 2 being The Osprey and Frog-Man).All it would take to make him either a legit Hero or a great support character is a slight outfit apperance change......
And here I thought I was the only one who find Buford a potentially good character. A lot of it comes down to fact that I can't help but read most of his lines with a Kurt Russel voice and his introduction story had something of a "Big Trouble in Little China" vibe, with Buford being in way over his head, but sticking around until the very end.

As for the mutant bit ... I feel there was a time in the '80s when Byrne felt the need to make each and every character he wrote, except She-Hulk, a mutant, starting with Namor.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ken

Re: Razor-Fist (Young & Scott)

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:32 am
RAZOR-FIST I & II (William Young & William Scott)

Disabled (No Hands)- Razor-Fist needs a bit of assistance to engage in ordinary activities, like wiping his own bum.

-Both Razor-Fists are pretty weak-ass characters, losing quickly to Shang-Chi and being shot by accident thanks to goons.
They say 10% of men admit it and 90% of men are liars. These two are either being honest when they say they don't, or else they'd castrate themselves.

It's like the pirate, when asked by a reporter about his wooden leg, he said he lost it to a shark; when asked about his hook hand, he said it he lost it in a sword fight with a Spanish captain; and when asked about the eye-patch, he said he lost the eye when a seagull pooped in it while on watch. The reporter than asks the obvious question of how bird poo caused him to lose the eye. "Well, it was the first week after I got my hook."
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Razor-Fist (Douglas)

Post by Jabroniville »

Thank God he dropped the singlet.

RAZOR-FIST III (Douglas Scott)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Paul Gulacy
First Appearance: Master of Kung-Fu #29 (June 1975- Young), #105 (Oct. 1981- Douglas & William)
Role: Jobber Villain, Journeyman Villain
PL 8 (111)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+10)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+6)
Insight 5 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit (Ambidexterity), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Hand-Knives), Instant Up, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Powers:
"Hand-Knives" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Knives +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 10 (111)

Razor-Fist- A Recognizable Background Jobber:
-Alongside Barrage of Apocalypse's Dark Riders, Razor-Fist may be the only comic book character to be incapable of going to the bathroom without assistance. Of course in the "Bad Ass" age of comics, we'd get this goofy Shang-Chi villain (started out as one guy who was quickly killed, then two brothers, then only one brother remained after the others were accidentally shot in a recurring theme) turned into a self-cutting expert and dark, grim evil type. Not that it made him any more competent- he's never beaten anybody good. He's pretty much a recurring Background Jobber, as even in the '80s, he couldn't BUY a win over someone like Hawkeye or Mockingbird (who was REALLY low-level!). Oddly, he's been "killed" twice, by Wolverine (in a VERY close fight) and Elektra, but simply showed up the next time without explanation.

Razor-Fist III:
-Douglas Scott survived, becoming the sole, modern-day Razor-Fist. He eventually lost his other hand in the Daughters of the Dragon miniseries, losing it to Colleen Wing's sword. He teamed with Zaran the Weapon-Master and Shockwave to attack the West Coast Avengers once, but was defeated by Mockingbird pretty handily (hee). Later, he was hired to take on Wolverine, and actually WON thanks to a pseudo-vampire helping him, and he tossed Wolvie off a cliff. Next time they fought, Wolverine appeared to kill him.

-Razor-Fist reappeared years later with no explanation for his return (back in the Gruenwald days, this villains ALWAYS arrived on the scene with their life history, so this is an odd one), and fought Hawkeye in Solo Avengers, alongside numerous other guys trying to capture the guy's right arm for Crossfire. He was later apparently killed fighting Elektra after a bounty was placed on her head. Once again, he returned with no explanation, fighting Spider-Man. He reappeared in the Toxin mini-series, leading a group of teens obsessed with self-harm. However, Toxin easily defeats him and gets him arrested.

-Razor-Fist now stands as one of those "Recognizable Background Guys", with no character beyond "stand in the back of The Hood's Army or something"- he's right there with 8-Ball, Griffin and Mandrill, all the freaking time. His other role is that of "Martial Arts Jobber", as he has two things going for him: a distinct appearance, and no credibility. This makes him a delicious opponent for anyone who needs a "win" over an established guy who isn't just a random nobody.

Razor-Fist's Capabilities:
-A low-pointed PL 8 Martial Artist, Razor-Fist is more of an annoyance than anything else, but he's able to modify all his caps in just about every kind of way, which makes him a bit more versatile. Even so, he's dependent on one type of attack almost completely, and wouldn't give someone like Shang-Chi or Captain America (both around +15 to +17 in Attack Bonus) much of a headache beyond a simple brawl. Even lower-tier (ie. non-PL 10-11) fighters like Colleen Wing have handily defeated him, so he could theoretically be even weaker than this.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Recorders

Post by Jabroniville »

THE RECORDERS
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Thor #132 (Sept. 1966)
Role: Recorders of Heroic Acts

-The Recorders are a race of robots that serve The Rigellians, acting as scouts that literally record the activity of other races (often Earth superheroes) and report back to their masters. Some are seen assisting Cosmic Beings, such as the Recorder seen serving Uatu the Watcher. Recorder 211 did such a good job in observing Thor fighting Ego the Living Planet, that it was allowed to maintain a bit of sentience- however, it was reprogrammed by The High Evolutionary. Recorder 451 recorded Hercules's adventures in the 24th Century, meaning these things lasted a long time.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Rampage

Post by Jabroniville »

RAMPAGE (Stuart Clarke)
Created By:
Tony Isabella & Don Heck
First Appearance: The Champions #5 (April 1976)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Recession Raiders
PL 8 (113)
STRENGTH
2/7 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills: 
Expertise (Science) 2 (+8)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 5 (+11)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Gear), Inventor, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Rampage Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [39]
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Power-Lifting 1 (
Protection 5 (5)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
"Hypnotic Gas" Affliction 7 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud, Cumulative) (21)
-- (48 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Powersuit Strength +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Hypnotic Gas +7 Area (+7 Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +4 (+8 Suit), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications: 
Motivation (Power)- The Skull desires power over anything else- be it via Nazism, criminal empires or the Cosmic Cube. Or Professor Xavier's brain.
Enemy (Captain America)- For decades, the Skull's key nemesis has been Captain America- the symbol of freedom itself.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 7 (113)

-I can't believe I've never seen this guy before- Rampage is as generic a "Jobber Villain" as you're ever going to get. Stuart Clarke was an idealistic inventor who refused to sell his designs to a larger company- this resulted in him going into debt. When he saw Stark Industries release armored exoskeletons similar to his own designs, he donned a suit of prototype armor and went attacking. His bank robbing drew the attention of the short-lived Champions, who defeated him easily- he attempted to take his own life, but was stopped by Iceman. He later betrayed the team to Russian agents after the Black Widow, and they convinced him to attempt a suicide-bombing of the Champions HQ- he barely survived. A crippled Rampage later mind-controlled Iceman into fighting The Angel and Spider-Man. He later showed up to fight Wonder Man and The Beast, leading a team of "Recession Raiders" with suits like his.

-The character disappeared for years afterwards, and only popped up in Iron Man's book, carrying out an old grudge. Breaking free from The Raft in Bendis's first Avengers issue, he moved on to The Punisher's book, acting as an ally to Frank Castle. He eventually grows truly close to Castle, considering him the only person to never let him down- he is eventually shot by the former Lady Punisher, a double agent working for S.H.I.E.L.D. Surviving, he nonetheless grows hateful when he sees a video of Castle killing his wife, and vows to hunt down the Punisher- he's eventually thrown to a window, resulting in permanent scarring- this causes him to ally with Jigsaw as "The Jigsaw Brothers". Eventually, Jigsaw turns on Clarke, killing him.

-Rampage is basically an awful villain, being only PL 7 with PL 7.5 defenses. Like a lot of smart guys, he can vary his gear between adventures, like having high-velocity rounds and stuff like that.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Red Skull! Razorback! Random! Razor-Fist!)

Post by Ken »

I prefer the Kitty Faulkner Rampage, especially after she reformed and became Starman's girlfriend.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Rogue

Post by Jabroniville »

God, all of Rogue's costumes suck except the Jim Lee one.

ROGUE (Anna Marie)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Michael Golden
First Appearance: The Avengers Annual #10 (Aug. 1981)
Role: Claremont's Pet, The Punker Girl, The Ascended Leader, The Beta Couple (with Gambit), Blessed With a Sucky Power, Winner of the Super-Power Lottery
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, Xavier's Security Enforcers, The Mutant Brotherhood
PL 11 (238)
STRENGTH
1/11 STAMINA 2/11 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+4, +6 Attractive)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+3)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+4, +6 Attractive)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Attractive, Diehard, Equipment (X-Uniform), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Interpose, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Takedown, Ultimate Toughness Check

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Power & Memory Absorption" All Powers Linked
"Absorb Powers" Mimic 11 (Flaws: Limited to Touch Range, Fades As Opponent Recovers) [66]
"Stuns Victims" Affliction 11 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled/Incapacitated & Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Extra Condition) [22]
"Absorbs Memories" Mind Reading 8 (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Uncontrolled) [1]

"Ms. Marvel's Stolen Powers"
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Enhanced Strength 10 [20]
Enhanced Stamina 9 [18]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 11) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Power Theft +10 (+11 Affliction, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +12 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +9

Complications:
Relationship (Gambit)- The two flirted at first (Gambit mostly), but it turns out he really liked her, but they couldn't be together because of her powers. Then they kinda split, then stuff happened, and now... it's complicated.
Relationship (Mystique)- Mystique adopted a runaway Rogue as a foster daughter, and the two were close for years. Things have grown more complicated, as Rogue comprehends Mystique's evil.
Relationship (The Sentry)- Rogue was apparently in a relationship with Robert, as he could touch her without harm. This was mostly-forgotten when he disappeared from reality, but she would eventually remember.
Relationship (Magneto)- A brief romantic liaison in the past keeps getting brought up, and the two have had "moments" since then- they were married in an alternate timeline, and she also hooked up with his clone, Joseph.
Guilt (Cody's Coma)- Rogue put a boy into a coma when they first kissed, and she's felt horrible about it ever since.
Rivalry (Ms. Marvel)- Carol Danvers resented Rogue for years, having been permanently de-powered thanks to Rogue's abilities.
Responsibility (Can Never Touch Skin to Skin)- This was pretty much her mantra for thirty-some years. She's afraid she'll steal someone's thoughts and memories and kill them, like she did her first boyfriend all those years ago.
Uncontrolled Transformation (Other Personalities)- Stealing someone's powers can provoke instances where their personalities can take over Rogue's. When she stole Carol Danvers' powers, she was often forced to take on Carol's entire persona for long periods of time, unable to act of her own volition.
Power Loss (Flesh Contact)- Rogue requires actual skin-to-skin contact to utilize her Power Theft abilities. This means that beings like robots, or guys in Powersuits, are unable to be drained & Mimicked as normal. Similarly, she would have to tear off Iron Man's armour to Stun him.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 151 / Defenses: 15 (238)

Rogue- Claremont's Girl:
-Rogue's come a long way since she was dressed as a butch punker (I hate punkers) in the early '80s and joined The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, being a suddenly inserted member onto the Claremont X-Men team at the peak of their popularity. She'd been a villain working for her foster mother Mystique, and was responsible for depowering Claremont's beloved Ms. Marvel in her debut (and engaged in a short feud with Dazzler), but the Professor took a chance on her, bringing her onto the team, despite the other X-Men threatening to quite if he did so. Initially using her Power-Stealing abilities A LOT, in addition to Flying Brick powers (she'd kept Ms. Marvel's abilities), she was sullen, moody and withdrawn, but the rest of the team put up with her out of pity and because of her obvious bravery (facing tremendous agony to save the life of Colossus when he'd been alternately burned and frozen).

-On the book, Claremont went out of his way to make her a Pet Character, having others comment on her beauty, her power and her talents, and more- she was EASILY the most powerful member of the squad for a while, making frequent use of her Power Theft (at one point copying Colossus and Nightcrawler's powers simultaneously). We'd learn her origin story soon enough: with her first kiss, she absorbed the thoughts and memories of a boy she liked, mind-wiping him and rendering him comatose- thus we have our "Tortured Character" moment.

-Rogue's whole "I can't touch anyone!" problem is also a classic Sucky Mutant Power thing, along with Cyclops' Permanent Optic Blasts- things that show you just how much it can really suck to have uncontrolled powers.

Rogue in the '90s:
-As the years went on, Rogue became a constant presence on the team, lasting after Kitty & Nightcrawler joined Excalibur, Colossus left, and the "Australia Years" began. She had a moment of romance with the now-villainous-again Magneto, but it was her relationship with Gambit, and the BAD-ASS "bomber jacket over skin-tight clothing" look that Jim Lee gave her, that pushed her over the edge. She was MEGA-popular at the time- second in "X-Men Hotties" only after Psylocke (though I preferred Jean, she was in a dorky outfit at the time). Popular enough to be on the X-Men Animated Series at the time, too. Honestly, her visual was just INCREDIBLE- the "white streak" in her hair made her visually distinct even out of costume, and the color scheme and the GOOD use of the "bomber jacket" look (that became iconic to the '90s)... Rogue had "it", and anyone in advertising will tell you how important a "defining feature" look like Rogue's is.

-By this point, however, Chris Claremont was off the X-Men- the flirtation between her & Gambit was made the focus of her character by Jim Lee and Fabian Nicieza (who took over the "Blue Strike Force" book, which featured all of Jim Lee's favorite designs- the "Cool" X-Men). And it was into THIS era that I discovered the character- gone was Claremont's brassy, willing-to-kill, tough-chick, and in her place was a kind of wilting flower- a mopey sort who mooned over Gambit (in between teasing him) and acted WAY more vulnerable than Chris would ever write his women. And she NEVER used her Power Theft abilities in combat any longer- she appeared petrified at the very THOUGHT of touching someone skin-to-skin, when Claremont had written it as a basic aspect of her fighting style. It wasn't until years later, reading the Essential reprints, that I discovered the "True" Rogue.

-Rogue/Gambit would be the defining factor of her character for years, including a stopover where she hooks up with Joseph, thought to be a younger version of Magneto (he was actually a clone). She & Gambit finally slept together when they were de-powered by Nanny, but the discovery that Gambit had actually led to the Mutant Massacre resulted in a break-up.

Claremont's Return- Rogue's Re-Push:
-Rogue's popularity stayed, and she was made a Team Leader when Chris Claremont returned to the X-Books. This, however, irked me- the character was so much different (a hopeless romantic-type) under Nicieza that her suddenly being pushed as the leader was a bizarre switch in personality. She was also MUCH more powerful, as Chris loved his women ultra-strong- she was catching bullets and throwing them back, copying powers once more, and generally acting like how people always stereotype Claremont's women. Unfortunately, Claremont's return went over like a fart, and the character was shunted off of the main X-Books and onto his "let's keep Chris happy" X-Treme X-Men, where she acted as co-leader with Storm, hunting Destiny's Diaries all over the globe. This had the unfortunate side effect of killing the character off as far as most fans were concerned, as that was a sub-tier book, and kept her from the "main" stories for years.

-However, Rogue was also a major character in the first X-Men film, acting as a "Fan POV Character"- a "Kitty Pryde"-type who introduces us to the world of the X-Men. X-Men Evolution would use her as a grouchy Goth Girl, too. During this time, we'd also FINALLY learn Rogue's real name- it'd been one of those classic "Mysterious Backstory" things left blank since she'd debuted.

Modern Rogue:
-Rogue's actually suffered a heavy-duty de-push over the past decade or two- without any of her "protectors" around, she's become a sub-tier X-Man. And even worse, they dropped the central aspect of her character- the "No Touching" thing- as they discover that her powers had simply never gotten out of their nascent stage, and so Professor X tears down her "mental blocks" and now Rogue can touch anyone with no ill side-effects! And then during the same era, her & Gambit do the "Star-Crossed Lovers" thing one too many times, and I think fans finally got sick of it- you can't "Will They or Won't They" for twenty years.

-For the most part, her "big stories" are "Once hooked up with The Sentry in the past" and "joins the Avengers Unity Squad", as she hooks up with Captain American's Uncanny Avengers team as a mid-tier member, hoping to bridge the gap between Avengers & X-Men following the poorly received A (vs) X event. Unfortunately, she doesn't get much to do in that story, just kind of buzzing about on the periphery as other characters get more to do. Her big thing was "hates the Scarlet Witch" (despite this being a UNITY-based initiative, there was still inter-team squabbling over the Scarlet Witch's role in the Mutant De-Powering thing) and "Absorbs Wonder Man", as Simon Williams found himself turned into energy again, and he was trapped within Rogue. Most recently, she has developed into the field-leader of the team, sort of being romantic with Deadpool (!!) and helping to get rid of the "Professor X's Brain" Red Skull's powers once and for all.

Rogue's Powers:
-Rogue used to be SUCH a pain in the ass to stat. There were a half-dozen ways to do it accurately within the old rules, but now it's much easier, thanks to 3e ironing out a few of the "kinks" (it's part of why I overall like 3rd Edition MUCH better than 2nd). Since this is Rogue as "X-Men Leader", she's PL 11, reasonably-skilled but incredibly powerful. Some explanation on her powers- Her Mimic power is relatively complex, but is essentially a Touch-Range Mimic that Fades over time (she drops a full rank every round, giving up 5 of her total points). She used to get a Stunning Side-Effect if she used her powers, but I'm pretty sure that's not an issue anymore (and she recovered in only a round or two anyways). It's active constantly so she has to be careful around her friends (this is basically a Complication), however I didn't want to go the full Aura/Continuous/Permanent mark because she can hide that simply by dressing shyly (it's an inefficient Permanent Aura that is deactivated by a poncho, y'see) and it makes things excessively complicated and expensive.

-She has a Linked Stun & Power-Sapping effect as well (guys would drop pretty quickly when she touched them), boosting her power. Otherwise, Rogue is a rather limited front-line Flying Brick, and only PL 10.5 on Offense, PL 11 on Defense, thus not making caps so admirably, nor possessing many leadership skills (since she led for all of ten seconds compared to most, like Storm). And yes, she's INSANELY expensive thanks to all her powers- I'm always taken aback by the pricey people, but really, look at even Taliesin's build, which is basically 60 points cheaper than this one here... and she's lacking her Ms. Marvel powers, all of which cost about 60 points.

ROGUE (Anna Marie)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Michael Golden
First Appearance: The Avengers Annual #10 (Aug. 1981)
Role: Claremont's Pet, The Punker Girl, The Ascended Leader, The Beta Couple (with Gambit), Blessed With a Sucky Power, Winner of the Super-Power Lottery
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, Xavier's Security Enforcers, The Mutant Brotherhood
PL 10 (214)
STRENGTH
1/10 STAMINA 2/10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+3)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+4, +6 Attractive)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Attractive, Diehard, Equipment (X-Uniform), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown, Ultimate Toughness Check

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Power & Memory Absorption" All Powers Linked
"Absorb Powers" Mimic 11 (Flaws: Limited to Touch Range, Fades) [66]
"Stuns Victims" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled/Incapacitated & Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Extra Condition) [20]
"Absorbs Memories" Mind Reading 8 (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Uncontrolled) [1]

"Ms. Marvel Stolen Powers"
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Enhanced Strength 8 [18]
Enhanced Stamina 8 [16]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 11) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Power Theft +8 (+9 Affliction, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +11 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Gambit)- The two flirted at first (Gambit mostly), but it turns out he really liked her, but they couldn't be together because of her powers. Then they kinda split, then stuff happened, and now... it's complicated.
Guilt (Cody's Coma)- Rogue put a boy into a coma when they first kissed, and she's felt horrible about it ever since.
Responsibility (Can Never Touch Skin to Skin)
Accident (Stealing Powers & Rendering Others Near-Death)
Power Loss (Flesh Contact)- Rogue requires actual skin-to-skin contact to utilize her Power Theft abilities. This means that beings like robots, or guys in Powersuits, are unable to be drained & Mimicked as normal. Similarly, she would have to tear off Iron Man's armour to Stun him.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 145 / Defenses: 10 (214)

-A PL 10 Rogue, more akin to the version we saw in the '80s and '90s. For some reason, Rogue SUCKED during Secret Wars, getting trounced by absolutely everybody (a debuting Titania said "broad always leads with her CHIN!" before one-punching her), but I'll chalk that up to Jim Shooter not being palsy with Chris Claremont, as the X-Men were kind of treated like a bunch of second-raters in that series, aside from a few big moments from Colossus & Wolverine, and some respect given to Magneto. Rogue was actually more significant in the '80s, where she used her Absorption powers in almost every major fight (even against heroes, like The Thing in that FF/X-Men crossover Limited Series). By the 1990s, she was just another Flying Brick (albeit unique for the X-books), flying in and busting everyone in the mouth while being bulletproof. It was like Fabian Nicieza & Jim Lee (the main creative Rogue-focused people in this time period) had a totally different P.O.V. from Claremont's regarding how Rogue used her powers. But then, it was the era of Guns, Blasters & Powerhouses, with EVERYONE having powers simplified into those three categories in most books.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Red Skull! Razorback! Random! Razor-Fist! Rogue!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Re-doing the X-Men is always interesting, because they're a big sign of how I write differently these days- my older bios could be long, but usually weren't more than three paragraphs. Now I just try to sum up the Wikipedia page as quickly as I can (NOT EASY in the case of the X-Men, who tend to get a new paragraph with each story arc). Guys like The Russian are simple re-posts from a little while ago. Rampage is all-new. I decided to actually stat up the original Razor-Fist and the other dead one, rather than just leave them all with the same build. AND he has a much more thorough bio than "he died, but came back because somebody forgot".

Ramrod, Red Sonja & The Rapier aren't gonna have much more new to them, but The Rising Sons are my favorite thing- a Forgettable Jobber Squad who never reappeared and thus are SUPER-easy to build. They're much like that "System Crash" team or other assorted losers than never go anywhere.

Obviously, the most work OVERALL will be Rom and company, owing to being all-new AND requiring a much longer Wiki-search.
L-Space

Re: Jab's Builds! (Red Skull! Razorback! Random! Razor-Fist! Rogue!)

Post by L-Space »

I always really liked Rogue, she had good ratio of attitude with pathos, while having one of the most classic cases of great yet sucky powers. I didn't even really mind when she lost her flying brick powers, since even without she's still formidable. It's too bad she hasn't gotten much use as of late, I wonder if part of it is because of her portrayal in the X-men films.

And for the record, while Jim Lee does have the best rogue costume, I find the green hooded one pretty decent too.
Formerly luketheduke86
Ken

Re: Rogue

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:24 am God, all of Rogue's costumes suck except the Jim Lee one.
Wow. He got something right. Maybe he had an editor kibitzing with him.

Jabroniville

Ramrod (Robot)

Post by Jabroniville »

RAMROD I
Created By:
Allyn Brodsky & Gerry Conway
First Appearance: Iron Man #36 (April 1971)
Role: Super Robot
PL 9 (107)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA -- AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Technology 4 (+3)
Intimidation 8 (+7)

Advantages: 
Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Super-Robot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Power-Lifting 1 (100 tons) [1]
Protection 11 (Extras: Impervious 9) [20]
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +1

Complications:
Responsibility (The Foreman's Will)- Ramrod is to do the Foreman's bidding, and prepare a section of Manhattan for the arrival of The Changers.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 67 / Defenses: 9 (107)

-Ramrod was a forgettable one-shot villain, setting out to flatten a section of Manhattan for The Changers to arrive and determine the sustainability of Earth for their goals (they were supposed to terraform/repurpose the world for the benefit of new owners). The Unofficial Appendix to the Marvel Universe can't figure out how he was able to fight Iron Man to a standstill in one issue (basically being impossible to even harm), then casually disposed of with Repulsor Blasts the very next issue with no explanation. I mean, New Villain Stink has a tendency to wear off, but that's pretty extreme, even for COMICS. In any case, he's basically a Flying Brick Robot build, enough to challenge Iron Man one second, but job the next (Iron Man in the early 1970s was probably barely PL 10).

-Other members of WorldForm, Inc. include The Changers (standard Robots who are being controlled by The Foreman with a dominator helmet) and The Foreman himself, who is basically just some guy with a Laser Gun who can't hold up to someone like Iron Man, who knocked his Dominator Helmet off, killing him (since unknowingly, the device was holding back The Foreman's aging process). Silly, silly story.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Rogue

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:06 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:24 am God, all of Rogue's costumes suck except the Jim Lee one.
Wow. He got something right. Maybe he had an editor kibitzing with him.
Poor Jim. Such artistic talent (if you can ignore the "same face" issue), such poor writing and editorial results. He really does draw my favorite Superman and Batman, though.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum