Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jack of Spades

Re: Jab's Builds! (Chessmen! Corruptor! The Death-Throws! RWBY!)

Post by Jack of Spades »

I just want to thank you for reminding me the Death Throws exist. I need them for an upcoming adventure...
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

BriarThrone wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:58 pm I wasn't a fan of the animation at first, but it grows in leaps and bounds every season. Monty's choreographed fights weren't to my taste, either, but with his unfortunate passing, the fights quickly became more plausible. I endured the early stages because I liked the premise and the characters, and eventually the show grew into something I completely enjoyed, rather than something I enjoyed despite some elements.

Honestly, I don't find the style of art a lot different than a more-complex-and-consistent version of Sailor Moon, and considering that Weiss is basically a better written Rei Hino and referred to as "Ice Queen" BY HER FRIENDS, I'm amazed Jab hasn't seen fit to jump on board with us yet...
Better writte--- THAT'S IT! RWBY BUILDS ARE CANCELLED!!! BRIARTHORNE IS NOW MY SWORN ENEMY!!!

no, no... I am calm... BriarThorne's terrible opinions will not cause me to change my plans... even if RWBY's awkward-looking animation style and blank-faced "CGI with cel shading" characters are a weird combination of Uncanny Valley and unrealistic...
Jabroniville

Ruby Rose

Post by Jabroniville »

She shares her name with that sexy tattooed chick who got naked on "Orange Is The New Black". I find that funny.

RUBY ROSE
Role:
Main Character, Naive Young Girl, Fast Fighter
PL 9 (203)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 12 (+14)
Close Combat (Scythe) 4 (+12)
Expertise (Hunter) 11 (+11)
Perception 8 (+9)
Stealth 3 (+9)
Technology 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit (Ambidexterity), Diehard, Equipment 2 (Scroll), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Scythe, Gun 2) 3, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Hold, Inspire, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Semblance- Storm of Roses" (All Powers Linked)
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Immunity 40 (Bludgeoning, Slashing & Piercing Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [20]
Move Object 6 (Extras: Damaging, Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range) [18]
Morph 1 (Rose Petals) (Feats: Metamorph) [6]
Enhanced Advantages 1: Evasion [1]

"Aura"
"Nobody Sells Anything" Features 1: Gives No Indication of Harm Until Knocked Out [1]
Regeneration 2 [2]
Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) [5]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Protection 2 [2]

"Crescent Rose" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [14]
"Sniper Rifle Form" Blast 8 (Feats: Increased Range 2) (18) -- (20)
  • AE: "Scythe Form" Strength-Damage +6 (Feats: Improved Critical, Reach) (8)
  • AE: "Sniper Recoil, Because That's How Stuff Works" Leaping 5 (Flaws: Limited to Opposite Direction) (2.5)
Enhanced Dodge 2 (2)
-- (22 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Scythe +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Sniper +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+12 Sniper Recoil, DC 20-22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4 (+6 Aura), Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Hunting Monsters)
Relationship (Yang- Sister)- Ruby's closest relationship is with her sister.
Relationship (Taiyang- Father)- Ruby both loves and admires her father.
Responsibility (Immature)- Ruby is a great warrior, but shows her age when interacting with others. She is an idealist. She is also brash and immature, leaping into various situations.
Power Loss (Aura)- Hunters & Huntresses may slowly lose power as their energy depletes. Their Scrolls keep them updated on their condition.
Responsibility (Must Spin Before Every Attack)- This is the most immutable law of the universe.
Relationship (Weiss)- Ruby insists that she will soon be BFFs with Weiss Schnee.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 64--32 / Advantages: 25 / Powers: 83 / Defenses: 13 (203)

BriarThorne's Notes:
Daughter of Taiyang Xiao Long and his second wife, Summer Rose. Younger sister of Yang Xiao Long. She’s energetic, friendly, and kind, but in social situations is very much the youngster in over her head. She prefers combat with giant monsters – the Grimm. Her Semblance is an ability to cover distance by turning into a stream of rose petals carried on a powerful wind, strong enough to hurl other people. Her weapon is the Crescent Rose, which unfolds into a combination scythe/sniper rifle. For extra mobility, she can fire the sniper rifle without bracing first, and be carried by the recoil.

She’s the leader of her team, and despite being so young and apparently innocent, she’s fairly gifted in the role, coming up with complex strategies utilizing the unique abilities of her whole team.

Ruby has silver eyes. Commenting on that is the first thing that madman Dr Ozpin said when he met Ruby. This is important, because, as it turns out, silver eyes indicates a powerful warrior that can unleash powerful magic, petrifying Grimm with a glance. Ruby has unleashed this power exactly once, in a moment of extreme distress.

Note: Ruby’s team represents fairy tale characters, and she herself is Little Red Riding Hood.

Jab's Notes: Silver Eyes? Mary Sue Litmus Test = FAILED. Also, her voice makes my anus bleed. Seriously, this is possibly the worst voice acting I have every heard in my entire life, and THIS IS ON THE MAIN CHARACTER OF THE SERIES!!! That kind of voice would be "reason for not watching" on a show's COMIC RELIEF or a minor character... but the friggin' MAIN?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horsenhero

Re: Jab's Builds! (Rom! Marville! Black Box & Swan! Chessmen! The Corruptor!)

Post by Horsenhero »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:07 am COCO:
-I FINALLY had a day off with enough time to see Coco (aka I would have been on the fence except for the Frozen short, like the live-action Cinderella movie"). It was good- it's WAY too "Typical Disney Story" in the beginning, right down to the "Quirk Outsider Nobody Understands Who Is Told Not To Do THE THING", who dreams of doing THE THING. He gains a Whacky Buddy and a cartoonish Animal Sidekick and does stuff, etc. It even has the "Standard Disney Villain Moment" that they're repeating WAY too much these days.

But then after a twist I didn't see coming until right before it happened, the movie got MUCH better. Really good, suspenseful and interesting. I kinda wish they'd pulled the trick sooner.

I found the music pretty sub-par, despite the Frozen songwriters, but the genre of "Mexican Music" isn't really my thing. The cityscape in the Land of the Dead is REALLY amazing- reminding me of the detail of Zootopia, but amplified in color and scenery- too much to really look at while the movie is going on, sadly. Also, the mom character is pregnant. Just thought I'd share that.

The Grandmother character is the best CGI creation I've ever seen- SO MANY WRINKLES- it was staggering to look at. Especially since they actually TOOK THEIR TIME with her, being unafraid to hold the camera steady and just watch her face. Too many CGI movies (including this one, really) just blitz through everything in a wave of motion.

It'll probably safely make a ton of money. Good movie that had twinges of greatness.
Coco is actually Pixar's 3rd best Thanksgiving opening ever, beating out both Toy Story 2 and Tangled. It is the best Disney/Pixar/ animated opening in Mexico in...ever. It may actually go on to be the highest money making movie in Mexico since...ever.

Amusingly, overseas and south of the US border theaters have had to start putting the Frozen short after the main feature since people were complaining they didn't buy tickets to see another Frozen thing. Coco is apparently so popular and endearing, that the Chinese censors who would normally disqualify any movie with such heavy supernatural elements permitted it to open...and it promptly curb-stomped Justice League.

In the international market, Coco is shaping up to be a behemoth, cementing Disney/Pixar's hold on the late November box office (5 out of 5 of the top 5 movies whose openings correspond with The Thanksgiving holiday in the US are Disney/Pixar animated features).
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Corruptor! The Death-Throws! RWBY! Ruby Rose!)

Post by Ken »

Her name reminds me more of Snow White II's sister Rose Red.

And, might I suggest laying off the burritos when watching. I mean, her voice acting may be bad, but making your anus bleed doesn't seem physically possible.

And yes, I'm being a rhymes-with-glass-bowl.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Horsenhero wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:10 pm Coco is apparently so popular and endearing, that the Chinese censors who would normally disqualify any movie with such heavy supernatural elements permitted it to open...and it promptly curb-stomped Justice League.
That is pretty amazing, especially with China's aversion to anything death related.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:17 pmBetter writte--- THAT'S IT! RWBY BUILDS ARE CANCELLED!!! BRIARTHORNE IS NOW MY SWORN ENEMY!!!

no, no... I am calm... BriarThorne's terrible opinions will not cause me to change my plans... even if RWBY's awkward-looking animation style and blank-faced "CGI with cel shading" characters are a weird combination of Uncanny Valley and unrealistic...
That progresses out pretty fast, even early on, and then made amazing strides after Monty died. He was basically a wizard with one particular software suite that wasn't particularly appropriate for the task at hand, but with time, he was getting better at animating faces and body movements in a natural-seeming way... and then he died, and the next animation team gave up the old software and actually started using modern and appropriate tools for the job, which just made the whole thing progress a lot. Like I say, not trying to crap on the guy's memory, but sometimes a mad genius isn't actually the best possible option in the construction phase...

This series definitely shows that it was created at the start of a transition period between Rooster Teeth being an indie company and Rooster Teeth becoming a small professional outfit.

But seriously, Weiss is basically what Rei Hino would be if the writers weren't playing Calvinball tug-of-war with every aspect of the show.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:21 pmJab's Notes: Silver Eyes? Mary Sue Litmus Test = FAILED. Also, her voice makes my anus bleed. Seriously, this is possibly the worst voice acting I have every heard in my entire life, and THIS IS ON THE MAIN CHARACTER OF THE SERIES!!! That kind of voice would be "reason for not watching" on a show's COMIC RELIEF or a minor character... but the friggin' MAIN?
You think Ruby's bad? Nora, man. Freaking Nora. Mind you, I would love to love the character. Nora's adorable. But that voice...

I do love the show, but it's not without its flaws.

Oh, and Ruby's hardly the only one with odd coloration in the series. She's got a few of the traits commonly associated with Sues, but she lacks the defining feature - everyone in the series going on about how great she is. She's recognized as reasonably gifted, but people actually argue over whether she's the best for a leadership role, and Ozpin chuckled and said 'no' when asked if Ruby was one of the best young Huntresses at Beacon. The Sue's most irritating trait is everyone thinking they're so great, and Ruby doesn't have that.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:21 pm Her name reminds me more of Snow White II's sister Rose Red.

And, might I suggest laying off the burritos when watching. I mean, her voice acting may be bad, but making your anus bleed doesn't seem physically possible.

And yes, I'm being a rhymes-with-glass-bowl.
Ahahaha. I see what you did there.

Rose Red reminds me of the movie of the same name.

Ruby Rose sounds like the hand creme my Grandmother use.
MacynSnow

Re: The Death-Throws

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:31 am Image

THE DEATH-THROWS:
-The Death-Throws are a gang brought together by The Ringleader and the Healey Brothers (Oddball & Tenpin), joining up with Knicknack to capture Hawkeye as part of Crossfire's revenge plot. When he couldn't pay them, the team held HIM for ransom, but were soon beaten by Clint, Mockingbird & Captain America. Soon, they added Bombshell to the team, but she sprang off onto her own a bit, getting some play in background scenes in other books. The team vanished for years (Oddball going off on his own, joining Doc Ock's Masters of Evil, then getting killed), before recruiting a new Oddball and reforming in modern times.
My brother used these guy's on me in a MSHRPG game,back when i was running a guy named(i kid you not) MR.HERO--a former new york sewer worker that wound up stumbling into the middle of the Morlock Massacre and brained/mugged Harpoon(thinking the guy's gear was armored),theirby inadvertently saving several morlocks that died in the original story. He later went to work at Nelson & Murdoch law offices as a Private Eye(applying as a "safer alternative than those weirdo's in the Sewers") and ran into these "rejects from Barnum & Bailey" while investgating a case for Foggy.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Silver eyes is definitely a Mary Sue quality, but considering the main character of Blazblue (which RWBY is crossing over with) looks like this:

..yeah.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Hoid wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:44 pm Every single time I have read ‘Death-Throws’ I have a flashback to me being 15 and hearing my DM say, “Ok, guys, make a saving throw vs death magc!”

....yeah, AD&D was a weird, clunky system.
Hey,you leave THACO out of this! it can't help it if it's about as understandable as a drunk Dick Tracy Mumbles.........
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, I heard about Mexico putting the Frozen short after because of the complaints. I wonder if Disney will ever try that again - adding a full TV episode to a movie hasn't been done since the Prince and the Pauper/Honey I Shrunk the Kids double-shot. It's a bit much, and doesn't help the people annoyed at how hard Frozen dominates Disney now.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

When I heard of it, I suspected that Disney was trying to shore up a project that they had some serious doubts about- basically people just paying to see the Frozen short and then leaving.. but Coco would still get the money. However, everything that I've heard so far sounds like Coco is really a strong movie.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I keep thinking that Coco should be on a double or triple bill with that movie about the gay San Francisco mayor, and that 2000 Juliette Binoche film: Coco Milk Chocolat
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Yang

Post by Jabroniville »

Why did they give "The Hot One" the worst, most unattractive design?

YANG XIAO LONG
Role:
The Hot One (I guess...), Hot-Blooded Fighter
PL 10 (162)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Deception 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (Hunter) 11 (+12)
Perception 8 (+10)
Persuasion 4 (+8, +10 Attractive)
Stealth 2 (+8)
Technology 7 (+8)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Attractive, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Scroll), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed 2, Dust Shot) 3, Improved Initiative, Last Stand (Ignores All Damage For 1 Round with HP Spent), Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Semblance- Grows In Power With Damage Taken"
Strength-Damage +3 (Flaws: Source- Damage) [1.5]
Power-Lifting 1 (400 lbs.) [1]

"Aura"
"Nobody Sells Anything" Features 1: Gives No Indication of Harm Until Knocked Out [1]
Regeneration 2 [2]
Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) [5]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Protection 2 [2]

"Ember Celica" (Flaws: Removable) [15]
"Fires Dust" Blast 7 (14) -- (15)
  • AE: "Fires As She Punches" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
"Screw Physics, Bullets Help You Jump" Leaping +1 (60 feet) (1)
Enhanced Dodge 2 (2)
-- (18 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Ember Celica +12 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Semblance +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Semblance + Celica +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Ember Celica Shots +10 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+12 Celica, DC 20-22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4 (+6 Aura), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications: 
Responsibility (Hunting Monsters)
Motivation (Adventure)- Yang became a Huntress to have adventures.
Relationship (Blake)- Apart from her sister and father, her best friend is Blake.
Responsibility (Do NOT Touch Her Hair)
Responsibility (Aggressive)- Yang is a good fighter, but has a violent temper that can leave her easily-goaded and very predictable in combat.
Power Loss (Aura)- Hunters & Huntresses may slowly lose power as their energy depletes. Their Scrolls keep them updated on their condition.
Responsibility (Must Spin Before Every Attack)- This is the most immutable law of the universe.
Disabled (One-Armed)- Yang lost an arm to a terrorist. This makes her unsteady, despite the quality of her prosthesis.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 51--25.5 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 29.5 / Defenses: 13 (162)

BriarThorne's Notes:
Daughter of Taiyang Xiao Long and his first wife, Raven Branwen. She loves her father, her sister, bad puns and good fights. Do not – DO NOT – touch her hair. She’s the heaviest hitter on Team RWBY. Her Semblance is the ability to fight harder as she takes more battle damage. Her weapons are the Ember Celica, a pair of shotgun gauntlets loaded with explosive Dust cartridges that fire as she punches. She’s a talented martial artist, when her temper and lust for battle aren’t running away with her.

She recently lost an arm in battle with her friend Blake’s ex-boyfriend, a leader in the faunus terrorist group, the White Fang. This hasn’t caused much long-term harm, as her high-tech prosthetic replacement is agile and powerful, but she’s still unsteady.

Yang is very aware of her beauty, likes the attention she gets, and isn’t above flirting and teasing to get something she wants.

Note: The team represents fairy tale characters, and Yang is Goldilocks.

Jab's Notes:
Arbitrarily described as the "Hot One", despite everyone looking pretty much alike, Yang is the "Yellow One" of the team, looking more "redhead/strawberry blonde" in the videos I've seen. She fights as a PL 9 for the most part, until her Semblance boosts her Strength, turning her into a PL 10 brawler- the highest-PL of the RWBY girls, albeit with a drawback.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.