Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Spaceknights

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

THE SPACEKNIGHTS
Created By:
Scott Dankman, Richard C. Levy & Bryan L. McCoy
First Appearance: Rom- Spaceknight #1 (Dec. 1979- comics)
Role: Why You Don't Make Things You Don't Own Into Canon
Group Affiliations: The Galadorian Spaceknights
PL 9 (173)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Spaceknight) 8 (+10)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Technology 5 (+7)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Neutralizer), Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Plandanium Armor"
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 11) [13]
Regeneration 4 [4]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
"Drain Power Sources" Weaken Energy Stores 10 (Extras: Affects Objects Only +0) [10]

"Backpack Rockets"
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]

"Analyzer" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
"Detect True Image" Senses 14 (Vision Counters Illusion, Detect Energy- Analytical 2, Detect Dire Wraiths- Radius & Ranged 7) (14 points)

"Universal Translator" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [3]
Comprehend 2 (Languages) (4)
Enhanced Advantages 1: Eidetic Memory) (1)
-- (5 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (The Dire Wraiths)- The Spaceknights have sacrificed their humanity in order to combat the Dire Wraiths.
Responsibility (Galador)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 68 / Defenses: 10 (173)

-The Spaceknights are treated like disposable Jobbers in Rom's book (almost every mini-bio I've read of a recurring Spaceknight involves them dying in the end), though are actually quite powerful. In modern Marvel books, they're treated as beyond something like a regular Nova Corps. member, to the point where when Bug of the Guardians of the Galaxy (remember that HE was a debuting member of the modern-day team?) challenged one, the Nova Worldmind essentially went "WARNING: You are unlikely to survive a direct conflict with a Galadorian Spaceknight." They're more akin to Green Lanterns than Novas, even if they tend to go down in Rom's book. The upper-tier guys in Rom's book were likely PL 10s, as a band of them were able to take out Terrax the Tamer, back when he was actually respected as a powerhouse.

-Spaceknights apparently all have their own unique weapons, which I've just now learned. Seriously, you're not gonna find a lot of info online about these guys. I guess fans of Rom: Spaceknight are more like DC fans than Gruenwaldian Marvel fans.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Razor-Fist! Rogue! Red Sonja! Rising Sons! Rom!)

Post by Ken »

When Brandy Clark became a Spaceknight, it was a good morning, and the Earth said hello.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:40 am I can see it now...

Micronauts.
PL: I don't know
Skills: Who cares?
Powers: Uh.... I think they're small and stuff.
*sigh* I wonder what Idina Menzel is doing right now?
GET... OUT... OF... MY HEAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:39 am Oooh, I'll have to look further on the new Big Hero Six series.

Sounds like you have a world heroes concept coming up?
Sort of- I'm posting up the Contest of Champions characters not yet posted (they're actually my oldest ATT-only 3rd Edition builds, now!), but I'll include a couple of other guys. But I'm not sure whether or not to include the Russian super-characters I last statted up in Feb. 2016, or the Big Hero Six (three years ago).

Meh- might as well re-post Big Hero Six, at least. It's been a fair bit of time, and they ARE making a new TV show. I can't wait to see more of Aunt Ass... I mean, Aunt Cass.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And for once, I've anticipated American Thanksgiving, aka the day the entire internet goes dark. I swear it takes me by surprise so many times, and I grow more horrified with each passing moment as I realize that NOBODY POSTS, nobody responds to my thread, and nobody even posts another build. I always fear the impending doom of the forum... only to realize that no, it's just Americans and their odd "Disappear off the face of the Earth" holiday, because I guess you all just watch TV or shop or something. Seriously, CHRISTMAS is less busy than your Thanksgiving!

I was originally going to post an assorted pile of random guys before I got to the "R" section- they've been completed for weeks, but the realization that I'd actually be posted important builds on the 23rd made me take a step back and do otherwise. Instead, tomorrow you'll probably just see me re-post that silly System Crash team to Echoes, because chances are nobody's going to be paying attention anyways :).
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

It's interesting you posted Rogue and Rom so close to each other. According to one reviewer, Rom actually played a role in Rogue's heel/face turn. During a battle between Rom, the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants, Rogue attempted to drain some or Rom's power, since as a cyborg he technically had enough biological matter for her powers to affect (whereas someone like Wonder Man was immune to her power due to being mostly energy in a human-shaped container). However, instead of draining his powers, she got hit full force with his nobility, humanity and desire to do good, so much so that it would make her question her own life and start her down the path to redemption.

Rogue herself I always liked, but I'll admit to liking the spunky, confident southern belle over other interpretations of the character. The X-Men: Evolution take on her was interesting and entertaining, but I liked how Rogue basically tried to remain a cheerful person in-spite of her powers.

I also always got a laugh out of X-3 where they reveal to the world that there's a "mutant cure". Rogue is overjoyed at this prospect, while Storm gets angry at the idea, saying "There's nothing wrong with us! We don't need to be cured!" Said the tall, beautiful woman whose powers don't adversely affect her life to the girl who can't touch anyone without potentially killing them.

And while I think some versions of Rogue's hooded outfit look good, her Jim Lee outfit is definitely the best.

As for Rom, it's unlikely Marvel will ever regain the rights to the character. IDW recently added Rom to their "Mattel-verse" along with Transformers, G.I. Joe, Micronauts, MASK, Action Man and a few other franchises. Marvel and IDW could technically work out some agreement to reprint the old comics in trade format, similar to how Darkhorse got the rights to publish Marvel's Conan stories, but it'd likely take some effort.

Not to be bitter, but I look at Rom and Marvel and, as a Captain Marvel fan, want to go, "Not so fun now is it?"

One amusing thing is how the IDW Rom comic plays up Rom's alien nature. See, Rom was a character of 80s comics, where character dialogue was frequently more bombastic, grandiose and exposition heavy. Everyone in comics tended to talk and think that way. Well, what they've done is keep Rom speaking in that manner while everyone else speaks more or less like a normal person. It does wind up making Rom come off as from a very different culture.

And yeah, Rom was actually pretty strong. I'd peg him at roughly Ben Grimm level, as he seemed to hold his own against guys like Ben, Colossus and Namor pretty evenly, and only ever seemed physically outmatched against a Hulk who was losing himself to truly bestial levels of rage. The idea that he was only a 15-tonner is HILARIOUS given some of the people he went up against.

And the Space Knights as a whole are a pretty awesome concept. It's basically a Green Lantern Corps. made of Cosmic Iron Men, where each Space Knight is a flying brick with FTL flight, life support, a translator, sensory equipment, and some unique extra ability or weapon.

Hammerhand, for instance, was a hand-to-hand combat expert whose punches could actually knock out guys like Terrax.
Javalin had a polearm that held up to Terrax's axe.
Starshine had intense eye beams and holographic projection.
Firefall could produce massive amounts of "living flame" that could injure or kill a deathwing.
Terminator was on par with Rom physically and had some eye beams.

The third generation Space Knights actually had it a lot better than the first and second generations. The first and second generation Knights were actually cyborgs who had most of their original bodies stored cyrogenically while their brains and a few vital organs were put into robotic bodies. The third generation Knights had their armor stored in a sub-space field around them that they could summon at will.

So yeah, the whole Rom mess is worth it if only for the Space Knight concept, which Marvel should really use more frequently. I mean, unless I'm misunderstanding things, the whole trademark/copyright bit should allow them to have a completely human Rom appear in the comics, they just can't have his name on the cover of the comics.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds! (Rogue! Red Sonja! Rising Sons! Rom & The Spaceknights!)

Post by drkrash »

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans! Happy Thursday to the rest of you! I'm thankful for Echoes of the Multiverse!

(I just wanted to make sure Jab had a new post today.)
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

I'm just mad how they were so frakking vague on all of Rom's equipment. basically they decided the Neutralizer neutralized... everything. regardless of rank. It just did it. It also sent Dire Wraiths to limbo. no rolls needed nothing, they just went. Humans, though, were fried in the process. Really dislike it when weapons and equipment are more hand waved like this.

Here's the exact wording from the marvel game from my write-up of Rom. It's basically a "do you hit? It goes away." type thing.
Neutralizer: Rom’s only actual weapon. Capable of neutralizing energy fields, when the Neutralizer’s beam is trained on a Dire Wraith, the target is hurled into a dimensional Limbo. Full-Power, the Neutralizer could kill a human being, but Rom rarely did this as full Karma penalties applied.
  • At its lowest setting, the Neutralizer can neutralize radiation poisoning. Only Dire Wraiths could be sent to Limbo; humans could not withstand the energy release necessary.
  • Anyone trying to use the Neutralizer, except Rom, would take Monstrous (75) Damage.
It's lazy and I hate it. I'll be doing an update with some actual rules at some point.

As to the other Space Knights, I loved the first generation ones. Never read anything except the final issues of Rom with the second gen in them. Those others are a mystery to me but one looks like a converted Angel Elite. Honestly, I think Worldmind was giving them to much credit in his warning. They all appeared to be mid-tier heroes around Spiderman level separately.

I should have my version of the Micronauts ready for FASERIP right after I'm done with the alphabetical listings. It should be a fun time.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I've always liked the idea of the Space Knights and the Nova Corps (prior to the corps most recent destruction they were actually shown to be quite powerful with their energy and gravity manipulation abilities) the two groups should be more of a 'thing' in the MU, seen at least as often as the Imperial Guard.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ive always been a Rogue fan as well the characters design visually appealed to me especially in the leather Jacket era. Plus there was some fun flirty stuff between her and Logan that I saw story potential with to the point that in my head canon rogue and logan ended up together because his healing factor meant he was one of the few people she could touch without killing. Also the cheerful aspect of her personality was a favorite as well, optimism despite her situation lack of personal touch has to drive you crazy because we as a species need to touch and be touched by people, its ingrained into us from birth literaly.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Reptyl

Post by Jabroniville »

REPTYL (aka Capt'n Reptyl)
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Joe Staton
First Appearance: The Silver Surfer #11 (May 1988)
Role: Space Pirate
Group Affiliations: The Weapon Plus Program
PL 12 (191)
STRENGTH
9/13 STAMINA 9/13 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (Space Pirate) 7 (+10)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+6, +8 Size)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Pirate Stuff), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Unfeeling Reptile" Immunity 10 (Emotion Effects) [10]
Regeneration 6 [6]

"Reptyl Prime Upgrades"
"Natural Size" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Impervious Toughness 11 [11]
Energy Blast 12 [24]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]

"Laser Sword" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [7]
Deflect 10 (Extras: Reflect) (Flaws: Limited to Energy) (10)
  • AE: "Laser Slash" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
-- (11 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Laser Sword +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Reptyl Prime Unarmed +10 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Energy Blast +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+8 Size, DC 18), Parry +10 (+8 Size, DC 18), Toughness +9 (+13 R. Prime), Fortitude +9 (+13 R. Prime), Will +6

Complications:
Hatred (Humanoids)

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 81 / Defenses: 10 (191)

-Cap'n Reptyl is a ruthless, emotionless reptilian Space Pirate created by the uber-druggie Steve Englehart. He teamed up with the Skrulls during the Kree/Skrull War, mangled The Super-Skrull badly, but was eventually killed by him. He was later reanimated into a more monstrous form, challenging The Silver Surfer, but was beaten and escaped, soon going back to Space Piracy. He turns up later in an older, more haggard appearance (comics are WEIRD), teaming with a clone of Thanos to do some stuff, and becomes The God of Pirates (comics are... wait, I just said that), but is soon defeated. I mainly know who he is because of the ads featuring him for that GOD-AWFUL Silver Surfer NES game, one of the hardest Nintendo Hard games ever, which actually used NORRIN FREAKING RADD in a "One hit and you're dead" video game.

-Cap'n Reptyl is at first a PL 10 Space Pirate dude who feels no emotions (rendering him Immune to interaction effects or Starfox's Emotion Control ability), but later turns into both Reptyl Prime and The God of Pirates, both of which make him a PL 11.5 Powerhouse with an Energy Blast.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And that's it for the "R" builds! Anyone else is better off being part of a "themed group" or something.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

ROM wasn't the only licensed franchise to be put into Marvel continuity.
There was also the "Shogun Warriors" comic, which was based on a Mattel toyline, that was, in turn, based on designs imported from various Japanese super robot animes. Marvel only licensed three Shogun Warriors for the stories, but it's still really weird.
Jabroniville

System Crash

Post by Jabroniville »

SYSTEM CRASH:
-This beautiful band of horrible Jobbers debuted in the crap years of the Daredevil book, back in the mid 1990s. They started off as a band of hackers, then moved to generic supervillainy- Baron Strucker hires them to take control of the internet and cause chaos and create anarchy, from which HYDRA would benefit. A lot of their early missions involved killing people to keep missions a secret (Killobyte- yes there was one guy named "Killobyte"- killed HIMSELF to ensure this!). This story arc involved Daredevil teaming up with Gambit and Captain America (the '90s was FULL of random cross-overs like this), and DD eventually destroyed their ship which killed Bitmap, Technospike and the SECOND Killobyte (the first one's brother, convinced by Strucker to take up his old role)! Then, when they captured the remaining members, STEEL COLLAR committed suicide! What is UP with this story?!

-And that's it! That's the end! A very weird bloodbath of a story, involving some characters we never saw again.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Bitmap

Post by Jabroniville »

BITMAP
Created By:
D.G. Chichester & Scott McDaniel
First Appearance: Daredevil #326 (March 1994)
Group Affiliations: System Crash
Role: One-Shot Villain
PL 7 (92)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (HYDRA Agent) 3 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Technology 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Liquid Body"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 4 [4]
Insubstantial 2 [10]
Elongation 3 [3]
"Liquid Body-Shaping Weapons" Strength-Damage +4 [4]
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Weapons +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude --, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Involuntary Transformation (Liquid)- Bitmap is held together in a containment suit- if it is ruptured, he loses cohesive form. Also, he is in danger of "dispersing" if he contacts other liquids while in this form.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 12 (92)

-Bitmap was liquid in a containment suit- at the story's end, he fell into the waters of Upper New York Bay and hasn't been seen since.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.