Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Death-Throws! RWBY! Ruby Rose! Yang! Blake!)

Post by Davies »

I would add one complication to Weiss' sheet.

Relationship (Ruby Rose is definitely not Weiss' best friend. Nope. Not a chance. Uh-uh.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Davies wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:14 pm I would add one complication to Weiss' sheet.

Relationship (Ruby Rose is definitely not Weiss' best friend. Nope. Not a chance. Uh-uh.)
Ahh one of THOSE friendships

Oh heck no I hate her shes nothing to me

you hurt her OMFG you are going to die a thousand deaths

But no I don't like her at all. :P
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

catsi563 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:16 pm
Davies wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:14 pm I would add one complication to Weiss' sheet.

Ahh one of THOSE friendships

Oh heck no I hate her shes nothing to me

you hurt her OMFG you are going to die a thousand deaths

But no I don't like her at all. :P
This describes it pretty well, I think.

Weiss sees her sister fighting a mysterious man in the street, and is upset by her sister's reckless behavior in public.

Ruby approaches. "GET 'ER, UNCLE QROW!"

Weiss: "That man is related to you?! WINTER! TEACH THAT VAGRANT A LESSON!"
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Dear God- they not only copied the exact personality of My Rei, but used the identical relationship she has with Usagi, aka the single best part of Sailor Mo-nonononononoNO, I will not try it in a house; I will not try it with a mouse! I will not try it here or there, I would not try it anywhere!
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Death-Throws! Ruby Rose! Yang! Blake! Weiss!)

Post by Jabroniville »

OK, so RWBY fans- how are the builds in terms of accuracy? Anything notable missing?
statue345

Post by statue345 »

The "Nobody sells anything" part of aura would probably be better worded as "Shows no indication of harm until aura is broken", because they do actually sell when their aura is broken. Also Yang could maybe use an extra rank of Strength/Powerlifting.

Other then that they look perfect. Thank you for doing these even though you aren't a fan of the show.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:48 pm OK, so RWBY fans- how are the builds in terms of accuracy? Anything notable missing?
Looks pretty good.

As far as the "attractive one" thing goes, the creators have gone out of their way to avoid calling out one character as way prettier than the others. They knew fans would pick their own favorites. Weiss was always going to be a high-percentage option, I think, and has gotten the most attention in the actual show. However, there's beautiful, and then there's HOT. I singled out Yang for the Attractive advantage because she knows how to work it. She knows how to turn heads. All the girls are beautiful, but only Yang is HOT.

Maybe Coco Adel too, but she's a side character.

Knowing that distinction, let me explain to you why Yang is best. 😜

Here is a brief summary of their themes.
Ruby: "I mourn for those I've lost, but I move forward toward a better tomorrow, in their memory!"

Weiss: "I am expected to be cold and aloof and excellent. A singular being. It's so lonely..."

Blake: "I had an abusive relationship with a monster, and my identity makes me an outsider almost everywhere. It's so hard to trust..."

Yang: "HELL YES I KICK ASS NO ONE KICKS ASS LIKE ME I'M HOT AND AWESOME AND I LIKE TO KICK ASS AND HAVE FUN AND HAVE FUN KICKING ASS!"
Jabroniville

Jaune

Post by Jabroniville »

This is BY FAR the blandest design of these characters. Were they even trying with this one?

JAUNE ARC
Role:
Hard-Luck Hero
PL 8 (104)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 5 (+8)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Hunter) 7 (+8)
Perception 5 (+6)
Technology 2 (+3)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Close Attack 2, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Scroll), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Powers:
"Aura"
"Nobody Sells Anything" Features 1: Gives No Indication of Harm Until Knocked Out [1]
Regeneration 2 [2]
Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) [5]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Protection 3 [3]

"Corcea Mors" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [8]
"Just a Sword" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 5) (9)
"Unfolding Scabbard Shield" Enhanced Defenses 2 (4)
-- (13 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +9 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (+9 Shield, DC 17-19), Parry +7 (+9 Shield, DC 17-19), Toughness +4 (+7 Aura), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications: 
Responsibility (Hunting Monsters)
Relationship (Weiss)- Jaune is super-attracted to Weiss, and makes this obvious.
Power Loss (Aura)- Hunters & Huntresses may slowly lose power as their energy depletes. Their Scrolls keep them updated on their condition.
Responsibility (Must Spin Before Every Attack)- This is the most immutable law of the universe.
Secret (No Semblance)- Jaune is dangerously unqualified for his position, and lied on his application to school- others can use this information to blackmail him.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 12 (104)

BriarThrone's Notes:
Introduced by throwing up on an airship ride, poor Jaune can’t catch a break. He acts brazenly, obnoxiously overconfident in the early series to disguise the fact that he has no idea what he’s doing. In fact, he faked his transcripts, and has no practical qualifications to be at Beacon. This allows him to receive instructive exposition that’s useful for the audience, as well as be a source of cheap laughs. He’s in Beacon because he’s determined to be a hero, like all his ancestors before him, but the secret of his forgery can be used for blackmail, and, of course, he never attended a Hunter’s primary school, so a Hunter’s secondary school is WAAAY out of his league. He’s immediately infatuated with the beautiful but distant Weiss Schnee, and makes frequent over-the-top romantic gestures, completely overlooking the fact that the much hotter and sweeter Pyrrha Nikos has a massive crush on him. Surprising everyone, he is made leader of Team JNPR. His inexperience and goofiness get in the way sometimes, but he cares deeply for his team, tries hard, and has some natural tactical ability.

Jaune’s weapon is the Crocea Mors, a “classic,” a single-mode weapon that BARELY TRANSFORMS AT ALL. The weapon part, the sword, is just a sword – the only instance of a single-function weapon in the entire series. The scabbard unfolds into a heater-style shield. (Really handy, honestly, as the biggest obstacle to carrying a shield was how big they were. Joking aside, this is a seriously underrated weapon.)

Jaune’s Semblance is… still unknown, at this point. He has not yet unlocked the ability. His Aura is notably strong, however, so when he does learn to use his Semblance, it will be powerful. There are many fan theories about the nature of his Semblance.

SPOILER: After Pyrrha’s death, Jaune gets a bit of a redesign, as well as improved focus. His white armor gets a gold trim from Pyrrha’s armor, and the Crocea Mors is upgraded. While the blade is in the scabbard, the scabbard unfolds into a much larger blade, to be used two-handed.

Jab's Notes:
The "Low Power; Smart Thinker" thing reminds me a lot of Sokka in Avatar: The Last Airbender- he gets hit a lot, but is often the battle-planner/tactician. This, to me, indicates that if RWBY was an RPG game instead of a show, Jaune is played by "The Role-Player". He's tough as nails, making him PL 8 defensively, but at PL 7.5 offensively, he's lacking the raw power of many of the others.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

So, I've been thinking..There's been two cartoons I've always wanted to see 3e builds of, but I dunno how familiar Jab is with them: Samurai Jack (Though I know Thorp has a build of Jack, and Kreuz has 2e bulids of a few of the characters) and Bucky O'Hare. (Well, I saw Bucky O'Hare on Jab's list of childhood cartoons, and also, I don't think there's even been any 2e bulids of this series, either.) I've probably made enough suggestions this year, though, and I dunno how difficult they'd be to research.
Last edited by KorokoMystia on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Poor Pyrra her death was tragic and a waste of a great character imo but give the creators guts for doing it.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Add "Butt-Monkey" to the role, because he really is.

After the Fall, Jaune's really plain look gets a MAJOR upgrade, with all the gray trim replaced by gold (*sniff*), setting the whole thing off nicely.

It's not really his lack of Semblance that's vulnerable to blackmail. It's the fact that he faked his transcripts to get into Beacon. Personally, I suspect that Oz will soon reveal that he knew, or even had the fakes provided.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:05 am This is BY FAR the blandest design of these characters. Were they even trying with this one?

JAUNE ARC
Amusingly Jaune is my favorite out of the series. Because he shows some serious growth over the first few seasons that most of the other guys lack. He goes from being a completely pathetic sad sack to becoming a respectable hunter... though he's still completely overshadowed by pretty much everybody around him.

Seriously, seeing him actually training to become better, putting Wiess' happiness over his own, his heartwarming relationship with Pyrra... Yeah, I'd watch a show based around him.
Which is kind of my problem, he's got a lot of character development and growth and the main characters seem to lack that. Or at least they had by the point I shrugged and walked away.

catsi563 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:23 am Poor Pyrra her death was tragic and a waste of a great character imo but give the creators guts for doing it.
I was always working under the assumption she'd be back.
I mean, killing her off seems like a giant waste, and they never left a body.

So ironically if they were trying to make me feel bad, they missed the mark, and now I'm doomed to disappointment if that was actually supposed to be her ultimate demise.

Killing characters is a hard thing to pull off these days.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

BriarThrone wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 am Add "Butt-Monkey" to the role, because he really is.

After the Fall, Jaune's really plain look gets a MAJOR upgrade, with all the gray trim replaced by gold (*sniff*), setting the whole thing off nicely.

It's not really his lack of Semblance that's vulnerable to blackmail. It's the fact that he faked his transcripts to get into Beacon. Personally, I suspect that Oz will soon reveal that he knew, or even had the fakes provided.
Davies

Post by Davies »

kreuzritter wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:50 am
BriarThrone wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 am
I won't mind if this is how it was, but if Ozpin actually provided the fake transcripts, that will go a long way towards getting me into a "Raven was right" tee-shirt.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Davies wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:01 am
kreuzritter wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:50 am
BriarThrone wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 am
I won't mind if this is how it was, but if Ozpin actually provided the fake transcripts, that will go a long way towards getting me into a "Raven was right" tee-shirt.
Why? Jaune wanted in. Oz only provided the means to succeed, even in this scenario. Presumably he saw something in Jaune that others might miss. Ozpin has been nothing but respectful of the wishes of those in his care.

Raven's trump card was the fact that Ozpin granted her a magic power. Except Qrow says that they knew what they were getting into. Considering how he gave Pyrrha an opportunity to think it over, that seems more likely than Oz sacrificing a bit of his own power to grant a sweet trick to an unknowing, unwilling victim.