Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

Re: Jab's Builds! (Chaos! Blizzard! Slashfang! Necrosan! Gargoyles!)

Post by Yojimbo »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:09 am And he was Keith the Handyman in a handful of episodes of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.
So Goliath and Batman both worked for Fred Rogers at one time? AWESOME.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:02 am I just want it noted, I am not gay for Keith David. At all. I don't want to hear that smooth baritone in my ear as I get massaged by those big, strong arms...
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Seriously though, that man's voice. Wow.
If I could have a voice like that I would be a happy man. My voice is kind of... monotone.

And boy does he do a good job, Goliath is the main character and Keith David gives him a lot of range without any of it seeming forced of hammy.

Oh damn it all, now I got to go dig out my old Gargoyle DVDs.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Slashfang! Necrosan! Gargoyles! Goliath! Brooklyn!)

Post by Ares »

Thinking about it, it's kind of hard to figure out what an "average" gargoyle is in terms of strength. Goliath is considered powerful even by gargoyle standards, so he's definitely not standard. There were gargoyles with a similar build, such as Leo, Kai and possibly even Broadway when he fully matures and loses some weight.

You had other gargoyles who were slimmer but still appropriately heroic in build, like Griff and Yama, and most gargoyle women had a similar build. I'm guessing those are the "averages" for a gargoyle, and that Brooklyn would be one with slightly below average strength in exchange for slightly above average speed/agility, whereas Lex is noticeably smaller and faster.

Also, just in case some madness strikes Jab and he chooses not to use these images when he posts her write-up:

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

You do realize Jab will be out of commission for at least four hours after seeing those pictures, right? ;~)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:05 am You do realize Jab will be out of commission for at least four hours after seeing those pictures, right? ;~)
Psh. Like I wasn't up all last night finding pics for the thread, then took the requisite cold shower :).
Jabroniville

Lexington

Post by Jabroniville »

LEXINGTON
Played By:
Thom Adcox
Role: The Shrimp, Team Tech-Guy
PL 8 (139)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Warrior) 1 (+6)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 1 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+11)
Insight 1 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 1 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+9)
Technology 7 (+12)
Vehicles 5 (+8)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Equipment (Computer), Evasion, Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Airborne), Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Jack-of-All-Trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Seize Initiative, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Gargoyle Wings" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (Quirks: Gliders) [3]
"Defenders of the Night" Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Healing At Night" Regeneration 4 (Flaws: Limited to During the Stone-Sleep) [2]
"Long Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]

"Piercing Claws"
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) [3]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Stone By Day)- All Gargoyles are forced into a stone "hibernation" during the day- they will become unaware of their surroundings and immobile during this time, and are incredibly vulnerable. As a bonus, they appear to be harmless stone statues (which almost never go noticed by people as odd).
Responsibility (Last of Their Kind)- Lexington and The Manhattan Clan are among the last Gargoyles alive (a list that happily grows larger over time).
Responsibility (The Manhattan Clan)- Clans are Serious Business to Gargoyles. Mess with one, you mess with them all.
Prejudice (Monster)- Gargoyles are very frightening to human beings.
Enemy (The Pack)- Lexington was made a fool of by The Pack in their first appearance, and he never quite forgave them (much like how Brooklyn always hated Demona).

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 15 (139)

-Lexington was the necessary "understands how machines work" guy in the show- you really couldn't have the entire cast stumble about, knowing nothing about anything. Lex was also kinda shrimpy, but fairly capable in battle, and was the cuter, more innocent member of the pretty-ugly clan. I didn't care for him as much as the others (not nearly as bad-ass or as conflicted as I liked 'em), but he was still alright. That fantasy-future episode where Cyborg-Lex takes over the world gave a significantly darker edge to his persona as well. And Greg Weisman says that Lex is apparently gay (despite his chasing of Angela early on).

-Lex has the most interesting "Gargoyle Anatomy" of the crew, featuring a combination of bat's wings and a flying squirrel's anatomy, as his wings lead from hand to foot. Given that he wears A BELT, this is a bit odd, but they do some weird thing where they say he cut holes in his wings (which, of course, are supposed to CATCH AIR in order to maintain lift, but what the hell, right?) to fit the belt as it loops around. No other Gargoyle seen in the series has wings like this, nor is anywhere near as small as Lex.

-Lexington, like most Skillmonkeys, ends up costing a fair bit more in this edition, twenty points more than the other two members of The Trio. Statting up kind of like a high-accuracy & defense character who's much weaker and more fragile than the rest of the Clan (note: still stronger than most humans, and he can still one-punch bad guys and do the "Full room toss" like the others), he lacks most of their Combat Advantages, instead possessing the computer and various techno-skills that make him indispensible in other ways. Note that he's only PL 7.5 on offense, being at the same accuracy level of Goliath & Brooklyn, but weaker- he never felt like the ass-kicker the others did, despite being a quicker fighter.
Ken

Post by Ken »

That's Elisa Maza as Belle, right?

Sorry, but I missed Gargoyles pretty completely (I'm old, so I was at work when it was on), so everything I know about them is second or third hand.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:20 pm Definitely looking forward to this. Gargoyles is definitely one of the best tv series (animated or not) ever, and probably my favorite television show of all time. I do agree that other shows have an edge on it in certain respects (better fight choreography, consistently better animation, better humor, etc.) but Gargoyles overall balance makes it a superior show.

Batman: TAS, for instance, has some of the strongest single episodes in all of television, but there are some forgettable ones, and the revamped episodes once they brought in Tim Drake suffered a huge decline in quality. Moreover, Batman: TAS never really allowed for story-arcs, character growth and the like. Similarly, Avatar had a strong myth arc, but it's first seasons of both Last Airbender and Korra both suffered from growing pains and trying to find their feet. The Simpsons is funnier, but has begun to collapse under the weight of its own bloated run. Overall it's hard to think of a show that does everything Gargoyles does so well. It's like the Jack of All Trades of TV shows: there are people who might be a little smarter, a little funnier, a little stronger, but no one who combines it'

Gargoyle's biggest problem, to me, was that third season no one likes to talk about, which had all of two good episodes: the last one written by Greg Weisman, and the one where Hudson is going blind and gets some help from his blind friend, who reveals he figured out Hudson was a Gargoyle.

Overall though, Gargoyles is an excellent series, and one I definitely include in any "merged" settings I do. It's a very unique blend of urban-fantasy, sci-fi and pseudo-superheroes, being almost pulp-esque in certain respects.
Yeah, this is a good way of looking at it. It never hit the sheer PEAKS of Avatar or Batman: TAS, but it had far less variability of greatness- being good the whole way through (until the non-canonical third season). The animation quality was often MUCH better than most of its contemporaries, being filmed at Disney Studios Japan, which was the "A" of the A-List studios. Batman, while beautifully shot, never got THAT good. Great directors; worse animators.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:58 am Thinking about it, it's kind of hard to figure out what an "average" gargoyle is in terms of strength. Goliath is considered powerful even by gargoyle standards, so he's definitely not standard. There were gargoyles with a similar build, such as Leo, Kai and possibly even Broadway when he fully matures and loses some weight.

You had other gargoyles who were slimmer but still appropriately heroic in build, like Griff and Yama, and most gargoyle women had a similar build. I'm guessing those are the "averages" for a gargoyle, and that Brooklyn would be one with slightly below average strength in exchange for slightly above average speed/agility, whereas Lex is noticeably smaller and faster.
I associated Gabriel (from Avalon) and his ilk (like Demona's "Second Clan") as the "Generic Gargoyle Size". A very "Heroic" Comic Book Physique, while the Manhattan Trio were deliberately kept a bit more strange and "kiddie" so that younger audience would enjoy them, and older ones would see them as "innocent" (Lex & Broadway have big, goofy "muzzles"; Lex is tiny; Broadway is fat; Brooklyn is very slim compared to Gargoyles and humans alike). I'd imagine Brooklyn MIGHT hit the "Gabriel Size" eventually. Broadway is an unknown- he seems like he'll grow up into a powerhouse like Hudson probably was in his youth (they are father and son, after all). But he'll probably always be weaker than Goliath in "M&M Stats", and in the show's stats.

Strength is an odd thing in the series, like I said- taking stock of every single strength feat I could find, I ended up with Coldstone's "Car Toss" as the top-tier, but not something the others could do. Extra Effort can explain any of the freakish showings (Goliath's "Loader Tear" feat).

Comparing Gargoyles in a Merged U is a bit odd, because most of them weren't THAT far beyond normal humans- the GargVerse lacks "High-End Martial Artist" types, so it's hard to see how Daredevil & Shang-Chi-types would go against them. The Pack, the closest real-world equivalent, were easy pickings once they were disarmed. Even Macbeth needed to use gear. But human punches and kicks would hurt even Goliath more than they'd ever have affected someone like The Scorpion or Venom in comics.

Goliath was actually a PL 9 in my original stats, until I realized how "wrong" it felt that this put him below Daredevil, Bullseye and others. His raw strength would overcome his comparative lack of accuracy, I think.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:43 am That's Elisa Maza as Belle, right?

Sorry, but I missed Gargoyles pretty completely (I'm old, so I was at work when it was on), so everything I know about them is second or third hand.
Yup- during the infamous episode where it's Halloween, Fox is transformed into a monster, and the Gargoyles take advantage of the holiday to travel among the humans. Elisa decides to go to a dance with Goliath... wearing the all-time sexiest look in history.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

More tributes to Keith David from me. Since he's in my all time favorite movie, The Thing, he's pretty significant to me. :)

"Voodoo Bullshit" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pL9gxu5LV8

"Cut me loose dammit!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDzjijc6jY

The ending of "The Thing": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA4Ozqt7338

The legendary street fight between Keith and Roddy in "They Live": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mm4mLsCAyI

Compilation of best Keith David quotes from most of what he's starred in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL7Ylac6tPM
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:03 am So.. most people know the 80s action sci fi movie

A lot of the time, they think of this guy

Mr "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Fewer people think of his partner:

Yeah, that's Keith David. That's the guy that played Goliath. That's the guy with the incredible voice.

That's the guy that has been in Marvel's New Warriors, Greenleaf, Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters, Rick and Morty, The Flash, Young Justice and many many more. IMDB has 283 acting credits for him since 1979.

Yeah, that's the guy.
Piper also put him over in an interview about being awesome. That Keith was not only a big guy, but due to years of dance he was also remarkably agile and light on his feet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:11 am He lends his totally not-sexy voice to countless documentaries as well, plus he was the "is it the frank or the beans?" stepdad in There's Something About Mary.
he actually did a comics documentary. I can't remember which one it was (Comic Heroes Unmasked maybe) but it was awesome
Jabroniville

Broadway

Post by Jabroniville »

BROADWAY
Played By:
Bill "Patrick Star" Fagerbakke
Role: The Big Guy, The Big Eater, Funny Fat Guy, The Pop Culture Nut
PL 8 (122)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 5 (+7)
Athletics 3 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Warrior) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 9 (+9)
Expertise (Streetwise) 5 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 1 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Airborne), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
"Gargoyle Wings" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (Quirks: Gliders) [3]
"Defenders of the Night" Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Healing At Night" Regeneration 4 (Flaws: Limited to During the Stone-Sleep) [2]
"Long Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]

"Piercing Claws"
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) [3]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Stone By Day)- All Gargoyles are forced into a stone "hibernation" during the day- they will become unaware of their surroundings and immobile during this time, and are incredibly vulnerable. As a bonus, they appear to be harmless stone statues (which almost never go noticed by people as odd).
Responsibility (Last of Their Kind)- Broadway and The Manhattan Clan are among the last Gargoyles alive (a list that happily grows larger over time).
Responsibility (The Manhattan Clan)- Clans are Serious Business to Gargoyles. Mess with one, you mess with them all.
Prejudice (Monster)- Gargoyles are very frightening to human beings.
Hatred (Guns)- Broadway accidentally shot Elisa while playing with her gun- as a result, he is the most fervently anti-gun of the Clan, and will immediately attack any enemies carrying one.
Obsession (Pop Culture)- Of all the Clan, Broadway enjoys TV and movies the most, and is often freeloading at the cinema. He loves detective stories the most, and this makes him rather annoying whenever Elisa's on a big case.
Relationship (Angela)- Angela eventually chose Broadway out of all the Gargoyles, after all the boys' competing.
Enemy (Tony Drakon)- Drakon's men threatened "his partner" Elisa, and Broadway holds a special hatred for the Mob Boss.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 14 (122)

-Broadway was a pretty simple archetype at first, being the most comedic of the Funny Trio of subserviant Gargoyles. He was fat, was obsessed with food (the easiest kind of joke to write, Matt Groening insists), acted kinda dopey, and was voiced by Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants (years ahead of the fact, of course). They took a unique viewpoint with him, though, making him into a pop culture nut who watched tons of old movies, especially Cops 'n' Robbers flicks, and gave him a "detective" bent, wearing Humphrey Bogart's gear as he attempted to solve mysteries.

-They got some mileage out of that role, though, having him act as Elisa's partner (despite her protests), with his carelessness being an occasional issue (one time jumping right into Elisa's firing line to chase a bad guy). He even got that Anvilicious "Gun Safety" episode where he SHOT ELISA by accident, though it was much better-written than most cartoon episodes of similar bent. Save for Goliath, it was Broadway who was closest with Elisa. This gave him some issues beyond "dumb fat guy", and made him a potential favourite.

-Broadway is more-or-less similar to Hudson physically (Greg "Created the show" Weissman has stated canonically that they are biologically father & son, though Gargoyles don't really consider such things important), being a big, strong fat guy, but he's got a bit of speed and stamina on the old man. Most of his Advantages are derived around being strong & powerful, but his particular enmity for guns (from that Gun Safety episode) makes him ideal for dealing with them, smooshing the weapons in people's hands repeatedly and dramatically. So he's got Disarm, Smash, and a handful of teamwork-styled Dazed & Teamwork stuff because of his tendency to use movie dialogue to make the bad guys pay attention to him.

-He's as much a team player as his two wacky brothers, but is notably more powerful- Brooklyn & Lexington don't have many strength feats, but Broadway can easily stretch and break out of a huge pile of bricks, or haul an elevator car up the shaft.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Slashfang! Necrosan! Goliath! Brooklyn! Broadway!)

Post by Ares »

Broadway also canonically ended up with Goliath's daughter, Angela.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.