Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
BriarThrone

Re: Yang

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:46 amWhy did they give "The Hot One" the worst, most unattractive design?
I will cut you - ahem. I respectfully disagree with your opinion in this matter.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:46 am Image

Why did they give "The Hot One" the worst, most unattractive design?
Because she burns.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Chessmen! Corruptor! The Death-Throws! RWBY!)

Post by Jabroniville »

BriarThrone wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:01 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:17 pmBetter writte--- THAT'S IT! RWBY BUILDS ARE CANCELLED!!! BRIARTHORNE IS NOW MY SWORN ENEMY!!!

no, no... I am calm... BriarThorne's terrible opinions will not cause me to change my plans... even if RWBY's awkward-looking animation style and blank-faced "CGI with cel shading" characters are a weird combination of Uncanny Valley and unrealistic...
That progresses out pretty fast, even early on, and then made amazing strides after Monty died. He was basically a wizard with one particular software suite that wasn't particularly appropriate for the task at hand, but with time, he was getting better at animating faces and body movements in a natural-seeming way... and then he died, and the next animation team gave up the old software and actually started using modern and appropriate tools for the job, which just made the whole thing progress a lot. Like I say, not trying to crap on the guy's memory, but sometimes a mad genius isn't actually the best possible option in the construction phase...

This series definitely shows that it was created at the start of a transition period between Rooster Teeth being an indie company and Rooster Teeth becoming a small professional outfit.

But seriously, Weiss is basically what Rei Hino would be if the writers weren't playing Calvinball tug-of-war with every aspect of the show.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:21 pmJab's Notes: Silver Eyes? Mary Sue Litmus Test = FAILED. Also, her voice makes my anus bleed. Seriously, this is possibly the worst voice acting I have every heard in my entire life, and THIS IS ON THE MAIN CHARACTER OF THE SERIES!!! That kind of voice would be "reason for not watching" on a show's COMIC RELIEF or a minor character... but the friggin' MAIN?
You think Ruby's bad? Nora, man. Freaking Nora. Mind you, I would love to love the character. Nora's adorable. But that voice...

I do love the show, but it's not without its flaws.

Oh, and Ruby's hardly the only one with odd coloration in the series. She's got a few of the traits commonly associated with Sues, but she lacks the defining feature - everyone in the series going on about how great she is. She's recognized as reasonably gifted, but people actually argue over whether she's the best for a leadership role, and Ozpin chuckled and said 'no' when asked if Ruby was one of the best young Huntresses at Beacon. The Sue's most irritating trait is everyone thinking they're so great, and Ruby doesn't have that.
Every time you say something incorrect about my beloved Rei Hino, I'm going to lower these PLs by another level :P.
BriarThrone

Re: Jab's Builds! (Chessmen! Corruptor! The Death-Throws! RWBY!)

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 amEvery time you say something incorrect about my beloved Rei Hino, I'm going to lower these PLs by another level :P.
That's the horrible thing about threads like this, Jab. They're educational. I can always adjust them back up. You taught me where the levers are.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

BriarThrone wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:08 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:46 amWhy did they give "The Hot One" the worst, most unattractive design?
I will cut you - ahem. I respectfully disagree with your opinion in this matter.
Nope. He's right. Penny is waifu.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:25 am
BriarThrone wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:08 am
Nope. He's right. Penny is waifu.
Sir, I hope you are combat ready.
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (Black Swan! Chessmen! Corruptor! The Death-Throws!)

Post by Arkrite »

L-Space wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:34 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:44 am
Arkrite wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:41 am My problem is that I'm completely uninterested in the main characters, while some of the minor characters are the ones I'd love to see a show about...
I have the same issue with shows like Dragon Ball Z/Super and Naruto.
Completely agree. Dragon Ball Super has at least given us a couple episodes showcasing the non-Saiyans. I was pretty happy with how they handled the Krillin vs Gohan and Krillin vs Goku episodes.
I find it interesting that Goku, at the begining of DBZ is an idiot who'd risk pretty much everything in existence for a fun fight. And by DBSuper Goku has grown into... a guy who'd risk pretty much everything in existence for a fun fight.

Meanwhile Vegita has gone from a staggeringly pride filled character who's got no compunctions to killing anything that gets in his way. By DBSuper he cares so much for his family he's willing to debase himself to protect them.

But yeah, I'm a fan of the underdog characters. More often than not they wind up being more fun then the main characters who have to be hero and don't get much in terms of growth or change.
BriarThrone

Re: Jab's Builds! (Black Swan! Chessmen! Corruptor! The Death-Throws!)

Post by BriarThrone »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:35 amI find it interesting that Goku, at the begining of DBZ is an idiot who'd risk pretty much everything in existence for a fun fight. And by DBSuper Goku has grown into... a guy who'd risk pretty much everything in existence for a fun fight.

Meanwhile Vegita has gone from a staggeringly pride filled character who's got no compunctions to killing anything that gets in his way. By DBSuper he cares so much for his family he's willing to debase himself to protect them.

But yeah, I'm a fan of the underdog characters. More often than not they wind up being more fun then the main characters who have to be hero and don't get much in terms of growth or change.
Especially when the hero is actually pretty similar to the villains in a lot of respects, except less ambitious about it. But the other characters think that he's actually a paladin or something?
Arkrite

Re: RWBY

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:50 am RWBY:
See, the fights reminded me of some animated fights Kreuz had shown me years before, of Samus fighting a chick Halo trooper or something. They were well-animated CGI battles, but more or less consisted of NOTHING BUT SPINNING, characters taking hundreds of multiattack shots at a time, getting blasted all over the place... then simply getting back up and hitting the foe with their own stuff, never having "sold" a single shot as if it had any impact or effect. Every fight was like this- spinning and no-selling. In pro wrestling terms, this is called a "Spotfest", and is a derogatory nickname for matches where the guys just move from attack to attack with no rhyme or reason, nobody stopping to sell the effects, and just getting up to do more moves. They used to be popular in the 1990s, but the business moved on and people started demanding more "story" to the aimless fights.
I started out kind of liking the over the top fights and eventually this is the problem I ran into.

After a while I just wanted to feel some impact and some depth in the fights. I wanted to be able to see or understand why a character was or wasn't going to succeed in a battle.

One example I wanted to use was that Ruby fights a character at the start of the series and just tools him. Later she has so much difficulty that she nearly dies. I'm not entirely sure why, the bad guy in question is more of a joke than anything.

Though the one that really killed it for me was the season where they do the shonen tournament arc, letting everybody battle one another. One character is built up as being a huge badass through a series of five minute long fights showing how tough they were.
This character is then taken out in a single swing in a fight that lasts less than a second (though you get a nice long slow motion reaction shot).
I get that it was supposed to be a big push for the badguy, to show how bad ass he was.
For me, it just fell flat. You spend the entire season pushing these bigger fights then use a one shot as the final climactic battle?
I was hoping for something more along the lines of the hero realizing how completely out of their league they were as they struggled against a superior foe only to gamble it all and lose.

But... meh.

I will say this, I'm willing to forgive the animation considering it's a smaller group putting it together... but man do I wish they could do something to make the crowds less of the faceless masses ;~)
Arkrite

Re: Ruby Rose

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:21 pm RUBY ROSE
I find it kind of funny how with her weapon she's a force of nature, but every time it's taken away she suddenly becomes completely helpless.
I'd expect her to still be a pretty dangerous opponent considering she can teleport around at high speeds...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:13 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:21 pm RUBY ROSE
I find it kind of funny how with her weapon she's a force of nature, but every time it's taken away she suddenly becomes completely helpless.
I'd expect her to still be a pretty dangerous opponent considering she can teleport around at high speeds...
I suspect that Ruby has deliberately held back in learning how to fight unarmed, out of concern that she might show up Yang in the process, something that she would never want to do. Also, she definitely has a weapon fixation.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Blake Belladonna

Post by Jabroniville »

BLAKE BELLADONNA
Role:
The Quiet One, The Mysterious One
PL 9 (152)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Hunter) 8 (+10)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+8)
Technology 3 (+5)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Close Attack 2, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Scroll), Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Faunus Physiology"
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

"Semblance- Phantom Form"
Enhanced Defenses 2 [4]
"Clone-Assisted Jump" Leaping +2 (120 feet) [2]
"Fire Clone" Blast 8 (Flaws: Source- Dust) (8) -- [10]
  • AE: "Earth Clone" Create 6 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Source- Dust) (7)
  • AE: "Ice Clone" Snare 6 (Flaws: Touch Range, Source- Dust) (6)
"Aura"
"Nobody Sells Anything" Features 1: Gives No Indication of Harm Until Knocked Out [1]
Regeneration 2 [2]
Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) [5]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Protection 2 [2]

"Gambol Shroud" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [7]
"Pistol in the Handle" Blast 5 (10) -- (11 points)
  • AE: "Variant Ballistic Chain Scythe, aka Kusarigama/Scythe/Katana Thingie" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Split, Reach, Improved Disarm) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blade Thingie +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Pistol +10 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Fire Clone +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Ice Clone +12 (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+12 Semblance, DC 20-22), Parry +10 (+12 Semblance, DC 20-22), Toughness +4 (+6 Aura), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications: 
Responsibility (Hunting Monsters)
Relationships (Family)
Relationships (Teammates)- Especially Yang.
Relationship (Adam)- There’s residual issues from her ex-boyfriend Adam, a White Fang terrorist, whom she dreads. She feels extremely guilty that Adam took Yang’s arm, and fears what will happen to her friends when Adam comes back.
Power Loss (Aura)- Hunters & Huntresses may slowly lose power as their energy depletes. Their Scrolls keep them updated on their condition.
Responsibility (Must Spin Before Every Attack)- This is the most immutable law of the universe.
Prejudice (Faunus)- Blake is secretly a faunus, hiding her cat ears beneath a ribbon.
Responsibility (Cat-Like)- Blake betrays some cat-like characteristics, such as a love for tuna, and a discomfort around dogs.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 10 (152)

BriarThorne's Notes:
Daughter of Ghira and Kali Belladonna, rulers of Menagerie, Blake is “secretly” a faunus, using a ribbon to hide her cat ears, though I don’t know how many people actually failed to notice. Having many catlike traits, she is calm, reserved, mysterious, and introverted, usually preferring books to other people. She used to be a member of the White Fang, but when they went from being an activist group to terrorists, she left. Her Semblance is the ability to leave behind a phantom form to distract and take damage momentarily while she gains distance. Her weapon is some sort of… double-edged katana-scythe thing, with a sharp scabbard too so she can dual wield, and sometimes use a long ribbon to make the whole thing into a kusarigama, and there’s a pistol integrated into the katana grip, and… nothing is simple in this series. Nothing. Unless it has to do with Jaune, maybe.

Note: The team represents fairy tale characters, and with her complicated relationship with Adam, represents Beauty and the Beast.

Jab's Notes: She is BY FAR the cheapest of the crew, owing to her pretty simple Semblance. Blake is apparently the hardest character to write for, according to the writers- introverts are TOUGH. Though her Faunus nature seems there to give us the Mandatory Anime Catgirl... which brings to mind that I can actually think of VERY FEW Anime Catgirls, despite that being an iconic "type". I mean, there's the pair from Dominion Tank Police, but I can't think of too many major franchises with one.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:20 am I suspect that Ruby has deliberately held back in learning how to fight unarmed, out of concern that she might show up Yang in the process, something that she would never want to do.
I know I wouldn't want to give my siblings an excuse to pummel me senseless ;~)
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Death-Throws! RWBY! Ruby Rose! Yang! Blake!)

Post by Jabroniville »

The thing that bugs me about the RWBY designs is that the characters kind of have messes of clothing, with too much detail yet no outstanding elements. And the animation style gives them very bland, blank expressions with very little color or shading, so they come off very "flat", especially compared to the backgrounds.

I notice that FanArt for the characters often makes them look MUCH better than their animated counterparts, to the point where they're unrecognizable.
BriarThorne, King of Incorrectness wrote:But seriously, Weiss is basically what Rei Hino would be if the writers weren't playing Calvinball tug-of-war with every aspect of the show.
But you said Weiss is an Ice Queen. Rei isn't an Ice Queen- she's a hostile, lecturing, imperious, demanding, crabby omnibitch with zero patience for anyone's stupidity, and thinks of Usagi as a sister- she doesn't LIKE Usagi, but she LOVES her and would die defending the first person to ever offer true friendship for "the weird girl who sees the future". Rei is consistent as balls in this regard.
BriarThrone

Re: Jab's Builds! (Death-Throws! RWBY! Ruby Rose! Yang! Blake!)

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 am The thing that bugs me about the RWBY designs is that the characters kind of have messes of clothing, with too much detail yet no outstanding elements.
Or, put another way, "enough detail to be interesting, not enough to be intrusive."
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 amAnd the animation style gives them very bland, blank expressions with very little color or shading, so they come off very "flat", especially compared to the backgrounds.
Again, this may have been a problem in season 1, but got remarkably less so rapidly, to the point where this feels like one of those criticisms you find online that survive because people pass them around.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 amI notice that FanArt for the characters often makes them look MUCH better than their animated counterparts, to the point where they're unrecognizable.
We're clearly looking at quite different fan art.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 am But you said Weiss is an Ice Queen. Rei isn't an Ice Queen- she's a hostile,
Check.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 amlecturing,
Check.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 amimperious,
Check.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 amdemanding,
Eyup.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 amcrabby omnibitch with zero patience for anyone's stupidity,
Uh huh.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 amand thinks of Usagi as a sister- she doesn't LIKE Usagi, but she LOVES her and would die defending the first person to ever offer true friendship for "the weird girl who sees the future". Rei is consistent as balls in this regard.
Swap out "weird girl who sees the future" with "elitist heiress to morally dubious but extremely wealthy and important mining company" and that's Weiss and Ruby all over.