Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Defensor! Red Ronin! Latino Heroes! Shang-Chi!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Yojimbo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:04 pm I like Shang-Chi, even though I've never really read any of his adventures. I dig the bad ass normals. This is a guy who would be top tier at DC and probably fighting Shiva on a regular basis, hanging out with Batman and fighting Ra's al Ghul on occasion.

At Marvel though, where Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Luke Cage qualify as "street level," Shang-Chi kind of gets lost in the shuffle.
Yeah, he kind of has an issue standing out. Daredevil takes up the "Street-Level Martial Arts" guy thing, and Elektra generally gets a push otherwise. I've noticed your comment of a similar nature in the "Empire City" stuff in your thread, about how Marvel treats Street Level as "semi-powerful heroes" versus Bad-Ass Normals.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

It's funny how this works- I was expecting to just re-post Shang-Chi and some of his baddies (Fu Manchu, The Cat) because they were on-theme... but then a Wiki-Wormhole opened up, and I discovered various names on "The List" (Clive Reston, Black Jack Tarr), followed by some classic Jobber Villains. I was gonna just blow off Shang-Chi's assorted one-off bad guys, but a few had interesting looks or real super-villain guises, so we'll have Mordillo and a few others, too. This extends the "Foreigners" bit by a ways.

I'll also add a couple of characters from Al Ewing's big of the Avengers books, followed by Weapon: PRIME re-posts (which I totally coulda done when it was on-theme with X-Force, but then I'd have to do ALL of their Jobber Groups at once, and I didn't feel like it).

Then I'll get to Lori Lemaris (that'll tide you over, Dominus :)), at which point I'll start the Mega Man X-related builds, which I've been working on for literally two months- doing those is a bit of a slog at times, so I only did a couple of guys per-day, if that.

Around Christmas-time, I'll be re-posting Primal Rage, with some updates for the unreleased sequel, with two new characters and some "Human Avatar" fighters.

Following that, I'll be re-posting Gargoyles builds, since that got a few votes last time.

I'm still bouncing around some ideas for January, but we'll probably see Dinosaur-related stuff FINALLY get re-posted (it's been YEARS! Old-school ATT-era stuff!), and I'll probably finally get to South Park. Maybe Black Panther stuff for the upcoming movie, and then we might finally see the Invincible-related builds, as the end of the series should be around then.
Jabroniville

The Cat

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CAT (Shen Kuei)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Paul Gulacy
First Appearance: Master of Kung Fu #38 (March 1976)
Role: Mirror Image Villain, Superspy
Country of Origin: China
Group Affiliations: The Wild Pack
PL 10 (152)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Acrobatics 9 (+15)
Athletics 5 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+17)
Deception 8 (+11)
Expertise (Martial Arts Lore) 6 (+9)
Expertise (Espionage) 8 (+11)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 6 (+9)
Stealth 7 (+13)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Assessment, Chokehold, Cunning Fighter, Daze (Agile Feint), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 4, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Jack-of-All-Trades, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Seize Initiative, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge

Offense:
Unarmed +17 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +16 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications: 
Enemy (Shang-Chi)
Relationship (Juliette)- Juliette was Shen's lover, but he believed her spy work included faking the relationship, and left her.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 29 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 21 (152)

-The Cat is basically a Mirror Image villain to Shang-Chi, meant to equal him in combat, while also representing a "what would the hero be if he were evil" thing that's so classic to comics. The Cat is a mercenary/spy guy who is REALLY uncommonly-seen, first working on behalf of China to fight Shang-Chi. Later, he teamed with the hero after discovering that evil people had a neutron bomb that threatened everyone. They later fought once more, after The Cat was destroying German weapons so nobody else could find them. He had an affair with Shang-Chi's former lover, but confessed he still cared for his old love, Juliette.

-The Cat disappeared for years, as Shang-Chi's own book was cancelled, so his rival had no purpose. But he's shown up a bit in Cable/Deadpool-related things, being hired by Cable once, and Black Box the second time- he turned on Black Box and helped the protagonists defeat Black Box's clone army.

-For stats, he's basically identical to Shang-Chi (they're considered equals), but misses out on a few Advantages, while gaining some more Spy Skills.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Tiger-Claw

Post by Jabroniville »

TIGER-CLAW (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Keith Pollard
First Appearance: Giant-Size Master of Kung Fu #4 (June 1975)
Role: One-Shot Rival
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (94)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 6 (+9)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Equipment 3 (Poisoned Gloves), Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Equipment:
"Clawed Gloves With Poison"
Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) Linked to Weaken Strength 6 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Progressive) (15)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Gloves +10 (+4 Damage & +6 Weaken, DC 19 & 16)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications: 
Enemy (Shang-Chi)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (94)

-Tiger-Claw was a member of Fu Manchu's organization, but went off on his own after Manchu split up the operation. He became a thief, bringing him into contact with Shang-Chi and Manchu's agents- he killed many of the henchmen, but Shang-Chi was able to disarm him (using an umbrella as a bo staff), then easily defeat him in hand-to-hand combat. He later appeared many issues later, acting as a fence for stolen property- Shang-Chi easily defeated him once more. Tiger-Claw is thus a pretty low-tier foe, handily defeated by Shang-Chi (a PL 9-ish guy in this era), so he's not that tough. PL 8 with his Poisoned Gloves, but bad defenses for a martial artist.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Re: The Cat

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 pm -The Cat is basically a Mirror Image villain to Shang-Chi,
And looks more like Bruce Lee, particularly in Enter the Dragon, than Shang Chi ever did in the original series.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

Rather a strange request/idea, but do you/would you ever make any Magic the Gathering critters for M&M? I can get the Power/Toughness/Power Level "right", but you are far better at this than I would ever be.

-STS
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

slade the sniper wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 pm Rather a strange request/idea, but do you/would you ever make any Magic the Gathering critters for M&M? I can get the Power/Toughness/Power Level "right", but you are far better at this than I would ever be.

-STS
Thorp did quite a few MtA builds.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
slade the sniper

Ah...Ok, lemme go and lurk on there and "check my math" as it were.

I also want to congratulate you on two specific builds...Amanda Waller and the SAS Agents. Those were what I used for a lot of my benchmarks in my own head-canon-verse. I used Batgirl III's 40K builds as the other set of benchmarks.

Thanks for being instrumental in my conversions!

-STS
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Thanks! Glad to be of help :). Yeah, Thorp has done MTG builds (I don't play card games), and we've both got Fantasy builds- they might work!
slade the sniper

Thanks, I went and checked my math (I was hoping Nicol Bolas was there, but no dice). I am within 10% of all numbers of you, Batgirl or Thorp on my stuff so pretty happy about that.

Your fantasy stuff is what led me to start making D20 conversions in the first place (originally for D&D, but eventually all the other D20 stuff as well). The only place where I diverge from M&M is the skill benchmarks (I prefer normal folks to have skills in the +6 to +10 area). This allows my normal humans to be PL 2-5, but up to about 100 points (similar to the way Agents of Freedom does it). I find that 2E is more my speed (6 stats, 1 PP for 4 skill points) rather than 3E which sort of makes up new stats for not a lot of reason and makes skills more expensive. I like that PL is more a measure of combat ability, whereas points are ~15-20 points per PL but it is not a hard and fast requirement (for NPCs, and that allows character progression in other areas and makes combat ability a slightly less important in the RPG aspect). That way I can have low PL but very high point NPCs without having to skimp on their skills and advantages.

You wouldn't happen to have any World of Darkness M&M stuff, would you?

-STS
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Nope- I did some Marvel Monster builds, though! Horror's not a genre I enjoy, personally.
Jabroniville

Shadow Slasher

Post by Jabroniville »

SHADOW-SLASHER (Xi Shan-Hao)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Mike Zeck
First Appearance: Master of Kung Fu #98 (1981)
Role: One-Shot Rival
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (94)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 6 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Mercenary) 6 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Equipment (Nunchucks +2), Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Nunchucks +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications: 
Enemy (Shang-Chi)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (94)

-Shadow-Slasher is a guy who fights Shang-Chi repeatedly, but loses each time- he eventually reveals that he's out for reputation's sake. He wants to defeat Shang-Chi to prove that HE is the greatest fighter in the world! That's actually a pretty good motivation for a comic book martial artist- rep is EVERYTHING to some guys. Of course, he loses three times, making him out to be a bit of a loser. He reappears during Civil War, getting attacked by the Heroes For Hire.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Fu Manchu

Post by Jabroniville »

DR. FU MANCHU (Zheng Zu)
Created By:
Sax Rohmer
First Appearance: The Mystery of Dr. Fu-Manchu (1913)
Role: Master Villain, Yellow Peril Villain
PL 9 (179)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 5 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+14)
Expertise (Criminal) 8 (+15)
Insight 5 (+10)
Intimidation 3 (+8)
Investigation 3 (+8)
Perception 5 (+10)
Persuasion 4 (+9)
Treatment 2 (+9)

Advantages:
Benefit 5 (Wealth, Status), Equipment (Knives & Stuff), Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Knives), Languages 4 (Most, Without an Accent), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Elixir Vitae" Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
"Hypnosis" Affliction 8 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) [32]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Knives +13 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Power)
Responsibility (Style)- Dr. Fu Manchu dislikes using modern weaponry, and will use ancient secret societies, knives, poisons and animals as his agents instead.
Enemy (Denis Nayland Smith, Dr. Petrie)
Enemy (Shang-Chi)- Fu Manchu's son figured out his daddy was evil, and now fights to oppose him.
Responsibility (Honor)- Fu Manchu will always keep his word, even to an enemy.
Relationship (Fah Lo Suee)- Fu Manchu's daughter is devious like he is.
Power Loss (Immortality)- Fu Manchu requires the injestion of his Elixir Vitae every ten years in order to remain immortal.

Total: Abilities: 96 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 13 (179)

The Original Yellow Peril:
-Dr. Fu Manchu is one of the true original supervillains- a lethal, scheming, deadly opponent with an incredible intelligence and a motive for power. He's also the definitive "Yellow Peril" stereotype, showing the West's fear and distrust of these oddly-attired foreign peoples with their weird facial hair, questionable morals, and society that seemed to be quasi-mystical and "inscrutable". It was based around a lot of negative feelings about immigrants attempting to invade foreign countries and replacing the dominant culture with their own (generally the same complaints that people ALWAYS have about immigrants- Europe is currently undergoing this like nuts with all the Muslim immigrants flocking there, which is something a bit unusual for them), and then got added to when the Empire of Japan ran roughshod over the Pacific during the years leading up to World War II. Fu Manchu was opposed by two virtuous types, the Watson-style narrator Dr. Petrie (who marries one of Manchu's agents, the sexy Karamaneh), and the doggedly-determined Denis Nayland Smith, who is less-intelligent than Manchu, but makes up for it in perseverance. 

-Fu Manchu's creator, Sax Rohmer, was quick to deride notions that he'd created a racist caricature, pointing out that there WERE a lot of Asian criminals in Britain at the time, having left China abruptly with no other options to make money, and that he'd based Fu Manchu off of real crime figures. There are a LOT of characters based off of the good Doctor- Ming the Merciless (Flash Gordon), The Craw (Get Smart- "No, not the CRAW!" *holds up claw* "THE CRAW!!"), Dr. No (James Bond), Dr. Zin (Jonny Quest), Lo-Pan (Big Trouble in Little China) and many, MANY more. Even comic book villains like The Mandarin, The Yellow Claw & Ra's al-Ghul take obvious hints from this character- truly, he's one of the "Ur Examples" that so much fiction looks back towards.

Marvel's Fu Manchu:
-Marvel Comics gained the license to produce comics based around the character in the 1970s, giving him a son in Shang-Chi- a heroic Chinese counterpart to the villainous Yellow Peril. He would try to make Shang-Chi his heir, but the guy's own noble nature won out- he refused to become as evil as Fu Manchu wished him to be, and eventually opposed his father's attempts at dominating the world. Fu Manchu would meet his end in a collapsing building, after sending a Shang-Chi clone against the original. Rights issues (why do they try and put licensed characters into mainstream comics? This ALWAYS HAPPENS) have prevented him from returning in his original form. He's come back under a pseudonym or two (such as Zheng Zu), but is generally not much of a major character anymore. Not that he ever was in the first place at Marvel.

The Power of Fu Manchu:
-Not really a true battlefield operative, Fu Manchu is nonetheless exceptionally-dangerous in combat. However, his true strength lies with his mind- he's a hypnotic, wealthy, secretive, well-conntected genius.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Red Ronin! Latino Heroes! Shang-Chi! Fu Manchu!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm definitely looking forward to the Mega Man X builds! (On a related note, Mega Man 11 was announced recently! Only time will tell if it ends up being good, but I'm excited.)

Also, I gotta bring up just how neat the two Worlds Collide/Worlds Unite comic crossovers were again. In particular, Worlds Unite has crossovers from all over Sega and Capcom's video game history, having characters from other worlds fight against SIgma's Maverick army. So you get such gloriousness as the Golden Axe cast fighting Mavericks:
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So most of Shang-Chi's villains are using the same Template, which is why I'll be posting some of them a bit more quickly here. But first, the daughter of Fu Manchu!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.