Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Fu Manchu! Shockwave! Yellow Claw! Baron Strucker!)

Post by Jabroniville »

danelsan wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:28 am oh, wow, that is really not how reference is supposed to be used hahaha. The "heroines stands around in a sexy pose for no reason" thing is already something I don't like about comics, but the artist could at least draw the legs as appropriate for Songbird to have her feet on the ground instead of giving her invisible high heels XD
Funnily enough, you made a similar comment in 2014 :): https://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab-s ... #post26361 (The "Cap" set)
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Yellow Claw! Baron Strucker! The Fenris Twins! Blitzkrieg!)

Post by Jabroniville »

More builds through the ages!

Baron Strucker:
http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.ph ... f#p1057815 (ATT era, during a REALLY random batch of guys- my "Marvel Cards" set! Baron Strucker, Diablo, Moses Magnum, Zodiak... it actually looks like I was going through a list of dudes I'd yet to stat, but the Cards were like that. This is right before I went to Disneyland- the first of FOUR Disney Parks-related trips I've done in the past five years!)
https://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab-s ... #post26132 (My "Captain America" set, three years ago)

Actually very little of him. Not surprising, since I don't care for the character. I should probably have re-posted him during my "HYDRA, SHIELD, etc." Marvel Groups set,b ut I just didn't feel like it, wanting to get through that set quickly. The build has changed little, but my commentary grows with each posting of the guy.

The Fenris Twins:
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 54#p523937 (2e builds!)
http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.ph ... 95#p875306 (a 3e Upstarts set)
https://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab-s ... #post26361 (The "Cap" set)

Blitzkrieg:

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 2d#p496542 (2e! From 2008, even! During an early "Contest of Champions" set. Fairly early on in the thread, actually. Back before I had many readers :))
http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.ph ... e3#p800531 (3e, during my second Contest of Champions set)
https://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab-s ... #post30495 (A Ronin Army re-post, for my "Cap" set)

Shang-Chi:

http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1c#p796723 (the 2011 "Foreigners" set)
https://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab-s ... #post39729 (The "Avengers" set)
Jabroniville

Zeitgeist

Post by Jabroniville »

That's powerful evidence that Zeitgeist does, in fact, have the worst costume ever. Even if you narrow it down all the way to "Villains with capes who wear blue and green spandex covered in pictures of clocks," he's still last on the list.
-someone named Rileycat, making the best comment ever, on my original Zeitgeist build in 2008.

ZEITGEIST (Larry Ekler, aka Everyman)
Created By:
J. M. DeMatteis & Mike Zeck
First Appearance: Captain America #267 (March 1982)
Role: Wielder of the Worst Costume Ever, The Mole
Country of Origin: Germany
Group Affiliations: Schutz Heiligruppe
PL 9 (135)
STRENGTH
2/10 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 6 (+11)
Insight 3 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+8)
Stealth 8 (+10)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Shield, Camera, Foil), Ranged Attack 7, Ultimate Deception Skill

Powers:
"Absorbascann" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [25]
Weaken Strength 2 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Sustained +3) Linked to Affliction 2 (Stamina; Fatigued/Exhausted/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Cumulative, Sustained +3) (26)
Enhanced Strength 8 (Quirks: Requires Weakening to Be In Effect) (15)
-- (41 points)

"Special Belt" (Flaws: Removable) [15]
Concealment (All Visuals) 2 (8)
Morph 2 (Humanoids) (10)
-- (18 points)

Equipment:
"Shield" Dodge 1 & Parry 1 (2)
"Death Camera" Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Limited to Images of Others' Deaths -2) (1)
"Foil" Blast 8 (16) -- (17)
  • AE: Strength-Damage +2 (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Absorbascann Boost +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Weaken +2 Area (+2 Weaken & Affliction, DC 12)
Foil +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Blast +7 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+11 Shield, DC 20-21), Parry +10 (+11 Shield, DC 20-21), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Struggles of the Everyman)- Larry is obsessed with the struggles of "Common people", and targets symbols of America such as Captain America, or exceptional people like Reed Richards.
Responsibility (Totally Nuts)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 15 (135)

-This guy's pretty weird- and a standard "crazy loser" villain named Everyman at first. He became obsessed with the "common man" when his father died penniless, and decided to take it out on powerful people and the government, bringing him into opposition with Captain America. He then fought Mr. Fantastic (revealed to be a "lifelong friend" of Everyman's dad) and Spider-Man- once reverting Reed to normal-level intelligence (something Reed found a thousand times more horrible than losing his "expendable" super-powers, in a neat character moment). This was in Marvel Team-Up.

-Next, we saw him as Zeitgeist, a fictional persona created for some bizarre reason, and he joined Captain Germany's group wearing the world's dumbest super-villain costume (as someone pointed out the last time I posted a build of Zeitigeist, it was even worse than OTHER CLOCK-THEMED CAPE-WEARING VILLAINS' COSTUMES). He finally revealed himself years later, offing Blitzkrieg, Defensor and other minor characters (Poor La Bandera! Poor Machete I!), and then got killed by his old leader Captain Germany. A very, VERY weird story, and I have no idea why they did it.

-This combines a few Everyman bits- that one-shot Absorbascann that Weakened & Afflicted everyone around, while boosting his own Strength), with the Zeitgeist belt that allowed him to duplicate the appearances of others, and become invisible. He's not overly-great all-around (he's only PL 9 when he's packing the Absorbascann), and certainly doesn't hold a candle to Cap in melee- he's more of a Cult Leader/Mystery Killer type of villain.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Yellow Claw! Baron Strucker! The Fenris Twins! Blitzkrieg!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Also, a very old review of Contest of Champions, from 2007: http://4thletter.net/2007/08/the-contes ... light-and/
Ken

Re: Zeitgeist

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:19 pm That's powerful evidence that Zeitgeist does, in fact, have the worst costume ever. Even if you narrow it down all the way to "Villains with capes who wear blue and green spandex covered in pictures of clocks," he's still last on the list.
-someone named Rileycat, making the best comment ever, on my original Zeitgeist build in 2008.

-Next, we saw him as Zeitgeist, a fictional persona created for some bizarre reason, and he joined Captain Germany's group wearing the world's dumbest super-villain costume (as someone pointed out the last time I posted a build of Zeitigeist, it was even worse than OTHER CLOCK-THEMED CAPE-WEARING VILLAINS' COSTUMES).
]ImageImage

I'm not sure. I mean, I'm sure there are a lot of folks who'd say Zeitgeist's costume is better, seeing how Clock King also has his underwear* on the outside.

Me, I'm wondering who looks at Clock King and says, hey, there's a design that needs to be copied.

* - because everyone wears a belt to hold up their undershorts, not. They're trunks damnit.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Brother Voodoo

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

BROTHER VOODOO (Dr. Jericho Drumm, aka Doctor Voodoo)
Created By:
Len Wein & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Strange Tales #169 (Sept. 1973)
Role: Ethnic Stereotype, Mage
Country of Origin: Haiti
Group Affiliations: Heroes For Hire, S.H.I.E.L.D.
PL 10 (146)
STRENGTH
2/5 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Psychologist) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+13)
Insight 6 (+9)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Artificer, Ranged Attack 8, Trance

Powers:
"Master of Voodoo"
"Spirit of Daniel in Others" Mind Control 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (33) -- [45]
  • Dynamic AE: Fire Blast (21)
  • Dynamic AE: "Trance-Like State" Immunity 10 (Fire Effects) (Flaws: Immobile -2) (4)
  • Dynamic AE: "Control Lower Life-Forms" Mind Control 5 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Limited to Animals) (16)
  • Dynamic AE: "Blinding Fog" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Attack, Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Selective) (15)
  • Dynamic AE: Teleport 5 (Extras: Extended) (Flaws: Uncontrolled- Requires the Loa's Allowance) (11)
  • Dynamic AE: "Summon Spirit of Daniel Drumm" Enhanced Strength 3 (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Possessed by Daniel 7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Fire +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (The Gods of the Loa)- Brother Voodoo is subserviant to the wills of the Loa.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 16 (146)

-UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH, no more putting this one off, I guess. My 2011 build of him is hilariously-terse by my current standards, particularly because I'd never read a comic featuring him at the time. He's a recurring character in one of the Avengers books, but I STILL feel as if I have no idea what he's about.

-Brother Voodoo- a guy who debuted in the '70s and had his own short-lived run- has gotten a mini-push in recent years as the new Sorceror Supreme, but it kinda faltered- problems with magic books in comics and all that. He was created in a brainstorming session between Roy Thomas ("Doctor Voodoo?") and Stan Lee ("BROTHER Voodoo!"), and then pawned off on Len Wein and John Romita, Sr. He had a feature in Strange Tales for four issues, then sporadically appeared in other books. Gene Colan's dark art is said to have really helped the early issues, though religious leaders complained in the letters column about the subject matter.

-Jericho Drumm trains in voodoo after his twin brother, Daniel (a local "houngan", or voodoo mystic), dies young. During a voodoo ritual, Daniel's spirit is bound to Jericho's, making him a very powerful master- their teacher then dies, having fashioned a worthy successor at last. Drumm becomes the hero of Haiti after defeating the Cult of Damballah. He later fights the original Black Talon and other evil houngans, and goes on to team up with Spider-Man, Moon Knight & Werewolf By Night.

-The character proved to be not that popular, and was thus really obscure for years- a Doctor Strange story features Strange having to undo Jericho's might after he falls to the lure of power offered by Damballah. He only shows up in modern times when they needed a new "Sorcerer Supreme", turning him into "Doctor Vooodoo" at last. However, he quickly dies fighting off Agamotto, who seeks to rule our dimension.

-Jericho is resurrected quickly in the AXIS storyline, and Rick Remender (who wrote it) got down to a Brother Voodoo solo book... which went about as well as could be expected, given it's a book about an obscure character with a hard-sell power, and it died after five issues. But at least he was able to reverse the "reversed alignments" at the heart of that story. He also joins Remender's Uncanny Avengers book, but gets almost no characterization- he's just kind of "around", seemingly there to fill a Token Minority slot. Which at least makes for an easy bio to write!

-This is entirely Wiki-driven, so I have no idea what else there is. Who has two thumbs and hates statting up Mages? (points thumbs at chest) THIS GUY!!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Baron Strucker! Fenris Twins! Blitzkrieg! Brother Voodoo!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I remember hearing about Brother Voodoo becoming Sorcerer Supreme back when it happened, but I'd never actually seen him, or knew anything about him besides his name until I read your build of him a while back. It was definitely rather odd to stick the title onto some guy nobody knows, but even it was was trying to be a character push for him, it clearly wasn't successful.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Brother is semi-famous among comic readers of my generation who remember how Fred Hembeck used to make fun of him a lot in Marvel Age, but also wrote some quite affecting stories about him, too.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

The Flying Ductchman

Post by Jabroniville »

THE FLYING DUTCHMAN (Joost Van Straaten)
Created By:
Stan Lee & John Buscema
First Appearance: The Silver Surfer #8 (Sept. 1969)
Role: One-Off Villain
Group Affiliations: The Legion of Unliving
PL 11 (186)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Pirate) 5 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Ghost"
Insubstantial 4 [20]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 12 [12]

Illusion (All Senses) 10 (50) -- [52]
  • AE: "Eye Patch Blast" Blast 12 (24)
  • AE: "Metal Claws" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (15)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Claws +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Patch Blast +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +12, Fortitude --, Will +6

Complications: 
Motivation (Greed & Freedom)- The Flying Ductchman first sought wealth at the expense of all things, then desired freedom from Mephisto.
Vulnerable (Holy Water)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 114 / Defenses: 10 (186)

-Jesus, has THIS name been interesting me for a while- a part of "The List" and everything. He appears in Stan Lee's beloved Silver Surfer book as a ghost- the spirit of an old pirate who lusted only for treasure and was consumed with greed. He and all his crew perished when he forced them into a storm, in search of wealth. The souls of his crew were allowed to rest in their final reward, but he was not- the Flying Dutchman was cast into Limbo. His spirit was summoned by Mephisto, and promised freedom if he slew the Surfer. The Flying Dutchman's Ghost attacked, but eventually betrayed Mephisto, saving the noble Surfer's life. This doomed him to an eternity in Limbo... except Norrin Radd shed a tear for his fallen foe, thus releasing him from his eternal curser.

-The character TECHNICALLY vanished after this one-off, but returned thanks to the time-travel machinations of Immortus, who plucked him from time and used him to fight The Vision (who couldn't go immaterial against a ghost). Other comics used him in flashback. Then a Marvel Comics Presents issue inexplicably used him a pawn of Mephisto once more, sending him against Devil-Slayer- he was undone by holy water.

-I can't imagine how this guy lasted even five seconds against the Silver Surfer, so I'm assuming he's quite powerful- Mephisto also gave him a hell an upgrade. He's PL 11 defensively and as a blaster.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Didn't the Cat (pre-Tigra) also fight him?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 am Didn't the Cat (pre-Tigra) also fight him?
Yeah, I think so- one of the "other comics used him in a flashback" books was that one.
Arkrite

Re: Brother Voodoo

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:44 pm Image
For some reason my first thought was "Wow, Spawn's face finally healed."
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Davies wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:03 pm The Brother is semi-famous among comic readers of my generation who remember how Fred Hembeck used to make fun of him a lot in Marvel Age, but also wrote some quite affecting stories about him, too.
Hembeck used to have Brother Voodoo show up just to "retain copyright," a playful jab at Marvel Two-in-One and Marvel Team-Up, I'm sure. There was also a non-Hembeck strip that did the same sort of thing for Star Lord, the only time I ever saw Star Lord before Abnett and Lanning started using him.

The odd thing about Brother Voodoo, which Strange neatly sidestepped, is that Voodoo is a world religion with actual rituals and beliefs and practitioners. I guess they're not as vocal as adherents to other religions, or maybe Brother Voodoo is still too obscure, even as Sorcerer Supreme. I think if Marvel tried to have some kind of Super Jesuit or something who used John Dee's old spellbook there would be more hue and cry.

I guess this kind of dovetails into that discussion about Hindu gods in comics from a few pages back.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Jab, didn't Shang-Chi have an adversary named Midnight who ended up becoming Midnight SUN, a SILVER SURFER villain? Between Shockwave going on to face off against Iron Man, I'd have to say Shang-Chi better master Chi energies quickly, because at least two foes have SERIOUSLY "leveled up" and might decide on payback for past defeats.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:51 am Jab, didn't Shang-Chi have an adversary named Midnight who ended up becoming Midnight SUN, a SILVER SURFER villain? Between Shockwave going on to face off against Iron Man, I'd have to say Shang-Chi better master Chi energies quickly, because at least two foes have SERIOUSLY "leveled up" and might decide on payback for past defeats.

All my best.
Yup, that guy, too. One of the bigger cases of a martial artist "leveling up" that I can recall.