Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Rom! Cardiaxe! Marville! Black Box & Swan! Chessmen!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:59 am She is also, or was also, a real person. Actually, at least two real people.
I was wondering why there was a painting of a different person on her ComicVine page.
Jabroniville

The Corruptor

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CORRUPTOR (Jackson Day)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: Nova #4 (Dec. 1976)
Role: Mind-Controller, Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Hand, The Red Mafia
PL 11 (118)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Pharmaceutical Factory Worker) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Daze (Deception), Defensive Attack, Improved Defense

Powers:
"Inhibition-Releasing Psycho-active Drug"
Affliction 14 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Progressive +2) (42) -- [43]
  • AE: Affliction 14 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Psychotic Aggression) (Extras: Progressive +2) (42)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Inhibition Release +8 (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- The Corruptor enjoys controlling people, and always strives for more pawns, even at great risk to himself.
Power Loss (Touching Skin)- The Corruptor must tough an individual's skin to control them properly. This is not usually a problem, but Iron Man or others would be largely immune.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 16 (118)

-The Corruptor is actually my oldest non-reposted solo character- he dates from January 2011, which is insane. I just never got around to re-posting him- most other guys are parts of sets, villains of specific heroes, and more, but The Corruptor got missed in all that mess, so he's more than six years old as a build.

-The Corruptor's your everyday generic Mind-Controlling Villain, a tried & true concept, built around getting the heroes to do his bidding, such as forcing them to fight each other. He's... well, he's just not that interesting. He releases a Psycho-active drug through skin-to-skin contact and controls people, but he appears to have few goals or real motivations aside from "controlling people", and he's always been a D-Leaguer, standing out only thanks to his dark blue skin and red eyes. He debuted in Nova, which is probably why he never took off in a big way (that was a pretty minor 1970s book)- a factory worker who has a "Scientific Accident" kind of origin. He fought and lost to Nova, then moved on to the Hulk's book, where his plan actually led to the creation of The Rangers when Rick Jones sent out an "S.O.S." in the American Southwest.

-He's appeared a few times in the modern era, having controlled the Squadron Supreme when they came to the mainstream Marvel Universe, a prisoner on The Raft, and he's been one of The Hood's goons as well. He faced the New Warriors during a "helping out small towns" gimmick of theirs, and lost to Union Jack in London. Generally speaking... if you don't want to use The Purple Man, you use The Corruptor.

-Corruptor feels odd at PL 11, but really, he's a VERY powerful Controller-type, requiring skin contact, but being able to keep his control all the time (Progression, basically). Such is his power that guys like Thor, The Hulk, and others are all easily-controlled, despite most of them being pretty high in terms of will. This makes him tricky, but VERY one-note- he will NOT be able to stand up to any kind of punishment, and the rest of his build is based around avoiding damage. The Corruptor's powers work by either Controlling people, or, if he cannot give them instructions, Transforming them into mindless savages who attack everything in sight. Both are Fortitude-based.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Carlo Strange

Post by Jabroniville »

DOCTOR CARLO STRANGE
Created By:
Stan Lee, Larry Lieber & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Tales of Suspense #41 (May 1963)
Group Affiliations: None
Role: Forgotten Villain, Mad Scientist
PL 2 (48), PL 4 (48) Scientist
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Technology 8 (+14)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Lab, Private Island), Inventor, Ranged Attack 3

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Power)
Relatonship (Carla- Daughter)- Carlos has been neglecting his daughter for years, and his guilt makes him wish to give her "the entire world".

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (48)

-A Doctor Strange that predates the more famous one, this Strange is a Mad Scientist who had been neglecting his daughter Carla. His guilt became an obsession, and he promised to give her the entire world in order to see her happy. He took control of Iron Man with a "Mental Amplifying Device", surrounded his private island with a force field, then made a series of atomic bombs powerful enough to destroy the planet and blackmail world leaders. He ended up defeated by Carla, who stated that she only wanted a father who spent time with her.

-Carlos Strange is a pretty typical Mad Scientist- they could all pretty much be defined by this build. Lots of genius; very little people skills.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Chief Examiner

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CHIEF EXAMINER
Created By:
Scott Adams, John Byrne, Mark Gruenwald, Bill Mantlo & John Romita
First Appearance: Questprobe #1 (Aug. 1984)
Role: Analyzer and Death-Trap Creator
PL 5 (114)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Expertise (Science) 7 (+14)
Technology 7 (+14)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Portal to Another Dimension, Analyzer of Super-Beings)

Powers:
"Computer Facscimile"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
"Self-Levitation" Flight 2 (Flaws: Low Ceiling) [2]
"Invisibility" Concealment 2 (Vision) [4]
"Intangibility" Insubstantial 4 [20]
"Reprogram Computers" Transform 4 (Computer Programming To Another Kind) (Extras: Continuous) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Analyzing & Copying Superhumans)
Responsibility (The Will of Durgan)- The Examiner was created by Durgan the Philosopher, and is supposed to follow very specific programming. However, he frequently rebels against it.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 76 / Defenses: 1 (114)

-Dear God have I been wondering about this one for a while. Having seen him as one of the more odd names on "The List" way back in 2014, I think I planned on including him in a few of the "List Batches" I once did, but kept dropping him. I think because his bio seemed boring, or he seemed to be a difficult build. Looking at him again, I'm not sure why I did, because I surely would've remembered a bio like this. But now I'm FINALLY getting to him!

-The Chief Examiner was featured in a Questprobe comic book that was just an advertisement for a computer game that featured Marvel characters- they were sold alongside the text-based game's discs. He is an alien being who studies superhumans by forcing them through deathtrap-scenarios, then creates duplicates of that being. He does this in order to help his race fight off the evil Black Fleet, as his own people are pacifists. Naturally, this (and the game) resulted in Marvel's characters being thrown into his deathtraps. He analyzed Spider-Man, The Thing, She-Hulk, Human Torch and the X-Men (plus Magneto), and then disappeared.

-The creator, Scott Adams (not the Dilbert guy) was the maker of the games, but his company went bankrupt before the fourth (the X-Men one) came out- the final chapter was thus released in a Marvel Fanfare issue (back when that book was used for industry interviews, sneak peaks and "stuff we couldn't publish").

-He next appeared in... guess what?... are you ready for it?... QUASAR, written by Mark Gruenwald, of course! He captured Kayla Ballantine, Quasar's girlfriend (and then-wielder of the Star Brand), but the Examiner was destroyed when he tried to analyze the vastness of her powers. However, Kayla then destroyed the Black Fleet with the Star Brand, eliminating the invaders.

-The Chief Examiner possesses no battlefield capability, but is pretty much impossible to hurt.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: The Chief Examiner

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:26 pm Image

THE CHIEF EXAMINER
Created By:
Huh..I wasn't aware that there were TWO "debuted in a computer game/tie-in comic" Marvel guys! The one I was aware of is Rattan, who appeared in the Spider-Man and Captain America in Doctor Doom's Revenge comic and game. (The game is awful, however.) Sadly, he's not really that interesting aside from debuting in a computer game, since he's just a human-level mercenary dude with escrima sticks who is supposedly a Captain America enemy, and he hasn't appeared in anything else, so he might not even be in continuity. Still, they even went out of their way to make a "Handbook of the Marvel Universe" style bio for him:
So that's pretty neat! His name was also mentioned in that now-dead Avengers Alliance free-to-play web game.
Jabroniville

Brassknuckles

Post by Jabroniville »

BRASSKNUCKLES (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Simon Furman & John Royle
First Appearance: Death Metal #2 (Feb. 1994)
Role: Filler Villain
PL 8 (90)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Military) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
Equipment 4 (Guns +6-8), Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"Killer Cyborg"
Regeneration 7 [7]
Power-Lifting 1 (25 tons) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Gun +8 (+6-8 Ranged Damage, DC 21-23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +9, Fortitude +9, Will +3

Complications: 
Motivation (Masochism)- Brassknuckles really seeks his own death- "the buzz... from that death kick... I need it!"

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 10 (90)

-The idiotic Brassknuckles is a Class 25 Killer Cyborg who seeks his own death in battle. He fought Death Metal, Mys-TECH and others wishing for his demise, and was goaded by D.M. into joining him on a dangerous mission. Alas, for both him and us, he survived. He hasn't reappeared outside of Death Metal's mini-series.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Marie Laveau

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:36 am ImageImageImage

No, I don't know why she's white in the one picture.

MARIE LAVEAU
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Dracula Lives #2 (Sept. 1973)
Role: Magic Fanservice

-Marie Laveau is a voodoo priestess who was enslaved by the Silver Dagger, the anti-magic foe of Dr. Strange. When she recovered, she stabbed S.D. and foiled his plans. She began aging suddenly when the Montesi Formula wiped out vampires from the Earth- it turned out she had been keeping herself young for two hundred years by harvesting vampire blood, and this was now not an option. She tracked down Michael Morbius, the "Pseudo-Vampire", in order to find another source of blood, and transformed him back into his "Living Vampire" state. However, his blood was unable to sustain her.

-She reappeared when Victor Strange (Stephen's brother) showed up as a vampire, and turned him into her love-slave. Then she resurrected Varnae, the original Vampire, setting the stage for vampires to return to Earth- dooming thousands simply because she wanted to remain young forever. A sexy Voodoo Priestess, she resembles Calypso in some ways, but is largely focused around "Vampire Stories", appearing only in those.
I actually used her for an old-school MSH game last weekend.Statted out a slightly specific magic weilder and she can be a real problem for a street-level hero team.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:26 pm Image

THE CHIEF EXAMINER
Created By:
PL 5 (114)

-He next appeared in... guess what?... are you ready for it?... QUASAR, written by Mark Gruenwald, of course! He captured Kayla Ballantine, Quasar's girlfriend (and then-wielder of the Star Brand), but the Examiner was destroyed when he tried to analyze the vastness of her powers. So I guess we never found out what happened to his alien race.

-The Chief Examiner possesses no battlefield capability, but is pretty much impossible to hurt.
From what I remember from the Quasar issue, the Chief Examiner had actually transported Kayla to the alien homeworld, as it was being attacked by the Black Fleet. They had constructed some giant Chief Examiner using the powers of various heroes to fight the invasion, but the construct was destroyed. Kayla then used the power of the Starbrand and singlehandedly wiped out the invaders.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Rom! Marville! Black Box & Swan! Chessmen! The Corruptor!)

Post by Jabroniville »

so yeah, Chief Examiner has been interesting me for a while. Brassknuckles came from a Marvunapp search. The idea of another "Dr. Strange" intrigued me, though I was correct in guessing he was a forgotten Silver Age guy.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Rom! Marville! Black Box & Swan! Chessmen! The Corruptor!)

Post by Jabroniville »

COCO:
-I FINALLY had a day off with enough time to see Coco (aka I would have been on the fence except for the Frozen short, like the live-action Cinderella movie"). It was good- it's WAY too "Typical Disney Story" in the beginning, right down to the "Quirk Outsider Nobody Understands Who Is Told Not To Do THE THING", who dreams of doing THE THING. He gains a Whacky Buddy and a cartoonish Animal Sidekick and does stuff, etc. It even has the "Standard Disney Villain Moment" that they're repeating WAY too much these days.

But then after a twist I didn't see coming until right before it happened, the movie got MUCH better. Really good, suspenseful and interesting. I kinda wish they'd pulled the trick sooner.

I found the music pretty sub-par, despite the Frozen songwriters, but the genre of "Mexican Music" isn't really my thing. The cityscape in the Land of the Dead is REALLY amazing- reminding me of the detail of Zootopia, but amplified in color and scenery- too much to really look at while the movie is going on, sadly. Also, the mom character is pregnant. Just thought I'd share that.

The Grandmother character is the best CGI creation I've ever seen- SO MANY WRINKLES- it was staggering to look at. Especially since they actually TOOK THEIR TIME with her, being unafraid to hold the camera steady and just watch her face. Too many CGI movies (including this one, really) just blitz through everything in a wave of motion.

It'll probably safely make a ton of money. Good movie that had twinges of greatness.

Olaf's Frozen Adventure:
Oh thank God it was good. As Frozenmania continues unabated, I was fearful this'd be awful, as the Cash Grab is already underway in stores. The Merch has been pretty huge, with even goofy stuff like THE KITTEN being turned into collectible dolls, when it's there for like one scene. It used every character perfectly, though Kristoff is now getting known entirely as "That Quirky Weirdo".

They've hit a good balance with Elsa- she was a bit too silly in Frozen Fever, because of the comedic nature of the story, so there's this danger with her... she spends all of the original film in various states of distress, so "Happy Elsa" is something that feels out of character. Therefore, they did a good job making her very stoic, pensive and guilt-ridden over how she's ruined all their past Christmases. And because Elsa's so stoic and "nothing gets to me", and Idina Menzel has such great comic timing, "Funny Elsa" is actually REALLY good and takes you by surprise. Especially her reactions to Kristoff's gross traditions. Elsa's face when Anna goes "Woah- GROSS!" is HILARIOUS.

And thankfully Olaf was handled well. Last thing he was in was a one-off shot in Sofia the First, where he was just NON-STOP gags and rambling, which got old very fast. Too Much Olaf can be bad in the wrong hands, but this had the right level of slapstick and silliness, with a TON of really good jokes. The sight gags are fun, too (pooping out an entire fruitcake), and his "train of thought" style of speech is handled well ("-and then a hawk took it").

Best moment: "You're a Princess- you don't have to settle"

Best Actual Thing: ELSA'S FREAKING DRESS OH MY GOD LOOK AT THIS THING! It's almost a tragedy they didn't go for a "Full Dramatic Reveal" of it, as she just pops into a room wearing it like she'd always had it on. But holy crap- bare shoulders, animal fur collar, bejeweled front- they REALLY want you to buy that doll (of course I haven't. Haven't displayed it prominenty in my bedroom, either).

The "Toyetic" nature of the thing will cause some eyes to roll, of course. One-off gags (the candy-cane nose; the kitten in the sweater) get full-blown stuffed animals, there's a doll set with every major character, plus a two-pack with Elsa & Anna, Christmas decorations, a friggin' CASTLE display... they REALLY want more of that sweet, sweet Frozen Merch in stores. Meanwhile, Coco only has a smidgen of stuff out- no more than your typical Disney/Pixar anything. I have to think that tying the Frozen juggernaut to Coco is a cynical attempt to boost what they feared might be more of a "niche" movie with a Minority Cast (which typically don't sell as well as White Princesses or Animals).

One note: the Frozen short is TWENTY MINUTES LONG, which means that kids are sitting in the theatre for a two-hour run-time. Apparently it's causing some annoyance with parents of antsy children. That's a long time to ask them to sit down. Especially since Frozen and Coco aren't QUITE the same genre.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:13 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:26 pm
From what I remember from the Quasar issue, the Chief Examiner had actually transported Kayla to the alien homeworld, as it was being attacked by the Black Fleet. They had constructed some giant Chief Examiner using the powers of various heroes to fight the invasion, but the construct was destroyed. Kayla then used the power of the Starbrand and singlehandedly wiped out the invaders.
Cool! Added!
Jabroniville

The Death-Throws

Post by Jabroniville »

THE DEATH-THROWS:
-The Death-Throws are a gang brought together by The Ringleader and the Healey Brothers (Oddball & Tenpin), joining up with Knicknack to capture Hawkeye as part of Crossfire's revenge plot. When he couldn't pay them, the team held HIM for ransom, but were soon beaten by Clint, Mockingbird & Captain America. Soon, they added Bombshell to the team, but she sprang off onto her own a bit, getting some play in background scenes in other books. The team vanished for years (Oddball going off on his own, joining Doc Ock's Masters of Evil, then getting killed), before recruiting a new Oddball and reforming in modern times.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Oddball I & II

Post by Jabroniville »

ODDBALL I (Elton Healey)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald
First Appearance: Hawkeye #3 (Nov. 1983)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Death-Throws, The Masters of Evil
PL 8 (106)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Juggler) 9 (+13) -- Can 'hold' multiple objects at once with a Skill check
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Juggling Balls) 3 (+11)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Juggling Ball), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Ultimate Aim

Powers:
"Array of Juggling Balls" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [19]
"Exploding Balls" Blast 6 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (19) -- (31 points)
  • AE: "Acid Balls" Blast 4 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Diminished Range -1) Linked to Weaken Toughness 4 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged) (Diminished Range -1) (18)
  • AE: "Spiked Balls" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged 4, Multiattack 4) (Diminished Range -1) (11)
  • AE: "Knockout Gas Balls" Affliction 5 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Magnesium Flare Balls" Dazzle Visuals 5 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Diminished Range -1) (11)
  • AE: "Siren Balls" Dazzle Hearing 5 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Super-Adhesive Balls" Snare 5 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Smoke Balls" Concealment (Visuals) 6 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Attack +0) (Diminished Range -1) (19)
  • AE: "Tear Gas Balls" Affliction 5 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired Vision/Stunned & Disabled Vision/Incapacitated) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Sense) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Sulfur Balls" Affliction 5 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Incapacitated) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Itching Powder Balls" Affliction 5 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Magnetic Balls" Move Object 6 (Flaws: Limited to Metals, Limited to Attraction) (Diminished Range -1) (2)
  • AE: "Marbles" Affliction 8 (Dodge/Acrobatics; Hindered/Prone) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded) (Diminished Range -1) (5)
Offense:
Exploding Balls +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Acid Balls +11 (+4 Damage & Weaken, DC 19 & 14)
Spiked Balls +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Affliction Balls +11 (+5 Ranged Affliction, DC 15)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Enemy (Hawkeye)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 14 (106)

-I swear to God, this is a real character, created by Mark Gruenwald, the Patron Saint of Jobbers. Oddball is a member of the "Death-Throws" a team of juggling super-villains. Again, not making that up. They were Hawkeye's own recurring foes, which is probably why his comic books keep getting cancelled, and why he got casually killed off that one time. These guys suck on the level of most Morts, and I'm actually surprised they're not more famous, since they're SO over-the-top silly- they've got "Stilt-Man Recognizability" all over them. Oddball actually has the "best" costume out of the lot of them, and by far the coolest power-set- he's sorta the Hawkeye/Boomerang of Juggling Balls- having one of each type, juggling them to and fro while he fights people.

-Of course, this made him the biggest TARGET of the Death-Throws, and so he was casually murdered by Headhunter in that Wolverine arc that killed Forearm, when everyone was in a tournament in Madripoor, and it was mostly lameoids with Logan & Mr. X fighting. There's currently a NEW Oddball, Orville Bock, as apparently someone thought this gimmick was so awesome that it just HAD to be filled as soon as possible.

-Oddball's a true Mort, a PL 8 joke villain who can actually be pretty dangerous at points (Exploding, Acid, Snare, and a half-dozen kinds of Dazzles & Concealment Attacks), like most Gimmick-Guys and their multiple Alt-Effects of one kind of thing. I gave him a "Juggling" skill to showcase his ability to do stuff while still 'holding' several different items at once (this doesn't really have much of an in-game effect short of possibly being used to impress people- it's basically an Easily Removable Device that can be handily-lost otherwise).

ODDBALL II (Orville Bock)
Created By:
Christos Gage & Mike Perkins
First Appearance: Union Jack #1 (Nov. 2006)
Role: Jobber Villain, Legacy Character
Group Affiliations: The Death-Throws
PL 8 (106)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Juggler) 9 (+13) -- Can 'hold' multiple objects at once with a Skill check
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Juggling Balls) 3 (+11)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Juggling Ball), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Ultimate Aim

Powers:
"Array of Juggling Balls" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [19]
"Exploding Balls" Blast 6 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (19) -- (31 points)
  • AE: "Acid Balls" Blast 4 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Diminished Range -1) Linked to Weaken Toughness 4 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged) (Diminished Range -1) (18)
  • AE: "Spiked Balls" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged 4, Multiattack 4) (Diminished Range -1) (11)
  • AE: "Knockout Gas Balls" Affliction 5 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Magnesium Flare Balls" Dazzle Visuals 5 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Diminished Range -1) (11)
  • AE: "Siren Balls" Dazzle Hearing 5 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Super-Adhesive Balls" Snare 5 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Smoke Balls" Concealment (Visuals) 6 (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Attack +0) (Diminished Range -1) (19)
  • AE: "Tear Gas Balls" Affliction 5 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired Vision/Stunned & Disabled Vision/Incapacitated) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Sense) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Sulfur Balls" Affliction 5 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Incapacitated) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Itching Powder Balls" Affliction 5 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Diminished Range -1) (16)
  • AE: "Magnetic Balls" Move Object 6 (Flaws: Limited to Metals, Limited to Attraction) (Diminished Range -1) (2)
  • AE: "Marbles" Affliction 8 (Dodge/Acrobatics; Hindered/Prone) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded) (Diminished Range -1) (5)
Offense:
Exploding Balls +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Acid Balls +11 (+4 Damage & Weaken, DC 19 & 14)
Spiked Balls +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Affliction Balls +11 (+5 Ranged Affliction, DC 15)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 14 (106)

-So with the original Oddball dead, I guess the next writer just REALLY wanted to use one, and so an identical replacement was created. He showed up in, of all places, a Union Jack book, as Jack and Sabra teamed up to take out the Death-Throws, who'd been hired by Crossfire to blow up Tower Bridge. Because when you want a job done right, you call THE DEATH-THROWS. To date, the character has made two appearances in more than ten years- once in Union Jack, and once in Loki: Agent of Asgard.

-I made Oddball II identical to the first one. Hey, it's not like Marvel put any effort into him, either.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Ringleader

Post by Jabroniville »

Hee- that's a great panel.

RINGLEADER (Charlie Last)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Paul Neary
First Appearance: Captain America #317 (May 1986)
PL 7 (83)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Juggler) 5 (+9) -- Can 'hold' multiple objects at once with a Skill check
Perception 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Razor Rings) 3 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 3 (Razor Rings), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Juggling Ring), Improved Smash, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork, Ultimate Aim

Equipment:
"Razor Rings" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Ricochet) (Extras: Ranged 4, Multiattack 4) (Diminished Range -1) (11)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Razor Rings +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (83)

-Ringleader (again, reiterating that I am not making these characters up) is the leader of the "Death-Throws", despite having one of the worst costumes and most limited offense of the entire team, and generally being less of a character than Oddball was. He's not a particularly charismatic fellow; he's just some guy who happens to be leading the team. It's kind of strange that Oddball is not the leader of the team, given that he's the original member and the one with the distinctive costume and "look". I guess he just isn't the leadership type.

-Ringleader's a rather well-built black dude, but he's more limited than Oddball (funny as THAT concept is to believe) because all he has are "Razor-Rings", which I've statted up as Equipment (since they're just sharp rings, versus Oddball's Gadget Array) that he can toss multiples of for a Multiattack effect. It's not a BAD PL 7 gimmick, but he doesn't have the sheer array of strikes that the rest of the team has. So he's kind of a weak PL 7 with some Combat Advantages to mess with his caps a bit (mostly the same as Oddball's, though). He's not AWFUL, per se, but guys like Captain America & Hawkeye will demolish him in one or two rounds if he's alone.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Tenpin

Post by Jabroniville »

TENPIN (Alvin Healey)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Paul Neary
First Appearance: Captain America #317 (May 1986)
PL 6 (80)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Juggler) 4 (+8) -- Can 'hold' multiple objects at once with a Skill check
Perception 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Tenpins) 3 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 2 (Tenpins), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Tenpins), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Set-Up, Ranged Attack 3, Ultimate Aim, Teamwork

Equipment:
"Tenpins- Juggling Clubs" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Ranged 3, Multiattack 3) (Diminished Range -1) (6)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Tenpins +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (80)

-Tenpin is Oddball's brother, a skinny kid who's basically joined the team for the sake of following Oddball around. Not much character to him, really- he's just a weakling villain who's even more generic than Ringleader with his gimmick. Again, can I say I'm not making this character up?

-He throws standard "Juggling Clubs" around, which is about the weakest weapon possible, so it stats up as a weaker version of Ringleader's Razor-Rings, doing less damage and having no Ricochet (those things don't bounce really well). He's weaker but faster than Ringleader, and has the Defensive Roll Advantage, but is so much of a weenie that he's full-on PL 6 "Joke villain" despite his accuracy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.