Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Honey Lemon

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 pm Image

-Honey Lemon (an obvious play on Cutey Honey, a Fanservice Show revolving around a heroine whose clothes would shred themselves while she changed into newer, sexier outfits) is the pretty, blonde-haired (in Japan? Oh, right- Anime) Gadget Girl of the team
Made more risque when one realises what "lemon" means in otaku circles. A lemon manga or lemon anime is a manga or anime which is sexually explicit.
Last edited by Ken on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (White Fox! Weapon: PRIME! Big Hero Six!)

Post by Ares »

I've actually debated using my YouTube channel for analysis videos about adaptations from one media to another, the kinds of things that need to be considered when turning a novel into a TV series, a comic book into a film, a toy into an animated series, that sort of thing. Do things like analyze the source material, talk about core concepts, discuss the decisions that go into what gets kept and what gets changed, and boil down the adaptation into how good of an adaptation it is, and how good the adaptation stands on its own merits.

Big Hero 6 would be my text book example of a work that is not a very good adaptation of the source material, but that the final work is better for it because the source material sucks. The original Big Hero 6 was a terrible book that rightfully didn't succeed. Now a Japanese based Marvel team where the heroes actually resemble the kind of heroes you see in Japanese media? THAT would be cool. Heroes that resemble guys from Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon and what not would be GREAT and add a dimension to the Marvel Universe.

But what we got was terrible, so when Disney chose to adapt it, they kept only the few workable concepts and re-made everything else. And it worked GREAT. To the point that the animated film Big Hero 6 now has its own animated series.

I'm frankly surprised they haven't tried to re-imagine the characters to be more like the animated film, because the original stuff was just bad.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Big Hero 6 (The Movie)

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

BIG HERO 6 (2014):
Written by:
Jordan Roberts, Robert L. Baird & Daniel Gerson

-Among the more curious ideas I've ever seen is the random-ass decision to take a one-shot, failed Limited Series from Marvel, and turn it into a part of the official Disney Animated Canon. Now, contemporary books had always been a "Disney Thing", as works like Bambi and Dumbo were based off of modern children's stories and not ancient fairy tales (The Rescuers, The Great Mouse Detective and others, too). But THIS is the first big animated project based off of a Marvel work?

And yet... it works. See, almost all of the other Marvel works would have been too "big" or important to be put into a separate continuity. Even half-assed acts like Cloak & Dagger could theoretically have been useful to either the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or been pushed in the comics by Marvel once again. But something that was in NO DANGER of being revived by Marvel into something big? They could EASILY just let Hiro, Baymax and the others disappear into Comic Book Limbo forever rather than touch on it again. And THAT'S why this was such a good idea.

And also... because Big Hero 6 was a failure, they could easily change everything about it without anyone bitching! Get rid of The Silver Samurai? GREAT! Get rid of Sunfire (never mind that the title of the series WAS Sunfire & Big Hero 6)? SURE! Turn the entire cast into a multiracial band of super-geniuses? Why not! The end result is a team that basically shares the names (sort of) of the original team, but has all-new personalities and even some new powers in many cases. A few character redesigns and a brand-new villain, and we're good to go!

It's basically about Hiro Hamada (not Takachiho), an orphan genius who's also got a rad big brother and a young-ish cafe owner Aunt Cass. He's eager to be accepted into a College Robotics Program, but then stuff happens and his brother dies. His bro's Robot creation, Baymax, is a "Health Care Provider" that is awakened, and tries to help the grieving protagonist out. When he discovers his own invention, a bunch of Microbots that follow telepathic commands, being used by a mysterious Masked Man, he gathers Baymax and his brother's classmates together to form a Super-Hero Team of Vengeance.

The movie is quite good- not EXCELLENT or nothin', but definitely watchable and has some great action sequences. The humor works very well, and the core relationship at the centre of the film (Hiro and Baymax- the robotic health-care provider created by his deceased brother) works. Without THAT, the film wouldn't have been anything. Funny how there's a ton of Disney Tropes right out of the gate- we've got Unexplained Dead Parents, the Smokin' Hot Mother Figure (though Aunt Cass is a bit young... and oddly 100% white-looking, basically identical to Frozen's Anna but with new hair- I guess Hiro & Tadashi are biracial and she's the sister of the white parent?), the Whacky Mascot Whose Toy You Will Want To Buy, etc. The fact that a sibling relationship is the core of the film is quite similar to Frozen, but it goes in a completetly different direction with it. They ALSO jump in and try to SPARE THE BAD GUY, which is totally contrary to modern Marvel films- don't they know the heroes are supposed to be murderous vigilantes that slaughter their opponents?

The movie reverses the perceived flaw of Guardians of the Galaxy- while that films spends an hour fleshing out the Supporting Cast, and very little time on the villain ("he's an evil asshole! And a bigot! And he's got this weapon! OK, got it?"), this one spends a good deal of time on the VILLAIN, and leaves the SUPPORTING CAST kind of in the lurch. The movie is really about Hiro and Baymax, with our Mascot getting all of the good lines in a great deadpan voice that doesn't ATTEMPT to be cute, but comes across as it- he's utterly-cute and collectible. Hiro is pissy and anti-social since almost everyone he knows died and stuff, while Baymax is just trying to give him "health care" by helping him out with super-heroics (believing it'll help cure Hiro's depression). The Supporting Cast, by contrast, is given basically a snippet of introduction each (Go Go is a "Bad Girl" tough punker chick, Honey Lemon is a goofball dorky girl, Wasabi is cowardly, Fred is a big moron), then a few more character bits as time goes on- their backstory, depth and even REAL NAMES are basically ignored because they're not important to the overall narrative. This could be problematic if they turned this into a TV series or something (though I don't think Disney's into doing that any longer). (Edit: Heh. Written in 2014, folks!)

The City of San Fransokyo is a REALLY good, inventive design, but I feel they don't spend enough time on it- it's really just the backdrop to stuff that's going on, and they really just ZOOM by it in most of the various chases in the film. There's a neat bit about the nature of vengeance as well. And also some of the characters look like characters from the Canadian cartoon 6teen, which is pretty funny- the personalities of Nikki & GoGo and Jude & Fred match up REALLY well, and you could even make a link between Wasabi & Wyatt.

And yes, there is now a cartoon series coming out- I was hoping to have seen the debut Mini-Movie, but apparently I missed out on recording it. I'll have to wait and see.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Toni Ho! Haven! White Fox! Weapon: PRIME!)

Post by Jabroniville »

brothersale wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:15 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:55 am Survey time!!

Testing interest in some other things- please let me know which draw your interest the most:

* Overwatch (all new)
* DC Villains (it's been noted I have relatively few non-Animated versions)

* Watchmen (all new)
I would love to see your take on Overwatch or the DC villains. And while i would like to see your take on the Watchmen, i think you may want to wait until the current Doomsday Clock series reaches its concusion, so that all the details are available for the builds.
Hm, yeah, that's a good point. I won't be reading that series, and I disagree that DC is even MAKING it, but it's probably pertinent to stuff.

It occurs to me that since the "DC Villains" option is doing well, I'll have to figure out just what that MEANS. Probably the main Rogues of the main heroes... but I usually prefer to do characters in SETS. I suppose my OCD-ness could stand to post the main JLA guys apart from the other heroes, just to get their Rogues out there.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

aw man, I would butter her canolis in a second, you know what I'm sayin'?

I'm saying that I wish to make babies with Aunt Cass. Did that come across?
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

Overwatch...and Watchmen, because I can actually use those characters. Actually, I need a lot more video game characters...my comic NPCs are pretty maxed out...

However, anything you do will be appreciated :)

-STS
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:03 am Image

aw man, I would butter her canolis in a second, you know what I'm sayin'?

I'm saying that I wish to make babies with Aunt Cass. Did that come across?
She's a Big Hero Six Symbol?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Hiro Hamada

Post by Jabroniville »

HIRO HAMADA
Played By:
Ryan Potter
Role: Child Genius
Group Affiliations: The Big Hero 6
PL 6 (78)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills: 
Acrobatics 2 (+4)
Athletics 5 (+5)
Deception 5 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+13)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+8)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Technology 8 (+14)

Advantages: 
Beginner's Luck, Inventor, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Baymax Attachment Gear" (Flaws: Removable) [6]
Protection 3 (3)
"Super-Grip" Enhanced Strength 8 (Flaws: Limited to Maintaining Grip, Limited to Metallic Objects) (4)
-- (7 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1 (+4 Suit), Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Tadashi Hamada)- Hiro was extremely close to his older brother, and is destroyed by Tadashi's death. When he finds out the Masked Man set the fire that killed Tadashi, Hiro swears vengeance. Baymax (programmed with Tadashi's instructions and some of his video commentary) is all that's left of Tadashi now.
Relationship (Teammates)- The Big Hero 6 are Hiro's allies, and friends of Tadashi's- they join Hiro to uncover the secrets, and to watch out over their pal's brother.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 13 (78)

-Hiro (now named "Hamada", since it's easier and more fun to say than "Takachiho") is kind of a bored, troubled kid at the start of Big Hero 6, engaging in underground Robot Fighting tournaments using a powerful-but-tiny robot to hustle bad-boy criminal-types (losing one match and then begging for another "double or nothing" shot, revealing then that his robot is more advanced). His older brother Tadashi gets on his case about this (and the wasting of his genius on such trivial pursuits), showing him the amazing work being done at the San Fransokyo University institute. Hiro bonds instantly with the Professor and makes an inroad to getting accepted (he's young, but smart enough to get in), especially with the invention of "Microbots", tiny robots that combine to form solid objects.

-When the Professor & Tadashi are lost in a fire, he's shattered emotionally, using Tadashi's last invention, Baymax, to find out who stole his Microbots. He becomes consumed with vengeance, blaming the Masked Man for their deaths, and nearly commits first-degree murder.
Jabroniville

Baymax

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87z-CjqMsiM

OH MY GOD I WANT A BAYMAX!!!!

And a Honey Lemon.

BAYMAX
Played By:
Scott Adsit
Role: Robot Buddy, Mascot Character
PL 9 (161)
STRENGTH
2/6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0/3
FIGHTING 0/8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Perception 8 (+8)

Advantages: 
Eidetic Memory, Fearless

Powers:
"Robotic Body"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
"Strong, But A Weak Hitter" Power-Lifting 3 (1,600 lbs.) [3]
Protection 4 [4]
"Inflatable" Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) [5]
"Health Sensors" Senses 7 (Analytical Vision, Vision Penetrates Concealment, Low-Light Vision) [7]
"I am Equipped With Defilibrators" Affliction 5 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Can Also Restart Hearts) (Inaccurate -2) [4]
Features 2: Video Screen in Chest, Deflates For Easy Storage [2]
Communication (Computers) 1 [4]

"Green Chip- Healthcare Provider"
Enhanced Skills 16: Insight 5 (+6), Treatment 11 (+14) [8]
Enhanced Advantages 1: Interpose [1]

"Red Chip- Martial Arts Master"
Enhanced Agility 3 [6]
Enhanced Fighting 8 [16]
Enhanced Skills 12: Athletics 4 (+6/+12), Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+12), Ranged Combat (Fists) 4 (+10) [6]
Enhanced Advantages 13: Accurate Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown [13]
Enhanced Dodge 5 [5]

"Rad Baymax Armour" (Flaws: Removable) (Feats: Restricted to Large Robots) [37]
Strength-Damage +4 (4)
Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 5) (11)
Flight 7 (250 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (7)
"Helmet Sensors" Senses 5 (Extended Vision 4, Communication Link) (5)
"Rocket Punch" Blast 8 (Feats: Split) (17)
-- (44 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Red Chip +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Rocket Punch +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0 (+7 Red Chip)

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+10 Armor, +3 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Human Health)- Baymax is designed to care for the health of others, though this can be an involved process. His is incapable of taking a human life while the Green Chip is active.
Relationship (Hiro)- Baymax is Hiro's personal healthcare companion- he will provide Hiro with constant care until the boy says he's satisfied with Baymax's services.
Disabled ("I am low on batteries")- Baymax can run out of battery power, growing more bizarre and goofy ("Haairrrrrrrrrry BABY! HAIRY BABYYYY...") with each passing moment. This process takes like an HOUR, and only happens before things get serious, though.
Disabled ("I am not fast")- Baymax does not move very quickly without his Armor on- he's slower moving than even the much smaller-legged Hiro.
Vulnerable (Sharp Objects)- Pointy objects and attacks can easily cause Baymax structural-damage and deflate his body, preventing his Inflatable power from working. It also makes loud noises if he tries to "puff up".
Disabled (Large)- Baymax's full inflation makes it hard for him to fit into tiny spaces.
Quirks (Rocket Punch)- Baymax's Rocket Punch works via firing off the outer housing around his hands- it may take a few seconds for the fist to properly reattach. He may not always use it every round.
Involuntary Transformation (Killer Robot)- Without his Green Chip, Baymax will become a mere Fighting Machine, incapable of reason or compromise. He will simply destroy whatever he's been sent at. In this form, he will lose all compassion and Mental Abilities, and upgrade his Power Level to PL 10 (at least), largely through increased accuracy. Similarly, without the Red Chip, he will lose all Fighting Skill.

Total: Abilities: 0 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 151 / Defenses: 4 (161)

-Baymax is our Mascot Character and Funny Robot in Big Hero 6, and thankfully fails to be annoying. He activates to care for Hiro, and is easily manipulated into following the boy around and helping in his war against Yokai, the masked man responsible for stealing Hiro's Microbots and killing his brother Tadashi (Baymax wants to cure Hiro of his grief and depression, and believes that accomplishing this means stopping Yokai).

-A nice thing about Baymax in the movie is that he never goes full-Star Trek and starts understanding humanity or getting a "real" personality- he is always just a robot acting out his programming- it's just that his programming (caring for people) COMES ACROSS THE SAME. So he will help people out, providing care and assistance, and even help to reassure people or make them feel better MENTALLY. It's just that these attributes act like a real personality. It's a unique mix, and a difficult thing to really pull off (even the Disney Wiki page says he "moves past his programming", which is inaccurate), but it allows him to come across as being a loving friend and caregiver without actually being a "what is this human value known as 'friendship'?"-type cheesy thing.

-Baymax is a simple Helper Bot at first, using his Green Chip to provide healthcare to Hiro (who becomes his patient by saying "Ow", activating the Baymax unit). He has knowledge of all medical techniques and comes equipped with defilibrators in his hands, but isn't much good in a fight ("I am not fast."). However, when Hiro first creates a Red Chip containing wicked movie karate moves, then equips the guy with an extreme amount of bad-ass armor, Baymax suddenly becomes a PL 9 Martial Arts Powerhouse, doing tons of damage. His Sensor Range increases (he's able to pick Yokai out of AN ENTIRE CITY OF PEOPLE by standing far above it), he can fire a Rocket Punch, lift 1000 pounds, and fight like a karate master- in short, Baymax becomes an ass-kicker. Hiro can even turn him into a murderous creature by removing the Green Chip, resulting in a red-eyed Nightmare Fuel-y monster.
Spam

Post by Spam »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 pm Image
Anyone think that where the arrow is pointing is coincidence?
Jabroniville

Honey Lemon

Post by Jabroniville »

NOM NOM NOM NOM

HONEY LEMON
Played By:
Genesis Rodriguez
Role: Quirky Girl, Girly Nerd, Hottest Mad Scientist Ever
PL 8 (107)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Athletics 5 (+5)
Expertise (Cooking) 4 (+10)
Expertise (Fashion) 4 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+11)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+15) -- Flaws: Limited to Chemistry
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Balls) 1 (+8)
Technology 4 (+9)

Advantages: 
Equipment (Communications, Protection +2), Improved Aim, Inventor, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Chemical Purse" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [26]
Equipment 2: Miniaturized Laboratory (2)
"Acid Ball" Weaken Toughness 8 (Extras: Affects Objects, Ranged, Secondary Effect) (Dim. Range -1) Linked to Blast 4 (Diminished Range -1) (38) -- (43)
  • AE: "Sticky Bomb" Snare 8 (Extras: Contagious) (Diminished Range -1) (31)
  • AE: "Candy Sphere" Create 8 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent +0) (Quirks: Only a Sphere -2, Diminished Range -1) (14)
  • AE: "Ice Slick" Affliction 8 (Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Ranged, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited to Grounded Targets) (Diminished Range -1) (23)
  • AE: "Fall-Breaker" Movement 1 (Safe Fall) (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (4)
    AE: "Smokescreen" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Ranged) (Diminished Range -1) (9)
-- (45 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Acid Ball +8 (+8 Ranged Weaken & +4 Ranged Damage, DC 18 & 19)
Sticky Bomb +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Ice Slick +8 Area (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +1 (+3 Armor), Fortitude +3, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Science!)- Honey comes across as a bit of a "mad scientist", a bit over-exuberant in her chemical creations.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 13 (107)

-Honey Lemon has been turned from a Sexpot Hammerspace Engineer into a scrawny, huge-eyed super-girly dork, and OH MY GOD I WANT TO BURY MY TONGUE IN HER BUTTHOI mean take her to the opera and introduce her to my parents. Okay, so the combination of dorky, gangly chick and exciteable blabbermouth is hot- sue me. Played by Genesis Rodriguez (that's the weirdest name ever- does she have a cousin named Turbografx Dominguez or something?), she yaps on sometimes, and is generally the most idealistic member of the team. She plants one on Hiro in excitement, and is oddly the only person in the film to pronounce his name the way they would in Japan (even TADASHI doesn't). And her powers are pretty unique and cool, and is one of the rare superheroines to wear pink as a primary colour.

-And she has a pink purse full of balls of specially-treated chemicals that can be used for a variety of effects, five of which are shown in the film (and two of which I only got because of the Disney Wikia page, despite having tried to keep mental track of them in the film, because this thread has made me do that for all things by this point- I must be getting old). There's also a description of an Acid Ball, which I don't remember seeing. This could easily be expanded upon, however, as Kreuzritter does in his upgraded build. 
Jabroniville

GoGo Tomago

Post by Jabroniville »

... thighs are rad.

GOGO TOMAGO (Ethel Tomago)
Played By:
Jamie Chung
Role: Action Girl, Bad-Ass Biker Chick, Speedster
PL 8 (135)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 4 (+5)
Close Combat (Maglev Discs) 4 (+12)
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+13)
Insight 1 (+4)
Perception 1 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Maglev Discs) 4 (+10)
Technology 8 (+13)
Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Evasion 2, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Inventor, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 2, Seize Initiative, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Magnetic-Levitation Speed Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [26]
Speed 8 (500 mph) (8)
Protection 1 (1)
Equipment (CommLink) (1)
"Disc Defense" Enhanced Defenses 2 (4)

"Throwing Discs" Blast 6 (Feats: Ricochet 3) (15) -- (17)
  • AE: "Slashing Disc" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (8)
  • AE: "Mag-Lev Rush" Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited to Movement Path) (7)
-- (32 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Slashing Disc +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Throwing Discs +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Mag-Lev Rush +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+12 Discs, DC 22), Parry +10 (+12 Discs, DC 22), Toughness +3 (+4 Suit), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation ("The Need For Speed")- GoGo's an adrenaline junkie out for increased speed.
Power Loss (Mag-Lev Discs)- GoGo could theoretically lose her Discs if disarmed or the enemy manages to catch them. She has four overall, and they ARE magnetically-linked to her costume, so this is probably rather unlikely.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 11 (135)

-The movie's GoGo was apparently designed to be Korean (by her Korean designer), based off of a combination of a "Big Sister" archetype in Korean culture and the Bike Messenger culture of San Francisco. She's an action-junkie girl who looks incredibly-similar to Nikki from 6teen, which would be easier to pass off as coincidence if Fred didn't look so much like Jude, and the personalities of the characters didn't match up just as well. In any case, she's kind of the Deadpan Snarker/Tough Girl of the group, which they kind of needed since everyone else is so friendly (save morose Hiro). There was meant to be a bit of a rivalry between her & Honey (much like the comics), revolving around Honey being more boy-crazy and girly-girly, but this was mostly excised between the beginning and end of the planning stages. In the end, she's just a tough chick, though seems as emotional towards Hiro as anyone (even being the first to hug him at one point).

-GoGo's the easiest of the kids to get to 120 points, to the point where she actually goes OVER it. It's down to her super-fast suit and her reasonable number of Skills & Advantages with a specific "gimmick" (moving quickly and avoiding things).

Nikki from "6teen", for reference.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 2:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 pm -Honey Lemon has been turned from a Sexpot Hammerspace Engineer into a scrawny, huge-eyed super-girly dork, and OH MY GOD I WANT TO BURY MY TONGUE IN HER BUTTHOI mean take her to the opera and introduce her to my parents. Okay, so the combination of dorky, gangly chick and exciteable blabbermouth is hot- sue me.
Welp, time to raise the war flags because: Jab, this one is mine! ;~)

Seriously though, I swear somebody went and created a list of things I'm attracted to and checked off every box.
Skinny, tall, glasses, long hair, smart, geeky, excitable, caring, loyal, and legs that just don't quit...

Sorry, what were we talking about again?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:45 am I've actually debated using my YouTube channel for analysis videos about adaptations from one media to another, the kinds of things that need to be considered when turning a novel into a TV series, a comic book into a film, a toy into an animated series, that sort of thing. Do things like analyze the source material, talk about core concepts, discuss the decisions that go into what gets kept and what gets changed, and boil down the adaptation into how good of an adaptation it is, and how good the adaptation stands on its own merits.

Big Hero 6 would be my text book example of a work that is not a very good adaptation of the source material, but that the final work is better for it because the source material sucks. The original Big Hero 6 was a terrible book that rightfully didn't succeed. Now a Japanese based Marvel team where the heroes actually resemble the kind of heroes you see in Japanese media? THAT would be cool. Heroes that resemble guys from Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon and what not would be GREAT and add a dimension to the Marvel Universe.

But what we got was terrible, so when Disney chose to adapt it, they kept only the few workable concepts and re-made everything else. And it worked GREAT. To the point that the animated film Big Hero 6 now has its own animated series.

I'm frankly surprised they haven't tried to re-imagine the characters to be more like the animated film, because the original stuff was just bad.
Yeah, it's the damndest thing. They basically copy the names, and a smidgen of some concepts (Hiro = Inventor, GoGo = Fast), and that's it. Honey Lemon becomes a white scientist with a purse full of chemicals. Wasabi becomes a black guy. Fredzilla is a white slacker. It makes me wonder why they even bothered with an adaptation at all, instead of coming up with their own thing. Because it's not like Big Hero Six had any name value as a comic (they have all of 3 appearances).

I do wonder why Marvel doesn't try to mimic anime/manga/sentai a LITTLE more clearly when they do Japanese superheroes- it'd sure be a lot easier than going "well we added some goofy words together- now to come up with a concept!"
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:17 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 pm -Honey Lemon has been turned from a Sexpot Hammerspace Engineer into a scrawny, huge-eyed super-girly dork, and OH MY GOD I WANT TO BURY MY TONGUE IN HER BUTTHOI mean take her to the opera and introduce her to my parents. Okay, so the combination of dorky, gangly chick and exciteable blabbermouth is hot- sue me.
Welp, time to raise the war flags because: Jab, this one is mine! ;~)

Seriously though, I swear somebody went and created a list of things I'm attracted to and checked off every box.
Skinny, tall, glasses, long hair, smart, geeky, excitable, caring, loyal, and legs that just don't quit...

Sorry, what were we talking about again?
*pulls out knife*

You can have her... if I'm allowed Aunt Cass. Only offer you're gonna get.